Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default [3.5] E6 Hollow's Last Hope - Role Play Focus

Hello there,

I am a somewhat new DM who is looking to get some practice at the trade via some PbP role play, and this site here seems as good as any to try and find some willing guinea pigs... err players. I am part of a weekly D&D group with some IRL friends, and while I'm a fairly experienced and rule savvy player, my actual experience in DM'ing a D&D campaign is sorely lacking.

That said, I've participated in quite a number of freeform play-by-post role playing groups, over the years on a variety of websites and in a variety of genres, so have something of an idea of how to go about it. Hopefully. Anyways, onto the meaty stuff.

Plot Summary (from back cover):
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Town of Falcon’s Hollow needs a Miracle. The plague has come to the town of Falcon’s Hollow, and not even the town’s priest can abate its wretched course. With the coughs of the sick and the wails of the dying echoing through town, the local herbalist uncovers a cure, but she needs some brave heroes to retrieve the ingredients. Finding the cure means risking the dangerous Darkmoon Vale, infiltrating a witch’s haunted hut, and delving the ruins of an abandoned dwarven monastery.

Obligatory 16 Questions.
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5, utilising the E6 variant rules, if we get that far.

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?

I will be running the Hollows Last Hope campaign module, and if the PbP group is still actively posting/interested continue on with Crown of the Kobold King, and so on. Really depends on interest/activity, but I will do my best to complete at least the Hollows Last Hope mini-campaign.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?

Would like 4, who can reliably commit to posting at least once per day. I find larger groups become unwieldy, and have players losing interest. If I get a massive amount of interested characters, I may consider a group of 5, or do a couple instances of the same campaign, with seperate groups of players. Please don't apply, if you can't regularly post.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?

OOTS forums. Would also like to get everyone on Skype, and make a skype group for OOC discussion as well.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?

First level.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?

Standard starting gold for your class. If you want something shiny that you would otherwise not be able to afford, that is justifiable based on your characters story/class/deity etcetera, ask me. Just off the top of my head, a deities favoured weapon, for example.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

Keep it to published material. No Tome of Battle or Psionics, I find that those complicate things unnecessarily.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

Player's Handbook races and Monster Manual variants of said races.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

Roll 4d6 keep the best 3. You may roll 3 sets of 6 ability scores, and pick which set to use. Full HP at first level, 3/4 at each level after, or you can roll if you really want to.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?

Standard alignments. Be aware I expect these to actually be role-played. No 'oh, I'm chaotic evil, that justifies going on a psychotic killing spree'. No, it doesn't. That just means you serve your own interests, and are not so fussed on following laws and set standards of ethical conduct. Play your character with basic morality, and alignment more as a guide of how they view it. No Marvel-esque good guys and bad guys, and I won't throw things at you.

With this in mind, any alignment is allowed, but please actually role play it. No purposeful sabotage of the party, or evil for the sake of evil, though.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?

Yes. Just keep it realistic. If you are a fighter, and suddenly decide after a few levels that you want to start taking levels in cleric, or sorcerer, I will want you to role play out why your character would be doing that. Give good reasons for the multi-classing IC, not OOC.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?

You make your characters rolls. Use the GitP forums dice roller thing. As an aside though, the campaign is going to be generally role-play focused. Dice rolls are one guide to how fights and situations will develop, but smart role playing and well written posts are the kind of thing that will help to encourage me to let things go more your way. As an example, If you make a one liner, of "i kill the goblin with my sword' and roll a natural 20, I'll probably smite you down. If you roll a natural 1, but wrote out a great post, that really contributes to the role play and other players immersion, I might let that 1 slide.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

E6 is being used.

As far as homebrew'y stuff, use your characters constitution score, as a negative, rather than -10 as the hitpoints at which your character is considered dead. i.e. your fighter has 16 constitution, they are dead at -16 hitpoints, your wizard has 7 constitution, they are dead at -7 hitpoints.

All characters may reroll one dice a day. You rolled a 1, on that really critical attack in the boss fight, or failed on a bluff check or save? Reroll it. I let you do this, because as a DM I don't like to let dice and numbers get in the way of telling a good story, and if by letting you reroll occasionally it helps with that, then by all means go for it. I personally don't want to see you lose horribly, just because of one bad roll. Please don't abuse this in ways that it is not intended for.

I'll add more if I remember it, or you guys ask for something in particular.

You may have up to 2 traits, from the SRD. No flaws.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?

Yes. Please give me enough to get an idea of who your character is, what they're fighting for, etc. The more detailed your character write up is, the more likely you are to get a spot in the eventual group.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?

A bit of everything. Please keep in mind that good, fun, role-play and not hacking things up is going to be the general goal of the campaign.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?

Basically anything goes book wise, but if it's particularly strange please run it by me. In the interests of simplicity, Psionics are not allowed in this campaign and content from Tome of Battle is heavily discouraged, unless you have a really cool concept that you are wanting to use, and can convince me.

A couple notes, I am based in the Australian time zone, so replies to things will happen at odd times for you Americans out there.

As I said above, relatively new to DM'ing, so I will likely make mistakes. I'll try my best though.

The campaign will *not* be following a posting order, in the IC thread. Instead it will be split up into rounds. Each character posts, whenever they get a chance to in said round (1 round = 1 day of RL time), and then I will post based on what has been posted. If you don't post, I will role play what your character would most likely do, according to my understanding of your character.

Looking forwards to reading some character sheets. :)

Accepting applications until June 10th, and beginning the campaign on June 12th.
    Last edited by Haze; 2015-06-06 at 06:45 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: [3.5] E6 Hollow's Last Hope - Role Play Focus

I'm interested, human warlock good?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Yes, a human warlock is fine.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

The 'rounds' thing is about combat, and combat only, right? Otherwise how much ic time does it encompass?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Yes, the rounds is mostly to try and keep combat flowing at a reasonable (for play-by-post) speed. Out of combat, you are welcome and in fact encouraged to post as much as you like, and interact with each other.

As far as time flow of out of combat role playing goes, that will be case by case. I will attempt to post to the roleplay once a day, or more if I get the chance and it is needed. I'll probably post OOC roughly the direction I am hoping to take things,and you guys can poke me on Skypeabout how you would like to progress, and if you want me to slow things down, or speed them up, as the case may be.
    Last edited by Haze; 2015-06-06 at 07:01 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6

That sounds good. I figure I should roll some stats.

Spoiler
    Show
    Set I
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[18]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[12]

Set II
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[13]

Set IIII
    (4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[12]

Hmm. Set 1 is a smidge superior to set 3, I think.
    Last edited by arccos; 2015-06-06 at 07:05 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7

RedWizardGuy

I should roll mine too.

Spoiler
    Show

(4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[13]

(4d6b3)[8]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[7]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[9]

(4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[10]

Think I'll keep the last set
    Last edited by Modigar; 2015-06-06 at 07:26 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

You can turn one of those 14's into a 16, Modigar. The dice gods really didn't like you.

Interested to see what you guys can cook up.

9. - Top - End - #9

I was thinking of running a Spell-like ability wannabe sorcerer, but it seems that can't really be done until level six without flaws. Damn. It was a pretty clever idea too, even if I do say so myself.

Ah well, I shall think of something else. Maybe a cleric.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Throw something homebrew at me, or something using 1 flaw, and I'll consider it.

If it's an interesting character you will have fun role playing, that's more important to me as a DM than something strictly bound by rules.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

I've been itching to play a Champion character, would that be fine by you Haze? Preferably with the extra class abilities and access to the class-specific feats.
    Just "John" is fine.

Credit to Edwin for the awesome orc avatar.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

It's something new and interesting for me, so by all means go for it.

Just remember that you're going to need to actually roleplay your avatar form as well as your champion, so that whole split-personality thing may be a bit of a challenge.

13. - Top - End - #13

Beholder

Very interested!

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Set 1

(4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[10]

Set 2

(4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[7]
    (4d6b3)[8]
    (4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[10]

Set 3

(4d6b3)[7]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[12]

EDIT: Ick. I suppose set 2 would work for a single-ability caster (Wizard). Guess I'll go with that.
    Last edited by Amanil; 2015-06-06 at 08:54 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Awesome, rolling stats:

Show

Set the First
    (4d6b3)[8]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[7]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[15]

Set 2: Electric Boogaloo
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[7]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[7]

Set 3:
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[12]

Edit: Set 3 it is, I guess.
    Last edited by JohnTheSavage; 2015-06-06 at 08:58 PM.
    Just "John" is fine.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

You guys are really not doing well with character stat line dice rolls. :p

Amanil, make the 7 a 16.

JohnTheSavage, make one of your 14's a 16.

It's hard making a character without at least a +3 bonus to work with. Also note, I'd prefer to go with a fairly archetypal party composition (healer-like, warrior-like, rogue-like and caster-like) but don't let that dissuade you from making what you want. A bit of double up and weird and interesting characters are very welcome.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Hmmm so many options so many choices, lets see what the dice gods say and I will think on my plan

Show

Set 1:
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[6]
    (4d6b3)[17]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[8]

Set 2:
    (4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[7]
    (4d6b3)[8]

Set 3:
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[15]

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm really liking this idea! I'd like to throw my hat into the ring, if it's not too late:

Show

Set A:
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[17]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[13]

Set B:
    (4d6b3)[5]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[17]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[14]

Set C:
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[15]

Hopefully I'll have what to build a character with :3

EDIT: I like option C! It's very well equipped for even MAD builds, but I'll see what I can come up with!
    Last edited by Prince Zahn; 2015-06-07 at 05:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Jette View Post
    If you write gibberish in common, even comprehend languages won't turn it into a sonnet.
    P.Z. - gamer; friend; royalty. 'Tis a pleasure.
    <<Cynthia the Witch by me. she's a nice gal, I promise!

My player Resume, for potential DMs to read over.

My Extended Signature

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

If it's not too late, I'd also very much like to join in here. I love role-play heavy games and actually quite like the idea of having a DM who's more or less in my time zone (I too am in an Australian time zone ).

Spoiler
    Show

Set One
    (4d6b3)[4]
    (4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[10]

Set Two
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[17]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[14]

Set Three
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[15]

I can say in advance that I already have a character concept in mind. I had a previous character whom I absolutely adore but the game she was created for died and I've been dying to find a new place to play her. She's a Scout (because I love the combination of rogue and ranger-type abilities) and I can easily recreate her according to your methods of doing stats (I've actually recreated her about three times already, games keep dying on me).

Huh. The dice-roller here usually loves me more than that. I think I shall go with set number three.
    Last edited by Lady Moreta; 2015-06-07 at 06:53 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19

RedWizardGuy

Aaron Dunn is complete.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

Adeyn Amaril is also done.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

I do love low-level campaigns. I have a few vague ideas, but I'll roll stats, "in order," to stimulate my creativity a bit.

Spoiler: Round 1!
    Show
    Str: (4d6b3)[9]
    Dex: (4d6b3)[16]
    Con: (4d6b3)[10]
    Int: (4d6b3)[14]
    Wis: (4d6b3)[9]
    Cha: (4d6b3)[8]

Someone graceful and a good student, but not really cut out for combat or recruiting or dealing with scary things in general. Maybe a wizard or a merchant's daughter who thinks she knows more than she really does.

Spoiler: Round 2!
    Show
    Str: (4d6b3)[9]
    Dex: (4d6b3)[12]
    Con: (4d6b3)[14]
    Int: (4d6b3)[13]
    Wis: (4d6b3)[9]
    Cha: (4d6b3)[12]

Kind of a tougher, more well-rounded version of the last set. Maybe a well-liked member of the town guard with some dormant sorcery or a Paladin's calling.

Spoiler: Round 3!
    Show
    Str: (4d6b3)[15]
    Dex: (4d6b3)[11]
    Con: (4d6b3)[15]
    Int: (4d6b3)[12]
    Wis: (4d6b3)[14]
    Cha: (4d6b3)[14]

Ideal Paladin stats. Ideal for anyone with armor, really; a cleric or druid who thinks he's a paladin would work, and even a rogue or bard who likes melee could be fun. The only disadvantage is that I like playing characters with fun achilles' heels, and the first stat set lends itself better to that.

I'll think of something. A cleric who thinks he's a paladin is the first idea, though there's also a, "practical rogue," idea I've not successfully gotten to play yet.
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2015-06-08 at 01:12 AM.
    Nexusites, Dorothy.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Gregory Brown is done, and I'll have the sheet of his avatar, the Golden Warrior, done tomorrow. Something I'd like to ask for under the "shiny/cool roleplaying/background item" clause is the option to start with the Golden Warrior's ancient broken-off sword, usable as a magic dagger with a +1 to damage but no option to inflict piercing damage. Probably never going to use it, but who knows, maybe I'll get disarmed or something.
    Just "John" is fine.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm not sure if it's fair game or if you'd rather avoid that too (wasn't specified), but I'm currently gearing up for a Binder with my current allotment, of ability scores, if you prefer I'd take something simpler, I don't mind being playing a bard or something (stats nearly wouldn't need any change ) and it would have been worth a shot

...I'm gonna see if I have time in 2 days to make both, just in case *zips off*
    If you write gibberish in common, even comprehend languages won't turn it into a sonnet.

My Extended Signature

24. - Top - End - #24

Goblin

I'd be interested in joining up too, I'll think about as what tonight.

Spoiler
    Show
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[17]
    (4d6b3)[12]

(4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[17]
    (4d6b3)[11]

(4d6b3)[18]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[15]

25. - Top - End - #25

I'm currently thinking of running a bard-like paladin.

High points include the ability to (eventually) cast wizard spells and using inspire courage.

Only problem is it mixes together some substitution levels from two different knightly orders - milil and mystra.

Would it be all right to run it anyway? It sort of blends quite well together for some interesting fluff. Inspire courage gives that whole 'leader of men' feeling that's good on a paladin, and the wizard spells and magical flavor ties in nicely with the illumian focus on words and magic.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

@Modigar: Looks good, for the most part. Please fill in age, weight and hit die at the top, as well as weights for all gear. I'm not going to be crazy about weights and stuff, but just so we don't have to go and figure them all out later. I'm a bit iffy on the Mortalbane feat to be honest, but I guess I'll allow it. 5/day uses seems slightly arbitrary to me, I'd rather have it be cha mod/day, or something similar.

@Lady Moreta: Good. Please calculate your gold remaining after purchases. It's still showing 100 gp.

@JohnTheSavage: Good. Please fill in character weight. As far as your broken sword goes, it can be a +1 Longsword which has been sundered (repairable for 1000 gp) and for now can be used as a +1 Dagger with a -2 on attack rolls due to it being damaged. You can have it as an Ancestral Weapon as well, if you are interested in taking the Ancestral Relic feat at 3rd level.

@ Prince Zahn: Go for it, with a Binder. Seems interesting.

27. - Top - End - #27

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Haze View Post
    @Modigar: Looks good, for the most part. Please fill in age, weight and hit die at the top, as well as weights for all gear. I'm not going to be crazy about weights and stuff, but just so we don't have to go and figure them all out later. I'm a bit iffy on the Mortalbane feat to be honest, but I guess I'll allow it. 5/day uses seems slightly arbitrary to me, I'd rather have it be cha mod/day, or something similar.
    Cha mod uses per day suits me fine if you'd prefer. As for the other problems, I forgot I'd missed those to be honest, I'll rectify those now.

Edit: fixed it now, but it seems the tent pushes me into medium load, so if I can't find a bunkmate (tents sleep two) willing to carry it I'll have to drop that.
    Last edited by Modigar; 2015-06-08 at 09:40 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Modigar View Post
    Edit: fixed it now, but it seems the tent pushes me into medium load, so if I can't find a bunkmate (tents sleep two) willing to carry it I'll have to drop that.
    My character should have a decent strength score. If Aaron wouldn't mind a lady carrying it for him and sleeping within 5 feet of him, I'll help you out. Mind you it's not the most old fashioned solution, but it is an option
    Last edited by Prince Zahn; 2015-06-08 at 10:07 AM.

My Extended Signature

29. - Top - End - #29

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Zahn View Post
    My character should have a decent strength score. If Aaron wouldn't mind a lady carrying it for him and sleeping within 5 feet of him, I'll help you out. Mind you it's not the most old fashioned solution, but it is an option
    Being fully aware that he's far from the strongest, and having low self-esteem in general, Aaron isn't likely to mind having his tent carried by a lady. Much. As for sharing it with a lady, any discomfort from that is just as likely from the 'sharing' part as the 'lady' part. He's used to solitude after all.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Looks like things are filling up quick(as usual).

I would like to throw my hat in the ring, and see what ability scores I roll:

Spoiler: Ability Scores
    Show

Set 1
    (4d6b3)[7]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[18]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[11]

Set 2
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[15]