New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Knot of Thorns [IC]

Michelle nods, checking the now mold-free door for traps before opening it and investigating what's ahead.

Spoiler
    Show
    Taking 20 on Perception for traps on door before opening it.

2. - Top - End - #512
    Colossus in the Playground

Behind the door is a corridor that extends to the south. As you're looking down it, Blossom comes in from the north chamber.

Spoiler
    Show

The role of Blossom is now played by Cavir.

3. - Top - End - #513
    Firbolg in the Playground

The female orc warrior comes down the stairs, enters the first room, sees the group down the short corridor and walks down to join them. She has all the gear she acquired from the prison, most obviously the clothes, chain shirt on top, longsword on her hip, shield on one arm and dire axe held resting on her shoulder. I'm back. No bodies... so nothing to kill yet? I hope there is something worthy of a fight down here.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

4. - Top - End - #514
    Dwarf in the Playground

"So far just riddles and traps. I mean, I shouldn't, for practicality's sake, but I find myself agreeing with your hope for a fight. Anyway, you probably wanna avoid stepping anywhere Michelle hasn't."

5. - Top - End - #515
    Ettin in the Playground

What type of monsters would even be down here? It would probably have to be something they could bypass and either doesn't eat or doesn't eat often as the staff wouldn't be able to cross the mold. At least the one I asked couldn't. Maybe we get lucky and there is some undead down here.

Chemosh says.

Spoiler: Giant in the Playground Hearthstone Champion
    Show

6. - Top - End - #516

Riddles and traps here. The prison. Our group. Other groups. His House. The kingdom. He's quite the planner. You are right about monsters but I expect there is something more down here than what a good trapfinder can do by themselves.

Blossom takes the hint and starts paying attention to where she is, where she was, and where the others are.
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

7. - Top - End - #517
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Michelle smiles at Blossom as she carefully advances, taking her time to move forward. "Sorry for the slow progress, but given our options I'd rather spend time now being careful than time later healing."

Spoiler
    Show
    Moving to M15, taking 20 each square as I move forward for traps. Total of 40 minutes spent to travel to this location.

8. - Top - End - #518

Michelle finds no traps in the corridor. The only light source here is the ring around her neck. The eastern door, plain wood, bears an inscription that reads, "Know your enemy. Shatter all that blinds you and then burn thy adversary to ashes."

9. - Top - End - #519

As long as we don't run out of of time, take your time. Blossom follows 10-15 feet behind Michelle and sticks to the path that she cleared, ready to help if any surprises occur. Time passes and as Michelle rounds the corner Blossom realizes there is no light to the rear of the party. She lets the others pass her. I can see in the dark. I'll guard the rear. Let me know as if anything is found.

At the rear of the party she sticks to the safe path and quietly goes through her fighting routines, pausing at times to check further behind them and check on what is going on up front.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #520
    Ettin in the Playground

Odd, wonder what is in there. Can someone with magic detection prepared, prepare to cast it while I prepare to cast my undead detection spell. If we don't see anything we cast them and see if that helps. Also we might want a torch prepared just in case this things needs to literally be burned. Chemosh suggests.
    Last edited by Hamste; 2015-09-19 at 04:06 PM.

Show

11. - Top - End - #521
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zlyak nods. "I imagine I have time to prepare that while Michelle checks the door for traps. Do you want me to prep more than one? Or another specific minor spell? If we're burning things in an enclosed area, will we want me to be able to create water to put it out?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Zlyak begins spending 15 mins to prepare a casting of Detect Magic and up to one other Clr0, depending on Chemosh's answer (or anyone else's, I spose).

12. - Top - End - #522
    Ettin in the Playground

I have one prepared, not sure if a few more gallons of water would help putting out a fire unless they are really explosive. Might be useful if I have to keep concentrating though, guess it depends on whether you think that is likely enough for it to be worth it. Chemosh says. All this waiting was a bit grating even though it probably wouldn't be a problem.

Show

13. - Top - End - #523
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Fair enough. One should be plenty."

Spoiler
    Show
    Make that two detect magics then, I guess.

14. - Top - End - #524

Blossom spends a few minutes on her routines while keeping watch. It felt great with her axe in hand again when not long ago she was on death row. Limbered up for a fight, she moves back up to the group and reads the inscription. Something that blocks the light is blinding, just need to find the What. Or maybe it is just this door that is blinding us from our adversary. I can shatter that door if need be.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #525

Michelle opens the door, revealing a dark room; the light from Michelle's necklace pierces the darkness, revealing another square chamber with a black globe of what looks like obsidian on a podium in the center. There are doors to the north and east.
    Spoiler: XP
    Show

450 XP each for getting through the previous chamber.

Map updated.
    Last edited by Kish; 2015-09-23 at 02:15 PM.

16. - Top - End - #526
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zarathustra heads into the room after Michelle. "Shatter what blinds you... I wonder if this globe has anything to do with the darkness in the room?"

He then casts Detect Magic and concentrates on the obsidian globe.

Avatar image: "What Only Exists In The Mind," Jeffrey Smith, www.ascendingstorm.com

17. - Top - End - #527

Spoiler: Zarathustra
    Show
    The globe radiates an aura of faint evocation.

18. - Top - End - #528

"It's definitely some sort of evocation. I can't be sure, but my best bet is that it's responsible for the darkness," he says after a moments concentration.

"Blossom, your axe ought to shatter it easily."

Avatar image: "What Only Exists In The Mind," Jeffrey Smith, www.ascendingstorm.com

19. - Top - End - #529

I can split it if you want. It is obvious and the signs keep warning of deceit. Let's confirm it first? If Michelle hides her ring briefly and my darkvision is of no use we'll know it is magical darkness. Any other ideas before I split it? A globe like that is probably valuable enough to properly equip us.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #530
    Dwarf in the Playground

"We've been expecting to be able to trust the doorway inscriptions so far. And while one could certainly argue against that, we'd lose far more than 'should we really shatter this globe'. Either way, though, we should be ready to 'burn our adversary to ashes' before we break it. Zarathustra, anything else of note in the room?"

21. - Top - End - #531

Anyone have a torch? We could use the lantern in the last room to light it. We should have fire ready first.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #532

Zarathustra scans the rest of the room with detect magic before answering.

23. - Top - End - #533

Spoiler: Zarathustra
    Show
    You detect nothing else.

24. - Top - End - #534
    Ettin in the Playground

Be careful this seems...too easy. Even someone blinded by the spell would have still been able to get to the globe easily. There must be a trap or something in there or the darkness has no point beyond being mildly irritating. Shatter all that blinds you and then burn your adversary. Sounds like there is something in the room other than the orb...something not magical? Something we can't see with this light but will be visible when the orb is broken? Maybe an ooze or an odd form of undead or construct? Chemosh suggests.
    Last edited by Hamste; 2015-09-25 at 01:55 PM.

Show

25. - Top - End - #535

"Very likely. And if the inscriptions are an accurate guide, they will be vulnerable to fire. However, I detect nothing else magical in the room. I suggest we smash the thing now."

26. - Top - End - #536

Then I hope one of you have a fire spell prepared.

Blossom goes up to the globe and gives the globe an exploratory tap with her large axe.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Staying on Michelle's route until I go past her, then using N15 to get to O16. There wasn't mention of the size of the globe so I'm using the tap to get an idea if a one handed strike should do it or if a 2 handed strike is needed. The tap also gives anyone else time to interrupt until Kish responds and to see if anything happens when it gets touched.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #537
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zlyak steels herself and, having no fire spells prepared, readies her shield and mace.

28. - Top - End - #538
    Ettin in the Playground

I will be back in a minute with a torch. Do not break it until I am back. Chemosh says before heading back upstairs and asking a servant for several torches.

Show

29. - Top - End - #539

As Blossom steps into the room, you hear a strange, deep voice sigh, "Life energy to consume." A shadowy hand reaches out of the floor and grabs at her as the voice intones, "Hunger!". The arm retracts back into the floor before anyone can respond.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack: (1d20+3)[6] Critical threat roll, on a 20: (1d20+3)[15]
    Damage: (1d6)[6] Strength damage Critical damage: (1d6)[1] Strength damage

30. - Top - End - #540
    Ettin in the Playground

Just hungry? If you wish we could go upstairs and get something to feed you with. I'm sure no one would care about some servants going missing and we probably can open that other door with out killing you. We may not even have to destroy the orb depending on how the doors work if you like it. That way we both get what we want and no one important has to get hurt. No risk but same reward for you. Chemosh suggests smiling a bit at where the Shadow was. It probably couldn't see him but it was important to put on a good face.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+9)[16] Religion check to recognize the creature. Chemosh is assuming it is undead whether he makes the religion check or not.

(1d20+1)[11] Was my turning check.

Last edited by Hamste; 2015-09-26 at 12:36 PM.

Show