New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5/PF] GitP Regulars as Soulmelds/Veils!

Quote Originally Posted by NeoPhoenix0 View Post
    Too soon man, you are doomed! Quick hide in this bunker filled and surrounded with nukes that will explode as soon as the door is opened after being closed.

That should solve my paladin problem if snowbluff doesn't get to it first.
    You know "Sense Motive" is a class skill for paladins right?

I figured 24 hours wasn't long enough for Snow to plan an attack. Washington is a lot of land to cover!

Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    Aww man... guess I joined the thread too late.
    This thread isn't dead yet. The next thread will have a time limit for voting. Post away!
    If purple is evil, bold gray is lawful good.

Extended Signature & Homebrew Signature

Check out my Celestial Compendium!

2. - Top - End - #122
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LoyalPaladin View Post
    You know "Sense Motive" is a class skill for paladins right?

I figured 24 hours wasn't long enough for Snow to plan an attack. Washington is a lot of land to cover!
    You know bluff is a class skill for sorcerers right?

Wait, washington? hmm, ring of fire, volcanoes... I know where to plant the nukes!

See, this is why i love the sorcerer more than the wizard. Strategy takes time and devotion, while having a lot of a mutli purpose tool and tactics allows for failure and more flexibility. It also promotes critical thinking. I honestly have no idea why the wizards are the inty ones when it is more a difference of long term planning and quick, critical thinking.
    Last edited by NeoPhoenix0; 2015-04-30 at 12:34 PM.

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

You should also make sure to state that all entries that are entered after 5pm PST will not be counted. I'll probably be the one rounding up votes, so I'd really enjoy it if we could ask people to follow the format and not add much extra material. It makes my job harder!
    If you're not around, I'll just wrap it up myself.
    Paladin Edit:
    (I should start writing "divine intervention".)
    I'll probably get around to wrangling votes up later in the evening tomorrow. I'm uh... going on a date. I didn't mention anything sooner because you know how Snowbluff gets...
    Man, I remember when I dated. It was awful. Good luck with that new Hell you've build for yourself. I don't even need to retaliate or anything. Good luck.
    Too soon man, you are doomed! Quick hide in this bunker filled and surrounded with nukes that will explode as soon as the door is opened after being closed.

That should solve my paladin problem if snowbluff doesn't get to it first.
    He'll wish he was dead by Saturday.
    You can still have a veil made after the voting process. The thread is not going anywhere.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Wait, washington? hmm, ring of fire, volcanoes... I know where to plant the nukes!
    Sure thing Galactic Overlord Xenu.

5. - Top - End - #125

If you're not around, I'll just wrap it up myself.
    Sounds good.

Man, I remember when I dated. It was awful. Good luck with that new Hell you've build for yourself. I don't even need to retaliate or anything. Good luck.
    That went better than expected.

It's not exactly a new hell. Its more like a recurring nightmare.
    Last edited by LoyalPaladin; 2015-04-30 at 12:38 PM.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla View Post
    Sure thing Galactic Overlord Xenu.
    You know the ring of fire is a series of volcanoes around the pacific ocean right?

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

What does geological formations and nuking volcanoes have to do with scientology? Oh and don't go too far, religion is one of those touchy subjects on the forum rules.
    Sort of a catch-22 then isn't it? Explain why this reference is appropriate, but without actually discussing the thing it references. If you type Xenu into google, you'll find the relevant answer pretty quickly. Or I suppose I could PM you if you want to hear it.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

Voting doesn't start until tomorrow, there's still time!

Also, how about this:

Danzibr's Crimson Totem
    Descriptors: none
    Class: Daevic
    Slot: Blood
    Saving Throw: none
    This totem glows a violent red as akashic energy is reinforced with pure life's blood.
    When shaping this veil, the veilweaver inflicts a small, harmless cut, allowing their blood to out and fill the akashic mold they've shaped. While this veil is shaped, the veilweaver gains an akashic totem, which can be wielded as a greatclub sized appropriately for the veilweaver, using their Constitution modifier in place of their Strength modifier when determining their bonus to attack and damage.
    Alternatively, the veilweaver may anchor the totem to any horizontal surface within reach; while anchored in this way, the totem cannot be wielded as a weapon, but it creates an aura with a 30 foot radius centered on itself. All allies within this area gain a +1 morale bonus on damage rolls. Anchoring or retrieving the totem is a move action, and the veilweaver does not need to be adjacent to the totem to retrieve it.
    Essence: For each point of essence invested in this ability, the totem gains an enhancement bonus equal to the total essence invested. An enhancement bonus that would exceed +5 must be spent to apply equivalent weapon abilities (for example, a totem with 6 essence invested could be treated as a +5 flaming or bane greatclub). When the totem is used to create the damage enhancing aura, the morale bonus to damage rolls increases by 1 per point of essence invested.
    Chakra Bind (Blood): When the wearer binds this veil to their blood, they unlock two potent abilities. When wielding the totem as a greatclub, any successful attack with it heals the wielder for 2 points of damage per point of essence invested (to a maximum of the damage dealt by that attack). This ability does not work if the attack is used to deal nonlethal damage. When using the totem to project an aura, all allies affected by the aura gain DR/ Bludgeoning equal to the essence invested. This stacks with other sources of DR/ Bludgeoning.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Troll in the Playground

Sort of a catch-22 then isn't it? Explain why this reference is appropriate, but without actually discussing the thing it references. If you type Xenu into google, you'll find the relevant answer pretty quickly. Or I suppose I could PM you if you want to hear it.
    yeah, i realized the catch after i posted and changed it completely.

I was, referring to a geological formation not... that.

Current avatar by me

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

I never heard what you thought about the veil I made for you. Well?

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

What action is required to anchor or un-anchor the totem? A move action?

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ssalarn View Post
    I never heard what you thought about the veil I made for you. Well?
    That would be because I completely missed it. It's beautiful. Thank you. Now I just need to get stormbringer out of my car and go to town.

13. - Top - End - #133

Voting doesn't start until tomorrow, there's still time!

Also, how about this:

<snip>
    Friggin' sweet. I love it! I'm honored :)

Makes me want to play a Daevic//Barbarian (we usually run gestalt), or just a Daevic roleplayed as a Barbarian.
    Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Good question.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

14. - Top - End - #134
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

I have no idea how these work but I'm down with having one of my own. I'm going to need an extended signature after this.
    Last edited by illyahr; 2015-04-30 at 01:57 PM.
    See my Extended Signature for my list of silly shenanigans.

Anyone is welcome to use or critique my 3.5 Fighter homebrew: The Vanguard.

I am a Dungeon Master for Hire that creates custom content for people and programs d20 content for the HeroLab character system. Please donate to my Patreon and visit the HeroLab forums.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Yeah, Move action. I fixed it to reflect that.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by illyahr View Post
    I have no idea how these work but I'm down with having one of my own. I'm going to need an extended signature after this.
    Lyre of Illyahir
    Descriptors: [sonic], [mind-affecting], [fear], [charm]
    Class: Vizier
    Slot: Hands, Wrists
    Saving Throw: Will

You summon a golden lyre of pure akasha, each string perfectly tuned to produce the easiest and most beautiful melodies available. You can choose to play this lyre as a standard action, if you do, all allies capable of hearing you gain a +1 morale bonus to attack and damage rolls. This bonus is increased by +1 for each point of essence invested in this veil.
    Chakra Bind (hands):[V2] Instead of playing a song to invigorate your allies, you can instead play a song to terrify your foes. While this veil is bound to your hands, you can play this veil as a standard action. Enemies that hear you play must succeed on a Will Save or become shaken. Should you continue to play on the following round, any creature shaken by this effect must succeed on another Will Save or become frightened. This is a sonic, mind affecting effect.
    Chakra Bind (Wrists):[V8] With this veil bound to your wrists, you can play a song to soothe enemies and make new friends. While you have this veil bound to your wrist slot, you may cast Charm Person as a spell like ability at will. If you have 4 or more points of essence invested in this veil, you may cast Charm Monster at will as a spell like ability. The Save DC for these effects is 10+ Essence Invested+ Intelligence Modifier. This is a mind affecting charm effect.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmmm....

I actually really like both Danzibr's Crimson Totem and Elric's Utterdark Shield. They might have to be added to the Supplemental release alongside our contest winner... Though I may need to drop the name attributions, particularly Elric since I have no idea where that falls in the realm of copyright issues and don't want to get Moorcock's people after me :P

18. - Top - End - #138
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Lyre of Illyahir
    Descriptors: [sonic], [mind-affecting], [fear], [charm]
    Class: Vizier
    Slot: Hands, Wrists
    Saving Throw: Will

You summon a golden lyre of pure akasha, each string perfectly tuned to produce the easiest and most beautiful melodies available. You can choose to play this lyre as a standard action, if you do, all allies capable of hearing you gain a +1 morale bonus to attack and damage rolls. This bonus is increased by +1 for each point of essence invested in this veil.
    Chakra Bind (hands):[V2] Instead of playing a song to invigorate your allies, you can instead play a song to terrify your foes. While this veil is bound to your hands, you can play this veil as a standard action. Enemies that hear you play must succeed on a Will Save or become shaken. Should you continue to play on the following round, any creature shaken by this effect must succeed on another Will Save or become frightened. This is a sonic, mind affecting effect.
    Chakra Bind (Wrists):[V8] With this veil bound to your wrists, you can play a song to soothe enemies and make new friends. While you have this veil bound to your wrist slot, you may cast Charm Person as a spell like ability at will. If you have 4 or more points of essence invested in this veil, you may cast Charm Monster at will as a spell like ability. The Save DC for these effects is 10+ Essence Invested+ Intelligence Modifier. This is a mind affecting charm effect.
    Hooray for battlefield manipulation!
    See my Extended Signature for my list of silly shenanigans.

Anyone is welcome to use or critique my 3.5 Fighter homebrew: The Vanguard.

I am a Dungeon Master for Hire that creates custom content for people and programs d20 content for the HeroLab character system. Please donate to my Patreon and visit the HeroLab forums.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Hmmm....

I actually really like both Danzibr's Crimson Totem and Elric's Utterdark Shield. They might have to be added to the Supplemental release alongside our contest winner... Though I may need to drop the name attributions, particularly Elric since I have no idea where that falls in the realm of copyright issues and don't want to get Moorcock's people after me :P
    Elric is an actual name you know. I'm pretty sure it comes from a Norse folk tale or something. As long as you don't explicitly call out soul sucking and albinos, you should be good.

20. - Top - End - #140

Hmmm....

Elric is an actual name you know. I'm pretty sure it comes from a Norse folk tale or something. As long as you don't explicitly call out soul sucking and albinos, you should be good.
    Unfortunately, danzibr just doesn't have as nice a ring.

Doesn't sound... fantasyish enough.
    Spoiler
    Show
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, that's part of why I like the ones that don't actually have anybody's name on them. Soulmelds (and maybe veils?) aren't supposed to represent a single person, but rather a vast concept, given physical shape. The trick, then, isn't making the name refer to the person, but the effect. In that way, the meld/veil is good on its own merits; those familiar with the person to whom it refers will get the added kick out of catching the reference.

I suppose it's a bit different from the other threads, in that respect.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I think it'd sound better if you wrote it as Danzibir. Would at least be easy to read phonetically. It sounds more like the name of a city than a person though.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

I read it Danzibir, too. It sounds nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    The trick, then, isn't making the name refer to the person, but the effect. In that way, the meld/veil is good on its own merits; those familiar with the person to whom it refers will get the added kick out of catching the reference.
    Nah, a part of the fun is having your name in the new akashic book.
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2015-04-30 at 04:42 PM.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

24. - Top - End - #144

I usually read it as...

I think it'd sound better if you wrote it as Danzibir. Would at least be easy to read phonetically. It sounds more like the name of a city than a person though.
    Dangit guys...

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

Necroticplague is posting his permission, for any that care to try.
    Last edited by Necroticplague; 2015-04-30 at 05:14 PM.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateWench

Not sure if I should try crafting of these.
    Iron Chef in the Playground LXVI - Honorable Mention : Azalin Stonecutter

Iron Chef Home Cooking in the Playground II - Second Place : Takenaka Kenshin

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KrimsonNekros View Post
    Not sure if I should try crafting of these.
    You should. It's good fun and a great way to practice homebrew.

28. - Top - End - #148

Nah, a part of the fun is having your name in the new akashic book.
    I usually read it as...

Dangit guys...
    Huh... danzibir, yeah, I can see that. Sometimes in my head I think it rhymes with with Zanzibar.
    Spoiler
    Show
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

29. - Top - End - #149
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateWench

Huh... danzibir, yeah, I can see that. Sometimes in my head I think it rhymes with with Zanzibar.
    Are you from Zanzibar, and familiar with the multiarmed Zanzibarbarian shark women?
    Iron Chef in the Playground LXVI - Honorable Mention : Azalin Stonecutter

Iron Chef Home Cooking in the Playground II - Second Place : Takenaka Kenshin

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

I have nothing useful to contribute beyond that I just watched Avengers 2 and you should all totally see it.
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show
    I always thought understanding Scottish required a fort save vs. Alcohol poisoning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twelve.five
    Hipsterdin- Smiting Heathens before it was cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla
    See, this wouldn't happen if you were a Zweihander Sentinel Warder with Silver Crane. You'd have a 60 ft. fly speed with good maneuverability, DR and glowing pants as early as level 8.

Pink is Neutral Evil, because reasons.

Exalted Monk Avatar by ThePrez1776