New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Feedback wanted on magic weapon

Hello

I am currently running the Princes of the Apocalypse campaign with my regular group. One of the players is a flail-wielding Paladin with the Murderer hook. The murderer also took his mentors flail, and the player/character of course wants it back. I'm estimating he gets it back between level 9-11. Here's what I have made for him so far:

Flail of Reckoning
    Magic weapon, very rare (requires attunement by a good-aligned paladin or cleric)

Originally crafted for a general in the demon army that invaded

Weapon die: 1d10 bludgeoning

Created to inflict as much pain as possible, this weapon deals critical damage on 19-20.

The mere impact of this weapon gives the wielder advantage on attempts to disarm an opponent.

Blessings of Tyr
    This weapon, having been blessed by Tyr, have 4 charges that recharge each day at dawn.

Whenever you use a spell slot to deal smite damage, you can expend 1 charge to make the flail flare with a bright light and deal an additional 3d8 radiant damage. Additionally, the target must succeed on a Constitution saving throw or be blinded until the end of your next turn.

While holding it, you can use an action to spend 1 charge to invoke the Benevolence of Tyr or 1 charge to incur the Wrath of Tyr. Once you have used one of theses abilities, neither can be used again until the next dawn.

Benevolence of Tyr: Healing energy radiates from you in an aura with a 30-foot radius. Until the spell ends (1 minute), the aura moves with you, centered on you. You can use a bonus action to cause one creature in the aura (including you) to regain 3d8+spellcasting modifier hit points.

Wrath of tyr: A vertical column of divine fire roars down from the heavens in a location you specify. Each creature in a 20-foot radius, 40-foot-high cylinder centered on a point within range must make a Dexterity saving throw. A creature takes 10d6 radiant damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

I don't want to give him something that's severely OP, but even less I want to give him something underpowered.. Any feeedback will be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Groggen; 2015-06-10 at 03:24 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Re: Feedback wanted on magic weapon

I'd say it's pretty OP at that level. At 9, fighters have on average 64 HP and can't even use multiattack; I use that fact for balance when homebrewing stuff. Honestly, making it a +2 flail, giving it 1d3 charges a day (max. 5) and allowing it to either add nd6 radiant damage to your damage roll when smiting or deal 1d10 radiant damage to all evil creatures within n 10-foot cubes of space would be appropriate for a magic item like this, if you still think a few powers like that would be cool. n=the amount of charges used for the power in question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xetheral View Post
    Sovereign Glue is, of course, made from Sovereigns. In a lawless area they can be quite rare. Fortunately, in a kingdom with clearly-defined rules of succession and no mandatory mourning period, Sovereigns are a renewable resource.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: Feedback wanted on magic weapon

Quote Originally Posted by darkscizor View Post
    I'd say it's pretty OP at that level. At 9, fighters have on average 64 HP and can't even use multiattack; I use that fact for balance when homebrewing stuff. Honestly, making it a +2 flail, giving it 1d3 charges a day (max. 5) and allowing it to either add nd6 radiant damage to your damage roll when smiting or deal 1d10 radiant damage to all evil creatures within n 10-foot cubes of space would be appropriate for a magic item like this, if you still think a few powers like that would be cool. n=the amount of charges used for the power in question.
    Thanks. Yeah, that's what I was worried about. I want to avoid the flat bonuses, so I tried giving it something with more flavour, but I will have to scale it down quite a bit then. I might make the abilities something that can unlock at higher levels instead, like a kind of Legacy weapon. Appreciate it :)