A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

mad OOTS #987 - The Discussion Thread

New comic is up.
    Rich Burlew

A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2, the sixth set of monster miniatures for your tabletop game—now including digital tokens to use in your favorite virtual tabletop. Available from Gumroad!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #987 - The Discussion Thread

Oh wow. This does not bode well. I wonder how strong the Vampire really is, or what trick Hel has up her sleeve that would enable one cleric to pull off something dangerous amidst all the strongest clerics of most of the world (and the Order).

Also, left the sombrero on the ship. Classic.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

That closing line was great!
    Quote Originally Posted by BenjCano View Post
    Still putting my nickel down that his plan is to vamp as many clerics as he can in order to convert the faithful en masse to the worship of Hel.
    I still can't see this as plausible: a vampire, even one with a lot of cleric levels, taking on a room full of high-level clerics.

Alternative theory: this is a godsmoot, with high priests or equivalent representatives of all the gods and/or pantheons (apparently, in the world). Maybe Hel just hasn't had a representative to send, before, so she's been shut out of participating?
    Last edited by Stegyre; 2015-05-21 at 05:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by redzimmer View Post
    history's worst MLP cosplay.
    Custom Class

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Ah heh. Cameo. I get it.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

Favored Soul!!! Gotta love non-Core classes showing up in the strip.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So Veldrina actually is a favored soul. Bit surprised to see that formally stated.

And the HPoH needing plausible deniability helps clear up most of the remaining questions about what he wanted here - except, that is, for what he actually plans to do at this "Godsmoot" in the first place. Surely he doesn't intend to take on most of the world's most powerful clerics by himself, but that still leaves a lot of possibilities.

Also, the cameo jokes were truly groanworthy.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

So that's why she seemed so giddy and naive, Favored Souls (are supposed to, but mess of rules means they really don't) run on Charisma, not Wisdom.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh my god that tiger is adorable!

Nice to see a Favoured Soul! Good for all the people who guessed. And nice to have more clarification of Durkula's plan (seems to watch what I've been thinking so far).

Another two good things: 1) V got the item that was needed, yay! and 2) Those two are sticking around a bit long if they're going to be using the ship. Yay!

One down side: the HPoH is getting what he wants. I'm really worried about what will happen next, what with the whole "bring destruction" thing.

I guess only the High Priests were told about the Goodsmoot (or, the representatives of each God), which is why the HPoH knows, but Durkon wouldn't (I guess the High Priest of Odin or something would have been picked for the Dwarven Gods?)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Interesting, I wonder if Hel has some sort of plan to basically cause a Time of Troubles by showing up at the Godmoot? If her high priest has the proper plan and some sort of literal deus ex machina to seal away these good gods, it could be an interesting setup.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

. . . and I totally missed the "cameo" significance.

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    So Veldrina actually is a favored soul. Bit surprised to see that formally stated.
    It has plot significance: it allows Veldrina to be a comparably-high-level character without being able to supply the essential spell Roy needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by redzimmer View Post
    history's worst MLP cosplay.
    Custom Class

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

I'm definitely getting even more curious as to what Hel's Evil Plan is.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

12. - Top - End - #12
    Colossus in the Playground

Count me as another person who loved the cameo jokes. Now to look up the exact crunch on a favored soul. Also count me as another person who isn't quite sure what HPoH is planning with the Godsmoot beyond it not being good.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Huh, looks like those of you betting favored soul were right. Also, liked the nice cameo reference there. I guess that tells us why the High Priest of Hel wanted to find the location of these meeting (though I think that was easily deduced), but know I really want to know why. Excellent strip!

Peelee’s Lotsey

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

I don't quite get the cameo joke, though I also didn't realise that I skipped half the update until I wondered what people were talking about. So thanks.

My 100% original pixelart fantasy webcomic, Hero oh Hero.

Webcomic discussion thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...r-good-reboot)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Frankly im surprised my theory that Hel's plan isn't entirely detrimental to everyone hasn't been shut down yet.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

HPoH's comment about killing everyone in the room made me curious. Would it actually be plausible for him to be able to do that?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Neoriceisgood View Post
    I don't quite get the cameo joke, though I also didn't realise that I skipped half the update until I wondered what people were talking about. So thanks.
    Check out the $5,000 reward for this Kickstarter.

Edit: Also the reason for the two to three years comment by Wrecan.
    Last edited by Jaxzan Proditor; 2015-05-21 at 05:32 PM.

Peelee’s Lotsey

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Cameo doesn't just mean "brief appearance in some piece of media", it's also a type of engraving. Since Vel first mentions a brooch, she's probably referring to that kind of cameo, not the kind that she, in fact, is.

I had to google it too, as I didn't realise cameo had more than one meaning. The line felt pretty weird to me and kind of out of place, so I'm glad people mentioned liking it, or I never would have thought to google it and check if "cameo" had more than one meaning.
    Last edited by Lissou; 2015-05-21 at 05:31 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

She's talking about buying a cameo (a decorative art object). However, in modern terms, she and Wrecan are cameos (brief appearances by "outside" characters in a work of fiction).

Edit: here is a Wikipedia article on cameos in the original sense.
    Last edited by Bulldog Psion; 2015-05-21 at 05:34 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

20. - Top - End - #20

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Lissou View Post
    Cameo doesn't just mean "brief appearance in some piece of media", it's also a type of engraving. Since Vel first mentions a brooch, she's probably referring to that kind of cameo, not the kind that she, in fact, is.

I had to google it too, as I didn't realise cameo had more than one meaning. The line felt pretty weird to me and kind of out of place, so I'm glad people mentioned liking it, or I never would have thought to google it and check if "cameo" had more than one meaning.

Okay so that's the joke, it can mean "a nice brooch" but it can also refer to the kickstarter award.

Now I get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Psion View Post
    She's talking about buying a cameo (a decorative art object). However, in modern terms, she and Wrecan are cameos (brief appearances by "outside" characters in a work of fiction).
    Yeah I figured they were a cameo of some sorts, cause the designs are different and slightly more complicated (especially Wrecan) from how Rich designs characters himself.

I just never paid attention to the kickstarter so didn't quite "get" where the cameos came from.
    Last edited by Neoriceisgood; 2015-05-21 at 05:36 PM.

My 100% original pixelart fantasy webcomic, Hero oh Hero.

Webcomic discussion thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...r-good-reboot)

21. - Top - End - #21
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

FAVORED SOUL!

I actually called something correctly!

Avert your eyes, folks, I'm going to perform my happy dance, and I have negative 15 ranks in perform (dance).
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Awesome new tiger style.

So, at least it makes sense that HPoH would try this way to get Roy where he wanted. Still, i wonder what else is up to.
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

I Am A: Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

23. - Top - End - #23

My suspicion is that Durkula is going to show up there, and then, and only then, openly reveal what he actually is. I suspect that at the actual Godmoot, the clerics of the various gods are banned from harming each other by the same pact that keeps them from fighting over the various parts of the world. So if Durkula can actually get to the meeting, he'll be able to interfere and be protected by the God's own laws.
    Prince Fraternal of Pudding, Snuzzlepal, Feezy Squeez Lover, MP, Member of The Most Noble And Ancient Order Of St. George, King of Gae Parabolae.

Lego Ergo Sum

"Everyone's cute if you just look at them the right way"~Rebekah Patton Durham, Princess of Pudding.

"If they have stats, we can kill them... I'd like to point out that we also have stats..." ~ PhoenixGuard09.

Warhammer 40K: Where the faction that is a cross between the Inquisition and Space Nazis are the good guys.

24. - Top - End - #24

You know, I think that HPoH is overestimating himself in handling the people in the room. Roy has a good will save, and his sword is very good against the undead. And with Wrecan and Veldrina around, its quite likely that the three of them can send him back to his mistress.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Nice enough - he could likely have lied to Roy about it though, Roy wouldn't know everything Durkon knows (unless Durkon specifically mentioned not knowing this I suppose).

26. - Top - End - #26
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Why the HPoH needed an excuse of knowing there/where is a meeting of high priests?
    He is one of the high clerics! he can just say he got a sending from his church to come there.
    Last edited by With a box; 2015-05-21 at 05:48 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

SamuraiGuy

So what Hel wants is for her high priest to show up at the Godsmoot at Zenith Mountain in the Pinnacle Peaks (is the actual site going to be the Apex Room of the Acme Inn?) and do ... something.

And HPoH thinks he could kill Roy + Veldrina + Wrecan, without knowing levels on the latter two. Not to mention a tiger.

A vampire adds a +8 LA. That makes Durkon a 23rd or 24th level character, versus 3 15 or 16s.

He may be overconfident, or just counting on the advantage of surprise.

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

28. - Top - End - #28

Loving the cameo joke, too.

And Zenith Peak joins Wooden Forest and Sunken Valley on the list of redundant place names.
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club

29. - Top - End - #29

SamuraiGuy

BTW, HPoH's smile in panel #9 would be a dead give away (you should pardon the expression) to Roy - if he was looking, and if he could SEE when he looked.

The final line is, I'm afraid, perfect.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    So what Hel wants is for her high priest to show up at the Godsmoot at Zenith Mountain in the Pinnacle Peaks (is the actual site going to be the Apex Room of the Acme Inn?) and do ... something.

And HPoH thinks he could kill Roy + Veldrina + Wrecan, without knowing levels on the latter two. Not to mention a tiger.

A vampire adds a +8 LA. That makes Durkon a 23rd or 24th level character, versus 3 15 or 16s.

He may be overconfident, or just counting on the advantage of surprise.
    actually, the CR adjustment it +2
    so, 14+2=CR 16
    party.
    roy: 15
    Veldrina: least 15(due to spontanous caster get 7th spell)
    Wrath: if you treat him as cohort of veldrina, least 13
    as the resolt of encounter calc, its very diffical encounter for party. 13.6 vs 16
    but if its only encounter of this day, party will win.