A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: Seige of Iron Fiends (OOC)

Tregal is either large or huge, there's no way he could 'dangle' over Maria.

I'm not sure who those rolls are for, so I'm going to roll straight d20's, check modifiers, and if either passes read and act as appropriate.

Nature: (1d20)[3]+?
    Spot: (1d20)[3]+?

Yea, those are some solid nope rolls.
    Last edited by 5ColouredWalker; 2015-08-09 at 10:04 PM.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Triple post for another roll. Knowledge Religion and Planes to provide some support as to Erick's thinking processes. I'm going to presume Erick knows about the World tree, but more than that I'm chosing to roll instead of taking 10 [And thus 14].

R: (1d20+4)[7]
    P: (1d20+4)[12]

Wow, I rolled 3 3s [Before modifiers] in a row. It looks like bad things come in threes :p. Answers are still going to be smart sounding and based off what I think would general knowledge [Given my smite playing and basic googling I'll likely not be using google for this.].
    Last edited by 5ColouredWalker; 2015-08-09 at 10:16 PM.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by 5ColouredWalker View Post
    I think going with 1-1 CR to EDL lost would be best, however to make sure he doesn't become useless due to lack of HD due to how 3.5 Animal Companions work I'd like to request PF animal progression.

As for no arms, I think just negating the natural weapons bonus would work, that'd have him considered a level 14 equivalent. I'd probably get him manipulators by purchasing an amulet of mage hand or unseen servant [I likely will get that before 14 to.].
    That sounds good. I'll have to check out PF animal companion stuff more thoroughly, but that should be fine.

Tregal is either large or huge, there's no way he could 'dangle' over Maria.

I'm not sure who those rolls are for, so I'm going to roll straight d20's, check modifiers, and if either passes read and act as appropriate.

Nature: [roll0]+?
    Spot: [roll1]+?

Yea, those are some solid nope rolls.
    Yea, that's another thing I've been meaning to apologize for. I really am sorry that you all have needed to be correcting my posts so much, and even on the chance that it doesn't annoy any of you, what feels like my own personal short-comings as DM get to me. Anyway, back to responding to stuff.

I was meaning that he couldn't hold himself on to you the way he was before, which was already a pretty loose circle around your waist and legs. He just slid off, the wording was just (poorly applied) poetic licensing.

Those roles were for Maria.
    Triple post for another roll. Knowledge Religion and Planes to provide some support as to Erick's thinking processes. I'm going to presume Erick knows about the World tree, but more than that I'm chosing to roll instead of taking 10 [And thus 14].

R: [roll0]
    P: [roll1]
    Neither of those turn up anything.
    P.S. If you did not receive this post, let me know and I'll re-send it.

Quote Originally Posted by BilltheCynic View Post
    *And now I have an image of an animated suit of adamantine armor, complete with armor spikes and a wicked scythe, wearing a top hat. And it is awesome.
    *"Nowhere that I am, everywhere that I am not."

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by LordotTrinkets View Post
    Yea, that's another thing I've been meaning to apologize for. I really am sorry that you all have needed to be correcting my posts so much, and even on the chance that it doesn't annoy any of you, what feels like my own personal short-comings as DM get to me. Anyway, back to responding to stuff.

I was meaning that he couldn't hold himself on to you the way he was before, which was already a pretty loose circle around your waist and legs. He just slid off, the wording was just (poorly applied) poetic licensing.

Those roles were for Maria.

Neither of those turn up anything.

1: No sweat, you're doing better than many DM's on the site and general intent gets across easily.
    2: Thought so.
    3: Didn't think so, so I went off my memory based on current knowledge. Probably isn't as much as he knows off the top of his head, but he wasn't going for a top of head answer. Tell me if anything in my post sounds too complex or like something he wouldn't know.

5. - Top - End - #95

Planetar

Thanks for that, I kind of tend to be hyper-critical when doing stuff I'm really passionate about and then unfortunately assume that other people are looking at what I do by the same yard stick.

Anyway, just one comment about the mythology. IIRC, Ymir was around pre-yggdrasil, one of the first things made from the steam of Nifleheim and Muspleheim. As such, I doubt that he drew his life from the tree.

[EDIT] Also, just playful musing here, what exactly does your hat of disguise usually end being disguised as, Bill? For some strange reason, magical hats seem to default to top hats for me and I am reasonably confident that those would look out of place.
    Last edited by LordotTrinkets; 2015-08-10 at 12:42 PM.

*And now I have an image of an animated suit of adamantine armor, complete with armor spikes and a wicked scythe, wearing a top hat. And it is awesome.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

I forgot about that part, yeah, there isn't a specific penalty for that, it just says that it makes playing it difficult.

Adjustment of the template was what I was planning on working with.

The bottom of the window is about knee height, no climb check would be needed. This might be another miscommunication, but why would you climb out the window? The entrance would be the most direct path to the temple complex's exit and the street that Luginn traveled. Whatever the answer might be, I'm going to be posting a battle map in the next post (which hopefully won't take too long to get to, I'm sorry if I've annoyed anyone with the rate of action).
    Just seems to me that the shortest route between any two points is a straight line...

Also, I may have been incorrectly assuming that Luginn flew out the window to begin with.

I wouldn't be losing any tempo or inconveniencing you by waiting for that battle-map would I? Never mind, you already have it posted, although I'm not sure if the merging of cells is cosmetic or actually denotes architectural separation. I don't see any markings for windows and doors (Pro Tip: Arrows made of v ^ --> <-- , or dashed boarders). Can I just move in straight lines usually? Mostly I just need to get out of the temple I'm in. After that I'm going to be dodging through the streets and avoiding buildings mostly... or so I hypothesize. "No plan of battle survives contact with the enemy."
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2015-08-10 at 01:00 PM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

7. - Top - End - #97

Planetar

Thanks for those tips for doors and such, any suggestions for doing them at an angle? Do I just provide symbolism and then point in the direction that the door or whatever leads? I think I might go with that.

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    *snip*

"No plan of battle survives contact with the enemy."
    And that's why you never fight against the ENEMY.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Anyway, just one comment about the mythology. IIRC, Ymir was around pre-yggdrasil, one of the first things made from the steam of Nifleheim and Muspleheim. As such, I doubt that he drew his life from the tree.
    To my knowledge Ymir's body was used to make Earth/Midgard, so the tree could be feeding his corpse purely to keep it from rotting.
    Last edited by 5ColouredWalker; 2015-08-10 at 04:26 PM.

9. - Top - End - #99

Planetar

Yep, just verified, that is 100% true. Ymir's corpse was thrown into the Gunnerkrig gap (I can't remember/pronounce the actual name) and Midgard was made out of his brows.

As a side note, Yggdrasil was growing long before anyone could remember, which would put its growing somewhere before the birth of Ymir. In fact, I believe that in one of the Eddas, Odin learned some secret knowledge from a giantess who was alive before the world tree began to grow... but apparently doesn't know when the tree started growing as per Heimdal's comment...

...And you thought the cow was weird.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Could still work, the tree just needs to have started feeding his corpse after he died. Depending on when the Giantess lived it could even be post Ymir [Though I find reason to doubt that.]
    In any case, I'll go with not rolling high enough and it having needed research.

Also, his brows? As in just his forehead hair?
    Damn. Either we are ludicrously small or Ymir was huge.

11. - Top - End - #101

Planetar

Damn. Either we are ludicrously small or Ymir was huge.
    That second one. To put into context just how big he was, when he was killed, he had enough blood gushing from him to flood the world.

Granted, if Midgard is no bigger than his eyebrows, that actually isn't very impressive, but I believe the legend is referring to the world as in the space that all the realms would occupy i.e. 'world' tree.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Bugbear in the Playground

Also, just playful musing here, what exactly does your hat of disguise usually end being disguised as, Bill? For some strange reason, magical hats seem to default to top hats for me and I am reasonably confident that those would look out of place.
    I always imagined it as defaulting to a top hat*, but per the SRD it can change its appearance to a comb, ribbon, cap, headband, etc to match the disguise. From now on I'll specifically describe what it looks like in the disguise, but Reaver usually chooses whatever he thinks would be complement the disguise. For example, when disguised as that workman the hat appeared to be a dingy cap. He obviously would not use that appearance if disguised as an upper class fop or an exotic dancer (and I have a sudden desire to use that last one as one of his disguises).

13. - Top - End - #103
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I forgot my attacks attack roll. (1d20+6)[12]

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks for those tips for doors and such, any suggestions for doing them at an angle? Do I just provide symbolism and then point in the direction that the door or whatever leads? I think I might go with that.
    Well you can look at THIS for how I used slashes and underscores to approximate a diagonal, in C7 for example.

EDIT: Is the thing in C34 (on the map for THIS campaign) the window or the door or what? Does the gremlin near me have visible wings? Is that gremlin still active after Merome hit it? (may have alreaedy asked this last one before, but how high up is the window from the ground below it? Sorry to cause such delay, but I want to move myself on the map rather than requiring you to do it (a pet peeve of mine in my own games) and I can't do that if I don't know what is what.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2015-08-10 at 11:06 PM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

15. - Top - End - #105

Planetar

And now I have an image of an animated suit of adamantine armor, complete with armor spikes and a wicked scythe, wearing a top hat. And it is awesome.
    There is nothing I can say to top that, can I sig that?

...disguised as... an exotic dancer (and I have a sudden desire to use that last one as one of his disguises).
    Is it wrong that my first thought after that was "Boy or girl figure?"

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    Well you can look at THIS for how I used slashes and underscores to approximate a diagonal, in C7 for example.

EDIT: Is the thing in C34 (on the map for THIS campaign) the window or the door or what? Does the gremlin near me have visible wings? Is that gremlin still active after Merome hit it? (may have alreaedy asked this last one before, but how high up is the window from the ground below it? Sorry to cause such delay, but I want to move myself on the map rather than requiring you to do it (a pet peeve of mine in my own games) and I can't do that if I don't know what is what.
    Again, thanks. C34 is the window, D32 are the stairs that head down and the arrows point in the direction that it leads in (up and the to the right), E33 is a hill, less stable but still traversable (Balance DC 3). Gremlins do not have wings of any sort, in this world, they're more along the lines of just impish monkeys that like to tamper with stuff they're curious about. The window's bottom is at knee height, you wouldn't need to make any climb check. Also, since I think I forgot to answer this before, the merged cells are there to signify one solid object or and group of objects, I basically found it easier to merge and then type down stuff than to put something down in each tile.

[EDIT] Archwarrior, those are two separate attacks, please make a second attack roll.
    Last edited by LordotTrinkets; 2015-08-11 at 10:25 AM.

16. - Top - End - #106

There is nothing I can say to top that, can I sig that?
    Sure, go ahead. Also, on a completely unrelated topic, is there anywhere I can buy a monocle and a fake mustache?

Is it wrong that my first thought after that was "Boy or girl figure?"
    Ah, the eternal question: to be a Terminator disguised as Magic Mike or Stripperella. Again, it would depend on what the mission is, but now I want to work both of them in...somehow. I should probably also use a less sexualized disguise to balance them out though, like a nun or something. (Yes, I'm a nun in a society based on the Norse civilization. Now shut up.)

Actually, now that I think about it, is there even a nun class? I mean, they have monks, crusaders, clerics, tons of disciples, and even evangelists and apostles (of peace) but no nuns?!

17. - Top - End - #107

Planetar

I don't see any reason why not, in fact, why not throw in a gold pocket watch made by the gnomes?

Huh, you know I never really noticed that before. I know what you're getting at, but I actually think it wouldn't qualify for its own class or even prestige class. As far as I know, nuns in the real world were just women who dedicated themselves to a religious lifestyle, weren't even rumored to have supernatural powers unless they qualified for sainthood. Because of that, they'd likely just be reskinned adepts/cloistered clerics with the vow of chastity feat.

However, that does remind me of a more comedic way that I once had 'nuns' in the game. Pretty much, it just boiled down to everyone calling the female monk a nun.

18. - Top - End - #108

Planetar

By the way Walker, if you'd like to continue using the accent that I used for Tregall before, I based it on Japanese grammar structure. As an example of what that is, instead of saying 'throw the shoes down the stairs' you'd say 'down the stairs the shoes throw'.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

I'll find their bonuses later, I think Maria is +1...

Listen, then spot.

Maria
    (1d20)[5]
    (1d20)[15]

Tregal
    (1d20)[9]
    (1d20)[20]

Edit: Well, neither of them have negatives. I guess they were just facing the right way at the right time.

I'll also continue with the same mode of speech.

Extra Edit: It occurred to me after opening them I may have needed to pass both. I'm going to make my post with two sections, one of a 'If both', one of a 'If one was enough.' Anyhow, it turns out everyone in my party only has a +1 in spot/listen.
    Last edited by 5ColouredWalker; 2015-08-17 at 05:49 PM.

20. - Top - End - #110

Planetar

I suppose that you'd technically need to win both checks for what is written to make sense, but I'm going to say that if you beat one, you beat both. No need for the 'if-thens', just post your actions.

21. - Top - End - #111

Planetar

Walker, the gremlin spoke to you directly, is Maria pulling a 'five more minutes mommy' thing here? Also, a quick question about Erick. In his back story, a pact was made so that death could not see him, but he is also able to make pacts with the 'death' theme. How is this? Was that just a one off that applied only to that situation or does he just make deals with the dead and not death itself?

Also, Reaver, I assume that the disguise is solely for the contingency that the person at the door is not Bargath?

22. - Top - End - #112
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Pacts with the Dead, not death. Higher end ones could be directed towards death but in that even he wouldn't be able to do those...
    Hmm... It might be interesting to see about making one that prevents him from being observed at all by the dead and those that collect the dead.

If it was one off, I'd think he'd just drop dead after the pact wore off, Like I'm semi-planing for him to if Maria ever dies. [Likewise, Tregal goes back to gnawing on the Tree... She's kinda the groups Lynchpin in a rather more literal sense than normal.]

As for what she's aiming for, it's more like getting a phonecall in the middle of dinner, and getting up and asking 'Who are you and why should I not hang up on you now?"

23. - Top - End - #113

Also, Reaver, I assume that the disguise is solely for the contingency that the person at the door is not Bargath?
    Correct. With the current threats of riots against the dwarves (not to mention every other character encountering gremlins) it seems like a good idea to be cautious. If it's just Bargath, it is merely an unnecessary precaution. Reaver just doesn't want Miranda to get insulted about "doubting her ability to take care of herself" again.

Oh and before I forget, just some quick questions:
    1) Who or what are the Volvu?
    2) Where is Noraran?
    Last edited by BilltheCynic; 2015-08-18 at 09:20 AM.

24. - Top - End - #114

Planetar

Perfect, I just wanted to make sure before I posted.

To answer your questions, Bill:
    1)Volvu are the primary diviners of the world, female wizards who specialize in divinations crunch-wise. 'Volvu' (volva as the singular) is what witches were traditionally called in the north, but there is a difference in this world, particularly in that true witches are incredibly evil things with a stinkin' lot of natural magic in them.
    2)Making himself a snack in the kitchen. Dark elves are primarily nocturnal.

25. - Top - End - #115

Perfect
    Why is it that when I read that, this scene comes to mind?
    Last edited by BilltheCynic; 2015-08-18 at 09:50 PM.

26. - Top - End - #116

Planetar

Why is it that when I read that, this scene comes to mind?
    : I haven't the foggiest of an idea.

Anyway, rolls (mmm):
    Listen: (1d20+6)[8]
    Listen 2: (1d20+6)[10]
    Spot: (1d20+6)[25]
    Spot 2: (1d20+6)[19]

27. - Top - End - #117

Planetar

Sorry for the double post, but: (1d20+8)[23] and (1d8)[4]

28. - Top - End - #118
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Chelp you vant ve. ******n veels common enyemy."
    What did he say

29. - Top - End - #119

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Arch warrior View Post
    What did he say
    Translation: "We want to help ya. Them wheels're the common enemy."

Is the gremlin accent just too thick in general? If it is, I can tone it down a bit.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

I don't think so, but I've always been good with accents.
    Including typed ones, because I'm used to talking with people who find proper spelling a quaint notion, much to my annoyance.