Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Complete List of 3.x Wizard Spells

Hello playground,

Several years ago I attempted to make a list of all the spells Wizards could theoretically have access to. Due to my being away from D&D for a long time, I have only finished it now. It is true that there were already other lists available on the Internet, and I didn't really have to make one myself. The thing is, even if all the lists I found were comprehensive (I suppose), they were not quite nice looking. I wanted a list that would be both nice looking and comprehensive (in terms of schools, source, casting time, components and subschools). I didn't need full descriptions, just the name of the spell and its flavor text. (So hopefully it should be allowed on these boards.)

So it took me quite some time but eventually, I made it. To make that list, I started with the latest 3.5 books and progressively went back to the earliest 3.0 books. That way, I added the latest revision of each spell and disregarded all previous ones, if any. Whenever I added a spell to the list, I made sure to specify the book it comes from. Some books have had all their spells later revised, and were not used at all as a result. This includes:

Code:
    2003/10 Underdark (Und)
    2003/11 Draconomicon (Dr)
    2004/02 Unearthed Arcana (UA)
    2004/05 Complete Divine (CD)
    2004/11 Complete Arcane (CAr)
    2005/01 Complete Adventurer (CAd)

While completing the list, I sometimes had to guess whether two similar spells were the same one (one being the revision of the other), despite WotC never mentioning the revision. The following spells have not been added, due to their possible revision (which were all added):

Code:
    Returning Weapon 			-> Hurl
    Mindrape 				-> Programmed Amnesia	(edit: both added)
    Improved Blink 				-> Greater Blink
    Speed Swim 				-> Swim
    Gedlee’s Electric Loop 			-> Electric Loop
    Antimagic Aura 				-> Antimagic Ray	(edit: both added)
    Zajimarn’s Field of Icy Razors 		-> Field of Icy Razors
    Lutzaen's Frequent Jaunt 		-> Dimensional Jumper	(edit: both added)
    Lower Spell Resistance 			-> Spell Vulnerability

Although this is my list, this is certainly debatable. If someone argues that I made the wrong call for X or Y spell, I can certainly add it.

Some spells belong to two separate schools, and as a result have been added twice, once in each school sub-list. Here is a list of all those spells:

Code:
    Dragon Magic/
    Burst of Glacial Wrath
    Ferocity of Sanguine Rage
    Firestride Exhalation
    Lord of the Sky
    Passage of the Shifting Sands
    Rot of Ages
    Vision of the Omniscient Eye
    Wingblast

Player's Handbook II/
    Doom of Scarabs
    Kelgore's Fire Bolt
    Kelgore's Grave Mist
    Slashing Dispel

I found ~140 spells from the 3.0e that, I believe, have never been revised for the 3.5e, so I added them all to the list. However, there were two spells that I didn't add for the reason that, even if they had never been revised indeed, their effects seemed either outdated or too good compared to other 3.5 spells. These spells were Augment Object (too good, from Stronghold Builder's Guidebook) and Energy Buffer (too old, from Tome and Blood). Again, this is certainly debatable and I can add them. (edit: both added)

Okay. Now I would need you to:

• point out any incorrect detail you find.
    • correct any mistake I made.
    • suggest other good ideas.

You probably noticed that my English isn't native level, I'm French, so I'm sure there are weird things in the preamble. I would very much appreciate any correction. (If you could just specify when you do whether the grammar is wrong, or if the sentence just sounds awkward to native ears, that would be awesome!) There's no need to check the figures, a program I made verified them for me.

Important note: this list doesn't include Pathfinder spells, though.

The spell list can be found HERE. Thank you!
    Last edited by Pippin; 2015-08-07 at 06:13 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Complete List of 3.x Wizard Spells

This is a very small thing, but unlike in French, the English language doesn't insert a space before a colon. So instead of "Some figures :" you should say "Some figures:".

I didn't notice anything too weird otherwise, so good job! Granted, I'm a bit tired and I might not be reading too well tonight, so maybe someone else will have another note for you.

3. - Top - End - #3

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by paranoidbox View Post
    This is a very small thing, but unlike in French, the English language doesn't insert a space before a colon. So instead of "Some figures :" you should say "Some figures:".

I didn't notice anything too weird otherwise, so good job! Granted, I'm a bit tired and I might not be reading too well tonight, so maybe someone else will have another note for you.
    Thank you. I will update that and add a table of contents.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Mindrape and Programmed Amnesia should both be on there. There is one huge mechanical difference and a critical change of descriptor. Programmed Amnesia is less of an update and more of a non-evil alternative.

This is a very good list, thank you.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Just popping in to say that I really appreciate what you've done.

6. - Top - End - #6

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by ZamielVanWeber View Post
    Mindrape and Programmed Amnesia should both be on there. There is one huge mechanical difference and a critical change of descriptor. Programmed Amnesia is less of an update and more of a non-evil alternative.

This is a very good list, thank you.
    Alright unless someone objects to this, I will add mindrape in the next version.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by annulus View Post
    Just popping in to say that I really appreciate what you've done.
    Thank you

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Out of curiosity, was this done in LaTeX?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Excellent work, thanks very much!

Very relevant to these two threads, I think:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...y-wizard-spell
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...d-for-2-000-gp

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I think for the sake of completion you should include Augment Object and Energy Buffer on the list.

10. - Top - End - #10

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by annulus View Post
    Out of curiosity, was this done in LaTeX?
    Absolutely! I can't imagine using Word and friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Excellent work, thanks very much!
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by MindArkantos View Post
    I think for the sake of completion you should include Augment Object and Energy Buffer on the list.
    Alright I will add them.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Let us know when you've updated, I would like the completed list

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Great work! I was just thinking to post and ask if someone knew about a list like this and BAM, I see your post. You're a saviour!

I feel like Antimagic Aura, Lutzaen's Frequent Jaunt and Lower Spell Resistance should be added to the list: Antimagic Aura has different targeting mechanics, material component and partially effect (i.e. it also affects the target's magic items) from Antimagic Ray; Lutzaen's Frequent Jaunt has different range, duration and effect (you can't act after teleporting with Lutzaen's Frequent Jaunt because it works like dimension door) from Dimension Jumper and it's from a different school; Lower Spell Resistance is a completely different spell from Vulnerability (funny enough, they were both present in Draconomicon and only Vulnerability was updated in Spell Compendium).

Will you add spells from Dragon Magazine/Compendium?
    Extended signature here. Contains: 2 avatars, 3 quotes, a doggo and his friends.

Kitchen Crashers: an adventure building Iron Chef - First edition running 20/04/18-18/05/18.

13. - Top - End - #13

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Pine View Post
    Great work! I was just thinking to post and ask if someone knew about a list like this and BAM, I see your post. You're a saviour!

I feel like Antimagic Aura, Lutzaen's Frequent Jaunt and Lower Spell Resistance should be added to the list: Antimagic Aura has different targeting mechanics, material component and partially effect (i.e. it also affects the target's magic items) from Antimagic Ray; Lutzaen's Frequent Jaunt has different range, duration and effect (you can't act after teleporting with Lutzaen's Frequent Jaunt because it works like dimension door) from Dimension Jumper and it's from a different school; Lower Spell Resistance is a completely different spell from Vulnerability (funny enough, they were both present in Draconomicon and only Vulnerability was updated in Spell Compendium).

Will you add spells from Dragon Magazine/Compendium?
    Thank you!

I've just added Antimagic Aura and Lutzaen's Frequent Jaunt. You are confusing Vulnerability with Spell Vulnerability, which are two different, separate spells.

Edit: I won't list spells from magazines, and, as far as I know, there's no wizard spells in Dragon Compendium. I believe this list is quite finished now, I'd rather correct nitpicks from now on. If someone finds a spell that I've never seen, I'd be more than happy to add it though.

Quote Originally Posted by paranoidbox View Post
    Let us know when you've updated, I would like the completed list
    I just updated it and changed the link.
    Last edited by Pippin; 2015-05-09 at 06:35 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

The Spell Compendium, on pages 5 and 6, has an official list of spells that were renamed when they were included in that book. None of the spells you left off is on that list, so if the presumed-update is from Spell Compendium, then both are still valid.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

15. - Top - End - #15

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    The Spell Compendium, on pages 5 and 6, has an official list of spells that were renamed when they were included in that book. None of the spells you left off is on that list, so if the presumed-update is from Spell Compendium, then both are still valid.
    I'm aware, I've used that list many times. I still think it isn't quite complete, and Lower Spell Resistance -> Spell Vulnerability is probably the most blatant omission.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

It might not be complete in practice, but it's officially complete. Which means that the spells not on that list are officially still valid, even if they probably shouldn't be.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground

A great list. I congratulate you on your assemblage.
    Order of the Stick Avatar done by the talented Kymme.

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    The Half-Hamster template gives me advantageous size and ability score bonuses, and combos well with my inherited Elderberry Radiance (Ex). Which is more than I can say for you, you class-dipping CL-losing Evoker!
    I was eating THOSE BEANS!!

18. - Top - End - #18

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Rakoa View Post
    A great list. I congratulate you on your assemblage.
    Thanks

As Hide Life is being mentioned in other threads, I realized I somehow omitted to list it while browsing Tome and Blood. This has been corrected now.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd like to also say thank you for your contribution to the gaming community.

I've finally opened up the list, and wow, it does look pretty. As a cleric player, I'm sad that it's wizards-only, but it's still a list I can use.

Do you have this list in a spreadsheet format, or is it able to be converted to one? Being able to filter and rearrange lists like this is something I enjoy. Further, if it's in a spreadsheet format, you can likely more efficiently compare it against two other (offline) sources that I have if you'd like to check for completeness.

Edit: One other thing -- you haven't included your screen name/name in the document! I'd like to be able to share this with others and make it easy for them to know who made it.
    Last edited by GilesTheCleric; 2015-05-13 at 06:46 AM.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room!" – Kubrick, "Dr. Strangelove"
    I do still exist. I'm active on discord. Priestess of Neptune#8648

20. - Top - End - #20

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by GilesTheCleric View Post
    I'd like to also say thank you for your contribution to the gaming community.

I've finally opened up the list, and wow, it does look pretty. As a cleric player, I'm sad that it's wizards-only, but it's still a list I can use.

Do you have this list in a spreadsheet format, or is it able to be converted to one? Being able to filter and rearrange lists like this is something I enjoy. Further, if it's in a spreadsheet format, you can likely more efficiently compare it against two other (offline) sources that I have if you'd like to check for completeness.

Edit: One other thing -- you haven't included your screen name/name in the document! I'd like to be able to share this with others and make it easy for them to know who made it.
    This has been redacted via LaTeX. I can certainly provide the original .tex file, but unfortunately I have no spreadsheets

I purposely didn't include my nickname in the document, I like it anonymous. If the people you shared this with ask where you found it: just give them the link of this thread.

If you somehow manage to compare this list with other lists you have, feel free to show the results and point out the spells I missed! Thanks

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

dead link redirection

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VisitingDaGulag View Post
    dead link redirection
    Yeah. OP's link must have timed out. Anyone got a copy they can reupload to a permanent host?
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

23. - Top - End - #23

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    Yeah. OP's link must have timed out. Anyone got a copy they can reupload to a permanent host?
    No need, I've just put it on Google Drive

24. - Top - End - #24
    Firbolg in the Playground

HalflingPirate

This looks awesome!
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

25. - Top - End - #25

BlueKnightGuy

Have you seen CantripN's Spellbook on minmaxboards?

Similar project; comparing might help find any holes that either of you have.

26. - Top - End - #26

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Pluto! View Post
    Have you seen CantripN's Spellbook on minmaxboards?

Similar project; comparing might help find any holes that either of you have.
    I once saw it but I've no idea where to find it again. It was something much broader right? Like the entire list of all spells from all classes?
    Last edited by Pippin; 2015-05-17 at 02:46 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

BlueKnightGuy

It's the Spells link here.

Yeah. It had a lot of goals and kind of suffered as a map due to being bigger than its territory, but it included a complete class spell list section.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

My munchkin optimizer senses were triggered immediately when I noticed you didn't have Arcane Bolt listed. So, do you have any plans for spells appearing on WotC Web Enchantments?

29. - Top - End - #29

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Pluto! View Post
    It's the Spells link here.

Yeah. It had a lot of goals and kind of suffered as a map due to being bigger than its territory, but it included a complete class spell list section.
    Thanks. I will take the time to compare both lists soon.

Quote Originally Posted by darksolitaire View Post
    My munchkin optimizer senses were triggered immediately when I noticed you didn't have Arcane Bolt listed. So, do you have any plans for spells appearing on WotC Web Enchantments?
    I should add them, the only things I don't add are things from magazines and Pathfinder. But would you know what web enhancement each spell comes from?

For example, I'm willing to add Animate Dead Familiar but I don't know what book should be related to it.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

I don't suppose there's any chance you've done (Or know of.) a similar list for Divine Spells, do you? You know, for the aspiring Archivists out there?
    "I Burn!"