Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 44 123456789101126 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 1298
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tsunamiatunzen1's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Beyond Bubonic IC

    The Holy City, a city filled with those that have escaped the disaster that happened a year ago. Everyone here works, including yourself, whether it be creating, repairing, retaining, or defending whatever you've been assigned to do, you don't get out of it.
    The Plague or Blight, as others call it, has destroyed the previous life of mundane and has ushered in a new era of survival. You are part of the only saving grace. Gifted or cursed with the power to wield what the common folk refer to as 'magic'.

    Spoiler: Locations
    Show
    All of you are in the town-square although not aware of each other currently. Aislinn and Gervaise have been assigned to guarding the walls today. Sir Elizabeth and Sia have been assigned as caretakers until further notice. You may set up your own reason for being in the square at this point in time.

    Your path takes you through the old town-square. It is early in the day and already it's beginning to get crowded in chilly air of the square.
    Various groups of people jostle each other in their hurry to get to their jobs or return home after a long night. The soldiers assume their posts, caretakers scramble to gather healing supplies and return to their charges, craftsmen of all sorts either ply their trade in the square or hurry off to their shops, the town-crier is shouting the news at the top of his lungs, and a few of the priests of Zol preach various things about the Plague and its effects.
    Though there are no visible signs of discontent in this crowd, neither are there many signs of happiness. Though today there is a bit of excitement over the appearance of survivors and the news of another city that might have survived.
    Through it all, the walls of the city loom high on every side and in the center of the old town-square stands the Council Tower. Though you weren't there to see this city built, it was built soundly. A rough 'ring' of walls built around the old square and expanding as the need for expansion arose. The construction safe-guards the other 'rings' and sections should a wall be breached. At least... that's what the Council says.
    Last edited by Tsunamiatunzen1; 2015-05-02 at 03:30 AM.
    Invincibility lies in the defense. The possibility of victory is in the attack.
    - Diamond Sword

    Featured Homebrews:
    (SF) bombs and Hangar Support
    The Forge (Crafting System)

    Extended Homebrew Sig

    Dice (feel free to use them!):
    Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

    "Why don't you just lop their head off?"
    "A hanging is far less messy. Plus, we want to keep this execution kid-friendly."

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ridai's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Germany (GMT +1)

    Default Re: Beyond Bubonic IC

    Ultimately, there is little to be done but soothe the infected's worries, lessen their pain and wait. Yesterday wasn't a good day. A whole family had to be put down, including their infant child, as they were about to turn into behirs (Sia knew their name and what they could have done, even if their kind hadn't been sighted yet). The damage they would have caused would have been tremendous, had Sia not acted quickly and incinerated them as they turned. Such is the life of a caretaker. The title is correct, but at the same time, it is disguising "mercy-killer" and "executioner".

    At the town-square of the so-called "Holy City" (though, to be honest, there was not much to the name), hurrying to get supplies is a breather from her work. At least getting through the crowds is easy, as people tend to give the White Witch a wide berth, for one reason or another. There is always haggling involved in getting supplies, the quartermasters deathly afraid of getting caught in a situation where the council is requesting supplies and they can't provide. That would mean it was their fault, somehow, and not someone else's, which was preferable. Fortunately, it didn't take much more than a staredown when Sia came to the quartermaster, after announcing her being there in her duty as a caretaker, followed by the man trying to begin his litany of feeble excuses. Sia only takes what the caretakers need. Greed has no place in this city as far as she is concerned, yet it survived better than many.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tsunamiatunzen1's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond Bubonic IC

    As Sia barters with the quartermaster, he gives the expected excuses that are so common in his trade in a rather reedy voice.
    "I beg your pardon, but I can't possibly deal in that price range. It would bankrupt me! After all, I collect these goods at the risk of life and limb with all of those horrible beasts out and about! Not to mention the fact that this is prime-quality and can't be found very easily! Surely, you would take pity on a poor man trying to get the creds he needs to feed his family?"
    His thin, weaselly frame hints at the fact that he's probably never been out of the city. He likely sends someone else to gather the supplies if he really does need something from beyond the walls.
    Invincibility lies in the defense. The possibility of victory is in the attack.
    - Diamond Sword

    Featured Homebrews:
    (SF) bombs and Hangar Support
    The Forge (Crafting System)

    Extended Homebrew Sig

    Dice (feel free to use them!):
    Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

    "Why don't you just lop their head off?"
    "A hanging is far less messy. Plus, we want to keep this execution kid-friendly."

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    England

    Default Re: Beyond Bubonic IC

    Aislinn looked slightly comical as she passed through the crowds. Studded Leather, Buckler and Crossbow were all appropriate for a soldier going onto wall-guarding duty. Her tiny frame, however, was not. She looked an awful lot like someone's adolescent daughter playing soldiers.

    Of course, that was more or less what she was doing. Access to psionics hadn't turned her into a skilled warrior, after all - though she did occasionally show some utility when a power could be brought to bear on the situation. But mostly she just earned her way on the wall with the contents of the two baskets she was carrying...

    In her life prior to infection, Aislinn had worked in a noble's kitchens. Junior though she'd been, she was still a truly gifted artist when it came to food. The contents of the baskets were her colleagues' rations for the day. When they had been issued the night before, the entire unit had pooled their foodstuffs and left them in the care of Aislinn and her 'assistants' (several injured soldiers who had not been infected, but were remaining in the barracks as they recovered from mundane injuries). The results were nothing too earth-shattering (there's only so much you can do with soldiers' rations, after all), but as the soldiers agreed, it was better than having to cook for themselves.

    At the point where Sia was haggling with the quartermaster, Aislinn and her baskets had stopped to listen to the news from the cryer. Like the food, bringing news up to the wall was another important support function she performed to get her colleagues to overlook her below-par martial skills. After all, she couldn't just rely on setting people on fire to maintain her position - she was supposed to be a professional!

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond Bubonic IC

    Gervaise is early. Just like she is every day. Each morning she wakes, readies herself, and is out far earlier than she needs to be. The continuity gives her comfort, the strict scheduling of her life lets her feel at peace in the strange Holy City. It isn't that she dislikes the company of Rosamund, or wakes with an urge to leave the comfort of a warm bed. It's simply that the routine of waking, leaving and doing so early in the morning is ingrained into her. She heads onto the streets in a good mood, enjoying the fresh air of the morning as she moves through the streets and out to the marketplace. Slipping between people in the crowded square, Gervaise looks for a good spot to wait out the time left before she needs to go up to the walls, passing through the groups of people as she moves along through the crowd, enjoying the snippets of conversation that float past her ears.

    Moving through the crowd, Gervaise hears an especially smooth voice, stopping briefly as the words become clear. With a glance upwards, she determines that she has enough time to seek out the source and have a chat with its owner. Slipping through a few more clumps of people, moving or standing as they go about their business, she finds a young woman standing in front of a man she vaguely recognizes as a quartermaster, just as the man launches into some explanation about how difficult it was to accept the deal she wanted. Waiting for a quiet moment in their exchange, Gervaise steps forwards with a smile.

    "Good morning to both of you," she begins, offering the woman a bow. "Gervaise is my name, it's my pleasure to be at your service. Is something wrong? Anything I could assist you with?"
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    TaiLiu's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Intersex

    Default Re: Beyond Bubonic IC

    Sir Elizabeth the Holy, Sacred Defender of the Meek, Master of Arts in Theology, Companion of Many Voices

    "Not bad, eh?" Augustine nudges her, wanting her reaction to the title.

    "I am no paladin, Augustine - nor do I have a degree. It is only through contemplation of God's glory that I―"

    "Yeah, whatever." Boethius interrupts. "Look, dude, today's your destiny day or whatever. You gotta meet up with 'em."

    Charlemagne demurs. "And you would listen to that fool? Words from the wise: "It is not in the stars to hold our destiny but in ourselves." ― William Shakespeare."

    "Go screw yourself, man! We all know what's gonna happen today, and you ain't gonna pretend otherwise."

    "William Shakespeare once said―"

    "**** off!"

    "All right, break it up, you two." Augustine points to the small crowd around the quartermaster. "Boethius is right. You're meeting up with the other characters today." At Elizabeth's bewildered look, he shoves her forward. "Go there."

    Elizabeth, although confused, obeys and greets the others.
    "I kinda think I'm not supposed to go along with something that's wrong just to get food."

    Spoiler: Play by Post Games
    Show
    x Through the Faerie Ring // PL + Progressing // 05/17 - Present
    x Chrono Isekai // PL + Progressing // 03/20 - Present
    x Lightning Rails and Whispers of the Vampire's Blade // DM + Completed // 05/17 - 08/18

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ridai's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Germany (GMT +1)

    Default Re: Beyond Bubonic IC

    Sia fixes her gaze upon the quartermaster for a while, letting him squirm as she looks unreadable.

    "The price I am asking for is more than reasonable, especially since those herbs and fruit" she gestures at the pots, stands and bags. "are from the Marcosa plantation, well within the walls. I know because my mother and I aided them in setting up said plantation, which now provides valuable resources to the Holy City." A short pause to let that all sink in and let panic build.

    "Resources that are also needed by the caretakers to not have people turn into monsters within the city walls as well as nurture people to go beyond the walls without risk of infection. Of course, instead of providing me with the supplies they need, with your deft expertise, surely you could lead expeditions outside of the walls to your gathering spots and earn a lot of credit for your valuable service to the city?" Sia's voice is as even as the calm sea. It is far easier to let fear arise from someone's own mind rather than instilling it through obvious aggression.

    Then, a stranger woman called Gervais inserts herself into the exchange. Sia turns to her with a serene, dazzling smile and returns the bow with perfect grace. "A good day to you, Gervais. All is well, I can assure you, though if I could trouble you with helping me bring supplies to the caretakers, that would be most kind. We were just about done with negotations," Sia turns back to the quartermaster, wearing the same serenity she adressed Gervais with. "were we not?"

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Diplomacy (1d20+22)[28]

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    caesar193's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2015

    Default Re: Beyond Bubonic IC

    "Goddamnit."

    It was so inconsiderate of people to get in your way, Ulric Radulfrsson thought to himself. Why did they have to make some sort of fuss with the quartermaster just when he was looking to restock his bar?

    Ulric sighed. Perhaps he should insert himself into it. Then again, maybe he should watch and just shoot them all if they decided to start a fight. And then get kicked out of the City, and have to raise the children in the midst of monsters...

    He strode forward with a powerful and primal stride, and clapped his hand on the quartermaster's shoulder.

    "I have business with this man as well," he said coldly. "Are you all just about finished?"

    He eyed them all carefully. Ulric wasn't quite familiar with there names, but then, he was only familiar with the names of his enemies, his friends, and regulars at his tavern who thought spending their money on beer was a better use than feeding their families.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    TaiLiu's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Intersex

    Default Re: Beyond Bubonic IC

    Sir Elizabeth, Knighted by the Fair Folk

    "Yo! Did you just see how he dissed them all? Damn!"

    She squints at the man Boethius referred to - a bear of man, beard and hair wild and uncombed. "Yes, I saw."

    "Look at the crowd of people," Augustine said, "They'll be your buddies."

    "Yeah! We got it all written out, dude! Your destiny!"

    Elizabeth nodded. If she would be working with them, it would doubtlessly be helpful to start the conversation politely. She eyes the crowd, picking out a young woman she vaguely recognised as a fellow caretaker. "Good morning," she says, giving a small nod of recognition to her co-worker, "I see you're picking up supplies for the patients. How are they this fine day?" Then, hastily, to the other woman and the men: "And a good morning to you too, sirs and madam."
    Last edited by TaiLiu; 2015-05-02 at 09:05 PM.
    "I kinda think I'm not supposed to go along with something that's wrong just to get food."

    Spoiler: Play by Post Games
    Show
    x Through the Faerie Ring // PL + Progressing // 05/17 - Present
    x Chrono Isekai // PL + Progressing // 03/20 - Present
    x Lightning Rails and Whispers of the Vampire's Blade // DM + Completed // 05/17 - 08/18

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ridai's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Germany (GMT +1)

    Default Re: Beyond Bubonic IC

    Sia gazes at the boorish man with an unreadable face. "We would be, but someone has decided to prolong this issue." That someone clearly being selfish, impatient Ulric, but then soon, another voice joins in. Having to suppress a sigh, she recognizes a fellow caretaker and greets her with a warm expression.

    "Good morning to you to. The patients are faring as well as they can, much of it is waiting and hoping, after all." Sia looks to the crowd that has spontaneously gathered, all of them terribly interested in her for one reason or another, facing them with an apologetic look (though less so for Ulric). "I am sorry to cut this conversation short, but I still have much to do and patients to tend to, just as you no doubt have your daily tasks." With that, she focuses back on the quartermaster.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tsunamiatunzen1's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond Bubonic IC

    As Aislinn stops to listen to the bellowing town-crier, she is able to pick out some bits of news that are of mild interest over the din of the crowd.
    "Hear ye! Hear ye! A reward of 500 CREDs has been offered by the Council for information concerning the whereabouts of Frederick the -"
    A sudden gathering of people keeps Aislinn from hearing the details before the town-crier moves on. Strangely enough, Aislinn recognizes the famed White Witch, one of the first mages to come to the Holy City. Though she doesn't know much about her besides what others have said.
    "- Zol will have a meeting at midday tomorrow to discuss supporting those affected by the Plague -"
    Once again, a swell of people rushes through the town-square in an attempt to get to places on time. A cart pulled by two braying mules trundles next to Aislinn, making a noisome clattering sound. This was an uncommon sight due to how few animals were kept in the city for fear of a Plague-ridden animal manifesting inside of the walls.
    "- expedition to the mines! Payment will be negotiated at the Guildmaster's Office with recompense for any injuries -"
    Aislinn's concentration is broken by a heavy hand landing on her shoulder.
    "Is the town-square and its crowds so important that you have suddenly gained leave of your duties Aislinn?"
    Aislinn recognizes the voice as Jaina, captian of the section of the wall that she has been assigned to. Though Aislinn had only met the captain a few days prior to her being assigned to the wall, the black-haired woman was very laid-back, though that changed quickly depending on who was assigned to the walls for the day.
    Spoiler: EDIT:Additional information on CREDS in the world
    Show
    1 CRED = 1 silver (also called a Silver CRED). There is also the Mage CRED which is the same as a Platinum Piece, so named since many jobs that pay this much are typically reserved for Mages (it is also a subtle hint as to the requirements needed to apply for that particular line of work). Typically, most people will earn 10 CREDs for a day's work. However, we might see the use of different currencies. CREDs are special for the City of Hope. So far, the old system is still viable, but CREDs are newer and may or may not hold more buying power depending on how the City of Hope fares.


    Over at the quartermaster's table, the group has grown quite large and this fact alone makes the quartermaster uneasy. Combined with Sia's glare and her reputation, he finally consents. He gives a quick look at Ulric and then turns back to the group in question.
    "Oh fine! If you must make a big fuss about all of this, take what you need and go! I have other people that have need of my attention and I don't need some crackpot 'caretaker' trying to glare a hole in my head. Doesn't matter to you that things are getting scarce around here."
    He quickly takes the proffered deal whilst muttering under his breath about lazy farmers and flamboyant hunters.
    He then turns to Ulric with a decidedly more cheerful disposition, deliberately ignoring any further attempts at bargaining with him.
    "Ulric! Someone I actually don't mind doing business with today! What can I do for you? Maybe a few more candles for that dim hut of yours? Hmmm?"
    Last edited by Tsunamiatunzen1; 2015-05-03 at 08:16 AM.
    Invincibility lies in the defense. The possibility of victory is in the attack.
    - Diamond Sword

    Featured Homebrews:
    (SF) bombs and Hangar Support
    The Forge (Crafting System)

    Extended Homebrew Sig

    Dice (feel free to use them!):
    Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

    "Why don't you just lop their head off?"
    "A hanging is far less messy. Plus, we want to keep this execution kid-friendly."

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ridai's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Germany (GMT +1)

    Default Re: Beyond Bubonic IC

    "Much obliged." Sia takes the supplies and heads back to Caretaker's Lot. This trip has taken long enough as is.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    England

    Default Re: Beyond Bubonic IC

    "You know what Soldiers are like, Sir. Gossipy as kitchen maids, the lot of us." There was a faint twitch of a smile on her face as Aislinn referred to her previous career.

    "It's expected of whoever's on mess duty that they'll try and listen to the Cryer on the way up to the walls. News gives the squad something to talk about while they wait for something to attack them. Just a shame the crowd was too thick for me to get much."

    Aislinn shrugs, carefully - not so much worried about dislodging the Captain's hand, as about upsetting the contents of her baskets - and moves to continue her journey. As the captain had reminded her, she did have a job to get to...

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    caesar193's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2015

    Default Re: Beyond Bubonic IC

    "Dim hut? I need to use less candles, then, to keep the likes of you out of it," he said jokingly. "What I actually need is some more mugs. Some drunk decided smashing the damn things was a good idea."

    He paused a moment, remembering throwing the drunk out the door. It'd been a good day.

    "So I could use another dozen glasses. Place is gettin' busier. If ya get it to me by tonight it'll settle your tab. And if you throw in some arrowheads for Hrafn, it'll settle your tab for tonight, too."

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tsunamiatunzen1's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond Bubonic IC

    The quartermaster tsks at the news.
    "Well I'm sorry about the mugs. I'll be able to get a few of them for you right now. Especially if it's going to settle that tab. I don't even know how it got that large in the first place! Just took a few sips here and there..."
    As he collects the mugs he peers over at Ulric.
    "You know Ulric, your business may be looking good now, but from what I hear, the goods needed to keep you in business is soon to get scarce. Seems the Council is more interested in saving that prime land for something that will fill the vendors' crates rather than your ale barrels. Mighty shame if you ask me."
    He sighs and hands Ulric the mugs.
    "By the way," He takes on an inquisitive look, "Have you seen those survivors from that city? Takes a lot of guts to travel around the wilds like it is if you ask me, but I haven't seen hide nor hair of these people. You think they really exist?"
    His thin eyebrows arch over his beady eyes as he leans on the table to hear Ulric's reply.
    Last edited by Tsunamiatunzen1; 2015-05-03 at 10:33 AM.
    Invincibility lies in the defense. The possibility of victory is in the attack.
    - Diamond Sword

    Featured Homebrews:
    (SF) bombs and Hangar Support
    The Forge (Crafting System)

    Extended Homebrew Sig

    Dice (feel free to use them!):
    Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

    "Why don't you just lop their head off?"
    "A hanging is far less messy. Plus, we want to keep this execution kid-friendly."

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    caesar193's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2015

    Default Re: Beyond Bubonic IC

    "If there are any survivors, they haven't come to the Drunken Wolf," Ulric answered in a bored tone. "Far as I'm considered, unless they're trying to kill me, part of my family, or handing me money, they might as well not exist."

    He accepted the mugs and slipped them in his bag, and then turned to go.

    "Oh, and, by the way... If you're planning on taking a, how d'ya put it? "few sips?" tonight, bring those arrowheads. 'Bout a hundred. And you can have a few of your 'sips.'"

    He then disappeared into the crowd, returning to the Drunken Wolf Inn and Tavern, and took up his place behind the bar, and replacing his son, Leif. There were all ready a few patrons, and Asta and the twins were cooking a stew of some sort.

    Then another patron walked in and requested ale, so he set about pouring it.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    TaiLiu's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Intersex

    Default Re: Beyond Bubonic IC

    Sir Elizabeth, Curmudgeonly Old Woman

    "Well, I must be going now. But it was a real pleasure seeing you." Elizabeth curtsies and then dashes after the impatient Sia, asking her to look into her basket. "Oh, good," she says, "They brought the berries just like I asked them to. I've been meaning to try a new alchemical—"

    "Manners," Augustine implores.

    "Oh! You simply must forgive my rash behaviour! I'm Elizabeth." She holds out a greeting hand.
    "I kinda think I'm not supposed to go along with something that's wrong just to get food."

    Spoiler: Play by Post Games
    Show
    x Through the Faerie Ring // PL + Progressing // 05/17 - Present
    x Chrono Isekai // PL + Progressing // 03/20 - Present
    x Lightning Rails and Whispers of the Vampire's Blade // DM + Completed // 05/17 - 08/18

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ridai's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Germany (GMT +1)

    Default Re: Beyond Bubonic IC

    "Sia," she responds, along with a shift of the basket and a handshake, never slowing down her brisk step. "A pleasure to meet you. How fares the current project?"

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tsunamiatunzen1's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond Bubonic IC

    As Aislinn walks through the thinning crowds, she notices Jaina catching sight of another one of the soldiers assigned to the walls and briskly tramping towards her. No doubt she'll see her there later. As it is, Aislinn makes it to the walls quietly and without incident.
    Upon arriving, the looming shadows of the walls helps to cool down those that stand nearby. Among those would be the other soldiers that have been patiently waiting... as well as hungry men can wait.
    "C'mon! When she gonna get back? I'm starvin' 'ere!
    "Awww quit complaining, you're lucky someone even knows how to do something to help the rations we get. Besides, if you were cooking, we'd all end up in the caretaker's lot!"
    Some of the men guffaw at this until one of them spots Aislin toting the rations. The smell of the approaching food, though a far cry from a true meal, was enough to get a few stomachs growling.
    "Hey, she's back!"
    Aislinn is almost crushed by the sudden onslaught of suddenly helpful soldiers.
    As the rations are distributed, the usual questions of the goings-on in town are asked, though they haven't enough manners to stand back while they eat over her head.

    Meanwhile, Jaina walks over to Gervaise as the group goes off in different directions.
    "Hey! What are you doing standing around here? Those walls are great, but they're not going to guard themselves."
    She walks up with a purposeful stride and an easy smile.
    "You're going to have to go to the walls soon or they'll start docking your pay. Although if that happened maybe you could try your hand at the bounty boards?"
    She lets out a short quip at that last statement. Most people only went looking at the bounty board if they were desperate or crazy. As such, few bounties were posted and even fewer came back alive to claim it.
    Spoiler: Information about the Bounty Board
    Show
    The Bounty Board is located at the front of the Council Tower and currently has very few posted bounties. A few monsters are so dangerous that the Council posts bounties on them in an attempt to eliminate these threats post-haste. Bounties most commonly pay in Mage CREDs. Though proof of the deed is usually signified by bringing the monster's head since most monsters can't function without a head.


    The quartermaster grins and gives a parting shout.
    "Don't worry, I'll gladly trade a few and keep your boy nice and stocked so long as you do the same!"
    Ulric's trip is uninterrupted as he goes back to the Drunken Wolf. Looking through the crowd, all of the regulars seem to have come in today. The strict rules here keep any hostilities to a simple glaring contest and maybe a few shouts.
    All is quiet today with the patro-
    "SHE'S A WITCH I TELL YOU! YOU CAN TELL JUST BY LOOKING AT HER! SHE'LL TURN YOU INTO A FROG AS SHE HUDDLES OVER THAT POT!"
    The crazed shouts of William Smith shatter the air as the door opens to allow two people, a man and a woman, to enter.
    "DRAG HER OUT AND I'LL STRING HER UP ON A TREE SO HIGH SHE'LL -"
    The door slams shut as the two make their way to Ulric. As they take a seat, the woman attempts to smooth out her dress that seems entirely composed entirely of greenery and hemp. Her accent is definitely foreign, but still recognizable as Common.
    "Dat be our luck, we be gooin' to find a decent place dat don't be so gloomy and we be followed by a ravin' madman."
    The man laughs a deep throaty laugh. His wiry frame is easy to see as he adjusts some of the skulls hanging from his belt. A few of the patrons stare at the skulls with a hint of fear and disgust.
    "Ya be making it sound as if de man be searchin' ya out. But enough of dat."
    The man turns to Ulric and gives a crooked smile.
    "Whateva' be da cook's best be what we want."
    He places a gold coin on the counter as he waits for his order. The coin bears an effigy that used to be common before the Plague struck.

    As Sia and Sir Elizabeth talk, a voice sounds out to Sir Elizabeth.
    {Aaaaahhh, so this is where you are. Oh, and what's this? You have a few personal friends! Oh no, we can't have that now can we?}
    The voice resounds with both a man's voice and a woman's, giving no clue as to who is speaking. Though as the words resound in her head, the other voices are drowned out.
    Last edited by Tsunamiatunzen1; 2015-05-03 at 08:30 PM.
    Invincibility lies in the defense. The possibility of victory is in the attack.
    - Diamond Sword

    Featured Homebrews:
    (SF) bombs and Hangar Support
    The Forge (Crafting System)

    Extended Homebrew Sig

    Dice (feel free to use them!):
    Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

    "Why don't you just lop their head off?"
    "A hanging is far less messy. Plus, we want to keep this execution kid-friendly."

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    TaiLiu's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Intersex

    Default Re: Beyond Bubonic IC

    Sir Elizabeth, Professional Puppet

    "My alchemy? As of now, I do not know. This is my first time, and I am no alchemist. I was merely following an intuition, if you catch my drift - the aether-sensing intuition that, whether it be a gift from God or a damnation from the Devil, afflicts us magi." She picks up the berries and gives them a quick look. "I can tell, for instance, that my elixir will affect between two and eight of these berries. One of our co-workers, James, can even see magic."

    "Dude! Incoming!"

    "For what I hear from others, this intuition manifests itself in different forms, but the result is—" Her head suddenly explodes into silence. Augustine, Boethius, and Charlemagne are still there, but are bound - bound by a mysterious androgynous figure invading her, breaking her...

    She clutches her head, crouching low, trying to block out faraway screams, when she realises that the screams are coming from her. There are two distinct sounds: her screaming in the present, and her screaming in the past, just a few scant months ago when the three faeries seized her mind. The first time, she was almost knocked out entirely. The second, she had built up a hollow resistance, and manages to eke out a response: "Who... Who are you?"
    "I kinda think I'm not supposed to go along with something that's wrong just to get food."

    Spoiler: Play by Post Games
    Show
    x Through the Faerie Ring // PL + Progressing // 05/17 - Present
    x Chrono Isekai // PL + Progressing // 03/20 - Present
    x Lightning Rails and Whispers of the Vampire's Blade // DM + Completed // 05/17 - 08/18

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tsunamiatunzen1's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond Bubonic IC

    {Oh, you'll find out soon enough and oh how I'll revel it. Don't worry, I won't hurt you... yet. I'm interested in seeing what you do for yourself. After all, the Others aren't the only ones who want to rewrite your future.}
    The voice laughs somewhat maniacally.
    {I'll tell you what, I'll give you a little nudge in the right direction. Your walls are going to need an exterminator by the end of the week. Oh, and I doubt they would believe you if you told them. After all, voices in your head? Makes you sound quite mad.}
    The voice cackles and dies off, leaving Elizabeth to listen to the chorus of voices that she is normally accustomed to.
    Invincibility lies in the defense. The possibility of victory is in the attack.
    - Diamond Sword

    Featured Homebrews:
    (SF) bombs and Hangar Support
    The Forge (Crafting System)

    Extended Homebrew Sig

    Dice (feel free to use them!):
    Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

    "Why don't you just lop their head off?"
    "A hanging is far less messy. Plus, we want to keep this execution kid-friendly."

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ridai's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Germany (GMT +1)

    Default Re: Beyond Bubonic IC

    As Elizabeth launches into an explanation of traits she is already aware of, Sia raises a hand to gently cut her off. "I am aware, thank you."

    Then the screaming begins. When Elizabeth is able to sense anything outside of her head again, she finds herself held by Sia, icy blue eyes looking deeply into her own as her long, graceful fingers keep her steady. "I need you to breathe with me," is all she says, her voice smooth, almost hypnotic as Elizabeth becomes aware of the White Witch's breathing. Deep breaths, steady, steady, calmly slowing, taking the panic and pain with it, calming down, slowing down. When she judges Elizabeth to be far enough from a panic attack or heart attack, she gently lets go and gives her space, picking the basket back up.

    "What did you sense?" she asks, calm as the quiet sea.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Did Sia sense anything with her Detect Magic?
    Spellcraft (1d20+8)[19]

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond Bubonic IC

    Gervaise is about to offer Sia her aid in carrying the newly-bought supplies when a familiar voice reaches her ears. Turning, she recognizes Jaina and offers her a nod. "I've actually made sure that I have enough time," she explains, looking up at the sky. "Judging by the color, I should have enough time to finish this and get to the wall with time to spare-"

    Then screams interrupt her, and Gervaise spins towards them, blade already half out of its sheath, hands surrounded by a cloak of necromantic energy as she finds the source and recognizes a distinct lack of monsters or other threats. Rushing forwards, she sheathes Kinsgirl Assentor and lets the dark power around her fingers dissipate into the wind as she crouches next to the woman. Luckily, the caretaker from a moment ago was there as well, and already seemed to be having some success in calming down the woman. "Are you alright?" Gervaise asks as Sia stands up, offering to help the woman stand.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tsunamiatunzen1's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond Bubonic IC

    As Sia concentrates on the determining if magic is involved, she detects a fairly strong aura that she can't quite identify. It becomes clear that it is Psionic in origin. Further concentration reveals nothing on the spell that has just recently befallen Elizabeth.
    However, she does notice a small, less potent aura in Elizabeth's pack. Though hard to see with the Psionic aura swirling about, the spell's name comes to mind even though she's never seen the likes of it before. Bless Water
    Looking out from the corner of her eye, she can notice that quite a few people are staring at her. Shortly afterwards, Gervaise turns the corner.

    Gervaise's sudden dash solicits a shout of surprise from Jaina, but she isn't followed.
    Invincibility lies in the defense. The possibility of victory is in the attack.
    - Diamond Sword

    Featured Homebrews:
    (SF) bombs and Hangar Support
    The Forge (Crafting System)

    Extended Homebrew Sig

    Dice (feel free to use them!):
    Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

    "Why don't you just lop their head off?"
    "A hanging is far less messy. Plus, we want to keep this execution kid-friendly."

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    TaiLiu's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Intersex

    Default Re: Beyond Bubonic IC

    Sir Elizabeth, Supporting Character

    As the figure leaves her head, Elizabeth calms, finding herself in the hands of Sia, with a guardswoman as spectator. She splutters: "Voice—Walls—Sia—Guard—"

    "Aw, calm your tits, man." Boethius' voice cuts away the silence, like a knife through unchurned cream.

    "Damn you! What is this God-forsaken destiny you have offered me?! You knew this would happen!"

    Augustine shook his head. "No, we didn't."

    "Don't listen to that piece of ****. You wanna know what? We knew this was gonna happen. We know your destiny."

    Charlemagne chimes in with an ancient piece of wisdom: "It's not you, it's me."

    "Take it back! This town cannot be invaded!"

    "There's nothing to take back. This is your collective human destiny, not ours."

    "We'll explain later. Don't leave your bros hanging, man."

    She looks up at Sia and the guardswoman, the latter offering her a hand. She reaches up for it, pulling herself in a standing stance. "Bless you, young ladies. The city would be twice the size that it is now, if others imitated your conduct. I am alright, though I fear the Holy City may not be for long. What I sensed..." — here she steadies herself on Sia's shoulders — "I will explain on the way. We must seek an audience from the Council."
    "I kinda think I'm not supposed to go along with something that's wrong just to get food."

    Spoiler: Play by Post Games
    Show
    x Through the Faerie Ring // PL + Progressing // 05/17 - Present
    x Chrono Isekai // PL + Progressing // 03/20 - Present
    x Lightning Rails and Whispers of the Vampire's Blade // DM + Completed // 05/17 - 08/18

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tsunamiatunzen1's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond Bubonic IC

    As Elizabeth states this, a well-dressed man with a contingent of four well-armed guards approaches the group.
    "That will be wholly unnecessary," he drolly states, "Lady Sia has been summoned by the Council and is to report to the Tower immediately. The screaming made it very easy to find you as my guards -"
    Here he gives one of the foremost guards a withering look. He looks a little uncomfortable, even under the helmet.
    "- insisted that we investigate the matter."
    He then reaches into his robes to draw out a a piece of folded paper, which he unfolds, and shows to Sia.
    "Proof of your summoning."
    Though the letter is short, a quick glance does identify the official seal of the Council.
    Invincibility lies in the defense. The possibility of victory is in the attack.
    - Diamond Sword

    Featured Homebrews:
    (SF) bombs and Hangar Support
    The Forge (Crafting System)

    Extended Homebrew Sig

    Dice (feel free to use them!):
    Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

    "Why don't you just lop their head off?"
    "A hanging is far less messy. Plus, we want to keep this execution kid-friendly."

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    caesar193's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2015

    Default Re: Beyond Bubonic IC

    Meanwhile, at the Drunken Wolf Inn & Tavern...

    Ulric eyed the coin for a moment, debating whether or not to accept it as payment. Finally he slipped it in his pocket.

    If no one else takes accepts it as payment, I can give it to Hrafn. He's got a raven's appetite for shiny things, appropiately enough...

    He then looked over his two patrons critically, his gaze pausing on the decorative skulls.

    "There'll be no fighting in here, or Zol be damned, the only thing I care 'bout here will break on your asses as I slam it while yer on the threshold, clear?" Ulric paused a moment, and then resumed his role as bartender. "Tonight its stew, so I'll make sure get you two bowls of it. Want something ta drink with that? And on a side note, where ya from?"
    Last edited by caesar193; 2015-05-04 at 08:17 PM.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tsunamiatunzen1's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond Bubonic IC

    The man let's out a rather hearty laugh at Ulric's statement.
    "Ya know, I tink I be likin' dis man already. To da point an' no less."
    He continues to chuckle a little as he rests his right arm on the counter.
    "Brudda ya be lookin' at da last man to cause trouble here. She might be da one ya keep an eye on."
    The man continues to grin widely as the woman glares icy daggers into his skull.
    "Da stew and an ale for da both of us. Where we be from is no concern of yours."
    The man makes a mock face of pained disappointment.
    "Now is dat any way to treat the good folk who come and risk the'selves to da beasts in search of us?"
    He turns to Ulric again with that Cheshire grin of his and gives an unexpected answer.
    "We be coomin' from da West. Da whole place be knowin' we came here only a few days past. Dat be where we be headed next Brudda. We just be coomin' ta see how ya city been dooin' afta da Great Change. Ya be callin' dis place da City a Hope now, dat be right?"
    It's obvious that the man is more willing to part with information than the woman.

    As Aislinn's patrol finishes eating the meager meal, Jaina comes back grumbling.
    "She better be here on time or I'll get an earful from the higher ups!"
    Jaina calls the patrol of six, including Jaina and Aislinn, to begin preparations to head out and patrol beyond the walls.
    "Just going to be another day of walking around in the hot sun boys and girls. They haven't seen anything running around the walls for now, but that doesn't mean they're going to let us have the day off."
    Last edited by Tsunamiatunzen1; 2015-05-04 at 08:55 PM.
    Invincibility lies in the defense. The possibility of victory is in the attack.
    - Diamond Sword

    Featured Homebrews:
    (SF) bombs and Hangar Support
    The Forge (Crafting System)

    Extended Homebrew Sig

    Dice (feel free to use them!):
    Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

    "Why don't you just lop their head off?"
    "A hanging is far less messy. Plus, we want to keep this execution kid-friendly."

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ridai's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Germany (GMT +1)

    Default Re: Beyond Bubonic IC

    Sia snatches the letter from his hand and actually reads it. She likes to know exactly why she is being summoned and what they might throw in to pin on her.

    "Next time," Sia answers evenly as she puts the letter away without asking whether she is actually allowed to. "send a regular messenger and put the men where they are desperately needed, Bartholomew. I imagine you have more important matters to attend as well." Sia is the picture of grace and welcoming demeanor as she answers.

    Icy blue eyes once again look to Elizabeth. "It seems my path is headed into your direction."

    Easing the supply basket into her hands, Sia holds it towards Gervaise. "I am sorry to trouble you with this, but if you or one of your colleagues could bring these to Caretaker's Lot, that would be most appreciated. Seek out my mother Selene and say that Sia sent you. She will handle things from there." She adds an appreciative nod. A gesture she actually means, as opposed to those directed at Bartholomew. Not that the latter is aware of that.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    As the plot is thickening, I added the option of Gervaise opting to go along as a witness and because of duty, instead of delivering the supplies herself.
    Last edited by Ridai; 2015-05-05 at 01:56 AM.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tsunamiatunzen1's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond Bubonic IC

    The letter indeed seems authentic, having both the signatures of the Council and its seal. Though it doesn't reveal what she is being summoned for specifically. It only states that it is of utmost importance that she come at once.
    "I assume that will satisfy your curiosity?"
    Bartholomew looks a little annoyed with the fact that Sia took the letter, but makes no moves to reclaim it.
    "I would suggest that you come with me at once, I would also advise against having any of your associates coming along."
    If he heard any of Sia's previous comments, he doesn't care to make a reply.
    Invincibility lies in the defense. The possibility of victory is in the attack.
    - Diamond Sword

    Featured Homebrews:
    (SF) bombs and Hangar Support
    The Forge (Crafting System)

    Extended Homebrew Sig

    Dice (feel free to use them!):
    Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

    "Why don't you just lop their head off?"
    "A hanging is far less messy. Plus, we want to keep this execution kid-friendly."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •