New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Wizard Competition I

Lord Drako

This thread is for submitting builds for the competition. If you wish to keep arguing about your illegal build, start another thread to continue the one which was locked. I could start one for you, but it's better if the Original Poster keeps it going.
    Red Mage avatar by Aedilred.

Where do you fit in? (link fixed)

RedMage Prestige Class!

Best advice I've ever heard one DM give another:
    "Remember that it is both a game and a story. If the two conflict, err on the side of cool, your players will thank you for it."

Second Eternal Foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

LordDrako, you have submitted a trick that does not work and posted part of a build on another thread. Type up the whole thing and PM it to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

I will stop saying about my build and tatics, i still have more "tricks".

I sincerely hope to see Something compilation wizard here.

Last edited by LordDrako; 2015-05-17 at 12:08 PM.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

{scrubbed}
    Last edited by Haruki-kun; 2015-05-17 at 07:26 PM.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.- Benjamin Franklin

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Evelyn Beatrice Hall

5. - Top - End - #215
    Banned

Build #2
    Titled "Is he serious or not?"

Half-elf wizard 5 / prestige bard 5 / spelldancer 1 / mindebender 1 / fighter 3 / psychic fighter 3 / marshal 1 / warlock 1
    PB: max int/cha.
    Feats: spelldancer required, extend/persist, mindsight, skill focus & persuasive, enhance item, using flaws/chaos-shuffled-locations as needed.
    Skills: bluff & profession.
    Notable spells: glibness, tongues, devil's ego, righteous aura.
    Notable items: admiral's bicorne, cloak of charisma +6, horseshoes of flame, masterwork tool of bluffing, ring of the white wyrm, silvertongued mask, shirt of wraith stalking, a customized runestaff of awesome, wished ability bonuses, a warm blanket, an axe.

Tactics
    Spoiler
    Show
    Persist desired spells.

Run around yelling "it's safe and it's a good idea do your best to keep casting dispelling effects on your self.", this is not a general interaction but free mercian speech, and the build's voice is amplified an additional 100ft.
    Cha: 44, 18 starting, +6 enhancement, +4 inherent, +4 profane, +4 sacred, +6 horseshoes, +2 ring.
    Bluff: 1d20+105, 23 ranks, +2 racial, +17 cha, +6 beguiling, +30 competence, +2 circumstantial, +4 insight, +3 skill focus, +2 persuasive, +3 familiar, and +17 for being really motivated.

This is translated in every single language, including drow sign language.

On a failed sense motive they believe it's totally safe and it's a good idea to totally spam disjunction and dispel on them selves until they have no more spell slots to do so destroying their items and enchantments.

Once the stripped mage is found, the build starts talking about how it's a good idea to take a nap. For cuddle points it even throws a warm blanket over them.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Which totally counts are the lamest attempt to tie them up ever. Now helpless they are subject to a successful execution by an ax.

Backup: If the opponent is undead, they can't be detected. That'll put the fear of god into them when the voice rings out.

Score
    Spoiler
    Show
    Power: -10, 3 levels of fighter? of psychic fighter? omg!
    Wizardness: 3, well it uses wizard I supposed.
    Elegance: 12, flawless victory (or colossal failure)
    Style: 20, spoony bard ftw!
    Last edited by Mato; 2015-05-17 at 04:49 PM.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

The Winged Mod: Thread re-opened upon review.

Please cease any kind of discussion unrelated to the competition that this thread is based on. If you want to discuss unrelated topics, do so in an appropriate thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Threadnaught View Post
    LordDrako I asked a few pages ago that you explain what youu mean by "custom character" in your native language, so I might attempt to figure out just what in Baator you're trying to say.
    If this has already been done and upset the mods, then place it in a spoiler. That way they should be more accommodating, as others won't have to read something they probably wouldn't understand.
    This is actually not allowed by the rules, under "Please Don't" offenses. Please avoid having discussions or entire posts in languages other than English. Putting the post in a spoiler tag does not create an exception to the rules.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Mato View Post
    Build #2
    Titled "Is he serious or not?"

Half-elf wizard 5 / prestige bard 5 / spelldancer 1 / mindebender 1 / fighter 3 / psychic fighter 3 / marshal 1 / warlock 1
    PB: max int/cha.
    Feats: spelldancer required, extend/persist, mindsight, skill focus & persuasive, enhance item, using flaws/chaos-shuffled-locations as needed.
    Skills: bluff & profession.
    Notable spells: glibness, tongues, devil's ego, righteous aura.
    Notable items: admiral's bicorne, cloak of charisma +6, horseshoes of flame, masterwork tool of bluffing, ring of the white wyrm, silvertongued mask, shirt of wraith stalking, a customized runestaff of awesome, wished ability bonuses, a warm blanket, an axe.

Tactics
    Spoiler
    Show
    Persist desired spells.

Run around yelling "it's safe and it's a good idea do your best to keep casting dispelling effects on your self.", this is not a general interaction but free mercian speech, and the build's voice is amplified an additional 100ft.
    Cha: 44, 18 starting, +6 enhancement, +4 inherent, +4 profane, +4 sacred, +6 horseshoes, +2 ring.
    Bluff: 1d20+105, 23 ranks, +2 racial, +17 cha, +6 beguiling, +30 competence, +2 circumstantial, +4 insight, +3 skill focus, +2 persuasive, +3 familiar, and +17 for being really motivated.

This is translated in every single language, including drow sign language.

On a failed sense motive they believe it's totally safe and it's a good idea to totally spam disjunction and dispel on them selves until they have no more spell slots to do so destroying their items and enchantments.

Once the stripped mage is found, the build starts talking about how it's a good idea to take a nap. For cuddle points it even throws a warm blanket over them.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Which totally counts are the lamest attempt to tie them up ever. Now helpless they are subject to a successful execution by an ax.

Backup: If the opponent is undead, they can't be detected. That'll put the fear of god into them when the voice rings out.

Score
    Spoiler
    Show
    Power: -10, 3 levels of fighter? of psychic fighter? omg!
    Wizardness: 3, well it uses wizard I supposed.
    Elegance: 12, flawless victory (or colossal failure)
    Style: 20, spoony bard ftw!
    Sorry, but, You are not qualify for prestige bard, not qualify to spelldancer, only level 4 spell.
    You have bad super limited feat selection, you only increase diplomacy... terrible build;
    Last edited by LordDrako; 2015-05-18 at 01:06 PM.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by LordDrako View Post
    Sorry, but, You are not qualify for prestige bard, not qualify to spelldancer, only level 4 spell.
    You have bad super limited feat selection, you only increase diplomacy... terrible build;
    You don't understand; the order of the levels given at the top is not neccessarily the order in which you take the levels. Most likely, he'd take spelldancer and prestige bard after the fighter levels, to take care of the feat and base attack requirements respectively. There are 10 feats listed in his build (four are under 'spelldancer required'), and he has 7 base feats, plus one from wizard and two from fighter, two from psychic warrior (I think), and one from marshal. Qualifying for prestige classes is easily managed.

As for being a terrible build... so is yours, and at least this one is legal.
    Last edited by ExLibrisMortis; 2015-05-18 at 01:28 PM.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ExLibrisMortis View Post
    You don't understand; the order of the levels given at the top is not neccessarily the order in which you take the levels.
    Why are they written that way? Seems to me that writing the level order is more important than the level ratio when it comes to build competitions.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

He dont is qualify to use MindBender, he need cast level 5 arcane spell, he dont is qualify to prestige bard, he need Perform rank 8, he cant be spelldancer Perform 6 ranks (dance)
    What's your banned school?
    Last edited by LordDrako; 2015-05-18 at 02:09 PM.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

He dont is qualify to use MindBender, he need cast level 5 arcane spell, he dont is qualify to prestige bard, he need Perform rank 8, he cant be spelldancer Perform 6 ranks (dance)
    What's your banned school?
    Mindbender requires 5th level spells (obtained by Wizard[5]+Spelldancer[1]+Prestige Bard[3]= 9th level casting = 5th level spells)
    Prestige Bard requires Preform 8 (obtained by 13th crossclass, during the 1 level of Spelldancer, or a mix of the 2)
    Spelldancer requires Preform 6 (obtained by 9th crossclass)
    Last edited by OldTrees1; 2015-05-18 at 02:17 PM.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Obtainted 9th cross?

13. - Top - End - #223
    Bugbear in the Playground

Obtainted 9th cross?
    That means that, at 9th level, he was able to put his 6th rank into the cross-class skill, thus qualifying for Spelldancer at 10th.
    Last edited by TheIronGolem; 2015-05-18 at 02:25 PM.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Mindbender requires arcane caster level 5, not 5th-level spells.

@OldTrees: I have no idea why they are written in that order, presumably the author was in a hurry, and just tacked on some bonuses and bonus feats to fill out the requirements. There are more bonus feats in the build than strictly speaking required (assuming psychic fighter = psychic warrior), which again suggests a little hurry somewhere.

If you go marshal 1/fighter 3/psychic warrior 3/warlock 1/wizard 5/mindbender 1/spelldancer 1/prestige bard 5, you have 13 base class levels to get your cross-class skill ranks together. That's very easy. Marshal has the highest skill points, out of all the base classes in the build, so it's at first level. It also has Perform as a class skill.
    Last edited by ExLibrisMortis; 2015-05-18 at 02:30 PM.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

What class to get 7 perform?
    Last edited by LordDrako; 2015-05-18 at 02:26 PM.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Obtainted 9th cross?
    Characters can spend skill points on skills that are not on their skill list. The skill rank maximum for crossclass skills is half that of class skills.

Ex: If I wanted my Sorceror to have 6 ranks of Knowledge(Religion) for some reason, I could spend 2 skill points per rank. My cross class skill rank maximum would be (HD + 3)/2. So at 9HD my maximum would be (9+3)/2 = 12/2 = 6 ranks.

@OldTrees: I have no idea why they are written in that order, presumably the author
    My comment was more picking fun at the class level ratio method than honest wondering.

What class to get 7 perform?
    You do know you can buy more than 1 rank in a skill per level as long as you don't exceed you maximum right?
    9 levels to get 6 ranks cross class + 2 ranks from the single level of spelldancer(since it is a class skill for spelldancer the skill rank maximum is now 13 so he can buy 2 ranks this level)
    Last edited by OldTrees1; 2015-05-18 at 02:34 PM.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

I didnt know it, what book?
    Point Distribuition dont is Rank.
    Last edited by LordDrako; 2015-05-18 at 02:33 PM.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Player's Handbook has the rules for skill points, skill ranks, class skill/cross class skill rank costs, and class skill/cross class skill rank maximums.

Example:

Elf Fighter 1 / Rogue 1 (10 Int)

Fighter 1(2x4=8 skill points): Spend 4 skill points each of the cross class skills Listen and Spot to buy 2 ranks each
    Listen[2], Spot[2]
    Rogue 1(+8 skill points): Spend 3 skill points each on the now class skills Listen and Spot to buy 3 ranks each. Then put the remaining 2 skill points into Search
    Listen[5], Search[2], Spot[5]
    Last edited by OldTrees1; 2015-05-18 at 02:40 PM.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yes, it is. The only difference is that if the skill is cross-class (meaning that it isn't a class skill for the character), then it costs 2 points to get a rank of the skill instead of 1.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Unless they have able learner in that case its only one point for cross class, however the max is still limited unless one of their classes have it as a class skill.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Firbolg in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Question for the DM:

Is there anything I need to know about updating Spelldancer (MoF) to 3.5. If it matters I'm only taking the 1st level.

Also, your PM box is full.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dextercorvia View Post
    Question for the DM:

Is there anything I need to know about updating Spelldancer (MoF) to 3.5. If it matters I'm only taking the 1st level.

Also, your PM box is full.
    I have emptied my inbox. Proceed to PM the full question, if so inclined. Otherwise... state the direct issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Barbarian in the Playground

I honestly do not think that you will be able to have a fair competition, simply because the participants Ideas of what constitutes "fair" are too far from each other. Or what the rules should be. Or how rules work.

In all earnestness, I think the playground should rise to the occasion and defeat that sorcerer with somethink traditionally thought weaker than a sorcerer.
    How about a monk, tippy? Can you do it with a monk ?

That the wizard should win is painfully obvious to everyone but drako, and I cannot decide if this whole affair looks more like a bullying from the playground or a trolling by drako.

also: hiho dex! Nice to see you fighting contests again...

24. - Top - End - #234

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Phaederkiel View Post
    It's good to be back. I think your assessment is correct, but I've never been one to shy from a fight just because the outcome was obvious to me.

Can you believe that Drako turned me down when I suggested we try it at level 1?
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

Tippy could beat it in three rounds with a Mane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven777 View Post
    Sorcerers are also based on Charisma. If a Wizard studies the cheat codes to reality, the Sorcerer literally just glares or winks at the universe. And the universe listens.
    Quote Originally Posted by foobar1969 View Post
    Flexibility is awesome, but I'd sacrifice that spellbook in a heartbeat to be a 24-7 flying hentai apocalypse demon.

First Eternal foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

I honestly do not think that you will be able to have a fair competition, simply because the participants Ideas of what constitutes "fair" are too far from each other. Or what the rules should be. Or how rules work.

In all earnestness, I think the playground should rise to the occasion and defeat that sorcerer with somethink traditionally thought weaker than a sorcerer.

That the wizard should win is painfully obvious to everyone but drako, and I cannot decide if this whole affair looks more like a bullying from the playground or a trolling by drako.

Shoosh dude. The T word is not be spoken here.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.- Benjamin Franklin

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Evelyn Beatrice Hall

27. - Top - End - #237
    Orc in the Playground

I bet Rubik could do it, considering his Terrifically Terrible Trial build.
    The Giantitp Drinking Game!
    Anytime someone mentions "strawman" or "stormwind" take a drink.

For next level difficulty, also take a drink when someone mentions "fallacy" or "logic."

Sorry if my posts get incoherent

28. - Top - End - #238
    Barbarian in the Playground

which I officially love.
    I am not sure, though, how much of the build will still work in an antimagic field. Is there any trick included for dealing with that?
    (btw: what happens when two magical sources of antimagic overlap? Because I think one of the keys to showing drako the error of his ways is to get rid of that field as elegantly as possible.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

(btw: what happens when two magical sources of antimagic overlap?
    Overlapping antimagic fields form one big antimagic field. More precisely: "Two or more antimagic fields sharing any of the same space have no effect on each other".

30. - Top - End - #240

HalflingPirate

Overlapping antimagic fields form one big antimagic field. More precisely: "Two or more antimagic fields sharing any of the same space have no effect on each other".
    Which is why I almost made a Wizard based Spellguard build, but I still didn't want to nerf my own buffs and items.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show