New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Difficult Names to Pronounce (And their correct pronunciations)

It seems to me that for a usually-spoken medium such as tabletop/pen and paper roleplaying games, we sure have a lot of unpronounceable names. Such as sahuagin. How does one pronounce that? Feel free to add any other terms from DnD/Pathfinder that you don't know how to pronounce, and correct pronunciations for previous ones on the list.

On a tangentially related note, how many people intentionally mispronounce daemon "day-mon" or something similar, just to be able to distinguish them from their chaotic counterparts?
    "For it is in passing that we achieve immortality" - Pyrrha Nikos

Quote Originally Posted by Stu42 View Post
    I used to like called shots. Then I took an arrow to the knee.
    Arvak Avatar by Dirtytabs

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Difficult Names to Pronounce (And their correct pronunciations)

Wizards put out a (somewhat) helpful guide, which can be found under here under "How do you pronounce...?"

According to them, sahuagin is sah-HWAH-gin, but I don't know if that's a soft or hard g.
    Last edited by sakuuya; 2015-05-30 at 01:30 PM.
    Contest Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ayesha: Gold, Junkyard Wars I
    The Last Warder: Silver, Junkyard Wars IV
    Princess Pufflebutt: Silver, Junkyard Wars VII
    Gren Beastclaws: Silver, Junkyard Wars VIII
    Mother Halfbreed: Silver, Iron Chef Home Cooking I

Vathoa Frostspeaker Kualavoaka: Gold, Junkyard Wars IX
    Sanna Blackfish: Bronze, Villainous Competition II
    Annabelle: Gold, Villainous Competition IV
    Nulara of the Evil Eye: Gold, Villainous Competition IX

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by sakuuya View Post
    Wizards put out a (somewhat) helpful guide, which can be found under here under "How do you pronounce...?"

According to them, sahuagin is sah-HWAH-gin, but I don't know if that's a soft or hard g.
    its a hard G. Also, I pronounce Daemon as Day-mon, as opposed to Dee-mon for Demon.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    its a hard G. Also, I pronounce Daemon as Day-mon, as opposed to Dee-mon for Demon.
    Butchering words from other languages is indeed a long-standing part of the English speaking cultural legacy. That, and I don't want people confused if they meet a daemon because they will assume a demon.

Forgotten Realms has the Iyachtu Xvim character, which I often pronounce as 'Bob' to make things easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maquise View Post
    It seems to me that for a usually-spoken medium such as tabletop/pen and paper roleplaying games, we sure have a lot of unpronounceable names. Such as sahuagin. How does one pronounce that? Feel free to add any other terms from DnD/Pathfinder that you don't know how to pronounce, and correct pronunciations for previous ones on the list.

On a tangentially related note, how many people intentionally mispronounce daemon "day-mon" or something similar, just to be able to distinguish them from their chaotic counterparts?
    Mispronounce... eh. Just because I may choose Latin over English pronounciations doesn't mean it's wrong.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Butchering words from other languages is indeed a long-standing part of the English speaking cultural legacy. That, and I don't want people confused if they meet a daemon because they will assume a demon.

Forgotten Realms has the Iyachtu Xvim character, which I often pronounce as 'Bob' to make things easier.
    I see you Xvim and raise you Lord Bob.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

First off, I have a tendency to use Mandarin for names, as I have a rough idea of how to pronounce it and others can get the gist quickly.

Secondly, I say daemon as day-mon and demon as de-mon (with the long e), due to thatbeing how I was taught and a good identifier as to which. I even use daymon in Warhammer, where demon is the official pronunciation.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

That, and I don't want people confused if they meet a daemon because they will assume a demon.
    I do the same for worm and wyrm (why-erm). That's an even bigger difference xD
    Last edited by goto124; 2015-05-31 at 02:02 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I see you Xvim and raise you Lord Bob.
    I concede to Lord Dijonmustardmon. Was Sony just trying to **** with players or something?

The worm/wyrm thing makes sense, through I fear my players are too dragon happy for this to work on them.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

I concede to Lord Dijonmustardmon. Was Sony just trying to **** with players or something?

The worm/wyrm thing makes sense, through I fear my players are too dragon happy for this to work on them.
    Reminds me. What's the thought on Wyld? I've heard some pronounce it like 'wild', others like 'weird', or is it another pronunciation?

For names in general, I had one game where we couldn't remember the name of an NPC after vising a few houses to investigate stuff, so I called him Dude H rather than bother.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    Reminds me. What's the thought on Wyld? I've heard some pronounce it like 'wild', others like 'weird', or is it another pronunciation?
    I say 'wild' because y and i normally sound similar. Never heard anything else used.

I've encountered more problems with wyrm, having heard both 'worm' and 'wir-uhm' used.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Odd one: grognard is a French word (meaning "grumbler," and implying an old military veteran, esp. one who complains a lot) and actually sounds like someone saying "groaner" with a heavy French accent, "grow-narr" or "grow-ńarr." I still pronounce it "grog-nard" anyway because it sounds funnier.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JAL_1138 View Post
    Odd one: grognard is a French word (meaning "grumbler," and implying an old military veteran, esp. one who complains a lot) and actually sounds like someone saying "groaner" with a heavy French accent, "grow-narr" or "grow-ńarr." I still pronounce it "grog-nard" anyway because it sounds funnier.
    I pronounce it that way, but that is because as an American it is my patriotic duty to not understand how French works. Also, I find it confusing.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

as an American it is my patriotic duty to not understand how French works
    Damn straight.

My grasp of the French language is limited to Wiktionary-ing that word, anything on the label of a bottle of booze, a few things to do with fine Chapuis rifles and shotguns I can't possibly afford because I could buy a decent low-mileage used car instead if I had that kind of money, a few pieces from Monty Python skits, a few philosophers' names, and a few types of food.

Edit: I also learned how to say "hello," "please," "thank you," "where is the restroom," "where is the American Embassy," "please take me to the American Embassy," "I don't speak French," "I need to call the American Embassy," and "here is my wallet, please do not stab me" for when I went over there, but I've forgotten most of it.
    Last edited by JAL_1138; 2015-06-02 at 05:03 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

My first big exposure to "ae" in orthography was through Latin, and I was trained to use classical pronunciations (always hard C, V sounds like W, etc.), so I'm always inclined to pronounce it like "aye," making it die-mun. But I recognize that's not popular.
    Last edited by VoxRationis; 2015-06-02 at 07:07 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Huh. I used to pronounce Sahuagin as SAW-hah-gwin until I looked at it a bit closer. Now I use SAW-wah-jin. And DAY-mon for daemon. Yes, even in Warhammer 40k.

So how do you say "Otyugh"?
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Oht-yug, I would imagine.

I wish I had the IPA on this keyboard.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Huh. I used to pronounce Sahuagin as SAW-hah-gwin until I looked at it a bit closer. Now I use SAW-wah-jin. And DAY-mon for daemon. Yes, even in Warhammer 40k.

I generally go for either O-T-Yug or O-Th-Yug.

Sahuagin is Sa-Wagh-in.

Daemon is odd. When it's clearly used as a substitute for demon, (as in Warhammer 40k) I pronounce it as such. If it's clear it's something different (such as D&D's neutral-evil fiends, or Phillip Pullmans animal soul companions from the Golden Compass) than I call it a Day-mon. (This is largely to reduce confusion, since in D&D demons and daemons are different creatures, and because I hate confusing people when I describe His Dark Materials (even though I'm pretty sure Pullman intentionally used the demon pronunciation considering his attitude towards religion.)
    Avatar based on artwork by Jabari Weathers

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post

Well it's a stab in the dark, but the Final Fantasy series has a similar monster whose name is romanised as "Ochu"...
    "Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Ftagn!" said the cultist.
    "Oh bother," said Pooh.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

That's probably because Japanese has no 'tu' or 'tyu' sound. It has 'つ' and 'ちゅ', the latter of which is best said 'chu'.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I say 'wild' because y and i normally sound similar. Never heard anything else used.

I've encountered more problems with wyrm, having heard both 'worm' and 'wir-uhm' used.
    I believe that the conventional pronunciation of both is as "worm".

However, this is a linguistic development that's resulted in an odd shift in that pattern of words: both "warm" and "worm" have changed their pronunciations. By the vowels, you'd expect "worm" to rhyme with "form" and "warm" to rhyme with "farm", and indeed these were, broadly speaking, the original pronunciations. At some point, they shifted so that "worm" started to be pronounced to rhyme with "firm" and "warm" to rhyme with "form".

In some dialects the three words are still pronounced differently, but in most, "worm" and "wyrm" are now pretty much aurally indistinguishable.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    I believe that the conventional pronunciation of both is as "worm".

However, this is a linguistic development that's resulted in an odd shift in that pattern of words: both "warm" and "worm" have changed their pronunciations. By the vowels, you'd expect "worm" to rhyme with "form" and "warm" to rhyme with "farm", and indeed these were, broadly speaking, the original pronunciations. At some point, they shifted so that "worm" started to be pronounced to rhyme with "firm" and "warm" to rhyme with "form".

In some dialects the three words are still pronounced differently, but in most, "worm" and "wyrm" are now pretty much aurally indistinguishable.
    Wyrm is another weird one for me. For some reason I make a conscious effort to pronounce it in a way that sounds almost exactly the same. I always emphasize the -er- sound in the middle, kind of like Whirl with an M replacing the L. Of course I realize that the regular pronunciation sounds so similar they might as well be identical, but for some reason I can mentally tell the difference between the two so I consider it important enough to distinguish the two. (mostly because it feels like most wyrms would resent being called worms.)
    Avatar based on artwork by Jabari Weathers

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ravian View Post
    (mostly because it feels like most wyrms would resent being called worms.)
    Fairies and faeries?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post
    Fairies and faeries?
    You know, most authors I know of go with one or the other unless they refer to radically different things, in which case context will let you know which is which.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravian View Post
    Wyrm is another weird one for me. For some reason I make a conscious effort to pronounce it in a way that sounds almost exactly the same. I always emphasize the -er- sound in the middle, kind of like Whirl with an M replacing the L. Of course I realize that the regular pronunciation sounds so similar they might as well be identical, but for some reason I can mentally tell the difference between the two so I consider it important enough to distinguish the two. (mostly because it feels like most wyrms would resent being called worms.)
    I personally use a different tone, worm is flat and wyrm descends. Whirm would just sound like you're stressing the w, so I'd distinguish butlikely not instantly (I have enough chinese friends that I'm used to hearing odd stress).

Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post
    Fairies and faeries?
    Both are pronounced fair folk

Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground

I only pronounce daemon as daymon when playing D&D because daemon and demon are two different things there. They really did themselves a disservice there.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GungHo View Post
    I only pronounce daemon as daymon when playing D&D because daemon and demon are two different things there. They really did themselves a disservice there.
    D&D daemons are completely different from mythological daemons (which is different from demons although I'd believe that they share a root). I use daemon to remind people that the word doesn't mean demon.

In a game I was in we played members of the daemonhunter organisation, where we worked as demonhunters hunting demons, daemon was intentionally used to a) give something that allowed us to differentiate ourselves from our government funded counterparts and b) so it was clear if something referred to the organisation or profession. This only worked because, in setting, daemons had been proved to not exist.

Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Warhammer 40k daemons- are they closer to DnD demons or DnD daemons?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Otyugh - OH-tee-ug.
    Daemon - I say DAY-mun, even though I actually speak a little Latin and know it ought to be DYE-monn. Not sure why, to be honest.
    Sahuagin - sa-HWA-gin, with a hard "g"

Also, I don't speak French, but I was under the impression that "grognard" is pronounced "GRAWN-yar."

How about Aarakocra? I pronounce it "AIR-ah-KO-krah," but I have no idea if that is correct.
    Honor guard at the funeral in the Miko Fan Club.

Those who are too stupid to run, I salute you.

Human Male, age 35

"Have you come to lecture me on my evil ways?"

"Actually, I brought you some supper. But if you'd prefer a lecture, I've a few very catchy ones prepped; sin and hellfire... one has lepers."

- Inara and Book, Firefly

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Daemon I usually pronounce "day-mun". Sahuagin I pronounce "Sah-WAH-gin". Otyugh I pronounce "OT-you" so that it rhymes with "NOT-hugh" - I tend to think of -gh as having a soft, aspirated, sound. Wyrm and worm I pronounce roughly the same way. I have no idea how to pronounce Achaierai, so I usually refer to them as Giant Hell Chickens.