Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Living in a Fairy Tale (OoC)

Hey, here's the OoC for the fairytale game. Here's the IC Thread, and here's the Recruitment Thread just in case we need to refer to it.

Player Character Text Color
    Mahonri Violist Fátima do Castelo, the Feytouched Fochlucan Lyrist Olive
    Book the Hero Garret, the Human Fighter Orange
    Whoiam Liselle, the Catfolk Telepath Dark Gray
    Logain Ablar Nemissair, the Catfolk Spellthief Dark Purple
    Last edited by Nettlekid; 2015-05-14 at 10:39 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Living in a Fairy Tale (OoC)

So, are we supposed to claim a text color? Cause if so, I'd like to call orange.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Griffon

Nemissair is claiming Dark Purple

N.B. Not gonna bold everything he says, just used for emphasis here.
    Last edited by Logain Ablar; 2015-05-05 at 04:52 PM.
    "I am a Ranger. We walk in the dark places no others will enter. We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass. We live for the One, we die for the One"

Elysia Wind-Dancer

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oh! Text color. Right. I love the color green, but I also sort-of like purple, so I'm debating between seagreen, #669900, and #9966cc...

I'll go with #669900, unless someone else picks a similar color (in which case I'll go with #9966cc). So, it looks like I've got this green.

I'll now look for other information from the recruiting thread that I don't have in the sheet yet. Also, can we now discuss how people met and such?

Edit: Here is all the information that was in the Recruiting Thread but not easily visible from my character sheet:
    For my sake, I previously made "character sheets" for her animal companion and her horse, Eleonora the hawk and Lusitan the horse, just so I can keep track of them.
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2015-05-05 at 02:07 PM.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sure, I'm okay with Garret having met one of them before. The encounter could have given him the idea to one day leave home and make something of himself.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

I shall try using Dark Grey, to match Liselle's dominant fur colour.

Also, while it still feels odd to me to have a Garret as something other than a Rogue with some special arrows, I'm happy for Liselle in her fortune-teller guise to have given him the idea of becoming an adventurer. An idea she could have given him at any point back to his early teens.

7. - Top - End - #7

Fátima definitely travels all over the place, collecting and telling stories so I could reasonably have had her be anywhere or have met anyone. Wherever you need her to be, either on the hunt for a story or retelling them in the town square.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hmm, I think it would work better if the idea came from listening to some of Fatina's stories a few years ago. Though, he could be the one to get Liselle's fortune telling scene.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

Holly is ready to fight.

And to speak in Blue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Griffon

How are we playing Spelltheives interacting with psionics? Since magic is rare, and psionics (presumably) rarer, can we use the version where a spellthief can steal a psionic power just like he could a spell? If we do, I would love to have had 'Sair met her and having stolen her power for a few minutes in the middle of a "reading", leaving her unable to do her usual psychic song and dance routine.

Spoiler: Notes on this topic fom Complete Adventurer: Sidebar on Pg. 20
    Show
    SPELLTHIEVES AND PSIONICS
    A campaign that includes psionic characters, as described in the Expanded Psionics Handbook, would logically have room for psionic-themed spellthieves. If psionics are common in your game, you have two options. The first is to allow spellthieves to affect both spells and psionic powers. The second is to create a new class, the psithief, that functions identically to the spellthief except that its special abilities affect psionic powers only. In either case, a spellthief who can affect psionic powers treats psionic powers as if they were spells of the same level, allowing him to steal, absorb, or discover known psionic powers as normal for spells. A spellthief can’t augment a stolen power, even if he has power points available of his own. Treat psi-like abilities as spell-like abilities for the purpose of a spellthief’s stealing these abilities.
    Last edited by Logain Ablar; 2015-05-05 at 04:58 PM.
    "I am a Ranger. We walk in the dark places no others will enter. We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass. We live for the One, we die for the One"

Elysia Wind-Dancer

11. - Top - End - #11

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Logain Ablar View Post
    How are we playing Spelltheives interacting with psionics? Since magic is rare, and psionics (presumably) rarer, can we use the version where a spellthief can steal a psionic power just like he could a spell? If we do, I would love to have had 'Sair met her and having stolen her power for a few minutes in the middle of a "reading", leaving her unable to do her usual psychic song and dance routine.

Spoiler: Notes on this topic fom Complete Adventurer: Sidebar on Pg. 20
    Show
    SPELLTHIEVES AND PSIONICS
    A campaign that includes psionic characters, as described in the Expanded Psionics Handbook, would logically have room for psionic-themed spellthieves. If psionics are common in your game, you have two options. The first is to allow spellthieves to affect both spells and psionic powers. The second is to create a new class, the psithief, that functions identically to the spellthief except that its special abilities affect psionic powers only. In either case, a spellthief who can affect psionic powers treats psionic powers as if they were spells of the same level, allowing him to steal, absorb, or discover known psionic powers as normal for spells. A spellthief can’t augment a stolen power, even if he has power points available of his own. Treat psi-like abilities as spell-like abilities for the purpose of a spellthief’s stealing these abilities.
    I'm a fan of the Psionics are Different rule, so I would take the second option suggested by that sidebar and create a new Psithief class. You'd be able to steal spells or powers, but not both. But as the sidebar suggests, SLAs and PLAs are treated identically.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

And whether you choose to remain a spellthief or switch over to a psithief, that's fairly unlikely to have been how they met each other. Liselle uses her 'fortune-teller' disguise to hide from potentially speciesist humans - she wouldn't see any reason to hide her real nature from another catfolk! Especially a cute male one 8 years younger than her. She doesn't get to meet many...

Edit: For the record, I'm not saying you couldn't have stolen a power from her, just that she wouldn't have been trying the act on you at the time.
    Last edited by whoiam; 2015-05-05 at 05:20 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

MindFlayer

Alright, edited the OP to have the link to the IC thread. Fair warning, it's not my best work. My creative juices have been drained low by finals period. But I put out a few plot hooks, and I have more in mind for people to find if they look. My plan is to have like 3-5 plot hooks available, and if you go to other locations you'd either find different ones or the same ones from a different point of view, so don't feel limited by the location. Once you complete whatever story you start, a new plot hook or two might appear. Think of this as a game of side-quests.

Like I said in the recruitment thread, this is a very non-serious game, so I expect it to be a little hammy. And you should expect NPCs to be quite hammy. And also recognizable after a short period of interaction. I want to put little twists into the stories, some bigger than others, and I fully expect you to figure out the gimmick like a post into each "arc," so just have fun with whatever's going on and do as you please, because I don't have any larger plans to railroad you into.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Griffon

I think I'll stick with spell thief. I rather doubt we'll run into too many psions, and we've already got one in the party (plus I'm just personally not a fan of psionics in general).

And just because you weren't hiding your nature from him, doesn't mean he wouldn't have pranked you. Remember, his pranks tend to be for his own amusement more often than anything. Disabling the chair/stool you use for your clients so that it's unstable and they fall when they sit down? Of course, he'd probably leave an earring or some other bit of jewelry to make up for your lost revenue.

Edit If you like this and deiced to keep the jewelry, it would have been an amethyst earring.
    Last edited by Logain Ablar; 2015-05-05 at 06:10 PM.

Elysia Wind-Dancer

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Griffon

And then we jump into 5 different plot threads all at the same time.

Elysia Wind-Dancer

16. - Top - End - #16

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Logain Ablar View Post
    And then we jump into 5 different plot threads all at the same time.
    Hmm, yeah, I did...I did kind of assume you'd be joining up together as a group first, and then following a plot. But it's not like just talking to any one character means you have to follow that plot. In fact, talking to any of them will probably give you reason to look around in other places, talk to other people, and maybe take it in a different direction.

Also Illven...um...Do you think that maybe you could try to, um, flesh out that opening post a little bit more? Set the stage, the style of your character, where she's coming from and why she's here? Is she in the village for the gala? Where would she be going if so?

17. - Top - End - #17

We probably should think of a way to get people together one by one.

Quote Originally Posted by Book the Hero View Post
    Hmm, I think it would work better if the idea came from listening to some of Fatina's stories a few years ago. Though, he could be the one to get Liselle's fortune telling scene.
    That works great for me.
    If he is the one with Liselle's fortune telling scene, they could both be coming together into the town.

Then, after 'Sair is caught causing mischief and is chased by the tailor and the elf, he runs and (noticing another catfolk) he decides to hide by Garret and Liselle because tailor would be looking for a singular catfolk and there would be two there. Or maybe, instead, he would find Liselle and ask her where the panther-cat went; he would be hiding nearby, but she would say he ran off the other way. Or something along those lines.

Then there's just Fátima and Holly.

Edit: I can have Fátima come up to Holly and talk to her after she's finished speaking to the constable.
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2015-05-05 at 08:19 PM.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Nettlekid View Post
    Also Illven...um...Do you think that maybe you could try to, um, flesh out that opening post a little bit more? Set the stage, the style of your character, where she's coming from and why she's here? Is she in the village for the gala? Where would she be going if so?
    Sorry. I just woke up when I wrote that post, I'll edit in more.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

19. - Top - End - #19

So I don't forget when I post next:

Knowledge(Nobility and Royalty) roll to see if Fátima quickly recognizes Holly's status as crown princess of the kingdom Irontree.
    (1d20+3)[16]

Edit:
    So, that's a 16. Illven, what would be some reasonable things to know about Holly, with this roll? Family heraldry, family tree, recognizing the Irontree royal crest, something else?
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2015-05-05 at 11:01 PM.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Mahonri Violist View Post
    So I don't forget when I post next:

Knowledge(Nobility and Royalty) roll to see if Fátima quickly recognizes Holly's status as crown princess of the kingdom Irontree.
    [roll0]

Edit:
    So, that's a 16. Illven, what would be some reasonable things to know about Holly, with this roll? Family heraldry, family tree, recognizing the Irontree royal crest, something else?
    I'd say that would be more up to the DM...

21. - Top - End - #21

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    I'd say that would be more up to the DM...
    Nah, this has nothing to do with me.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Nettlekid View Post
    Nah, this has nothing to do with me.
    Okay. Um knowledge.

Irontree has fully formed a political alliance with the elves. Their ruler a diviner married an elven noblewoman.
    Holly has a little sister, (About 5 years younger.) who is much smarter but is less personable.
    Irontree's crest is the Trees where Ironwood is harvested.

23. - Top - End - #23

Okay!

That's cool. In that case, the things she figures would matter to the conversation is that (I'm saying this here so I don't forget by the time it's my turn to post again) she'll recognize Holly as royalty, know to call her "Your Royal Highness" and to speak Elven.

Thanks. That's perfect.

Edit:
    I just thought: it might be better for people, in the long run, to know my time zone so you all can better anticipate when I'll be available to be online. Mountain Daylight Time, which is apparently GMT-6 or something like that.
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2015-05-05 at 11:55 PM.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wait, was the Goliath suppose to be the Thinker there?

25. - Top - End - #25

MindFlayer

Wait, was the Goliath suppose to be the Thinker there?
    Haha, very much no.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Darn, thought I had it. Well, I'll probably figure it out soon enough.

27. - Top - End - #27

MindFlayer

Darn, thought I had it. Well, I'll probably figure it out soon enough.
    I don't know that "The Thinker" is a fairy tale character, really.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Me either, but it was the best guess I had.

29. - Top - End - #29

Is Ironwood that rare?

30. - Top - End - #30

MindFlayer

Once again, low-magic world. You'd need a Druid of at least level 11 to cast it. You guys are Hero material and you're level 9 and largely melee/martially-based. And unlike the rare magic items which can just exist, because it's a spell with a duration you really would need a Druid to keep recasting it.