New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer & 40K RPGs Thread III: With Friends Like These, Who Needs Heresies?

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Possibly you were thinking of Questing Knights? Grail Knights are exceptionally rare but there are many, many Questing Knights who try to live up to their ideals and examples. Questing Knights definitely are celibate by the wording of their ritual vow to undertake the Grail Quest; they foresake all mortal pleasures and even partially disown their families in order to concentrate solely on the goal of becoming a Grail Knight.
    Is the Vow written down anywhere ?
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer & 40K RPGs Thread III: With Friends Like These, Who Needs Heresies?

I've seen two versions of it. One goes:

I set down my lance, symbol of duty...I spurn those whom I love, I relinquish all, and take up the tools of my quest...No obstacle shall stand before me...No plea for help shall find me wanting....No moon will look upon me twice lest I be judged idle...I will give my body, heart and soul to the Lady whom I seek...
    The other one goes:

Lady of grace and beauty, I set down my lance, symbol of duty, upon your shrine. I spurn those whom I love. I relinquish all, and take upon the tools of my journey. No obstacle will stand before me. No plea for help shall find me wanting. No moon will look upon me twice lest I be judged idle. I give my body, heart and soul to you, oh Lady, and I shall seek wherever thou might be found. This is my questing vow, and I swear before you, mistress of mercy, and beg that you shall strike me down should I falter.
    Given the first appears to be just an abridged version of the second, I'm inclined to believe the second is the full vow.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

3. - Top - End - #153
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

So my current project is something I'm calling 'For The Greater Greed', a hack/overhaul of Rogue Trader with an all-Tau-and-allied-races party, and at the same time I'm also reworking the Careers/Experience system to match the Aptitudes of OW and DH2e. While it is still very much a work in progress, anyone willing to eyeball my races to see if any stand out as unbalanced relative to each other in terms of aptitudes or special abilities?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...oYjt7fexg/edit

4. - Top - End - #154
    Pixie in the Playground

While we're on WHFRP 2e, what are peoples experiences with the Ashes of Middenheim campaign book from the Paths of the Damned arc? Is it particularly hard going on players or the GM? Roughly how much time does it generally take to play through the book?

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

Had another question about Wood Elf culture:

That player I mentioned who wants to play a "flirty" Wood Elf has stated that her character's basic story is that she's "Immortal, bored, wants to see the world before settling down." My question is, just how "boring" can Wood Elf life get? While I don't know about any specific differences between Athel Loren's kingdoms and Laurelorn forest in the Empire, it seems Wood Elves don't bother with leisure time and cultural pursuits the way High Elves do because their life revolves around patrolling the forest to exterminate any Beastmen in their territory and scare off human lumberjacks, and they take these tasks VERY seriously. Maybe my perspective is skewed on that because my experience primarily comes from Total Warhammer where the whole goal if you play as the Wood Elves is "KEEP THE OAK OF AGES SAFE FROM BEASTMEN ATTACKERS AT ALL COSTS!"

Do Wood Elves even HAVE spare time to get bored in? Or should I advise my fellow player that her concept would work better as a High Elf (I know it wouldn't make a difference in terms of actual stats, but it's obviously make a world of difference in terms of story). The only real reason she's interested in playing a Wood Elf is because their outfits show more skin.
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2018-01-13 at 10:22 AM.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Archpaladin Zousha View Post
    My question is, just how "boring" can Wood Elf life get? While I don't know about any specific differences between Athel Loren's kingdoms and Laurelorn forest in the Empire, it seems Wood Elves don't bother with leisure time and cultural pursuits the way High Elves do because their life revolves around patrolling the forest to exterminate any Beastmen in their territory and scare off human lumberjacks, and they take these tasks VERY seriously. Maybe my perspective is skewed on that because my experience primarily comes from Total Warhammer where the whole goal if you play as the Wood Elves is "KEEP THE OAK OF AGES SAFE FROM BEASTMEN ATTACKERS AT ALL COSTS!"
    Wood Elf kingdoms tend to be inside human kingdoms, so most Beastmen will have got cut down by human soldiers long before they ever get to the Forests.
    The Elves maintain forces to watch the entrances to the Forest (Waywatchers) but they are a dedicated military unit. Most Wood Elves will only be called up in times of emergencies
    Given that I can see an Elf craving 'adventure and really wild things' is reasonable. Unusual but then adventurers always are weird.
    Remember the Human kingdoms are stable political units, in which trade passes safely, taxes are collected and people live (mostly) stable lives. The whole ' Well its Tuesday, time for the weekly horde of Orcs/Skeletons/ Chaos Warriors' is fine for computer games and WFB because all they are about is the fighting but from the fact that the kingdoms exist as they do we can judge that such occurrence's are the exception not the norm. Unless you live on the Borderlands, of course. Where things get decidedly dicier.
    So, IMHO, Wood Elves could decidedly have enough time to get bored. That's pretty much the reason my Wood Elf PC left home, that and a gambling addiction

Incidentally if you can find it 'Apocrypha Now' has a nice section on RP'ing Non- Humans in the human world

PS
    Wood Elves are more likely to have come into contact with Humans than High Elves which could be what has sparked her curiousity.
    (Even if the contact was only putting an arrow a hairs breadth from a logger's head along with a 'you won't get so lucky next time' message)
    Last edited by comicshorse; 2018-01-13 at 11:53 AM.
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

Elves can have gambling addictions? I thought they'd be above such stuff!
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2018-01-13 at 11:28 AM.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Troll in the Playground

Elves can have gambling addictions? I thought they'd be above such stuff!
    Like I said, adventurers are always weird examples of their races.
    Its why they aren't living ordinary lives
    Last edited by comicshorse; 2018-01-13 at 11:31 AM.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

Thank you! I gotta remember that more.

May I please ask you some questions via PM, comicshorse? The Glyphstone and AGow95 haven't gotten answers to their questions yet, and I don't wanna distract people from them or unwittingly hog the thread.
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2018-01-13 at 12:35 PM.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Troll in the Playground

No problem

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

Hey all, so im gonna run a Rogue Trader game (starting tonight) using the DH 2e rules (and Rogue Trader rules for Ship Combat) and im just wondering what to look out for for when i front port Rogue Trader NPCs out of the book. Are they too much, are they weaker? etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

12. - Top - End - #162
    Halfling in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

I've spent the past while designing a region in the Border Princes, and I ended up deciding to have a Necromancer prince, s I ran across a question

Can you have both a Dark Lore and an Arcane Lore? You can't have both a Divine and Arcane and you can't have 2 Arcanes or 2 Divines, but does the same exclusivity apply to Dark Lores?
    78% of DMs started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% who didn't, copy/paste this into your sig.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    Hey all, so im gonna run a Rogue Trader game (starting tonight) using the DH 2e rules (and Rogue Trader rules for Ship Combat) and im just wondering what to look out for for when i front port Rogue Trader NPCs out of the book. Are they too much, are they weaker? etc.
    For starters, I'm using RT rules, but with MathHammer AV -12 rules for ship combat (https://community.fantasyflightgames...-armour-count/). Things I've learnt about the RT stats:

For ships:
    Ork ships are terrible. A sword w/ sunseer can take on 3 Ork raiders comfortably, even at level 1
    Strike craft are terrifying (two squads of bombers may have made the explorers perform an emergency warp jump)
    I'd expect an explorer vessel to punch one category above it's weight (explorer Frigate taking on Light Cruisers, explorer Light Cruiser besting Cruisers, etc)
    Watch out for boarding, the RT's command value will quickly turn them into kerb stomps (and netting the explorers a new ship)

For ground:
    The explorers won't be worried about any gun that doesn't have a pen of at least 2
    Naval Shotcannons are hysterical for scaring explorers
    Suppression fire will ruin the day of anyone with willpower < 40, but remember it works both ways (i.e. suppression hits everyone in the kill zone, not just enemies)
    Normal humans may as well surrender if they don't have a soak of at least 8, or stupendous numbers
    Ork bodies soak up ridiculous punishment, and that's without including Nobs/bosses (a boy literally ate a frag grenade and survived)
    Space Marines aren't that scary unless they have power weapons, or stay back at range
    Even lesser daemons are terrifying for anyone willpower < 60
    Accurate weapons are deceptively powerful

14. - Top - End - #164
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Graysire View Post
    I've spent the past while designing a region in the Border Princes, and I ended up deciding to have a Necromancer prince, s I ran across a question

Can you have both a Dark Lore and an Arcane Lore? You can't have both a Divine and Arcane and you can't have 2 Arcanes or 2 Divines, but does the same exclusivity apply to Dark Lores?
    Like Arcane Lore Dark Lore specifies you can't have two 'such is the study and focus required' ( WFRP main rules, p97). Given you can't have two Dark Lores or two Arcane Lores and pointing out that's because learning even one requires such time and focus I'd say no you can't have both Dark and Arcane Lore (IMHO)

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

This is different from my recent stream of questions. I'm also playing Rogue Trader with some friends on another forum, and my impoverished Rogue Trader is about to steal a new voidship (his old one was blown up by rebels against the Imperium). My GM has asked me to rank the following items in importance from 1 to 10, which he'll take into account when designing the ship my gang and me are about to hijack and I'd like some advice as to what I should prioritize:

Size

Speed

Warp Efficiency

Crew Morale

Armament

Endurance

Defense

Luxury

Piety

Xenotech

What would you folks advise? I'm leaning towards prioritizing the efficiency of the ship to increase its survivability (My character's already lost one voidship and he's NOT eager to lose another).
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2018-01-16 at 09:56 AM.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Troll in the Playground

At the end of the day Rogue Traders are around to trade and make a profit. So what is the important thing in Trade ? Not being dead.
    Being dead drastically reduces you're chances to make profit.

So top three priorities are ways to avoid hostiles killing you :
    1) Armament (Kill them first)
    2) Defence ( Don't get hit)
    3) Endurance ( Take getting hit)

After that you need to be able to move cargo quickly and efficiently

4) Warp Efficency (this will also lower chances of demons eating you)
    5) Speed (also good for running away from hostiles)
    6) Size (Mo' cargo, Mo' Money)

The rest are more individual factors

7) Crew Morale ( A happy crew work better, helping with the moving cargo and not dying. Also nobody likes having to put down mutinies)

8) Luxury (Helps with Crew Morale. Also impresses the customers 'If his ship is like this, his goods must be top class')

9) Piety ( As above, helps with crew morale and impressing the customers. And its always nice to have when the Inquisitor shows up )

10) Xenotech ( Nice tech advantages but can piss people off. Especially people even Rogue Traders don't want to piss off. Inquisitors, Ecclesiarchy, Space Marines, Mechanicum, etc)
    Last edited by comicshorse; 2018-01-17 at 06:55 AM.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Orc in the Playground

Had another question about Wood Elf culture:

That player I mentioned who wants to play a "flirty" Wood Elf has stated that her character's basic story is that she's "Immortal, bored, wants to see the world before settling down." My question is, just how "boring" can Wood Elf life get? While I don't know about any specific differences between Athel Loren's kingdoms and Laurelorn forest in the Empire, it seems Wood Elves don't bother with leisure time and cultural pursuits the way High Elves do because their life revolves around patrolling the forest to exterminate any Beastmen in their territory and scare off human lumberjacks, and they take these tasks VERY seriously.
    Sure, but not all Wood Elves are soldiers. She could have been a bowmaker, a tailor, a gardener (those trees don't take care of themselves... sometimes!), a horse breeder, anything.

Even a soldier's life can be quite boring, outside of combat.

Maybe my perspective is skewed on that because my experience primarily comes from Total Warhammer where the whole goal if you play as the Wood Elves is "KEEP THE OAK OF AGES SAFE FROM BEASTMEN ATTACKERS AT ALL COSTS!"
    Well yeah, Beastmen live and thrive in woods, and therefore come into more contact with Wood Elves than anyone else, as humans tend to be rightly afraid of deep woods.

Wood Elf kingdoms tend to be inside human kingdoms, so most Beastmen will have got cut down by human soldiers long before they ever get to the Forests.
    Mmmmmmmmm....no. Humans stay out of the forests, and will cut back trees as far as they can outside their settlements. Human armies will sometimes march deep into the woods to find and kill large groups of beastmen, but sometimes they'll be ambushed and killed or more likely just find nothing, as the beastment melt away. Human soldiers have a LOT of demands on their time - chaos warbands, Orc and Goblin armies, unrest in Sylvania, seccessionists and civil strife, so beastment tend to be at the bottom of that list of "to do" unless they become a REAL problem, they're a low-level omnipresent threat that needs to be dealt with now and then, but never really goes away.

Beastmen are present in most forests in Human lands, and Wood Elves will 100% be fighting a war the humans don't know about to thin the herds and stop the corruption of the forest.

Do Wood Elves even HAVE spare time to get bored in? Or should I advise my fellow player that her concept would work better as a High Elf (I know it wouldn't make a difference in terms of actual stats, but it's obviously make a world of difference in terms of story). The only real reason she's interested in playing a Wood Elf is because their outfits show more skin.
    Sure. Wood elves love song and poetry and good food and wine just as much as any other elf, which means downtime. They have their own complex culture, it's not all TOTAL WAR all the time.

A Wood Elf is probably closer to what your friend wants - she could have lived on the borders of human lands, and enjoyed messing with them - illusion magic, stalking them so they are scared, and generally teasing them to keep them out of the wood. After moving into human lands to adventure, she could keep that up. If she keeps her flirting as teasing, almost to the point of being threating I can see that working very well indeed!

18. - Top - End - #168
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sinewmire View Post
    Mmmmmmmmm....no. Humans stay out of the forests, and will cut back trees as far as they can outside their settlements. Human armies will sometimes march deep into the woods to find and kill large groups of beastmen, but sometimes they'll be ambushed and killed or more likely just find nothing, as the beastment melt away.
    Ah no you misunderstood my point. It wasn't put well. I meant that any Beastman group or Chaos warband coming in from the chaos wastes would likely be destroyed or driven back by human forces before they ever reach the Wood Elves
    As for Beastmen already living in the Forests my impression was the elves have their territories firmly established. While these Beatmen are a constant, minor threat they only become a real threat if re-reinforcements from outside the Forest reach them

19. - Top - End - #169
    Orc in the Playground

Ah no you misunderstood my point. It wasn't put well. I meant that any Beastman group or Chaos warband coming in from the chaos wastes would likely be destroyed or driven back by human forces before they ever reach the Wood Elves
    Ah, I see! Yeah, invading chaos armies have got a long way to go 'til they reach Wood Elf territory, good point.

As for Beastmen already living in the Forests my impression was the elves have their territories firmly established. While these Beatmen are a constant, minor threat they only become a real threat if re-reinforcements from outside the Forest reach them
    Up to a point. Beastment numbers often spike suddenly, and Moghur could be reborn anywhere, which will cause mutations, and Beastmen migrations. Waywatchers et al spend a LOT of their time hunting beastmen so as to keep their numbers low enough that the don't become a major threat. They don't always succeed, which leads to bigger fights.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    The majority of Beastmen in the Empire haven't come down from the Wastes; they're a native population that lives & multiplies in the deep woods. The Empire is covered with huge forests and they're endemic throughout pretty much all of them. Soft-hearted parents who give birth to mutant children leave their babies out in the woods for the Beastmen to take away.

Athel Loren is kind of a special case and very fiercely defended, but the Laurelorn forest melds seamlessly into the Drakwald, which is one of the most beastman-infested forests in the Old World.
    Last edited by LCP; 2018-01-17 at 01:13 PM.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

21. - Top - End - #171
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LCP View Post
    . Soft-hearted parents who give birth to mutant children leave their babies out in the woods for the Beastmen to take away.
    That doesn't mean there's Beastmen there just that Imperial peasants believe they're they are there.And when they vanish the parents can convince themselves they have found a new life with their own kind and suppress and ignore any thoughts about the forests being full of predatory animals

The Empire is covered with huge forests and they're endemic throughout pretty much all of them.
    But as I said them being more than a nuisance doesn't make sense with the Empire ( and other human kingdoms) being stable states where trade happens and taxes are collected. It seems more realistic to me ( and so the way I'd run it) that the Beastmen within the Empire (big distinction) are relatively small colonies and apart from launching occasional raids no danger to anybody not dumb enough to go into their areas of forest.

On a side thought I've been more in favor of individual interpretation over 'Canon is god'. But this seems to me to be particularly important in Warhammer where the official canon is the whole world is a smoking cinder

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

Ugh, I know! It makes me wonder how Cubicle7 is gonna spin things with the new 4th Edition of WHFRP coming out this year, ESPECIALLY since after that they're bringing out an Age of Sigmar RPG at some point. Feels like having one's cake and eating it in a way (which is a phrase that's always bugged me, since if you HAVE a cake, what are you going to do with it BESIDES eating it?).
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

23. - Top - End - #173
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGirl

*pokes head in catiously*

Hey, guys! I've been interested in Warhammer (both fantasy and 40k) things for a while, but was kind of overwhelmed by the sheer volume of stuff and couldn't figure out where to start.

But now it looks like my Vampire: The Masquerade group is going to start up a 40k game on the side, and this looks like the perfect opportunity to get started! Could anyone recommend a good way to get more up to speed on the lore?

I've already found the wiki, and I'm sure that a couple of my fellow players would be more than willing to answer questions if I had them, but does anyone else have any recommendations for stuff to look at? The details of the proposed game have not been nailed down yet, but the consensus seems to be that we're going to focus on the Imperium, although I know a couple of the players are still pulling for Eldar. I know very, very little, though, so anything would be potentially useful.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AshfireMage View Post
    *pokes head in catiously*

Hey, guys! I've been interested in Warhammer (both fantasy and 40k) things for a while, but was kind of overwhelmed by the sheer volume of stuff and couldn't figure out where to start.

But now it looks like my Vampire: The Masquerade group is going to start up a 40k game on the side, and this looks like the perfect opportunity to get started! Could anyone recommend a good way to get more up to speed on the lore?

I've already found the wiki, and I'm sure that a couple of my fellow players would be more than willing to answer questions if I had them, but does anyone else have any recommendations for stuff to look at? The details of the proposed game have not been nailed down yet, but the consensus seems to be that we're going to focus on the Imperium, although I know a couple of the players are still pulling for Eldar. I know very, very little, though, so anything would be potentially useful.
    Grab a novel that looks interesting to you and read it. I recommend the Eisenhorn trilogy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

Something that I've found really helped me understand Warhammer 40k was Bruva Alfabusa and his crew's long-running and hilarious series: If The Emperor Had a Text-To-Speech Device. It takes the inherent absurdity in much of the setting's lore and just takes the next logical step into utter silliness, and the results are GLORIOUS! They've also just begun a spin-off podcast series, titled (appropriately enough) If The Emperor Had a Podcast, which goes into more detail on specific facets of the lore the storyline doesn't get an opportunity to cover, such as less prominent Space Marine chapters or some of the Imperium's early history.

On a related note, my GM is asking for some clarification on my ship ratings. He wants to know if I'm looking more for a light cruiser with some heavier armor and weapons, or a tanky frigate. My instincts are the frigate, since he's said "Anything they can't outrun, they can outfight," but he seems to think that with the suggestions you've provided I don't care about speed.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Something that I've found really helped me understand Warhammer 40k was Bruva Alfabusa and his crew's long-running and hilarious series: If The Emperor Had a Text-To-Speech Device. It takes the inherent absurdity in much of the setting's lore and just takes the next logical step into utter silliness, and the results are GLORIOUS! They've also just begun a spin-off podcast series, titled (appropriately enough) If The Emperor Had a Podcast, which goes into more detail on specific facets of the lore the storyline doesn't get an opportunity to cover, such as less prominent Space Marine chapters or some of the Imperium's early history.
    This. so much this. If you want only one source of all Warhammer 40k lore, its Text-To-Speech device. sure it goes completely silly with it, but lets be honest, warhammer 40k is at its best when its being funny and ridiculous rather than attempting to be serious. WH40k practically runs on bathos.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

27. - Top - End - #177
    Orc in the Playground

There's a youtube video "40k Lore in 4 minutes" or something like that that'll detail the Horus Heresy and the basic setup of the Imperium.

Emperor's Text-to-Speech I wouldn't recommend for someone not already reasonably familiar with the universe.

Do you know which System you'll be playing? For Dark Heresy I'd recommend Eisenhorn (book) and Blade Runner (film). For Rogue Trader, I'd recommend Lagacy (Shira Calpurnia novel) and Master and Commander (Film, just imagine it in spaaaace!) or Event Horizon (film). For Deathwatch I'd recommend Warriors of Ultramar (book) and maybe Aliens (film)? For Black Crusade I'd recommend The First Heretic (book) and The Dark Knight Rises (Film - imagine you are Bane). Only In Death - 15 Hours (Novel - warning, it's quite bleak) or Necropolis (Gaunt's Ghosts novel) and Enemy At The Gates (film) and Starship Troopers (Film).

Computer games - Dawn of war: Winter Assault and Dark Crusade are decent. Especially the latter: there's a lot of characterisation of all the forces in Dark Crusade, and you get some cool arguments between each faction as your commanders engage in smack-talk. Dawn of War 2 is Space Marines only, but is pretty much an excellent Deathwatch-style dynamic. Space Marine give a great feeling of just how badass Space Marines are, and Captain Titus is a great example of a sensible Astartes warrior. If you're playing Rogue Trader then Battlefleet Gothic: Armada is a MUST.

Books if you just want a feel of the setting... The Shira Calpurnia novels (Crossfire and Legacy) give you an excellent look at how the Imperium works from the inside. The Eisenhorn novels (Xenos, Hereticus, Malleus) show the Inquisition, warts and all, as well as the corrupting nature of Chaos and the Warp. The Gaunt's Ghosts novels show how the Imperial Guard should work, I'd recommend reading in order to avoid spoilers, but Necropolis and Armour of Contempt are particularly good. The Ultramarines novels (Starting with Nighbringer) are pretty good, although they start getting wierd around book 3. The Horus Heresy series is mostly pretty good, with some outstanding books, but beware - it' set in the ancient history of the 40k setting, so a lot of the terms and themes aren't present any more.

If you can find a copy, the old boxed game had a book called Codex Imperialis which has an absolute ton of info in it, and it's how I learned the setting.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sinewmire View Post

Do you know which System you'll be playing? For Dark Heresy I'd recommend Eisenhorn (book) and Blade Runner (film). For Rogue Trader, I'd recommend Lagacy (Shira Calpurnia novel) and Master and Commander (Film, just imagine it in spaaaace!) or Event Horizon (film).
    That's what I dropped in to recommend. For the atmosphere of 40K at its nastiest, for the aesthetic of the game and for why sensible people are scared of Warp Travel its great. And its a good horror movie in its own right

For Dark Heresy I'd recommend 'Season of the Witch' and 'Dredd' for those investigations on Hive worlds

29. - Top - End - #179
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    For Dark Heresy I'd recommend 'Season of the Witch' and 'Dredd' for those investigations on Hive worlds
    D'oh! How did I forget that?!

30. - Top - End - #180
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

On a related note, my GM is asking for some clarification on my ship ratings. He wants to know if I'm looking more for a light cruiser with some heavier armor and weapons, or a tanky frigate. My instincts are the frigate, since he's said "Anything they can't outrun, they can outfight," but he seems to think that with the suggestions you've provided I don't care about speed.
    Having a reasonably skilled Voidmaster pilot makes a far greater difference in terms of combat speed than the small differential between a light cruiser and a frigate. Speed is important for life, but in terms of ship design its impact is smaller than stuff like armor or guns that a good pilot can't make up for.