New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Ex skills

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Ex skills

My dm is thinking of doing this ex skill thing like in sword art and wants the player opinions he said they would function sort of like a quest and player that meets the criteria gets the skill. I was wanting the all knowing internets opinion. Im a ranger planing on becoming an assassin.
    GENERATION 19

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Ex skills

Quote Originally Posted by arixe View Post
    My dm is thinking of doing this ex skill thing like in sword art and wants the player opinions he said they would function sort of like a quest and player that meets the criteria gets the skill. I was wanting the all knowing internets opinion. Im a ranger planing on becoming an assassin.
    What system are we talking about? I don't know 'sword art', so I'm pretty confused. Is the DM proposing to add more skills that you can get by completing quests?
    Anyway, it all depends an awful lot of what kind of game you're playing. If it is (as I suspect) D&D 3.5, you should ask in the appropriate subforum.
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook

3. - Top - End - #3

Its 3.5 and its sao sword art online its a anime/manga
    GENERATION 19

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

So what is this "ex skill thing"? I'm not familiar with Sword Art Online. You need to go on a quest to gain a new skill or class or something?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maglubiyet View Post
    So what is this "ex skill thing"? I'm not familiar with Sword Art Online. You need to go on a quest to gain a new skill or class or something?
    As far as I remember they are special skills/abilities unique to the person, with the examples I remember being dual wielding and the ability to use a shield as a weapon.

They are interesting, but I prefer 'personal spells' (the same idea, but with magic) thanks to Fate/Stay Night and Unlimited Blade Works.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

6. - Top - End - #6

Interesting ill bring it up with him im pretty sure i posted this thread in the wrong place sorry about that new to the forum. Its like a unique passive ability. In sao its stuff like dual wielding and beast taming stuff
    Last edited by arixe; 2015-06-13 at 10:29 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    As far as I remember they are special skills/abilities unique to the person, with the examples I remember being dual wielding and the ability to use a shield as a weapon.
    In D&D, I think they call those "Feats". (This is for D&D, right?)
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

sounds like fighting game terminology.

But really without having any information about our game. it's hard to say anything at all.