New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 19 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 548
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default [PF] Giantslayers of Bloodmarch Hill In Character Thread

    The sun is setting on another blazing day in Trunau, the heat compounded around you by the myriad torches ornamenting the town's amphitheater. Their oil-stenched flames add another layer of heaviness to the air, but the gathered townspeople pay it absolutely no heed. It is a night of celebration, and none of the small pains of their frontier living will dampen their spirits tonight. Upon the stage before the congregation is Chief Defender Halgra of the Blackened Blades, ready to bestow upon her youngest daughter the honor of the hopeknife. Even in her advanced age, the town's leader cuts an imposing figure, and even this joyous occasion can only barely force this stoic woman's grizzled face into a smile. Still, one is present, so you know that the pride beating within her chest must be immense. Alongside Halgra stand the two Patrol Captains and local celebrities, Rodrik and Kurst Grath, who both make much fewer qualms than their superior about beaming from ear to ear. Even had they not been twins, their relatedness would be easy to determine with just a quick inspection of each of their faces like that. Standing across from them stands the cause for the night's festivities, Ruby. She stands squarely in profile, eyes locked on her mother to avoid seeing as much of the crowd as she can manage. Her fingers are interwoven in front of her, and her hands are clasped so tightly together that her already pale skin grows more so. The flush of color on her face, visible even in the flickering yellow light of the torches, shows just how out of her element the night's proceedings are leaving her, unlike the easy stances of the adults officiating her rites.

    The crowd grows restless as they have waited impatiently for this moment the entire day. Trade at the Barterstones was closed early today to make the necessary preparations for the evening with the townspeople offering to put up any extra potential revelers for free that evening, though there were few willing to risk staying even with such a gracious offer. The many farmers took the day off entirely instead, milling casually about inside the town walls and adding further to the air of anticipation that was building all day. Now the moment was upon them and their chattering could not seem to cease for an instant. Halgra's outstretched palms as she turns to face them instead of her daughter prove otherwise, however. The onlookers all know that the sooner these formalities are commenced, the sooner the festivities will too. This along with their profound respect for Halgra lead them to cooperate without any further prodding from her. Though she normally allows the brothers to officiate over these hopeknife ceremonies while she stands by presiding over them, the Chief Defender herself looks ready to speak for this particularly special coming of age.

    Spoiler: NPC Portraits
    Show
    Spoiler: Halgra
    Show
    Spoiler: Rodrik Grath
    Show
    Spoiler: Kurst Grath
    Show
    Last edited by Amazo; 2015-06-07 at 10:56 PM.
    Yves Talbot, bard extraordinaire, avatar by Ishmi and the King's Men on Facebook.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2015

    Default Re: [PF] Giantslayers of Bloodmarch Hill In Character Thread

    Hanzi bids his dwarf friends farewell and heads into the town of Trunau. He had no idea the weather would be so much hotter here than in Magnimar, which was continually cooled by the ocean breeze. Still, he felt at peace knowing that even though the sun was setting, it would rise again tomorrow to dispel the darkness. He was always reminded of the darkness of the Irespan at sunset, and while at times he yearned for his strange home, most of the time he was glad to be rid of it. He tried to walk around the city, but the crowds and guards kept directing him back towards the town amphitheater. Some event was happening, and no one would hear his assurances of Sarenrae this day. At least until this ceremony was over. He watched the elderly woman with curiosity, wondering if his own people had a similar ceremony, one that he had been robbed of. The young woman also interested him, and he noticed that she seemed to be one who hid from the light. "Perhaps she would come around," he said to no one in particular, which got some sidelong glances. He just shrugged, his scale mail jingling with the motion. He looked about for people of faith, noticing them somewhat absent from the ceremony taking place, and surmised that this ceremony must be more personal than spiritual. He again, found himself wondering about the customs of his own people. What had they been like?

    Summarily lost in his own thought, he did a double-take as he saw a...man? The big guy seemed to be as tall as a horse, and built to be able to lift one, possibly with one arm even. Hanzi knew it wasn't polite to stare, but he couldn't help but try to size up the guy. "I would never be able to lay low such a man, without Sarenrae's aid." He said outloud, then clapped a hand over his mouth. "That's the baker's child, isn't it?" One of the villagers watching Hanzi said to him. "Best steer clear." Hanzi nodded, and refocused on the ceremony. He watched the old woman begin to gather her thoughts to speak, and relaxed slightly.
    My Characters

    Alaniel (Retired) Bob "O-Matic" Kern (Fallout) Hanzi Ivarisky (Giantslayer)

    Games I'm running
    Runelords


  3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas, again!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] Giantslayers of Bloodmarch Hill In Character Thread

    Deurn's mother never could get over her discomfort of crowds. Throughout the morning, as the villagers frantically hurried to finish their day's work in preparation for the coming ceremony, the hustle and bustle at the barterstones became busier and more frustrating to her. Though she tried to hide it, her temper rose steadily until midday. Deurn's placating demeanor perhaps took the edge off of his mother's irritability with their ample customers. Odd. She's always most upset when we're making the most money... he wondered to himself, as the morning wore on.

    When the bartering was officially ended for the day just after midday, the sudden dispersion of the crowds brought a complete change of mood for his small family. Whether good or ill, there would be no more baking or milling this day, and his mother quickly fell into a wooden chair, eshausted from the effort of dealing with so many people. When she fell asleep at the lunch table, Deurn smiled to himself, ruefully. "You push yourself so hard for us, mother. I wish you would relax, just a little," he whispers, as he carries his mother to her bed. Amazed at her perceived frailty and weakness, he gently cradles her slight frame, and lays her down to rest. Patting her head with deliberate tenderness, he decides to spend his afternoon enjoying the air of anticipation.

    ******
    In the streets and byways, Deurn walks slowly, easily keeping pace with the humans around him- despite their seemingly frantic strides. At the sights of their modest decorations, his excitement only heightens- he's seen the ceremony several times before, having received his own hopeknife just over twenty years hence. He finds a place against a wall at the back of the crowd- easily seeing over the heads of the tallest of the other villagers. Looking up to the dais, he muses aloud in his deep, stony voice, "She looks so young- has she already reached her dozen years?" At the nods and polite smiles- some slightly condescending, some knowing- he grunts softly. "Seems just yesterday, we were celebrating her birth..."

    He settles himself, standing silent sentinel over the proceedings, comfortable as he waits for the ceremony to end and the festivities to begin.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] Giantslayers of Bloodmarch Hill In Character Thread

    Mickiel watches the scene quietly from the edge of the crowd, apparently finding the close quarters uncomfortable. Smiling and watching quietly he waits expectantly for the ceremony to begin. As he notes the familiar faces in the crowd he recognizes Deurn, standing head and shoulders above the rest, and waves. Scanning the rest he notes a new face - that of a Shoanti man wearing scale mail. "Hmmm...I wonder who that is. He isn't from around here..." he says, just loudly enough for those near him to hear.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    KevSaund's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] Giantslayers of Bloodmarch Hill In Character Thread

    Cawdor wanders through the outskirts of town. He isn't looking for anything in particular, just enjoying being away from the hustle and bustle. Occasionally a stranger will enquire to his presence, and why he seems to be so far from the action of the ceremony. "Must have got turned around" he'll say and abruptly change course. After a while, and not wanting to seem too suspicious, he begins following the crowds. He knows asking what is about to happen will just make him look foolish, so he just watches and listens from the edge of the shadows, waiting for the meaning to reveal itself.
    Last edited by KevSaund; 2015-06-09 at 08:09 PM.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: [PF] Giantslayers of Bloodmarch Hill In Character Thread

    Of the few outsiders in attendance, one more is of particular importance to the proceedings, though he would not know it yet. He is a most curious bard by the name of Toulorian Rouche. His confident swagger, charming smile, and agile maneuvers within the crowd all point to his one primary motivation for the evening: to experience the townsfolks' famed open arms and open beds. This, however, is not the case. Rouche is a self-styled collector of tales, particularly ones starring himself, and to his eventual delight, he has quite a story in store for him starting this very evening.

    Nevertheless, despite the curiosities of some of the onlookers, the ceremony continues unperturbed. Halgra pulls down the neck of her own shirt to reveal two hopeknives dangling from two silver chains there. She unclasps one from her neck as she begins a clearly practiced but no less heartfelt speech. “Thank you all for joining us this night. I take immense pride in my responsibility as Chief Defender, especially when it comes to the honor of the hopeknife ceremony. It is always a great privilege to bequeath Trunauan youths their hopeknives as they come of age.” Halgra stops speaking long enough to produce and open an
    ornamental case from a belt pouch and lay the hopeknife atop its padded interior.

    “But tonight is a special occasion, for the recipient of this hopeknife is none other than my youngest daughter.” Once again, Halgra pauses, but this time she turns back to talk to the child beside her. “Ruby, by the traditions of our town, you have come of age. This hopeknife represents your responsibilities as an adult and defender of Trunau. You must be willing to use it on yourself, your fellow Trunauans, and your family—even me, should it come to that. It will be a far quicker death than that which the orcs will offer, and providing it is your duty. Do you swear to guard Trunau from all comers, and to use your hopeknife only for its intended purpose?”

    Ruby—dusky skinned, black haired, and evidently painfully shy—nods her head in response to her mother’s question.“If the orcs come, and there is no other option, this is where you cut—here, here, and here.” Halgra demonstrates which arteries to sever on herself while Ruby watches. "The neck, to silence the voice and rob them of the pleasure of our screams. The wrists, to bear the stigmata of our cause willingly. The legs, to hold your ground and never run even until the end." When she is finished, Halgra sheathes the hopeknife again and places the necklace around Ruby’s neck before turning back to address the crowd.

    “Tonight, Ruby becomes a full member of our community! Let us welcome her, and celebrate her passage into adulthood! Trunau forever!” The crowd echoes Halgra’s last words in unison, signaling the formal end of the ceremony. Despite this, the officials on stage do not climb down while the crowd begins to chatter and grow restless once again. A few of additional guards take the stage, their builds as intimidatingly broad as Halgra's force of personality makes her seem. They carry with them a length of rope with one end wrapped around each of their wrists in sequence. The Graths take the other end and pass it to Ruby before taking their place alongside their men opposing her. She looks like a shivering leaf about to be blown by a stiff of breeze standing alone on her side of the stage.

    Taking the attention back to himself, Rodrik Grath addresses the crowd even as a look of mock determination lights his features. His stance and those of his cohorts make it look like they're willing to rip Ruby from her feet with a single strong yank of the rope in her hands. "Now, Ruby, the guard has a question for you! Are you strong enough to defend Trunau?" With a pause and a audible wink in his voice, he inclines his head to the crowd and mentions matter-of-factly, "I think this seems fair, don't you?" The crowd's reaction is split between laughter and mock protest at the situation.

    "We people of Trunau stand together in all things. I will not stand alone tonight, but I hardly know who should stand with me." Ruby's response is as practiced as her mothers, but the crowd needs to fall almost silent to hear her breathless voice, which they do obligingly. Her words are clearly false as her head immediately turns to Deurn, standing head and shoulder above everyone even at the back of the theater. She raises a shaking arm to point him out and give a crooked finger to tell him to come aid her. From there, her choices do seem more truly random as she whips her neck back and forth, scanning the crowd with her eyes and a limp arm. By chance, she selects Mickiel, Cawdor, Hanzi, and Toulorian to join her alongside Deurn. With her selections made, she waits patiently, in spite of the cheering crowd, for her summoned allies to respond.
    Last edited by Amazo; 2015-06-30 at 11:17 AM.
    Yves Talbot, bard extraordinaire, avatar by Ishmi and the King's Men on Facebook.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] Giantslayers of Bloodmarch Hill In Character Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Amazo View Post
    "We people of Trunau stand together in all things. I will not stand alone tonight, but I hardly know who should stand with me."

    By chance, she selects Mickiel, Cawdor, Hanzi, and Toulorian to join her alongside Duern. With her selections made, she waits patiently, in spite of the cheering crowd, for her summoned allies to respond.
    Surprised at being chosen, Mickiel nods at Ruby and smiles as he makes his way up to the stage. Looking at the men and how they have the rope wrapped around their arms he does the same, placing himself near the end of the rope and saying, "Are we going to pull?"

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas, again!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] Giantslayers of Bloodmarch Hill In Character Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Amazo View Post
    ..."but I hardly know who should stand with me." Ruby's response is as practiced as her mothers, but the crowd needs to fall almost silent to hear her breathless voice, which they do obligingly. Her words are clearly false as her head immediately turns to Duern, standing head and shoulder above everyone even at the back of the theater. She raises a shaking arm to point him out and give a crooked finger to tell him to come aid her.
    Deurn smiles, as he steps forward to take his semi-traditional role beside the newest member of the community. He rolls his shoulders, to loosen the knots that have developed from leaning against the building. As the druid's apprentice is chosen, he smiles knowingly at the man's brawny strength. Then, a few- outsiders? are chosen? "The girl is truly choosing at random?" he mutters under his breath, as he takes the stage. At the sight of a few of the newcomers, he nods approvingly. With a welcoming grin, and the extension of a huge- meaty hand he assists them to take their own places on the rope.

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    Surprised at being chosen, Mickiel nods at Ruby and smiles as he makes his way up to the stage. Looking at the men and how they have the rope wrapped around their arms he does the same, placing himself near the end of the rope and saying, "Are we going to pull?"
    Deurn's chuckles deeply as his gravelly voice responds. "With arms like yours, you expected to sit this out?" He nods in response the question. "I suppose you've fewer of these than I..." he muses. He pulls the collected individuals to the side, and whispers in a huddle. "It's traditional to allow the newcomer to take the front position- and milk it a little, this is more show than test."

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2015

    Default Re: [PF] Giantslayers of Bloodmarch Hill In Character Thread

    Hanzi's scale mail jingles as he shifts his weight when being chosen. He has had many eyes on him before when speaking, but he usually had to call attention to himself through other, flashier means. He reveals his holy symbol as he walks to the stage. "'Tis not me she picks, but Sarenrae." He looks up at Deurn and accepts the big man's help getting up on the stage, but pulls against him making it clear he has some strength, even if it is less than the hulking form before him. "I take it you have done this before." He says to Deurn. He pauses, listening to Deurn, sees his hopeknife, then addresses Ruby. "You have chosen wisely, but your strength is still expected. I believe, given what little I know of your mother, that there is plenty within you. It's time to show that strength, like the sun breaking through the clouds! And you have undoubtedly seen Deurn perform this ritual before? Then there should be no question as to the outcome. Unless something else troubles you?"
    My Characters

    Alaniel (Retired) Bob "O-Matic" Kern (Fallout) Hanzi Ivarisky (Giantslayer)

    Games I'm running
    Runelords


  10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2015

    Default Re: [PF] Giantslayers of Bloodmarch Hill In Character Thread

    Toulorian looks up from the two young, giggling ladies he had been sharing one of his favorite stories with, just in time to see the young lady on stage point in his direction. Ah fair citizens of Trunau! As you are all well aware, very few things could pull me away from such a lovely audience as this; however, it would appear that this lovely young damsel is in distress. And obviously she is well aware of my amazing feats of extraordinary accomplishment, and would now ask me to come to her aid. In fact, I am well versed in such demonstrations of strength having taught this game to the wild tribes of half ogres in the far off lands of Gulthwap! They found it most enjoyable. But that is a story for another day. Come hearty gentlemen and let us win the day for this precious young maiden's honor." Toulorian approaches the stage, then waits for the large man to offer his assistance. You young men over there. Do not judge this young lady harshly. For NOW you are clearly outmatched!
    Spoiler: My Characters
    Show

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] Giantslayers of Bloodmarch Hill In Character Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    "With arms like yours, you expected to sit this out?

    It's traditional to allow the newcomer to take the front position- and milk it a little, this is more show than test.
    "
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrock76 View Post
    Come hearty gentlemen and let us win the day for this precious young maiden's honor."
    After smiling bashfully at the enormous man's words, Mickiel then looks confused at the flamboyant man's directions. "So...are we pulling hard or not?" When he gets no clear answer over the noise of the crowd he shrugs and gives it his best.

    Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Strength Check (1d20+4)[24]

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    KevSaund's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] Giantslayers of Bloodmarch Hill In Character Thread

    Cawdor hesitates. He wasn't looking for any attention. Yet he watches as the others begin moving toward the stage. A whisper in his ear say "Join them." He strains to keep from whipping his head around to see where the voice comes from, but he already knows. He quickly rushes to join the others, taking hold of the rope. Once he has a firm grip he looks back, and sees only shadows.
    Last edited by KevSaund; 2015-06-12 at 08:22 PM.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas, again!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] Giantslayers of Bloodmarch Hill In Character Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JBrock76 View Post
    Come hearty gentlemen and let us win the day for this precious young maiden's honor."[/COLOR] Toulorian approaches the stage, then waits for the large man to offer his assistance. You young men over there. Do not judge this young lady harshly. For NOW you are clearly outmatched!
    Deurn looks at the man with a mixture of confusion and annoyance. "Ehhh... What?"

    As he joins the impromptu huddle, the half-giant whispers, "It's mostly for show, mister. But do try to not lose, I'd be horribly embarrassed." he adds with a smirk.

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    "So...are we pulling hard or not?"
    Deurn nods at the man, but thinks twice. "Yes- but maybe not first. Make sure it's worth watching; there's a lot of folks out there what came to see this."

    He takes the spot at the back of the rope, and tightly wraps the rope around his hand. With a wink for the twins on the other side of the rope, he sets his feet. For several seconds, he feigns like they aren't able to keep pulling, when he suddenly finds himself holding a slack line, due to Mickiel's efforts. In surprise and shock, he scowls a little to himself. Shrugging, he shifts his weight to his back foot and draws the rope behind his companion.

    Spoiler: Str check
    Show
    I'm guessing this will functionally be an "assist other," since Mick rolled so high:
    (1d20+5)[16]

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2015

    Default Re: [PF] Giantslayers of Bloodmarch Hill In Character Thread

    Hanzi grabs the rope and doesn't let go, then simply leans back, using his weight and his armor to add to the pull the other side now needs, anchoring the rope to make it yet easier for Mickiel to pull. He starts stepping backwards as the rope moves back towards the druid.
    Last edited by Shadowsend; 2015-06-12 at 10:16 PM.
    My Characters

    Alaniel (Retired) Bob "O-Matic" Kern (Fallout) Hanzi Ivarisky (Giantslayer)

    Games I'm running
    Runelords


  15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: [PF] Giantslayers of Bloodmarch Hill In Character Thread

    Deurn speaks truly about allowing newcomers to lead: Ruby makes way for Hanzi, Cawdor, and Toulorian to take point on the rope, never letting her eyes stray from the man once he begins his speech. When she feels Deurn gingerly offer her her length of rope, she snaps back into the moment, remembers the rush of the crowd around her, and promptly flushes a deeper crimson than before. Nevertheless, she seems determined when she sets her eyes towards the opposing team, her lips pulled tight in a grimace Deurn and Mickiel find reminiscent of her mother. Those two quickly fall in behind her with Deurn's anchoring position at the end seeming an obvious choice. He has to lean quite low forward to avoid pulling everyone else's resting position of the rope higher, but he makes due.

    The crowd roars for the struggle to commence and arouses an instinctual yank from deep within Mickiel, catching both his team and their rivals off-guard. With but a split-second to recuperate the Grath's lean back in unison almost horizontally as if trying to reign in a wild mount refusing to be yoked while their lesser known allies scramble to contribute with them. Ruby, Cawdor, and Toulorian each take Deurn's advice seriously. They do not completely try to win immediately, but quickly have to readjust their tactics in the light of the actual fierce contest that Mickiel had accidentally made the event. In the end, the Graths can't hope to legitimately outmatch a team of actual adults with their allies barely being past their own hopeknife ceremonies, especially with Deurn's natural leverage opposing them. After a solid minute of true exertion, the Grath's lie completely flat on the wood of the stage before being forcefully dragged across it, skidding their heads lightly on the boards and laughing the whole way as your team tows their's a few steps for good measure. They jump to their feet almost in unison to take turns shaking Ruby's hand then all of yours. The rest of their team follows suit as the crowd is split between laughter and a chanting of Ruby's name that gradually encompasses the whole lot of them.

    Kurst and his fellow guards turn to leave and let her relish the moment, but Rodrik decides he hasn't had enough fun. Hoisting the girl onto his shoulders before tossing her to the crowd. Although a risky stunt, the people know exactly what to do and begin shuffling her atop them towards one of the other carnival-style games set up around the town's square. Though their attention is no longer on you, the villagers' enthusiasm is infectious, and its hard not to want to join in the merrymaking. Still, you've been freed to attend to your own devices, but the night is young, as they say.
    Last edited by Amazo; 2015-06-30 at 11:18 AM.
    Yves Talbot, bard extraordinaire, avatar by Ishmi and the King's Men on Facebook.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2015

    Default Re: [PF] Giantslayers of Bloodmarch Hill In Character Thread

    Ahh fantastically done good fellows! Your support was most welcome. Clearly I should have joined the other team to have evened up the match, but for now let us join this rowdy bunch of revelers. Clearly, as this young maiden's chosen champions, we shall enjoy the cheers and admiration of these fine folk. I shall endeavor to share a portion of the attention with each of you as we all share in a barrel of fine wine! Toulorian leaps off the platform and begins to follow the crowd. He looks around, then quickly joins a group of high-spirited townsfolk.
    Spoiler: My Characters
    Show

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2015

    Default Re: [PF] Giantslayers of Bloodmarch Hill In Character Thread

    "Well, you two made quick work of that 'challenge'." Hanzi says to the two rather large men still on the stage. "And I see someone is already attempting to claim more than his share of glory. Ah well." Hanzi sighs a bit, and introduces himself to Deurn and Mickiel, and anyone else still on stage. "My name is Hanzi Ivarisky. Sarenrae granted me hope even before I knew her under the perpetual darkness of the Irespan, and she led me here to spread that hope. If I can be of service, one simply has to ask, and Dawnflower permitting, I will do what I can."

    "Now perhaps I can see about getting some help removing this armor." Hanzi steps down to join the revelers, especially of the available female persuasion. He is careful not to drink much however, given that he has rites to observe in the morning and is committed to rising to do so.
    My Characters

    Alaniel (Retired) Bob "O-Matic" Kern (Fallout) Hanzi Ivarisky (Giantslayer)

    Games I'm running
    Runelords


  18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    KevSaund's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] Giantslayers of Bloodmarch Hill In Character Thread

    Cawdor brightens up at the mention of free wine. He turns to those left on stage and introduces himself. Greetings! That was fun! Am I to understand that is something all the adults here in town have gone though? I'm fairly new to town myself, but would love to learn more about your traditions. Maybe there is somewhere we could discuss them, perhaps over a beverage? He waits hopefully for a response, perhaps from the larger one, he seems to know the most about what's been happening.
    Last edited by KevSaund; 2015-06-14 at 07:08 AM.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas, again!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] Giantslayers of Bloodmarch Hill In Character Thread

    Deurn prepares to follow the girl's wake through the crowd, when one of the newcomers asks a question.

    Quote Originally Posted by KevSaund View Post
    Greetings! That was fun! Am I to understand that is something all the adults here in town have gone though? I'm fairly new to town myself, but would love to learn more about your traditions. Maybe there is somewhere we could discuss them, perhaps over a beverage?
    Assuming the question is more asked of him than the others, he turns to the man. Nodding, he begins speaking in his deep voice, "It is, indeed." He pulls aside the split of his shirt to reveal his own hope knife. "One of many lessons learned over the decades of violence is that death is something to be claimed on your own terms. When raids happen, the orcs will not take pity on anyone they view as an 'adult.' Occasionally, they leave children alone, and as such, they have little need for it, but the rest of us- well, we need to be ready to ensure that our deaths come swiftly and relatively painlessly. If you don't mind waiting for one last bit of presentation from the twins, the mead and ale should be flowing freely soon."

    He guides the man in the direction of Ruby's movement, smiling and clasping hands as he passes congratulatory townspeople.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] Giantslayers of Bloodmarch Hill In Character Thread

    Mickiel smiles bashfully as the ceremonial challenge ends in victory for the party chosen by Ruby. "I'm sorry, you all didn't seem to be ready! At least we won, though, right?" When the others step off the stage he finds himself swept up in the crowd and guided towards the rest of the celebration. Hearing the scale-wearing man request help he stops for a moment to help him with the hard-to-reach straps before saying, "Are you going to join us for something to eat and drink? I haven't seen you in town before, though I have only been here for some few months. Come on!" Turning to rejoin the crowd, he whistles tunelessly, earning a couple of stares from the crowd but paying no mind.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: [PF] Giantslayers of Bloodmarch Hill In Character Thread

    It is not difficult to find food or drink to partake in during tonight's festivities. An arm with an extended vessel is a welcome addition to virtually any of the smaller groups forming out of the townspeople. Whether it will be filled with wine, ale, or cider from a keg, barrel, or a personal bottle is difficult to say: the drink flows freely. Similarly, myriad home-cooked recipes have been brought to a potluck of sorts near where the game stalls have been set up. A banquet table long enough for royalty has been cobbled together from an assortment of styles of tables to contain the outpouring of support from the community. Best yet, there doesn't seem to be a spoon of siegestone spew in the whole lot, as Deurn and Mickiel have seen Rodrik jokingly add to the spread in the past.

    Anyone splitting off to experience the sights, smells, and sounds of the food and the people enjoying it find Rodrik to be a ubiquitous presence that night. He seems to find time to mingle and laugh heartily with every group of friends and neighbors you run in to at least once, and despite having taken in enough alcohol to fell a small horse, he seems to be walking tall, cheeks only a tinge rosier for his trouble. He seems as much the man of the hour as Ruby is supposed to be, but the Trunaun natives amongst you know this to be the case at nearly every gathering. He is constantly receiving questions about when his latest poem or play will be finished or when he would finally stop playing coy and find someone to marry or how many orcs does he think he's slain since joining the guard and other things along those lines. Even with the flattery from the citizens of Trunauns, proud to call him one of their own, he remains relatively humble in the face of all the attention, deflecting the more personal requests with humor and sharp wit.
    Last edited by Amazo; 2015-06-30 at 11:18 AM.
    Yves Talbot, bard extraordinaire, avatar by Ishmi and the King's Men on Facebook.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas, again!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] Giantslayers of Bloodmarch Hill In Character Thread

    Deurn enjoys the evening, often in the company of one or more of the newcomers. He drinks more than most, but weighs enough for three of them, and isn't seriously effected. As the evening and night wane, he settles into a comfortable silence- listening to the discussion around him rather than participating. Eyes closed, but too excited to sleep, he props his huge feet up on a bench to listen and relax, while his newfound friends enjoy the dregs of their evening.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2015

    Default Re: [PF] Giantslayers of Bloodmarch Hill In Character Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    Hearing the scale-wearing man request help he stops for a moment to help him with the hard-to-reach straps before saying,
    Not expecting any men to assist, Hanzi doesn't immediately turn around when he feels his armor straps come loose."Miss, I know this is a party, but there's no need to be quite so for...ward?!" As Hanzi turns, his armor falls off, revealing his bare back and chest with two tattoos, one a tribal bird motif, and the other a sinister marking of some sort. He sees Mickiel and then immediately steps back, bumping into another partier. He scoops up his armor, and pack, and begins putting the armor in the pack. "Oh, uh, thank you..."

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    "Are you going to join us for something to eat and drink? I haven't seen you in town before, though I have only been here for some few months. Come on!"
    "I won't turn down food, but need to keep some of my wits about me so that I might rise tomorrow morning. And yes, I just got here today."

    Hanzi begins thinking he might be better off around that boisterous fellow, but looks and cannot see him. "Do you see that glory hound anywhere?" he asks Mickiel.
    Last edited by Shadowsend; 2015-06-15 at 03:28 PM.
    My Characters

    Alaniel (Retired) Bob "O-Matic" Kern (Fallout) Hanzi Ivarisky (Giantslayer)

    Games I'm running
    Runelords


  24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2015

    Default Re: [PF] Giantslayers of Bloodmarch Hill In Character Thread

    The night becomes a blur of taverns and drinking, dances and songs, Toulorian makes his way from one gathering to the next. No matter where the night takes him, there is one mandatory stop he has to make, The Killin' Ground. Aside from being a tavern with some of the best moonshine in town, the proprietor, Rabus Clarenston, is a friend. Fortunately, the place is bustling with life. Fighting through the crowds worth a smile, Toulorian seeks out Rabus. Finding him behind the bar, frantically filing glass after glass, Toulorian waves him over. "Glad to see you finally working for a change!" he says with a friendly smile and a wink. "What say you to a bit of trade my friend? How about a few stories and a few songs for my food and lodging for the eve? You know I'll have this place roaring in no time!"

    Spoiler: Action
    Show
    Not sure if you would need a charisma check or not, but just in case (1d20+3)[17]
    Spoiler: My Characters
    Show

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] Giantslayers of Bloodmarch Hill In Character Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsend View Post
    "Miss, I know this is a party, but there's no need to be quite so for...ward?!

    Oh, uh, thank you..."
    Mickiel hands the man his fallen armor and apologizes, saying, "Oh, um, my mistake. I didn't know you were specifically asking for help from some of the ladies. Here you are..."

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsend View Post
    "Do you see that glory hound anywhere?" he asks Mickiel.
    Smiling in apparent relief Mickiel shrugs and then listens for a moment. "It sounds like he is over there, towards the Killin' Ground tavern." He then waves awkwardly and goes to sit quietly on the edge of the stage, smiling as he watches the townsfolk celebrate.

    When he sees Ruby he waves and bashfully smiles. Shrugging he flexes his arms and smirks, remembering how the rope-pulling went and looking hopefully at the young woman to see her reaction.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2015

    Default Re: [PF] Giantslayers of Bloodmarch Hill In Character Thread

    Hanzi goes over to join Toulorian in the revel-making, though he guards his cup from stray bottles and flasks being emptied into it. He gives a loud whoop when the bard starts telling another tall tale, and invites anyone who doesn't seem to yet have a partner to dance to whatever music is playing.
    My Characters

    Alaniel (Retired) Bob "O-Matic" Kern (Fallout) Hanzi Ivarisky (Giantslayer)

    Games I'm running
    Runelords


  27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    KevSaund's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] Giantslayers of Bloodmarch Hill In Character Thread

    Candor is a quiet drunk. He isn't particularly one for conversation but he loves to listen. As the evening turns to night he takes full advantage of the surplus of food, drink, and other people talking to soak up as much as he can. He doesn't look for secrets so much as the little details about what people do with their time. There are just so many things that people do, and he has missed out on most of them. Because of his tendency to stick to the shadows many don't even notice him. After a while the alcohol takes over his other faculties and the last thing he remembers is hoping to find a bed.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas, again!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] Giantslayers of Bloodmarch Hill In Character Thread

    Deurn joins in the revelry, more heartily than usual. Unsure what to think of his verbose new acquaintance, he asks the barkeep for more information. Surprised to hear that the young man's father was once close friends with Rabus, he spends most of the evening drinking, enjoying tales, and trying to decide exactly what he thinks of the bard.

    Ale is not conducive to trying to decide much of anything, and as a result, all he succeeds in deciding is that dancing with the young ladies of Trunau is fun, and that he should do it more often. He stumbles on his own feet, chairs, other dancer, and his own partner more than once, but fails to spoil the mood with his clumsiness. The eventual cessation of festivities finds him preparing to wander back home in the early morning hours- regardless of his wishes, most of the tavern's beds wouldn't hold him anyway.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: [PF] Giantslayers of Bloodmarch Hill In Character Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    When he sees Ruby he waves and bashfully smiles. Shrugging he flexes his arms and smirks, remembering how the rope-pulling went and looking hopefully at the young woman to see her reaction.
    A bit too young to quite pick up on Mickiel's joking flirtation, he manages to earn a smile and a mouthed, "Thank you," before another woman draws her attention back in. The older girl's eyes flick back to the sitting druid's direction every so often as she speaks to the guest of honor. Eventually, Ruby turns back towards Mickiel, beaming and waving for him to come over and join the two of them.

    Quote Originally Posted by KevSaund View Post
    Candor is a quiet drunk. He isn't particularly one for conversation but he loves to listen. As the evening turns to night he takes full advantage of the surplus of food, drink, and other people talking to soak up as much as he can. He doesn't look for secrets so much as the little details about what people do with their time. There are just so many things that people do, and he has missed out on most of them. Because of his tendency to stick to the shadows many don't even notice him. After a while the alcohol takes over his other faculties and the last thing he remembers is hoping to find a bed.
    In his search for a bed, Cawdor first stops at The Killin' Ground like so many of the local farmers not looking to walk back to their homesteads in their disheveled states. However, they seem to have beaten the young man to the punch. Luckily at that moment, Rodrik Grath manages to swoop in and offer his well-inebriated assistance. He knows for a fact that the Ramblehouse has a few openings for the night if only because it's a bit off the path from the town amphitheater. He offers to walk with him there as he has already rented himself a room too. As the two stumble to get there half supporting each other, half standing with their own weight, Cawdor just barely manages to make it into his room and onto the bed without any further assistance.

    Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    Deurn joins in the revelry, more heartily than usual. Unsure what to think of his verbose new acquaintance, he asks the barkeep for more information. Surprised to hear that the young man's father was once close friends with Rabus, he spends most of the evening drinking, enjoying tales, and trying to decide exactly what he thinks of the bard.

    Ale is not conducive to trying to decide much of anything, and as a result, all he succeeds in deciding is that dancing with the young ladies of Trunau is fun, and that he should do it more often. He stumbles on his own feet, chairs, other dancer, and his own partner more than once, but fails to spoil the mood with his clumsiness. The eventual cessation of festivities finds him preparing to wander back home in the early morning hours- regardless of his wishes, most of the tavern's beds wouldn't hold him anyway.
    Deurn returns to the relative quiet of his home unperturbed. He actually runs into Rodrik on the way home, who seems to be stumbling and supporting a similarly
    intoxicated friend on their way to the Ramblehouse. Though he can still hear the revellers outside and knows he likely will even through to the next morning, his mother has had no difficulty remaining asleep through the whole ordeal. The only evidence of her being inconvenienced by it all is the presence of the pillow over her ear as she rests on her side. Taking his cue, the half-giant settles down onto his own cot for a few hours of rest before helping his mother again whenever she wakes him.

    Quote Originally Posted by JBrock76 View Post
    The night becomes a blur of taverns and drinking, dances and songs, Toulorian makes his way from one gathering to the next. No matter where the night takes him, there is one mandatory stop he has to make, The Killin' Ground. Aside from being a tavern with some of the best moonshine in town, the proprietor, Rabus Clarenston, is a friend. Fortunately, the place is bustling with life. Fighting through the crowds worth a smile, Toulorian seeks out Rabus. Finding him behind the bar, frantically filing glass after glass, Toulorian waves him over. "Glad to see you finally working for a change!" he says with a friendly smile and a wink. "What say you to a bit of trade my friend? How about a few stories and a few songs for my food and lodging for the eve? You know I'll have this place roaring in no time!"
    Toulorian finds Rabus slinging drinks more adeptly than the thunderpipes of Alkenstar, but even so, the crowd is demanding and restless. At his question, Rabus' smile is so saccharinely sweet that it could drill holes through your teeth. "That's just what this town needs at a time like this!" he yells over another round of orders, though his face never moves to actually stop concentrating on his hands as they fly seamlessly between bottles and glasses. "Someone who can lead a jig worth a damn!" An impossible slow point presents itself in Rabus' brisk business, and he takes the moment to address Rouche face-to-face. "Tell you what: if the business I'm doing is any indication, you should be getting more than a few tips and free nourishment tonight. I'll give you a special rate if you do well, but a man in my trade knows better than to give something away for nothing." He extends a hand, shockingly dry despite his frantic pace and dealing in liquids.

    Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    You can make one Perform check to earn money today as if you were working for a week using the Profession skill (In other words, you'll earn half your check result in gold pieces.) You can attempt more than one type of Perform check for entertaining purposes, but you need to mark which Perform check is your moneymaker.


    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsend View Post
    Hanzi goes over to join Toulorian in the revel-making, though he guards his cup from stray bottles and flasks being emptied into it. He gives a loud whoop when the bard starts telling another tall tale, and invites anyone who doesn't seem to yet have a partner to dance to whatever music is playing.
    Rouche's skills being more suited to spinning yarns than playing music, Hanzi has to wait some time for the dancing to pick up properly. Before then, however, he is approached by a young lady inquiring about his curious introduction to the crowd earlier that evening. Though she learned of the name of Sarenrae from the local mission to Iomedae before tonight, she seems inquisitive as to why one would worship a deity of the sun in a place so scorched by it. Hanzi may see this as a test of sorts: the girl is fairly attractive and speaks intelligently despite the relatively plebian upbringing she must have had, but she seems to be approaching him only in his missionary capacity.
    Last edited by Amazo; 2015-06-30 at 11:18 AM.
    Yves Talbot, bard extraordinaire, avatar by Ishmi and the King's Men on Facebook.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2015

    Default Re: [PF] Giantslayers of Bloodmarch Hill In Character Thread

    "I'm pleasantly surprised to find one interested in the goddess on the first day here. Your question is rather intense, and speaks well to your surroundings. I can tell you from experience that Sarenrae's light does not reach all the places on our world, and being from an area so blessed with light, you would sorely miss the sun, should you enter into the blackness and coldness of the earth below for any considerable amount of time, as the dwarves do. Despite the heat, the sun brings to life much of your surroundings. The fields of farmers would be completely barren with no sunlight cast down upon them. Grasses would not grow, nor the beasts that feed on them. Time would become difficult to tell, and the starting or ending of the day would not be clear. And in the uncertainty, other feelings would begin to grow, not all of which are beautiful. One of the other reasons to value the sun, is in its renewal. After night ends, the sun rises and is the beginning of the day. The light of the sun does much to renew our spirits, and allows us to look forward to the day ahead. True it may be filled with work, but it is also filled with life. And on those days when work is paused, the light allows us to enjoy the life around us."
    Last edited by Shadowsend; 2015-06-17 at 11:12 PM.
    My Characters

    Alaniel (Retired) Bob "O-Matic" Kern (Fallout) Hanzi Ivarisky (Giantslayer)

    Games I'm running
    Runelords


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •