New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Warhammer & 40K RPGs Thread III: With Friends Like These, Who Needs Heresies?

Quote Originally Posted by Chijinda View Post
    I'm not sure if he should feel ashamed of his ignoble heritage to the point that he can't use his title without another member of the family to back him up (how I've been running it so far), how much he should be using his influence, or even leaning on his family's resources (he recently had an eye torn out in a fight and doesn't have the funding for a bionic replacement). And as mentioned in a setting like 40k, and with my character's credentials, I'm not sure if he shouldn't simply be so thankful for his current position that he would avoid pushing the envelope, or if it might be more likely for someone in his position to simply embrace all the perks of the new status.
    Given the world of 40k and the status of sanctioned psykers, he should definitely feel out of place and unused to having that sort of influence/money. Obviously over time he'll grow used to it, but probably a gradual thing, as if he expects it to be taken away from him at any moment. As to the eye: I would fully expect the family to INSIST it be replaced with a Best quality bionic eye, (or a Baleful Eye if they have one as a family heirloom).

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: Warhammer & 40K RPGs Thread III: With Friends Like These, Who Needs Heresies?

Any good pregen adventures for WFRP? Some that might be a bit shorter might be good, i'm looking at running a oneshot this summer if I have time. Any suggestions are appreciated!
    My opinion and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee at the 7/11, most others want the dollar too :P

Steam ID: blacklight101

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?
    At an observation deck at Port Wander, seeing his ship for the first time and being introduced to the bridge crew/away team that he hired before arriving.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Both of the free adventures on Fantasy Flight Games' website for WFRP called "A Day Late and a Shilling Short" and "Journey to Black Fire Pass" under the Player Resources have 4 pre-generated characters in each adventure for your characters to use. If you're running your own adventure, you've got 5 dwarves, a human female Roadwarden, a High-Elf Envoy, and a Human Grey Wizard Apprentice pre-gens from those two adventures you can use. =)

Enjoy!

Dizlag
    Last edited by Dizlag; 2015-07-27 at 10:08 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34

Zombie

Sweet, I'll have to give those a look. Thanks!
    My opinion and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee at the 7/11, most others want the dollar too :P

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

At an observation deck at Port Wander, seeing his ship for the first time and being introduced to the bridge crew/away team that he hired before arriving.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

I ran a Day Late and a Shilling Short for my daughters in one night ... about 3 hours. But, that included making characters too. So, it really is a pretty good one-shot adventure.

I haven't run the Black Fire Pass adventure though. A bunch a dwarves in a greenskin infested pass ... I think ... what can be better? LOL

Enjoy!

Dizlag

6. - Top - End - #36
    Firbolg in the Playground

Thoughts on merging aspects of the Psykana Templar from The Inquisitors Handbook into Rogue trader with a Astropath Transcendent in place of a Sanctioned Psyker.

I was initially going to go with a Witness of Dusk line of thought and after some consideration its really not the way to go for what im seeing for this idea and the Templar fit the bill much better with the Martial aspects and Psi progression.
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I've got a question on Rogue Trader. By helping them through some pretty intense combat, we earned a lot of respect from the Imperial Navy, and they (read: the GM) basically gave us free reign to design a raider-class ship to accompany our current battlecruiser. The rest of the party basically just handed a blank sheet to me. I had 60 ship points to work with, and I've got pretty much what I want out of it.

It's a Meritech Shrike-class raider, running Gryphonne-pattern torpedo tubes in the prow. My question is thus: should I mount Stygies-pattern macrocannons on the dorsal slot, or disruption macrocannons? I like the idea of being able to shut down enemy ships for capture, but we've never used torpedoes before, and I'm concerned that they have such limited ammunition. Thoughts?

Hell, while you're at it, are torpedoes even worth a damn?
    Tyger Tyger, burning bright,
    In the forests of the night;
    What immortal hand or eye,
    Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

-excerpt from "The Tyger" by William Blake

8. - Top - End - #38

Zombie

Torps are absolutely worth it when they hit, 2d10+14 on basic plasma torps plus a single reroll on threes or lower is quite a lot of damage, even on larger ships. I like them when I have used them, at least. I can say im a bigger fan of sunsear lasers than stygies/disruption macros, but I like being able to outrange everything out there. Stygies if I had to pick though, ignoring armor is a nice thing to do.

Thinking on it, if a whole volley of torps hit (assuming 4 tubes) its 8d10+56 total damage. Granted, theyre rolled individually, but that could cripple a cruiser. Meritechs are a good platform for that stuff too. The free +5 to BS is nice.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Hello, im starting to plan out a Dark Heresy 1E campaign and i thim im gonna start the party out with a battle in an Underhive, mostly against mutants. Now i have two primary schools of thought on this: 1. Some flavor of Chaos did it, this leads through the classic trail of find the bad Chaos thing and break/kill it. 2. I have a custom created Inquisitor who is Excomunicate Traitoris that i've kinda been wanting to use. He is a mutant himself, though he has only good traits (im using the stats for a Chaos Space Marine Sorcerer for him) and he believes that mutants are the evolution of humanity. Yes i made grimdark Magneto.

Now while the initial mission isnt an issue, where to take the party from there is. Ill be honest, investigation missions are my weakest point of GMing. Interesting combat? Ya. Quirky characters? Totally. Basic Mystery? Nope, i fail. So i come before this august group of individuals asking for help.

Ill lay out the basics that i have so far:
    1. Mutant attacks in the Underhive of X have increased.
    2. The party goes to investigate and get attacked (the mutants are Beastmen)
    3.The party gets backup from another tribe of mutants (different Beastmen)
    4. Nice Beastmen explain that their ancestors where cursed by a Sorcerer for not helping him and that they still worship the Emperor. (hopefully the party decides not to shoot them) The go on to say that the Bad Beastmen have been attacking people because of *BBEG* Nice Beastmen point party in direction of Bad Beastmen's base.
    5. Party begins checking area around Bad Beastmen base. Fight more Beastmen. Eventually figure out where base is. Purge it.
    6. Find clue linking supposed BBEG to larger organization. Head to next mission.

So thats all ive got, and its pretty bare bones i havent committed to either path yet. Note that while the Inquisitor (his name is Tolbrun Kahn) is Excomunicate, he will not use Chaos powers. Hes pro mutant, not pro Chaos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

I've returned from the mountains and writing has resumed! Here's a short interlude from between where the last chapter left off and where the next chapter starts!

Now, this started as an intro piece, but it became far too large, so I split it off. As a result, the writing style is a bit different from usual, and significantly more raw party dialogue has been left in. So I'd like to apologize in advance if the language gets a little crude, it's Aimy's fault.

The All Guardsmen Party Interlude: Dewarp
    HTML: https://googledrive.com/host/0B3Z9sX...XM/dewarp.html

SupTG Archive: http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/42204030/

Silly Image Thing: http://imgur.com/gallery/c0kerRl/

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    Hello, im starting to plan out a Dark Heresy 1E campaign and i thim im gonna start the party out with a battle in an Underhive, mostly against mutants. Now i have two primary schools of thought on this: 1. Some flavor of Chaos did it, this leads through the classic trail of find the bad Chaos thing and break/kill it. 2. I have a custom created Inquisitor who is Excomunicate Traitoris that i've kinda been wanting to use. He is a mutant himself, though he has only good traits (im using the stats for a Chaos Space Marine Sorcerer for him) and he believes that mutants are the evolution of humanity. Yes i made grimdark Magneto.

Now while the initial mission isnt an issue, where to take the party from there is. Ill be honest, investigation missions are my weakest point of GMing. Interesting combat? Ya. Quirky characters? Totally. Basic Mystery? Nope, i fail. So i come before this august group of individuals asking for help.

Ill lay out the basics that i have so far:
    1. Mutant attacks in the Underhive of X have increased.
    2. The party goes to investigate and get attacked (the mutants are Beastmen)
    3.The party gets backup from another tribe of mutants (different Beastmen)
    4. Nice Beastmen explain that their ancestors where cursed by a Sorcerer for not helping him and that they still worship the Emperor. (hopefully the party decides not to shoot them) The go on to say that the Bad Beastmen have been attacking people because of *BBEG* Nice Beastmen point party in direction of Bad Beastmen's base.
    5. Party begins checking area around Bad Beastmen base. Fight more Beastmen. Eventually figure out where base is. Purge it.
    6. Find clue linking supposed BBEG to larger organization. Head to next mission.

So thats all ive got, and its pretty bare bones i havent committed to either path yet. Note that while the Inquisitor (his name is Tolbrun Kahn) is Excomunicate, he will not use Chaos powers. Hes pro mutant, not pro Chaos.
    I will say that I find the Grimdark Magneto angle a lot more interesting than the generic "Chaos did it" option. Of course, you could always have both. Tolbrun could be getting funding and supplies from mysterious backers that turn out to be worshipers of Tzeentch or something, and would probably himself be unaware of their chaotic leanings. Gives you a nice "how deep does the rabbit hole go" kind of situation. It'll also set the party up to really hate the cultists, because if you play Tolbrun up to be an almost sympathetic baddie (which is how I'd run him), then the party will have to put him down, but may regret the necessity. Then they find out that he was unknowingly backed by chaos, and really hate the cultists for their mustache-twirling evil.

Personally, I'd place the backers very high up in local society. That way you've got your dirty, nasty, combat-heavy underhive, and a tense, almost political situation in the upper levels of the hive dealing with nobility. Gives everybody something to do. On top of that, it gives you a convenient way to let your players start getting some nice toys, if things do go south, politically speaking. That is, if they survive being on the receiving end of those toys ...

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MachineWraith View Post
    I will say that I find the Grimdark Magneto angle a lot more interesting than the generic "Chaos did it" option. Of course, you could always have both. Tolbrun could be getting funding and supplies from mysterious backers that turn out to be worshipers of Tzeentch or something, and would probably himself be unaware of their chaotic leanings. Gives you a nice "how deep does the rabbit hole go" kind of situation. It'll also set the party up to really hate the cultists, because if you play Tolbrun up to be an almost sympathetic baddie (which is how I'd run him), then the party will have to put him down, but may regret the necessity. Then they find out that he was unknowingly backed by chaos, and really hate the cultists for their mustache-twirling evil.

Personally, I'd place the backers very high up in local society. That way you've got your dirty, nasty, combat-heavy underhive, and a tense, almost political situation in the upper levels of the hive dealing with nobility. Gives everybody something to do. On top of that, it gives you a convenient way to let your players start getting some nice toys, if things do go south, politically speaking. That is, if they survive being on the receiving end of those toys ...
    Thanks, thats a great plan. Now my only problem is doing political machinations. (not my strong suit )
    Show

13. - Top - End - #43
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    Thanks, thats a great plan. Now my only problem is doing political machinations. (not my strong suit )
    Well, GD Magneto could be using a mutagenic chemical to create more mutants, on top of the ones I'm sure he can already find, and can be getting material support (ie guns) from somewhere. Both of those indicate treachery against the Imperium. The guns could be coming from a local aristocrat that has a hand in firearms manufacture on or off world. Since he's wealthy and well-connected - not to mention how many guns he's likely to have - the party won't want to take him on directly. They'd have to find a way to maneuver him out of favor with the planetary governor, or maybe with his people in the gun making business. This could range from simply ruining his profits or making him look the ass at a big social function to just straight up outing him as a traitor against the Imperium. The latter course would require significant proof, obviously.

For playing the aristocrat, I'd basically just go for a smart but supremely narcissistic ass, probably with a very competent majordomo. The nobleman shouldn't really believe he could ever be caught, and most of the action taken against the players should be his majordomo working to protect him from his own arrogance. Looking up character histories, discrediting them, cutting off resources and avenues of approach (ways to get into the fancy party) or escape (ways off the planet once the super-rich guy wants them dead).

The mutagen can be what's coming from your Tzeentchian cult. GD Magneto thinks it's just a chemical that induces changes in genetic structure, and that may be what shows up under a chemical analysis, but it's also got a dash of the ol' Ruinous Powers thrown in for good measure, both accelerating and guiding the mutation process, and making anyone who takes the drug at least partially under Tzeentch's influence. Unknowingly, Mags has been creating a superhuman army dedicated to Tzeentch the whole time. You could even have a dramatic betrayal by his second in command, and have him fight alongside the players against him. Anyway, point is, this is where your nasty combat can come in, with different types of mutants bringing completely different dangers into each combat, and all the fun **** that can pop up in a hive stack. Don't feel limited by what the book has for mutants, either. Use pop culture and find some fun stuff, like mutants who spit highly corrosive acid in a flamer template, or a small group of mutants that focus their collective telepathy on individual party members to make them stop fighting, or even turn on their allies.

Apologies if any of this is incoherent, I haven't had coffee yet this morning.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MachineWraith View Post
    List O' Wonderful Stuff
    I love that last suggestion. Kahn is supposed to be a sympathetic villain and that right there sells it, also always of fan of stabbing Tzeentch, so much more satisfying than fighting Khorne.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Ok i have the party comp

Blighted Schola Adeptus Sororitas
    Feral World Penal Legionnaire (at least im pretty sure he went with Penal Legionnaire)
    Hive Mutant Assassin w/ Aberration and Hideous Strength (that she rolled 100 was the least surprising thing ive heard all week )

They will be working for Inquisitor Staven Arcturos, well his Interrogators anyway. Right now ive only got one Interrogator planned out and i intended to have 3.

Ragnar Bloodklaw

Ragnar is a massive, grizzled bear of a man, who wields a massive Power Axe and an equally massive Shotgun. He is clad in thick slabs of Carapace armor at all times and looks more like a crazed barbarian than an Inquisitorial agent, the cloak made out of a bear that he killed with his bare hands isnt helping.

Ragnar will be their CO in the Lower and Underhive.

So i need ideas for two more Interrogators, one needs to be their CO in the Upper Hive and the other will probably be investigating things outside the Hive. Also i need a planet, though worst case scenario ill just make one up

Edit: I've figured out just how the "True BBEG" path is going to go. The Party will be introdiced to Tolbrun, and probably think he's the main villain, then they find out he is being manipulated by the Upper Hive Noble (Tolbrun is aware of this attempted manipulation), the Noble in turn is a puppet for a Tzeentch Cult who is trying to simply destabalize the planet and hopefully the surrounding systems. Finally the Tzeentch Cult is being set up by a Phaenonite Cabal which was simply using them as a convenient deniable asset, as they wanted to know how well the mutagen and several weapons worked.

So the True BBEG will be a Phaenonite Inquisitor....who i need to create. Will probably be a heavy conversion cyborg and a Psyker.
    Last edited by Blackhawk748; 2015-09-13 at 11:33 AM.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

As I dislike the Influence rules as is (preferring to have it handled via a combination of Fellowship and GM fiat), I've been toying with a grid-based system for applying the 9 stats in DH 2.0. It allows for more powerful characters than standard rolling and point buy, but still quite random.

Note: I replace Influence with Intelligence for both Highborn and Feral Worlder.

First, you pick a Homeworld, then roll stats in a 3 x 3 grid. Your Homeworld's strong and weak stats aren't rolled.

I'll show it using an example.

Forge World Agility Perception Willpower
    Weapon Skill 2d10+10 2d10+10 2d10+10
    Ballistic Skill 2d10+10 2d10+10 2d10+10
    Strength 2d10+10 2d10+10 2d10+10

The same square can't be used twice. Pick until you've selected for the six stats on the table.

Then, for the strong stats (Intelligence and Toughness here): Roll 3d10(Pick Highest 2) + 20 three times, assigning the highest two as you like.

For the low stat: Roll 3d10 (Pick lowest 2) +20.

There are no re-rolls. The strong stats get a little stronger, the low stat a little weaker.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Barbarian in the Playground

Strange (series of) question(s) time!

Is carapace armor magnetic?

How many frag grenades could one fit in a magboot?

If carapace armor is, in fact, magnetic, could you stick a magboot stuffed full of frag grenades to a major boss enemy's carapace armor midfight, run away, and then have a party member (like say, the firebreathing psyker) shoot the boot and explode the target? Would this work better with some other kind of grenade, or maybe a krak missile?
    Last edited by Lord Magtok; 2015-09-20 at 02:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

18. - Top - End - #48
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

From what I read on Lexicanum and the handbook, carapace armor is made of ceramite (ceramic derivative) and plasteel (a synthetic polymer, which is not made of steel, it just has steel like resistance), so no, it isn't magnetical.
    I suppose it could be customized to add a magnetical patch to store things, but it isn't standard.

A frag grenade is the size of a clenched fist (DH hadbook) so if by magboot you mean a magnetic boot, I suppose 2, maybe 3.

By the way, I don't think that would be really that effective. Each grenade deals 2d10 damage, and your boss is going to have at least 10 damage reduction.
    Krak things work MUCH better against single target heavily armored enemies. A krak missile is kind hard to get (and fire), but in dark heresy it is going to kill anything short of a demonhost. A grenade launcher with a few krak grenades is usually pretty easy to acquire (you just need someone with training in launcher weapons) and is usually able to incapacitate any humanoid enemy in one or two shots.
    Last edited by Arcades; 2015-09-20 at 05:31 AM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
    From what I read on Lexicanum and the handbook, carapace armor is made of ceramite (ceramic derivative) and plasteel (a synthetic polymer, which is not made of steel, it just has steel like resistance), so no, it isn't magnetical.
    I suppose it could be customized to add a magnetical patch to store things, but it isn't standard.

A frag grenade is the size of a clenched fist (DH hadbook) so if by magboot you mean a magnetic boot, I suppose 2, maybe 3.

By the way, I don't think that would be really that effective. Each grenade deals 2d10 damage, and your boss is going to have at least 10 damage reduction.
    Krak things work MUCH better against single target heavily armored enemies. A krak missile is kind hard to get (and fire), but in dark heresy it is going to kill anything short of a demonhost. A grenade launcher with a few krak grenades is usually pretty easy to acquire (you just need someone with training in launcher weapons) and is usually able to incapacitate any humanoid enemy in one or two shots.

Seconding the Krak Grenades, those things should just have "Boss Killer" written on them.

On an unrelated note what do you guys think Beastmen should have for mutations (im taking about the Goat Man variety) currently im thinking Unnatural Toughness x2, and having horns that do 1d10 I.

It looks kinda like this right now:
    Spoiler: Beastmen Gor
    Show
    WS 32 BS 22 S 46 T 36 (6) Ag 32 Int 18 Per 30 Wp 25 Fel 20
    Wounds 14
    Traits: Brutal Charge, Natural Armor (2), Natural Weapons Horns 1d10+4, Unnatural Toughness x2
    Skills:Climb, Common Lore (Underhive), Concealment, Speak Language (low Gothic), Survival +10
    Talents: Basic Weapon Training (Solid Projectile, Primitive), Melee Weapon Training (Primitive), Sprint

Im considering adding Stampede as it seems fitting, im just sure how often its gonna come up. Im also considering adding Unnatural Speed as Beastmen are fast.
    Last edited by Blackhawk748; 2015-09-20 at 09:54 AM.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

Idly made stats for the galvanic rifle:

Galvanic Rifle
    Spoiler
    Show
    Class: Basic
    Range: 125m
    RoF: S/3/-
    Dam: 1d10+5 X
    Pen: 5
    Clip: 18
    Rld: Full
    Special: Accurate, Razor Sharp
    Availability: ?

This is simply going off of the stats from the codex as a start. They're slightly better at punching through armor than a standard bolter, with a slightly better range. A cross between an assault rifle and a marksman's rifle, in one nice little railgun package. Extremely rare outside of the Skitarii, as the Adeptus Mechanicus doesn't like sharing their toys.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Firbolg in the Playground

Carapace can have Mag strips added (such as in the case of the Arbites Set) for weapons and such but isn't inherently magnetic
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    Idly made stats for the galvanic rifle:

Galvanic Rifle
    Spoiler
    Show
    Class: Basic
    Range: 125m
    RoF: S/3/-
    Dam: 1d10+5 X
    Pen: 5
    Clip: 18
    Rld: Full
    Special: Accurate, Razor Sharp
    Availability: ?

This is simply going off of the stats from the codex as a start. They're slightly better at punching through armor than a standard bolter, with a slightly better range. A cross between an assault rifle and a marksman's rifle, in one nice little railgun package. Extremely rare outside of the Skitarii, as the Adeptus Mechanicus doesn't like sharing their toys.
    Very nice, i would set it at Very Rare unless your on a Forge World, then its just Rare. I would so use this.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #53

Hey everyone, so I know I began asking questions in this thread. Didn't see this thread before hand, my mistake. So, going to post here now to help cut down on forum clutter. This is all for 2nd edition DH

Anyways, so here's some further questions from me, so I know what to do for character, and campaign building.

So game play question, does Armor Penetration from an attack reduce the effectiveness of Toughness bonus if it breaks through the armor, and still have points left over? I.E., Character A fires a shot with an AP of 6 at Target B. with a total AV of 7 (4 armor, 3 TB). Would the Damage Reduction that's ignored be 4, or 6, with 1 point of damage reduced?

Character Build questions:

1. What are the typical party roles for the Backgrounds and/or Roles? (I.E., Tank, "DPS" (or more acurrately, DPR, Damage Per Round), Burst/single attack Damage Dealer, Healer, Support, etc) Ignoring mage because that's clearly Psyker, with a few Tech-Priest builds. And what's their typical equipment?

2. Also, when creating my character, how should I spend the initial 1000 XP? Destro_Yersul told me the basic part (Read: Making sure to purchase things which I have two Aptitudes to keep XP costs down at first). But how much should I focus on Attribute advances, skills, and Talents?

3. Now, I know weapons can only receive up to 4 modifications. But, what about custom weaponry? I.E. Changing a weapon so it gains more or different special qualities. say for example, if my character was to walk up to a Tech-Priest and say "So, we're going to a planet, and there seems to be a slight Ork problem, and by slight, I mean "Full-Scale Waaaagh!". And since requisitioning a Storm Bolter may be a bit hard, I was thinking, could you hook up these two Lasguns/pistols, and turn them into a Las-storm weapon? (I.E. give a Lasgun, or Laspistol the "storm" or "twin-Linked" quality by getting a custom made double barrel Las weapon.)." If so, how would that affect rarity, and for requisitioning powerpacks?

Also, should my character be ready to duck any potential incoming Servo-Arm swipe for asking that?
    Final Fantasy XIV Dragoon custom avatar made by Iruka. Thanks Iruka.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Razgriez View Post
    So game play question, does Armor Penetration from an attack reduce the effectiveness of Toughness bonus if it breaks through the armor, and still have points left over? I.E., Character A fires a shot with an AP of 6 at Target B. with a total AV of 7 (4 armor, 3 TB). Would the Damage Reduction that's ignored be 4, or 6, with 1 point of damage reduced?
    No. AP only reduces armour. Toughness bonus can never be reduced, though there are certain types of attack which ignore armour and toughness completely.

1. What are the typical party roles for the Backgrounds and/or Roles? (I.E., Tank, "DPS" (or more acurrately, DPR, Damage Per Round), Burst/single attack Damage Dealer, Healer, Support, etc) Ignoring mage because that's clearly Psyker, with a few Tech-Priest builds. And what's their typical equipment?

2. Also, when creating my character, how should I spend the initial 1000 XP? Destro_Yersul told me the basic part (Read: Making sure to purchase things which I have two Aptitudes to keep XP costs down at first). But how much should I focus on Attribute advances, skills, and Talents?

3. Now, I know weapons can only receive up to 4 modifications. But, what about custom weaponry? I.E. Changing a weapon so it gains more or different special qualities. say for example, if my character was to walk up to a Tech-Priest and say "So, we're going to a planet, and there seems to be a slight Ork problem, and by slight, I mean "Full-Scale Waaaagh!". And since requisitioning a Storm Bolter may be a bit hard, I was thinking, could you hook up these two Lasguns/pistols, and turn them into a Las-storm weapon? (I.E. give a Lasgun, or Laspistol the "storm" or "twin-Linked" quality by getting a custom made double barrel Las weapon.)." If so, how would that affect rarity, and for requisitioning powerpacks?

Also, should my character be ready to duck any potential incoming Servo-Arm swipe for asking that?
    1: They don't necessarily line up, since DH is not, by nature, an entirely combat focused game. A good guide is the role bonus. In general: Assassins are focused on attack, Chirurgeons on support/healing, Desperados on mobility, Hierophants on social skills, Mystics on Psyker Shenanigans, Sages on lore and general skills, Seekers on tracking and information gathering, Warriors on combat (though not tanking, because they lack the Toughness aptitude). There is a certain amount of possible customisation, though. A Voidborn Adeptus Arbites Chirurgeon could be built as a tank. A Hive World Imperial Guard Desperado would make a good infiltrator. Forge-World Mechanicus Assassins can handle healing and lore skills. Popular equipment (for literally everyone) is a grapnel gun with a drop harness. Auspexes, dataslates, some way to see in the dark, and a handful of skill-specific tools are all good investments.

One thing that's important to remember is that most healing takes place outside of combat. The only way to get in-combat healing is with a Psyker who's pretty deep into the Biomancy tree, and the Endurance power is only good for healing one or two wounds every 12 hours.

2: You want a good mix. If you're a combat character it's important to advance your main combat characteristic (BS/WS), with a smaller focus on Toughness, Agility (esp. if you have Dodge) and Strength (If you do melee). If you're a support character it's probably better to only buy a couple chracteristic advances for your most important stats, and focus on skills after that. Talents are always expensive, so don't buy too many of those at first.

3: Talk to your GM about that. As written, I don't think DH2 has any mechanic for your example. And yes, prepare to duck servo-arms. You may also consider porting in weapons from other game lines. The assorted systems are (more or less) compatible, especially the weapon statblocks.
    Last edited by Destro_Yersul; 2015-09-24 at 09:49 PM.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Okay, new question, same character as last time. Our party's fallen on hard times, our former Inquisitor's ship is being run by a skeleton crew that's getting smaller every day. My character's decided to try and fix that by recruiting some new crew for the ship. For that, we need money. And a lot of it, since our group doesn't presently have a rosarius behind us.

Fortunately in a recent assignment the group discovered a species of xenos predator, thought to be extinct was in fact, very much alive. The creatures are still going around, and it so happens that the creatures (essentially gigantic wormlike beasts) are covered in scales of comparable hardness and durability to adamantium plates. A single one of these scales can sell for a hefty sum, and even a small one of these guys is covered in hundreds of such scales, fully grown adults, thousands, maybe even hundreds of thousands.

So my character's decided to try and use this knowledge and start a business hunting and poaching the creatures. Or rather, hiring mercenaries and game hunters to do it for him.

Biggest issue is going to be equipping the mercs for the job. As mentioned above, these beasties are covered in scales that mechanically essentially functions as power armor. During our encounters with them, I believe we worked out that they have a damage reduction of around 13 or 14, with wounds in excess of 20. As such, if my character has to outfit a group for hunting them... he'll need cheap means of getting past such strong defenses.

Does anyone have suggestions as to cheap ways of getting past high armor, that could reasonably be arranged to outfit an entire hunting party for dealing with apex predators like this?
    Last edited by Chijinda; 2015-10-18 at 08:11 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Poison. Get a giant canister of some Admech industrial waste, cover it in grox blood, drop it on the planet's surface and wait for a corpse. Cheaper then mercs.*

*Side effects may include mutation, hardening of scales, dissolving your intended prize, or mutating the predator into a titan-sized monster that spews acid.
    Protect Humanity
    Enslave the gods

27. - Top - End - #57
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Or rig corpses with grenades/melta charges.

But yeah, if these things are so tough on the outside, the simple solution seems to be to go at them from the inside.

28. - Top - End - #58

Krak grenades are especially good at ruining armored targets, and aren't anywhere near as expensive as a meltagun.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

This thread is not quite beyond the necro limit! Hello again all.

I'm running a game of Only War IRL next semester, and its going to be the first IRL game i've GM'd. Aside from any tips on that in general, i'd appreciate if some people could look over and give advice on the session plans i've written up. They're fairly simple plans for now, but I've got a while to flesh them out.

The party will be:
    • Seven interested players - so i'm going to guess at 5-7 per session.
    • Variety of skill levels- some have never played an RPG, some have played lots of FFG games.
    • They want to play urban Only War, with a light infantry regiment. Precise regiment details haven't been decided yet but i suspect we'll see a mixed regiment between some kind of sneaky light infantry and some kind of stabby feudal worlders - there's talk of kilts and bagpipes.
    • Enemies wanted are humans and orks. I'm going to keep that to Severans and Orks for the sake of simplicity, and not having the campaign be some ludicrous Dawn Of War-style free-for-all.

My plan is for session one:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The game starts with the players in the camp follower area of their own encampment. They’ve got some leave and are able to be flexible with their time. Just before the game begins, several members of the adeptus mechanicus and the atmospherics cadre pass through the camp past the players, escorting a rig of (though the players won’t know it) ice-coring equipment. The rig is escorted by a set of guards from the Scintillan 35th Fusilliers, who give the players scornful looks as they pass, possibly even spitting on any of them that look particularly rough.

While the players mull over this, they have some free time to act as they wish. The camp and regimental encampment will be mapped, so they can try and requisition equipment (through legitimate or illegitimate channels), get customisations done, drink, gamble, attempt to enact retribution on the Scintillans. I can flesh out certain locations and NPCs, and run this section fairly freeform. When it starts to flag, move on to:

First Mission! Players are contacted by vox or runner, and asked to meet their platoon commander for a tactical briefing. The ice-coring material is for measuring the thickness and strength of the river ice: the river is now frozen over and an all-out assault is being launched across it. The severan dominate has fortified the bridges with tank traps and gun emplacements, so the imperials are going to ignore them and go straight across the ice. The scintillan mechanised infantry is leading the charge, and the job of the players regiment is to infiltrate into the gun emplacements and destroy or capture them. The players’ squad has been tasked with one particular bridge. They have to reach it before the assault begins and then capture it at a specific time. Ways to reach the emplacement include sneaking across the bridge (difficult stealth, right into the teeth of the emplacement) across the underside of the bridge (agility tests, might be booby-trapped), across the ice (easier stealth, at night) - and an alternative i’m thinking of is a transit tunnel under the river, which would be guarded, meaning a fight.

The emplacement itself will be a tricky fight, though if they cross the river, the guns will be largely pointed away from them. It will include at least one defensible bunker, and probably a pair of lascannons set up to cover the bridge and the river. Inside the bunker will be a problem they can’t solve with shooting it - a suicidal severan officer with a primed grenade next to the gun controls, perhaps. Once the emplacement is captured, they can turn the guns on the fight on the ice and support the imperials for a little while before the severans launch a counter-assault. This will include a “boss fight” - a Leman Russ, perhaps - and will require the use of the emplacement guns to defeat. Once the counter-assault is defeated, the mission is over.

For session two:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    With the imperial assault across the bridges complete and a significant portion of the city in imperial hands, the player’s squad is pulled from the frontline to act, with the rest of their platoon and a group of Scintillans, as escorts for a convoy of artillery moving into firing position. They take the rear of the convoy, but are summoned aside when a squad of Scintillans go missing. They follow the tracks of the scintillans to a manor house, which the nobles are looting for luxuries to sell on the black market. Valentine, the leader of the scintillans, is unashamed about what he is doing, and attempts to bribe the players to leave. This might include offering a duel to one. While this is going on, the owner of the house- who is still there, and did not leave with the other civilians when the fighting began- activates the house vox system on full blast, washing out all other transmissions and attracting the attention of the Severan Dominate.

As the players conflict with Valentine reaches it’s conclusion - in a fight, duel, or with the players helping the scintillans loot, the severans begin their attack with a bombardment. (This will conveniently save Valentine’s life, if he takes a killing blow.) While the bombardment continues the players must find the owner - a wizened little ex-guardsman, who was mostly just scared of the strangers in his house and trying to activate a beacon for rescue. They shut down the beacon, allowing them to call for help, and have to hold off a severan attack with the Scintillans until help arrives, in the form of the rest of the convoy.

So, any comments or suggestions? I want to tailor to the specific skills of the players, but having these two sessions down in stone will give me enough time to do that. In addition, any general advice on GM'ing the lines would also be very helpful.

30. - Top - End - #60

Welcome to the wonderful world of actual tabletop DMing!

The scenarios you've posted sound like a lot of fun, but I'm going to give my one major piece of RL DM advice: expect that every plan you've come up with will go out the window. I know you've probably learned this from PbP, but it honestly goes double for RL gaming.

Unless your players are basically clones of you, they're going to come up with creative and hilarious things that end up derailing your plans, or they will attempt solutions that are completely out of left field to you but completely sensible to them. For instance, fully expect someone to suggest grabbing climbing equipment and attempting to skirt along the side of the bridge rather than over or under, on the basis that "well, of course they trapped the underside and have barricades on top, but who would expect someone to shimmy along the edge?" At least one will likely suggest some sort of scuba diving or something, since you mentioned that there is a large machine capable of boring into the ice (doesn't matter that it's for ice-coring and depth determination, one of them will try to find a way to steal/requisition its use). If my regular players ever started talking of a regiment involving kilts and bagpipes, I would instantly expect things to derail within the opening description of the scenario. See: the time they all, independently, decided to be Space Wolves in Deathwatch.

Now, none of this is meant as a negative, because I've honestly never had as much fun in gaming as when the players basically took over the scenario and made it their own, but be ready for some major improv. If you're prepared for it, you'll either be pleasantly surprised when they follow the plan, or you'll have a great time since you were prepared when the players hopped on the crazy train.

So, advice specifically for your first session:

Spoiler
    Show
    -Make sure to give them some memorable NPCs amongst the Scintillans, someone who they actually like or at least respect; an NCO with a funny accent who actually likes their regiment or something. They NEED to have some reason to WANT to accomplish their mission on time, or something to regret if they screw up or things don't go their way. It's the Imperial Guard, after all; they could easily excuse being a little late on capturing the objective, leading to losses amongst the Scintillans assaulting across the bridge and not care that some of the noble bastards got shot. But if they know that Sergeant von Fontlebottom, the crazy old NCO who they were sharing drinks and tall tales with earlier is going to be leading the charge, they'll potentially want to actually get the job done promptly so they aren't having to mourn him later. Alternately, don't tell them he was part of the assault, and when they inevitably screw up, relate that he died for it and let the impact of being cogs in the Imperial machine sink in during the post mission debriefing.

Even if you want to really stoke the fires of competition between the two regiments, it helps to humanize someone on the other side, because if not, this is a game and the players will happily let bad things happen to them (which often leads to complete derailing of the campaign and over the top antics, at least in my experience. But if you like that sort of thing, disregard the above advice )

-Rule of three: make sure there are at least 3 ways to solve any problem. While the players will likely provide more, they don't always, and may miss one or more of the solutions you've provided. It's no fun to have to basically say "You blew up the emplacement guns due to *random shenanigans*, now you're going to get killed by a tank" and having to fudge things too heavily. Maybe the enemy had some krak missile launchers or melta bombs on hand to back up the emplacement guns, or the players find out there are demo charges available on the black market in their camp before the mission and think "yeah, more explosives, THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT WE NEED!"

Because I can practically guarantee that the players will say "screw it, we're blowing 'em up" at some point during the process of assaulting the guns. Providing a little bit of a hope spot when the boss-tank (or whatever) shows up can go a long way toward avoiding the players losing enthusiasm ("well, we can't win without the guns that we blew up and there's nothing else to do. yay.") Finding out that blowing up the guns means they have to close to melta bomb range or get a rear shot with a one-shot krak launcher provides a nice bit of drama/suspense compared to finding out they're just plain hosed.

-Otherwise, nothing really to add. Sounds like a fun intro to 40k and tabletop gaming.

Hope that helps, and have fun!
    Currently Playing:
    Nothing at the moment.

Nova avatar courtesy of the ever awesome LCP.