A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Rein of Madness [IC]

You have heard rumors about Ever Rain that something wasnít right there anymore. Normally this was a small little village tucked away along the edge of a nameless forest often just called Ever Rain Forest. It was most famous for the quiet the village had and the fact it an asylum for those who needed rest to restore their mentality. Now, at least according the rumors, the village turned hostile to outsiders and refuses to let anyone in. Some even say they build a wall around the village to keep outsiders out. As time went on even darker rumors surfaced, telling of never-ending darkness and strange holes in the sky like reality itself was being torn apart.

Spoiler: Bladicorn
    Show
    You heard the rumors of your birth town, but didnít pay a lot of heed to it. Ever Rain always have had it quirks but they used to keep it hidden from outsiders. Then again a lot of time had passed since you had left. However recently you got a letter from your Uncle, Fishmonger. The letter was short and in it your uncle only said he found a favorite toy of yours and wanted to give back. An odd letter by itself, but when you turned the parchment it had a far more foreboding message. Scribbled in hasty writing, it repeated the same phrase a dozen times or more.
    ďYou must return!Ē

Spoiler: The Rest
    Show
    You are part of a small group of elite soldiers among the Queenís men. The rumors of Ever Rain didnít concern you much until you got a direct order of the Queen herself. She had send a small group of loyal ponies to check out the village and see what of the rumors were true. They were ordered only to scout and report back their findings, they were forbidden from acting and interfering, especially when it seemed dangerous. Yet so far there had been no response and the Queens worries. So she decided to send the you, the elite group. Your orders are simple, check out the village, find the missing troops and report back to the queen. Beyond that she trust you so you are free to handle on your own in case itís needed.
    ďBut do send out some intel before you do anything dangerous.Ē

As you journey closer to Ever Rain the skies get more cloudy and dull, but certainly not the kind of dark you heard in the rumors. In fact the name Ever Rain sounds like a village that is always draped in clouds. Then after a few more days you finally see the village, or what you presume the location of the village is. Because all you see from this distance is a giant stone wall. When you get closer you realize this wall isnít made by any hoof or paw, it doesnít consist out of bricks or pieces. Itís just a giant block of stone, like it was risen up from the earth itself.

Near the wall you can see two camps set up. One is camp still being set up by a group of three ponies and an unicorn. In the middle of the camp stands a single white flag with a broken weapon on it. The other camp is clearly a military camp of the Queen her troops. Her symbol of the Blessed Wings emblazons the banners, the tents and even a few flags. Judging from the condition the camp hasnít been abandoned too long, perhaps a week or two.
    Proudly addicted to pointing out where exactly rules can be found.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

What effects allow a saving throw?
    List of almost all 3.5 skills.
    Old PF Initiative Build

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Rein of Madness [IC]

Flamestrike looks upon the abandoned camp "Hmm... looks like they up'n left." He turns to look at the other camp and barks in a low gruff tone. "You there! Give me the low down on what happened to the group that was makin' camp here." He squints his eyes and adds "Let's just be clear that I don' tolerate lyin'." Flamestrike wasn't the type to toss around his weight, but he had a job to do and by his experience, these sort of situations created liars.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    And so it begins...
    Intimidate
    (1d20+12)[19]
    I am unclear how to work this dice roller...
    If purple is evil, bold gray is lawful good.

Extended Signature & Homebrew Signature

Check out my Celestial Compendium!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

"I really don't like the feel of this. What the heck could have happened to that camp, and where did that wall come from? Too easy to fall into a trap out here, we need to be ready for anything"

Each other pony in the party feels a gentle tap in the back of their minds, as Entero requests to be let in to tie together the Collective

Show
    If you are going to reject entry into the collective, please let me know either by RP or in OOC. Otherwise, I'll assume you are tied into the net. Going to Spoiler any telepathic communication, unless everyone is in.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire
    Optimization stops being practical and starts being theoretical when your DPR is measured in Tarrasques instead of hit points
    My Guides:
    PsyBomb's Guides to the Akashic Mysteries (Now with all three classes!)
    Fear Itself: the Dread

Extended Signature HERE

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

My uncle's note is worthy of concern. Mental illness runs in the family; both of my parents were confined in the asylum when I was younger, due to their schizophrenic tendencies. He may just be having an episode, but he didn't show any symptoms when I lived in Ever Rain, and with the rumors concerning my hometown, I can't dismiss any plea for help. I had intended to go about my journey alone, but there was another group traveling ahead of me. Unfortunately, there is a wall here that I do not remember. I could try to find a way around it, but I would rather have more information first.

The other group is now trying to intimidate some locals. This could start an incident that will distract from the matter at hand. Of course, I do not know if they recognize me. If they know that I am that Bladicorn it could cause trouble. But what about my fellow townsfolk? Will they recognize me as the child I was, or the monster the crown has labeled me as?

"Now, now. That's no way to speak to a citizen," I say, in my usual cheery voice as I approach the unicorn and her fellow ponies. "Now, can you help me around this wall?"

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Bladie doesn't know who you are.
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2015-05-25 at 04:25 PM.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

The group of ponies look startled by Flamestrike and exchange a quick word with each other before the Unicorn of the group steps forwards. She is a silver gray pony with puffy blond hair and a equally puffy mane. "We don't know, we just arrived here this morning." She tries to compose herself herself, but there is a faint stutter in her words. "We were already discussing whether we should report this before we continue on. But we honestly don't know anything more! We haven't even entered the camp."
    As Bladicorn makes her entrance one of the Earth Ponies, a purple one with well trimmed gray hair, including a mustache, behind the unicorn shouts. "Sorry ma'am, we aren't locals, we are Seekers. But I bet I know more of Ever Rain then most of the citizens." The other two ponies get a worried look on their faces and the Unicorn sighs. "Getting past this wall is easy, I already have a lot of ideas. Did you know Ever Rain was build on some sort of ancient ruins? I bet it must be some kind of palace, or perhaps a whole city. The ground here is filled with tunnels and I know for a fact at least one goes straight into the city. Two problems though. I don't know where the tunnel starts, but I do know it ends inside the Asylum. Most likely it has been blocked off to prevent the sick from leaving unattended. Another way would be to fly in, we didn't bring a Pegasus with us, so we couldn't test that one out."

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

6. - Top - End - #6

Flamestrike feels the prod in the back of his mind as Entero requests permission to link up. While he wasn't fond of people in his head, he had been with a vitalist before, and they proved to be invaluable. He grants permission.

"If you say so." Flamestrike grunts and lets out a dry heat from his nostrils. "We can get past these walls no problem. The queen's forces aren't stopped so easily." He turns to look at Bladicorn and squints a little. Did he know her? All those unicorns looked alike. "Who are you, stranger?"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Normal text is for actions Windchaser takes. Green is stuff he says.

Windchaser gladly lets Entero place him in the collective.

"Did somebody say they needed a pegasus? I'm a pegasus!"

He'll fly up such that he's just above and just outside the wall (he will not go over or inside the perimeter of the wall just yet, he's seen his share of proximity traps) and take a look at whatever's visible on the inside.

Show
    How high is the wall?
    Perception
    [roll0]

ETA: let's try that roll again. Haven't used the forum dice before today.

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+19[/roll]

ETA2: Okay, this is terribly confusing. "[roll]1d20+19[/roll]" worked in the dice roller test thread but isn't working here. We could go with the result in that post or someone else could roll for me in this thread and tell me what I did wrong, whichever Yanisa prefers.
    Last edited by Extra Anchovies; 2015-05-26 at 03:32 PM.
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

"Caves? No, I'm afraid I wouldn't know anything about that." I stand slight taller. My blue mane blows slightly in the wind. It matches my eyes, and compliment my white fur. It's important to understand what you look like. Sometimes you can't trust an unconscious response to know something. The mind has a nasty habit on playing tricks in its owner.

"I'm Mindful, a traveler. My friends call me Mindy. Mindy with the bindi, that's me!"
    I smile, and gesture to the gold and blue bindi jewelry I was wearing with my hoof. "I heard rumors about this town, and I thought I would investigate." This is all a lie, of course. What these ponies don't know can't hurt them, and stirring up trouble isn't what I'm here to do. It's unfortunate that they don't have more information. Finding the tunnel in the asylum, however unpleasant revisiting that place would be, is probably the best option. Even if it sealed off, I at least has a landmark to work off of. It's such a specific rumor, it's more likely to be true.
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: let's try this again
    Show
    Reposting my perception check.
    (1d20+19)[26]
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Show
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

"Earth Pony, psychic communication is, how should I put this... inefficient. Either use your voice or stop being a distinct entity." Ultrapony looks upon the situation with cold and stoic eyes. "Something about this place seems... wrong. We should tread lightly. It would be an issue if any of you died before things were settled." He spoke with an unnaturally even cadence that was unnerving.
    Spoiler
    Show
    DA here.

11. - Top - End - #11

Flamestrike's eyes roll slightly at the newest unicorn to join the conversation. "Wonderful. Mind tellin' me what yer doin' round these parts, sparkles?" He turns his muzzle so that Windchaser can hear him. "Hey Flyboy! Whaddaya see?" While his group of soldiers was relatively efficient, he had to strain to keep enough patience to deal with so many big personalties. He liked that Ultrapony fella though, a good no nonsense pony.
    Last edited by LoyalPaladin; 2015-05-27 at 12:09 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

The gray featureless wall stands about 10 feet tall, about the same height of the average tree here, although there aren't any trees very close to the wall.

Spoiler: Windchaser
    Show
    Inside the walls all you can see is mist, thick grey mist that seemingly hides everything inside. The wall itself seems about 4th thick and is there is nothing on it. The top is also rather uneven and unpolished, so it doesn't function like any city wall you can stand on. At times you can almost see shapes of roofs in the mist, but before your eyes can focus the swirly mist hides the buildings again.
    You also notice there is a strange air current slowly going inwards, almost like the city is trying to pull you in. But the pull isn't that strong and doesn't take a lot of effort to negate.

Meanwhile the purple Earth Pony hasn't stopped talking, although it doesn't seem he is saying anything useful or relevant anymore. He is talking about how expensive Pegasus are, how hard it is to find ponies in general, how hard getting funds is and even how hard it was to start this whole expedition, each time adding that only has cleverness in one way or another saved the day. The other ponies beside him try to get him quiet by making various hoofsigns but so far he doesn't get the clue. The silver gray Unicorn looks unsure and hesitant, but finally finds some sort of courage and states: "I am sorry about Professor Janus, once he starts... He never ends. I am Silver Quill by the way. The other two are Pathseeker and Lilyroot."

___

Old PF Initiative Build

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yanisa View Post
    The gray featureless wall stands about 10 feet tall, about the same height of the average tree here, although there aren't any trees very close to the wall.

Inside the walls all you can see is mist, thick grey mist that seemingly hides everything inside. The wall itself seems about 4th thick and is there is nothing on it. The top is also rather uneven and unpolished, so it doesn't function like any city wall you can stand on. At times you can almost see shapes of roofs in the mist, but before your eyes can focus the swirly mist hides the buildings again.
    You also notice there is a strange air current slowly going inwards, almost like the city is trying to pull you in. But the pull isn't that strong and doesn't take a lot of effort to negate.
    Do the buildings go above the wall, are they all less than 10 feet high, or is the ground level inside the wall lower than it is outside?

To help compensate for the fog, Windchaser will move a point of essence from Stalker's Tabit to Eyes of the Hawkguard (arrangement is now 3 in each of Eyes of the Hawkguard and Sentinel's Helm, with 2 in Stalker's Tabi). His normal vision range is now increased by a total of 40 feet. That may not help pierce the fog, but it's probably worth noting.

Quote Originally Posted by LoyalPaladin View Post
    "Hey Flyboy! Whaddaya see?"
    "Not much, sir. The whole town looks like it's covered in heavy fog. A bit of a wind up here, too; probably magical, it feels like it's trying to pull me inside."

He tries to land on the wall, but it doesn't work.

"Wo-o-oah! The top of this wall's not too stable, so I don't think we'll be able to climb over. Looks like that tunnel's our best bet."

Show
    I have a nickname! Yay!
    Last edited by Extra Anchovies; 2015-05-27 at 01:05 PM.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Show
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

"A pleasure!" I hold my hoof out for the traditional hoof bump. I hope none of them take the offer. It's bad enough I was hiking through dirt for several days. Maybe I would not have to deal with the extra pathogens from other ponies. I should have packed more alcohol and moist towelettes to disinfect my hoofs. I ran out yesterday. If I catch a cold or the flu I have no idea what would happen to this investigate, and I don't want to let my uncle down.
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2015-05-27 at 02:02 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Flamestrike bumps his paw against "Mindy"'s hoof with a grunt, then looks to the sky. "Y'better get down from there then Flyboy. Don't getch yerself sucked in. I don't wanna have to bust down this wall to come after you!" Truth be told, Flamestrike was soft for all his fellow military personnel. This Pegasus had spunk and a touch of youthful whimsy, he'd like to keep that in tact. "Entero, it's lookin' like we're gonna be hittin' the mud, you need any time to prepare?"

Show
    I'm assuming Flamestrike will be our front line. But will he be taking on a CO position? I don't want to assume anything.

Haha. EA, Flamestrike may be gruff, but he likes his squadmates.

Flamestrike is entering the Golden Commander Stance from the Golden Lion Discipline.
    • All allies within 30 ft. of your position may gain flanking if they are adjacent to an ally when engaged in melee.
    Last edited by LoyalPaladin; 2015-05-27 at 02:00 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Windchaser lands with the others.

Quote Originally Posted by LoyalPaladin View Post
    "Entero, it's lookin' like we're gonna be hittin' the mud, you need any time to prepare?"
    "Yeah. I suppose if I were strong enough I could lift everyone over the wall one by one, but brawn isn't exactly my specialty.

I heard one of you talking about the tunnel going to the Asylum. Any one of you know where exactly that place is? If we're gonna have to search for this tunnel we might as well start as close to its endpoint as possible."
    Last edited by Extra Anchovies; 2015-05-27 at 02:23 PM.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Show
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

@Windchaser

There isn't a single building sticking out of the mist, which seems odd, but you don't know enough about Ever Rain so it could just as well be normal. Looking at the city is like looking at a pool filled with mist.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yanisa View Post
    @Windchaser

There isn't a single building sticking out of the mist, which seems odd, but you don't know enough about Ever Rain so it could just as well be normal. Looking at the city is like looking at a pool filled with mist.
    How very odd. Do any of the NPCs present (or any of the PCs *cough* Bladicorn) have anything to say regarding my asking about the Asylum's location within the city?
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Show
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Chovies
    Show
    Well, first of all that's an OoC post in the IC thread.

"I happen to know where the asylum is."
    I say, flatly. I am unhappy with the prospect of returning there.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Entero begins to concentrate a bit on the net...

Spoiler: NETWORK
    Show
    "Thanks for letting me in to assist, sir. I am already set, what I do doesn't last for very long so I save it for when trouble is right about to hit. Call out over the net at any time and I can respond before the echoes fade"

Out loud, he looks over at the abrasive mech. His look is unamused. "The Network is for much more than just speech, Ultra. If you want to receive the HUD when trouble strikes or let me give you shields and speed to keep up with your saner comrades, just say so. Out loud, if you insist."

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire
    Optimization stops being practical and starts being theoretical when your DPR is measured in Tarrasques instead of hit points
    My Guides:
    PsyBomb's Guides to the Akashic Mysteries (Now with all three classes!)
    Fear Itself: the Dread

Extended Signature HERE

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

A psionic network? That sounds interesting. I abhor that sort of thing. The less people know about me, the better. Besides, I doubt most ponies would be interested in my involved internal meditations. I've heard that they do not tend to think as often or as quickly as I do. A lot of the subjects I think about are not popular with the ordinary equine, too. I have a terrible Utilitarian and Consequentialist streak that would make most of them foam at the mouth. Still, I'd best express interest. If I am going to play dumb, I had better do it right.

"Oh, you can communicate telepathically? Fascinating,"
    I say to Entero. I smile again. Also, I make sure to blink a few times to show off my eyelashes. Perfect. Oh, wait, no... that didn't come off too forced, did it? I hope he doesn't notice.

While contemplating controlling what should be automatic and suggestive blinking, I catch a glimpse of my shadow. It takes all of my willpower not to shudder. It's been there for quite sometime. Has it been as long as I remember, or has it found it's way into memories past? Even bearing aware of its presence, it's not a pleasant sight and often catches me off guard. I wonder why. Is it the constant, modifying form?

22. - Top - End - #22

Spoiler: Network
    Show
    "Awright Entero, I'll keep that in mind. Let's work hard and keep mental communication to a minimum. Keep'n eye on the curious unicorn, she seems a little more informed than them other ponies."

Flamestrike looks unamused at his squad's bickering. "Stow it, you two. Entero's got a valid point Ultra, link up and shape up. Entero, please don't poke the bear." He switches his attention to 'Mindy' "You know how to get to the asylum, Sparkles?"
    Last edited by LoyalPaladin; 2015-05-29 at 09:12 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

I nod. "From inside the city, I do. The problem is that it looks like this wall extends around the whole area. We'll likely have to find a tunnel on the outside to get into it. The good news is that I know that the asylum is to the west side of the city, so if we search there, our odds are better."

24. - Top - End - #24

"Alright." Flamestrike turns to the rest of the squad. "Looks like we're gonna be headin' inta enemy territory, I've commandeered this here unicorn as a guide. Let's ride."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

"You've commandeered me? That's no way to ask a lady and a unicorn on a date, even if you're just looking for a 'ride'." I say haughtily, squinting my eyes.

I love military types like this. They get so commanding in situations they have no control over. I'm always one to play the gadfly, but barring a suitably intelligent audience, intentionally misconstruing orders is an endless source of entertainment.

I technically don't need the assistance of these ponies, and the wolf, but a few pony shields never hurt anyone. Well, it hurts the shields, but I think I'm a little too important to allow myself to get killed while making a simple visit to assist my uncle.
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2015-05-29 at 12:19 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

Flamestrike lets his fangs show in a wicked grin. "You heard right, Sparkles. Commandeered. You seemed awful curious about this runna-the-mill town. I'm bankin' you want in jus' about as bad as we do."
    Show
    "I reckon we don't need no guide, but it'd sure as heck be nice to have one."

Flamestrike motions towards Windchaser. "Flyboy here is a top-o-the-line explorer, so we could get along no problem." Flamestrike lets out a goading laugh. "I reckon you're one'a them prissy pony types that don't wanna get dirty. If yer thinkin' its too much fer ya, we can leave ya here." Flamestrike isn't lying or bluffing, he'd trudge through hell or high water to complete his mission, guide or not.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

"I'm not one to avoid getting dirt, but if you're going to do what you want with me, at least make it quick." I make another agitated expression. "It's not like I could stop a group of strong guys like you. I thought this kind of behavior went out when they added the Third Amendment."

Oh, I pray to the Singer that there is no dirt. I could get melioidosis.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

"I'm not one to avoid getting dirt, but if you're going to do what you want with me, at least make it quick." I make another agitated expression. "It's not like I could stop a group of strong guys like you. I thought this kind of behavior went out when they added the Third Amendment."
    "Now listen here, miss. I don't like what you're insinuatin'. I - we - don't mean you any harm at all. We're here to get into Ever Rain, and you're presumably here for the same thing, so we might as well stick together as long as it's convenient. There's strength in numbers, and who knows what's been going on in there since the wall went up?"
    Last edited by Extra Anchovies; 2015-05-29 at 01:30 PM.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Show
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29

Show
    "Hook, line, 'n sinker."

Flamestrike grins at Mindy's statement, 'make it quick' meant she gave consent. "Entero, hook 'er up to the network."

Flamestrike notes Windchaser's distaste for the unicorn's words. "Don't ruffle your feathers, Flyboy. Someponies like playin' the victim. It don't mean much."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

The group set up and goes westwards, following the wall, leaving the group of Seekers behind. The more westwards you go, the further the shadows of the wall fall on the land. Like a looming giant it slowly seems to conquer more and more land in it's wake. After a brief walk you reach the point the shadows almost reach the edge of the forest and the sun is completely hidden by the wall. But even without those signs the group just feels they are as close as they could be to the asylum without being inside the wall. Even though the wall is imposing, the asylum has a presence through the wall. Bladicorn can confirm the asylum should be on the other side of the wall.

Everypony notices it is eerily quiet, there is no sound of birds in the trees, no buzzing insects, not even the wind blowing through the leaves.

Show
    Everyone roll a Perception check

___

Old PF Initiative Build