New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 51 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default The Sunless Citadel [IC]

Midmorning two weeks past midsummer, Oakhurst possesses an odd air of tension. The few people out and about hurry to their destinations with their heads down. Even Suga draws less attention than he's used to.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: The Sunless Citadel [IC]

A slender figure walks into town from the old, well-traveled trade road leading to Relnor Bay. The cloaked stranger peers about intently until he spots the worn sign identifying the hamlet of Oakhurst. Visibly relaxing, he throws back the hood of his cloak, revealing pointed ears and almond-shaped, mismatched eyes. At last he thought, rubbing shoulders that ached abominably from carrying his traveling satchel over more miles than he cared to remember.

Instinctively he starts looking for signs of an inn, imaging the comfort of a warm bath and soft bed, but quickly remembers how empty his purse has become of late. Sighing in resignation, he reaches into a pocket and withdraws the scrap of parchment on which he'd transcribed the details of the job posting that had brought him here. "Let's see, the post said to contact a...Kerowyn Hucrele" he mutters to himself in Elvish. Looking around at the squat, unremarkable human dwellings, he notices the General Store and hustles inside. Moving up to the counter and gesturing to attract the owner's attention, he calls out in accented Common. "Excuse me, could you please tell me where I might find a Kerowyn Hucrele? I have business to discuss with the merchant."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

A scantily dressed woman smiles at the stranger walking by and works her way inside the building where the healer lives. It seems quite the ordeal as she has her hands full with a huge assortment of plants and herbs.
    The wreath on her head made from freshly picked wild flowers slides off over her face and falls down. She just manages to catch it with her big toe as she shoulders herself into the dooropening with some sort of unlikely body-twist and disappears into the building. The door slams shut with a loud bang and seems to shake the building slightly.

A few minutes later she steps out again, seemingly having dressed up a bit inside. She's wearing a functional leather armor without any unnecessary decorations, and a shortbow on her back. The wreath is again sitting on top of her head this time with her hair worn up, holding the wreath steadily in place.
    She puts two fingers to her mouth and gives a short sharp whistle. A small viper slithers out from the grass by the side of the road and makes its way up and into the backpack she's carrying. Before the animal disappears they seem to have a momentary eye contact after which Remi looks in the general direction of the town and slowly shakes her head.
    'There is sadness here..' She remarks quietly as she makes her way towards Kerowyn.
    Last edited by LuckyStrike; 2015-06-07 at 08:35 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

From the northern road, a small, hooded figure arrives into town. I'm glad I didn't run into any elves. He moves as if to pull down his hood, but then he notices what clearly is the jail and shudders. Hopefully, there will be no need for that., As he walks through the town, his furtive movements seem to fit in with the town's natives, though he hardly notices. He passes next building, which was slightly bigger than the other's. That must be the mayor's house. He notices the well in front him and quickens his pace. He reaches the well and decides to sit down, back to the well, hiding himself from the rest of the town.

Lets see...... He pulls out a small parchment from his backpack. 'Help Wanted" it said. He turn it around and read the notes he had written down after questioning one of Hurcele's merchant buddies in Knurl. His house is between the mayor and the general store. Well, better not waste any time. Surely I am not the only one looking for work here He grunted as stood up. Damn this backpack. He looked around, taking note of the inn and the general store, He approached the building he assumed to be Hucrele's house and knocked on the door.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon
    The Underlord, you are clearly awesome.
    Current avatar by TinyMushroom
    Online gaming stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Steam profile: Triginomicon
    Smite IGN:JoJoMCFroYo

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

The caravan of wagons pulled into the village of Oakhurst. The lead trader, Skitzel Wolfswift, dismounted and left to barter with the locals. Suga stood on the wagon he rode on, looking around in a circle and taking in the smells all around. The locals kept their heads down and didn't notice the nearly 7 foot tall figure above them. Even though the well maintained studded leather armor and helm hid most of his skin, his height and build gave away that he was an orc. His dire axe, shield, and pack were on the wagon at his feet. There was no threat and internally he was totally calm, a break from his duties and hopefully there was a new path for him to take from here. Skitzel returned after a while and relayed what items to take from the wagons to take where and what to load up. There were hired hands for the loading and unloading but Suga hopped off and pitched in. He wanted to keep his strength up so the workout was welcome.

After the loading was complete, Master Wolfswift pulled Suga to the side. "Suga, there's a merchant here by the name of Kerowyn Hucrele. I don't know what's involved but she is looking for adventurers to hire. I mentioned you were looking. Se saw you carrying more than double than the others and is interested in talking. She's at the last building you were loading from."

Suga smiled and thoughts of potential paths raced through his mind. He nodded his head and took Skitzel's arm in a warrior's embrace. "Thank you." His voice was deep and loud. Even just the two words expressed more education than one would figure for an orc, which was still more than Suga had when the two first met. "I hope ours paths cross again. Stay safe." Suga said his goodbyes to a few of the others, grabbed his gear, and headed up to the merchant's place.
    Last edited by Cavir; 2015-06-09 at 12:53 PM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

6. - Top - End - #6

Kieryian

The shopkeeper nods, looking unsurprised by the question. "Just follow the road for about twenty metres and then turn right. Matron Hucrele's house is bigger than any of the others--you can't miss it."

Kieryian, Remi, Aramil, Suga

Your directions bring you to a mansion; its size makes it stand out from the rest of the village. A butler greets each of you and shows you to a sitting room. "Matron Hucrele is hoping there will be a few more...adventurers," he tells you.

Kieryian arrives first (so the room is empty when he's shown into it), then Aramil, then Remi, and finally Suga.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Kieryian smiles politely to the butler before making himself comfortable in the mansion's sitting room. Looking through the reading material on display, he selects a treatise on trading concerns in eastern Oerik before taking a seat. He glances up from the book only when the others arrive, offering a nod of acknowledgement before returning to the text. He stiffens in alarm when Suga walks in, a natural reaction for one whose home has been at war with Orcs, both Pomarj and those of the Lortmils in times past, for many years. He quickly recovers his composure though, and offers him the same polite nod before returning to his studies. I'm not in Celene anymore, he reminds himself.

8. - Top - End - #8

Ararmil nods in response and walks into the sitting room, suppressing his wonder at the lavish surroundings. Rarely had Aramil been in such a place and even more rarely was he welcome there. He pauses as he notes Kieryian, but then decides to sits in the chair closest to the exit. He glances around at the books quickly, but decides to ignore them. He thinks about putting down his hood, but chooses not too as the others arrive. He's surprised at the orc's arrival, but notices the first elve's reaction. I wonder if they know each other. Aramil raises an eyebrow the viper entering with the other elf, though the hood hides it. Thinking for awhile, Aramil decides his best course of action is to wait for the others to arrive.
    Online gaming stuff
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9

DwarfBarbarianGuy

'Hi.' Remi says as she walks in and sees two others. She strolls a bit throught the room looking and sometimes touching the odd object occupying the space.
    She's a bit put off by the man reading and figures the one hiding is probably a bit scared and needs time to warm up for conversation.
    She is empathetic to the silence until the fourth walks in. She looks up at Suga and looks amused. 'Bigger than old Skeeter'. She says. Just after the others have made their courtesies she moves in and takes his hand for a handshake. 'Hey there. Special pair of eyes you've got there.'

10. - Top - End - #10

As Suga reaches the house he shoulders his shield and axe. Following the butler he removes his helm and enters the sitting room. He pauses inside the doorway and his attention is attracted by the elven male's tense reaction. Suga stays serene which seems to settle the elf and they both politely nod to each other. Suga notices the hooded (elven male too?) figure noticing the initial non-verbal interaction but before he can look closer he is welcomed by the elven female. He carefully blends with the handshake, her hand tiny compared to his. "Hello. Yes, never seen another orc with eyes like mine." He nods in greeting to the hooded figure then addresses the group so far. "I'm Suga.

Suga moves across the room gracefully with his large pack and shouldered axe and shield, avoiding furniture and occupants with barely a thought. Even if the others had been standing he would have towered over them. With them sitting it made the difference that much greater. He drops his stuff in the back corner out of the way. The thud of the pack is surprisingly heavy for the ease that the orc was hefting it. Suga takes a seat near his gear, not wanting to scare anyone coming in and is careful not to damage the fine furniture with the items still on him.

All elves? Not what I would have guessed.
    Last edited by Cavir; 2015-06-11 at 08:05 PM.
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

11. - Top - End - #11

About ten minutes later, a distinguished human woman of about forty walks in. "Four of you? I was hoping for at least one or two more; four was the number...Hello," she addresses you, her eyes glancing over each of you before settling on Remi. "I'm Kerowyn Hucrele."

12. - Top - End - #12

As the lady enters Suga stands up to his full height. "Hello. I believe you already know that I am Suga."
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13

"I'm pleased to meet you, Suga," the woman says politely, seeming only slightly disturbed by Suga's countenance. "So yes. I've called you here because--I should start at the beginning." She sits down and takes a deep breath before continuing, "The goblins--no wait, the beginning's the citadel." She takes another deep breath. "I don't know how much you know, so I'm going to assume you're completely unfamiliar with the area's history."

"There is a local ruin, called the Sunless Citadel hereabouts, by the Old Road. Some centuries ago, the great red dragon Ashardalon cast the citadel down, drove it into the earth, and scorched the whole area surrounding it. Some time later, an aggressive tribe of goblins moved into the ruin and used it as a base from which to raid caravans traveling by the Old Road."

"After the New Road was built, about a decade ago, a band of the goblins came to town and offered to sell an apple which would cure any ill. They demonstrated that the apple actually worked, someone bought it, and they left. After that, they kept coming back every midsummer with a new apple to sell. This past midsummer, they got into an altercation with the mayor; he accused them of stealing the shrubs he had tried to grow from the apples' seeds. The warband leader stabbed him through the chest. He died almost instantly."

"After that, some people got together an adventuring party to go to the Sunless Citadel and find out what the source of the magic fruit is. My two younger siblings were part of that party. That was over a week ago; I would have expected them to come back to the village before now under any circumstances, unless they were dead or captured."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

"I assume you are concerned over the fate of your siblings, and would like us to travel to this ruin to ascertain their fate for you?" Kieryian asks, eyes alight at the thought of exploring this historical site.

15. - Top - End - #15

DwarfBarbarianGuy

'Apple Magic is the magic of trust.'Remi says, having freed herself from the woman's gaze she now stares out the window.

'Apples ripen mostly at once and in great abundance. They keep well over winter and provide nourishment when freshly-grown bounty is scant. In this way, they teach us to embrace great waves of abundance knowing that although lean times will come we will be sustained. Apple magic is the magic of trust through abundance. Trust your siblings will return and nourish the thought well. It shall pay off.

It takes about six to ten years for an apple tree to bear her first fruits; being a softwood tree, her growth is fairly rapid. A fully-mature tree will blossom in early spring and the resulting apples will be ready for harvest within three to six months, depending on the variety. Projects begun under the apple can be expected to be fruitful on a similar scale.'

She turns away from the window to face Kerowyn.

'What we send into the world will grow when the conditions are right. Apple Magic is the magic of trust. I'm looking forward to investigating this sunless citadel.'

16. - Top - End - #16

Aramil ponders for a second and then come to a decision."This task seems reasonable. Of course, there is the issue of compensation." states Aramil while looking over his new companions.
    Online gaming stuff
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Eyes open, feet forward, smell. Look. Villagers, scampering, moving to get to a place, not to move. There is no leisure in their stride. They know where they are. Except them. Elf. Some kind of elf. Dozens of kinds, couldn't know what kind in particular. No armor. Looks frail. Another elf? Less elf like. Half-breed, maybe. This one has armor. Weapons. No one else here has had weapons, except for... the orc. No other orcs around here except for it, so far, and there it is, standing tall and strong. Leather. Shield. Axe. Nasty axe. And... and another elf. Too many elves. Is there a gathering of elves? Are the elves here to mess up an orc? No, that'd be stupid. They'd do it be ambush, maybe. No, they're too equipped. They're scattering. And reforming, and entering a house. They're in there. Longer in there than elsewhere. Maybe... maybe they're here for the merchant job as well.

Urnin undoes her scarf, loosening it from her head, and letting it fall around her neck. She does her bow's string and places it in its sling on her back, and makes her way across town to the house the four of them entered. She'd try and weasel for food, a bed. Its been a long while since she had a good pair of those. Not since the sands. This place was too cold for her. She knocked once, twice, thrice, and waited. She swept her hair back, straightened up, and waited. She took off her gloves, wiped her face, and waited.
    Just finding my roots again.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Jaluk

The young rogue wasn't particularly impressed with the town of Oakhurst. The word 'town' is being generous. Still and all, doesn't have to be a bustling metropolis for there to be opportunity, he muses. He stopped at the Old Boar Inn for a little refreshment and couldn't help but notice everyone's tension. "Say old-timer." he says to a wizened old farmer after a couple drinks. "Some trouble around here? I may be able to help. I'm Jaluk the Nimble. Noted doer of daring deeds." The old man snorts and replies that if the young little braggart thought he had what it took he'd run off to the Sunless Citadel after the missing fools like Kerowyn Hucrele was hiring for.

"Sunless Citadel, huh? Sounds promising. Thanks old-timer." Jaluk says, tossing the old man a silver. "Where do I find this Kerowyn Hucrele?"

A short time later, Jaluk walks up to the small mansion Looks like the nicest place in town. Good. No need for charity work he thinks. He sees a dusky woman with a bow already knocking at the door. "Ho there." He cheerfully hails. "I'm not too late am I?"

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

A man. Human. Smaller than her. Leather armor. Finesse weapons. Skirmisher? No, thief. Scoundrel. Paler, too. She glances back at the door. "You are. I waited until the other four entered. I did not wait long enough, apparently. Two elves, a half-elf, and an orc, in case you were wondering."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Jaluk

"Two and a half elves and an orc. Good. The more the merrier. If we're lucky I mean."His eyes look over the building. "Nice place, isn't it?"

21. - Top - End - #21

Urnin, Jaluk

A butler opens the door. "More adventurers, good, come in," he says. He leads you to a sitting room has five people in it, one, a well-dressed human woman of about forty, sitting facing the other four.

Suga, Remi, Kieryian, Aramil

Before Kerowyn can speak again, the butler comes back with two new arrivals.
    Last edited by Kish; 2015-06-11 at 10:27 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

As they walk in, Urnin speaks to Jaluk, in a whisper. "Two and a half elves? Does that make this group two and a half humans as well?" She stares at the woman, meeting any gaze thrown, as she enters with the thief. "Urnin. Archer. What have we missed?"

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

That... is the biggest, ugliest orc I've ever seen. Looks like he could tear me in half with a flick of his wrist., he marvels. The elfier types looked competent enough as well.

"Hello all. Miss Hucrele. Jaluk the Quick at your service." He says with a small bow.

24. - Top - End - #24

Suga sat back down when the host did. When the two new arrivals come in he gazes at each while they in turn took notice of those already assembled. Urnin the archer, very useful for dealing with distant goblins while I deal with the close ones. Jaluk he says... seemed intimidated when he looked my way. The Quick? That will be an interesting challenge.

He nods at both from his chair. "Hello. Miss Hucrele was just telling us of a tribe of goblins nearby among ruins causing trouble. Some of her family went to recon but haven't returned.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25

DwarfBarbarianGuy

The viper has coiled around her arm and it seems to be sleeping with his head laid down on the back of her hand. It could pass for a well made piece of jewelry since it doesn't seem to move at all. Only when Jaluk and and Urnin enter its eyes spring open and slowly close again as Remi scratches the back of its head softly.

26. - Top - End - #26

The woman smiles welcomingly at the new arrivals. "Yes, thank you. I am Kerowyn Hucrele, and as Suga says, I'm hoping to hire a group of adventurers to rescue two of my siblings, who went to a local ruin inhabited by goblins and have not returned."

She looks at Aramil and says, "If you can bring back my siblings intact, I'm willing to pay you two hundred and fifty gold pieces each, for each of them. If--if they're dead, you'll know their bodies by the gold signet rings they were wearing, like mine." She holds up her ring finger to display the signet ring in question. "I'll pay half as much, one hundred and twenty-five gold pieces each, for the signet rings and knowledge that they're not coming back."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Jaluk

Five hundred alive, two fifty dead. Not bad. Let's hope they're alive for a couple different reasons.

"My lady, that seems like a generous price and excellent cause. What are their names and descriptions, if I could inquire?" He asks.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Kieryian wouldn't pretend that the offered gold didn't hold a certain appeal, and he was not unmoved by the matron's desire to learn the condition of her erstwhile kin, though he was drawn to this quest at least as much by the opportunity to explore this ruin. Sure it had only been cast down a couple centuries ago, not a terribly long time in the eyes of an elf, but who new what lost lore may be buried in this Sunless Citadel. "The quest is noble and the price is fair. I too will accept this contract." He states, standing and nodding towards the tardy human who first offered his services. "A description of their appearance would be most helpful, as well as any details about who else journeyed with them."

29. - Top - End - #29

Suga

"I've been on the wrong side of goblin raids and ambushes. It will be good to take the fight to them! I'm in. It's obvious what I bring to a fight. Not so obvious of others- what can you do in a fight? Don't want someone who will run at the first sight of blood."
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30

While Aramil showed no outward reaction to the reward, his heart felt like it leaped with joy. For a poor thief like he used to be, that sum was almost impossible to earn, save for an incredibly lucky pickpocket attempt or a gullible scam target. People with that kind of money tended to want retribution. Hopefully I can keep finding jobs like these.

"I concur with most of the others as far as the price, but one last question, do you happen to any have any of these magic apples or even one of those shrubs? I sure between the six of us we might be able to discern something from one.

Aramil turns to Suga. "As far as a fight, I'm sure my rapier or bow will be enough to contribute. If not, I happen to be an Illusionist of no small regard". After a brief pause, he adds "My name is Aramil, by the way. Aramil Galondel."
    Online gaming stuff
    Spoiler
    Show