New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 722232425262728293031323334353637 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Re: Warhammer & 40K RPGs Thread III: With Friends Like These, Who Needs Heresies?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Are the Thunderwolves (from Space Wolves' Thunderwolf Cavalry) given stats anywhere?
    Not near my books right now, but I believe they are statted up as followers in First Founding.
    Spoiler
    Show

Warforged Upgrades
    Blade Lord Vestige
    Soulforged PrC
    Transformers RPG Now Updated as PDFs on Google Drive.

2. - Top - End - #932
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Warhammer & 40K RPGs Thread III: With Friends Like These, Who Needs Heresies?

So I could use some ideas/suggestions on fleshing out the next adventure in my RT game. Spoilering here, as I know at least one of my players still visits GITP from time to time.

Spoiler: You Know Who You Are, Keep Out
    Show

The crew has accepted a request from the Adeptus Mechanicus to go investigate why a top-secret research base has gone silent and stopped sending status reports. That's all they know to start, though if they pressure the NPC liaison hard enough they might learn the base is a joint operation with the Inquisition.

Specifically, though they won't know immediately, it's a co-sponsored project with radical elements of the Ordo Malleus to try and create artificial, purpose-tailored daemonhosts. It should surprise no one that this project has gone horribly, horribly wrong. There will be corrupted servitors, possessed Skitarii 'zombies', and eventually assorted minor daemons as they get deeper into the base and start uncovering clues. Progress will be gated by three locked doors with individual-coded keys, and a massive horned cyborg daemon as the final boss.

To make a long story short, I want to build this as a loving homage to classic DOOM, while also being a horror adventure. The trick is that I don't want it to be too obvious, because once the source material is recognized the jokes will start flying. Ideally that should be as late into the mission as I can make it, so suggestions on how to incorporate DOOM-like thematics and elements while masking their source are very welcome.

3. - Top - End - #933
    Colossus in the Playground

What's the most current 40k RPG? Is there one on the market at the moment?
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

4. - Top - End - #934

I think Wrath & Glory is still the 'most recent' even though it's been cancelled.

5. - Top - End - #935

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    I think Wrath & Glory is still the 'most recent' even though it's been cancelled.
    Wait, cancelled? I thought it was getting another print run. When did this come out?
    Spoiler
    Show

Warforged Upgrades
    Blade Lord Vestige
    Soulforged PrC

6. - Top - End - #936

Quote Originally Posted by lightningcat View Post
    Wait, cancelled? I thought it was getting another print run. When did this come out?
    I stand corrected - it was cancelled in May 2019 when Ulysses lost the license. Looks like Cubicle 7 picked it up though; it hasn't been re-released but their website features updates on progress as of Nov 22.

7. - Top - End - #937
    Titan in the Playground

So I could use some ideas/suggestions on fleshing out the next adventure in my RT game. Spoilering here, as I know at least one of my players still visits GITP from time to time.

Show
    To make a long story short, I want to build this as a loving homage to classic DOOM, while also being a horror adventure. The trick is that I don't want it to be too obvious, because once the source material is recognized the jokes will start flying. Ideally that should be as late into the mission as I can make it, so suggestions on how to incorporate DOOM-like thematics and elements while masking their source are very welcome.
    Spoiler: They know who they are
    Show
    The nice thing about DOOM is that a lot of the stuff is so classic as to have become generic. Let's see, though...

- Play up the 'Ad-Mech playing with forces they don't understand' elements. This is fairly common for AdMech as well, so should be safe.
    - Cover the walls in mysterious technical gubbins, blood, and burning arcane sigils
    - have dead bodies with lootable ammunition scattered around the place. Bonus points for giving them double-barrel shotguns and faceless helmet plates. Make sure to emphasise that these are Inquisition guys, to explain their presence and lack of cybernetics
    - no guardrails anywhere
    - have a bunch of possessed servo-skulls flying around. Have them fly at the players and explode. If examined, point out that they were utility skulls with no actual weapons.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

8. - Top - End - #938
    Troll in the Playground

Show

The crew has accepted a request from the Adeptus Mechanicus to go investigate why a top-secret research base has gone silent and stopped sending status reports. That's all they know to start, though if they pressure the NPC liaison hard enough they might learn the base is a joint operation with the Inquisition.

Specifically, though they won't know immediately, it's a co-sponsored project with radical elements of the Ordo Malleus to try and create artificial, purpose-tailored daemonhosts. It should surprise no one that this project has gone horribly, horribly wrong. There will be corrupted servitors, possessed Skitarii 'zombies', and eventually assorted minor daemons as they get deeper into the base and start uncovering clues. Progress will be gated by three locked doors with individual-coded keys, and a massive horned cyborg daemon as the final boss.

Spoiler
    Show
    Oil barrels all over the place ready to be blown up and take out bad guys
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

9. - Top - End - #939
    Ettin in the Playground

Can anyone give me a summary of How Daemonhosts Work and Where I Can Find the Specifics?

I'm re-reading through The All Guardsman Party, and was curious just how being a Daemonhost affected the Zoanthrope. Adeptus Astartes bolters pack a pretty good punch, and this thing mostly shrugged them off. So if I have to face one of these things (or sic one on my Kill Team), it'd be nice to know how they work.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

10. - Top - End - #940

RangerGuy

Can anyone give me a summary of How Daemonhosts Work and Where I Can Find the Specifics?
    The basic rules for creating a deamonhost are on page 355 of the Dark Heresy (1e) core book. Alternate version of the same basic rules are on 183 of the Radical's Handbook.

For 2e games, they are on page 62 of Enemies Beyond.
    Spoiler
    Show

Warforged Upgrades
    Blade Lord Vestige
    Soulforged PrC

11. - Top - End - #941
    Ettin in the Playground

2e will probably be closer to Only War! rules, right?
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

12. - Top - End - #942
    Titan in the Playground

yes. 2E is basically Only War with a bunch of stuff removed for no reason.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

13. - Top - End - #943
    Orc in the Playground

Greetings, everybody!
    I'm the GM for a campaign of Warhammer Fantasy 2nd edition, and a couple of questions have come up, for which I was hoping I could find some answers here.

We use the career compendium, and my wife has rolled a Seer. The seer gets access to channeling, arcane language and petty magic (hedge), but curiously enough no advance in the Magic secondary stat. So she could use magic, but doesn't get any dice to cast spells. Is this working as intended? For the moment, I took that as a printing error (not the only one, the Seer gets public speaking both as a skill and as a Talent, while it is actually really just a talent), but Id like to know if I Made the right call.

Additionally, Im not sure I understand how magic works in the system. I havent noticed yet because we Roll for career and didnt have a spellcaster in the group yet, but it seems very potent and trivially easy to Roll higher than the casting number even when not channeling. Could someone explain to me if Im missing something? Sure, there's magic manifestations if you roll the same number multiple times, but is that all? Taking an enemy out of the fight via hedge magic until they succeed in a willpower roll shouldnt be that trivially easy.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Lord Athos; 2019-12-30 at 08:50 AM.

14. - Top - End - #944
    Titan in the Playground

I'm joining a Warhammer Fantasy Role Play 4e game, and I had some questions about writing my characters backstory and personality. I know WHAT my PC is (a Wood Elf Wizard from Laurelorn Forest), but I'm trying to figure out WHO he is now. Unfortunately, there just doesn't seem to be a wealth of information on what regular life is like among the Eonir, even less than there is for the Asrai of Athel Loren, both of which pale in comparison to the detail and depth the human civilizations have, especially the Empire.

• What's childhood like for elves, especially since they live hundreds of years?
    • What's daily life like for Wood Elves of either variety?
    • How is Wood Elf magical education different from High Elf learning or the Colleges of Magic?
    • I know elf religion is different from human religion in that they don't have a separate caste of priests and rather than casting miracles they just use regular magic as it's a gift from the gods. Does my Wizard NEED a strong faith? Is he considered a priest by default among his own people?
    • I know there's some degree of synchronicity between certain elven gods and human ones (Mathlann and Manaan, Isha and Rhya, Taal and Kurnous). Are they in fact just different interpretations of the same gods, or would elves and humans take offense to such a notion?
    • Why would an Eonir want to leave Laurelorn and work with humans and a dwarf?
    • The GM suggested I should have opinions on Beastmen, but are there any opinions a Wood Elf would have on them other than "KILL ON SIGHT?"
    • What's a good way to play an elf who isn't, for lack of a better term, an arrogant jerk to everyone? That seems to be a very strong part of elven characterization in Warhammer in general, and especially with Wood Elves who lack the diplomatic tact of High Elves (though Laurelorn is better than Athel Loren in that regard).

For context, there's at least going to be a Dwarf Slayer, a Human Nun of Rhya (who incidentally hails from Laurelorn herself, one of the legal settlements there the elves allowed), and a Human Noble looking to get knighted...I think from Middenland, given the player's fascination with wolves.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

15. - Top - End - #945
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Archpaladin Zousha View Post
    humans and a dwarf?[*]The GM suggested I should have opinions on Beastmen, but are there any opinions a Wood Elf would have on them other than "KILL ON SIGHT?"
    [
    Certainly. You wound it and then track it as it flees back to his fellows so you can kill them too
    Seriously Beastmen and elves have been enemies for centuries. That is a unimaginable amount of slaughter and atrocity between them. Not to mention Beastmen are worshipers of the Ruinous Powers.
    The only thing I could think of is regarding Beastmen with pity. Born warped by the Chaos gods, they have no choice in what they are. They must still be killed but its more like putting them out of their misery.

What's a good way to play an elf who isn't, for lack of a better term, an arrogant jerk to everyone? That seems to be a very strong part of elven characterization in Warhammer in general, and especially with Wood Elves who lack the diplomatic tact of High Elves (though Laurelorn is better than Athel Loren in that regard).
    You can know you're superior to other races without rubbing their faces in it. Its not their fault after all. A calm assurance in your own wisdom (but not knowledge) and judgement can show your belief in yourself without pissing off everyone around you.

Why would an Eonir want to leave Laurelorn and work with humans and a dwarf?
    There is a BIG world out there and Elves are not immune to curiousity. And perhaps things to learn from the other races after all 'The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing
    Also the elves realize having the other races out there blunting chaos incursions is good for them. Perhaps your Elders have sent you out to gather information on how things are in the outside world. Or a more specific mission if your GM has a bright plot hook

I know there's some degree of synchronicity between certain elven gods and human ones (Mathlann and Manaan, Isha and Rhya, Taal and Kurnous). Are they in fact just different interpretations of the same gods, or would elves and humans take offense to such a notion?
    Er...... I'd say No to the first. And yes they really would take offence to the notion to the second. But YMMV
    Last edited by comicshorse; 2020-01-12 at 02:00 PM.
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

16. - Top - End - #946
    Titan in the Playground

I see! Thank you!

Something I noticed while re-reading the career page for Wizard in the corebook: the Magical License is a 2nd Tier trapping, so are Wizard's Apprentices just supposed to be constantly looking over their shoulder until they reach Tier 2 and get the paperwork to do magic openly? And obviously elf casters in the Empire need their own unique paperwork, basically showing one of the Colleges vetted them or something? The text, again, seems more focused on human wizards than elven ones.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

17. - Top - End - #947
    Titan in the Playground

The books being silent about... pretty much anything regarding elven wizards in the Empire is something I noticed back in 2E. It seems this hasn't changed.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

18. - Top - End - #948
    Troll in the Playground

Something I noticed while re-reading the career page for Wizard in the corebook: the Magical License is a 2nd Tier trapping, so are Wizard's Apprentices just supposed to be constantly looking over their shoulder until they reach Tier 2 and get the paperwork to do magic openly? And obviously elf casters in the Empire need their own unique paperwork, basically showing one of the Colleges vetted them or something? The text, again, seems more focused on human wizards than elven ones.
    Right I haven't read 4th ED so I'll just go off what seems sensible to me. The number of Elf wizards in the Empire would be TINY so I can't imagine anybody in the Old World ever thought too much about that. Outside the great cities the local authorities are probably going to be so shocked to see an Elf they're not going to think to ask for his paperwork anyway. Even if you cast a spell I'd reckon their would be the assumption that of course you can do magic, you're an elf ! (Though that doesn't mean they're going to be friendly just the presence of a licence isn't going to really affect their attitude)
    In the cities the authorities might understand that not all elves can 'do magic'. Still as the Colleges of Magic were founded by an elf I can't see getting one being a problem for an elf. Even if there isn't such a thing I'd guess a 'normal' licence could be issued with a added note explaining its for a elf. And having proof that the Colleges of Magic are, even nominally, in your corner could make a lot of petty/dishonest/prejudiced big city Watch think twice about messing with you (and then still probably do it )

19. - Top - End - #949
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    The books being silent about... pretty much anything regarding elven wizards in the Empire is something I noticed back in 2E. It seems this hasn't changed.
    It's honestly pretty silent on anything regarding ELVES period!

Incidentally I was just informed the Rhyan Nun playing with me has changed her mind and will now be a Halfling tired of being stereotyped as either jolly cooks or thieves and is looking to pick fights with tallfolk and carve her initials into their butts until they respect her!
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2020-01-12 at 09:28 PM.

20. - Top - End - #950
    Ettin in the Playground

... carve her initials into their butts until they respect her!
    Well. Ya gotta respect that.

21. - Top - End - #951
    Ettin in the Playground

Incidentally I was just informed the Rhyan Nun playing with me has changed her mind and will now be a Halfling tired of being stereotyped as either jolly cooks or thieves and is looking to pick fights with tallfolk and carve her initials into their butts until they respect her!
    So... she's a female , then?

22. - Top - End - #952
    Troll in the Playground

It's honestly pretty silent on anything regarding ELVES period!

Halflings tend to have long names they should be glad she's just carving her initials

(And good luck to her for what little I know about 4th Ed I believe being small is a serious disadvantage in a fight)

23. - Top - End - #953
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Telok View Post
    Well. Ya gotta respect that.
    No kidding!
    So... she's a female , then?
    Possibly? She'd probably dig calling herself a "sexy shoeless goddess of war!"
    Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    Halflings tend to have long names they should be glad she's just carving her initials

(And good luck to her for what little I know about 4th Ed I believe being small is a serious disadvantage in a fight)
    Yeah, she was looking into Duellist as her career as a way to equalize that, before her boyfriend (our Dwarf Slayer) discovered it's restricted to Dwarfs, High Elves and Humans.

Back on the topic of my own character, I still feel a bit...directionless in terms of what I want him to be like. Our GM said I don't need to worry about his story tying in to the themes of the story he's crafting, but that leaves me with no real idea what to pick for his motivations. Would a "druidic paladin" sort of theme make sense, not content to protect Laurelorn and striking out to smite Chaos and the occasional insolent human? Or does that mentality feel too "human" in terms of personality?

24. - Top - End - #954
    Ettin in the Playground

Back on the topic of my own character, I still feel a bit...directionless in terms of what I want him to be like. Our GM said I don't need to worry about his story tying in to the themes of the story he's crafting, but that leaves me with no real idea what to pick for his motivations. Would a "druidic paladin" sort of theme make sense, not content to protect Laurelorn and striking out to smite Chaos and the occasional insolent human? Or does that mentality feel too "human" in terms of personality?
    I'd say seeking out Chaos wherever it rears its ugly head is a perfectly fine motivation. It could even be an official order from the Wood Elf leadership.

And now for something completely different.

Under the rules in Black Crusade, is there any benefit to mounting a Bayonet on your Chainsword (as shown on one of the front raptors here)?

25. - Top - End - #955
    Troll in the Playground

Nope. Don't think you can even mount bayonets on anything other than guns, and all it does is let you use it as a spear in melee combat as I recall. Spears are directly weaker than chainswords, so even if you stuck one on there'd never be a reason to use it.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

26. - Top - End - #956
    Titan in the Playground

Besides, IS that a bayonet, or just the kinds of grimdark spikes Chaos edge-boyz put on EVERYTHING?

27. - Top - End - #957
    Ettin in the Playground

Besides, IS that a bayonet, or just the kinds of grimdark spikes Chaos edge-boyz put on EVERYTHING?
    It looks like a bayonet to me. That being said, are there any mechanical benefits to putting "spikey bitz" on your gear? Does it make them "chop harda" or something, or is this a case of the mini-designer adding sharp bits purely for the sake of adding sharp bits?

28. - Top - End - #958
    Ettin in the Playground

It looks like a bayonet to me. That being said, are there any mechanical benefits to putting "spikey bitz" on your gear? Does it make them "chop harda" or something, or is this a case of the mini-designer adding sharp bits purely for the sake of adding sharp bits?
    I think it's like the cup holders in SUVs. They're seeing how much extra cruft the sales people can sell for silly markups. Seriously, someone at the chainsword dealership is realy good at their job and is selling people chainswords with dull, notched bayonets on them as accessories. The comissions must be amazing.

29. - Top - End - #959
    Troll in the Playground

On the model they're just there for the sake of it. I think mono is the only weapon upgrade that can be applied to a chainsword, and that is obviously supposed to affect the actual teeth of the weapon.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

30. - Top - End - #960
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

I am restarting my Rogue Trader game, and Im looking for a few inputs.
    The group will get to own a planet rich on natural resources, but with an impending invasion.
    Will they grab what they can and run, or will they defend their new planet..

1) Who is invading? I am looking for an invasion force that has been fortold (perhaps in eldar prophecies). It should feel like a force of nature, much like the tyranids; but some form of strategy that can be predicted would be fun for the players. Thirdly, I would like not to use the classical, well-known armies. Any good ideas?
    Perhaps a combined force..

2) The planet will previously have been designated a fortress world, but construction has stopped. Does anyone have any good resources on fortress worlds? Maps, designs, or descriptions?

Perhaps more to come, as I panic to build a planet in a few days
    Quote Originally Posted by Incorrect View Post
    If you consider the RP aspect, you might want to consider alternatives to Tortle Str Ranger.
    I mean, why would the rest of the party trust this Tortal StRanger...