New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Default cloistered cleric + VoP?

I am looking for ways to optimize a cloistered cleric with sponaneous domains from UA. I was condsidering VoP, as well as a level of Dracolyte for the glory domain.
    I am a beginer at optimization, so any advice is welcome. I am not sure what god\feats\PrCs to take.
    The campaign starts at levels 1-3. Our DM has not decided the exact level.
    Books allowed:
    Sandstorm
    Hordes of the Abyss
    Complete adventurer, warrior, divine
    LoM
    Draconomicon.
    BoED
    UA
    SC
    MIC

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: cloistered cleric + VoP?

In general, vow of poverty is a poor choice, because there aren't too many strong exalted feats and everything it gives you can be equaled and then some with wealth by level appropriate items. It also doesn't give you access to a lot of things that are important for the late-game, like flight. I say "in general" because there are some builds (e.g. druid) and games (e.g. ones with item-stingy DMs) where it can work well enough. Cloistered Cleric is one you could possibly pull VoP off with in a mid- or low-powered game, but note that you wouldn't be able to resurrect people or cast any other spells with expensive material components.

If your DM is open to homebrew, maybe try this fix (there are more in-depth fixes, but they're also more complex). Otherwise, I'd pass it up.

Regarding cleric in particular, they only need access to core and Complete Divine to break games (and can do a pretty good job of it in core-only too, it just takes longer), because a huge part of their strength comes from Divine Metamagic (Persistent Spell). You'll want Extend Spell (can be granted by the Planning Domain), Persistent Spell, and DMM:Persistent, plus maybe Extra Turning (can be granted by the Undeath domain) if you have room. Easy Metamagic (Persistent Spell) might also be worth it; it could mean the difference between having four Extended Persistent buffs and having six.
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Can't you substitute XP costs for material components? Not that you'd want to, but it's an option if necessary.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Thank you for your input. I may ask my DM if I can try the fixed version. I definitely agree with you on the idea of lackluster exalted feats, although I would argue that htere are some decent monk\Paladin ones. Still, that is not the point of this thread.
    I am alredy dipping into Dracolyte, as I mentioned, but are there other good PrCs clerics I should try?
    I am going to be rewarded for extra domains, so are there any that grant domains at levels 1 or 2?
    Finally, and more as a point of curiosity than anything else, I believe that there is an epic feat that grants a bonus domain? Is this true, and if do, what book is it from?
    Last edited by Elandris Kajar; 2015-05-18 at 08:02 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Sorry about the typo :(

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elandris Kajar View Post
    I am alredy dipping into Dracolyte, as I mentioned, but are there other good PrCs clerics I should try?
    What deity have you picked? Radiant Servant of Pelor is notoriously strong, but there are a lot of other good options.

I am going to be rewarded for extra domains, so are there any that grant domains at levels 1 or 2?
    Contemplative gives a bonus domain at level 1 without any casting loss, as do Sacred Fist and Divine Agent. Everything else grants specific bonus domains; here's a list.

If you really want bonus domains, there's also the Sovereign Speaker (one of the best PrC names IMO). You give up two levels of casting, including one at first level, but you get a bonus domain from a rather long list at each class level.

Finally, and more as a point of curiosity than anything else, I believe that there is an epic feat that grants a bonus domain? Is this true, and if do, what book is it from?
    There is, and it's in Epic Level Handbook or on the SRD.

Sorry about the typo :(
    There's an "edit post" button at the bottom right of each of your posts, so you can go back and fix it if you want to. I also just noticed you're new, welcome to the forum!
    Last edited by Extra Anchovies; 2015-05-17 at 05:46 PM.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Show
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

I have not decided on a diety yet vecause I do not have a copy of CD in front of me. as for the prestige classes you mentioned, which books are they in. I have gone Radiant Servant and I agree that it is good. Are there any broken domains to aim for?
    Thanks for the welcome!
    Last edited by Elandris Kajar; 2015-05-18 at 07:56 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

What are the optimal cleric spells?
    In particular, what is the consensus on planar ally and derivatives? They seem good but maybe that is just on paper? On a similar note note, are summoning spells considered good choices, especially later on?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

What are the optimal cleric spells?
    In particular, what is the consensus on olanar ally and derivatives? They seem good but maybe that is just on paper? On a similar note note, are summoning spells considered good choices, especially later on?
    The Cleric Handbook has a decent listing of spells (as well as feats and other cleric essentials)
    As far as summoning goes the Malconvoker Handbook has a huge listing of the possibilities for summon monster as well as the possibilities for planar binding. The Malconvoker prestige class is also a really good option for summon based clerics.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

What book is Sovereign Speaker from? And it gives you any free domain at every level? Does it still increase casting at all?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

What book is Sovereign Speaker from? And it gives you any free domain at every level? Does it still increase casting at all?
    Its from Faiths of Eberron, and it gives you a bonus domain from the deities of the Sovereign Host (I.E. most of the core domains plus some extras). Yes you do lose out on some spellcasting progression, at levels 1 and 6 respectably, but even with the loss it is considered one of the better divine PrC's made.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Mine started in a Dwarven church of Pelor, now with a moon!

Also, note to self, sacrificing KFC in a small apartment is not a good idea.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

It's from Faiths of Eberron, gives another domain at each class level, and has 8/10 casting including a noncasting level at 1st (so you can't dip without losing casting).
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Show
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

That sounds cool! Thanks!