A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default [LS] Chapter XI: The Soul Warren (IC)

There was only darkness, complete and absolute. For a time, that was all that was. Then, slowly, with time, it begun to ease away creeping like some living shadow of umbral shade that censored all senses.. After a moment a small, dim light 20 ft ahead is visible. The magical red flame of the lantern was suspended upon a long chain that stretched up beyond all sight. It cast a small 10 ft circle of light under it. The stone is cold... laying upon the ground slightly dazed from the transition. A strange smell hung in the air... A burning aroma that was somewhat bitter, yet held a hint of sweetness as if a small cloud of smoke lay in the air....

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [LS] Chapter XI: The Soul Warren (IC)

My turn.

Kestal'Fel

Her wings splayed out beneath her and her tail awkwardly lying between her legs, Kestal'Fel stretches out her arms and stares up into the darkness, arching her back as she grins, happy to finally be in control, even if it is a time-share. Still, she knows this isn't the place to rest and relax, even without Eris' mental reminder.

Seeing the light appear, the demi-succubus sits up, pondering why the darkness is impenetrable even to her senses before she rises and starts to make her way toward it. "Koriah, sweetheart, are you here?" She calls out, wondering if her new lover ended up somewhere else.

Sweetheart?

Only 'til the next we--
    I get it. Still, the light could be a trap you know.
    Yes, but it's either that, or stumble around in the darkness further, and we're tired of being blind.
    Last edited by Desril; 2015-05-15 at 09:20 PM.
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

The Stray Soul

" Yes, Yes... I'm here..." She crawled a long the ground blindly walking towards the light. " This... supernatural dark. Was impossible to see anything for awhile. It looks like it's beginning to recede."

Spoiler: Darkvision/Low-Light Vision
    Show

The chamber appears to be 100 ft wide. A massive circular cavernous subterranean hole... The walls appeared to be made of some strange dark-shadowy grey glass-like stone. Forms danced and shifted like shadows beneath its surface. It was a supernatural substance foreign and strange, as was the floor they stood upon. The light hung from an iron woven chain, a magical pyre. The chain which it hung from stretched off into the distance for hundreds and hundreds of feet disappearing into the blackness of the ceiling, seemingly without end.

It was quiet, but distantly something could be heard in the distance. Lightly echoing about the place. They were not alone... Koriah crossed her arms and slid out two golden-bladed knives from her worn and ragged clothes. A sound could behead behind them, as Jeska was dropped upon the ground behind them. " Something about this place... just isn't right. "

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Nadia Vorns, The Newborn Drake

As she falls, Nadia's wings return, their glimmering light unable to extend in the darkness, but still slowing her fall. As she alights, she collapses to the ground, silent tears streaming down her face as her body convulses.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Kestal'Fel, the Prophet of Pleasure

Nodding at Koriah and glancing back toward Jeska as the human drops in on them, Kestal looks around. "You're right, I'm not exactly comfortable here myself," she says just in time for Nadia to make her more elegant entrance. She doesn't notice the tears at first, but is quick to note the shaking of her body, with Eris realizing what it meant moments later. Let me talk to her! We did this, we have to try make it right.

Rolling her eyes while facing away, she calls out to Koriah again, "Just be careful. Don't stray too far."

Eris, the Hand of Hope

Glad that her other half relinquished control so easily, Eris silently thanks her hornier half and turns their attentions to their weeping companion. Approaching slowly, she tries to speak in as calm and soothing a voice as possible as she approaches, eventually getting down on one knee beside Nadia, "It's okay now, just take a moment to catch your breath," she tells her. "I know things have been crazy, so just let it out." Reaching out, she hesitates, wanting to put a hand on Nadia's shoulder but not knowing if she should before deciding to follow through to try and comfort her. "If you just want to let it out, that's ok, but...I'm here for you, if you want to talk..."

If she wants to talk? Really? That's the best we could come up with?
    Quiet, she needs to decide what to do on her own, I don't want to push her. We've done that enough.

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Nadia looks up at Eris
    So many...so many dead...
    Her look is full of completely hopeless despair
    I saw it, Magister. I saw the end come...

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Eris

Oh...she's still taking in everything that happened...so then I guess...
    We were probably the only good part of her day, yes.
    It was still wrong to compel her that way.

Doing her best not to look relieved, Eris returns Nadia's gaze with a look of compassion. "It's alright, the people we cared about were saved. You saw a possible end...not the path that was ultimately followed. What you saw never happened, and it never will," she says with conviction, hoping that the young woman might be more comfortable if she sounded like an authority figure. Though their titles didn't mean much here, the Magister did outrank the lieutenant. And if nothing else, Eris needed to remind herself of that fact too. After all, she only barely understood what had happened, and she'd had far more information than anyone else here did.

Oh, clever, make her loyal and obedient, I like it.
    That's...that's not what I'm doing!

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Nadia Vorns, the Newborn Drake

Her convulsing seems to slow, but the tears keep flowing.
    You're...you're right...we did stop it. But it was so close. We were so stupid. We almost killed everyone...
    Another convulsion wracks her body
    I was powerless...I couldn't do anything to help...

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

The Stray Soul

Koriah speaks low as she backs into the group of them. " Something... Something's in here with us. " She quickly snaps out her two golden knives, throwing them off into the darkness and into the floor. KHINK The sound could be heard off in the distance somewhere as they dug into the stone floor. She raised her hands up her thumb and middle finger touching. Then with a snap from either hand. The blades detonated. Casting light about the chamber.

A terrible moaning could be heard all about them, like hundreds of voices crying out in pain. The massive chamber was atleast 100 ft wide. From the walls hundreds and hundreds of shadow-like silhouettes of human-like figures could be seen beneath the surface of the stone all about them, screaming out, and covering their formless faces. " ...By the gods. What is this place." She snapped out two more knives from inside her ragged cloths from beneath her armpits.

( A distant deep rasping chuckle could be heard off in the distance... somewhere. )

" Magister... What have you gotten us into now.."

Valpurga's voice could be heard in the back of her mind. " Never have I traveled here. To this place. All I have heard were but cryptic words and strange talk of 'The Dark'... This place does not sit well with me. Be on guard. "

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

The Daughter of Evening, the Daughter of Nights

[ Perception ]

At the strange sight of the hundreds of moaning shadows, and the frightful words of Valpurga and Koriah, The Magister and Kestal looked about. The Magister's eyes could not make out anything in the umbral-dark of the strange chamber. Without a thought Kestal took over the body, her senses reached out, piercing the blackness. The chamber was massive. 100 ft in circumference of the strange haunting stone. The ceiling stretched on, seemingly infinitely into an abyssal sky. 80 ft away she could make out a figure. Massive and tall. He sat upon a carved out corner of the room upon a large stone bench. A table of the grey stone before him, that looked as if it could seat a dozen or so people. The nameless entity appeared strange, and aged. He was but an old man. perhaps. but stood 7'4'' stall. He sat upon a bench humming some dark tune. He was cloaked in a billowing sheet of Bleakness. Living shadow, much like that of Mirror. He appeared neither solid no truly incorporeal. He possessed a difinitive form, yet she could see partially through him, where the shade did not conceal his figure. His flesh was pale and lifeless. A large, wide-brimmed hat made of the same bleak-energy sat atop his head, a band of the same cloth covering his eyes, like a band of fabric tied across his face. He hunched over, the bleakness of his hat, now shrouding his visage. His long stringy grey hair hung to his chin. A scruffy thick goatee around his mouth. Even so, her keen eyes had seen the terrible scar that ran across his throat, a fatal wound. A large black stick, like a foreign cigar, sat smoking in his mouth, bitter yet sweet smelling. A hand came up from his cloak of bleakness. his frail arm was wrapped in many bands of the shadow-cloth. Terrible mutilating scars crisscrossed his entire arm. He adjusted his Cigar and continued to hum a song whilst seemingly staring into the floor.

The supernatural shade begins to clear away as she catches sight of him. The mysterious light in the center of the chamber seems to brighten, and vision is restored to each of them. The chamber was circular. It possessed no entrance. It possessed no exist. It was a cavernous pit of grey stone. Though the light seemed to brighten. Each of them possessed no shadow within this place, as if the light did not exist at all.

Koriah glanced around, still on guard from the sudden change in atmosphere. Valpurga spoke again. " What a strange place.... Yet I can feel something, a force within this place. Much like that of Bleakness, creeping, seeping from the very recesses of this place... We should not stay here longer then needed."

The old entity's voice echoed out raspily across the chamber. " Heh. So the kids got sharp eyes, eh? Good to know. Good to know... That one inside ya''s got the right mind 'bout him too... This 'aint no place for da' livin'.... This 'aint no place fer' ya' either. It'll stretch ya'. Stretch ya' too thin. Bleed ya'. Take ya' under... and there 'aint no comin' back from 'dat. Heh. No, comin' back.... So make it quick, and git' along'... if ya' plan teh' be leavin' at all..."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Eris

As Kestal uses her eyes to scan the area, Eris gently pats Nadia on the back, pulling her close, "I know, but you know about these 'Reflections' just as I do. Our time being powerless is almost over, so just be strong, a little while longer."

There's something here, let me take over so I can get a better look.

Kestal'Fel

Still with Nadia pulled close, she whispers, "I promise, I'll make it worthwhile for you if you do."

As the light, or perhaps the lack of darkness would be more accurate, spreads across and Kestal gets a look at the old creature on the throne, the Prophet of Pleasure immediately recognizes another entity far beyond her own power. "I'm sorry, but I'm afraid we must ask for your help," she says, annoyed at being forced to beg for aid, preferring to leave that sort of thing to Eris. "Are you the one called 'The Dark'? Can you tell us how to leave this place?"

Spoiler: Edited action
    Show

Adding Nadia to the Harem and can now communicate telepathically with her.

Removed irrelevant Diplomacy roll of 11.

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Desril; 2015-05-16 at 08:06 PM.

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

[ The Stranger ]

The old creature, the old man, laughed for a short while then coughed. "Hehe-cah-hah... Heh... Me? I'm just a broken ol' man.... Just a stranger. But if you insist on calling meh' something...... call me Dark. " He didn't stand or move. Still content with staring at the ground. " I haven't had no visitors in some time.... a long time... damn long time..." He took a long draft from the black stick, blowing out a sweet smelling billowing cloud. Ah...So you want to leave this place? Here? ....Dun much know how ya' even got in. There aint' no door. Their aint' no exit... Figured ya be some special folks, like ol' Lights or Chaos to come on down 'ere. This 'aint a normal place, but 'bout the same as anywhere I reckon...But to your question. If I was an honest man... a true man. I'd say I haven't the slightest idea..." He stretched a bit. " I come here teh' rest... you might call it.. ' my humble abode'. Hell... this place dun even got no name, but.. A man came 'ere once. A long time ago... A damn long time... He called this place 'The Soul Warren'. Strange fellow... a damn strange fellow."

He leaned over the table. placing two large fist sized black stones on the stone surface. " All I gots for ya', for free, is what I've given. Truths and Half-Truths... Don't do no charity. But if ya' here on business. Come on over, and let's make words.... Always interested in new customers.... hehe" He spread his hands out wide. before the table. Kestal had a strange sense of Deja'vu. " Death... And Life... I deal in both. So, what'll it be? "

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Kestal'Fel

Recalling the words of the other Children, the Lady of Mornings, and Arch-Magister Black, But things have been restored without us. Which mean these could be used as payment for any number of things, most likely. But I'm curious, let's see what you come up with, given the chance.

Eris

Taking control once more, Eris speaks up. "If this is the Soul Warren, then we are where we were supposed to be going. Astrok'Ru," she uses his name, hoping that they were on good terms at their last parting, "sent us here so we might seek passage to The Wake." She pauses, "And also that you might empower myself and my friends."

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

The Stranger

The old man began to laugh and cackle. " That sorry clown is still kicking around, eh? Ye', I remember poor Lil' Siviri... crawlin' out da' dark like you ladies... broken an' bleeding, without even a damn name. Til I gave 'em one. Dat' girl did a number on 'em. Even took da' damn' ring I gave 'em and sealed it away tight. Serves 'em right though, Cunning lil' bastard, learns fast... too fast. Heard da' damn fool even lost my necklace in a damn bet with that half-blooded lil'-runt... dat' Brother of yas'.... You want a ticket to see da' old Keeper? You want a ticket to The Wake? Sure. But da' ride aint cheap. Hope da lil' devil gave ya' somethin' better then fancy words teh' pay with.... Nothin is free, nothin. So... Death.. or Life? What'll it be? "

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Eris

I do wish that he'd stop asking for death or life. I can't tell if it's a straightforward question, or if the hidden meanings reverse what the obvious answer would be.

Reaching back, she speaks, "A being like you, there is precious little you would want for. But, as I understand it, even you barter." She pulls out one of the Renor'anon, leaving the other hidden, "With this, I would buy the four of us passage."

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

The Stranger

The old man stands up, with his hands on the table looking at the flower bud in her hand, obviously more attentive. " Aiight' Girlie.... Now I'm listening... You want a ticket for you ladies... for that? Done. " He raises a hand, a strange white light formed around each of their left wrists. It did not touch their skin, but hovered just above their flesh, turning in an endless circle, a weaving light. " That'll let ya' come 'ere, without worry 'bout fallin' in the place... So what else ya got? Or, is dat' all ya' came fer'? "

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

As Kestal links their minds, Nadia feels something deep inside her. What was she doing crying? She was a Vorns. Her blood may be tainted by some demonic magic, but that did not change that she was a noble born warrior. No more would she be powerless, a victim of events beyond her. Such events did not exist.

Stand clear Magister. I am going to take a chance here, and gamble with my life.

She stood, gripping Ankiron with her left hand as she stared at the figure. It had declared itself to be The Dark, and the thing that had brought her here had told her to show him the ring. So she held her right hand before her as she stepped forward. As she speaks, her wings glow with radiance, swelling with her clear, loud, and strong voice.

You are the one who calls itself "The Dark"? My name is Nadia, Duchess of the House of Vorns, Ward to the House of D'Aritel. This ring was given to me by the Lady Alice, of the House of D'Aritel. I may not know all of its secrets, but I know that it is a tool of the Light, and that Astrok'Ru told me to show it to you. So, what interest does a creature that affiliates itself with darkness and shadows have in a true relic of the light?

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Eris

When Nadia sends telepathic message, Eris warns her, Be careful. I don't want to lose you after we've come so far. Another voice, very similar, but in telepathy the tone is different enough to mark it as someone else's, Oh, taking charge of the situation? I hope it works out, we'll have to work out a special reward for you now.

Not wanting to interfere, or overplay her hand, Eris step to the side to allow Nadia to take charge of the conversation for the time being, ready to step in in case she pushes too far.

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

The Stranger

The old man sat back down, as if his interest was quickly diminishing, or he was hastily becoming bored. " It's just Dark... if ya' must call me somehin'... Maybe ya' need teh' clean out dem' ears a' yours. Said it before. So i'll say it again... Death... and Life. I deal in both. Yeah' I knows' a Lifeweaver's sign when I sees' et'... But what of it? Got no interest in hounds that can't think fer' their own'. Ya' no Lifeweaver. Ya' no nuthin'. Ya' dun' know how teh' Weave... Ya' dun know how teh' gather. Dun' got no time teh waste on a' hound. Come cuz' The Devil says so. Bark cuz' The Lady tells ya'... Sad day... Sad day. But I aint' here to judge. If you've business, den' start barkin'."

He gestures over at the Magister, " ...And what 'bout you? You done too? If ya'll wantin' teh' be gittin' along', I'll take my payment, and ya' can be on ya' ways'."
    Last edited by Mornings; 2015-05-16 at 10:02 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Nadia bristles.
    I am no dog. No more than you. I simply have less experience in these matters. Is it wrong that, being new to such things, I take whatever advice I can? Would you not do the same, were you in my situation?
    She grins wickedly.
    You seem to have no affection for the Devil or the Lady. Would it not be to your advantage to help me to learn where they refused? What would it cost you? And the reward would be a debt owed by me. I intend to grow strong here.
    Her smile becomes almost a little wistful.
    It was an old negotiation trick that my father taught me. When you have the chance to make an alliance that costs you nothing, there is no reason to pass up the chance for profit.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Eris

Realizing that the situation is quickly turning against them, Eris was about to step back in. And then Nadia recovered, "Well played. But I'm not sure this one needs allies."

After Dark turns his attention back to her, Eris continues.

"Actually, Dark, I was curious. Though our deal for passage is already struck, the petals, the Renor'anon, I wanted to know why you wanted them. And I was curious. If we didn't need to spend it for passage, what could we have used it to gain? You say you deal in life and death, but what is life? Even death, which may seem simple isn't always something obvious."

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

The Stranger

He glanced sidelong at the noble-women with his palm in his chin, still somewhat listening. "...I dun' deal in words. There's no allies. There's no friends... There's only Business. Life. Death. And Chance... You aint gonna last long like dat' kiddo'. Words carry a weight, when they got some meanin'. If ya not a hound, dunno' what ya' are. Cuz people... men, women, kids... all dem'. They dare to question. Dare teh' think. Dare teh' ask that question; 'why?'. Hounds dun' ask. Dun need to. Loyal, to a fault. And I do love hounds'. But dun got no business wif' 'em either. Devil says flash some shinies in-front of an ol' man... and ya' dun even know why. " She shakes his head as if in disappointment. " That won't do kiddo. That wont do. "

He listened to the magister. "Take 'et, ya' dun' know what ya tradin' then. Makes meh' wonder how ya' came across em'. Bleakness aint' physical. The Renor are. It's Death. It's energy. It's Life. It's a perfect balance. Valuable, more then ya' know.. most apparent. The Renor can make things. Build things, Shape things. Restore things. Destroy em too. Magical little bits, hard to come by. Perfect in my trade.... Ya' question doh'. Dat's valid.... I mean what I say. I trade for Death, the forces of, and pertaining to. And Life, just the same. Gather the light, the life, and souls into what's mighty similar to dem' Renor. But ya' need The Blessing first to make such. Death, and Life... now that's worth any man's time. But I deal in Chance and Coin to, on the side. Wagers kill da' time. Coin don't go far, but i'll take it just the same... If ya want teh see what I gots, come on over. Or if you've had your fill, you can be gittin' along."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Eris

Never one to turn down the chance for more power, she glances to Nadia before making her way toward Dark. "In that case, please, tell me what you can offer. Perhaps I have something to trade that you'll find worthwhile...or perhaps we can play a game that interests the both of us. But it's hardly fair to barter or gamble when I don't know the prize or the wager, is it?" Pausing briefly, she continues, "And I'm curious. How can the Renor be used like that? Is there some sort of trick to it? How are they made?"

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Nadia's voice is sharp as she retorts angrily
    Very well. Then I shall ask. What is this ring? Why did Astrok think it would interest you?
    She laughs
    And of course, whatever answer you give, I cannot trust, because as you said, you will give, at best, half truths, if that. This is why I haven't bother asking questions. What is the point when I can't believe any answer given? Better to be ignorant than misinformed completely.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

The Stranger: Dark

The old man nodded at the noble's question, as if her tone was completely missed. " There ya' go, Kiddo. Now ya' learnin' " He nods at the Magister as she approaches, before looking back at the noble. " Kiddo, it ain't about what's true. What's half true. And what's a' stinkin' pile'a bull. Da' one truth, damn only truth, is there aint' no full-truths, an' no honest-man who knows what he talkin' gonna' claim otherwise. I aint' tellin' ya' teh' believe. Aint' tellin' ya' there's always gonna be one answer. There aint' many absolutes in dis' world, kiddo. Not many at all. Da' point is, if ya' plannin' on doin' what I think ya' plannin'... Is dare teh' question. Dare teh' ask. Last truth, of any truth, when that ol' bell goes off, and the lil'-lass comes teh' take ya'. The truth, is what ya' made of it. What worked. What got ya' where ya' goin'. Nothin' always gonna be right. Nothin' gonna last forever. But if ya' plan of bringin' down dis' ol' Legacy. Ya' head's not thinkin' right, but ya' heart is." The old shadow of a man pulled the smoldering black cigar from his mouth, a small black flame coming from his other hand, lighting it. Siviri didn't tell ya' teh' come teh' waste ya'll's time. That's fer-damn-sure. Can count on dat'. Mhm. He told ya to bring that-there ring teh' meh', because. Once he knew a man, a man that created the Life-Weave. Once he knew a man, that created the Death-Weave. Once I knew 'em too. Long time ago, before da' first star of ya' existence even flickered up. That man died though... Died good. Died well. Protectin' da' people he loved, the people he hated. Every soul of his damn' lil' world. His sacrifice saved em'. Saved em' all. Some chose teh' pick up his way, to carry dat' light he had to other worlds. Other places. Hoped dat' that light might preserve em' too. Might save dem' worlds, past savin'. Da' one who gave ya' that. One who passed it on over to ya'. Probably from an ol' family, eh? Probably from some place ya' never been too, eh? Probably came out, as if from no where, leavin' their mark. Now, if I was a bettin' man... which I am. I'd say ol' D'Aritel is more then ya' think. Comin' from some place not their. Comin' teh' save ya'... bring ya' out, spread that ol' light one more time." He took a long draft, and blew a sweet smelling cloud of smoke over to the Magister. It was a pleasant scent, like burning incense. " Now ya' here. Ya' didn't bother askin' no one along da' way, but ya' still here. Coulda' asked dem' ya' trusted. But ya' didn't. Coulda asked dem' folks up-stairs, but ya' didn't. Could asked The Devil, dat' can't lie... But ya' didn't.... and now ya' askin' me. Funny how that goes, eh? There aint' no sides. I aint' gonna claim what was true is true. I aint gonna claim I got any truth for ya'. But I'll tell ya why ol' Siviri told ya' teh' come... It's cuz ya' got more kick in ya' then ya' know. Ya strong, kiddo. But ya' dun' know how teh use it. Ya' shine, but ya' can't see it. Ya' blind, because ya' dun' question. But ya' ask da' right questions too late..." He pat the open space on the bench next to him. " Take a seat, Kiddo. Lemme' tell ya' a lil' story..." A dark mist surrounded Nadia. Darkness. She found herself next to the tall old man sitting upon the bench. He turned back towards the Magister. " I like ya' kid. Ya' sharp'. Both of ya' cept' da' old Fel... He never made it far. Never saw much. Always spent too much on too little. Never asked the right question. Never bothered teh ask what's the right question... But you? Ya' sharp. Heads' in da' right place. Ya gonna have teh' watch out for Kiddo 'er' tho'. She aint gonna last long like dis' if ya planning on bringin' this whole thing down...But I gots' many wares. More then ya' can count' I trade in Death. Life... and Chance. It's not so much what I can offer, it's what I can't. But if I can't get somethin' ya want. I'll get ya to someone who can. Cuz' I'm good kid. Damn good. " He took out a block of emerald stone from a dark pocket, and placed it on the table. Sides were covered in crescent moons and full suns, roughly carved into its surface. " This one is on me. First toss is always free. You can take a roll on the die if you want to play by chance. Or, we can talk other business. Nothin' aint' for sale. Nothin'. You just gotta have the right kind of currency... if ya catch my meanin'. I deal on terms. If ya wanna play. We'll play by the terms we strike. All's fair that's called fair, am-I-right? Hehe. If ya wanna keep on keepin'-on though, we can play that game too... Watch ya words. Ask the right questions, and ya' might get ahead. " He tilted his hat with a bit of a smile, taking another draft of his cigar. " I offer more den' that tho'... " He ran his hand over the two stones. The two fist-sized stones glowed with strange sigils. They were nothing like the Magister had seen before. One glowed Red, one glowed Green. " These are The DarkStones.... Red's for Death..." He took another smoke. " Green is Life... Don't get it twisted tho' It's not what ya' get. It's what ya take. Make a pact with the stones, and you can harvest that essensce fer' meh' and bring it back to this here place. Death and Life.... Deal with Death, and kill the unliving. Harvest that which makes em' tick. Make a pact with Life... ya' harvest the energy of the livin'... The goodly folk. The living things. Take their lives, n' turn it into energy... Dark stuff. Could make a Pact with both, but not always the best choice. Pends how much trouble ya' can take. How much abuse ya' can stand. Not easy walkin' the line... Not easy at all." He lifted a hand and snapped his fingers. The Renor she traded appeared on the table. And bright pale lights appeared behind them. Many mirrors of light circling the far wall. " That's what ya paid for. So now ya got it. You got a number of choices. But really only one. Take the left-most Gate to Cathedral Ruin. There you'll meet The Keeper. He'll take ya' in. Set ya' straight. Get ya' on the right path. The rest... heh. Well that's my gift to you... Chance. Freedom. They ain't all good places. Some places, even men like me fear. Some places. There ain't no light. No hope. Some places... well... heh. You take ya' shot, and hope ya' aimin' true. Aint' no second chances. " He nodded affirmingly as if to his own words. Finally getting around to answering her previous question. " There aint' many who can use dem' flowers like dat'. Only those who walk da' line, and master both can hope teh' control that force. Can hope to understand it. Spend it. Use it. There can't be no conflict in ya heart. No question in ya' soul. Ya know what ya know, and know ya know nuthin'. That's where ya start. I'm ya' man, because, I fit the bill. I'm Dark... but not the first. There ain't no trick kid. Find Dark, find me, find em', and you'll have ya man for da' job. Not an easy job. But that's why I'm still around... He-he. As for them' Blacks.. Dem' Renor. That's what it mean's by-the-by. Black, or Blacks if ya' speakin' like me. It's a language, not just some made up hala'baloo'. They are made by ya' friend. The Sly Devil, Siviri... or as ya' call him. Astrok'Ru. Gave him da' name myself, haha. When that lass broke him, and took his damn name too... mighty nasty girl. Damn... Stealin' a man's name. That's just a low blow, if ya ask meh'... Anyways, he found some way teh' make the things. Not a simple process either. How he does it, I dunno. Dun' wanna know either. Dark stuff... mighty dark stuff. " He looked over to his side again. " ..And you Kiddo. If ya wanna be a Weaver. Ya gotta decide. Death or Life. Make a pact with a stone, and you'll be as ya choose teh' be. That's all I can give ya', and the chance to decide fer' ya' self. " He leaned back in his bench putting his back to the wall. " The Keeper can get ya back here if ya sweet talk 'em. The Son of Night can get ya back here if ya short on choices... Or ya can make a pact with a Stone. And ya' can come when ya choose. Don't decide lightly though. It aint' easy reversing a Pact once made.... So kid. What ya want? Everything's fer' sale... Everything."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Nadia considers for a moment.
    How binding are these pacts? There are two sides to most pacts. If I were to, for example, bind myself to the Death Pact, would I grow weaker if I went for extended periods of time without gathering the energy of undeath? Or would I simply not grow stronger? Is it the commitment of an oath, where I have a duty to give and service beyond that is further rewarded, or that of a bounty, where there is no requirement, but reward for fulfillment?

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

The old man chuckled and nodded at the question. " You're starting to learn Kiddo. A fair question. But ya' see... It's the right question... to the wrong man. I dunno'. Simply... could say, I gots no idea. The stones are just a Junction. A point where the forces that they're bound to meet, and commune with those seekin' em. If you strike a Pact with Death. You answer to da' lil' lady herself. The terms... Dunno. The price? Dunno. Strike a Pact with Life, and ya' answer to him... He's nutty. Can't guess 'bout him. Unpredictable. Terrible. Problem is... if ya answer to em both... they dun see eye-teh-eye, if ya know what I mean. Leads teh'.... conflict. They might be joined, might be together... but just like any couple. Da' dream ends with the honeymoon, if ya catch what i'm sayin'. " He turned to her. " The Pact aint' with meh'. Me? I just offer choice, chance, and opportunity. The Pact is with dem' the terms? With dem. But know well... you touch that there stone, by ya' own will, and you aint' commin' back til the deed is done. Show em da' ring. They'll know... But if ya' gonna rise up and be a Weaver... best get dat' head a' yours in the right place. This aint' no game. They dun' play like I do. You dun' needa' decide now. Ya got all the time... too much time. Well... time enough. Until Rain comes... Then ya' clock starts tickin'... and ya' best start movin'... But til' then. Ya' got all da' time ya' need. So think hard. Ya got the gift Kiddo. It's in ya. But now ya' gotta decide what teh' do with it. " He nods to himself " Mhm... ya' got it. Now ya, just gotta figure what ya gonna be. Who ya' gonna be. But their aint' no rush. Not yet. Your Chapter has yet teh' even begin... Not til ya' step-off through that Gate anyways. Heh. "

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

The woman looks pensive.
    So, does touching the stone commit me to the pact, or does it simply take me to speak to the one I would be forming the pact with? I wish to learn more of the terms before committing myself. If it would commit me by touching the stone, do you know of how I could find and speak with these two on more...equal terms? I feel equal isn't the right word, but it is the closest I can think of.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

He shakes his head. " Ya' never will be on equal terms with Death or Life, or even Time. They're what they be. And no one can change that. Ya touch the stone by ya own will, meaningfully. And the Pact is struck. The terms of which will be given, by em'... If ya good with words. I might say 'negotiate'. But... Hard to reason wif' them. If ya' know what I mean. It's a tough sell. It's a hard call. I aint' gonna call it what it aint'. They might take a piece of ya' an' wrap it around their finger. Some bit' ya' can't get back. I've seen it... They leave. They come back. Never the same... changed. But can't tell what... Just like, something was taken and replaced. But you? Ya' a Weaver. There hasn't been one of dem' 'round in a long time... They gonna try and butter ya' up. Gonna try and make you loyal. Gonna try teh' make ya' a hound... Remember what I said. Never be a hound... Dare teh' question. Dare teh' think. This world. All worlds are cruel in der' own right. You need to build dat' truth for ya' self. So dun take it lightly. It aint' gonna be easy, but ya got it in ya, Kiddo."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Nadia seems to hesitate for a moment, when something strikes her. She begins to laugh.
    Aren't you in the process of making me your own hound? A hound with a good deal of freedom, but a hound nonetheless.
    She smiles at the Dark.
    You may be a tricky old creature, but you seem to have been honest with me. I will remember that, when the time comes. Thank you.
    As she reaches for the red stone, she catches a glimpse of Eris out of the corner of her eye, reaching towards the green. with a swift motion, she places Ankyron between the Magister and the stone.
    No. You have sacrificed enough. This time, I will be the one who risks her life.
    Her voice is hard as steel, without a hint of hesitation. Still holding Ankyron in a ready position, she reaches out with her free hand, the hand bearing the Lifeweaver's signet, and touches the red stone of Death.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro