New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default spider climb vs trip

I am DMing a campaign with a player who has a tripping barbarian with a spike chain. Last week I was running a vampire who at one point was spider climbing on the ceiling of his crypt. the player wanted to trip him so he would fall to the ground. At the time I ruled that he was using all 4 limbs like spiderman, so tripping wouldn't work. Was this the right call?
    Thanks

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: spider climb vs trip

At the time I ruled that he was using all 4 limbs like spiderman, so tripping wouldn't work. Was this the right call?
    I don't see connection between number of used limbs and working of trip.
    Do you think you can't trip, example, horse, because it is using all 4 limbs?

UPD: +4 stability bonus - yes; immunity to trip - no.
    Last edited by loky1109; 2022-02-02 at 05:02 PM.
    If you could make anything and everything welcome to the Zinc Saucier XLV: Figaro

My competition's medals.

Spoiler: For purposes of clarity
    Show
    1109 is September, 11 - my birthday.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

The vampire's ability is based on the spider climb spell, which says "The affected creature must have its hands free to climb in this manner." To me, this suggests that the spell works by allowing your hands and feet to adhere to walls and ceilings, which in turn would mean that pulling a limb or two away from the wall or ceiling by tripping could make you fall. Essentially, you need several points of contact to maintain a grip on a wall, and tripping can deny you those points of contact.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Using four or more limbs to move doesn't make you immune to trip, but it may provide a defensive bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD - Trip
    The defender gets a +4 bonus on his check if he has more than two legs or is otherwise more stable than a normal humanoid.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    Using four or more limbs to move doesn't make you immune to trip, but it may provide a defensive bonus.
    I could also see the fact that you're presumably anchored somehow to the ceiling rather than just holding on making it more difficult. Either requiring a separate Str check to overcome or just providing another +4 on the trip check.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Balthanon View Post
    I could also see the fact that you're presumably anchored somehow to the ceiling rather than just holding on making it more difficult. Either requiring a separate Str check to overcome or just providing another +4 on the trip check.
    Or you could say that because the moment they lose their grip they fall they are at a disadvantage.

It could go ether way or be a wash. When you run into a situation as a DM where factors could go ether way I feel it's best to just let the rules work as written and let the dice speak. If the players roll high and the monster rolls low, the situation was unfavorable to the monster. If the monster rolls well and the players roll badly, factors are favorable to resisting the trip.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

I would argue that spider climb makes you stick to the wall (or ceiling), meaning you're not so much immune to any and all trip attempts, but you are immune to being dislodged from the ceiling like this.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    The vampire's ability is based on the spider climb spell, which says "The affected creature must have its hands free to climb in this manner." To me, this suggests that the spell works by allowing your hands and feet to adhere to walls and ceilings, which in turn would mean that pulling a limb or two away from the wall or ceiling by tripping could make you fall. Essentially, you need several points of contact to maintain a grip on a wall, and tripping can deny you those points of contact.
    I agree with this assessment. It is how I have ruled tripping opponents using Spider Climb.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    I would argue that spider climb makes you stick to the wall (or ceiling), meaning you're not so much immune to any and all trip attempts, but you are immune to being dislodged from the ceiling like this.
    If you couldn't be dislodged, it would mean that the sticking force was unbeatable. That's an unfounded assumption. I can knock a real spider off the ceiling easily.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    I can knock a real spider off the ceiling easily.
    You are several orders of magnitude bigger than the spider, and the barbarian is roughly the same size as the vampire. That doesn't strike me as a good comparison.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

If something didn't write in spell description - spell doesn't do it.
    If you could make anything and everything welcome to the Zinc Saucier XLV: Figaro

My competition's medals.

Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

RAW he would go prone on the ceiling. Tripping doesn't knock climbing creatures down, but spider climb provides no immunity to tripping.

RAI, spider climb allows you to climb as well as a spider does. So sure, there's some level of adherence, but even upscaled to a person it's not unbeatable. I'd use the standard trip mechanics with the +4 bonus to the defender for being "unusually stable or having more than 2 legs", and then he'd fall because by definition trip means that you lose your footing, which you need to retain for spider climb to work.
    If any idiot ever tells you that life would be meaningless without death, Hyperion recommends killing them!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    RAW he would go prone on the ceiling.
    Where is that written? Spider climb doesn't change how gravity works.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

You are several orders of magnitude bigger than the spider, and the barbarian is roughly the same size as the vampire. That doesn't strike me as a good comparison.
    You can often make spiders fall by throwing a small piece of wadded up paper at them (no more than twice their mass), as I've done when removing a spider that's up too high to reach. Actually big spiders usually fall more easily, if anything.

And they have eight legs, so twice as stable as said vampire.
    Last edited by icefractal; 2022-02-03 at 08:01 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    RAW he would go prone on the ceiling. Tripping doesn't knock climbing creatures down, but spider climb provides no immunity to tripping.
    I was waiting this point.

Prone creature can move only 5 ft with full round, doesn't have Dex to AC, and attackers have +4 on melee against it.
    No, vampire isn't prone on the ceiling.

My competition's medals.

Show

16. - Top - End - #16

RogueGuy

Where is that written? Spider climb doesn't change how gravity works.
    Gravity isn't RAW. Technically Trip doesn't knock people down. It applies the prone condition to them. There is no rule that says you can't go prone while climbing.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fouredged Sword View Post
    Gravity isn't RAW. Technically Trip doesn't knock people down. It applies the prone condition to them. There is no rule that says you can't go prone while climbing.
    Yes, that. If something didn't write in special attack description - special attack doesn't do it.

It doesn't make sense to simultaneously claim you MUST follow RAW-and-only-RAW regarding the Spider Climb spell, and then MUST apply common-sense-that's-not-written-down regarding the Trip special attack. This is a corner case either way, requiring a DM judgment call.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Exclamation Re: spider climb vs trip

Quote Originally Posted by PHB, p. 311
    Prone: Lying on the ground.
    You can't lie on celling.
    Last edited by loky1109; 2022-02-04 at 06:20 AM.

My competition's medals.

Show

19. - Top - End - #19

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by loky1109 View Post
    Right. It may actually cause the vampire to teleport to the ground.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Right. It may actually cause the vampire to teleport to the ground.
    Do you know how find closest water in a desert?
    You should summon crocodile and order it to grab you.

My competition's medals.

Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by loky1109 View Post
    It makes sense, then, to rule that creatures on the ceiling can't be tripped, just like how swimming or burrowing or levitating creatures cannot be tripped.

But see? DM judgment call. You can't lie on the ceiling, so does this mean that you end up lying somewhere else (i.e. the ground), or that you end up not lying but still on the ceiling? Judgment call either way, don't pretend it's not.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

It makes sense, then, to rule that creatures on the ceiling can't be tripped, just like how swimming or burrowing or levitating creatures cannot be tripped.
    Why can't? I don't see any problems in tripping swimming creature.

But see? DM judgment call. You can't lie on the ceiling, so does this mean that you end up lying somewhere else (i.e. the ground), or that you end up not lying but still on the ceiling? Judgment call either way, don't pretend it's not.
    When you tripped you now prone. Prone is laying on ground. What questions?
    Last edited by loky1109; 2022-02-04 at 07:03 AM.

My competition's medals.

Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Oh, come on! Ridiculous.

Spider CLIMB allows CLIMBING.
    Climbing by definition (and RAW) acknowledges gravity, and falling. There is no debate here.

There might be a debate about whether more than 2 legs counts as stability when climbing, due to the "or" clause in the stability rule. But as spider climb needs 3 hands minimum, i would rule that no stability is implied.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

Thanks everyone for their input. I think (for my game) I'm going to rule that he can be tripped and if so drops to floor due to gravity. But will get a +8 to his trip str/dex check. (4 for multiple limbs and 4 for "adhesive" from the spiderclimb spell) this will also allow falling damage and follow all those rules.

thanks

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

[QUOTE=Fouredged Sword;25354411]Gravity isn't RAW.

This is not correct.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thac0 Redeye View Post
    Thanks everyone for their input. I think (for my game) I'm going to rule that he can be tripped and if so drops to floor due to gravity. But will get a +8 to his trip str/dex check. (4 for multiple limbs and 4 for "adhesive" from the spiderclimb spell) this will also allow falling damage and follow all those rules.

thanks
    The spiderclimb spell is not sufficient to stick with two limbs. If it were I’d see reason enough for allowing some bonus there. If you could stick with one limb a bigger bonus sure. +8 on a vampire in this context is effectively a “don’t bother rolling” which has me wondering on the real intent.
    If all rules are suggestions what happens when I pass the save?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xervous View Post
    The spiderclimb spell is not sufficient to stick with two limbs. If it were I’d see reason enough for allowing some bonus there. If you could stick with one limb a bigger bonus sure. +8 on a vampire in this context is effectively a “don’t bother rolling” which has me wondering on the real intent.
    I mean... this helps the players at least as much going forward given that they have access to spider climb as well (whether through magic items or spells.) So long as it's applied consistently it doesn't matter what the final ruling is really.

28. - Top - End - #28

RogueGuy

[QUOTE=InvisibleBison;25354549]
    Gravity isn't RAW.

This is not correct.
    Point to you, gravity is RAW, but has no effect on trip mechanics. It controls fall damage, encumbrance, and some skill modifiers.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

[QUOTE=Fouredged Sword;25355018]

Point to you, gravity is RAW, but has no effect on trip mechanics. It controls fall damage, encumbrance, and some skill modifiers.
    That's a little like saying that gravity has no effect on movement, or range in dnd. In reality the effect of gravity is assumed throughout dnd, but rarely mentioned. The reason for this is that everyone knows how gravity works.

If you walk off a cliff, do you get to keep walking? You didn't "fall". You didn't trip. But we all know why spider climb, feather fall, and fly are spells. Because gravity.

We assume all normal effects of gravity in the game.
    Last edited by bean illus; 2022-02-04 at 07:20 PM.