Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Girl Genius XVIII: Invisible Hand of the Legendary Smoke Knights

Welcome to another installment of the Girl Genius Thread!

Many elegant and finely-crafted links follow:

Links to Previous Threads

Comic Links
    Link to current comic and link to the beginning of the strip. (Updates MWF at or sometime after Midnight [Eastern Time])
    The Continuing Adventures of Othar Tryggvassen, Gentleman Adventurer! (back on hiatus, may update in the future)
    A compilation (and much easier to read if you're just catching up) of the first three chapters can be found here at the GG website.
    And if one goes to snapbird.org and types in "Othar" in the 'Who?' field, all of Othar's adventures can be read on one page (albiet in reverse order of posting - Now must have a Twitter account to use).
    Mirror of the comic found on LiveJournal (Often will update before the main page is updated, so beware of spoilers)
    Mirror of the comic found on Facebook (Will occasionally have Girl Genius related news)
    And one can find mirrors of Girl Genius on deviantArt as well. (Occasionally Kaja will put up or link to interesting GG related art that is found on dA)

Reference Links
    Wiki Project devoted to to Girl Genius
    Wikipedia entry on Girl Genius.
    TV Tropes page on Girl Genius.
    The Secret Blueprints (NOTE: Contains background information on the GG Universe, so it should probably be read after "catching up" to the newest comic, as it contains many spoilers.)

Social Media and News Links
    Phil Foglio's new Wordpress art, news, and blogging website.
    Kaja Foglio's LJ Page and Studio Foglio News LJ Page (Not currently being updated)
    Kaja & Phil's Personal Facebook Page (Not currently being updated)
    A twitter account that basically is a catch-all feed for Girl Genius related news.
    Cheyenne Wright's Twitter and LiveJournal Accounts (The colorist's twitter and LJ pages)
    And finally,
    Phil's old LJ page. (Occasionally contains crossposts from the Wordpress website)
    Last edited by Porthos; 2015-05-01 at 06:56 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Girl Genius XVIII: Invisible Hand of the Legendary Smoke Knights

I just wanted you to know that I have a lovely bunch of coconuts. Also, now I have this thread marked, because GG is awesome.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Um, the code for the link to the last thread is a little messed up. Just like to point that out.

Member of the Phyrnglsnyx Pronunciation Pact

PHYRNGLSNYX
    Fear-en-gil-sniks

[fyːrŋlˌsnɪks]

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Current avatar by Cuthalion. Thanks a lot!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Next stop Paris!

Not that I'm going to hold my breath on that.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by BannedInSchool View Post
    Next stop Paris!

Not that I'm going to hold my breath on that.
    After all the buildup and explanation for it, I would be utterly astonished if the train they're on is anything other than the supertrain, and that thing should be capable of bulldozing its way through anything that might try to stop them.

I'm half expecting an offhand mention when they arrive that some giant sparky army tried to stop them and got blown away, with the passengers expressing surprise because they didn't notice anything.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    After all the buildup and explanation for it, I would be utterly astonished if the train they're on is anything other than the supertrain, and that thing should be capable of bulldozing its way through anything that might try to stop them.

I'm half expecting an offhand mention when they arrive that some giant sparky army tried to stop them and got blown away, with the passengers expressing surprise because they didn't notice anything.
    Preferably with sepia-colored flashbacks for illustration.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Emperordaniel View Post
    Um, the code for the link to the last thread is a little messed up. Just like to point that out.
    Already fixed before you posted. Thanks for checking, tho.

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

Boo, I say, boo! The title of this thread does not reference Humongulus, who is the primary thread in this location! I challenge thee to a duel, Sir!

Non est frigus, filum inceptor!
    "Après la vie - le mort, après le mort, la vie de noveau.
    Après le monde - le gris; après le gris - le monde de nouveau.
    "

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Boo, I say, boo! The title of this thread does not reference Humongulus, who is the primary thread in this location! I challenge thee to a duel, Sir!

Non est frigus, filum inceptor!
    OBJECTION DENIED:

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    "I have altered the terms of the title. Pray I don't alter it further."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Mind, if there hadn't been a lot of support for the Smoke Knight title, I would have gone with the primary one. But there was, and so I did.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

New thread. 'Sup.
    Useless arcane powers are better than no arcane powers!

Avatar mercifully granted by Threeshades

11. - Top - End - #11

Was Wooster wearing a mask beside the wig and goggles, or is there some kind of magic involved? Because he now has sideburns, which he didn't have when the disguise was on.
    Guess what spell I cast before posting this message.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by petersohn View Post
    Was Wooster wearing a mask beside the wig and goggles, or is there some kind of magic involved? Because he now has sideburns, which he didn't have when the disguise was on.
    Latex makeup of some kind, I reckon. Notice how his jowls were noticeably larger before? I figure the fake cheeks were just ripped off, and there was enough of it so it went up to the ears.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Man, I totally didn't expect Wooster there.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Nobody expects the English Secret Service!
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by otakuryoga View Post
    Aye, now I'll need to check everyone in my life to see if they are undercover agents of Her Undying Majesty.

Also, is that the new SuperTrain that they built? Please tell me they're on the SuperTrain.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Considering the buildup we got, it had BETTER be the SuperTrain...
    President and founder of the "Jonathan Harker Was The True Hero of Dracula" Fan club.
    To join, you may either add J.H.W.T.T.H.O.D to your sig or modify the sig above.
    (Avatar darkwizard.png by Teutonic Knight.)

Spoiler: What Pokemon are you?
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

I wonder how Wooster compares to a smoke knight.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NEO|Phyte View Post
    I guess they have slightly different specialities. Wooster is more into infiltration and information gathering with combat being the last resort, while smoke knights seem to be primarily oriented on stabbity buisness (and poisons, and any other dirty fighting techniques). Smoke knights don't even hide their identity when out in the open.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

RE Wooster, his disguise, and his sideburns: Face it, guys, Wooster is just THAT GOOD. (I saw the monk in the background in a few panels and thought he looked different from the usual Foglio generic character; but of course, had no idea why. I think we'll have to assume any unusual character may be Wooster in disguise from now on.)

I wonder if the bearz are on-board...

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Cross View Post
    Given that Violetta said "we are on the train, it's quite probable.
    Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    RE Wooster, his disguise, and his sideburns: Face it, guys, Wooster is just THAT GOOD. (I saw the monk in the background in a few panels and thought he looked different from the usual Foglio generic character; but of course, had no idea why. I think we'll have to assume any unusual character may be Wooster in disguise from now on.)
    The interesting thing about this comment is that on another forum there is an OOTS thread that just got sidetracked to some DnD game where a character played a bear that had so good Disguise and Bluff score that he could disguise himself as a human, to the point that when someone saw past the disguise he got laughed at. I wonder whether Wooster could do that.
    Guess what spell I cast before posting this message.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NEO|Phyte View Post
    I guess they have slightly different specialities. Wooster is more into infiltration and information gathering with combat being the last resort, while smoke knights seem to be primarily oriented on stabbity buisness (and poisons, and any other dirty fighting techniques). Smoke knights don't even hide their identity when out in the open.
    Smoke Knights hide in the shadows. Spies hide in plain sight behind assumed identities.

Smoke Knights move quickly from cover to cover, lunging at their targets when the opportunity presents itself. Spies play long games, getting friendly with the target before executing their plans.

Smoke Knights are primarily assassins and hidden guards. Spies are primarily intelligence gathering assets, dispensers of counter intelligence, and political destabilizes.
    Never played a game of D&D in my life, but I still love OotS.

Army of the One Free Man.

Clarence Clemons Memorial Avatar by Dorian Soth

22. - Top - End - #22
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by petersohn View Post
    Given that Violetta said "we are on the train, it's quite probable.

The interesting thing about this comment is that on another forum there is an OOTS thread that just got sidetracked to some DnD game where a character played a bear that had so good Disguise and Bluff score that he could disguise himself as a human, to the point that when someone saw past the disguise he got laughed at. I wonder whether Wooster could do that.
    That sounds like Sir Bearington, a long-running joke from the /tg/ boards of 4Chan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel, on quest rewards View Post
    "Is a stack of ten pancakes too many pancakes to give to the party, even if most of them fell on the floor and one or two were stepped on? I wanted to give my party pancakes as a reward but I'm unsure if it's too much. The pancakes are also laced with blowfish poison so the party would have to get an antitoxin before they could eat the ones which weren't pulverized by shoes."

I don't think anyone would want those pancakes even if you paid them to eat them.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

BTW, here is an earlier side-profile of Wooster whilst disguised a few strips back. As I thought, the cheeks were noticeably puffy. So, yes, that is exactly how his sideburns were covered.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2015-05-02 at 11:45 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by otakuryoga View Post
    Our main weapon is style, style and surprise, and a very calm devotion to the Queen!
    Last edited by Eldan; 2015-05-02 at 03:40 PM.
    "Après la vie - le mort, après le mort, la vie de noveau.
    Après le monde - le gris; après le gris - le monde de nouveau.
    "

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Cross View Post
    So, um, if the train does have some sort of sapience (quite possibly an uploaded dead Brother), does that mean it has a Soul?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by runeghost View Post
    So, um, if the train does have some sort of sapience (quite possibly an uploaded dead Brother), does that mean it has a Soul?
    I see what you did and I fully approve.
    Wrong times though, wrong times...

As for the train itself, do you think they included the rail gun in the innovations?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    If it were any other comic, I'd agree.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gulaghar and Purple Eagle.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Wow, less than a 50% chance of homicidal mania. Sounds good to me! I wonder that, given Violetta's association with Sparks, she's at all flabbergasted that Agatha would take such a risk.

I wonder what Krosp is up to. I also wonder why Agatha's first thought isn't about where her weasel is. You'd think she's have her priorities right by now.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    Wow, less than a 50% chance of homicidal mania. Sounds good to me! I wonder that, given Violetta's association with Sparks, she's at all flabbergasted that Agatha would take such a risk.

I wonder what Krosp is up to. I also wonder why Agatha's first thought isn't about where her weasel is. You'd think she's have her priorities right by now.
    She likes to slip into the quintessential forgetful, yet genius, professor trope ever so often.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    She likes to slip into the quintessential forgetful, yet genius, professor trope ever so often.
    There is some brilliance in it however, since the fact she is currently fine clearly indicates that the weasel is nearby.