New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: GitP Regulars as Elder Evils!

It's just me and you, Usa-Chan. Everyone else is too busy...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler: Length
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaydos View Post
    Ibnasr, the Dying Thought

The ordering of the Great Wheel was no easy task, even for the gods combining their powers. The Athars of Sigil have long suspected that it was not in fact the Powers as we now know them who crafted the Wheel, or at least not the Powers alone, but a group of entities they call the protogenoi. They postulate that beyond the Powers there exist, or existed, an order of beings which had the power to craft this multiverse, which were they willing could recreate it as they see fit. It is their belief that these protogenoi have long since left the planes and only the smallest traces of them remain. The Athars point to Io, the Ninefold Dragon who divided his power into Bahamut and Tiamat birthing the draconic races, and to the twin Cosmic Serpent as a possible protogenoi, and on occasion whisper that the Lady of Pain herself might be one of these protogenoi. Ao, the overdeity of Realmspace, and the High God of Krynnspace, are also counted amongst these protogenoi whose power far outstrips those of the Powers and who can create and unmake them. (Kno the Planes DC 30)

Some Athars go further, theorizing that the remnants of the protogenoi are more common than even that. They state that the Spire is itself the remnant of a protogenoi, which made itself into the firmament of creation, and that the Seventh Heaven is perhaps the realm of a protogenoi and it is for that reason that not even Powers are allowed to come and go from there. The more outlandish theories even postulate that the great planar pathways, Mount Olympus, Yggdrassil, and the rivers Oceanus and Styx are the physical remains of protogenoi which made themselves into the very essence of the planes. (Kno the Planes DC 35)

In Boccob's library a tome can be found that expounds upon these beliefs further. Written by the slaad scholar Sukbtirieirk who claimed to have gained his knowledge by the consumption of Styx ice from the bottom layer of Acheron. Sukbtirieirk claims to have seen memories of one of the protogenoi in the Styx ice, viewing through its eyes. He speaks of a protogenoi, which he calls Ibnasr a slaad word meaning destroyer and parent, which when the others stepped away from their active roles in the multiverse sought to step in and rule the multiverse absolutely itself. This protogenoi began to create its throne in Pluton, a great throne which stands to this day, enslaving the Evil Powers to its will. It was powerful by the standards of the gods, but weak compared to many of the other protogenoi. Feared by Good and Evil alike, the powers banded together to pull down the protogenoi tyrant. The battle was long and bloody, entire pantheons of new born gods being eradicated by the protogenoi, but in the end the protogenoi was pulled down by the powers and slain by them. Its screams of pain and terror as its children tore it apart still alive became the winds of Pandemonium, its blood flowing across the Lower Planes became the great river Styx which runs its course to this day, its body was pulled and stretched out the rotting god-flesh becoming Oinos, its heart cut away and hidden deep within the Belierin. The protogenoi died, its corpse materializing in the Astral Plane as it died. (Kno the Planes 40)

The strangest tale in the tome, however, is that when the protogenoi's corpse formed in the Astral Plane something yet remained, its last dying thoughts bleeding from its astral tomb. This thought, the last thought of one of the creators of the multiverse, lived on as an eddy of astral energies. The slaad's tale ends here, but he theorizes that it was a thought of vengeance, and pain unable to remember any longer what it was. It was empty, but it would be hungry to learn. And he warned. He warned that it was of the same entity of the Styx, it was born from the mind of one of the architects of evil, of greed. It would learn, but it would learn by taking knowledge and leaving its emptiness in its place. (Kno the Planes 45)

Goals:

Ibnasr is empty and hungry to be filled. It approaches a Prime, forming a massive color pool which leads to that world and then sending through projections and avatars of itself. These projections seek out knowledge and consumes it, their touch absorbing memory and written information. When it has absorbed all knowledge worth gathering from a world it leaves it, civilization set back by generations.

Sign:

Corruption of Thought

Ibnasr was one of the primal sources of Evil and as it presses its mind into the plane hungrily it taints the plane with its evil.

Faint: Evil creatures gain a +2 morale bonus to Wisdom and Charisma based skill checks and Wisdom and Charisma checks, as well as to Will saves.

Moderate: The plane gains the Minor Evil Alignment trait.

Strong: The plane gains the Major Evil Alignment trait.

Overwhelming: Creatures with 3 or higher Intelligence suffer a -4 penalty to Intelligence (this may reduce it to 0; if it reduces their Intelligence to 2 or less they still suffer this effect) and a -5 penalty to Will saves.

Malefic Property:

Hunger for Knowledge

Ibnasr draws knowledge from the surroundings, siphoning it into itself.

Effect: Any creature within the area of effect of this malefic property loses memories each round, losing 1 prepared spell of their highest level, 1 readied maneuvers of their highest level and they cannot ready it again for 10 minutes, 1 feat for 10 minutes, or all ranks in their skill with the highest ranks. They lose these in the order listed (so will lose spells before maneuvers before feats before skill ranks), and at the beginning of its turn as a free action Ibnasr gains 1 of the abilities lost by a creature in the last round.

Traits/Tactics/Etc:

Ibnasr is an incorporeal entity, and does not enter the Prime itself, instead remaining on the other side of the Color Pool sending in lesser aspects of itself to gather information. These entities begin as relatively low powered creatures moving into centers of learning and rending them of information and knowledge. They rely primarily on their innate ability to ignore divination (arcane and divine), and incorporealness to move undetected as they feast upon the accumulated knowledge of libraries. Their hunger will inevitably lead them to seek out wizards' grimoires, ransacking them for information. Ibnasr avoids the Outer Planes and other divinely morphic planes because upon such a plane one of the Powers could kill it. If Ibnasr's Astral self is 'killed' it will reform about a month later and resume its devouring of knowledge, only leaving if a plane is emptied of worthwhile knowledge, or if heroes gather one of a few objects which Ibnasr must fear even when wielded by a mortal. One of these is the Spear of Celestia, a fabled treasure left on the 7th Heaven in the custody of the Tome Archons by one of the protogenoi as a weapon against just the sort of creature Ibnasr has become. Another is a Spireheart, created by the rilmani of the Spire, which can be used to seal the color pool Ibnasr creates and Ibnasr's ability to create one to that Prime, but only within the heart of Ibnasr itself.

...As I've already once mentioned, I know nothing of Elder Evils. That said, I'm very honored you made one for me, Zaydos. Thanks, seriously.

When we get around to PrCs, I'll do my best to make one for ya...

*Reveals himself to be a hologram, and then fizzes out.*
    Last edited by ScrambledBrains; 2015-05-24 at 11:23 PM.
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Zahn View Post
    ...I like your style, Mr.Brains.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren
    Meanwhile, the sorcerer is the HS dropout that ended up debt-free and founding Facebook.
    My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show
    :By Ceika
    :By Akrim.Elf

3. - Top - End - #393
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IZ42 View Post
    Also, why do all of you only want me for my body soul? I have a bunch of discount ones lying around, you can use those instead. It's not like their owners needed them, anyways.
    I'm not really into your soul. I'm just sadistic.
    I'd say monsters over true dragons because it's less restrictive and dragons could come later as something more specialized. PrCs could be fun. But I'd still make one or two, maybe more... just not 13.
    Meh, I'd rather not have all monsters open at once. [/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Wut.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Whose the rabbit?

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

5. - Top - End - #395
    Ogre in the Playground

The Thousand Blades

The magic that is used to infuse many items with power sometimes results in them gaining a mind. Just a basic sentience, in most cases, but often with agendas of their own (Know: Arcana DC 20). What is less commonly known is that it was not always this way, and it all began with the village of Altovilla. What's more, several of the artisans there did not merely have a chance of seeing their works come to life, they could reliably craft such from scratch. (Know: Arcana DC 30)

There is more to this story than most know. In the beginning of it all, there was a hermit craftsman who made blades of astounding quality and mighty magic. Any who heard of him flocked there, and the village more or less sprung up in his support. Though his name is lost to time, the name of his last great weapon, the thousandth in his illustrious career, is not: the greatsword Elric. (Know: Arcana DC 35). Shortly after it was completed, the village was raided by those with more greed than sense, and the great craftsman was slain by his own greatest work in the hands of one of the bandits. That bandit died, and the blade Elric was the only one recovered from the village. (Know: History DC 35). Soon after, it awoke to sentience as the first intelligent item (Know: Arcana DC 40)

It is said that the mind is that of the great hermit, but this is not certain. What is known is that it knew the means by which more of its kind may be made, and it instructed the artisans and craftsmen of the village in the means to do so. (Know: Arcana DC 45). Unknown to them, all intelligent items which passed near would report to it, and this only fueled what would become a burning hatred for nearly all sentient life. They always came back to war and conflict, even when it had no purpose, even when it could only cause pain. Honor was gone in all but the village of Altovilla, as so they must be purged (Know: Arcana DC 50)

Goals:

The greatsword Elric bears a deep hatred for those which slew its maker, but the blade has little concept of the difference between men. It seeks no less than the mass slaughter of all those it sees as being unworthy, which translates to all sentient life not accepted by the Altovillans.

Sign:
    Malign Minds of Mystic Origin
    Elric has a special purpose now, and its power is the ability to speak to, dominate, and control all that arose due to the process he was the first to undergo.

Effects:
    Faint: All intelligent magic items have their Ego scores increase by 3, and try to make their way to the Village of Altovilla at least once annually in order to report to Elric. All such items now act to slay non-Altovillans, providing a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls against sentient creatures if a weapon, or have their save DCs increased by 1 if not. These bonuses are reversed to penalties if used against an Altovillan.
    Moderate: Item Ego scores increase by another 3, and all bonuses and penalties from Faint sign increase by one. All intelligent magic items gain a special purpose (even if they already had one) to bring slaughter to all sentients, telepathy, and the special purpose power to Dominate any sentient being within 100ft once per day with a DC of 10 plus the items Ego and a caster level equal to its Ego.
    Strong: All permanent magic items must make a DC 5 Will save each day or gain basic intelligence. Ego scores of all items increase by another 3, all bonuses and penalties increase to +4/-4, and the items have their special purpose power expanded. The Dominate effect may be used twice per day, and is Extended. In addition, the ability to cast Charm monster three times per day with the same DC is added to the special purpose of the item. All items lose any special purposes they had other than those given by the Signs of the Thousand Blades
    Overwhelming: The save DC that magic items must make to avoid gaining sentience increases to 10. All intelligent magic items gain another 3 ego, and the bonuses and penalties increase to +8/-8. The Charm and Dominate effects are now permanent. In addition, if an intelligent magic item of every body slot is within 50 feet of each other, they tear themselves free and assemble into a body. Treat this as an Altovillan Iron Golem, plus the effects of all items composing it. The golem also has ranks in Spellcraft and one random Craft skill equal to its HD, plus all item creation feats. If Elric is a part of the golem, it is treated as an Adamantine Golem and has all Craft skills in addition to all item creation feats. If destroyed, all components are Disjoined and become nonmagical instantly.

Malefic Property:
    In addition to the normal malefic property common to all Elder Evils, The Thousand Blades has Kingship of the Craft.

Kingship of the Craft: All nonmagical items take one damage, ignoring Hardness, every two rounds if within the radius of this aura. This does not affect items of Altovillan manufacture.

Traits/Tactics/Etc
    Elric is constantly guarded by the strongest beings Dominated by its subservient items. Typically, this will be one grand master of each Martial Tradition plus five Golems if encountered at the Overwhelming stage.
    Last edited by PsyBomb; 2015-05-25 at 07:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire
    Optimization stops being practical and starts being theoretical when your DPR is measured in Tarrasques instead of hit points
    My Guides:
    PsyBomb's Guides to the Akashic Mysteries (Now with all three classes!)
    Fear Itself: the Dread

Extended Signature HERE

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NeoPhoenix0 View Post
    Who's the rabbit?

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Nicely done psybomb. Finally an enemy for a VOP monk.

I do like it.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Titan in the Playground

Bunnies aren't just cute like everybody supposes. They got them hoppy legs and twitchy little noses, and what's with all the carrots? What do they need such good eyesight for anyway?
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

9. - Top - End - #399
    Titan in the Playground

Psybomb, that is so freaking cool.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Bunnies aren't just cute like everybody supposes. They got them hoppy legs and twitchy little noses, and what's with all the carrots? What do they need such good eyesight for anyway?
    I've got a theory!
    A dancing demon!

11. - Top - End - #401
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla View Post
    Nicely done psybomb. Finally an enemy for a VOP monk.

I do like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Psybomb, that is so freaking cool.
    Danke, danke. I basically set out for an excuse to have a platoon of martial grand masters as the boss fight, and the item dominance kinda took over my keyboard... wait a sec...
    Last edited by PsyBomb; 2015-05-25 at 09:02 PM.

Optimization stops being practical and starts being theoretical when your DPR is measured in Tarrasques instead of hit points
    My Guides:

Extended Signature HERE

12. - Top - End - #402
    Titan in the Playground

Like, if I weren't running a plane hopper (and therefore already have an overarching plotline), I would totally drop that in.

As a note, that is by far the scariest Elder Evil boss fight we've had. If I'm not mistaken, that's over 20 grand master initiators. Which I assume means 9ths.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

13. - Top - End - #403
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Like, if I weren't running a plane hopper (and therefore already have an overarching plotline), I would totally drop that in.

As a note, that is by far the scariest Elder Evil boss fight we've had. If I'm not mistaken, that's over 20 grand master initiators. Which I assume means 9ths.
    Oh yeah, and if I was running them they'd have 10 mythic ranks as well.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Ogre in the Playground

Depends on your definitions. They are meant to be level 17, and focused very tightly around one Martial Discipline each. So yes, 9ths, the party is supposed to be level 19-20 at this point, and the grand masters don't count as Altovillan (just the Golems and any locals in the area).

oh, and the fight will only get WORSE as time goes on, and the writers at DSP put out martial disciplines. I thought there were only about 18 so far, though. As a DM, I wouldn't make them face them all at once unless they did something remarkably dumb (like bring an intelligent weapon to the fight)

My Guides:

Extended Signature HERE

15. - Top - End - #405
    Troll in the Playground

Bunny rabbits are cute, and fluffy, and soft, and huggable, and vicious, and murderous, and will bite your head off...

And they need the eyesight because they are apex predators.

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

16. - Top - End - #406
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NeoPhoenix0 View Post
    Bunny rabbits are cute, and fluffy, and soft, and huggable, and vicious, and murderous, and will bite your head off...

And they need the eyesight because they are apex predators.
    Here I was thinking that it was because they eat the leaves not the root (they can eat the root it's just not something they naturally eat much of) and so they can see the heart attack inducing racoons.

Current Projects:

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Troll in the Playground

Here I was thinking that it was because they eat the leaves not the root (they can eat the root it's just not something they naturally eat much of) and so they can see the heart attack inducing racoons.
    Their sharp teeth are clearly meant for the severing of the jugular. They would make awesome pets.

Come on down to your new local NeoPhoenix Chaos Corp. pet store. Now with our specially trained bunnies. They make great pets.

Current avatar by me

18. - Top - End - #408

Kobold

First of all, inb4 Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch (how did it take this long to bring up?)

And secondly, I would harvest many souls for Zaydos to make me a Weasel-Dragon... I'd even go so far as to actually try and make a dragon for some of y'all (and that's saying something, since my creative spark is very limited...)
    Regardless of what happened, I welcome WeaselGuy's Weasel into our little community.
    My Extended Sig!

Weaselguy's Index of Handbooks and Guides (3.x Ed)

19. - Top - End - #409
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WeaselGuy View Post
    First of all, inb4 Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch (how did it take this long to bring up?)
    Because, unless I'm mistaken, we were taking that down a BtVS reference instead of a Holy Grail reference.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

20. - Top - End - #410
    Firbolg in the Playground

This thread has gone some places I didn't expect. This is what I get for not being here for a whole weekend.
    If purple is evil, bold gray is lawful good.

Extended Signature & Homebrew Signature

Check out my Celestial Compendium!

21. - Top - End - #411
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Man I can't even imagine what it'll be like the 5 days I'm gone. Actually, that'd be a good time for you all to get your Archetypes out of your system. So go ahead and start that thread up Thursday and make sure to wrap it up next Tuesday, Kay?

22. - Top - End - #412

Man I can't even imagine what it'll be like the 5 days I'm gone. Actually, that'd be a good time for you all to get your Archetypes out of your system. So go ahead and start that thread up Thursday and make sure to wrap it up next Tuesday, Kay?
    That's probably not too far from possible. These threads seem to be getting short and shorter.

Also, thanks for Sweeping for me while I was gone Zaydos.

23. - Top - End - #413
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WeaselGuy View Post

And secondly, I would harvest many souls for Zaydos to make me a Weasel-Dragon... I'd even go so far as to actually try and make a dragon for some of y'all (and that's saying something, since my creative spark is very limited...)
    I'm be tempted to cheat and make some sort of demi-dragon that wasn't a full true dragon but a smaller cousin with 6 or so age categories. Hopefully end up around medium and weak enough that a paladin could select it as a special mount/the ECL would be under 20.

Because, unless I'm mistaken, we were taking that down a BtVS reference instead of a Holy Grail reference.
    I started Buffy, NeoPhoenix seems to have taken it down a Python avenue immediately, then I was having some sort of BSoD over a dead bunny. The hand grenade was the next probable evolution, but WeaselGuy brought that meta so now I'm dissecting the joke.

Current Projects:

24. - Top - End - #414

Kobold

I'm be tempted to cheat and make some sort of demi-dragon that wasn't a full true dragon but a smaller cousin with 6 or so age categories. Hopefully end up around medium and weak enough that a paladin could select it as a special mount/the ECL would be under 20.
    omg, a Dire Dracoweasel for a Kobold Paladin...

[QUOTE=Zaydos;19306459I started Buffy, NeoPhoenix seems to have taken it down a Python avenue immediately, then I was having some sort of BSoD over a dead bunny. The hand grenade was the next probable evolution, but WeaselGuy brought that meta so now I'm dissecting the joke.[/QUOTE]

Well I mean, you know, someone had to go there.
    Regardless of what happened, I welcome WeaselGuy's Weasel into our little community.
    My Extended Sig!

Weaselguy's Index of Handbooks and Guides (3.x Ed)

25. - Top - End - #415
    Troll in the Playground

I started Buffy, NeoPhoenix seems to have taken it down a Python avenue immediately, then I was having some sort of BSoD over a dead bunny. The hand grenade was the next probable evolution, but WeaselGuy brought that meta so now I'm dissecting the joke.
    To go the Buffy route would require me to watch Buffy. Probably not happening, but I do have other more strange routes to talk about the qualities of lagomorphs.

Current avatar by me

26. - Top - End - #416

BardGuy

Who still needs one? I'll try my hand at one.

Also, what does everyone think of GitP Regulars as Countries/Governments? If we're gonna build a whole campaign setting worth of stuff, we might as well get the geography out of the way.
    See my Extended Signature for my list of silly shenanigans.

Anyone is welcome to use or critique my 3.5 Fighter homebrew: The Vanguard.

I am a Dungeon Master for Hire that creates custom content for people and programs d20 content for the HeroLab character system. Please donate to my Patreon and visit the HeroLab forums.

27. - Top - End - #417

Quote Originally Posted by illyahr View Post
    Who still needs one? I'll try my hand at one.
    I might be mistaken, but I don't think Zaydos has one yet.

Quote Originally Posted by illyahr View Post
    Also, what does everyone think of GitP Regulars as Countries/Governments? If we're gonna build a whole campaign setting worth of stuff, we might as well get the geography out of the way.
    We'd have to do cities, since clearly we are all in the country of Playgroundia.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LoyalPaladin View Post
    You are mistaken. I watched a whole episode of Dr. Who coming up with Zaydos's Elder Evil.

29. - Top - End - #419

BardGuy

We'd have to do cities, since clearly we are all in the country of Playgroundia.
    No, the realm is Playgroundia. We need countries/commonwealths/citystates to fill that realm.

For example: Red Fel is like Thay (3rd edition Thay, not the new stuff)
    See my Extended Signature for my list of silly shenanigans.

Anyone is welcome to use or critique my 3.5 Fighter homebrew: The Vanguard.

I am a Dungeon Master for Hire that creates custom content for people and programs d20 content for the HeroLab character system. Please donate to my Patreon and visit the HeroLab forums.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Titan in the Playground

2 in fact. One is the Ameliorator an makes living things better, the second is the Fable-Wyrm... and I'm not sure if it's supposed to be the DM or not. I am still not an elder evil which spawns horrible and twisted true dragons.

>>
    What EL is 100+ great wyrm dragons?
    Some of them quasi-deities and/or capable of sinking a continent in under a minute?
    <<

You are mistaken. I watched a whole episode of Dr. Who coming up with Zaydos's Elder Evil.
    Mind if I ask which episode?

Current Projects: