A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default [LS] The Black Gates (Interstice)

The Black Gates (Interstice) - The Acropolis; 'The Black Heights'
    Arc: 0 - The Last Light

The air was filled with a smothering smog. It was humid and sickly, clinging to both skin and cloths. Breathing through the unpleasant air was a choir in itself, yet, the broken and abandoned stonework and shattered marble tile-work of what was perhaps once an acropolis made the terrain treacherous and difficult to cross. It was a hazard simply walking, let alone running through this ruinous place without risking slipping and falling to the slick jagged ground.

The chamber which they stood was a blackened, burned gazebo of stone, reaching up 40 ft before rounding off into a shattered ceiling which the gloomy light skulked into. There was no walls providing them cover, only four pillars of black stone holding the crumbling structure in place. An endless fog roiled out behind them as if nothing existed beyond that point. However, before them loomed the menacing marble structures of a once hollowed ground, cloaked in a deep and vile smelling miasma. Burning flesh, sulfur and the lingering stench of decay filled their lungs. It was almost nauseating, lingering only made the feeling grow. Trudging forth through the ankle deep sludge that was the dirt, and broken stone and tile revealed a long foreboding path before them. Broken, rusted, unlit lanterns occasionally dotted the scene before them. A small gathering of strange raven's flapped about, black mist roiling from their wings, they possessed no features, as if made of living shadow. Within the mist, in the distance. Movement could be seen occasionally. In every and all directions. A flash of white cloth. The shadow of something lurking about. The eerie rattle of stone beneath a clawed hand. The place was filled with death and decay, and with each passing moment the miasma that filled the place became more-and-more unbearable. It would not do to stay in such a place longer then needed, that was certain.

Spoiler: Treacherous Footing
    Show
    The ground is filled with jagged stone, pools of sludge and grime, in addition to being difficult to traverse by foot; If moving by foot, the creature cannot move above half speed, or they must succeed a DC12 Reflex Save. If failed, the movement is negated, and the creature must make a DC10 Acrobatics check. If failed, the creature falls prone to the ground.

Spoiler: The Miasma
    Show
    After exposure to the sickening miasma, the creature begins to loose their tolerance to the disgusting-life-stealing mists; After the first minute of exposure, the creature must succeed a DC5 Fortitude Save. If failed, the creature, ceases all actions and begins vomiting for a full-round. The DC to resist the Miasma increases by 3.

After every minute of exposure to the Miasma the DC for resisting the miasma increases by 1; This effect may be negated by covering ones nose and mouth with any type of fabric to avoid direct exposure.

Repeated failures to the Miasma lead to progressively exasperating results:
    1.) Vomiting - Skip Round (DC+3)
    2.) Status: Nauseated (DC+2)
    3.) Status: Fatigued (DC+2)
    4.) Status: Exhausted (DC+2)
    5.) Status: Stunned 1 minute (DC+2)
    6.) Status: Confused/Insanity 1 minute (DC+2)
    7.) Condition: Random Ally within Line of Sight must be attacked/1 minute (DC+2)
    8.) Condition: All allies are considered hostile, and must be attacked/2 minutes (DC+2)
    9.) Condition: Allies must be Attacked. Allies struck receive a -2 Penalty to resist Miasma (DC+2)
    10.) Condition: All creatures are hostile. Alignment becomes CE. Attacks apply -4 Penalty to resist Miasma

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [LS] The Black Gates (Interstice)

Lu'naus'Fel

Lacking in any fabric with which to defend against the foul mists, the twin souls that comprise Luna instead just do their best to cover their mouth and nose with one hand while holding the other out to Nadia as they attempt to take off, preferring to float through the air than walk on the jagged ground in bare feet, and, knowing that she's better equipped for dealing with this sort of situation, Eris lets Kestal take over. "Come on," she says quickly, though it's muffled by her hand, "We shouldn't stay here longer than we have to, we need to move, now, and get out of this place!"

Where to go, where to go...

Spoiler
    Show

Perception checks

[roll]1d20+5[/roll]
    [roll]1d20-1[/roll]
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Nadia Vorns, the Reborn Drake

Nadia wings rapidly flare out, lifting her up into the air.
    I agree, that foul mist is unlikely to do much good for our health.
    Subconsciously, she touches the armband that the Lord Raven had given her. He had been her guide in this place, and without him, she worried that they may be lost here.

She looks her lover in the eye.
    My love, I want you to promise me something. Should the Lady Arias find that I have become too dangerous, and makes the decision to end my being, do not hold it against her.
    Last edited by Keledrath; 2015-06-03 at 09:01 PM.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Lu'naus'Fel

Looking curiously at Nadia, Luna can't help but tilt their head, "Sweetheart, if it ever comes to that, we'll just find another way." Though the effect is lost with her mouth covering her hand, Luna purses her lips, "Honestly, do you know who I am? 'Resourceful' is my middle name!"

"Now...where in the Abyss do we go?"

"Ladies, you realize that we don't need our lips to talk, don't you?"

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Nadia shakes her head.
    No. If your Mother makes that decision, I am gone. I don't think she would be so rash as to act when I could still be saved.
    She sighs mentally.
    I wish there were some way to control this thing without needing to sacrifice everything I am...

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Lu'naus'Fel

"Who says there isn't? While we might have been a special case," picking up without even the slightest pause, "Because I was always here even if I didn't have a body or way to control ours, save for when she was using the Root." Eris resumes, "But why not be the same as us? We are us, why not create a Dual Soul for the Weaver and you?"

"Though I might be able to help more if I knew exactly what you are and what that meant...I'm afraid I'm out of my depth here, though I hope we can find useful information at The Citadel."

Actually, how long has it been since we got here? Everything has been chaos and death and destruction since we left Golarion until we got to The Garden. It might be nearing time to perform my rituals again.

I wonder what will happen now, since I'm free to take control of the body even without the drug.
    Well, we'll see, won't we? Though, not here.

While they search the area, Kestal sends another telepathic message, this time to Nadia alone. "If there's time, we could use you when we reach The Citadel. My other half's worried that we might be nearing the time she needs to perform her little ritual. Technically it can be done with just the one body, but...where's the fun in that?"
    Last edited by Desril; 2015-06-03 at 09:27 PM.

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Nadia seems surprised.
    Is that even possible? Didn't the two of you like, break reality in the process?

In response to Kestal's thought, Nadia replies
    Ritual?
    Last edited by Keledrath; 2015-06-04 at 06:00 PM.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Lu'naus'Fel

Shrugging, "There were mitigating circumstances with us. The thing that 'broke reality' as you put it would have been my 'birth'," Kestal butts in to steal the line.

Are we really going to do this?

I have to have my fun somehow,
    Kestal responds silently to her other half with an invisible grin.

"But remember, The End split us apart as an afterthought, and Mother had no trouble in turning us into a True Dual Soul. The only difficulty should be in getting the, well, other soul to turn into the Weaver. Though I can't imagine it will be difficult, for Mother or Death, or that 'Grey' person. The hard part is in getting a Good soul, one like you, who, in spite of any differences you might have, you could work together with."

Picking up the conversation, Kestal continues, "Because you will have to work together. Even though the two of us disagree on several things, we want what's best for us as a whole, and care about the same people. If your Dual wasn't someone you could work with, then the two of you would be fighting for control, and if this Weaver is as powerful as it sounds, you would probably lose that fight."

Turning back to their private conversation, Kestal continues, "Sweetheart, did you think this amulet was just for show?" Fingering the seven-pointed crown and its thorns for an effect that could be seen, she explains, "She was always a faithful servant of Nocticula, and heretic or not, that meant that she had certain duties to her goddess...Though her duties were certainly far more entertaining that those of most of our world's devout, but I suppose Our Lady in Shadow isn't exactly going to be empowering us any more...yet I think she still has her abilities. Now I'm curious. I wonder if it's just faith that's keeping her going? Oh, and don't tell her that. I don't want her going into shock or anything while we're here. She'll figure it out on her own when she's had time to think about it."
    Last edited by Desril; 2015-06-03 at 09:52 PM.

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Wait, so I will need to bind another soul to the Weaver to achieve this state? That sounds...contemptible.

Nocticula?
    Last edited by Keledrath; 2015-06-04 at 06:01 PM.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Lu'naus'Fel, the Daughter of Evenings

"Maybe, but maybe not. These people are like gods, maybe even beyond them. Who's to say they couldn't create a new soul to house the Weaver's abilities, one that wouldn't otherwise exist? Or reuse one that had already lived its life and wouldn't be able to continue on otherwise? It's not as if they would have to pluck some random person's soul from the living world."

While Eris explains why a Dual Soul needn't be a contemptible process, Kestal is more flabbergasted. "Well...that explains the lack of reaction from just about everyone save for Koriah, the rest of you just haven't ever picked up a book on demons. Now I wish Roland had been there when I returned, the look on his face would've been priceless when he saw us.

Though she doesn't sigh, a dangerous thing to do in this miasma, the look of deep thought is obvious on Luna's face as Kestal does her best to explain. "Alright, let's see...I still have all of our knowledge from before we separated, so I should be able to tell you everything, but this might take some time." Looking around once more to make sure that there isn't an obvious place to go, Kestal launches into her explanation if she fails to notice something.

"I'm sure you know that our world had deities, the gods, and that below them in the various planes were various Outsiders. From angels and demons to qlippoths and inevitables, but you may not have been aware of the entities who were above the various Outsiders and I hate these long-winded explanations," she suddenly cuts off. Addressing her other half, "Explain who Our Lady in Shadow is, starting from 'what demon lords are' is going to take too long, but she needs to know the whole thing."

"Oh, really?" Eris sounds surprised, "What brought this up? Anyway, that won't be a problem at all," she says, sounding somewhat pleased at the prospect. "Well, as we were saying, now that I've been filled in on where we got to, what might be less common knowledge is information about the beings who exist between the normal Outsiders and the gods. Since you were in Magnimar, I have to assume you know about the greater angels, that is, the Empyreal Lords, whose worship is prevalent throughout the city. Well, they are not the only group. Equal in power and stature are a plethora of others, including the Horsemen who rule the daemons, the Archdevils who rule over the Nine Hells, and the Demon Lords who command enormous swaths of land within the Abyss. The most powerful of this class of Outsider can even rise to become gods in full. The Dawnflower, Sarenrae, was once an Angelic Empyreal Lord, for example. And Lamashtu and Asmodeus are simultaneously a Demon Lord and a goddess and an Archdevil and a god, respectively."

She pauses there, momentarily, as if giving Nadia time to process the lesson. "Moving on, of the Demon Lords, Lamashtu, being a goddess, is the strongest. However, second to her and none other within that category is Our Lady in Shadow, Nocticula. Though currently she has dominion over Darkness and Charm, there are some of us who believe that when, not if, she ascends to full divinity, she won't remain a demon lord. Though the Mother of Monsters has both titles, we know that Nocticula desires to be better than that. She doesn't wish to remain a destructive force of evil, but for a Demon Lord to become a force of Good is something that has never been recorded in all of our world's history. It took me years of study to finally figure it out, but I think my mother was wrong about her," she says, casually mentioning Ayavah without explaining what she meant, too lost in her own ramblings. "Our Lady in Shadow isn't a fallen Empyreal Lord, but does desire redemption. That's part of why I chose her, because I wanted to do everything in my power to aid her to that end."

"Any questions?"

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Nadia laughs.
    Well, I still think I picked a nobler individual to lose my maidenhead to than my father had selected for me.
    Last edited by Keledrath; 2015-06-04 at 06:01 PM.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

The Magister and the Weaver chocked upon the befouled air, but it proved no hindrance. The begun to speak beneath the black crumbling gazebo of stone, a confession of her past to the former lieutenant. Luna covered her nose and mouth to keep the nauseating smog at bay, and it did help. Yet with each occasional breath she drew during her muffled conversion and mental dialogue, she was reminded of the terrible conditions of the atmosphere about the. The air entered her mouth like a wet swath of suffocating mist, that left the sensation that her throat and teeth were covered with a thin layer of grime with each gasp of air she took. The miasma was no less repulsive to the half-dragon Weaver. Though she lifted off into the air upon her wings of light under the broken stone ceiling of the gazebo, it did not assist her in the slightest. She could look up through the broken ceiling, and see the wretched mist stretched up for miles into the sky blotting out the sky, tainting the light and casting an unsettling green shade upon the world. It as if a cloud had descended and never retreated from whence it came. They continued on their conversation, while beginning to take in their surroundings.

A stone skipped off in the distance drawing their attention. Shapes moved about, darting in-and-out of sight briefly through the various buildings that ran along either side of the broken and ancient path that stretched out before them from the the building, like some linear graveyard walkway. They stood on alert as a black creature dashed out from behind a large marble structure, a family grave. It raced across the path way, and to the other-side vanishing into the mist again. Eris's eyes caught sight of the creature, just as she swapped with her other half to survey the strange place, but the cloaking mist seemed to conceal the creatures she could hear about them. The Weaver, looking down, and upon the way laid out before them, could see it more clearly. Strange shadows, creatures shaped like strange dogs, raced all about the strange graveyard like wild beasts. They paid them no mind, but they seemed to dart between the buildings, her sharp eyes darted left-and-right-and-left taking a rough count of the things as they dashed off madly through the mist, as if in pursuit. A pack of the creatures... no less then 15 to 20 of the beasts, she was certain of that much. Then she heard, it, the yelping cry as one of the beasts raced off, all in the same direction... away from them, scattering from the gazebo as far as possible... They were fleeing.

From their right side. One of the creatures skidded into the room, tumbling in the mud and broken tiles, thrashing about rising to it's feet. It glanced at the horned women then up at the light above it from the strange women above it, with red eyes. It crouched low, it's ears laying flat on its head growling defensively, it's face darting between both of them, as if unable to discern what it had stumbled upon.

Now having one of the strange creatures so close, they could make out its features. It was as a wolf, but without any solid form. A living shadow made solid and living, with glowing red eyes. It barked once sharply at The Magister, then it's gave darted back to The Weaver. Where it hesitated, as if noticing something. It's attention caught on The Weaver's wrist, as if recognizing the bangle. It lifted its head, it's ears coming back up, but it's gaze still held a suspicious air. Then to both of their surprise. The creature barked out words, " #@%$#@.... #$%@% " It was a language they had never heard before. Like a strange guttural barking, much like the language of goblins or the gnolls from their home world, but with such a strange an unearthly echoing thrum with each word. There was little else they could do but pause dumbstruck. Then the creature spoke again, it's voice still haunting and a strange barking howl, yet words could be made out. "Oreb! ...Oreb? " The wolf creature growled frustrated, as an echo begun to slowly trickle into The Weaver's mind, like silent text, as if the words were slowly...very slowly, being translated within her consciousness. The wolf thrashed it's head about, as if it was going mad with how slow the women was, seeming to recognize it's words had reached her. It growled off a quick and frenzied sentence; " Z'haan! ...Z'HAAN!, Z'haan wael! Uk chu! 'Jiv'Undus' ! " With its last words the creature kicked off violently from the stone with explosive force. Tiles cracked, splintered and flew all about the place throwing up dirt and marble as it darted off down the pathway before them with blinding speed vanishing into the thick mist.

Then... slowly, her mind began to draw focus, the words manifesting within her mind, as if translating text from a book. Letter for letter, slowly taking shape in her mind. She coughed, The miasma was beginning to become more oppressive. Then.. finally, her mind put together all of the pieces, and she understood what the creature had said. She looked down at Lu'naus'Fel with an evident trace of alarm. The earth quaked. Stone shook and fell from the blackened gazebo. A force, so massive, so violent and thunderous. The miasma and the air visibly trembled like a shockwave originating from some place in the endless vastness of smog behind them. The air pulsated, as if something... as if the world was 'breathing'. Visible pulsations within the cloudy mist, like a heartbeat.

Spoiler: Nadia's Translation
    Show
    "Raven! ...Raven?"
    "Run! ....RUN! Run fool! He comes! ' Jiv'Undus! ' "

A silence chocked the air, only the pounding, 'beat' of the air and quake of the ground interrupted the strange quiet. Yet still nothing was within sight, the origins of whatever had caused this change remained still out of sight. But they could both feel it... Something was coming.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Nadia grabs Luna and takes off after the wolf.
    They seem to recognize the band the Lord Raven gave me. And apparently something is coming.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Lu'naus'Fel

Though concerned at the shadow-wolf's arrival, neither of them let their face betray that fact. In fact, they'd been about to try to communicate with it when it began to speak to Nadia, and her translation didn't exactly fill them with confidence. "In that case," she speaks out loud as Nadia grabs her hand, "we should definitely go faster."

"Try to follow the shadow creatures, if they recognized your brand and tried to warn us, then they might be able to point us in the right direction whenever we get somewhere safer!"

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

The exchange was short between them after The Weaver finally came to realization of what the creature had said. It had taken close to a minute to piece together the letters within her mind, but the warning was clear. Without bothering to fully explain strange encounter with the creature she picked up The Magister and flew off down the pathway upon her wings of light after the strange wolf-like creatures.

They flew on for a short while, the miasma buffeted them as they raced through the air. The vile fumes starting to become less and less tolerable for them both with each moment, but Lu'naus kept her mouth and nose covered as best she could. The airborne Weaver begun to couch and choke upon the smog, her vision blurring as her eyes watered from the rush of the stinging fumes. After a moment, she felt her body shutter, her stomach turned over, a wave of nauseating pain beginning to swirl in her mind and bowels. She became uncertain how much longer she could tolerate the tainted air. It was in that moment however, she once again caught sight of the last of the pack of creatures, they dashed forward wildly into a creeping darkness. A strange figure knelt within the strange wall of shade he summoned as the last of the creatures she could see lept into the shadow well.

Just as they made their approach, the wall of shade, and the deep well of darkness upon the ground vanished. Only the figure remained, an ancient looking man, who appeared half-dead himself. His eyes were dilated, and empty, a grimy grey beard tangled upon his face. A black cloak was draped over his form, yet, black spines pierces the fabric revealing the strange monstrous nature of his being. His hands moved rhythmically the darkness and mist intertwined. He raised his head, yet looked upon nothing, as if he was blind. His mouth moved, but it was not the voice of a man that came forth. A terrible, guttural gurgling clicking crawled out from his lips instead, like a man with his throat cut downing in his own blood while caught in seizure. His head thrashed about violently with each word, jerking his neck and head at impossible and awkward angles. "@#@#*$&%@[email protected]*$%&@#$... *#*$ !**!*#!...." While not looking at them, he seemed to recognize their lack of acknowledgement, his head lowering back towards the ground, his hands weaving the darkness like threads of fabric. Then he spoke again, his body jerking violently as if random spasms seized him, " Guard.... passage. Mine. Mine. Jiv'undus come... Pay.. Names... Or run. Break... Run. Die. Mine.... Mine." His voice was a haunting bestial growling rasp, as if the words were forced through his body, his eyes rolled back in his head as he spoke, the seizures wracking his body like a twisted and broken doll.

Spoiler: OOC - The Miasma
    Show
    After the following replies to this event, Lu'naus and Nadia will have suffered 1 minute of exposure to the Miasma. The PC's will begin to become effected by the mist, and will be forced to make Fort Saves, beginning after the replies to this event. The DC to resist the Miasma will increase for each ADDITIONAL minute after the first which the PC suffers direct exposure (Not shielding their mouth/nose)

Covering Mouth/Nose With Hand: - While not as effective as breathing through a muffler of fabric or material, this will delay the onset of the Miasma's effect by half. Making the DC of direct exposure increase every OTHER minute, (every 2 minutes instead of every 1 minute).

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Nadia Vorns, The Reborn Drake

Nadia nearly recoils from the foul thing before them.
    I am the Weaver, Ward of the Ravens! Let my companion and I pass!

If the creature does not respond to that, inspiration strikes her. She draws Akyron from its sheathe, and slides her palm across the edge of the blade, cutting a shallow streak of crimson blood.
    The Lord Raven said that, should my blood be spilled, a member of the Ravens would be sent to aid me.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Lu'naus'Fel

Though concerned at Nadia's actions, neither of them make a move to stop her when she draws her blade, hoping that she has some sort of plan.

"What are you doing? If we were going to do that, why did we bother to stop? We could still be getting further from whatever abomination is behind us."
    "Let's hope you're right, otherwise you may've just made things worse."

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

They flew low seeing the strange man come into view, the strange creatures vanishing into the portals of darkness. The Weaver spoke her declaration to the man demanding passage. His body visibly twisted as if her words had somehow accosted him. He hissed like a threatened feline-creature, long thin needle-like teeth within his maw coming into view, as he slowly began to rise, the darkness before him becoming strange jagged shards of floating umbral energy. He pointed one long-nailed finger at the women screeching out poorly formed words. " WEAVER. SOUL... MINE. MINE. MINE! DIE. DIE. DIE! "

With the strange man's sudden hostile change in behavior, The winged warrior slid her blade from her side, and drew a line of blood from her hand. Just as her last word left her mouth. A crash of blackened lightning struck down before her. A women clocked in shadow, brought a massive barbed stave down upon the ancient creature's head with dreadful force, ripping away his face, collapsing his skull, and throwing two fist-sized gory piles to the earth. The creature reeled back, its hands upon its face, and it retreated back, thrashing in terrible agony.

The women, did not relent, she brought her staff down again, ripping off an arm with the terrible blow, then again, with a vicious thrust, spilling black horrid smoking fluids upon the ground. She howled at the creature in a frenzy, as if enraged. The old creature fell to its back, as she cried out at the top of her lungs, making a slow approach to the man. " H'LI'VELD! YOU DARE RAISE A HAND TO A WARD OF THE GODDESS!? " She lifted up a black boot, and brought it down upon the creatures broken exposed face, beginning to stomp the life out of the creature, while continuing her raging screaming rant. " YOU. UNGRATEFUL. DISGUSTING. WRETCHED CUR! " She lifted up her staff bringing the end down on the creatures body, obliterating it completely into nothing more then black charred scorches into the earth. She spat upon the blackened patch of earth in genuine contempt. " ...Know your place. Filth. "

After a short moment, the terrible magic that seemed to charge the air, and the explosive rage of the women seemed to subside. Her cloths materializing in full, no longer shadow, but dark ceremonial robes. She appeared very much like a cleric of sorts. Various symbols and ornamentation hung about her, she lifted a hand, as one of the shadowy birds above passed by, turning to land upon her hand. A dark raven of shadow. She looked up to the duo, the fury in her face long departed. She smiled gently at them both. " I apologize, for the... unpleasantness of our first meeting Lady Weaver, and guest. We were expecting you, though. We had not thought you were this far within The Black Heights. Normally, the Barra'Daka, the shadow like wolves you encountered, would have prevented you from venturing this far into The Heights, unless in the company of a Priestess... but where are my manners?" She tapped the ground with the end of er staff sharply. A small gleam of light struck them both. Bands of black light circled around their necks like large collars. " ...That should let you breath in this air. I am Mistress Tath. Mid-Priestess of The Black. Now if you'd be so kind. I would like to avoid an encounter with dear old Jiv'Undus. Let us depart quickly. " She pointed her staff behind her, a void-like black portal opening. " This will take us out of The Heights, after you. "

Mistress Tath, Mid-Priestess of The Black

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Lu'naus'Fel

Impressive.
    She really does know how to use that thing, doesn't she?

Giving control momentarily back to Eris when the strange magical collar is placed around them, the ex-tiefling nods in genuine appreciation. "Thank you. I was beginning to worry that we'd begin to succumb to this place." Glancing from Nadia to the portal, she steps toward the latter, "Shall we? It wouldn't do to keep our hosts waiting after calling this lovely young woman out here to save us."

Spoiler
    Show

I haven't rolled anything fun in a while, so here's a Diplomacy to improve the priestess' attitude [roll]1d20+12[/roll]

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Nadia smiles as her gambit pays off.
    My thanks, Mistress Tath. We should continue this discussion somewhere safer.
    She steps through the portal the woman had summoned

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

The Black Gates (Interstice) - The Acropolis; Lonnor Grotto

There was a dizzying feeling of detachment, their bodies moved some place far away, yet their minds were slow to catch up to themselves. Talking could be heard about them, their senses began to return to them. A well spoken rather charming female voice could be heard above the sound of water rushing by. "...Tath, what's this all about? I cannot have my Mid-Priestess running about, you departed without even a word of explanation." There was a shuffling of steps, then a familiar voice spoke out in reply. " Please forgive then sudden absence Lady Grey. I had located The Weaver unexpectedly within The Black Heights only a moment after Jiv'undus. I had not the time nor liberty to offer a notice of my absence. " Their vision came to them, refocusing. They were within a sizable longboat. A number of shrouded figures pulled long oars on either side of the boat, navigating through the large ravine that meandered through the cavernous expanse.

A high-born regal women stood at the fore of the craft, with two women in similar robes with simple wooden dark staves, priestesses much like Mistress Tath. " It appears our guests are coming to... Welcome to Lonnor Grotto. The lowest level of The Acropolis. Welcome aboard my vessel. I am the 3'ed Greysword of The Oculus, High-Librarian Clapel B'Ashau Bernaught. You may call me Lady Grey." She nodded to one of the women beside her, who moved over, and draped a cloak over the nude form of Lu'naus. " It's a pleasure to have you both aboard... I assume you are... some variant of a Child, judging by your appearance. However, i'll not have you nude on my ship. It distracts my men, and will only serve to disrupt order and discipline." She turned around looking out from the large vessel, across the winding ravine, and the creeping miasma that roiled in from the higher reaches of the place. The air was less tainted here, and a rocky ceiling hung over head, a few hundred feet above, with various large holes that allowed them to see above. The remains of destroyed buildings and ships dotted the landscape creating an unsettling view. " Tath. Report." The priestess came forward standing next to the regal women who was obviously in charge. The dozen men who manned the oars were all well armed, and outfitted with similar or matching equipment. It was evident these individuals were trained soldiers or another such militant organization. Mistress Tath spoke as the two displaced women, picked themselves up. " Our guests have been located and secured. The Barra'Dakka have fled The Heights, and Jiv'undus seems to have returned. Drawn by The Weaver's emergence, most likely. I advise we gather Judge De'kel and the last of our men and return to The Citadel now that we have re-secured Lonnor Grotto and ensured The Weaver's safety." The women nodded firmly before speaking her reply. " Very well. We will return to The Citadel. Send notice to His Honor's detachment to return as well. We need not double-back for them when time is of the essence." The Priestess quickly wrote out a message, and gave it to the raven upon her arm before sending the bird away flapping off into the distance,

' Lady Grey ' - 3'ed Greysword of The Oculus, High-Librarian Clapel B'Ashau Bernaught
    Last edited by Mornings; 2015-06-05 at 09:55 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Lu'naus'Fel

As the cloak is brought towards them, Eris, still in control, tells her other half to be quiet before she can voice her complaint, My modesty wasn't the only reason I had that bracelet made, you know. Luckily for us you didn't destroy it like I know you were thinking about doing.

Using their tail to retrieve the item in question, Eris slips it on their wrist and once more dawns the robes of a Magister that she used before Magnimar's near death, "This should suffice, if it's just the men you're worried about. I hope you don't object," she says, biting her lip as she looks to the cloak being brought toward her, "it's a comfort thing."

Assuming there's no further complaint, she changes topic, deciding it was best to keep talking and keep Kestal distracted from the clearly very order driven Lady Grey lest she think something dangerous, "Lady Grey, is it safe to talk here? Or would we all be better served if we kept silent until we reached The Citadel? I'd like to discuss something with the High-Librarian if I've the chance."

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

The Lady Grey
    She did not turn around. She remained looking forward with the pommel of her sword in hand, and the but of her scabbard upon the deck, as if it was a walking stick. She spoke in reply to the women with a curtly-matter-of-fact tone. " Regardless of the locale. Librarians do not 'speak' of matters of import. What business do you have with The Oculus?"

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Lu'naus'Fel

"I've heard that the Librarians of the Order keep in their collection tomes of ancient magics and arcane secrets. Being a practitioner of the Arte as my home understood it, I was curious as to what I would need to do in order to gain access to them," she says plainly, deciding that she didn't want to mince words with the Lady Grey.

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

The Lady Grey
    She spoke flatly in response " Yes. It is a well known duty of The Oculus to maintain all records, both historical and practical within our archives. The arcane works you speak of are maintained and only accessible to The High Librarians in addition to our Keepers within our individual Chapters. Trusted men and women, who have devoted generations to maintaining these records. Access to these texts or reproductions is explicitly prohibited to the public. Mid-Priests and Class I; Magister's of The Order are permitted access to certain publications when endorsed by their Chapter Lord or Knight-Lord with the approval of The High Librarians."

"However, as you are not a member of The Order, and simply a guest. You will only have access to public records. All of the material you mentioned would not be accessible to you. "

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Nadia bows to The Lady Grey.
    Greeting. I am Nadia Vorns, daughter of the House of Vorns of the Mana Wastes of Golarion, and a newly come Weaver.
    She grins a little sheepishly.
    I suppose most of my title if fairly meaningless now, isn't it? However, I have not come here merely to exchange pleasantries. I was told that I could find the Vessel of Peace here, as well as receive training as a Weaver.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

The Lady Grey
    The women looked over her shoulder to the Weaver, nodding. " Yes. We know who you are Weaver. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance. While other's would not have heard of your house or title, as a Librarian, I am familiar with your home world." She turns around at the women's last bit of conversation, looking at her in the eye rather skeptically. The gaze of everyone on the boat seems to be drawn to her. The sound of the paddling of the oars in the water ceases abruptly, a tense silence choking the air.

The Order of Black
    The Priestesses at either side of Lady Grey exchanged confused looks to one another. Mistress Tath put a hand on the Weaver's back, coming to her side. " Lady Weaver... What do you mean, you come seeking The Vessel of Peace? " Her eyes were evidently filled with concern. " The Vessel of Peace has returned... However, this is a 'sensitive' subject currently being maintained in secrecy. What do you know of this Weaver? " The Librarian tapped her boot on the ground. " The Black Order, as always does still provide instruction to Weavers. However, I am very curious as well what business a newborn Weaver might have with The Vessel of Peace. Or what business anyone would have with that creature. I suspect you do not know 'it' personally, or just how dangerous that beast is. I would like to know where you heard such information regarding The Vessel's whereabouts however. It would distress me greatly to hear of a spy within our ranks. Please tell us Weaver, what do you know of this, and from whom did this information come from?"

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Nadia quickly moves to calm the situation
    Your ranks are secure, to my knowledge. Since you do not know, I must assume the Lord Raven has not returned. I had established a Pact with Death. Upon meeting the End, I realized that my decision was in error, and my companion the Magister, assisted by the Lady Arias, found a way to undo my mistake. But I was told by Peace to come to the Citadel and speak with her Vessel. I bear her no ill will, and I would like to see if that bridge can be mended.
    After Lady Grey responds, she yawns, her arms stretching above her head.
    It feels like ages since I have slept. Would you mind if I rested for a time? It has been a momentous...time, and my head is still struggling to come to grips with all that has happened.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Lu'naus'Fel

Disappointed with the answer, but not surprised by it, Eris nods in understanding. "I suspected as much, but I had hoped to be surprised. What would be available to a guest of the Lord Raven and a Weaver? Ancient knowledge is always interesting, but all knowledge is important."

When Nadia begins explaining about their situation and relationship with Death, Eris wonders if maybe they should've kept that one quiet, but too late for that now, and she lets her lover explain that one. Kestal, however, is less passive. Reaching out with her mind to touch Tath's, "Hello again," she thinks cheerfully toward her. "You know, I've been thinking that we owe you a proper 'thank you' for that rescue. It's a shame your boss is right here...I'd love to repay you right here and now, but I don't think she'd approve... Smiling, her grin turns suggestive, "I don't suppose you know somewhere we can go? It doesn't have to be private, but I wouldn't want to get you in trouble, unless you know how to convince Lady Grey to loosen up?"

Eris, oblivious to this silent message, brushes Nadia's hair out of her face as she lays down. "Good night, Nadia. I'll stay up, haven't felt tired, oddly enough, and I process things better when I'm awake. But why didn't you tell me that Death was at the Citadel? I need to have words with her."

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Nadia yawns.
    Because I don't want you trying to make any deals yet. And it isn't Death who is at the Citadel, it is Peace. She's a Persona of Death. The counterpoint to End. And, if I'm not mistaken, the only reason End wasn't able to kill us when she threw her tantrum.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro