Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default half-elf/half-orc

OK, if both elves and orcs can interbreed with humans, they should be able to interbreed with each other, too. So, what would a half-elf/half-orc be like? I'm thinking both stats and appearance, here.

Oh, and by the way, the elf half is high elf.
    Last edited by Ettina; 2015-06-01 at 02:14 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: half-elf/half-orc

That logic doesn't actually work.

Anyway, I believe the third party book Bastards and Bloodlines has rules for this sort of thing.

3. - Top - End - #3

This might interest you. I'd personally consider giving them everything Half elves gets with darkvision instead of low light plus the elven and half orc ability score adjustments (maybe without the one of the stat penalties to, any of them could work depending one which aspects of each race you think is more dominant.). As for age/size stuff, I'd probably decrease the half elf age categories by 5-10 years and give them that and use human numbers for height and weight.
    Last edited by frogglesmash; 2015-06-01 at 02:29 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ettina View Post
    OK, if both elves and orcs can interbreed with humans, they should be able to interbreed with each other, too.
    That's not necessarily true, because infertility is not a transitive relation. For what we know, elves, human and orcs could form ring species.

EDIT: And that's assuming that half-orcs and half-elves are in fact fertile, which while I think is true I don't know whether or not is a thing or not.
    Last edited by Uncle Pine; 2015-06-01 at 02:28 PM.
    Extended signature here. Contains: 2 avatars, 3 quotes, a doggo and his friends.

Kitchen Crashers: an adventure building Iron Chef - First edition running 20/04/18-18/05/18.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Pine View Post
    EDIT: And that's assuming that half-orcs and half-elves are in fact fertile, which while I think is true I don't know whether or not is a thing or not.
    Why would they need to be fertile?

Anyway, there's a flaw called Quarter Elf, so half-elves are probably fertile.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

the default is for half-species to be fertile. Specially in Forgotten Realms Canon there's tons specific of examples, including that Dwarves can interbreed with most things (but most commonly Gnomes or Humans) but always are considered dwarves from a crunch standpoint, with some minor visual differences (Half-human Dwarves are taller, Half Gnome Dwarves are slimmer)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Why would they need to be fertile?

Anyway, there's a flaw called Quarter Elf, so half-elves are probably fertile.
    Because the easiest way to tell if two individuals (one male and one female) are of the same species is to see whether or not they produce fertile offspring. Granted, it's not a foolproof method to draw the line, but then again we currently don't have a foolproof definicion of "species".
    I'm also not completely sure that the flaw you cited is official material because I've never heard of the site it's hosted on, but what's crucial is that even if E (elves) can breed with H (humans) and H can breed with O (Orcs) it doesn't mean that E can breed with O. So no half-elf orcs or half-orc elves.

EDIT: I don't want to look obnoxious, but this
    Quote Originally Posted by Sian View Post
    the default is for half-species to be fertile. Specially in Forgotten Realms Canon there's tons specific of examples, including that Dwarves can interbreed with most things (but most commonly Gnomes or Humans) but always are considered dwarves from a crunch standpoint, with some minor visual differences (Half-human Dwarves are taller, Half Gnome Dwarves are slimmer)
    probably needs a [citation needed] tag.
    Last edited by Uncle Pine; 2015-06-01 at 03:04 PM.
    Extended signature here. Contains: 2 avatars, 3 quotes, a doggo and his friends.

Kitchen Crashers: an adventure building Iron Chef - First edition running 20/04/18-18/05/18.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

If memory serves, Elves and Orcs explicitly cannot breed with one another, in part due to the enmity between their respective patron deities.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by frogglesmash View Post
    This might interest you.
    Wow, that is really stupid cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    If memory serves, Elves and Orcs explicitly cannot breed with one another, in part due to the enmity between their respective patron deities.
    Oh, that would be interesting!
    If purple is evil, bold gray is lawful good.

Extended Signature & Homebrew Signature

Check out my Celestial Compendium!

10. - Top - End - #10

The offspring of an elf and an orc is either a half-elf or a half-orc. The other half doesn't have to be human - the important part is that the progeny displays partial traits of only one race.

11. - Top - End - #11

I'm also not completely sure that the flaw you cited is official material because I've never heard of the site it's hosted on,
    The site cites it as Dragon Magazine content, though it doesn't say what issue.

Edit: Dragon #328
    Last edited by ComaVision; 2015-06-01 at 03:16 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ComaVision View Post
    The site cites it as Dragon Magazine content, though it doesn't say what issue.

Edit: Dragon #328
    Thanks. I remembered a Dragon issue with racial flaws, but couldn't track it down.
    Last edited by Uncle Pine; 2015-06-01 at 03:25 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Kingdoms of Kalamar (in Dangerous Denizens: The Monsters of Tellene and Friend & Foe: The Elves and Bugbears of Tellene) mentioned Half-Orc/Half-Elf: Tel-Amhothlan - +2 Dex, -2 Int, -2 Cha; Low-Light Vision; +1 racial bonus on saving throws against enchantment spells and effects; +1 racial bonus on Listen, Search and Spot checks
    Last edited by ShurikVch; 2015-06-01 at 03:54 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

RedSorcererGirl

Post Re: half-elf/half-orc

The way I treat it, to avoid all kinds of mixed species of various percentages, is that only Human, Half Elf, Elf, Half Orc, and Orc need to exist. Couplings will result in a half breed race if one exists, otherwise it's an infertile combination. Half breeds can breed with each other, although breeding with either parent race will result in that parent race (the 3/4 influence dominates the 1/4 influence). For example:

Human + Elf = Half Elf (half breed race exists)
    Half Elf + Half Elf = Half Elf (half breeds can breed with each other)
    Human + Half Elf = Human (more human influence so human dominates like a dominant gene)
    Elf + Half Elf = Elf (more elf influence so elf dominates like a dominant gene)

(Replace Elf with Orc above, to get Human/Orc/Half Orc combinations. Half Dragon, Tiefling, and so on work the same way.)

Orc + Elf = Doesn't conceive (half breed race doesn't exist, at least not in Core)
    Half Orc + Half Elf = Doesn't conceive (half breed race doesn't exist)
    Tiefling + Aasimar = Human (special case of good and its opposite evil cancelling out)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

EDIT: I don't want to look obnoxious, but this

probably needs a [citation needed] tag.
    Dwarves Deep, 2nd AD&D, FR11

Happy?

Actually, IIRC theres also mention of at least one Dwelf (Dwarf/Elf) in ... Elminster in Myth Drannor i believe it was ...
    Last edited by Sian; 2015-06-01 at 05:25 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sian View Post
    Dwarves Deep, 2nd AD&D, FR11

Happy?

Actually, IIRC theres also mention of at least one Dwelf (Dwarf/Elf) in ... Elminster in Myth Drannor i believe it was ...
    Honestly? Yes. Even though this means that I'll have to dig up the source one of these days, because I don't have it on hand.

17. - Top - End - #17

Because the easiest way to tell if two individuals (one male and one female) are of the same species is to see whether or not they produce fertile offspring. Granted, it's not a foolproof method to draw the line, but then again we currently don't have a foolproof definicion of "species".
    But my argument works just as well if the hybrids are infertile. Horse/donkey, horse/zebra and zebra/donkey crosses all produce healthy but infertile offspring. I can't think of any real-life example where species X produces viable offspring with both species Y and species Z, but Y and Z don't produce viable offspring with each other. Fertile or not is irrelevant.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

But my argument works just as well if the hybrids are infertile. Horse/donkey, horse/zebra and zebra/donkey crosses all produce healthy but infertile offspring. I can't think of any real-life example where species X produces viable offspring with both species Y and species Z, but Y and Z don't produce viable offspring with each other. Fertile or not is irrelevant.
    I know it's Wikipedia, but this might interest you. The concept of ring species is entirely based on the fact that X breeds with Y and Z, but Y and Z can't breed.

19. - Top - End - #19

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

I read somewhere (don't remember exact source) - half-elves are fertile:
    half-elf + elf = elf,
    half-elf + human = human,
    half-elf + half-elf = half-elf, but more human-like than parents

The only sterile crossbreed "race" I'm aware of is Mul from Dark Sun

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    Wouldn't a half-elf/half-orc be a Fork?
    This is now canon.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    Wouldn't a half-elf/half-orc be a Fork?
    LOL
    Seriously though, maybe an Erc? Or an Olf? All of the combinations are two ridiculous to contemplate.

Do you mind if I sig this?
    Last edited by Elandris Kajar; 2015-06-01 at 06:58 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Elandris Kajar View Post
    LOL
    Seriously though, maybe an Erc? Or an Olf? All of the combinations are two ridiculous to contemplate.

Do you mind if I sig this?
    Go ahead. I actually think it's a Spanish variant: EL FORK!

EDIT: No, no, I got it. They're actually residents of our world. The half-elf/half-orc can only be the noble elk.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by frogglesmash View Post
    This might interest you. I'd personally consider giving them everything Half elves gets with darkvision instead of low light plus the elven and half orc ability score adjustments (maybe without the one of the stat penalties to, any of them could work depending one which aspects of each race you think is more dominant.). As for age/size stuff, I'd probably decrease the half elf age categories by 5-10 years and give them that and use human numbers for height and weight.
    I would love to see a conversion of the Voldur for Pathfinder, using the Path of War material in place of Tome of Battle.
    Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.
    - G. K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Are you some sort of Wizard?
    This is Æl-Ceald, an ice-age fantasy campaign setting. Updated!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EisenKreutzer View Post
    I would love to see a conversion of the Voldur for Pathfinder, using the Path of War material in place of Tome of Battle.
    Replace "Steel Wind" in the Steel Wind racial ability with another 1st level "maneuver" (or the PoW equivalent of maneuvers) taken from PoW: conversion complete.