Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default So....could Vamp Durkon take on the whole room?

IN comic 987, Durkon mentions the possiblity of murdering the whole room if anybody can cast resurrection, so my question is.....could he have done it? Obviously we don't know the levels of our newest friends here, but the favored souls is at least high enough level to cast resurrection, so at bare minimum that is level 14. I don't know what the other guy is, but he looks to be a ranger, maybe a Druid, since the tiger i'm guessing his his animal companion. He has a shield over his shoulder, so I am thinking not a druid, but he didn't offer to help with resurrection, so not a cleric. I mean he might just be a fighter with a pet tiger. Regardless, I doubt he is any higher level than his compion, so lets slot him down as level 13, since she seems special. And then we have Roy, whose lever is uncertain but does have a +5 undead bane greatsword. Even assuming Vamp Durkon gets a surprise round, could he actually have taken on the entire room? Obviously the rest of Oots aren't around to help, but Roy is quite tough. Against them is a vampire, who if Class Geekery could be believed is at least level 14 cleric, and a vampire, so that is regeneration, lots of hit points, domination ability, and as far as I know haven't used any cleric spells yet. But still, that sounds like an uneven fight.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: So....could Vamp Durkon take on the whole room?

Durkon knows Roy and his weaknesses maybe better than everyone else. Which means HPoH most likely knows them. He knows that if the Order is ever turning against him, taking out Roy is one of the top priorities (V is another I'd say), so it's not unreasonable to assume he has a spell prepared to exploit that weakness - whatever it is - and take Roy out of the equation in one round.

As for the others, I don't know

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Considering how Roy's sword is extra effective against undead, and Roy is at least his level before the vampire modifier, and this pink haired favored soul is capable of 9th level spells... I'd have to vote for no I doubt he could kill them all if he went "mua-ha roll initiative!" If he's clever and subtle he could do almost anything though.
    Check out my home grown, dwarf spanking excuse of a comic! http://www.bucketheadcomic.com/

"I'm just keeping out the riffraff."
    "You mean dwarves."
    "Precisely."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

First off, I don't think Wrecan is the "owner" of Little Whiskers. Based off the dialogue, I think it belongs to Veldrina. I also think they are both fairly powerful, based on the fact that A) She is a high preistess and B) She represents the combines western and elven pantheons. And if she is that powerful, and has a bodyguard, that bodyguard is at least as powerful (in different ways) or more powerful than she is (even it it might only be in common sense ).

Between them and Roy, it would be a hard fight for the HPoH. He might be underestimating them some. I might be overestimating them some. We also do not know all of his abilities as a vampire, which could affect the outcome. I do think he wrote them off too easily, since, if he killed Roy, it would cause a lot of other problems for him, and he doesn't know much about his potential opponents.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Buckethead View Post
    Considering how Roy's sword is extra effective against undead, and Roy is at least his level before the vampire modifier, and this pink haired favored soul is capable of 9th level spells... I'd have to vote for no I doubt he could kill them all if he went "mua-ha roll initiative!" If he's clever and subtle he could do almost anything though.
    wait she knows 9th level spells?

As to the fight.

Well the HPoH would have hte suprrise round, since he could act before everybody else could, but I don't know what spell he could have which could take Roy out in a single round (anybody have any ideas? Something a level 14-16 cleric could pull off). As a vampire he has dominate, energy drain, bite, shapechange, creatures of the night, and regeneration I believe.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CowardlyPaladin View Post
    wait she knows 9th level spells?

As to the fight.

Well the HPoH would have hte suprrise round, since he could act before everybody else could, but I don't know what spell he could have which could take Roy out in a single round (anybody have any ideas? Something a level 14-16 cleric could pull off). As a vampire he has dominate, energy drain, bite, shapechange, creatures of the night, and regeneration I believe.
    Dominate would be a way to take Roy out in one round, despite Durkon's belief that Roy could resist it.

Regardless, I think he is observing that it would be necessary to make the attempt more than claiming it would be a relatively risk free endeavor. He's talking a gamble, and it usually hurts when you lose them. I doubt he's so unaware as to be ignorant of that.
    Last edited by Kornaki; 2015-05-21 at 08:15 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

High-level Clerics have any number of spells to kill the opposition.

Just off the top of my head:

1) Destruction (Fort save, not good against Roy)
    2) Hold Monster (possibly, not likely Lawful)
    3) Harm + Quickened Spell (Malack cheese works just as well here)
    4) Slay Living

That's not counting the Vampiric Dominate ability, or whatever else may be in that Staff.

Interesting, though, that Durkula almost certainly has Cure spells and Lesser Restorations prepared, just to maintain the Masquerade. (Pun intended.) While he can spontaneously cast Inflict spells with those slots, beyond healing himself, it's not likely to do a whole lot.

Out of curiosity, has anyone considered that maybe the tiger IS Tiger, or the High Priest of Tiger (South Continent God)?

Anyway, if Wrecan is a Ranger, and the tiger's his Animal Companion, I don't think that Durkula would win. Each of them (except Roy) has two good saves, and it's unlikely that Durkula has a spell that can get rid of all of them at once.

8. - Top - End - #8

Well Roy does have a very high wisdom, so I don't think dominate would be possible. However the Harm plus quicked inflict, that could get ride of Roy in a round I admit, and two spells down. Though since he has a good will, Roy might be able to make the save for half damage. Hold Person might work against the elf through, so a Harm, and if it didn't work, quickened Hold Person.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Well Roy does have a very high wisdom, so I don't think dominate would be possible.
    He wouldn't start with Roy, he's his ally, he'd start attempting to dominate one of the others, and keep trying until successful, once successful make them try to actually kill him (but failing by an inch, "I was just pretending I didn't care! He's a vampire we must kill him!"), if they noticed the attempt, they would try to kill him anyway, so you know the outcome in advance, he'd just need to watch his words so they made sense to Roy so he doesn't turn on him. Once accusations are over and the fight breaks out Roy will be forced to join on Durkula's side. Only once you have the battle in your favor you backstab Roy.

10. - Top - End - #10

Probably not in a straight fight but he might be counting on surprise and mind games.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

Resurrection is not a ninth level spell. Veldrina said she's capable of casting seventh-level spells, not ninth-level ones.

The High Priest of Hel "not likely Lawful"? Really?
    Last edited by Kish; 2015-05-21 at 11:32 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The really unforgivable acts are committed by calm men in beautiful green silk rooms, who deal death wholesale, by the shipload, without lust, or anger, or desire, or any redeeming emotion to excuse them but cold fear of some pretended future. But the crimes they hope to prevent in the future are imaginary. The ones they commit in the present--they are real." --Aral Vorkosigan

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

12. - Top - End - #12

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Resurrection is not a ninth level spell. Veldrina said she's capable of casting seventh-level spells, not ninth-level ones.

The High Priest of Hel "not likely Lawful"? Really?
    I assumed the poster meant the law domain which does have hold monster. But that is a bit weird as i thought vampires did not have access to the law domain anyway

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Well Roy does have a very high wisdom, so I don't think dominate would be possible. However the Harm plus quicked inflict, that could get ride of Roy in a round I admit, and two spells down. Though since he has a good will, Roy might be able to make the save for half damage. Hold Person might work against the elf through, so a Harm, and if it didn't work, quickened Hold Person.
    I won't comment on the odds on a story level, but going by the mechanics I'd say it's more probable he'd fall than not (50%+). And Dominate woul not only take Roy from the fact, it'd make him be on the HPoH's side, making it a 2v2.

Edit: With the HPoH as a 14th level Cleric (low estimate) with 12 cha (lowish estimate), Roy as a 15th to 17th level Fighter needs a +3 wis mod (high-ish estimate) to have a 50% chance of making the save.
    Last edited by Gray Mage; 2015-05-22 at 12:38 AM.

Ignotus Peverell avatar made by the great Bradakhan.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Durkula has a much higher Charisma than that. In addition to needing the bluff checks, I'm pretty sure Vampires get a racial bonus to it. It is, after all, their replacement for Con.

But, on the other side of the coin, Roy seems the type to invest in things like Iron Will and the like. And we know he's got very high overall stats: Int on par with Suvie, high Wisdom score (only one with a decent spot check, to boot), good Con/Strength. If he has a dump stat, it might be Dex.

So he's probably got a surprisingly good Will Save.

Hold Person wouldn't work on the elf, iirc. Pretty sure they're immune to Paralysis in 3.5. But it's been a while, so I might be wrong.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Thrair View Post
    Hold Person wouldn't work on the elf, iirc. Pretty sure they're immune to Paralysis in 3.5. But it's been a while, so I might be wrong.
    Only from ghoul's paralysis, see here

16. - Top - End - #16

AssassinGuy

Whatever the second step would be, the first one should be blaspemy. While it is unlikely to outright kill anyone here, its enough to disable everyone for at least a round and possibly longer.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

I'd say he'd have a good chance at it. Damage reduction, Domination, and all the abilities of a maybe 15th-level cleric is a pretty powerful package all told, especially when he gets total surprise on everyone present; and even if the battle goes badly for him he can just go gaseous and fly out the door. We also don't know exactly what abilities the favoured soul has; we know she's not a cleric and also can't cast all cleric spells, so she's not going to be as dangerous as a full-blown cleric her level would be.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I think that the High Priest of Hel has a pretty good chance at it. He is a relatively high-level Cleric after all. It is kind of hard to judge without knowing the power level of Wrecan, though.

Peelee’s Lotsey

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, Veldrina doesn't seem to have extrodinarially high Wisdom (especially since it's a secondary stat for her class), so you Dominate her first, then you have 2 "Clerics" (and probably a tiger, although his fighting ability is in question) against two melee users? No contest.
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2015-05-22 at 11:27 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    Well, Veldrina doesn't seem to have extrodinarially high Wisdom (especially since it's a secondary stat for her class), so you Dominate her first, then you have 2 "Clerics" (and probably a tiger, although his fighting ability is in question) against two melee users? No contest.
    Actualy, she almost certantly has a better Will save than Roy, as her class has a good will save progression, and that is without counting any wis mod she may have (even with a small penalty she could have a better Will save than Roy).

Ignotus Peverell avatar made by the great Bradakhan.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Spamalot in the Playground

Could he? Sure, but it depends on a lot of factors - the spells he prepared, who he attacks first, what spell or ability he leads with, the good characters' defenses (saves, hit points, touch AC, gear etc.) Certainly he would get the drop on them and could possibly even win, but I doubt it would be nearly as easy as Darkon is making it sound.

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Quote Originally Posted by gogogome View Post
    Cheers to Psyren the MVP "naysayer".
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Mage View Post
    Actualy, she almost certantly has a better Will save than Roy, as her class has a good will save progression, and that is without counting any wis mod she may have (even with a small penalty she could have a better Will save than Roy).
    That is very true, totally forgot about her huge Will save.

I still think it's possible, but it's gonna be hard.

23. - Top - End - #23

With the possible exception of Tiger man, I don't think Durkon can easily dominate people with his vampire ability, (Roy is mentioned by Durkon as having the ability to resist) but Blasphemy +Harm, and then in the following Round.....I don't know actually, any ideas? Because the High Priest is going to want to inflict as much damage as possible in the opening round, and Blasphemy will buy him an extra round, and if he wins initiative (unlikely) he can do even more damage. So he has 4 actions to debilitate the party so Slay living maybe?

I mean he also could just touch the elf lady and drain her highest level spells

24. - Top - End - #24
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

especially when he gets total surprise on everyone present;
    Wrecan is already suspicious; I don't think he'd be surprised at all if Durkula suddenly attacked.

He's going to need some way to stun everyone in the room for as many rounds as possible. The problem is I'm pretty sure that Wrecan and his charge are both at least as high level as Roy is; whichever one you take out first, the other two are going to prove an extremely difficult challenge.

Following the golden rule of "Geek the mage first", I'd attack Veldrina and drain her as far as I could, then start on Roy. If Veldrina possesses Heal, that is the most dangerous threat in the room.

The problem is, being double-teamed by Roy and Wrecan will be challenging to say the least, especially if Wrecan has a wand or two tucked away. I suspect we're going to need to go gaseous and do some guerrilla warfare in the hopes of taking them out , one at a time.

I'd say the odds are about 3-1 against Durkula pulling it off, but if his cover is blown he will have no choice but to try.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

even if one of the fighters get dominated, protection from evil will take care of it.
    on the other hand, without armor veldrina seems quite squishy, so if the warriors get dominated, she won't survive long enough to use it.
    also, roy has the feat that lets him attack a caster even if he's casting defensively. and in a close situation, without a mean of avoiding an attack of opportunity, a caster may actually be at a disadvantage.
    So i would say that the most important factor is whether roy will make his saving throw against domination.

All things considered, I'd say it could go either way. it wouldd of course be a huge risk for durkula to try it, but there would have been no other way to keep the cover if veldrina had the power of casting resurrection.
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gia View Post
    He wouldn't start with Roy, he's his ally, he'd start attempting to dominate one of the others, and keep trying until successful, once successful make them try to actually kill him (but failing by an inch, "I was just pretending I didn't care! He's a vampire we must kill him!"), if they noticed the attempt
    You always know if you succeed at a will save. If they resist domination, they know the attempt was made.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thrair View Post
    Durkula has a much higher Charisma than that. In addition to needing the bluff checks, I'm pretty sure Vampires get a racial bonus to it. It is, after all, their replacement for Con.
    They get a racial +4, Durkon has low charisma and dwarves in general have a -2 penalty. HPoH having 12-13 charisma strikes me as overwhelmingly likely, class and level geekery says <14 for the vampire form, which also gives a +1 Cha mod as the maximum.

28. - Top - End - #28

Well ok, if I was the Priest of Hel, who would I deem the greatest threat.

Elf Girl can possibly cast heal, that can't be tolerated.

Roy has that greatsword

Wrecen is an unknown

Tiger can be regenerated.

So........Blasphemy+level drain the Favored Soul 1st round, second round would be, another level drain and maybe slay living? What else could he do to take them out.

A hit and run tactic would be disastrous for the Priest, because then the rest of the order could get involved.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Considering the Giant's approach towards the minitua of D&D rules, I'd consider Durkon's belief that Roy wouldn't be easily dominated by Malack to be more important than mechanical considerations.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gulaghar and Purple Eagle.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Don't forget that Roy's immediate reaction to "sure, I can revive him" would be to pull out his sword and say "Hold still, Durkon", as he's under the (accurate) impression that that's what Durkon wants (although he is also under the inaccurate impression that Durkon is in control of his body), which would greatly reduce the viability of a surprise attack - Roy would already have sword in hand and mentally preparing to drive it into a close friend.