Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 109
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground
     
    DoctorGlock's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Precious Jerusalem

    Default Through the Faerie Ring IC

    A full moon hangs in the darkening skies above; the silver orb girt by stars like diamonds studding the red and blues of sunset. A winding path has been trampled through the wheat fields and long grass . It snakes past the farms on the periphery of the backwater township where you have spent the past few days. There it meets the wooded foothills of the vale's mountain girdle. Throughout the day the path has been trampled into the soft dirt and mud-- a gift of fall's first rainfall-- by hundreds of feet as townspeople make their way into the hills.

    As night falls, the pilgrimage has slowed from a constant trickle to nothing. People must wake early to get the crops in, and no fireside dance will change that, even if it does make the crops come in better. Besides, who wants to be nursing that hangover without a good nights sleep. Besides, who knows what comes out at night?

    But not for you are the superstitions of simple folk. Durance Crossing is a small and quiet town in the middle of a chaotic country; a good central place to meet and nothing more. But gods above! The drink they brew here! Whatever the local moonshine is, it is stronger than anything you have ever tasted. They said it's made with apples. Well, mostly apples, anyway. And what is the harm in participating in the ritual a bit? At the minimum you will blend in better and have some time to catch up in private...

    And the path gives way to old cobbles, sparse and worn smooth by centuries of ritual; a beaten path into the woods. When you reach the clearing the sky has darkened to deep midnight shades and the moon shines bright above. The bonfire that roared through the day is smoldering embers now, and the clearing is strewn with empty bottles.

    And rising above the ashen pyre are the dolmens. A circle of old stone pillars, roughly hewn and coated with ages-old moss and lichens. Some stand like gates, one slab perched above two more. The long grass has been beaten down by dancing feet around the old stones, but none have crossed the threshold.

    The people of Durance Crossing speak in hushed whispers of the dolmens, though none seem to know why. Some say they are the grave of old kings. Others say sleeping giants rest beneath the hill. Still others say it is where they fey steal through at night to snatch children back to their winter realms, and they quickly touch iron afterward.

    But not for you are the superstitions of simple folk. And it seems like a good place to sit and enjoy the drink.

    It does taste a bit of apples now, doesn't it? Well, mostly apples...

    And now one of you has started another bonfire, though the bright moonlight seems to have washed the colors out. It's too pale. But the drink is flowing strong one someone started singing. You never would have guessed he had such a singing voice. Which of them is that now? Your head is spinning.

    Oh well, there were more bottles. Nothing another nip won't fix.

    And now you are dancing, because someone was singing, and because it's tradition and seemed like a good idea at the time. And above the stars are wheeling, unless that's just your pounding head, and as you dance about the landscape seen through the dolmen gates seems to dance and shift with you. And someone is singing again but there seem to be too many voices and the laughing sounds off and everything is spinning and fading.

    Fading to black...


    ____________________

    The first to wake with the pounding of a vicious hangover is Desssria. More accurately, the first to be woken up, by a gentle tapping on her forehead.

    'Hey, what happened to you? Did you cross a puck and get enboggled? Never seen someone enboggled before.'

    The voice seemed to be coming from mere inches above her nose. Not just seemed, she realized as her eyes cracked open. Sitting on her nose is a tiny childlike figure, no more than four inches tall, dressed in clothing seemingly made from flower petals and a breastplate of tree bark. Fine dragonfly wings sprout from his back and in his hands is a spear, no more than a twig with a long thorn lashed to the end. The blunt end is softly prodding Desssria between the eyes.

    'What happened to your friends?' he continued, radiating excited innocence. 'Did some big nasty-nasty come while you were sleeping and nibble on your ears?' You note his are slightly pointed, much like an elf's. 'No, they'd be all leaky if that happened,' he continues. The little figure's face falls a bit at that, disappointment obvious on his face. 'I wanted to fight a nasty-nasty,' he said dejectedly, slumping forward a bit. 'You lot look like Sidhe-- well, except you, but you've probably been emboggled, after all-- but something went and nibbled on year ears without making a mess. Oooh, it's a mystery!' He seems to perk up a bit at the prospect.

    And that's when you note the sky behind the figure. It is deep with the purple hues of twilight and a scintillating aurora snakes its way across a sky studded with uncountable unfamiliar stars. The long crass you are lying in is shades of royal purple and gold... and the little figure sitting on your face can only be a fairy, like in the little tales, but those are just tales for children, right?

    But this is no tale, as the gentle weight on your face reminds you. And you certainly are not in Durance Crossing anymore...
    Last edited by DoctorGlock; 2015-04-27 at 07:59 PM.
    I work very irregular hours and usually very long ones at that. If I do not respond to something in a timely manner pester me in an OOC thread. If something big is happening in the Middle East I will probably be busy for a few days because I am the idiot wearing kevlar and interviewing people on the fronts.

    Do you like MTG? Do you like Gitp? We have a Discord server for like minded players.

    Currently Running: Through the Faerie Ring

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Illven's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: Through the Faerie Ring IC

    Melinda moaned.

    Okay.... Maybe too much drunk last night. Kinda want a cure spell right about now. She rolled over, trying to go back to sleep.

    Then bumped into Desssria.

    Gah! Wait... Then she saw the fairy.

    What the hell is going on here?
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.
    Avatar by Honest Tiefling

    Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    NinjaGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Through the Faerie Ring IC

    It had been a fine evening: warm, but with a pleasantly cool breeze sweeping in from the north. The town of Durance Crossing had been in fine form preparing for the fireside dance, and the liquor had flowed freely all day and late into the night. But Kiirion had hardly noticed the revelry, although he had partaken of his fair share of the firewater. Okay, maybe more than his fair share. You see, Kiirion had been thinking. Thinking about home and about the future. His thoughts had been grim as he considered the possibility that perhaps he simply wasn’t cut out for the glorious life of a noble knight-errant.

    Eschewing the company of his traveling companions and the cheerful warmth of the inn’s fire, Kiirion had wandered out into the starry night and lain down in the stables, his head resting at an awkward angle against his mare’s outstretched flank. He had spent awhile gazing up at those distant, cold stars, wearily wondering if his name would ever be counted amongst their numbers. Finally, blissfully, he had drifted off to sleep.

    And he had dreamed. And his dreams were strange.

    They had started off normally enough. He had already saved a distressed damsel or three before the strangeness had set in. He had been in the process of adroitly cleaving a villainous ogre in twain when, all of a sudden, he had felt the earth give way beneath his feet, and then he had been in freefall, plummeting into an endless, black abyss. That’s when the noises had begun, noises so otherworldly that Kiirion had sought in vain to plug his ears, for he was certain that the sound would drive him to madness. And then the lights, like will-o’-the-wisps, except that their fire had seared his retinas. And finally the creatures, nightmares given form that had pursued him relentlessly, denying him even a moment’s respite.



    Kiirion awoke with a scream. And in the heartbeat of blind sleep paralysis that followed his awakening, he knew for an absolutely certainty that he must have died. One heartbeat of pure, stark-raving terror that seemed to stretch for an eternity, until finally his muscles deigned to respond to his brain’s frantic entreaties. Then he felt his mare’s slow and steady heartbeat thudding in her ribcage and the solidity of her presence, and he breathed a long sigh of relief. It had all been a dream—a gruesome, lucid nightmare, true, but unreal just the same.

    Then Kiirion opened his eyes and beheld an unreal reality. That’s when he began to laugh. It started as a half-strangled, half-psychotic giggle, but soon developed into a full-throated belly laugh. As soon as he’d glimpsed the fairy perched on Desssria’s nose, he’d known exactly where he must be--more or less. And he knew that he’d finally found his adventure.

    Still shaking with mirth, Kiirion struggled to his feet and slowly stretched his aching limbs, pausing for a moment to work out the crick that had developed in his neck overnight and simultaneously marveling at the purple sky and the golden grass. That done, he bent down toward the fairy, executing a half-bow in the process and trying his best to be as non-threatening as possible. Then, respectfully, I am called Kiirion; what might your name be, daoine sìth?
    "Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -- Douglas Adams

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Leeds, UK

    Default Re: Through the Faerie Ring IC

    Thanquil wakes with a groan and rolls over searching for his glasses and his pack. He finds he'd been using his pack for a pillow and pulls out his waterskin and takes a long drink before opening his eyes and looking around. Even without his lenses (which he most have misplaced during the revelry as he can't find them) he can tell that the place he has awoken was far different from the one he last remembered partying at. This revelation does little for his hangover and he heaves up what was left in his stomach from the night before then takes another drink from his waterskin.

    Looking round at his companions he asks "So does anyone remember what happened last night? How did we come to be here?"

    He then notices the fairy sat on Desssria's forehead and runs through all the information he knows about the Fey.

    Spoiler: Knowledge roll
    Show
    Knowledge (nature) to identify the fairy: (1d20+9)[20]


    "Greetings little one, we had a confusing night, could you please tell me where we are?" He asks the fairy.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    England

    Default Re: Through the Faerie Ring IC

    "Em-whattled? No, I don't think so." Apparently, in her post-drunk state, it hasn't yet registered on Desssria's mind precisely what she was talking to. Then again, she also hadn't gotten around to opening her eyes yet. "I'm pretty sure my 'friends' were born like that. And I look like this normally, just a little more vertical. And awake."

    Finally, the catfolk got around to opening her eyes. The little fey still didn't seem to have registered, as the bloodshot eyes didn't glance up at him so much as down at herself, just to make sure no-one had considered her an appropriate target for drunken pranks after the alcohol had finally taken her.

    "...And more dressed, " she added, having glanced down enough to tell she was showing far more fur than she liked to around humans. She sighed, glancing up at the person who'd been prodding her. A series of rapid blinks followed, as her brain slowly clicked into gear.

    She then jumped to entirely the wrong conclusion, screamed "BUG!", and attempted a swatting motion at the thing on her forehead. She seemed to lose interest part way through, however, with the burst of energy quickly transitioning into a low groan and an attempt to hold her temples to stop her brain leaking out.

    Moral of the story is, even in the Faerie world, screaming and hangovers don't mix.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2009

    Default Re: Through the Faerie Ring IC

    Keith groaned and stretched, as he heard whispers of noises and conversations all around him. Not quite sober enough just enough, he started blinking and rubbing the sleep from his eyes. As he opened them, he slowly started to take in the purple skies and the long, golden grass. He took a deep breath, breathing air that smelled fragrant, but unfamiliar. Almost immediately, he started getting up and looking around him. While everyone else was engrossed in their new surroundings, Keith had to take deep breaths and calm himself down first. In all reality, he was not as smart as some of his friends - he truly had no indication where he was. Part of him couldn't help but smile when he saw Kiirion get up and start prancing around - that kid had way too much energy after a night of drinking. But he just couldn't share Kiirion's enthusiasm - Keith had wanted to get drunk, not end up in a strange and new world. But Kiirion's happiness was infectious and Keith was already looking around in anticipation. Perhaps this would not be that bad - at least the small little fairy did not seem like a hostile enemy.

    Seeing Thanquil start to approach the fairy, Keith took a deep breath and sighed. He felt relieved that at least someone was going to act a little more rational. Taking advantage of his extra time, he started looking around to check up on the others. Melinda was still next to Desssria, looking just as confused as he was a few moments ago. Desssria was beginning to freak out, but she was still obviously hungover from last night - a thought that made Keith smile yet again. Counting out the people, Keith cocked his head and wondered where Elliot was. It isn't often you lose sight of such a large man - especially one with a temper like his. Keith wasn't too worried - if anything he would be worried for anything that tried to cross Elliot's path - but still, Keith reflexively started looking around. Keeping an eye out on everyone, he tried to gauge what everyone was feeling.

    For now, Keith decided to keep silent. No reason to intrude on the conversation if he had nothing to add, after all.

    Spoiler: Spot and Listen checks, for the surroundings
    Show

    (d20+11)[30]

    (d20+11)[22]


    Spoiler: Sense Motive checks, just in case. Particularly for the little guy.
    Show

    (d20+11)[16]
    (d20+11)[20]
    (d20+11)[19]
    (d20+11)[25]
    (d20+11)[19]
    Last edited by JKTrickster; 2015-04-29 at 01:06 PM.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground
     
    DoctorGlock's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Precious Jerusalem

    Default Re: Through the Faerie Ring IC

    The pixie stopped poking Desssria's forehead long enough to look indignant at Kiirion. 'Daonine Sith? I'm not nearly fat enough to be one of those overgrown market hagglers! I am Gaelin of the petal fens! By the curve in the brook with the mossy rocks!' he says, puffing his tiny chest out proudly and hefting his spear skywards. 'What sort of name is Kiirion? It sounds like something out of a manling tale!' he adds with a little laugh which turns into a shocked and indignant squeak as Desssria began to flail drunkenly at him. Launching himself into the air he waves his twig spear around frantically.

    'Bug!?' he shrieks in a tiny, high pitched voice. 'That's even worse than marketmonger! Where did you learn manners, in a goblin den? No wonder some angry puck emboggled you or some nasty-nasty ate all your ears.' He turns his head away haughtily, crossing his arms for effect (and accidentally dropping his spear in the process. He poorly manages to conceal a pout) and turning towards Thanquil, giving an odd little airborne bow more akin to a looping dip.

    'Well, you're ok at least. You're about a league sunwards of primrose meadow by the babbling brook of bitter exile.' The names-- if they are names, rather than descriptions-- are entirely meaningless to you.

    Thankquil:

    Spoiler
    Show
    It fits the description to know of a pixie perfectly-- as if being a four inch tall humanoid with dragonfly wings weren't a dead giveaway, the childlike excitable demeanor fits with all the old tales. Though you do know a smattering of the tales-- not many faerie stories are as innocent as the pixie tales told to children. Known for being fairly innocent, they can engage in mischief if insulted or bored, though nothing more than the spoiling milk and other trivial nuisance varieties. Some stories have them helping lost children find their way out of the woods, and often are portrayed as helpful, if somewhat inept. Other stories have them dropping the odd bit of cryptic knowledge or advice used by the protagonist to defeat evil witches and the like.Groups of them are said to be capable of near hypnotic displays of light and color-- come to think of it, the little guy does appear to be glowing faintly now that he's gotten excited. It's a little blueish.


    Keith:
    Spoiler
    Show

    Sense motive: The little guy seems to be pretty honest, in a childlike way. Honest, if not particularly helpful. He comes off as entirely certain of what he is saying.

    Perceptions: You focus on your surroundings... a faint breeze whispers through the long grasses-- with a start you realize that is more literal than poetic license, as you can swear you hear the faintest trace of whispers on the wind. The sound blends together with the hummingbird buzz of the tiny fae's wings and the distant murmuring of a brook-- and something else. In the air and in the earth, there is a sensation of presence you are not used to. It is the feeling of being in the room where someone sleeps-- there is something alive here, a sense of fullness, of waiting just on the cusp of perception-- and it suffuses everything.

    You also not the horizons. On one, the twilight seems to deepen, the stars becoming more pronounced by just the faintest margin. On the other, by just as faint a degree, the sky seems to brighten to the shade between sunset and twilight. In the distance, towards the darker side of the sky you think you can see some sort of structure a few miles out, and beyond it deep violent forests before rising grey peaks that seem to scrape the skies.
    Last edited by DoctorGlock; 2015-04-30 at 09:55 PM.
    I work very irregular hours and usually very long ones at that. If I do not respond to something in a timely manner pester me in an OOC thread. If something big is happening in the Middle East I will probably be busy for a few days because I am the idiot wearing kevlar and interviewing people on the fronts.

    Do you like MTG? Do you like Gitp? We have a Discord server for like minded players.

    Currently Running: Through the Faerie Ring

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    NinjaGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Through the Faerie Ring IC

    More than a little taken aback and very much chagrined by the faery’s vehement reply, Kiirion’s initial elation was quickly replaced by a furious blush and a mumbled apology.

    It was at this juncture that Kiirion’s military training finally decided to assert itself. He devoted a few moments to properly taking stock of his situation and his surroundings, with a particular eye (and ear) to any threats that may be lurking in the immediate vicinity, before unselfconsciously transitioning to his standard morning routine, displaying the practiced ease of a veteran campaigner very much at home in an unfamiliar (and potentially hostile) environment.

    First things first, he checked on the wellbeing of his courser, Cimmaron. Satisfied that she had not been harmed by the unexpected journey into Faerie, Kiirion called on his innate magic. At his touch, Kiirion and each of his companions* were briefly surrounded by a warm glow, accompanied by a not unpleasant tingling sensation. Anyone paying careful attention would have noticed that as Kiirion murmured a final invocation, his eyes began to gleam softly in the strange light of Faerie before reverting to their normal shade of green shortly thereafter. That done, he donned his ringmail and his gauntlets and performed a quick but thorough inspection of his remaining armaments: pike, longbow, and dagger. Finally, he knelt briefly on the ground, preparing himself mentally for the day ahead and offering a silent prayer to Heironeous to grant him strength and the wisdom to employ it justly.

    As he stood, Kiirion addressed Thanquil with a grin, You know, from the looks of things, you might wind up writing that ballad after all. Then, Anyone care to pick a cardinal direction?

    Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Spot: [roll0]
    Listen: [roll1]
    Invocations:
    • Endure Exposure: Per Endure Elements, except that affected creatures are also immune to Kiirion’s breathweapon. Duration: 24 hours.
    • See the Unseen: Grants darkvision and See Invisibility. Duration: 24 hours.
    Stance: Martial Spirit
    Maneuvers Readied: Crusader’s Strike, Charging Minotaur, Leading the Attack, Tactical Strike, Mountain Hammer
    "Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -- Douglas Adams

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Illven's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: Through the Faerie Ring IC

    I'm sorry, where is that? Melinda asks the creature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.
    Avatar by Honest Tiefling

    Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    HalflingPirate

    Join Date
    Dec 2009

    Default Re: Through the Faerie Ring IC

    With his eyes narrowly open and leaning against a stone in sitting position, Elliot had awoke a while ago, he stood still the whole time to presence the scene with something that looks like a little faerie. While the scene evolves, he uses his smell sense to try to catch an aroma that indicates there is more of that little things around the camp. As the chat continues, Elliot see that this situation seems harmless to everyone but he decides to keep monitoring the situation.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    Knowledge(Nature) Check on the creature: (1d20+7)[14]
    Sense Motive Check on the creature: (1d20+4)[15]
    Use Scent and Spot check to find nearby creatures: (1d20+7)[13]
    3.99 Project, Trying to Improve the 3.5 version, current fixes:

    - Soulknife Fix
    - Samurai Rework
    - Paladin Fix

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    England

    Default Re: Through the Faerie Ring IC

    "Not so loud, please." The catfolk flicks her ears up at the repeated mention of everyone's ears being 'eaten', but chooses not to make an issue out of the assertion. Simple reason, high-pitched whining wasn't helping the state of her head any. She didn't want to encourage him.

    As Desssria slowly pulls herself into a sitting position, she notices the dropped spear. "I've never made a weapon quite this size, " she muses to herself quietly, as she scooped up and examined the twig. "But I'm sure I could. At this size you could get away with pure metal, single small rod smoothed down on one end for a handle and filed down on the other end to make a point. Melt down the filings and there's probably enough to make a buckler... if I can work out some way of beating it into shape and attaching arm-slings to something smaller than my claws..."

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2009

    Default Re: Through the Faerie Ring IC

    Keith had taken the time to assess the situation and he could already see some interesting things in the horizon. He decided that it would be best if Thanquil had some extra time with the pixie if they wanted any more information. Moving close to Kiirion, Keith placed a hand on his shoulder and shook his head. "Be patient," he said as he took a deep breath. "Let's give Thanquil time to talk before we jump to conclusions about going anywhere. I think we should find out more about where we are." Looking about, his eyes could spot some kind of structure in the faraway distance - the only sign of other inhabitants in this strange realm. "Gaelin seems to be a genuinely kind fellow - there's no reason why we shouldn't ask him while he's still flying about."

    Walking next to Thanquil, Keith lowered his voice and pointed out in the direction of the structure. "I can't quite make it out, but there seems to be something over there," he said as he gestured towards the darker side of the sky. "Everything seems slightly darker over there and I even see deep violet forests and even high mountains out in the distance. But before then, I see this structure that I can't quite make out. Maybe Gaelin can tell us more, if you ask?" Keith pointed out to Thanquil.

    As Thanquil handled talking to the flying pixie, Keith went over to help Melinda and Desssria get up to their feet. "Maybe we can get some water so you two can feel better about your headaches?" Keith said with a look of concern on his face. "Looks like we might have drank a lot - I still don't even know how we might have gotten here," Keith said as he rubbed the back of his head. "Maybe Elliot might know where in the wilderness we are but I suspect that this is nowhere familiar."

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Leeds, UK

    Default Re: Through the Faerie Ring IC

    "Greetings Gaelin of the petal fens" Thanquil says, then coughs and takes another swig of water. He was rather confused after waking with a killer hangover in a place he had never before seen to talk with what appeared to be a pixie. But looking round he decided that incapacitated in a strange place it would be better to try and befriend the pixie rather than alienate any potential friends in this strange land.

    "I apologise for my companions words, I'm sure they meant no harm. We are all disoriented you see. We don't know how we came to be here." Thanquil says before pausing and listening to what Keith had to whisper.

    "Ugh Gaelin, my friend indicates that he there is some structure over that way. Is it the market you spoke of earlier?"

    Thanquil then turns and addresses Kiirion. "Aye it seems I might, not the way I was expecting it to begin though. Perhaps we should wait a little and try to make some sense of this before marching out at random?"

    Spoiler: Diplomacy
    Show
    A diplomacy check if you feel it necessary.
    (1d20+16)[23]

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground
     
    DoctorGlock's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Precious Jerusalem

    Default Re: Through the Faerie Ring IC

    'The petal fens?' the Fae asked Melinda. 'About a league thataway,' said, pointing more or less sunward of the group, away from the tower. 'I heard one of you mention water, there's a stream back thataway too, and then a road, and then a whole bunch of other things I've never seen and then the end of the world, but I've never been there.'

    Spinning around, quick as a hummingbird, he turns back to Thankquil. 'Just Gaelin, the petal fens is where we live ever since the exile,' he says, scowling grimly in the direction of the distant tower. 'And that is no market,' he adds, gesturing towards the tower. 'That is out ancestral home, cruelly stolen from us by the dark ones in times I don't remember but our elder does on account of being our elder and all and knowing all sorts of useful things.'

    'Well, we don't have a forge or anything so we make do with what we have,' he says sort of offhandedly (as much of what he says seems to be) to Desssria. 'We probably had a forge before the exile-- our elder says-- say, what is the reeking stink?' his words trail off as his eyes go wide, focused on Kiirion.

    'Iron! That's Iron! How can you bear to... Wait! You're Starborn! Mortals! Manlings! Don't eat my bones for bread!'
    I work very irregular hours and usually very long ones at that. If I do not respond to something in a timely manner pester me in an OOC thread. If something big is happening in the Middle East I will probably be busy for a few days because I am the idiot wearing kevlar and interviewing people on the fronts.

    Do you like MTG? Do you like Gitp? We have a Discord server for like minded players.

    Currently Running: Through the Faerie Ring

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    England

    Default Re: Through the Faerie Ring IC

    "No, no. Bones are used for soup. Bread is made out of grain. Either way, I'm not really in the habit of eating stuff that can still talk.

    Anyway, is Iron really that rare around here?
    " Desssria asks, having a blacksmith's natural panic at the thought of ending up in a metal-poor region. "We've gone through a few metals in our history. Iron is the best one we've been able to find enough of to use regularly.

    Still, I'm guessing from that reaction that I probably shouldn't attempt to make you an iron spear. I could use Copper or Bronze? They're not as good as Iron in a fight, but still an improvement over twig-and-thorn weaponry...
    "

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground
     
    DoctorGlock's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Precious Jerusalem

    Default Re: Through the Faerie Ring IC

    'Are you sure? Because I heard say in a manling tale that you make bread out of bones. And that you drink blood every morning to recover strength you lost at night on account of being mortal and constantly dying,' Gaelin asks, voice full of suspicion. 'Of course we don't have iron here! It's wrong! Painful! It makes everything silent except for it's ugly buzzing. It can't be glammered or grammered or shaped or tricked or named! And bronze is for ugly hobs or gobs. Don't you have proper metals where you come from? Like moonsilver or thunderbolt ore or mythril and mirrorglass?' he pipes, suspicion replaced by a sort of condescending pity, as if speaking to primitives.

    Eliot:
    Spoiler
    Show

    Knowledge:

    It fits the description to know of a pixie perfectly-- as if being a four inch tall humanoid with dragonfly wings weren't a dead giveaway, the childlike excitable demeanor fits with all the old tales. Though you do know a smattering of the tales-- not many faerie stories are as innocent as the pixie tales told to children. Known for being fairly innocent, they can engage in mischief if insulted or bored, though nothing more than the spoiling milk and other trivial nuisance varieties. Some stories have them helping lost children find their way out of the woods, and often are portrayed as helpful, if somewhat inept. Other stories have them dropping the odd bit of cryptic knowledge or advice used by the protagonist to defeat evil witches and the like.Groups of them are said to be capable of near hypnotic displays of light and color-- come to think of it, the little guy does appear to be glowing faintly now that he's gotten excited. It's a little blueish.

    Sense motive:

    As far as you can tell he is sincere, if excitable

    Perceptions:

    You can detect no one else nearby


    Kiirion

    Spoiler
    Show
    Perceptions: You focus on your surroundings... a faint breeze whispers through the long grasses-- with a start you realize that is more literal than poetic license, as you can swear you hear the faintest trace of whispers on the wind. The sound blends together with the hummingbird buzz of the tiny fae's wings and the distant murmuring of a brook-- and something else you can quite identify, but you can't shake the feeling that you are not alone...

    Why yes, I am recycling the perception checks of other players with edits where appropriate...
    I work very irregular hours and usually very long ones at that. If I do not respond to something in a timely manner pester me in an OOC thread. If something big is happening in the Middle East I will probably be busy for a few days because I am the idiot wearing kevlar and interviewing people on the fronts.

    Do you like MTG? Do you like Gitp? We have a Discord server for like minded players.

    Currently Running: Through the Faerie Ring

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    England

    Default Re: Through the Faerie Ring IC

    "Well, it sounds like it's been awhile since you last ran into some of us. I wouldn't be surprised if what body part goes into what food had gotten mixed up in the interval. Stories do change in the telling, after all...

    Still, have to say, blood's not such a bad taste. I do prefer milk though, and most of this lot prefer... how should I put this... anything that's had time to ferment? Blood isn't very good at fermenting. It just tends to congeal if you leave it outside an animal for too long.

    But for the metals... yeah, we have them. They're rare and expensive back in our lands, though, and it's a rich man indeed who owns a suit of adamantine or mythril. If they're that common around here, I'd love to get my hands on some - as a craftswoman, it's always a rare treat to get to work in an unusual metal...
    "

    For some reason (that's clearly in no way resembling a hangover...) it never seems to have occured to Desssria that it might have been better for her to claim to be vegetarian. Besides, in her mind her diet's just a minor thing now. This... little insect man... had just let slip that some of the rarest and most valuable metals in the world were to be found around here! And the locals didn't have a forge of their own... There were opportunities for an enterprising smith there, oh yes there were...

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2009

    Default Re: Through the Faerie Ring IC

    Keith shook his head and grinned at the exchange that was happening between Desssria and Gaelin, the flying pixie. He wasn't sure if Desssria was intentionally messing with the small fae or not - she was someone who always spoke what was on her mind and that made her a refreshing person to be around, if not a little chaotic and unexpected. Despite the strange circumstances and new land they were thrust upon, Desssria was helping Keith calm down and not overreact, even if she didn't know that was what she was doing. Keeping things lighthearted is pretty important, Keith thought with a smile as he looked around. For now, it seems like we are safe - that is an important blessing at least.

    "What our friend means to say," Keith interrupted as he placed a hand on Desssria's shoulder. "Is that we will not eat you. Mortals aren't accustomed to do that, despite what you might have heard. You are safe in our company," he tried to say as succinctly as he could. He couldn't quite find the words to support what he was saying though - how does one convince a fae pixie that he will be safe in their hands? After all, it seemed like Gaelin had no reason not to fly away, just to be safe. "Umm...Thanquil. Help me out here. Tell Gaelin why he can be sure to trust us," he said as he turned to his older friend. He trusted that his friend would be able to handle the challenge, even if it was a little unorthodox.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Leeds, UK

    Default Re: Through the Faerie Ring IC

    "As my friend Keith here says, you have no need to worry that we would eat you. In fact we have food of our own, I was just going to have some. Would you like to join me for a bite to eat?" Thanquil says, hoping to distract Gaelin from Desssrias like for the taste of blood. He reaches into his pack to pull out some trail rations hoping that some food would settle his stomach and start to clear his hangover.

    "I'm sorry to have brought iron into your presence, I wasn't expecting to awaken in such company." Thanquil says as he sits down to have a few bites to eat. "I shall put my iron away now, will that settle your worry?" He says as he tucks his rapier, arrows, belt buckle and other iron objects into his haversack. He then uses prestidigitation to flavour his food and offers some to Gaelin. What flavour will a pixie like? Thanquil wondered. Fruit and berries I guess, I'll go for a fry up though, that always helps with a hangover...

    "My companions, I think we should have a bite to eat and talk some more before we decide in which direction to head." Thanquil says to the group. "Has anyone pieced together how we came to be here?"

    "Gaelin, perhaps after we eat, you could take us to the elder you spoke of earlier? I have some questions I'd like to ask him." Thanquil asked the pixie.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Diplomacy: (1d20+16)[19]
    Place all weapons (and other iron objects) in haversack, get out trail rations and sit.
    Cast Prestidigitation and flavour my trail rations like a fry up and the bits I offer to gaelin like berries and fruit.
    Last edited by Dread_Head; 2015-05-10 at 06:17 AM.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    HalflingPirate

    Join Date
    Dec 2009

    Default Re: Through the Faerie Ring IC

    Elliot is now with eyes fully open watching the pixie and others interact. He reached his haversack from his back and start searching with a hand inside of it, realizing his rations are no more (cuz he ate the last one a day ago), he stand up in one jump and put the sack back to it's place on his back, it seems the hang over from last night didn't hit him. "Time to eat, isn't it", interrupting the chat of his companions. "I ran out of food so I will go to explore the surroundings and see what can I hunt for lunch", Elliot is not a diplomatic and his manners are the ones of who live in the wild. Not expecting anyone willing to go git him he walk towards the woods to start hunting.
    3.99 Project, Trying to Improve the 3.5 version, current fixes:

    - Soulknife Fix
    - Samurai Rework
    - Paladin Fix

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    NinjaGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Through the Faerie Ring IC

    Kiirion listened intently to Thanquil's conversation with Gaelin, but as he scanned the immediate environs, a look of concern passed briefly over his face. "I do apologize for the iron, friend Gaelin, but this isn't exactly the most defensible position, and there's an itch between my shoulder blades that I can't quite seem to shake. I haven't a clue how we got here, but I've got a feeling that we're not alone...

    Kiirion trailed off as his treasonous stomach grumbled loudly, belying the seriousness of his words. But I suppose that a quick bite to eat couldn't hurt, Kiirion said sheepishly as he planted his pike in the ground beside him and reached into Cimmaron's saddlebags for his rations.

    As Kiirion looked up from his packs, he espied Elliot striding toward the woods. Uhm, are you sure this is the time to go wandering off on your own?, he called after Elliot. Then, turning to Thanquil, Do you think we should follow him?
    "Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -- Douglas Adams

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Leeds, UK

    Default Re: Through the Faerie Ring IC

    "I agree that we shouldn't all split up in an unknown place." Thranduil said and then trailed off realising it was a bit late to stop Elliot. "Why doesn't someone go with him?"
    Last edited by Dread_Head; 2015-05-12 at 06:43 AM.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2009

    Default Re: Through the Faerie Ring IC

    Keith turned and looked on as Elliot began venturing out into the faerie wilderness. Part of him wondered if he should accompany Elliot before Kiirion or Thanquil even voiced their concerns; after all, none of them really knew what was in that faerie wilderness and something seemed to make Keith feel like there were always eyes watching the back of his head. Besides, Keith had run out of rations too and he figured that his archery skills could help safely secure some game without putting Elliot in trouble. But at the same time, Keith was hesitant to go out foraging with the wild man. Of everyone in the group, Keith probably knew Elliot the least. Unlike the others, Elliot was not easy to read and he barely spoke out to anyone during the night before. All Keith knew was that Elliot and Thanquil were long time friends and partners - but perhaps that was as good of a start as any.

    Before Thanquil was finished talking, Keith was already walking off with Elliot. That's the best part of controlling time - you always seem on top of things even when you take forever to decide. Looking back, Keith smiled and nodded. "I'll go with Elliot - two sets of eyes are better than one. Hopefully we'll get some thing to bring back to the camp! Just set up shop here and we'll be back before you know it," Keith said as his quick legs helped him catch up to Elliot. On the outside, Keith looked rather calm and collected, but honestly he wasn't quite sure what motivated him to come out with Elliot. Although, perhaps he simply wanted to spend some time with the most reclusive member in their group.

    "Hey Elliot, so do you have any plans on where to start foraging?" Keith asked as he caught up. Trying to think of something to say, Keith settled for the mundane and obvious question that was on his mind. "I don't know how much help I might be but I have keen eyes and fast hands. Still, this is a foreign land and I'm honestly not sure how we can safely find something to eat. Do you recognize anything from around here? Or anything that might seem familiar to the forests back home?"

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground
     
    DoctorGlock's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Precious Jerusalem

    Default Re: Through the Faerie Ring IC

    'Well, if you insist...' he says. 'I suppose I did expect something more... you know scary? Single burning eye weeping blood kind of stuff. The stories are generally pretty scary. I mean, I've never met a mortal. I certainly don't think anyone else has in a very long time. Even our elder hasn't. And he's seen everything. Well, everything for even dozens of miles around! Say, maybe that's the issue-- you don't have proper metals and you're surrounded by bitter stinging iron all the time-- bound to get kind of upset. Like bleeding burning eyes and bone-soup-bread kind of upset.' he says, gesturing wildly all around.

    'I suppose we can go meet the elder after eating-- especially if it isn't something icky like bone soup bread. What kind of mortal food did you bring?' he asks, eyes wide with excitement. 'Is it something like-- wait, you can't go that way! Not that forest! There are nasty-nasties in the tower who will do horrible things to you!'
    I work very irregular hours and usually very long ones at that. If I do not respond to something in a timely manner pester me in an OOC thread. If something big is happening in the Middle East I will probably be busy for a few days because I am the idiot wearing kevlar and interviewing people on the fronts.

    Do you like MTG? Do you like Gitp? We have a Discord server for like minded players.

    Currently Running: Through the Faerie Ring

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    HalflingPirate

    Join Date
    Dec 2009

    Default Re: Through the Faerie Ring IC

    As Elliot walk into the woods he hear others including the pixie screams about not to go in that direction, also, he noted one of them start to following him, he stop his march until Keith get closer. Many things are on his head about the place, it feels strange yes, but also the urge to know what is near or far inside the woods invades him.

    Keith reaches Elliot with some questions, trying to break the ice. Elliot already think about it while walking and with calm he respond:

    "This place makes me feel uneasy, I want to explore the surroundings to see if I can figure out where we are looking what kind of flora and fauna are in this place, let's walk circling the camp going a little far each time, whenever we see something peculiar or out of place we stop and try to figure out it before we decide to approach, If we feel in danger we can shortcut straight to the camp. We will hunt only if I feel safe to do so, we don't know yet if we are predators or prey..." years of experience had spoken.
    Last edited by Drako_Beoulve; 2015-05-13 at 04:00 PM.
    3.99 Project, Trying to Improve the 3.5 version, current fixes:

    - Soulknife Fix
    - Samurai Rework
    - Paladin Fix

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    England

    Default Re: Through the Faerie Ring IC

    "I didn't bring anything, I'm afraid. Not sure if the others did. We... weren't exactly planning to travel today, you see. There was a party, some fermented apples, and next thing I can remember, you're prodding me between the eyes with a spear-haft.

    Did anyone else bring food? Or drink?
    "

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Leeds, UK

    Default Re: Through the Faerie Ring IC

    "I've never met anyone who wasn't a mortal before, we aren't as scary as your stories have made us out to be. When you call us mortal do you mean to say that you aren't? How does that work?" Thanquil asks Gaelin, then at his last outburst. "Don't worry Gaelin, they are't going to the tower, only scouting into the woods a little way." Thanquil says trying to calm the pixie down. Still he looked worriedly at his departing friends maybe we shouldn't have split up, too late now of course... We'll have to talk about this later.

    "I have some trail rations which I can share and a waterskin. Did no one else bring any food? Lets hope that Eliiot and Keith manage to find some then, I don't have more than a days food for all of us." Thanquil says looking at his companions before reaching into his havesack for more trail rations to hand out. "Here you go, it provides sustenance but it is rather bland, I can flavour it however you want with a little magic though. I'll magic us up a little extra water as well." Thanquil says before casting a little spell and filling a hollow up with water.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Pass out food to everyone using prestidigitation to flavour it as they request. Then cast create water and fill up his waterskin.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    HalflingPirate

    Join Date
    Dec 2009

    Default Re: Through the Faerie Ring IC

    Spoiler: Perception checks
    Show

    Listen: (1d20+11)[23]
    Search: (1d20+5)[23]
    Spot: (1d20+11)[12]
    3.99 Project, Trying to Improve the 3.5 version, current fixes:

    - Soulknife Fix
    - Samurai Rework
    - Paladin Fix

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2009

    Default Re: Through the Faerie Ring IC

    Keith managed to catch up to Elliot. Taking a small break, he looked around and wondered exactly what kind of "nasties" this forest could hold. "I think that's a wonderful idea," Keith said as he started looking around. "We can look for food and even make sure that we are the area around the camp is safe. But we should set a limit on how far we move away from camp too. I don't want to get lost out in these kinds of woods - I've been feeling a malevolent presence ever since we've gotten here," Keith almost whispered as his eyes continued to scan the environment. Even now, he was constantly looking for the slightly sign that something alive was out there. Keeping his bow at the ready and his arrows within reach, Keith started carefully following the seasoned hunter's footsteps. Although he easily looked calm and collected, Keith was actually hiding sweaty palms and a nervous twitch. Still, he couldn't afford to lose concentration for a moment - here he had to put his gifts to good use.

    Spoiler: Perception
    Show

    Spot
    (d20+11)[27]

    Listen
    (d20+11)[29]

    Search
    (d20+1)[21]

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground
     
    DoctorGlock's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Precious Jerusalem

    Default Re: Through the Faerie Ring IC

    'Well, we aren't always dying by the minute the way you folks are,' Gaelin answered, shrugging his little shoulders emphatically. "I dunno how that works, something about time I think. I mean, little folk can end, and it happens, but it doesn't just happen one day because you've seen too many moons. There is usually a lot of leaking involved. I don't know, I've never died. How does it work for you? Have you died before? I heard a story once about a mortal who hid his heart in a chest so that time couldn't steal it so he wouldn't be mortal anymore...'

    The glow around him fades a bit as his excitement dies down. 'Well, I mean, if you don't have magic mortal-food I suppose we could always find some eggs or berries but I think they'd have to be very big ones for you but I know where a roc lives not too far from here and I've always wanted to try to swipe an egg but our elder says stuff like that is dangerous and shouldn't be done because it leads to leaking...' he prattles on, occasionally stopping to take a short breath but not to punctuate his sentences.

    Kieth and Elliot:

    As the two of you break away to scout out the woods the sense of unease rises as you cannot shake the prickling sensation of eyes on your backs. You creep through the long grasses in their alien hues, skirting wide of the tower that seems to guard in solemn vigil at the edge of the violet woods. There is a sharp tang in the air of bitter malevolence radiating from that solemn post and it seems to stand out in subtle wrongness against the vibrant colors of the fae. The realization hits you about the same time as the smell of smoke on the air, as if a fire recently burned through here-- the tower's colors are muted and wrong, as if leeched out. Besides the tower an old beaten road winds into the woods, and along it is devastation. The blue ferns have withered and blackened as if subject to winter's chill. But there is not a spot of snow in sight, and the air is far to warm, and outside the path the forest is lush and living.

    Kieth:

    Spoiler
    Show
    There is an odd creaking coming from the treeline, and the whisper of wind through the trees speaks in actual whispers, you can hear them clearly enough to know they are no trick of the mind. Out of the corner of your eye for but the briefest of moments you could have sworn you saw a flicker of flame in a window of the not so distant tower, and could have sworn it burned a pale, cold blue. As you focus back on the treeline you could swear it has changed slightly, as if the trees have moved. You can feel a subtle chill in the air in the direction of the forest path.

    Elliot:

    Spoiler
    Show
    There is an odd creaking coming from the treeline. As you focus back on the treeline you could swear it has changed slightly, as if the trees have moved in the space of blinking.
    I work very irregular hours and usually very long ones at that. If I do not respond to something in a timely manner pester me in an OOC thread. If something big is happening in the Middle East I will probably be busy for a few days because I am the idiot wearing kevlar and interviewing people on the fronts.

    Do you like MTG? Do you like Gitp? We have a Discord server for like minded players.

    Currently Running: Through the Faerie Ring

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •