New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default So when does a dragon stop being a dragon?

So last Friday during a planning session for an upcoming campaign, there was a rather lengthy disagreement between myself and one of the other guys in my group on, essentially, what is required to be a dragon (the disagreement was resolved upon finding an appropriate template, so this thread isn't about that. Template in question was the Feral Dragon template from the Advanced Bestiary for Pathfinder).

The position I held was that a dragon didn't have to be the super intelligent, highly magical creature that it seems that modern fantasy is pushing. In fact I really dislike the Machiavellian plotting, scheming kind of dragons (admittedly pulled from a few years of playing WoW and dealing with Onyxia's crap) and was aiming for less "clever magical fire breathing lizard" and more "scaled fiery engine of pyroclastic destruction", a creature that, on the base level, existed simply to burn and devour.

Essentially, the dragons from Reign of Fire.

My friend however insisted that the high intelligence and magical nature was outright essential for dragons being dragons (along with, ya know, the breath weapons, scales, natural weapons, etc). Take that away and you essentially have drakes, weaker and less intelligent than "true" dragons.

He was advocating for a more Smaug type dragon, or at least one right out of the Bestiary.

Anyway, I ask you GitP peoples, at what point does a dragon stop being a "dragon" and become something else? Like what can you add or take away before it stops being a dragon? Genuinely curious here.
    Last edited by Silus; 2015-06-14 at 05:23 PM.
    Awesome avatar by linklele
    "The Barrier World" Google Doc
    A post-post apocalyptic steampunk magitech Pathfinder setting.
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome avatar by Akrim.elf and Ceika

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: So when does a dragon stop being a dragon?

Sounds like he's played too much D&D and has no experience of wider contexts.

Drake is literally just an alternate spelling of Dragon. You can't have a 'mere drake, not a true dragon'. Unless you're talking about ducks that is.

A dragon can be anything.
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2015-06-14 at 05:19 PM.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Basically, when you change the spelling.

Otherwise, go nuts. I have dragons as the raw elemental powerhouses of the setting, with only as much intelligence as they had when human. It leads to a lot of smashed castles and desperate research into how dragons get their power (in short, a mixture between raw magical skill, a pact with the world, and lots of mana to jump start the transformation) as none have appeared on the supernatural radar since 1500 or so.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

Have your friend look at some medieval paintings of dragons.

Like these:

Spoiler
    Show

Notice the trend? Small, bestial, often quite pitiful looking.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Basically, when you change the spelling.

Otherwise, go nuts. I have dragons as the raw elemental powerhouses of the setting, with only as much intelligence as they had when human. It leads to a lot of smashed castles and desperate research into how dragons get their power (in short, a mixture between raw magical skill, a pact with the world, and lots of mana to jump start the transformation) as none have appeared on the supernatural radar since 1500 or so.
    The ones we were trying to make for the setting I'm running were like a mix between the dragons from Reign of Fire and the Monsterous Nightmare from How to Train Your Dragon. Essentially monstrous, self-immolating dragons that exist to burn and feed.

Luckily they're all stuck on an island a la Jurassic Park.
    Awesome avatar by linklele
    "The Barrier World" Google Doc
    A post-post apocalyptic steampunk magitech Pathfinder setting.
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome avatar by Akrim.elf and Ceika

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post

They're small because they need to fit into the frame. A St George banner where St George is tiny compared to the dragon would be a dragon banner not a St George one.

Iormagund is big enough to envelope the world, Tiamat is big enough to build the world out of her corpse, the Lambton Worm can wrap itself seven times round a decent sized hill, one of Zilant's heads could swallow a young human whole, the seven headed Yilbegän would cause eclipses by try to swallow the moon and stars.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Small, bestial, often quite pitiful looking.
    There's also swamp dragons from Discworld. Small, pitiful, stupid animals that frequently explode.

EDIT: Well, as a species they frequently explode. An individual swamp dragon only explodes once.
    Last edited by JAL_1138; 2015-06-14 at 06:08 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

When does a dragon stop being a dragon? When. It dies-then it is a Dracolich or a collection of messy but useful parts.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

'Dragon' as word can be appropriated by a creator and used for lots of things. The Wheel of Time series is a good example.

As a creature, I do feel that better-than-animal intelligence is critical. Dragons have to, at minimum, be able to kidnap princesses and scare villagers into providing tribute. They must also be hard to kill, and they must be capable of great destruction.

I really like the D&D dragons, as pictured and described in the Monster Manual. A dragon should have the package of flight (and wings), four legs (long, sharp claws), scales, a fairly long, sinuous body, spines and horns preferred (but manes are cool, too), and something special with its breath (poison, fire). The more of these you drop, the less I'll like it if you call it a dragon, but one or two absences shouldn't be a problem.
    Last edited by ExLibrisMortis; 2015-06-14 at 06:28 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Like these:

Spoiler
    Show

To be fair, a lot of medieval artwork had a thing about a sense of scale, in that they didn't have them. Sometimes you'd get priests who were bigger than the churches they worshiped in.

Anyway, your point is right. The concept of the majestic dragon that is popular nowadays isn't universal. Though, it can be noted that stupid monstrous dragons like you see in these pictures were from legends from about the same time as Fafnir who was an intelligent dragon (well a dwarf that transformed himself, but you get the idea).

Ultimately, dragons are what you say they are. Though, like vampires (who can be traced back to bloated corpses, idiotic ghouls, and even werewolf like beasts), the modern audience has a sort of standard idea of what a dragon is. At least in Western cultures. Big, reptilian, wings, generally 2 to 4 legs, breathe weapon. Often, but not universally intelligent.

Now personally, in games I like my dragons intelligent. But that's because killing an animal doesn't really feel all that epic to me. It can sure be difficult still, but it just doesn't have the same accomplishment as tricking and beating a Smaug expy. For books, or tv shows, or movies, or whatever, I've read and enjoyed stories with dragons being intelligent or animalistic. One particularly good portrayal I found was sort of like the velociraptors of Jurassic Park. They can't speak, but they're cunning understand more than you'd expect, and hungry. Sadly, can't remember the book that was in, and honestly, I thought it was pretty much crap, but I did like the dragons.
    Last edited by Dienekes; 2015-06-14 at 06:33 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

A dragon stops being a dragon when it is more like a dragon than like a dragon.

In all seriousness this is the case. Dragon has been used to describe scaled snake-lizards with some number of legs(including 0) and some number of wings(including 0). They range from bestial to divine intellect. They may or may not have a breath weapon(commonly fire). They may or may not have access to a magical nature and if it does have a magical nature that nature could be one of a large number of varieties.

However for me, a dragon stops being a dragon when it is more like a wyvern or a purple worm than like the Smaug. So an overt magical nature is unnecessary for me and both a subhuman intellegence 2 legged Smaug and a bestial breathless Smaug would count as dragons.
    Last edited by OldTrees1; 2015-06-14 at 06:38 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Yes. The modern conception of the huge kind of dragon probably stems from either Grendel or Jormungand (who aren't technically dragons, but they're certainly huge), not from some nameless critter St. George fought.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

13. - Top - End - #13

I don't see the people most likely to be speaking about dragons being overly concerned about their exact taxonomy.

"Run, the dragon is approaching!"

"Dragon? Where? Next to the drake?"

"No, THAT is the dragon!"

"Now see here, my good man, that is clearly no dragon. Notice the dull, lifeless gaze and the palpable absence of any enchantments. Why if you would only..."

FA-WHOOOOSH!!!!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

When the drake/wyvern/etc insists it's not called a dragon.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post
    When the drake/wyvern/etc insists it's not called a dragon.
    Isn't wyvern just another type of dragon? It would be like a human saying it's not a great ape.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

A dragon stops being a dragon, when it doesn't meet whatever the definition of a dragon is for the setting/culture it is from.

I think for me to personally consider something to be a dragon, it has to have a long tail similar in form to a reptiles, as well as some form of muzzle/beak for a face. It must be capable of reasoning, planning, and socializing at least on a level similar to cetaceans, apes, and elephants. A dragon does not need to be magical in nature, nor does it need to have a breath weapon, a dragon can be very small, or quite large, it can have or lack any kind of integument (fur/feathers/scales/ect).

If it "looks" like a dragon but is merely a beast, than it should have a different name to help differentiate it from intelligent dragons, because they're going to represent different kinds of challenges.

That's just me personally though, end of the day if a settings says dragons are all big dumb beasts, or adorable little fluff balls or whatever else, than I'm going to call it a dragon.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastikator View Post
    Isn't wyvern just another type of dragon? It would be like a human saying it's not a great ape.
    No it'd be more like an ape saying it's a human. A human is an ape but not all apes are humans.
    Last edited by cobaltstarfire; 2015-06-14 at 10:00 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

I have only ever given myself one restriction on Dragon's in RPG games. They need to be consistent. If they are super smart and rich powers behind the powers like in Shadowrun, then so be it. Or if they are just large and deadly animals that works too. I just want them to be what ever they are in some sort of consistent manor. But that is my hang up.
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude... seeming to be true within the context of the game world.

"D&D does not have SECRET rules that can only be revealed by meticulous deconstruction of words and grammar. There is only the unclear rules prose that makes people think there are secret rules to be revealed."

Consistency between games and tables is but the dream of a madman - Mastikator

18. - Top - End - #18

The priest-to-church scale issues only exist in the pre-Renaissance period, before people figured out what perspective was. At that time, figures were depicted with size proportional to their importance, so a victorious knight would be depicted as larger than his enemy, because he won.

As for St. George's dragon, if we consult the original sources, they describe it as a creature that was fed two sheep per day, and once slain was carried from the scene upon four ox-carts. Its depiction in later artworks as an alligator-sized animal only goes to show that cultural constructs are mutable and OP's friend is a stick in the mud for trying to canonize some kind of "real" dragon.
    Last edited by Flickerdart; 2015-06-14 at 10:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

A 'true' dragon has legs, wings, a breath weapon, intellect and a magical nature. Size usually indicates age and thus power, but exceptions exist.

A less pure dragon can drop up to 3 of those 5 before it ceases to be a dragon of some variety. So for example wyverns lack two legs, a breath weapon and often a magical nature or intelligence but are still dragons (though often treated as second rate dragons but thats not the point), as are drakes that lack wings and often breath weapons.

If you cease to appear lizardy or serpenty enough you also lose dragon status, no refunds.
    Last edited by Kane0; 2015-06-15 at 02:36 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Tarrasque is the name of a specific folklore dragon of France. Yet in D&D, the tarrasque is not a dragon at all. The same is true (to an extent) for the wyvern. Dragons from classic european lore were savage beasts, most of them barely self aware. Nothing like asian dragons, who were highly intelligent and mystical creatures.

Calling something a dragon (or a troll, or a goblin, or a dwarf...) is an entirely lore-specific thing. If you want your universe to have the D&D monster manual official seal of approval, your dragons must have high intellect, four legs, wings, a breath weapon, thick scales, and a convenient color coding. There is nothing wrong with subverting that expectation, deliberately or not.

I think the most important points are the reptilian nature, the massive size and the physical power that goes with them. Without those, calling something a dragon start to be a deliberate attempt to screw with people.
    Last edited by Cazero; 2015-06-15 at 03:48 AM.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Yes. The modern conception of the huge kind of dragon probably stems from either Grendel or Jormungand (who aren't technically dragons, but they're certainly huge), not from some nameless critter St. George fought.
    Fafnir, as mentioned above. Huge, poisonous, intelligent. I forgot about that one, I must admit.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

A dragon has to be a big lizard with long legs and a long tail. Everything else is optional. Having wings and breathing fire are very common, though.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    A dragon has to be a big lizard with long legs and a long tail. Everything else is optional. Having wings and breathing fire are very common, though.
    Legs be optional, lizard be optional, big be optional.

I personally love serpentine (rhymes with Constantine) dragons, with or without legs.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

24. - Top - End - #24

Weren't the original dragons just sea serpents?
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

25. - Top - End - #25
    Spamalot in the Playground

My personal definition for a dragon has one head, one tail, four legs, and one pair of wings. Breath-weapons, spell-casting, and intelligence are optional, but useful.

And sometimes sporting a nice crown. :3
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltstarfire View Post
    No it'd be more like an ape saying it's a human. A human is an ape but not all apes are humans.
    I thought the classification went
    Dragon
    -> Wyvern
    -> Wym
    -> Drake

Canine
    -> Dog
    -> Wolf

But you're saying it's the other way around?
    Wyvern
    -> Dragon
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

27. - Top - End - #27

Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by D20SRD.org, "Wyvern"
    Size/Type: Large Dragon
    Would ya look at that.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Spamalot in the Playground

When it turns into a driveway.

(Didn't we do this thread already?)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    (Didn't we do this thread already?)
    Very much so.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!