A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 27 123456789101126 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 809
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Lord Of Mantas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Epipelagic Zone
    Gender
    Male

    Default [IC] The Trailblazer's League: Aurum Draconiaci (Pathfinder) [COMPLETE]

    The Lord of Mantas presents
    A Pathfinder Tabletop RPG Adventure
    THE TRAILBLAZER'S LEAGUE

    Aurum Draconiaci
    or: The Search for More Money


    Link to OOC


    Life in the Trailblazer’s League is rarely boring, if only because of Golarion’s seeming predilection for upheaval and strife. Whether it’s an artifact that needs retrieving, a caravan that needs guarding, a princess that needs rescuing, or monsters that need slaying, it truly is the age of adventurers. And with enough skill and cunning, and a good deal of luck, it is perfectly possible for anyone with a sword, magic and sufficient foolhardiness to make a living going out and sticking the pointy ends of weapons into things. Or, if you’re extraordinarily lucky, you can live it up with all of life’s comforts at your fingertips: Rare books, rich food, good drink, good friends –

    “And blackjack and hookers-”

    Silence! You’re not even supposed to be in this part of the story yet! *ahem* Now where was I…

    Anyway, for the last three years, the Trailblazer’s League has produced an abundance of prosperity for all those lucky enough to be accepted into its motley ranks. Although Christoph, the leader of the company, does have a reputation for a somewhat flexible outlook on things, as well as a rather offputting – and uncanny – knack for getting paid multiple times for one job – he is nonetheless a very skilled tactician and charismatic leader, able to unite a highly disparate band of adventurers into something greater – and all of them, yourselves included, have reaped the benefits. Unfortunately, all businesses have their ups and downs, and for the past several months, business has been a tad more quite than usual in Andoran. Couple that with a particularly extravagant New Year’s party, and, well, concerned mutterings and rumors begin to fly.

    So it is that you all found yourselves in your current situation.

    ***

    The time is early spring, just after the first melt of snow. Having all been in between assignments, Scarlett sent out a summons for each of you. Answering the call as quickly as possible, you entered Christoph’s rather lavish office, taking a seat as Scarlett produced a series of letters.

    “As you are all no doubt aware, there have been rumors going around that our coffers are starting to run a little dry.” Your boss’s right-hand woman sighed, rubbing her statuesque face in a way that, for anyone else, might have been construed as concern. “Regrettably, each and every one of them is true. At the current rate, we have enough money to keep everyone paid for about a month – two at most. After that, we’ve got nothing.” She then tossed her head back, a sly smile peeking out beneath the red locks that were her namesake. “But, just earlier today, we caught a lucky break.”

    “One of our glorious leader’s old… clients just sent us a message via magic this morning. There’s a small town about 60 miles west of here, called Woodshaven, and apparently, they were just attacked by a dragon. No-one’s gotten too seriously hurt, thank the gods, but a number of livestock got badly torn off. They want the problem taken care of before it gets too out of hand.” Scarlett leaned forward, piercing green eyes looking straight through each of you. “Of course, on top of stopping the attacks on the town… Where there’s a dragon, there’s a hoard. And that’s where you all come in.”

    ***

    As it turned out, that meant going in the hard way. Having sent all the mages who knew Greater Teleport on extended ‘mandatory vacations’, Christoph had arranged for the six of you to follow a trade caravan to Woodshaven, carrying supplies and a few extra livestock for sale. The man himself was absent, having received an allegedly interesting tip from elsewhere in Andoran, but did leave instructions for each of you, in the form of handwritten letters.

    Spoiler: Guardian
    Show
    Hey Guardian.
    So it’s probably around this point where you’d be saying something about how you should be back at HQ helping to keep order and calm the men in the wake of what’s happening, and let me head you off by saying that out here, on the front lines is where you’re needed most. If the past three years working with you have shown me anything, it’s that you’d let yourself get reduced to scrap before you let someone get hurt – and that’s exactly what I need here. Roy and I were never on the best of terms, but he was deadly serious when he called us in – I’m betting whatever this dragon is, it’s probably very large and very in charge. And unfortunately, I don’t have the luxury of supplying you with a legion of archers.
    So here’s what I need you to do. You have a natural talent for taking the lead. Keep the others on task, keep them safe, and… one more thing. I’m sending Kiriel along. I know you two have never gotten along at the best of times, but I expect you two to be able to keep things professional – at least when civilians are watching or a giant lizard’s bearing down on you.
    Keep safe.
    Christoph

    Spoiler: Mirana
    Show
    Hey Mirana.
    So I know that usually we’ve kept you pretty close to home in Almas – mostly to try and keep Narami from doing too much damage. And I know that you and her don’t really ‘get along’. But right now, I have need of both your skillsets. Think of this as the perfect opportunity – Narami gets to come out, and you, hopefully, will be able to learn a little how to keep her in check. You’ve made great strides since we met, but at some point, the training wheels have to come off. Keep calm, watch your teammates backs, and you’ll come out fine.
    Keep safe.
    Christoph

    Spoiler: Brigitte
    Show
    Hey Brigitte.
    So before anything else, I’d just like to say that for the past few months you’ve done great working on new infusions and extracts for us. Now, I’d like you to put those to greater use. I know you’ve always claimed your specialty is in alchemy (and, if your performance at last year’s New Year’s Eve party is any indication, comedy), but you have another talent – the best sleuth’s skills I’ve ever seen. The people out in the country, as it happens, can be a little reticent – last time I was there, trying to get info on this necromancer’s cult, getting info was like pulling teeth. Don’t be afraid to give things a second glance. Oh, and one more thing… I’m sending Stray along on this mission. I know you two have never gotten along at the best of times, but I expect you two to be able to keep things professional – at least when civilians are watching or a giant lizard’s bearing down on you.
    Keep safe,
    Christoph

    Spoiler: Auva
    Show
    Hey Auva.
    Usually I wouldn’t be sending you out into the field like this, but as it happens, the team will need both your magic and your negotiation skills. As you no doubt know by now, I’m sending Brigitte along as well. Between the two of you, you have the skills to gather what I’m no doubt sure will be a rather difficult session of trying to gather information. Don’t be afraid to give things a second glance, and remember: If this all turns out well, this’ll make another great tale for the books.
    Keep safe,
    Christoph

    Spoiler: Stray
    Show
    Hey Stray.
    I’m not going to lie. You’re a man after my own heart, even if you insist on winging things a little too much for my liking whenever I have “the plan”. But, as much as I’m loathe to admit it, even the best-laid plans can go awry at times, and an alternate perspective will be needed. That’s why I’m sending you out with the others. Of course, don’t think that gives you carte blanche to just go off on your own thing – I need you to keep your eye on the prize. Find the dragon, keep it from attacking the villagers, and find its hoard.
    Oh, and one more thing. I’m sending Brigitte along on this mission. I know you two have never gotten along at the best of times, but I expect you two to be able to keep things professional – at least when civilians are watching or a giant lizard’s bearing down on you.
    Keep safe,
    Christoph

    Spoiler: Kiriel
    Show
    Hey Kiriel.
    Ever since the beginning, you’ve had a knack for ferreting out secrets – and hey, what bigger secret is there than what the heck a big dragon’s doing in the middle of Andoran. I know you’re used to working solo, but consider this a team-building exercise. You’ll be the teams eyes in places they normally couldn’t go, and they’ll keep your back when things get sticky. Just keep your senses sharp, and you’ll be fine.
    Oh, and one more thing. I’m sending Guardian along. I know you two have never gotten along at the best of times, but I expect you two to be able to keep things professional – at least when civilians are watching or a giant lizard’s bearing down on you.
    Keep safe.
    Christoph


    And so it was, two days later, just after midday, that you came to Woodshaven, that small little town nestled in a forest along the base of a mountain. As the party walked into town with the caravan, a tall, well-dressed man approached you, skin the color of mahogany with a shaven head. His eyes flitting between the many disparate members of the team, he momentarily placed his head in his palms – then drew himself up, an expression of forced cheer on his face.

    “Welcome to Woodshaven. I’m guessing Christoph sent you?” He extended his hand, shaking each of yours with a rather soft grip. “Roy Breckenridge. I’m the mayor of this… well, formerly sleepy little town.” He gestured to each of you to follow him. “Come. I’m sure you’re all tired from the long journey – we’ll get you set up at the local tavern, and then I’m sure you’ll all want to get started.”

    What do you do?
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2015-11-16 at 09:16 PM.
    Everything dissolves into blue.

    Avatar of Kotka done by Ceika!

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Keledrath's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    GMT -5
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: [IC] Aurum Draconiaci (Pathfinder)

    Guardian, The Shield of Justice

    Guardian had simply nodded after reading the letter. He trusted Cristoph. The man was impulsive, but his heart was in the right place. Usually. The hooker were a bit excessive sometimes. He had spent a fair portion of the journey speaking with the mages that had been sent along, learning what he could on the subject of dragons and how to fight them appropriately. The idea did worry him. Those with the ability to use magic were a great threat, and dragons didn't even have the common courtesy to be squishy little robed people while doing it. This could prove a true test of their skill and resolve.

    At least the journey had given him a chance to instruct the group in the basic tactics he employed. They were all added to his mental network, enabling near instantaneous and completely silent communication of information between them, in addition to allowing him to monitor their status at any time.

    As they arrived, he moved up to the front of the caravan. He raised a large hand in greeting as the man came out, and extended it before him as they drew closer.
    Quite pleased to make your acquaintance, good mayor. I am Guardian, one of Cristoph's ranking officers. He spoke well of you when he assigned us to this mission.
    He chuckles.
    I know we are a strange assortment, but brave souls are sometimes hard to come by. Much less ones with the strength of character to aid in defeating such a mighty creature as a dragon.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

    Shadeblight by KennyPyro

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2014

    Default Re: [IC] Aurum Draconiaci (Pathfinder)

    For better or for worse... At least I hope this time he won't be so pressuring about methods and the clarity of them. Damn you Cristoph, I was about to become a count for the south region and I had to break out of my alias and disguise for this! Now my riches are gone!

    Various thoughts were going on Kiriel's mind when they arrived. It wasn't the most pleasant of times for him to be working with so many others, but the League's business always comes first. He approaches the mayor and while he extends his hand he says:

    You seem really happy with us coming here huh? He is Guardian, one of the League's ranking officers. You can address him with whatever you want as well as all the boring stuff about the "assignment", you can tell the caravan's driver where he should go with the supplies and you can tell the rest of us where we can find good wine and food in this lovely formerly sleepy little town
    "Once, a bear grappled me and I dropped my weapon. She holded me so hard that the only thing I remember is the bear releasing me and running away. All I saw was a huge part of its arm missing and the wound being burned like someone bit it with fire."

    The story of a barbarian while resting after being fatigued by his rage


    I AM NOT QUITTING ANY GAMES. I'LL KEEP CHECKING THEM AND BE SUBSCRIBED TO THEM UNTIL THE DM DECLARES THEM DEAD.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Rysc's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    In a book

    Default Re: [IC] Aurum Draconiaci (Pathfinder)

    Auva

    Before the party had set out, Auva had taken a moment to skim her letter, and then another moment to roll her eyes at Christoph's and the no doubt extremely useful and capable mages' "preoccupations." Perhaps the mages could've taken mandatory vacations in Woodshaven.

    Of course, the League does pay her, and if she wants to keep getting paid there would be nothing else for it but to go along with the others. The experience will be...interesting.

    ***

    The mayor is somewhat irritating. Granted, they are a peculiar group--a strange, scarred man, a monochromatic woman, a self-aware machine, and maybe two-and-a-half humans between them--but for dealing with a dragon, doesn't that seem much more likely to be successful than a squadron of plodding city guards?

    After the others introduce themselves, she nods at the mayor. "Auva. And try not to judge the help before they've gotten a chance to do anything, all right?" She waves a hand outwards, vaguely indicating the town. "Though I suppose your attitude may be excused due to your current draconic problem--which I'm sure you'll be able to enlighten us about as we rest our weary feet at your tavern, right?"
    Last edited by Rysc; 2015-05-19 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Tense...

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Othniel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Somewhere cold.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Aurum Draconiaci (Pathfinder)

    Brigitte

    "You could not drive a little less, ah, bumpy, could you?" she asks the driver. When he doesn't answer, she glares at the back of his head, making a face. The young woman sits in the wagon as it bounces along the road to Woodshaven. She is adjusting her attire, straightening buckles, clasps, vials, and other accoutrements ahead of arriving at their destination. Lastly, she pulls out a small mirror, wiping any dirt smudges from her face and straightening her hair, tied back in a braid. First impressions were very important, she reminds herself.
    I know we are a strange assortment, but brave souls are sometimes hard to come by. Much less ones with the strength of character to aid in defeating such a mighty creature as a dragon.
    Placing her deerskin investigator's hat back upon her head, Brigitte hops out of the wagon, brushing away the driver's attempts to assist her down. Straightening her clothing, she moves up with the others, following Guardian. As she overhears the Warforged's greeting, she adds under her breath to Auva in passing and grins, "I think he meant to say foolish souls..." She looks at Guardian, eyeing the Warforged circumspectly. Oh, I do hope the old fellow does not rust or break down out here, she thinks. I never got a good look at anything like him, and I did not bring a toolbox!

    "Speak for yourself, Guardian!" Brigitte calls out in heavily accented Common, her Galtan origin on full display. "Some of us prefer our brains over bravery," she adds, good-naturedly. As she draws nearer the mayor, Brigitte removes her traveling gloves, tucking them into a belt. After Guardian introduces himself, she steps up and curtsies with a flourish. "Brigitte Lestrade: Investigator, Engineer, Alchemist, and Professor for Practical Applications of Alchemical Creations at Absalom's Arcanamirium, at your service." Grinning at the mayor, she adds lastly, "A pleasure to make your acquaintance, Monsieur Breck-And-Ridge."
    Many thanks to Ceika for the Custom Avatar!

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Lord Of Mantas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Epipelagic Zone
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Aurum Draconiaci (Pathfinder)

    As the first of the party introduced themselves, Roy's expression fluctuated, mildly relaxing at Guardian's address before taking a steep downward curve as Auva and Kiriel spoke. Brigitte's attempt at a joke managed to break his frown, but only slightly. Turning to Auva, he opened his mouth.

    "As a matter of fact, I can enlighten you about the problem on the way there. And as for not judging the help-" Roy's voice raised slightly before he clenched his hand, taking a deep breath. "Last time your... illustrious leader came here, all I asked for was a little help taking care of a bandit problem. He ended up bringing them, a roving tribe of orcs, a bunch of necromancers and a baby dragon within a stone's throw of this place, and still had the nerve to demand his money after he'd already looted their corpses. But his ethics aside, you and your League compatriots are effective - and what Herbert was able to tell me about the dragon is even remotely true, I need effective."

    Turning to the leader of the caravan, Roy called out. "Take everything to town hall and get it unloaded. I'll stop by after I take care of these folks."

    Roy then gestured at you to follow, and began leading you into the middle of town. "So here's what happened. Two days ago, in the middle of the night, one of our local shepherds, John Smith, got woken up by his sheep wailing and the sound of gnawing and crunching. He, of course, went running scared into town yelling about being under attack, and we grabbed the militia. By the time we got back, there was nothing to be seen but a bunch of half-eaten sheep with giant claw marks in them - and the sound of flapping wings. Then, last night, it struck again. We kept Herbert and a few of the local militia around the farm as a precaution, but we definitely saw it - it was trying to tear the roof off his stable before we drove it off. Didn't get a good look at it; it was overcast and the moon's still barely out of the new moon phase, but it was massive."

    About half a minute later, Roy and you arrived in front of what was, presumably, the local inn and tavern. Above the door, a lightly worn wooden sign hung, depicting a giant, monstrous chicken breathing fire and the words The Savage Chicken.

    "Talk to Sadie inside; she's the innkeeper and will get you set up. Your rooms, two meals and two drinks a day are paid for; anything beyond that comes out of your own pockets." Roy cleared his throat. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a town to run, people to calm, and relief supplies to get squared away, so if you have any questions to ask, I would suggest you do so now."
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2015-05-20 at 06:47 AM.
    Everything dissolves into blue.

    Avatar of Kotka done by Ceika!

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Keledrath's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    GMT -5
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: [IC] Aurum Draconiaci (Pathfinder)

    Guardian, the Shield of Justice

    Guardian nods.
    I will accompany you, if you do not mind. I may be able to be of some assistance, and we can discuss matters while you do your duties.
    Meanwhile, he is already speaking through the collective's mental network. Though his natural phrasing is the form of command, his mental tone is that of suggestion
    Auva, see what the common people might know about these events. Sometimes things slip peoples minds in a crisis.
    Brigette, you may want to see if there are any skilled individuals in the village. Mages or alchemists like yourself. Even if they are unskilled, such people tend to pick up useful tidbits of information.
    Kiriel, just try not to kill anyone.
    Mirana, do whatever you think is best suited to you, but try to stay out of trouble. It took me weeks to get the dent of of my chestplate after the last time you got too excited.
    And has anyone seen Stray? Did he wander off to look at some rock or something on the side of the trail while I wasn't looking again?
    Last edited by Keledrath; 2015-05-18 at 08:38 PM.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

    Shadeblight by KennyPyro

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Othniel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Somewhere cold.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Aurum Draconiaci (Pathfinder)

    Brigitte

    "I think it more likely that he saw something alive and female," Brigitte retorts. She turns to the mayor before he leaves, "Monsieur Breck-And-Ridge, are there any mages or alchemists in your town that I may speak with?"
    Last edited by Othniel; 2015-05-18 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Verb tense!
    Many thanks to Ceika for the Custom Avatar!

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Mathemagics's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012

    Default Re: [IC] Aurum Draconiaci (Pathfinder)

    Mirana

    Mirana had been content to keep to herself through the majority of the trip and quietly watch the scenery as it rolled past. As the group arrived at the town and followed its mayor toward the inn, she continued to glance around inquisitively. Despite hailing from one of the less heavily settled regions of the world, she had still spent the vast majority of her life in one city or another. The countryside was almost like another world to the girl in that respect. As Guardian began giving out assignments she hesitated, unsure of what exactly she should be doing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Mirana, do whatever you think is best suited to you, but try to stay out of trouble. It took me weeks to get the dent of of my chestplate after the last time you got too excited.
    It's not like I can control Incidents like that... It was Narami's fault...

    Tilting her head to one side in thought, she pondered for a few moments what would be a good idea under the circumstances before an idea occurred. Her expression perked up and a broad smile spread across her features as she began wandering off, relaying her thoughts back over the mental connection as she did so.

    Right then, I'll take a look around the farm, see if there's any sort of information to be found out there!
    Last edited by Mathemagics; 2015-05-18 at 08:44 PM.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Keledrath's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    GMT -5
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: [IC] Aurum Draconiaci (Pathfinder)

    Guardian, the Shield of Justice

    Mirana can feel a small mental laugh.
    I was only teasing. I know you can handle yourself. The farm sounds like an excellent idea. Just be careful, and alert us if you need reinforcements.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

    Shadeblight by KennyPyro

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Rysc's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    In a book

    Default Re: [IC] Aurum Draconiaci (Pathfinder)

    Auva

    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Auva, see what the common people might know about these events. Sometimes things slip peoples minds in a crisis.
    Right. I'll talk to the peasants.

    And she's probably fine by herself, but maybe one of the people assigned the oh so important tasks of not doing anything could go with Mirana to check out the farm.


    Auva turns to Brigitte after the mayor leaves. "In the interest of efficiency, I think I'll be tagging along with you. You get the intellectuals, and I'll cover everyone else in the vicinity."
    Last edited by Rysc; 2015-05-19 at 07:53 AM.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2014

    Default Re: [IC] Aurum Draconiaci (Pathfinder)

    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post

    Kiriel, just try not to kill anyone.
    When are you going to stop this? You know my methods are always for the benefit of the League. I am no thug! Also, you better use your trick on a personal level. If you need to address me just call me Jamie ok? I'll go around the town, try and find out as much as I can about the incident and hopefully find that "John Smith".

    Kiriel will go into the inn, speak with various people and generally blend in. After a couple of hours he will hit the streets, starting random conversation trying to find out who John Smith is and where he can find him. In case he can find any members of the Norgorber's circle, he will ask for information about the dragon and the farmer.

    Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Gather information Dimpomacy roll: (1d20+14)[29]
    Knowledge religion for Norgorber's circle members: (1d20+10)[30]
    "Once, a bear grappled me and I dropped my weapon. She holded me so hard that the only thing I remember is the bear releasing me and running away. All I saw was a huge part of its arm missing and the wound being burned like someone bit it with fire."

    The story of a barbarian while resting after being fatigued by his rage


    I AM NOT QUITTING ANY GAMES. I'LL KEEP CHECKING THEM AND BE SUBSCRIBED TO THEM UNTIL THE DM DECLARES THEM DEAD.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Lord Of Mantas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Epipelagic Zone
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Aurum Draconiaci (Pathfinder)

    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    I will accompany you, if you do not mind. I may be able to be of some assistance, and we can discuss matters while you do your duties.
    Roy seemed a little taken aback at Guardian's offer of assistance, but softened somewhat, his expression growing neutral. "Well, honestly, there's not really much to discuss - but if you were willing to help with the logistics of getting everything taken care of, I could definitely use an extra pair of hands."

    Roy then momentarily paused as he noted the group was eerily silent, until...
    Quote Originally Posted by Othniel View Post
    "I think it more likely that he saw something alive and female."

    "Monsieur Breck-And-Ridge, are there any mages or alchemists in your town that I may speak with?"
    Roy raised an eyebrow as Brigitte seemingly made a comment out of nowhere, but said nothing. "Your best bet would be to talk to Herbert - he's our resident scholar and a deft hand at magic himself. Go two blocks down the main avenue and then turn right. His house is the most ostentatious one in town, right at the end of the road, two stories. You can't miss it, if only because some smoke from whatever he's been cooking up lately is usually wafting out the window. Alternatively, you might want to try Adelaide - she lives out on the east edge of town, little-run-down hut with ivy on it by the side of the road to the swamp. Pretty hard to miss that one too."

    *** Assuming you all then proceed with your described actions... ***

    Spoiler: Guardian
    Show
    Following Roy to town hall, you found that the trade caravan you were traveling with had already begun unloading its supplies - the usual stocks of food, cloth, and other assorted sundries, as well as other items that were clearly requisitioned in light of the attack such as weapons, lumber, and even a few odd alchemical reagents. The two of you began to order people around, instructing that various supplies be taken hither and thither, when the caravan master, a rather portly fellow with a big bushy handlebar mustache, approached - a copy of what appeared to be the invoice for everything in his hand. Taking it, Roy scanned the document carefully - and balked.

    "5,000 gold pieces!? For this!? This is nothing short of daylight robbery!"

    "I'll kindly ask you to take your accusations of theft elsewhere, Mister Breckenridge. What's there is the fair price for everything, and not all of it was easy to get."

    "But we've ordered almost all of this before! Even including the new things, it shouldn't cost half this much!"

    "Seller's market. Most everything is in short supply these days, what with new expeditions out north and all. 5,000, take it or leave it."

    Spoiler: Brigitte
    Show
    You carefully considered the choice of whether to visit Adelaide or Herbert first.

    Spoiler: Mirana and Stray
    Show
    After asking a few random passers-by, you quickly managed to ascertain that John Smith runs a farm a few minutes walk outside the north end of town. One pleasant stroll along a wildflower-lined dirt road later, you saw what looks like a farm and farmhouse in the distance - and what must have unmistakably been the site of the attack, the roof of the barn half torn to shreds and blackened in places. A middle-aged man with a gray mustache and head of hair, a weatherbeaten face, and worn clothes sat on the front porch, looking mournfully out over the pasture. A very small group of sheep can be seen there, grazing peacefully. As you approached, you saw that his eyes were red, and slightly swollen.

    "Well... you're clearly not from 'round town. I guess you must be the adventurers Herbert an' the mayor sent off for?" His voice, though clearly tinged with grief, holds a small note of optimism, and he shakes your hand firmly. "Name's John. How can I help?"

    After Stray asked about the possiblity of examining the corpses, John nodded and began leading them round the back. "Most people would've just tossed 'em straight into the ground - worry about disease. But..." He sniffs. "It all happened so fast. The missus is in a better place, the children are all grown and moved away now. Ain't got much company besides them. Not ready to say goodbye yet. Besides, I reckoned you all might be able to tell somethin' bout that dragon from the wounds."

    Escorting you around the back, John showed you the corpses of no less than eight sheep, no more than two days old. Immediately, Stray snapped out his hand, drooping his hand and swirling it clockwise while uttering an arcane-infused phrase. After using magic to probe the wounds for a moment, he came to a sudden realization - there was something off about the claw marks in the sheep, as they did not appear to match those usually made by dragons. In fact, it looks almost as if a smaller animal, with more fingers than a dragon's three, did the initial damage before someone used a knife to try and make the wounds bigger. Then, by sheer luck, Stray happened upon what he truly sought - a talon. Concentrating on it fully, his suspicion was confirmed.

    It was not a dragon that killed those sheep.

    Spoiler: Auva
    Show
    With Brigitte having made her own choice as to a destination, you began idling around the streets of town, asking people what they know about the dragon attack. Most of them couldn't really tell you much; many of them having been asleep during both attacks. You did manage to locate a few members of the militia, but even they were largely unable to tell you more than what Roy already did, some of them visibly shuddering at the memory of the flying hulk.

    Oddly, one of them appeared to only be able to utter the sentence, "Welcome to Woodshaven!" in response to your every query before what appeared to be his wife came and clobbered him over the head with a frying pan, dragging the dazed man out of the street with a hurried apology.

    After about half an hour, however, you came across what appeared to be a brawl in the middle of the street, with two men tearing it up in the gutter, clearly at each other's throats.

    "So this was yer plan, then?! Call in a dragon to finish the job from 20 years ago?!"

    "You're touched in the head, Gobbo! If anything, we should be suspecting your lot! I know your weird whisperin' ways!"


    "This was our home before you lot came and ruined it! We have no reason to want it burned! You, on the other hand, probably just want to destroy it because we won't let you have it! Well, you're not getting away with it!"


    With this, one of the men, a rather wild-looking sort with a long flowing beard and mane of blond hair, decks the other, sending him sprawling in the dirt. The other, a more immaculately groomed sort with jet black hair and a plain mustache and goatee, gets up, spitting out a tooth.

    "Funny. I was just about to say the same thing about you."

    Many of the nearby onlookers looked at the scene with clear worry in their eyes, though none dared approach the pair.

    Spoiler: Kiriel
    Show
    Entering The Savage Chicken, you made your way up to the bar and introduced yourself to the rather buxom, freckled brunette who runs the place, Sadie Hawkins. Though initially taken aback at your strange appearance, after making some conversation she readily warmed up to your natural charisma and answered your question.

    "Oh honey, John's farm ain't far at all. Right at the north end of town, just a few minutes walk away - take the dirt road that runs through that wildflower field right off the main thoroughfare. Can't miss it."

    The others at the bar chimed in with much the same sentiment, and posing questions to them revealed that they could not tell you anything beyond what Roy informed you of, as most of them were inside town during the attack. Over in the corner, however, yo did spot one oddity. A mysterious-looking stranger, his eyepatched face half-hidden by a hood and a long grey beard drooping down over his robes, sat staring and muttering into his drink.
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2015-05-23 at 10:55 AM.
    Everything dissolves into blue.

    Avatar of Kotka done by Ceika!

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Keledrath's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    GMT -5
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: [IC] Aurum Draconiaci (Pathfinder)

    Guardian, the Shield of Justice

    The large machine looks over at the caravan master
    That hardly seems fair, good sir. These people are suffering. Due to recent events, they have been forced to rely on the aid of others. And you come here, raising your prices above what you would normally charge? That is truly disgusting. Are you so desperate to increase your profit by a small margin that you would bring suffering to those who are in need of help?
    Though his tone remains level and steady, the volume rose slowly as he spoke, like that of a preacher approaching the high point of a sermon.

    While he is giving his speech, he reaches out to the others in the collective
    Did anyone get a good look at what was in the caravan? And, more importantly, can anyone give me a reasonable estimate of the price?

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Diplomacy: (1d20+20)[25]
    Appraise: (1d20)[10]
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

    Shadeblight by KennyPyro

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2014

    Default Re: [IC] Aurum Draconiaci (Pathfinder)

    Kiriel moves closer to the hooded man silently and discretely. He sits on the table in front of him and whispers:
    With One Hand I Give
    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Just in case you don't know, this is one of the two phrases that the followers of Norgorber share to identify themselves. This is usually used as a salutation in cases like this one.

    EDIT: In case Kiriel has can answer what Guardian asked.
    Perception: [roll]1d20+18[/roll]
    Appraise: [roll]1d20+2[/roll]
    And I just realized that I forgot to put a rank in Appraise.. pfff
    Last edited by skypse; 2015-05-19 at 08:24 PM.
    "Once, a bear grappled me and I dropped my weapon. She holded me so hard that the only thing I remember is the bear releasing me and running away. All I saw was a huge part of its arm missing and the wound being burned like someone bit it with fire."

    The story of a barbarian while resting after being fatigued by his rage


    I AM NOT QUITTING ANY GAMES. I'LL KEEP CHECKING THEM AND BE SUBSCRIBED TO THEM UNTIL THE DM DECLARES THEM DEAD.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Othniel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Somewhere cold.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Aurum Draconiaci (Pathfinder)

    Brigitte Lestrade

    "Ah, yes, very good!" Brigitte replies. "I shall seek out this Monsieur Herbert, and find out what he may know." Turning to Auva, she smiles. "You are more than welcome to go with me, Auva."
    Many thanks to Ceika for the Custom Avatar!

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Rysc's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    In a book

    Default Re: [IC] Aurum Draconiaci (Pathfinder)

    Auva

    Having spent the last hour or so near the house of "Monsieur Herbert," Auva is somewhat relieved when something does actually happen. Nevermind that it is currently taking the form of a street fight.

    While black-hair-goatee is getting up, she puts on a smile and strides between the two.

    "Now, gentlemen, no need to fight. This is about the dragon, am I correct? If so, then, firstly, it is somewhat absurd to toss around accusations of working with dragons. You speak of them as if they are dumb creatures that would answer to every beck and call, which is hardly true." She looks first one man then the other in the eye, partly to determine whether or not she's lost them yet.

    "Secondly, if you do want to get all worked up about this, punching each other in the gutter will just end up with one or both of you knocked out or arrested--and guess what, dragon's still on the loose! Problem not solved. We are currently trying to work on that, but it'll be harder with accusations flying around. If you are completely certain of your position, I suggest you take your arguments to either the mayor or the, ah, leader of our group, Guardian."

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Diplomacy: (1d20+20)[34]

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Lord Of Mantas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Epipelagic Zone
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Aurum Draconiaci (Pathfinder)

    Spoiler: Brigitte
    Show
    Following Roy's directions, you quickly came across a very stately manor. A verdant and colorful garden of many exotic herbs and flowers lay out front, with what appeared to be purple mist delicately drifting out the attic window. The house itself appeared to be made of fine oaken timber, and the door of rich mahogany. Walking up, you knocked on the door (the knocker itself being a brass minotaur's head), and about half a minute later, a rather portly man dressed in fine silks answered the door, a jolly expression on his copper-topped cherubic face.

    "Well well! I'm not a gambling man, by any means - I prefer to avoid games of chance - but you must be from the League! Come in, come, come!" Leading you inside, the man escorted you into a sitting room, offering you your choice of seating before taking one himself. "The name's Herbert, Herbert Felmacht. Alchemist, scholar, man of many disciplines, and a bit of a deft hand with magic if I do say so myself. What can I help you with?"
    Everything dissolves into blue.

    Avatar of Kotka done by Ceika!

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Othniel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Somewhere cold.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Aurum Draconiaci (Pathfinder)

    Brigitte Lestrade

    "Ah, Monsier Felmacht, I see that your interests align well with mine." She smiles pleasantly, removing her hat as she sits down. "My name is Brigitte Lestrade. I am an alchemist and scholar myself, and I teach at Absalom's Arcanamirium. More importantly, I am a member of the Trailblazer’s League. We have been hired to put an end to the dragon plaguing the countryside. Monsieur Mayor Breck-And-Ridge gave me your name and that of a Mademoiselle or Madame Adelaide (though he did not say what she does). I was hoping to find out if you could provide any insight as to the dragon and its behavior."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Diplomacy: (1d20+19)[39]
    Many thanks to Ceika for the Custom Avatar!

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Nefarion Xid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2008

    Default Re: [IC] Aurum Draconiaci (Pathfinder)

    Stray

    Spoiler: Previously...
    Show
    Stray had chaffed under the Guardian's relentless mental chatter and slipped away from the group as soon as they arrived in town, as well as severing the telepathic link. He didn't need the Tinman or anyone else to tell him to investigate the scene of the crime, and finding his way to the slaughter was easy enough. When he spotted Mirana coming the same direction, he joined up with her.


    Holding the talon aloft and cleaning it with magic, Stray chirps, "Ah ha! Just as I thought. Our quarry is no dragon."

    He turns back to Mirana and John with a lopsided, smug grin. "Though they delight in brutality, a chromatic dragon wouldn't leave so much meat. Reds char their food. Blacks let theirs rot. This? A beast didn't do this to feed."

    "Dragons? They make good neighbors. Attacking a village is bad form, it draws needless attention to their presence. Whatever did this, they wanted to send a message."


    His coattails swirl as he spins and catches the farmer's gaze. A lazy flick of his wrist and the way he squeezed two fingers against his palm were the only warnings he gave before he beguiled John.

    Spoiler: Silent Charm Person
    Show
    (1d20+10)[16] vs Will

    Assuming a 16 works: Stray muses, "The man who carved into these sheep with a knife, what was he trying to say?"
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2015-05-20 at 06:31 PM.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Mathemagics's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012

    Default Re: [IC] Aurum Draconiaci (Pathfinder)

    A perplexed expression crossed Mirana's features at Stray's sudden announcement. Her head tilted to one side as she gazed at the man confusedly.

    "Buuut... Didn't everyone say it was a dragon? Also that barn definitely looks burned to me... It seems like it would be pretty convoluted if it was something else pretending to be a dragon, doesn't it?"

    The girl decides to not voice her concerns over the opinion that a dragon makes for a good neighbor. Based on everything she'd heard, dragons tended to make very very bad neighbors, at least most varieties of them. But given her own admittedly sparse knowledge on the topic and Stray's perceived confidence on the subject, she merely smiles and nods.

    "Ah, but maybe you're right? I'll um-" She pauses momentarily upon seeing the somewhat eccentric display that is Stray's spellcasting. "-I'll just... be over there uh investigating the barn I guess? You've got things handled here, yeah?"

    With a small shrug of the shoulders, Mirana turns about and makes her way over towards the barn, gingerly picking her way about the scene so as to not disturb any potential clues.

    Spoiler: Looking around!
    Show

    Perception to look for anything unusual: (1d20+15)[19]
    Survival to see if there's any tracks: (1d20+5)[18]

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Lord Of Mantas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Epipelagic Zone
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Aurum Draconiaci (Pathfinder)

    As the sun ticked ever onward in the sky, the various members of the party continued their investigation...

    Spoiler: Guardian
    Show
    During your journey to Woodshaven, you found that you did not have much time to examine the contents of the trade caravan in detail, and after tdhey started being unloaded all over the place, evaluating their worth was that much more difficult. As a result, after several moments of hard thinking, you realized that you had no firm idea of what a fair cost for it all would actually be - it could be anything from 1,000 gp to 10,000.

    However, you had more luck with words, as at your speech, the caravan leader uncomfortably rubbed the back of his neck. "Look, I'm just trying to run a business here. I know times are tough, especially after the dragon attack, but I have to make a living too. 4,500 gp. That's more than a reasonable price."

    Roy looked a little less scandalized, but still looked to you with visible discomfort.

    Spoiler: Brigitte
    Show
    Herbert gave a cheerful laugh, and clapped his hands.

    "Well, my good madam, you have certainly come to the right place! I must admit, I don't often see many people from Galt. A splendid people, they are, very tenacious - and very beautiful." Producing a shimmer of magic from his hands, Herbert pulled over a cart with a steaming kettle on it, pouring a cup of tea for each of you before taking a sip himself. "In any case, like I said, you made the right choice in coming here. Adelaide, bless her heart - she's got the advantage in years, but too many of those living on the road to the eastern swamp has left her a touch paranoid. Spends half of her time muttering about figures moving around in the mist, odd groans, other such nonsense."

    "Here's what I can tell you. No-one actually saw the dragon on the night of the first attack - by the time Mister Smith got back with the militia, it had long since left, nothing left but half-eaten sheep. But just last night, it attacked again. Went for the roof, scorched it a good bit before a couple lucky arrows and a few spells from yours drove the thing off in search of an easier meal. But, as it happens, we managed to spot it going north, towards the mountain range."
    Herbert paused for another sip. "From what I remember, a lot of fel creatures have made their home in that place over the years, but one of the more recent ones was a coatl nest, right at the heart of a cave. Your best bet would likely be to start there."

    "Although, there is one more thing."
    Herbert leaned closer. "About 20 years ago, a bunch of foul cultists took root here, in the wilderness surrounding the village. Even struck at an old Druid encl-"

    "Master Herbert!"


    Suddenly, your chat with Herbert was interrupted as a sprightly young lad, no older than nineteen, bounded down the stairs. Dressed sharply, although not as finely as herbert, with an apron on and thick gloves over his hands, he had piercing blue eyes set in a very handsome and youthful face, accentuated by oak-brown hair and a soul patch.

    "Master Herbert, I've finished setting up that tincture of wolfsbane to brew. May I be dismissed for the day?"

    "Did you remember to add the copper sulfate? We don't need a repeat of last time. Alembics are rather expensive, you know."

    The young man's face flickered with doubt for a moment before nodding vigorously.

    "Very well then, you may leave for today. But be back tomorrow! 8:30 sharp! It's time we taught you how to create something a tad more general-use."

    The young man practically bounded out the door, barely stopping to give you a quick "good day" before slamming the door. Herbert chuckled good-naturedly.

    "Bardolph Falstaff, my apprentice. Good lad, rather sharp mind, but he's been a tad... distracted lately. As if his mind is elsewhere. I don't blame him, really, with what his father and the Gobbo clan being particularly at each other's throats lately. Anyway, as I was saying, there were a bunch of cultists that struck at an old druid enclave 20 years ago - never did track them all down, but occasionally a few odd happenings have been reported up in the mountains. Be on your guard for anything seeming out of sorts."

    Reaching over, Herbert then offered to mark the location of the abandoned Couatl nest on your map.

    Spoiler: Mirana and Stray
    Show
    John looked positively shocked at Stray's revelation. "You... you mean it wasn't a dragon that attacked that first night? But we heard the roar, the flapping of wings! And then just last night, when it torched the roof! Why would... what message could anyone possibly send by butchering my poor fluffy children!?" John breaks down sobbing. "I've raised them... I've raised them from little lambs, and their parents and grandparents before them! I mean, sure, occasionally we'll take one for some nice mutton, but they deserved a clean, quick death... Not like this... Not like this..."

    Stray, in the meantime, determines the claw to be none other than the talon from a bloodthirsty, slavering ghoul - and a particularly strong one, judging by the length of it. Mirana's quest, while not revealing any items of interest, does reveal some humanoid-looking racks mixed in among the sheep's. While most of them head back toward the road, there are a few that head southeast, into the forest.

    After a few minutes, Mirana decides to redouble her search efforts, eventually finding one item of interest: A small clump of moss and lichen, clearly not attached to anything similar in the vicinity.

    Spoiler: Auva
    Show
    As you walked in between the two men, they jumped back, clearly startled at the sudden interference in their fight. As you continued with your speech, the two of them, though still clearly angry, began to lose some of their fire, a brief flicker of what might have been shame crossing their faces. After you finished, a moment passed. Silence reigned, all of the onlookers seeming to hold their breath. Then, the bearded one raised a finger, pointing it at the goatee'd and mustachioed one.

    "This isn't over, you Falstaff twit."

    All of the onlookers sighed in relief, many of them shooting grateful glances in your general direction.

    As he stalked off, the goatee'd and mustachioed one turned to you, shaking his head. "I apologize that you had to see that ruckus. We usually try not to involve outsiders in this little... Blasted druids think they run the place." He drew himself up, trying to dust himself off in a vain attempt to look slightly more presentable. "Tybalt Falstaff. I'm guessing you must be one of those adventurers Herbert and Mayor Breckenridge sent for?"

    All of a sudden, a young man with oak-brown hair came bounding out of the house where Brigitte disappeared, quickly running down the road before skidding to a halt as his and Tybalt's eyes met. "...Father."

    "Bardolph. I presume you were headed straight home this time? No dilly-dallying?"

    "I... yes, father."

    Falstaff looked back over at you. "My sincerest apologies, Miss, but we must be going now. I hope you understand." Assuming no further action on your part, Tybalt and Bardolph then walked down the street, turning a corner out of sight.

    Spoiler: Kiriel
    Show
    During your journey to Woodshaven, you found that you did not have much time to examine the contents of the trade caravan in detail, and after they started being unloaded all over the place, evaluating their worth was that much more difficult. As a result, after several moments of hard thinking, you realized that you had no firm idea of what a fair cost for it all would actually be - it could be anything from 1,000 gp to 10,000.

    Moving back to the present, as you uttered the passphrase to the hooded, bearded man, he looked at you with a face of utter confusion. "Hold on half a tick, that's not how this goes! You're supposed to say 'Excuse me, dear sir, I couldn't help but notice you sitting in the corner staring at your drink. Are you in need of the assistance of an adventu-'"

    But before he could finish his sentence, a particularly hard and stale loaf of bread whizzed by your ear, clonking the walking reference poor sap in the head and sending him sprawling across the table. A quick look back reveals the perpetrator to be none other than Sadie, who calls out.

    "Rachel! Your brother-in-law is at it again!"

    A random woman then entered the bar, profusely apologizing as she dragged the sprawling, unconscious man out of the tavern - and, as she did so, revealing his eyepatch and hood to be fakes.

    Suddenly, however, you feel a light touch on your lap, and you pick up a small piece of paper. On it are inscribed five words.

    With the other I take.
    The rest of the page is blank.
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2015-05-20 at 08:38 PM.
    Everything dissolves into blue.

    Avatar of Kotka done by Ceika!

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Nefarion Xid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2008

    Default Re: [IC] Aurum Draconiaci (Pathfinder)

    Stray

    Stray screws up his face, uncomfortable, but not untouched by the man's display of emotion for his flock. Sighing, he counts out eight platinum coins and presses them into the farmer's hand (making a mental note to invoice Christoph for the expense as he does).

    "Oh, cheer up, man. Here, this should buy you a few yearlings. The uh... Trailblazer’s League conveys its deepest sympathies for your loss. We'll get to the bottom of this!"


    Calling for Mirana, Stray taps a finger to his temple, "Have you still got a connection with the Tinman, or is he out of range?"

    Spoiler: After...
    Show
    After Mirana shares her discovery of the tracks, Stray has a look. Perhaps he can determine how many creatures there were and better estimate the size of the big one that left the claw.
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2015-05-20 at 09:31 PM.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Rysc's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    In a book

    Default Re: [IC] Aurum Draconiaci (Pathfinder)

    Auva

    Auva nods, but keeps an eye on scruffy-yellow-hair as he stalks off. "I am indeed with them."

    Down that street, and--ah, did he just come from the Monseuir's house?

    She takes mental note of the son's reluctance, but simply nods again as they leave. "Good day." She bows slightly, and when they're gone, abruptly turns, coat trailing behind her.

    Can't have gone too far.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Auva will attempt to follow scruffy guy! Not sure what's needed, so have a Perception: (1d20+14)[30]

    Spoiler: If she can find him and he is (relatively) alone...
    Show

    Auva strides up alongside the man and taps him the shoulder if she needs to. A serious expression on her face, she first glances behind her, then back at him. "Just so you know, I'm inclined to believe you."

    Bluff: (1d20+20)[38]
    Spoiler: If he doesn't react negatively...
    Show
    Auva leans in conspiratorially. "I wanted to keep everyone out of trouble back there, but there's something off about that Falstaff. Probably just as no good as twenty years ago..."

    Spoiler: If he does react negatively...
    Show
    Auva puts on her best smile. "Oh, sorry, I'll take myself elsewhere. Looking for someone else."

    Apologizes for all the nesting.
    Last edited by Rysc; 2015-05-20 at 09:15 PM.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Othniel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Somewhere cold.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Aurum Draconiaci (Pathfinder)

    Brigitte Lestrade

    The young woman accepts the tea with a polite "Thank you," taking a few sips as the man speaks. Show off, she thinks to herself at his use of magic, accidentally broadcasting the thought to the others. She nods sympathetically as the man speaks of Adelaide, broadcasting to the others, We should also pay a visit to this Adelaide person on the edge of town. She lives on the road to the eastern swamps. At Herbert's offer to mark the location, Brigitte quickly nods. "And can you describe the dragon, assuming you were afforded a close enough look?" She pauses to sip some more tea, hesitating before asking her next question, "I do not mean to pry, monsieur, but is there anything my group should know involving the Falstaff and Gobbo clans?"

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Knowledge (Nature?) check for a coatl: (1d20+10)[13] (+(1d6)[6] w/no Inspiration cost on knowledge checks I'm trained in).
    Craft (alchemy) check on uses for Tincture of Wolfsbane: (1d20+20)[22]
    Sense Motive to see if Brigitte thinks he's telling the truth on everything (If you want, you can use the same result for whatever he tells her next): (1d20+19)[36]
    Last edited by Othniel; 2015-05-22 at 11:29 AM.
    Many thanks to Ceika for the Custom Avatar!

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Mathemagics's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012

    Default Re: [IC] Aurum Draconiaci (Pathfinder)

    Quote Originally Posted by Nefarion Xid View Post
    Stray

    Stray screws up his face, uncomfortable, but not untouched by the man's display of emotion for his flock. Sighing, he counts out eight platinum coins and presses them into the farmer's hand (making a mental note to invoice Christoph for the expense as he does).

    "Oh, cheer up, man. Here, this should buy you a few yearlings. The uh... Trailblazer’s League conveys its deepest sympathies for your loss. We'll get to the bottom of this!"


    Calling for Mirana, Stray taps a finger to his temple, "Have you still got a connection with the Tinman, or is he out of range?"

    Spoiler: After...
    Show
    After Mirana shares her discovery of the tracks, Stray has a look. Perhaps he can determine how many creatures there were and better estimate the size of the big one that left the claw.
    Mirana perks up from her search upon hearing her name being called. Noticing Stray, she wanders back over towards the man to see what he wants.

    "Hmm? Ah, I think it still works? Did you want me to tell him something? Oh, I also found this, not really sure what it's for, but it was just sitting around over there by the barn."

    The girl holds up the clump of plant matter, holding it in a spare piece of cloth just in case touching it directly turns out to be a bad idea.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Nefarion Xid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2008

    Default Re: [IC] Aurum Draconiaci (Pathfinder)

    Stray

    "Ah, good eye," he gives the girl a warm (flirtatious? It's hard to tell with him) smile before pilfering the bit of moss with mage hand. He sniffs at it cautiously, testing it for residual moisture and familiar scents.

    "If you don't mind, tell the others we're after a ghoul. A big one. Maybe one with wings... that also breathes fire. Also he may have a dragon friend, but THIS is definitely a ghoul's claw!" He wags the claw at her before securing it in his breast pocket. "Oh, and on top of everything, someone has been at those sheep with a knife, trying to make their wounds look bigger. It's beginning to look like someone is trying to frame a dragon for this."

    "I'll have a look at the roof and have a last look around the fields. You go ahead and join the others if you like. Or you can watch me work? he adds slyly.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Stray goes to examine the barn to see if he can deduce what burned it.

    Perception
    (1d20+23)[37]

    Nature (to see where the Moss is from)
    Take 10 for 22.

    Perception for tracks
    27, rolled OOC

    And he scans the area with Detect Magic to be thorough!
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2015-05-20 at 10:11 PM.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2014

    Default Re: [IC] Aurum Draconiaci (Pathfinder)

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    Spoiler: Kiriel
    Show
    During your journey to Woodshaven, you found that you did not have much time to examine the contents of the trade caravan in detail, and after they started being unloaded all over the place, evaluating their worth was that much more difficult. As a result, after several moments of hard thinking, you realized that you had no firm idea of what a fair cost for it all would actually be - it could be anything from 1,000 gp to 10,000.

    Moving back to the present, as you uttered the passphrase to the hooded, bearded man, he looked at you with a face of utter confusion. "Hold on half a tick, that's not how this goes! You're supposed to say 'Excuse me, dear sir, I couldn't help but notice you sitting in the corner staring at your drink. Are you in need of the assistance of an adventu-'"

    But before he could finish his sentence, a particularly hard and stale loaf of bread whizzed by your ear, clonking the walking reference poor sap in the head and sending him sprawling across the table. A quick look back reveals the perpetrator to be none other than Sadie, who calls out.

    "Rachel! Your brother-in-law is at it again!"

    A random woman then entered the bar, profusely apologizing as she dragged the sprawling, unconscious man out of the tavern - and, as she did so, revealing his eyepatch and hood to be fakes.

    Suddenly, however, you feel a light touch on your lap, and you pick up a small piece of paper. On it are inscribed five words.

    With the other I take
    The rest of the page is blank.
    Kiriel puts the piece of paper in his pouch immediately after reading it, standing up and following the strange woman.
    Let me give you a hand miss... Rachel right? My name's Jamie. Please let me carry your brother for you.
    "Once, a bear grappled me and I dropped my weapon. She holded me so hard that the only thing I remember is the bear releasing me and running away. All I saw was a huge part of its arm missing and the wound being burned like someone bit it with fire."

    The story of a barbarian while resting after being fatigued by his rage


    I AM NOT QUITTING ANY GAMES. I'LL KEEP CHECKING THEM AND BE SUBSCRIBED TO THEM UNTIL THE DM DECLARES THEM DEAD.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Keledrath's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    GMT -5
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: [IC] Aurum Draconiaci (Pathfinder)

    Guardian, the Shield of Justice

    Guardian's shoulders move as if he were sighing. Kind of weird, since he doesn't breathe.
    "If you are going to insist."
    He reaches into his bag and pulls out two small bags.
    "I will assist the mayor in covering the cost. 200 platinum sounds about right to me."
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

    Shadeblight by KennyPyro

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Mathemagics's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012

    Default Re: [IC] Aurum Draconiaci (Pathfinder)

    Mirana

    Hey um... everyone? Can you hear this? I'm still at the farm with Stray. He says that it wasn't a dragon that killed the sheep and to watch out for a ghoul. We're going to keep looking around here for a bit more I think.

    Having broadcast the status update out over the telepathic connection, Mirana moves to follow Stray. She tries to stay close enough to see what's going on but also far enough back so to avoid getting in the way as the man picks over the scene one final time.

    "But why would somebody try to make it look like a dragon attack anyway? Seems like if they were going to make up a story in the first place something less....exotic? might be a better choice. I mean it seems like there really isn't anything to gain from that..."

    The girl's tone is musing as she voices the question, though it remains difficult to tell if it's actually directed to Stray or merely speaking her thoughts.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •