Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 82324252627282930313233
Results 961 to 966 of 966
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Destro_Yersul's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    sector ZZ9 plural-z alpha
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer & 40K RPGs Thread III: With Friends Like These, Who Needs Heresies?

    Quote Originally Posted by Incorrect View Post
    I am restarting my Rogue Trader game, and Im looking for a few inputs.
    The group will get to own a planet rich on natural resources, but with an impending invasion.
    Will they grab what they can and run, or will they defend their new planet..

    1) Who is invading? I am looking for an invasion force that has been fortold (perhaps in eldar prophecies). It should feel like a force of nature, much like the tyranids; but some form of strategy that can be predicted would be fun for the players. Thirdly, I would like not to use the classical, well-known armies. Any good ideas?
    Perhaps a combined force..

    2) The planet will previously have been designated a fortress world, but construction has stopped. Does anyone have any good resources on fortress worlds? Maps, designs, or descriptions?

    Perhaps more to come, as I panic to build a planet in a few days
    1) Rak'gol are a good option. Yu'Vath are also good, but perhaps a little bit too spooky to drop on a starting group. Slaugth?

    2) the classic fortress world is Cadia. There's lots of material on Cadia. I don't have any of it, but it exists.
    I do LP's sometimes! I'm currently on hiatus for college purposes.

    My Youtube Channel

    The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar by Vael

    My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

    We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Ongoing

    Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

  2. - Top - End - #962
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer & 40K RPGs Thread III: With Friends Like These, Who Needs Heresies?

    Quote Originally Posted by Archpaladin Zousha View Post

    Back on the topic of my own character, I still feel a bit...directionless in terms of what I want him to be like. Our GM said I don't need to worry about his story tying in to the themes of the story he's crafting, but that leaves me with no real idea what to pick for his motivations. Would a "druidic paladin" sort of theme make sense, not content to protect Laurelorn and striking out to smite Chaos and the occasional insolent human? Or does that mentality feel too "human" in terms of personality?
    Druidic Paladin seems perfectly elven to me, after all the whole reasons the Wood Elves never obeyed the order to return home was love of their forest homes. Your character could, if the GM, approves have received a vision from the Gods revealing a evil growing outside the forest that if left unchecked will eventually bring ruin to his home. Whcih gives both a reason and a nice plot hook.
    Of course your motivation doesn't have to be orders form on high. There is always curiosity about the outside world, the hope to gain new knowledge for minor facets of magic the other races may have gleaned. A desire for glory to return with tales of bravery and strange lands. Or tying in to the 'druidic paladin' ideal how about a romantic quest ? Your characters childhood sweetheart (and as Elves a childhood crush could last decades ) was sent forth on a mission some years ago and never returned. Now you set forth to find her and bring her home (of course whether she wants to come home is up to the GM's evil mind)
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

  3. - Top - End - #963
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Craig, Co
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer & 40K RPGs Thread III: With Friends Like These, Who Needs Heresies?

    Quote Originally Posted by Incorrect View Post
    I am restarting my Rogue Trader game, and Im looking for a few inputs.
    The group will get to own a planet rich on natural resources, but with an impending invasion.
    Will they grab what they can and run, or will they defend their new planet..

    1) Who is invading? I am looking for an invasion force that has been fortold (perhaps in eldar prophecies). It should feel like a force of nature, much like the tyranids; but some form of strategy that can be predicted would be fun for the players. Thirdly, I would like not to use the classical, well-known armies. Any good ideas?
    Perhaps a combined force..

    2) The planet will previously have been designated a fortress world, but construction has stopped. Does anyone have any good resources on fortress worlds? Maps, designs, or descriptions?

    Perhaps more to come, as I panic to build a planet in a few days
    You might look up information about the Siege of Vraks. Which was centered around a fortress that the Empire had to reconquer.
    It was an important supply depo, and every generation improved on its fortifcations.
    So did the construction actually stop? Or did the local governor get so currupt that he stole all the money from the construction budget for a few years? Less malicously, maybe the planet is waiting on main battery arrays to arrive, and they should be there any decade now.
    Spoiler
    Show


    Warforged Upgrades
    Blade Lord Vestige
    Soulforged PrC
    Transformers RPG Now Updated as PDFs on Google Drive.

  4. - Top - End - #964
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Guizonde's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    toulouse
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer & 40K RPGs Thread III: With Friends Like These, Who Needs Heresies?

    hey guys, i'm gonna start running my very first dark heresy campaign, and i'm looking for tips and tricks. i was pretty familiar with the first edition, but due to screw ups, we're gonna play 2e.

    first of all, how does influence work? i get that it's a stat that characters have to roll to find gear, but they've got low-30's, and even finding an average piece of kit like a comm-bead will be tough. how do you play it out? higher bonuses on hive and forge worlds? commerce checks? good roleplay? i don't want to give them heavy bolters off the bat, but seeing some availability checks, even an inquisitor wouldn't be able to pay for some of the stuff in the rulebook. it seems a bit too abstract a concept for me, and i'm considering reimplementing 1e's throne mechanic for small purchases like food, housing and bribes.

    second, and that's a minor nitpick, is an autocannon really 3d10 damage? that seems absurdly overpowered, but everywhere i've looked, it's the same 3d10 profile. the thing hits harder than a meltagun or a heavy bolter. in the tabletop game, back when i played, an autocannon was pretty much on par with a plasma gun give or take, but a melta beat both in terms of power. so i'm a bit conflused.

    when you play, do you stat out atmospheric vehicles, and if so how? i was planning of giving them access to a civilian shuttle, with maybe on chase scene, but i haven't seen anything relevant for what i had in mind. i might be using rogue trader's rules for voidships if the players insist on going in that kind of direction, but if not, i'll handwave it unless you guys have an easy mechanic.

    any and all help is really appreciated. i'm a bit nervous, to be honest.
    Spoiler: quotes
    Show
    regarding my choice of sustenance:
    Quote Originally Posted by Raimun View Post
    I'm going to judge you.
    My judgement is: That is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    GM: “If it doesn't move and it should, use duct tape. If it moves and it shouldn't, use a shotgun.”
    dm is Miltonian, credit where credit is due.

    when in doubt,
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Ask the beret wearing insect men of Athas.

  5. - Top - End - #965
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Morty's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Poland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer & 40K RPGs Thread III: With Friends Like These, Who Needs Heresies?

    Quote Originally Posted by Guizonde View Post
    first of all, how does influence work? i get that it's a stat that characters have to roll to find gear, but they've got low-30's, and even finding an average piece of kit like a comm-bead will be tough. how do you play it out? higher bonuses on hive and forge worlds? commerce checks? good roleplay? i don't want to give them heavy bolters off the bat, but seeing some availability checks, even an inquisitor wouldn't be able to pay for some of the stuff in the rulebook. it seems a bit too abstract a concept for me, and i'm considering reimplementing 1e's throne mechanic for small purchases like food, housing and bribes.
    In my experience, the answer to your first question is "poorly". Making gear acquisition dependent on the infamously swingy roll leads to the exact problems you've described. We did eventually switch to just having money.
    Last edited by Morty; Today at 07:47 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gulaghar and Purple Eagle.

  6. - Top - End - #966
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Destro_Yersul's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    sector ZZ9 plural-z alpha
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer & 40K RPGs Thread III: With Friends Like These, Who Needs Heresies?

    Quote Originally Posted by Guizonde View Post
    second, and that's a minor nitpick, is an autocannon really 3d10 damage? that seems absurdly overpowered, but everywhere i've looked, it's the same 3d10 profile. the thing hits harder than a meltagun or a heavy bolter. in the tabletop game, back when i played, an autocannon was pretty much on par with a plasma gun give or take, but a melta beat both in terms of power. so i'm a bit conflused.

    when you play, do you stat out atmospheric vehicles, and if so how? i was planning of giving them access to a civilian shuttle, with maybe on chase scene, but i haven't seen anything relevant for what i had in mind. i might be using rogue trader's rules for voidships if the players insist on going in that kind of direction, but if not, i'll handwave it unless you guys have an easy mechanic.

    any and all help is really appreciated. i'm a bit nervous, to be honest.
    The original autocannon profile was 4d10. It was too good, so they nerfed it in subsequent appearances. There's a couple factors, here. First, while it does hit harder than a Meltagun, it's still worse against heavily armoured targets due to the comparatively low AP value. Second, autocannons are regularly mounted on vehicles, or used as light anti-vehicle weapons. Third, Heavy Bolters have been notoriously underpowered for what they are in basically every game line except Deathwatch. Finally, the tabletop game is a terrible metric by which to judge anything in the RPGs, due to the drastically reduced granularity of the system itself.

    Several of the books have rules for atmospheric vehicles, most notably Rogue Trader. Vehicles in general have always been a bit of a handwave-worthy area, so just having them roll Pilot or something is a perfectly acceptable means of proceeding.
    I do LP's sometimes! I'm currently on hiatus for college purposes.

    My Youtube Channel

    The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar by Vael

    My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

    We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Ongoing

    Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •