New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 62122232425262728293031323334353637 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer & 40K RPGs Thread III: With Friends Like These, Who Needs Heresies?

Well I reading stuff related to Warhammer 40k led me to coming up to two ideas.

First some sort of plot story hook thing with a Tech Priest who was somehow subjected to a genestealer infection. I don't know how it would all fit together but in short the techy bits at some point allow them to resist the genestealery stuff.

Second idea is a thing for Rogue Trader. An Arch Militant character who was a serf of a destroyed space marine chapter. Probably the White Lions I guess. Hates the Inquisition. Also might be obsessed with turning themself into a space marine. How good can Arch Militants be at medicine and weapon knowledge?
    DEGENERATION 86: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 from the degeneration when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.

2. - Top - End - #902
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer & 40K RPGs Thread III: With Friends Like These, Who Needs Heresies?

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Genetor is in Into The Storm, for Biologis types. Arch-Heretek is in Hostile Acquisitions.
    Thanks. Hmmm none of those really float my boat I'll just have to stick to the basic career
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

3. - Top - End - #903
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    Thanks. Hmmm none of those really float my boat I'll just have to stick to the basic career
    There's a few generic ones you are eligible for as well. Manhunter is compatible with any career, though it's meant for arch militant, and its sniping talents are honestly busted.

4. - Top - End - #904
    Troll in the Playground

There's a few generic ones you are eligible for as well. Manhunter is compatible with any career, though it's meant for arch militant, and its sniping talents are honestly busted.
    What's busted about being able to shoot off an undamaged bloodthirster's leg with a Called Shot?
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

5. - Top - End - #905
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm. Techpriest Acolyte who is not a good fit for the Ad Mech. Recruited using a faceless cogs in the machine ideology led to some random orphan being pressgamged into the admech despite showing no particular tendencies in that direction.
    DEGENERATION 86: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 from the degeneration when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.

6. - Top - End - #906
    Bugbear in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

So, my friends and I have wrapped up a campaign, and on deciding our next, we found that between us we have 3 copies of 1st edition Dark Heresy, so we decided to take the plunge. We're all familiar with the 40k setting overall, and I am focusing on running the game as Investigative mixed with Survival Horror. Are there any pitfalls of the system I should be aware of? Any helpful tips for those who have played the game would be greatly appreciated, as a system is bound to have a few out of the box bugs, that sometimes the Errata can't fix.
    Longtime lurker, Infrequent poster.

Avalanche in Hell of the Improbability Drive Fan Club

7. - Top - End - #907
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Make sure that you use the errata for Psychic powers. As published in 1st Edition, they are VERY wonky and have been known to cause all sorts of problems.

Give the players lots of chances to earn back their Fortune points. DH combat can be VERY unforgiving as nearly everyone is only ever 1 lucky dice roll away from death, and Fortune/Fate is their best way of persisting. It's a good way to reward players for roleplaying and making important decisions, regardless of whether or not they succeed - 40k is big and scary, and yet you need your players to be pro-active without having to bribe them all the time. Giving them a fair chance to succeed, and to survive if they fail, is a good compromise.

In a similar vein, try to remain keenly aware of what equipment your characters are using. The difference between Primitive weapons/armour and the 'futuristic' stuff can be very important, especially when you have a mix - shooting Primitive weapons at futuristic armour is futile, but shooting futuristic weapons at Primitive armour is horrifically dangerous, and the game can quickly turn into rocket-tag if you're not careful.

Try not to use Corruption frivolously. It's definitely a lot of fun to see your players turn into tormented, freakish husks of their former selves, but the experience should be dramatic like Call of Cthulhu, rather than funny, like in Fallout. Corruption is near irreversible and represents the obliteration of the character's eternal soul - it should be horrifying and your players shouldn't be in the typical RPG mindset of budgeting their points like HP; "anything better than 0 and I'm good to go!"

And don't introduce Space Marines unless you really mean it. Despite nominally using the same rule set, the difference between Acolyte and Astartes is astoundingly disproportionate and you're better off without the headache of trying to get it to work!

And finally, whatever else happens; do NOT open the book. In 40k, books only ever contain evil and heresy, avoid them at all costs.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

8. - Top - End - #908
    Ogre in the Playground

Don't forget test modifiers - especially positive modifiers. I've known a few GMs who never make tests easier (despite the fact that it really should be Easy to know the name of a major Imperial saint...), and it makes a big difference to the game.

There's a difficulty scale in the book, with a range of modifiers, and the errata extends the size of bonus you can stack up to +60 (from +30 originally). Not every test needs to have a positive modifier to it, but some should - and always remember not to roll unless the outcome is actually interesting, the odds of them failing is high and if there's no point they just feel incompetent for no reason.

Fights should always be avoidable. Combat's very, very dangerous and could easily cripple or kill a character, so fights like "and now some random gangsters try and kill you" should be avoided. Unless the gangsters were hired by the rich guy the PCs upset, of course.

Seconding Wraith - don't believe the books when they talk about cross line compatibility. There are some quite substantial problems when you try and do it.
    Amazing Banshee avatar by Strawberries. Many, many thanks.

9. - Top - End - #909
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by One Step Two View Post
    So, my friends and I have wrapped up a campaign, and on deciding our next, we found that between us we have 3 copies of 1st edition Dark Heresy, so we decided to take the plunge. We're all familiar with the 40k setting overall, and I am focusing on running the game as Investigative mixed with Survival Horror. Are there any pitfalls of the system I should be aware of? Any helpful tips for those who have played the game would be greatly appreciated, as a system is bound to have a few out of the box bugs, that sometimes the Errata can't fix.
    I'd recommend using the later version of critical hits (Righteous Fury/Zealous Hatred/whatever they call it). Instead of adding 1d10 damage to the roll, if the initial attack inflicts damage past armor/toughness, it also inflicts a minor critical hit (roll d5) to the location struck. If the initial attack is completely blocked by the armor/toughness, the attack instead inflicts one point of damage that ignores armor/toughness.

I second not allowing Space Marines (except as one-off allies, maybe as in The All Guardsmen Party, and controlled by the players) until your PCs have, like, 12,000 xp. Maybe more.
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2019-11-07 at 10:05 AM. Reason: expect vs except. Just two letters swapped...
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

10. - Top - End - #910

SamuraiGuy

Thanks for the advice everyone, I really appreciate the perspective! I already had it in mind that the idea of cross-playing the systems (Dark Heresy and Deathwatch for example) was a bad idea, partly because the tone of the game I want to run leans more to the slow paced exploration of the dark corners of the of the galaxy they lived in, and even an average Space Marine would undermine that.

The Righteous Fury change sounds pretty good, and from what else I found online I like the idea that the damage minimum for any attack cannot be lower than the attackers degrees of success for the to-hit roll, giving high-accuracy characters a little more oomph, but I think it will be a fine line to run across, as Combat definitely appears to be deadly enough as it is.

11. - Top - End - #911
    Ettin in the Playground

The Righteous Fury change sounds pretty good, and from what else I found online I like the idea that the damage minimum for any attack cannot be lower than the attackers degrees of success for the to-hit roll, giving high-accuracy characters a little more oomph, but I think it will be a fine line to run across, as Combat definitely appears to be deadly enough as it is.
    Haven't heard of that one. Does that mean that a laspistol shot that hits with 5 degrees of success but rolls a 1 for damage (1d10+2) inflicts 5 damage instead of 3?

The original Deathwatch Righteous Fury was pretty broken. If you rolled a 10 (or 9 -10 for certain weapons) for any of the damage dice, you'd roll damage again and add it to the first result. If any of those dice were 10s, you'd roll damage again, and so on. Stormbolters with Hellfire Rounds could regularly inflict hundreds of points of damage per turn. They errated it back to just an extra damage die per "10" result.
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2019-11-07 at 10:15 AM.
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

12. - Top - End - #912
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    I'd recommend using the later version of critical hits (Righteous Fury/Zealous Hatred/whatever they call it). Instead of adding 1d10 damage to the roll, if the initial attack inflicts damage past armor/toughness, it also inflicts a minor critical hit (roll d5) to the location struck. If the initial attack is completely blocked by the armor/toughness, the attack instead inflicts one point of damage that ignores armor/toughness.
    That is so much better. I remember once one shotting one of the toughest characters in the party due to a lucky crit inflicting something like 18 damage to the head (on somebody who hadn't had the chance to pick up a helmet yet).

I second not allowing Space Marines (except as one-off allies, maybe as in The All Guardsmen Party, and controlled by the players) until your PCs have, like, 12,000 xp. Maybe more.
    This. Even then, you have to deal with Dark Heresy PCs tending to advance much faster than everybody else at higher ranks. Plus, well, Space Marines are rare, with there officially being less than one for every inhabited world in the Imperium. Until you're doing an Ascension-level game, and arguably even then, the presence of Space Marines should be a rare thing, and an important part of the scenario itself.

On that note, one of the biggest disappointments was when I played Deathwatch and the GM only saw Space Marines as big armoured people who got into drop pods and charged straight at the enemy. This manifested in two ways, the first being that guardsmen treated us as closer to higher ranked soldiers instead of Angels of Death (thankfully most of the players had the right idea, and took a caring but superior stance with regards to humans). The second was that when the squad's Librarian (nominal leader) and apothecary (me) both wanted to scout and gather information on a cultist stronghold, including making planetfall a few miles away and fainting a march in the other direction to stop them from running while we were on-route we were denied the ability to do anything except take a drop pod to right on top of their location (ha, try hitting a warehouse-sized building from orbit with 40k targeting). Bare in mind we both had Intelligence scores in the high forties, I think mine might have broken fifty from an advancement. My character would never have walked in the front door without knowing what was there, and I wanted to take a meltagun with us so I could come in the back wall and flank them (meltagun was denied).

To be fair the two of us had a style mishmash, he ran Deathwatch as an excuse for as much combat as possible, I ran Dark Heresy with a big emphasis on building up to the eventual firefight.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

13. - Top - End - #913
    Ogre in the Playground

Haven't heard of that one. Does that mean that a laspistol shot that hits with 5 degrees of success but rolls a 1 for damage (1d10+2) inflicts 5 damage instead of 3?

The original Deathwatch Righteous Fury was pretty broken. If you rolled a 10 (or 9 -10 for certain weapons) for any of the damage dice, you'd roll damage again and add it to the first result. If any of those dice were 10s, you'd roll damage again, and so on. Stormbolters with Hellfire Rounds could regularly inflict hundreds of points of damage per turn. They errated it back to just an extra damage die per "10" result.
    That's actually a rule in some of the books. Not sure about DH1e, but pretty sure it was in Rogue Trader, and definitely in Only War. You can replace the result of one damage die with your DoS. So, in your example, that shot would deal 7 damage.

14. - Top - End - #914
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aneurin View Post
    That's actually a rule in some of the books. Not sure about DH1e, but pretty sure it was in Rogue Trader, and definitely in Only War. You can replace the result of one damage die with your DoS. So, in your example, that shot would deal 7 damage.
    Does that apply to all hits from your attack roll (semi/full auto)? Or only to single-shot weapons?

15. - Top - End - #915
    Ogre in the Playground

Does that apply to all hits from your attack roll (semi/full auto)? Or only to single-shot weapons?
    To one damage dice roll, if I'm remembering correctly. So it would only apply to one weapon hit (though it could be any), similarly if your weapon had more than one damage dice (e.g. 2d10) you could only change the damage on one of those dice.

16. - Top - End - #916

SamuraiGuy

So, after doing some reading, here's other thoughts I have had

On mechanics: Most of my players enjoy rolling stats, so I am going to have them pool rolls and I will toss them into an array, that way they can pick a "rolled" statline, but no-one is going to have anything outlandish due to lucky dice rolls compared to the rest of the party.

Many thanks to Aneurin for clarifying that ruling on the DoS damage, definitely one I am going to make use of. However I'm a little on the fence about how I want to handle righteous fury still, Open ended rolls can make for exciting moments, but by the book, the need to toll to-hit again seems to slow that down? I don't want to bog down combat too much, so I am still learning a little more to just roll a d5 minor crit like Anonymouswizard recommended.

I got my hands on the Deamon Hunters book where it has the rules for Grey Knights, and the fact they are the equivalent of a Dark Heresy Character with over 13k exp, only reinforced the clarity of keeping them separated from acolytes. I know the fluff well enough to say with certainty that a Space Marine isn't just a jumped up shock trooper (That's what the Astra Militarium Storm Troopers are for after all), but that is hard Mechanics of the system that backs up the 'no' I gave to my one player who asked to play one, and turns it int a very firm No.

Speaking of players and setting,

So far we have two Guardsmen, one Sororitas(IH not Blood of Martyrs), an Arbite, a Scum, and an Assassin. My Arbite player has played a little of the system before and grabbed some background packages to diversify his Social skill pool, which great as he's usually my most reserved player. He knows this Setting really well, an avid fan of the wargame and novels, so I might use this as an opportunity to encourage him play the party lead which will be good for him.

My loose plans are for them to hunt down a few divergent cults from the imperial creed, and let their knowledge of the game setting guide their choices, basically, encourage a little meta-gaming so they can steep themselves in paranoia and fear, and I can provide the atmosphere around that.

Their party is looking a little like the all guardsman party (I've read it all a while back, still a classic), while I may ask for a little more... seriousness(?) from the players, I don't mind them playing the kick-in-the-door, shoot first, let the Adepts ask questions later approach. That sort of black-bagging suspected enemies of the state is pretty much how the Imperium rolls.

17. - Top - End - #917
    Ettin in the Playground

Many thanks to Aneurin for clarifying that ruling on the DoS damage, definitely one I am going to make use of. However I'm a little on the fence about how I want to handle righteous fury still, Open ended rolls can make for exciting moments, but by the book, the need to toll to-hit again seems to slow that down? I don't want to bog down combat too much, so I am still learning a little more to just roll a d5 minor crit like Anonymouswizard recommended.
    One reason I like the 1d5 on the crit hit table is that otherwise those results tend to not show up at all. Okay, at least in Deathwatch. Opponents would generally go from 5-6 wounds to -11 in a single blow, so the critical hit tables didn't see much use. Now when we're fighting a big bad, they can occasionally suffer from Fatigue or such, which is a nice change. But that's Deathwatch, where starting damage from a chainsword can be 1d10+15 pen4.

I know several people who toss out the "Confirm Righteous Fury" rolls altogether. Not a big deal.

18. - Top - End - #918

SamuraiGuy

One reason I like the 1d5 on the crit hit table is that otherwise those results tend to not show up at all. Okay, at least in Deathwatch. Opponents would generally go from 5-6 wounds to -11 in a single blow, so the critical hit tables didn't see much use. Now when we're fighting a big bad, they can occasionally suffer from Fatigue or such, which is a nice change. But that's Deathwatch, where starting damage from a chainsword can be 1d10+15 pen4.

I know several people who toss out the "Confirm Righteous Fury" rolls altogether. Not a big deal.
    I think I will be one of those same people who toss it out as well!

I'll let my players know that the Righteous Fury damage will be something that might change depending on my preferences as we go on. Playing Acolytes they wont likely run into that sort of power scale issue, until they can properly acquire heavier arms, at which point they will be better qualified to fight things that can stand up to those arms.

19. - Top - End - #919
    Troll in the Playground

I'm curious which of the FFG warhammer rpgs people think is most broken.

My personal thought is either Rogue Trader, for some of the wacked out mechanic breaking stuff, or Black Crusade for the sheer number inflation possible.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

20. - Top - End - #920

Dark Heresy 1e is broken because it was essentially the prototype for the entire game engine. The bones of the old WHFRPG made for an ill-fitting skeleton to build a new game on, and it took a lot of growing pains to work out (i.e., the dice pool Psychic Powers system hamfistedly grafted into the d100-roll-under universal mechanic of the core engine).

Rogue Trader is broken because it is by far the most 'Rocket Tag' of the entire line. You have characters with Dark Heresy human-grade durability and carrying Deathwatch space-marine level equipment - at least in DH the rocket tag is semi-predictable, RT adds easily affordable Force Fields to everybody for an extra level of variance.

Black Crusade is broken for many of the similar reasons DH1e was broken, it bore the weight of the edition change on its back as a sort of proto-2e. It tried to make Heretics and Legionnaires functional in a single party, which worked out even worse than mixing Acolytes and Astartes did in 1e.

So any of those three I'd award the 'broken' tag to some degree. Deathwatch is quasi-rocket tag with number inflation but mostly functional outside of that, Only War does its job fairly well, and DH2e is Only War with a Dark Heresy rubber mask on, largely embodying the fanbase divide between 1e and 2e.

21. - Top - End - #921

SamuraiGuy

Dark Heresy 1e is broken because....
    Thanks for the insights, I was under no illusions about a coherent sense of balance in the game by and large due to the sheer lethality presented, and the way characters are created reminded me very much of AD&D where characters, or at least how I was presented to the system: "Your character is a no-body without any elaborate backstory, those that survive become legends".
    While I have some issue with the idea that characters aren't inherently a little more special than others, it's fitting in tone for the 40k setting, the players are one of the untold trillions of humanity across a sea of stars trying to make their own corner of the galaxy less terrible.

But that's over-all me putting a positive spin to the system jankiness on it because of my enjoyment of the setting, but putting that aside, what other sorts of rules breaks can I expect? Just to clarify, There will be no cross-over between the splats, no Rogue Trader characters, or an abundance of exotic weapons falling into my characters laps, no crossover to Deathwatch unless we reach Ascension levels, (perhaps not even then). As much as possible, keeping Dark Heresy as a closed system.

Otherwise, out first game went quite well, the character interested in an Assassin is now playing a Tech-Priest instead. With two members of the party playing up their Schola progenium homeworld, it seems to be that going into Radical Territory will be an outlier. When I get my session notes in order, I might write up a more comprehensive story about the session as I have the Acolytes investigating a cult who believe that prayer to the Astronomican while in the warp will ease their passage, to find out if they are on the level.

22. - Top - End - #922

Thanks for the insights, I was under no illusions about a coherent sense of balance in the game by and large due to the sheer lethality presented, and the way characters are created reminded me very much of AD&D where characters, or at least how I was presented to the system: "Your character is a no-body without any elaborate backstory, those that survive become legends".
    While I have some issue with the idea that characters aren't inherently a little more special than others, it's fitting in tone for the 40k setting, the players are one of the untold trillions of humanity across a sea of stars trying to make their own corner of the galaxy less terrible.

But that's over-all me putting a positive spin to the system jankiness on it because of my enjoyment of the setting, but putting that aside, what other sorts of rules breaks can I expect? Just to clarify, There will be no cross-over between the splats, no Rogue Trader characters, or an abundance of exotic weapons falling into my characters laps, no crossover to Deathwatch unless we reach Ascension levels, (perhaps not even then). As much as possible, keeping Dark Heresy as a closed system.

Otherwise, out first game went quite well, the character interested in an Assassin is now playing a Tech-Priest instead. With two members of the party playing up their Schola progenium homeworld, it seems to be that going into Radical Territory will be an outlier. When I get my session notes in order, I might write up a more comprehensive story about the session as I have the Acolytes investigating a cult who believe that prayer to the Astronomican while in the warp will ease their passage, to find out if they are on the level.
    Specific points of trouble:
    -The careers are very hyper-specialized, to the point where a Guardsman or Assassin can just go to the bathroom or get a snack during social encounters or investigation obstacles because they have almost zero ability to contribute - Guardsmen can't even learn to read until rank 3. Similarly, Adepts all but useless in combat - they can spray Suppressive Fire to pin people, but that's about it. Tech-Priests are an oddity in that they throw off encounter balance by being hyper-tough and innately well-armored; when your fleshy characters need to worry about that gangster and his autogun, the TP can just wade through full-auto fire from an entire gang without a scratch. If you've ever played Shadowrun, you'll find a similar dynamic in how Mages/Deckers/Street Sams struggle to contribute outside their steel comfort cage.

-The Psy system is, as I've mentioned, a weird and clunky add-on. Dice pools, Thresholds, and Overbleed don't work like anything else in the engine. It's more work than it is worth to try and graft in the far-superior Focus Power system they introduced in RT and never looked back from, though.

-Coin-counting for equipment can lead to odd behaviors. On the one hand, you might get players who try their hardest to avoid or win fights without expending precious ammo, since even a trivial encounter with ganger thugs can cost them precious coin in addition to risking their lives. On the other hand, you might end up seeing them compulsively loot everything that isn't nailed down and on fire because the class-based stipends are almost laughably low (except the Noble, obviously).

-Rules-wise, one of the smaller but more impactful changes between 1e and 2e games was changing to-hit bonuses. In 1e, you get a +0 for Single shots, +10 for Semi-Auto Bursts, and +20 for Full Auto Bursts. In 2e, they reversed that and made carefully aimed single shots more accurate (+10), with Semi-Auto Burst being +0 and Full Auto Burst being -10. While it's not essential to alter, the latter version makes more sense and can help encourage conservation of ammo along with narrowing the bell curve of lethality.

23. - Top - End - #923

SamuraiGuy

Thanks again for the feedback, I really appreciate it! I've done a little spot welding of some issues that you brought up, which I will share:

Specific points of trouble:
    -The careers are very hyper-specialized...
    Though this is probably where I myself didn't do the fixing, my players are pretty canny and made some good use of background packages and a couple of alternate career paths, that everyone has a little bit of social skill. They'll definitely need to rely on eachother though. Moving forward there are two ideas I have in mind, one that I see crop up on different forums is that all elite advances only cost 50xp extra from their base. The other idea which admittedly might be a cludge is giving out "elite" experience points when the players act outside their career paths to spend on elite advances at the same cost. So if a guardsman tries his hand at a little bit of Inquiry, when he gets 100 elite exp, he can buy it for the base cost. In essence I want to keep a consistent theme that taking risks is worth a reward. I'll touch more on the Tech Priest when I get to gear.

-The Psy system is, as I've mentioned, a weird and clunky add-on.
    I'm lucky I get to sidestep this by lacking any Psykers in the party at the moment, but I might look at RT incase someone dies and decides they want to give it a go. But I did have plans on making a small scale flow chart for activating powers to streamline it all if push comes to shove.

-Coin-counting for equipment can lead to odd behaviors...
    This seemed fairly clear as an issue, so my initial plan is creating a "requisition" sub system. A player can approach an organization they are a part of and make a skill test of their choice along with any talents that apply, for equipment they wish to use, modified by availability, and +5 bonus per career two ranks they have in their path. And while this is GM fiat, a failure may not be an out-right no, but it may have strings attached.
    Approaching an organization you are not affiliated is treated as a basic test (half characteristic before bonuses), or requires the use of Deceive, or Disguise. Alternatively, if you show off your "Acolyte Rosette" you can use your full characteristic and get a further +10 bonus, but revealing you are on Inquisition Business, and that has other repercussions.
    For example, an Imperial Guardsman Sargent with an intelligence of of 30 and Common lore (Imperial Guard) +10, approaching a PDF or Imperial Guard quartermaster in a densely populated hive to requisition a Chainsword (+0 for average availability), will have a 50% chance of gaining it without issue, failing by a few degrees of success might take a little time for it to arrive, but a bribe might get those wheels turning faster. Attempting the same test at an Arbites Precinct, without pulling the Inquisition card would be a 25% chance of getting the item.

Of course, if they can buy it outright, no strings attached, they own it! Admittedly the failing of implementing this is letting a Tech Priest requisition new Implants might be troublesome, but I am more than happy to discuss with my players about story appropriate requests. For example I know that the player of the Scum can nail a +50 on deceive tests early on, and letting him run rampant by bilking every quartermaster he comes across is a poor precedent. I will reiterate that it's to help support the players and uplift a story, not turn it into a loot extravaganza. I'll update this as I go.

-Rules-wise, one of the smaller but more impactful changes between 1e and 2e games was changing to-hit bonuses. In 1e, you get a +0 for Single shots, +10 for Semi-Auto Bursts, and +20 for Full Auto Bursts. In 2e, they reversed that and made carefully aimed single shots more accurate (+10), with Semi-Auto Burst being +0 and Full Auto Burst being -10. While it's not essential to alter, the latter version makes more sense and can help encourage conservation of ammo along with narrowing the bell curve of lethality.
    And I had no idea about this one! I might steal that whole cloth to make accuracy more significant over indiscriminate fire. Leave the moar Dakka to the orks.
    Last edited by One Step Two; 2019-11-10 at 08:05 PM.

24. - Top - End - #924

I'd go to Dark Heresy 2e if you want to graft in a better Psi system - it was the last iteration and the most refined, in addition to being best suited for Acolyte level play. The trick will be figuring out when the Psyker can buy new powers, as it's a very restricted set of options in 1e, and Minor Powers don't exist at all outside a DH2e splatbook.

Overall it sounds like you've got a pretty good handle on things though. Cover is your friend, and setting things on fire is always useful. It's the single most debilitating status effect in the game, inflicting automatic damage with a Willpower test to not lose your turn and (if you pass that) a difficult Agility test to end the burning. Setting someone or something on fire is often an inevitable death sentence - which is phenomenally appropriate to the setting, but should have a careful eye applied to it for use in combat.

25. - Top - End - #925

SamuraiGuy

I'd go to Dark Heresy 2e if you want to graft in a better Psi system - it was the last iteration and the most refined, in addition to being best suited for Acolyte level play. The trick will be figuring out when the Psyker can buy new powers, as it's a very restricted set of options in 1e, and Minor Powers don't exist at all outside a DH2e splatbook.

Overall it sounds like you've got a pretty good handle on things though. Cover is your friend, and setting things on fire is always useful. It's the single most debilitating status effect in the game, inflicting automatic damage with a Willpower test to not lose your turn and (if you pass that) a difficult Agility test to end the burning. Setting someone or something on fire is often an inevitable death sentence - which is phenomenally appropriate to the setting, but should have a careful eye applied to it for use in combat.
    Thanks I'll see if I can track down a copy of 2e to get some ideas regarding Psykers. As for fire damage, ouch! While my players seem pretty clear on their characters fragility, a couple of out-of-game reminders might be best.

26. - Top - End - #926
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, fire's really nasty...

Unless you're a Tech-Priest. AP from the Machine trait works against fire, so it's entirely possible a few ranks in to have a Techpriest who is just straight up immune to fire damage. I think at that point I'd stop making them roll the WP test to act.

Oh, and in terms of loot, I actually quite like the money system. I'd usually end up giving my players free ammo refills between missions, to save a bit on the bean counting, and add in a few opportunities for them to make some extra cash on the side.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

27. - Top - End - #927
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    Oh, and in terms of loot, I actually quite like the money system. I'd usually end up giving my players free ammo refills between missions, to save a bit on the bean counting, and add in a few opportunities for them to make some extra cash on the side.
    Like taking a hefty bribe to look the other way, or let someone go

28. - Top - End - #928

SamuraiGuy

Just chiming in to talk about the 1st edition Errata Real quick. Aside from the whole slew of missing Skills and talents from career paths which is real mess, I wanted to touch on the Errata'd Corpus conversion Talent, permanent toughness loss for a one time benefit is super harsh. I can appreciate the nerf to the talent, it's pretty good in the original printing, but damn. Is there any way to heal characteristic damage, or did I just miss that part of the rules?

29. - Top - End - #929

RedWizardGuy

I wanted to post a final update for our campaign. It's ending because sandbox exploration doesn't work well with Warhammers deadly and swingy combat. We are moving onto Pathfinder 2E despite my objections. I wanted to thank everyone for their guidance. It was fun while it lasted.

30. - Top - End - #930
    Ettin in the Playground

Are the Thunderwolves (from Space Wolves' Thunderwolf Cavalry) given stats anywhere?