New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground
    Default Running a typical campaign

Oookay, this is gonna sound weird, but I've been playing DnD for about 5 years now and I have almost always been the DM. Problem is, being the huge fan of writers like Harln Elisson, Michael Moorcock and Ocassionally Grant Morisson that I am, I have never run a standard campaign.

Sure I;ve done end of-the-world, parallel realities, time paradox, alien invasion and horror stories, but never a purely sword and sorcery one with standard magic.

I've always thought of it as a bit boring, m'self. But now I wanna give it a try. Can anybody give me any handy advice on magic item distribution, power, etc?
    What are those charming fellows over there, seargeant? Look at them, running at us, and shooting gleefully! Charming young fellows I say!&& && They are the enemy sir...

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Running a typical campaign

Take a look at the Wealth by Level guidelines in the DMG (and item-level suggestions from Magic Item Compendium if you have that), they should give you a pretty good idea of what is appropriate and when.
    All Yours Popcorn are belongs to me truly,
    LLS

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

The chart I refer to most is the expected wealth-gain by level chart. With this in tow, I make sure my PC's get the appropriate amount as they level. This is especially important due to the fact that I DM for 10 people.

However, sword+magic campaigns are never boring if you make them properly. Put enough political intrigue in with the hack+slash, and you've got yourself some happy PC's.
    Druid-Ninjatar by the sensuous Serpentine.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Consider getting your hands on the Greyhawk Gazetteer and using the Free Downloadable Dungeons & Dragons Adventures from the Wizards Website.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)