New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 37 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer & 40K RPGs Thread III: With Friends Like These, Who Needs Heresies?

Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post
    Curious. With how open ended Rogue Trader is, does anyone know a good way of stringing a Narrative together?
    I'd suggest asking Telok. He's got some Spelljammer/Rogue Trader mash-up going on that sounds like an awful lot of fun.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

2. - Top - End - #872
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Warhammer & 40K RPGs Thread III: With Friends Like These, Who Needs Heresies?

Open-ended mostly means 'lots of options'.

I think the most important thing is getting player buy-in, far more than any other 40K RPG. In Dark Heresy, you do whatever your Inquisitor tells you to. In Deathwatch, you do whatever your Watch-Captain tells you to. In Only War, you do whatever your Regiment tells you to. In Rogue Trader...you do whatever you darn well feel like. So either you are up-front in what sort of campaign narrative you want to tell (if you are making a game and looking for players), or you figure out what sort of narrative your players want to follow and write a campaign accordingly (if you have players and are making a game). Being invested and interested keeps them committed, and makes it easier for you to create an over-arching plot.

To toot my own horn, the campaign I've just kicked off is centered around the player's Dynasty establishing itself in a newly discovered/unexplored region of space, exploring and exploiting whatever they find. It's extremely open-ended in that they have dozens of potential places to go, with various missions and adventures to do (some of which need to be found by exploring), along with NPCs and other competing factions to engage in diplomacy/conflict against. But the over-arching campaign narrative is still 'explore the sector, conquer it for the Imperium'.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2019-09-26 at 11:51 PM.

3. - Top - End - #873
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Seriously. If you can steal your foes' weapons and/or armor before fighting them, they down much quicker.
    Ok, our first attempt came up empty, but the 2nd hag enemy had some brute with him. He had leather jack as loot, so I'm 10% of the way to Scout advanced class.

Quote Originally Posted by rax View Post
    No, it's more of a scout type IIRC. To me, a typical combat oriented Basic career provides +10 in WS or BS and a couple of combat talents as well. Look up mercenary and soldier and you should be able to tell the difference compared to vagabond.
    What's a good exit career for a Vagabond that has minimal trapping requirements? I have a shortbow, and a (freshly liberated) leather jack. Or should I just spend my xp for more wounds/hp?

4. - Top - End - #874
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HMS Invincible View Post
    What's a good exit career for a Vagabond that has minimal trapping requirements? I have a shortbow, and a (freshly liberated) leather jack. Or should I just spend my xp for more wounds/hp?
    Thief has easy entrance requirements but is very much a skill heavy career which will give your character lots of new things he can do but not increase your fighting potential much
    Entertainer is fairly easy to get into and interesting and if you go for the knife thrower option it opens up lots of new useful Talents for throwing sharp bits of metal into bad guys before they're close enough to hit you( and lots of new possible plots for your G.M.)
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

5. - Top - End - #875
    Titan in the Playground

Curious. With how open ended Rogue Trader is, does anyone know a good way of stringing a Narrative together?
    What I'm doing for the game I run is setting up a few different goals.

The players have a choice of a handful of 'Arc Goals' to pursue. There's nothing really saying that they can't do them all, this is mostly just to ensure there's at least one they want to go for. Either way, these are goals that will take a long time and a lot of resources to complete.

From there, each individual adventure is an 'Arc Goal' adventure, in which they seek to progress the arc goal, a 'Theme' adventure, with objectives and events tailored to the strengths of one or two particular party members, or a 'Task' adventure, where a friendly NPC asks them to do something for him/her.

The Narrative arises from the string of adventures chained together to represent the group's actions in pursuit of their larger goals. If you want to have a larger narrative existing independantly from the actions of the group, it's just a matter of sprinking in plot threads and hooks here and there, and having a small cast of recurring characters who pop up every so often to give the PCs grief.
    Last edited by Destro_Yersul; 2019-09-27 at 05:45 PM.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

6. - Top - End - #876
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

That's a bit of a trick question. You have to complete each career you enter, which means taking all characteristic advances, skills and talents that you don't already have (though if a career offers a choice between two skills/talents, you only have to take one), before you can enter a new one. Since Vagabond is your starting career, that means you have to buy all the advances to Wounds on offer before progressing to a new career.

As for what would be a good next career, there's nothing wrong with the ones comicshorse suggested, but there are some important considerations involved in choosing your next career.

1. Is the new career actually one that fits your character and how easy is it to enter the career? For instance, does your Vagabond actually want to become an Entertainer? Even if he does, will your GM require you to do more than buy the trappings and start busking on a street corner? I.e. it's all very well declaring yourself a Coachman or Roadwarden, but you actually need to get hired by the appropriate agency to do the job as well. And once you're hired, they might have something to say about you going AWOL to pursue independent adventures.

2. Consider what advanced career or careers you'd ultimately like your character to have. The only way to enter one is to have been in a basic or advanced career that offers a particular career as a career exit. So it's all very well switching to Entertainer to pick up some fancy ranged combat talents, but where will you go after that? Does Entertainer offer exits to advanced careers you're interested in? If not, you're probably wasting time and resources detouring through Entertainer. Look for another basic career that provides both skills/talents you want and exits you're interested in. This is assuming you don't want to go into Scout, because then it's still just a matter of getting the trappings together.

7. - Top - End - #877

RedWizardGuy

That's a bit of a trick question. You have to complete each career you enter, which means taking all characteristic advances, skills and talents that you don't already have (though if a career offers a choice between two skills/talents, you only have to take one), before you can enter a new one. Since Vagabond is your starting career, that means you have to buy all the advances to Wounds on offer before progressing to a new career.

As for what would be a good next career, there's nothing wrong with the ones comicshorse suggested, but there are some important considerations involved in choosing your next career.

1. Is the new career actually one that fits your character and how easy is it to enter the career? For instance, does your Vagabond actually want to become an Entertainer? Even if he does, will your GM require you to do more than buy the trappings and start busking on a street corner? I.e. it's all very well declaring yourself a Coachman or Roadwarden, but you actually need to get hired by the appropriate agency to do the job as well. And once you're hired, they might have something to say about you going AWOL to pursue independent adventures.

2. Consider what advanced career or careers you'd ultimately like your character to have. The only way to enter one is to have been in a basic or advanced career that offers a particular career as a career exit. So it's all very well switching to Entertainer to pick up some fancy ranged combat talents, but where will you go after that? Does Entertainer offer exits to advanced careers you're interested in? If not, you're probably wasting time and resources detouring through Entertainer. Look for another basic career that provides both skills/talents you want and exits you're interested in. This is assuming you don't want to go into Scout, because then it's still just a matter of getting the trappings together.
    My Advanced career goal is Scout. But isn't the problem getting trappings in the first place? Is there a rule that says you can't advance to an exit career two careera ago? Or do exit careers limit yourself to your current career listed options? Like if you graduated from vagabond into bone picker, and graduate again, can you still advance into Scout?

I guess I should finish my career in vagabond first (aka advance in relatively useless vagabond stuff) and then decide from there.

8. - Top - End - #878
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

My Advanced career goal is Scout. But isn't the problem getting trappings in the first place? Is there a rule that says you can't advance to an exit career two careera ago? Or do exit careers limit yourself to your current career listed options? Like if you graduated from vagabond into bone picker, and graduate again, can you still advance into Scout?
    No, that's all by the book, so you could certainly go to Bone Picker and still go directly to Scout once you've finished that career (there's a sidebar on p. 29 of the rulebook that makes this really clear).

I just wasn't certain that you were interested in going into Scout at all. Reading your earlier reply I thought you were looking for an alternative to Scout that would be easier to get into. Hence my second point.

I suppose I've just never run into a genuine problem getting the trappings I want or need before it being time to move into a new career. Certainly picking up a mail shirt and a horse isn't such an obstacle IME that I've needed to detour through a different career before going into the one I really want.

9. - Top - End - #879

RedWizardGuy

No, that's all by the book, so you could certainly go to Bone Picker and still go directly to Scout once you've finished that career (there's a sidebar on p. 29 of the rulebook that makes this really clear).

I just wasn't certain that you were interested in going into Scout at all. Reading your earlier reply I thought you were looking for an alternative to Scout that would be easier to get into. Hence my second point.

I suppose I've just never run into a genuine problem getting the trappings I want or need before it being time to move into a new career. Certainly picking up a mail shirt and a horse isn't such an obstacle IME that I've needed to detour through a different career before going into the one I really want.
    To be fair, I don't really know what I want. Like I want scout because advanced careers are better then basic careers. Also being a vagabond isn't the most glamorous career, even among the sorry lot that is Warhammer fantasy. I'm not sure what the initial rate of treasure and trappings gain is. The first mission gave 1 silver, and I spent 1 silver on entering the city alone. The second mission paid 10 gold each, and we found a trappings ( magic book, leather armor , Stone axe). We were forced into selling it for 5 gold during a failed haggle roll.
    Last edited by HMS Invincible; 2019-09-28 at 04:30 PM.

10. - Top - End - #880
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    I'd suggest asking Telok. He's got some Spelljammer/Rogue Trader mash-up going on that sounds like an awful lot of fun.
    Oof. I've let that thread lay around a bit haven't I? They may (or may not) accidentally damage an ancient space station trapping a neutronium golem, sending it into the sun and eventually destroying a star system. Which would bring them to the attention of the Elven Imperial Navy who might recognize them as the ones who started a war between the EIN and Gehenna. Plus Chundar the Boobarian (of indeterminate gender) is in the system looking for them as a "love interest" that they really want to avoid. A cyber-knight of Pelor the Burning Hate is hunting one of them. And the halfling werewolf illusionist assassin has finally tracked them down.

I'm scheduling a bar fight at the Elvis impersonator contest in an ork karaoke bar in an inflatable habitat on the outer rim of a space station.

My method is to sort of offer three or four long term things for the party to do, with about three stages for each. Then keep track of who they offend, befrend, and otherwise interact with in a memorable manner. The EIN were potential allies that they attacked instead. Chundar was an opponent that they defeated but didn't confirm the kill. The Pelorite is from a character background 'Enemy' that someone took for more points at character creation, called up by a Perils of the Warp roll. The assassin is because they blew up some halfling mafia stuff without killing the actual mafia guys or making sure they hadn't been identified before the attack.

Thankfully at this point the party has become somewhat self motivated and I'm just statting up or keeping track of enemies, the next adventure location, and the consequences of what they've done. Not on tap this month: the mind flayer/aboleth cabal that they recently annoyed. Vivec, a daemon godling whose city they unleashed a ghost rat plague and rival daemon lord in. Or a halfling mafi don from Sigil whose name one of them has mis-recorded as the name of a pirate ship and the player has been talking up as some sort of super-pirate gang.
    Last edited by Telok; 2019-09-28 at 05:08 PM.

11. - Top - End - #881
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

To be fair, I don't really know what I want. Like I want scout because advanced careers are better then basic careers. Also being a vagabond isn't the most glamorous career, even among the sorry lot that is Warhammer fantasy. I'm not sure what the initial rate of treasure and trappings gain is. The first mission gave 1 silver, and I spent 1 silver on entering the city alone. The second mission paid 10 gold each, and we found a trappings ( magic book, leather armor , Stone axe). We were forced into selling it for 5 gold during a failed haggle roll.
    WFRP gives the GM a free hand to determine what sort of payment and treasure to offer characters, but a mission paying 1 silver? That's rough. I mean, the table for services on p. 121 suggests that a skilled servant with 400 xp of advances should cost 10 silver/day to hire (and 20 silver = 1 gold). Even a starting character with 100 xp should net 6 silver/day according to the table. Now obviously this table is for NPC hirelings, but it seems pretty cheap to pay budding adventurers less than an NPC with the same amount of xp.

This sounds like your best bet is to simply have a direct conversation with the GM to find out whether he's intentionally making it difficult to acquire trappings and if so, why?

12. - Top - End - #882
    Troll in the Playground

WFRP gives the GM a free hand to determine what sort of payment and treasure to offer characters, but a mission paying 1 silver? That's rough. I mean, the table for services on p. 121 suggests that a skilled servant with 400 xp of advances should cost 10 silver/day to hire (and 20 silver = 1 gold). Even a starting character with 100 xp should net 6 silver/day according to the table. Now obviously this table is for NPC hirelings, but it seems pretty cheap to pay budding adventurers less than an NPC with the same amount of xp.

This sounds like your best bet is to simply have a direct conversation with the GM to find out whether he's intentionally making it difficult to acquire trappings and if so, why?
    And that's hiring the servant to serve drinks in a warm house not force march through mud to attack a bunch of thugs who stand a chance of ending their lives in a hideous messy and painful manner
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

13. - Top - End - #883

RedWizardGuy

Another week, another session. Game got bogged down in a series of dangerous whiffing glass cannons. Got hit once, and immediately had to spend fortune to make them reroll. Everyone had to do it, even for minor hits. We are in an escort mission, with 6 guards, and the 3 of us. With equal number of highwaymen, the fight is a real slog, deadly but boring. Again, I feel range gets screwed. Had a guy charge me with a slow axe, I don't get to dodge or parry, cuz I'm an archer. Say bye to my fortune points, as I proceed to run away. These guys get better bows then me. But at least I'll get a chance to restock on arrows, just have to be alive at the end.

14. - Top - End - #884
    Titan in the Playground

Has anyone played Wrath and Glory?

15. - Top - End - #885
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    I ran a short campaign with it. I liked it well enough, though the layout and editing of the book are pretty bad. The system itself is broad, but shallow and I hope it gets more material sooner rather than later.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

16. - Top - End - #886
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Another week, another session. Game got bogged down in a series of dangerous whiffing glass cannons. Got hit once, and immediately had to spend fortune to make them reroll. Everyone had to do it, even for minor hits. We are in an escort mission, with 6 guards, and the 3 of us. With equal number of highwaymen, the fight is a real slog, deadly but boring. Again, I feel range gets screwed. Had a guy charge me with a slow axe, I don't get to dodge or parry, cuz I'm an archer. Say bye to my fortune points, as I proceed to run away. These guys get better bows then me. But at least I'll get a chance to restock on arrows, just have to be alive at the end.
    Yes, this sounds like typical early-campaign WFRP, unfortunately. Fighting 1-career guys while you yourself are a 1-career guy tends to make it come down to whoever gets the luckiest dice first, and while there's a nigh-limitless supply of enemies, you have only 2 or maybe 3 rerolls per session.

Your DM giving your opponents two-handed weapons similarly seems like a bit of a cruel move on their part, simply because - as I said above - he gets as many of them as he wants whereas your party might not even have one, and they don't need to worry about healing and resources whereas you always do.

The best advice I can give is to just be as ruthless as possible. Hide behind your allies, hide under scenery, gang up two-on-one against enemies... There's no honour in a WFRP fight. Once you get through your first battle, you can then loot your opponent - pick up new weapons, any kind of armour, EVERYTHING - and you're suddenly in a much better position than before.

In the meantime, two things you can do that might help?
    One is to hold your action to go last in the round, even if you have a good initiative. As an archer you can hit anyone at any time if you want, so going last by choice is fine. It's usually better to hold your action and flee from someone who attacks you, rather than be stuck with them and be forced to spend actions on disengaging - or worse, trying to break from combat and getting hit for free.

The other is, don't be afraid to grapple your enemy. Unless your DM has been a real jerk and all of his basic mooks are St40+ from the beginning, you should have at least a 50/50 shot of interrupting the guy as he approaches you and then pinning him in place. The best case scenario is that it makes it easy for a nearby friend to put them down while you make them an easy target. Usually, if there's no one around, you're at least making sure that the guy has to spend an action trying to free himself and NOT hitting your with a big axe. Worst case scenario is that you fail the roll and he tries to hit you - which he was always going to try and do anyway, so you haven't lost anything.

Alternatively, take a page out of history - even professional archers ways carried a sword, and usually a shield, just in case what happened to you happened to them. Until you've picked up your second or even third career, you're not "an archer" - you're a guy in a fight who is holding a bow, try not to get hung up on labels
    Last edited by Wraith; 2019-10-06 at 06:56 AM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

17. - Top - End - #887
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    I've not played it, but it's the next game on my list.

As has been said, the layout leaves a lot to be desired, it's incredibly broad (to the point where running a 'just Space Marines' game is remarkably difficult), and it's in desperate need of more material. While this is made worse by the comparison to the old RPGs, which had both focus and a decent release schedule, it's pretty problematic on it's own.

I'd say a big part of the problem is that while the game obviously wants to be 'play your favourite unit from the tabletop' the character choices are more like a poor man's mixture of the first three FFG games. Rank 1 is roughly the level of Dark Heresy (with some archetypes promoted to Rank 2), Rank 2 is roughly the level of Rogue Trader but is missing a bunch of iconic options, Rank 3 is roughly the level of Deathwatch but the choice of Space Marine Archetypes is laughable, and Rank 4 is meant to be Dark Heresy: Ascension and as such expects a lot of characters promoted from lower Ranks.

The ranks for some Careers are also a bit weird, an Imperial Guard Commissioner is two Ranks higher than a normal Guardsman, equal to a Tactical Marine and one Rank lower than an Inquisitor. In fact there's a few Careers that make more sense as Rank 2 but seem to have been promoted to Rank 3 to balance the selection a bit more, Han Solo types, Crusaders, and Commisioners are all higher in Rank than a Sister of Battle.

But the system is good, it's mainly missing content. It needs books to flesh out particular campaign models, such as Inquisition games, Front Line games, and street-level games.

Also, as I mentioned up thread, I don't like how it included Primaris Space Marines but left out the Adeptus Arbites. While it was obvious that the iconic power armoured dudes were going to be featured, even on the cover, the Primaris are a recent enough development that I honestly expected them to be splatbook material.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

18. - Top - End - #888
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Also, as I mentioned up thread, I don't like how it included Primaris Space Marines but left out the Adeptus Arbites. While it was obvious that the iconic power armoured dudes were going to be featured, even on the cover, the Primaris are a recent enough development that I honestly expected them to be splatbook material.
    Just like you said, W&G's archetype selection focuses on wargame units, and Primaris Marines are being pushed pretty hard. It's no real surprise they made it in. I agree that various baseline human archetypes being Tier 3 is odd. I agree it's probably a balance concern, so there's some humans there who don't need to be ascended first.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

19. - Top - End - #889
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Just like you said, W&G's archetype selection focuses on wargame units, and Primaris Marines are being pushed pretty hard. It's no real surprise they made it in. I agree that various baseline human archetypes being Tier 3 is odd. I agree it's probably a balance concern, so there's some humans there who don't need to be ascended first.
    Except, going by the last time I played the wargame, they're not. I don't remember Gangers, Adepts, or any of the other nonmilitary careers for humans in there. They seem to gone half way, taking some iconic wargame units and some options from the old RPGs, which leads to this weird mix. Either they should have left out the Primaris Space Marines and focused on providing old options, or left out the noncombat options and focused on the wargame units.

I still think they didn't need both Tactical Marines and Tactical Marines+ though. In fact Primaris Marines just won't exist when I'm running the game, I find them somewhat stupid and something that's only there to sell more models (shock I know is GW's business model, but RPGs are the one medium where Astartes and Astartes++ are possibly detrimental to focus on*).

* I really do think the previous set of RPGS got it right focusing on the Inquisition first, they're popular enough for a relatively niche product and lens themselves to somewhat more varied stories.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

20. - Top - End - #890

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Yes, this sounds like typical early-campaign WFRP, unfortunately. Fighting 1-career guys while you yourself are a 1-career guy tends to make it come down to whoever gets the luckiest dice first, and while there's a nigh-limitless supply of enemies, you have only 2 or maybe 3 rerolls per session.

Your DM giving your opponents two-handed weapons similarly seems like a bit of a cruel move on their part, simply because - as I said above - he gets as many of them as he wants whereas your party might not even have one, and they don't need to worry about healing and resources whereas you always do.

The best advice I can give is to just be as ruthless as possible. Hide behind your allies, hide under scenery, gang up two-on-one against enemies... There's no honour in a WFRP fight. Once you get through your first battle, you can then loot your opponent - pick up new weapons, any kind of armour, EVERYTHING - and you're suddenly in a much better position than before.

In the meantime, two things you can do that might help?
    One is to hold your action to go last in the round, even if you have a good initiative. As an archer you can hit anyone at any time if you want, so going last by choice is fine. It's usually better to hold your action and flee from someone who attacks you, rather than be stuck with them and be forced to spend actions on disengaging - or worse, trying to break from combat and getting hit for free.

The other is, don't be afraid to grapple your enemy. Unless your DM has been a real jerk and all of his basic mooks are St40+ from the beginning, you should have at least a 50/50 shot of interrupting the guy as he approaches you and then pinning him in place. The best case scenario is that it makes it easy for a nearby friend to put them down while you make them an easy target. Usually, if there's no one around, you're at least making sure that the guy has to spend an action trying to free himself and NOT hitting your with a big axe. Worst case scenario is that you fail the roll and he tries to hit you - which he was always going to try and do anyway, so you haven't lost anything.

Alternatively, take a page out of history - even professional archers ways carried a sword, and usually a shield, just in case what happened to you happened to them. Until you've picked up your second or even third career, you're not "an archer" - you're a guy in a fight who is holding a bow, try not to get hung up on labels
    Is it better to hold a hand weapon first, and then switch to a bow when safe? The action economy is brutal without the free action load talent.
    I'll keep in mind to go last next time via holding action.
    Last edited by HMS Invincible; 2019-10-07 at 09:55 AM.

21. - Top - End - #891
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Except, going by the last time I played the wargame, they're not. I don't remember Gangers, Adepts, or any of the other nonmilitary careers for humans in there. They seem to gone half way, taking some iconic wargame units and some options from the old RPGs, which leads to this weird mix. Either they should have left out the Primaris Space Marines and focused on providing old options, or left out the noncombat options and focused on the wargame units.
    Fair point on the ganders and Inquisition acolytes, I suppose.

I still think they didn't need both Tactical Marines and Tactical Marines+ though. In fact Primaris Marines just won't exist when I'm running the game, I find them somewhat stupid and something that's only there to sell more models (shock I know is GW's business model, but RPGs are the one medium where Astartes and Astartes++ are possibly detrimental to focus on*).

* I really do think the previous set of RPGS got it right focusing on the Inquisition first, they're popular enough for a relatively niche product and lens themselves to somewhat more varied stories.
    I'm certainly not going to argue in favor of Primaris Marines, as I likewise find them a daft idea to begin with. The one game I've run took part in the DH1E timeline and so will any potential future ones, most likely. But I'm not surprised they're a thing in W&G. And if not Inquisition, then maybe focusing on humans/Imperials to start with might have made the core book spread itself a bit less thin.
    Last edited by Morty; 2019-10-07 at 11:01 AM.

22. - Top - End - #892
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Fair point on the ganders and Inquisition acolytes, I suppose.
    As I said, I'd have possibly liked it a lot more if had gone more in on the 'war RPG front' and only given us archetypes based on wargame units.

I'm certainly not going to argue in favor of Primaris Marines, as I likewise find them a daft idea to begin with. The one game I've run took part in the DH1E timeline and so will any potential future ones, most likely. But I'm not surprised they're a thing in W&G. And if not Inquisition, then maybe focusing on humans/Imperials to start with might have made the core book spread itself a bit less thin.
    I think it might have been better if they'd left the Eldar and Orks out.

I just picked the Inquisition because, IIRC, they're the biggest source of books not set in a warzone. But certainly a bigger focus on the Imperials would have made the corebook more cohisive, everybody other than the humans are limited to three archetypes (sure, Renegades get Chaos Space Marines, but that's literally just a reskin of the Tactical Marine archetype, they didn't even give them their own writeup).

Show

23. - Top - End - #893
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Is it better to hold a hand weapon first, and then switch to a bow when safe? The action economy is brutal without the free action load talent.
    I'll keep in mind to go last next time via holding action.
    Truthfully, I've never really played an archer so I can't say for sure what the most efficient way of doing it would be. That's my "I'm not a lawyer, but..." statement for what comes next, so please bare it in mind!

Early on, I haven't found a reason to NOT carry a one-handed weapon and a shield. They're cheap, abundant, versatile and require no skill investment so any career can use them. They're not overpowered, but they're one of the few equalisers that means that anyone can get into a fight and be more-or-less effective in short order.

You don't have to sacrifice the theme of your character - if you want to be an archer, then by all means go out and arch - but WFRP is the kind of game where you often need to be pragmatic in order to succeed. If you don't have the skills to defend yourself while using a bow, you either need to make arrangements to have someone else defend you or position yourself somewhere safe while you do it. Otherwise, choose between getting stabbed a lot or switching out your gear as required.

Please don't let me convince you that WFRP is dour and miserable and that you're not allowed to play what you want to play. That absolutely isn't true, but it *is* meant to be threatening and dangerous for everyone, until you've made yourself into a powerful hero - it's a feature, not a bug!
    Fight dirty, fight smart, protect your friends - there's lots of scary things out in the Warhammer World, and you really shouldn't be standing toe-to-toe with any of them, if you can help it.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2019-10-08 at 05:30 AM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

24. - Top - End - #894
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    You don't have to sacrifice the theme of your character - if you want to be an archer, then by all means go out and arch - but WFRP is the kind of game where you often need to be pragmatic in order to succeed. If you don't have the skills to defend yourself while using a bow, you either need to make arrangements to have someone else defend you or position yourself somewhere safe while you do it. Otherwise, choose between getting stabbed a lot or switching out your gear as required.
    Yup. Exactly this.

I'm playing a Halfling messenger in a PbP game right now. He's skilled with a sling (because Halfling) but has no talents to improve accuracy, damage or RoF, nor does he have Dodge Blow trained. I consistently write him as staying behind any front line and using terrain (cover/obstacles/difficult terrain) to prevent melee enemies from easily closing with him or charging him. If necessary, he would also fall back to maintain distance to his opponents.

With that said, one advantage of using a sling is that you can use a shield at the same time, so my Halfling does get a free parry if attacked in melee. As a Halfling, he also has high Agility, which means he'll often win initiative and so get to act before his opponents.

25. - Top - End - #895

RedWizardGuy

Thanks for the heads up.
    I talked to the GM about treasure. He wants organic trapping gain. He Doesn't want to know our career path. AKA if I want a horse I better Earn it from someone with connections or kill a horse bandit.

26. - Top - End - #896
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

That's fair enough, as long as he actually makes such things achievable. Even WFRP isn't actually designed so that characters wallow around at the bottom of the pile forever.

27. - Top - End - #897
    Ettin in the Playground

Basically the entire rogue trader line on Humble Bundle for $18.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

28. - Top - End - #898
    Troll in the Playground

Apart from the ones in 'Navis Primer' are there any other alternate career ranks for a member of the Adeptus Mechanicus and in which books are they ?

29. - Top - End - #899
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Genetor is in Into The Storm, for Biologis types. Arch-Heretek is in Hostile Acquisitions.

30. - Top - End - #900
    Titan in the Playground

Basically the entire rogue trader line on Humble Bundle for $18.
    Must. Resist. Urge. To. Buy. Entire. Line. Until. Saturday.

Show