New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Ozodrin (5E Conversion, PEACH)

Quote Originally Posted by Magikeeper View Post
    Alright, I have a big question for anyone that's played a level 6+ Ozodrin:

How would you have been effected if Ozodrin changed their advanced alterations on Long rests instead of Short rests?

This is less for design space - I'd likely keep Ozodrin ability refreshing keyed to short rests as they are not casters - and more to make determining balance easier. From what I can tell, most Ozodrin players only switch out a couple FP per rest and otherwise maintain a single combat style. But the class currently needs to stay balanced even if the player is willing to completely reform all of their FP every rest, or is willing to ask the party to rest in order to grab a particularly useful alteration for the situation. As it is, Ozodrin keep up pretty well with other martial classes without needing to be a short rest away from whichever non-combat alteration would be the best tool for the job. Even level 6 is a little early to be asking this one, more like level 8+ is likely when the Ozodrin has enough FP to seriously be swapping stuff in and out. Considering most 5E games go from 1-12ish that's another reason to consider the switch, as it makes balancing simpler by sacrificing something most Ozodrin PCs barely use.

Thoughts?
    Very little; I've only changed things once or twice a level, really, up through level 7. In our game, at least, "just wait an hour to reconfigure" does not tend to feel like much of an option for most problems; changes are more likely to be from thinking of a new idea or reconsidering what seems generally most useful, or because the class has been edited. Currently this has settled on "Digging Fins, Carved Spikes, and Tether for utility, Razor Fins, Specialized Organs, and Flowing Motions for combat, and then there's only one point left and all the other notable stuff costs 2 so grab Adaptive Musculature I guess?"

Also, keeping that utility on all the time has proved to be helpful for the DM, who can therefore take into account that the party will reliably have access to small tools, rope, and rapid excavation when planning a scenario. And there's not much that would seem worth waiting an hour for? Maaaybe smokebombs, but everything else runs into the whole "if you're waiting an hour to prep for combat, whoever you're planning to fight might have just left or done whatever you're fighting to stop" problem.

Part of it might be that our usual modus operandi is "investigate, find something that maybe leads to a situation where combat or other abilities would be useful, rest after". There tends to be enough urgency or other change-over-time that taking a break between "investigate" and "act on findings" is only an option for the long-term stuff, across an arc of multiple sessions, and therefore it doesn't really matter whether it's a change at short rests or at long rests.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

2. - Top - End - #182
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well, I've received 2 opinions on the "short rest FP redistribution -> long rest redistribution" matter, both from players with Fin primary experience (once of which is as above [thank you for the input! :D], other off-site). Naturally, they have the exact opposite view. ;.;

Edit: To share more, the other one was Fin/Orifice/Eye (older version of all of them) at level 11+ and they frequently changed between scouting / party bus / pure combat builds, and would have had "a lot less fun" if they had to wait a long rest in-between.

Anyone else have input they'd like to give on this matter?

Edit 2: Having a limit to how much you can change during a short rest would most directly resolve all of these concerns but how to simply word it - as in *very* simply as this is a core class mechanic and *any* additional complication could turn groups off of it - is tricky.

Edit 3: Maybe:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (_) Advanced alterations
    You gain 2 form points at level 1, and gain an additional form point at each subsequent level. These form points are used to pay for Advanced alterations, and are regained when the chosen alterations are removed. You may redistribute up to half your form points, rounded up, whenever you complete a short rest. You may redistribute all of your form points whenever you complete a long rest. Advance alterations do not inherently change what you look like - although they may give additional options when altering your Base alterations.

??

I just need to find some people with zero knowledge of the class to see if that makes sense..

Edit 4: Wait, no, that leaves open the possibility of double short resting. The number of players willing to do that is tiny, I imagine, but it'd be there. Hrm.

Edit 5: Maybe something like.. (quick draft)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Mallable Form
    Starting at 9th level, you may redistribute up to 5 of your form points when you complete a short rest. Once you’ve redistributed a total of 5 form points this way, you must finish a long rest before doing so again.
    Last edited by Magikeeper; 2021-07-25 at 05:01 PM.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Pixie in the Playground

Your solution seems reasonable to me. You could probably consider borrowing some of the language of arcane recovery.

Spoiler: Arcane Recovery
    Show
    You have learned to regain some of your magical energy by studying your Spellbook. Once per day when you finish a Short Rest, you can choose expended Spell Slots to recover. The Spell Slots can have a combined level that is equal to or less than half your Wizard level (rounded up), and none of the slots can be 6th level or higher.For example, if you’re a 4th-level Wizard, you can recover up to two levels worth of Spell Slots. You can recover either a 2nd-level spell slot or two 1st-level Spell Slots.

More specifically I would suggest drawing on "Once per day when you finish a Short Rest, you can choose..." which limits the number of times you can rearrange form points using a short rest without over complicating things. Whether or not the rest of it is of any use in balancing your trait would depend on how you value form points in relation to spell slots and such.
    Last edited by sallyisgreat; 2021-07-25 at 11:41 PM.

4. - Top - End - #184

@sallyisgreat: Having the daily limit be the same as the per-rest limit removes the incentive to double rest and such, and 5fp will usually only be enough for 1-2 rests. Limiting it to once a day would be more restrictive, and it would also remove the possibility of swapping 1-2fp and then doing so again after a later rest, which I imagine would be a common use case. I don't think swapping in/out 1-2fp at that level is a balance concern, so I'd rather let it remain possible. I think FP usage is more comparable to divine spells known than spell slots, although it's not quite the same thing.

I've gone with:

Malleable Form
    Starting at 9th level, you may redistribute up to 5 of your form points when you finish a short rest. Once you’ve redistributed a total of 5 form points this way, over one or more short rests, you must finish a long rest before doing so again.

The lone off-site spokesperson for the constant-shift faction is good with the above.

----

Energy Consuming Flesh 2fp->1fp, now that you're stuck with it for the whole day. Acclimating Flesh was likewise changed from 1fp->2fp, to keep it at a total of 3fp w/Energy Consuming Flesh.
    Last edited by Magikeeper; 2021-07-26 at 11:15 AM.

5. - Top - End - #185

The day @babus has been waiting for has arrived: I have finally made the base puppet trait do something. As expected, this doubled the length of the puppet description. I basically moved a weaker version of the Shifting Strings cord extension ability (1 cord, 40' max) and altered Shifting Strings to improve that (still 3x cord, 120' max). Un-extended puppets cannot leave your space EDIT: Well, "cannot leave" bit was sort of always the intent, in a confusing manner that's now in the past >.>. Wording was updated as well, notable changes are 1lb->5lb, some clarification on puppets using Oppose/Support on each other/themselves, Myriad Self getting updated to match current puppet (it had some text that made no sense), and misc wording tweaks to match the new base trait.

I also tweaked the puppet description in general, I think it better describes what puppets can and cannot do now. Most recent addition was noting that if you're hit with an AOE you're only effected once. 400% damage from fireballs is not risk vs reward, it's a crippling design flaw. Granted, you could have already interpreted it to only effect you once (since not doing so is dooming the character), but now it is specified.

----

Base Eye trait can now make perception checks as a bonus action. I might remove the advantage VS blinding to reduce Base Alteration bonus clutter.

-----

I also nerfed Terpsichorean Limbs - the bonus action gives disadvantage on AoO's instead of negating them entirely. It also gives disadvantage to Investigation checks, which.. generally only has synergy with illusions but some Ozodrin will have access to those.

Other stuff was done this week as well, it's in the log~

-----------------

Edit: More Tentacle tweaks. Aim is for Tentacle to be more interesting at low levels. I like how Devious Tentacles turned out. Edit: I might change the slight of hands thing to a bonus die. The Free Object interaction stuff I think is good, though.

Edit: BIG CHANGES for EYE trait. Especially TI. I think Murmuring at TII should probably be looked at.. but TI eye should be a fair bit more dynamic now. Also might be possible to pull a wis/cha Eye build now.

Edit: More changes to Eye, including Murmuring! Also some other tweaks. Filtering Flesh was replaced with Accommodating Flesh and moved to T1 (Energy Consuming moved to T2). Accommodating Flesh is something that could not have been balanced at T1 before the change to long-rest reforming, imo (it gains the ability to be altered at-will when you get Colluding Anatomy [before you get Mallable Flesh]).

Over all, the intent of these changes are to make lvl 1-5 Ozodrin more interesting to play, as most campaigns are in the 1-11 range and for many traits the first 5 levels were kind of dry. Also trying to make the more niche alterations (Filtering, Murmuring) more general-purpose in use. The "choose an option" mechanic is seeing far more use now as a way to combine smaller thematic effects into one ability, hope people like that. >.>
    Last edited by Magikeeper; 2021-08-01 at 04:13 PM.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Pixie in the Playground

Looking at some of the new flesh changes, like Abstract Flesh, I really enjoy the synergy and interaction between the alterations and the core class's main features, especially given that said interacted with feature is just about my favorite of the bunch Sinister Image. While the lore of "spreading your existence to leave a bloodstain" seems like the wording could do with some reworking I love the idea. Maybe you could have the mechanism by which the bloodstain is left be a little more mundane, spurting blood in a gory explosion, or maybe you could make it so that the stain left behind is less explicitly blood and a more platonic, metaphysical sort of corruption so that the "spreading your existence" thing still meshes well. In addition the formatting for the Illusive Flesh alteration could use a little fiddling to get the list function working properly.
    Last edited by sallyisgreat; 2021-08-10 at 05:41 PM.

7. - Top - End - #187

Quote Originally Posted by sallyisgreat View Post
    Maybe you could have the mechanism by which the bloodstain is left be a little more mundane, spurting blood in a gory explosion, or maybe you could make it so that the stain left behind is less explicitly blood and a more platonic, metaphysical sort of corruption so that the "spreading your existence" thing still meshes well. In addition the formatting for the Illusive Flesh alteration could use a little fiddling to get the list function working properly.
    I was thinking more of a horror movie-esq "blood seeping into the walls around you" sort of thing. But, eh, I can see your point. I haven't thought of a better solution yet, though. Having it not be blood leads to the question of "well, what IS it?" and the splurting.. shooting blood at things seems kinda iffy. Having blood seep out of you and spread could work, but then it would need be limited to touch range..

---

In the meantime, I've tweaked Coiling again and finally made Magic Ripping more generally usable (folded the magic detection into it).
    Last edited by Magikeeper; 2021-08-26 at 12:11 AM.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Pixie in the Playground

I was thinking more of a horror movie-esq "blood seeping into the walls around you" sort of thing.
    Maybe you could have the target take on some characteristics of flesh, expanding and bowing inward as if breathing, becoming warm and pliable, and maybe even echoing with the sound of a pulse. Assimilating the environment into a horrifying flesh mass that oozes out and stains with blood only enhances the horror theme while also gelling with the "spreading your existence thing". You could write it up like, "As an action you can blur and extend your existence in order to quickly and temporarily infect an unattended object or surface within 15’ of you with your essence. It briefly takes on the qualities of your flesh, shuddering with breath and beating with a pulse whose rhythm is in time with your own. So affected, it's newly gained pores will seep out and stain it with your blood, or whatever equivelant fluid you possess, before the fleshly qualities of the target fade and only your stain remains. This bloodstain can be any pattern you desire, such as a symbol that represents you, and this blood dissolves when you complete a short or long rest,". That write-up could be too long though, especially when most of the length comes from fluff and lore.

Edit:Just thought of a good example, like the breathing door from Haunted Mansion, the one with Eddie Murphy.
    Last edited by sallyisgreat; 2021-08-26 at 12:32 AM.

9. - Top - End - #189

@sallyisgreat - I had some versions like that, it has the issue of leaving people to wonder if attacking the flesh hurts the Ozodrin and the like. The bloodstain is clearly just a symbol. Still pondering.

--

In the meantime, I've been thinking of a Fin overhaul. The intent is to make low-level Fin more interesting in combat and a little more versatile, and to make doing things besides Razor Fin a more viable option. I’m not editing in the fin changes just yet, as this would include some sizable changes. Overall, easier to deal reasonable damage with regular fin attacks / cheaper FP-wise. Razor Fin would be a bonus action again that deals 3d4 but it would now restrict your actions to only using Dash/Disengage/Shove/Ability checks. The main issue with balancing Razor Fin and improving fin attacks was using them together, after all.

Spoiler: FIN OVERHAUL
    Show
    TI:
    2fp - Whirling Fins
    When you hit a creature with a fin attack on your turn you may, as a bonus action, do one of the following if you're not wearing heavy armor:
    • Use the force of the blow to push yourself 5' in any direction. This movement does not provoke an opportunity attack.
    • Deal 1d6 bludgeoning damage to the stuck creature.
    • Make a special Shove attempt against the struck creature. You may add your Dexterity modifier (minimum +0) to the Strength(Athletics) check made to do so.

Furthermore, you gain proficiency in Acrobatics. If you were already proficient, your proficiency bonus is doubled for any check made with it. This doubling does not stack with Expertise.

1fp – Momentous Fins [Replacing Martial Fins]
    Like a tightly wound spring, your musculature is particularly adept at storing the kinetic force brought about by your motions but can’t hold it for long. When you damage an opponent with a fin attack, if you moved at least 10 feet in a straight line this turn, the struck foe takes an additional 1d6 damage. You can only apply this extra damage once per turn, but it can stack with the ability below.

Furthermore, you can store the kinetic force brought about by outside forces; when you take bludgeoning, slashing, and/or piercing damage you can use your reaction to store the force of the blow. You can then release the stored force the next time you successfully score a hit with a fin attack before the end of your next turn. If you do, the attack deals an additional amount of bludgeoning damage equal to half the total amount bludgeoning, piercing, and/or slashing damage you were previously dealt, rounded down (e.g. if you use your reaction after being hit with an arrow for 9 piercing damage, your fin attack would deal an additional 4 bludgeoning damage). Once you’ve used two reactions this way, you must finish a short or long rest before doing so again.

2fp - Swift Fins – Same as before, but you can also subtract 10 feet when calculating falling damage.

1fp – Specialized Organs
    You can modify your internal organs to better support continual movement and lengthy dives. You can hold your breath four times as long you would otherwise be able to, and become immune to atmospheric pressure effects and altitude sickness. You also have advantage on Constitution saving throws made to move/travel quickly for long periods of time and on any ability checks made to move in adverse conditions (stormy water, strong winds, etc).

Furthermore, at the end of any creature’s turn you can use your reaction to move 5’. This provokes opportunity attacks as normal. Once you’ve used two reactions this way, you must finish a short or long rest before doing so again.

1fp - Digging Fins – No Change. Should this change?

TII:
    1fp – Flowing Motions (Requires Specialized Organs)
    You can tweak and refine the motor control capabilities of your neural system or its equivalent, allowing you to precisely and efficiently maximize your movements. You can count the Dash and Disengage actions as Fin trait alteration-granted abilities for the purpose of using them with the MultiAssault and Focus Surge features.

Furthermore, when you take the Dash action you can make an attack with a fin as a bonus action.

2fp – Razor Fins
    Your fins may deal slashing damage instead of bludgeoning damage.

Furthermore, your body’s union of shaping and motion enable feats of traveling destruction more akin to a bladed gust of wind than a living thing. If you have not yet performed an action on your turn you can, as a bonus action, make a Strength or Dexterity ability check and add your proficiency modifier to the result. Until the end of your turn, any opponent you move within 5' of, whose armor class is less than the result of the check, takes 3d4 slashing damage. Roll this damage once and apply it to all effected creatures a single time. You cannot damage the same creature twice with the same use of this ability. Any opponent damaged this way cannot make opportunity attacks against you for the rest of your turn. Until the end of your turn, you can only use your actions to Dash, Disengage, Shove, and/or make ability checks. This does not give you the ability to use these actions with MultiAssault unless you could already do so.

1fp – Dynamic Fins (Requires Momentous Fins) [Replacing Blitzing Fins]
    You can expertly shift and tweak your musculature to change a single kinetic release into a continuous stream of violence. The extra 1d6 damage granted by your Momentous Fins alteration can be applied to any number of fin attacks each turn instead of just one.

Furthermore, when you successfully use the shove action to push a creature you may choose to move 5 feet in the same direction to continue the push. Doing this uses your movement as normal. If you do, the creature is pushed back an additional 5 feet.

Finally, you can count the Shove action as a Fin trait alteration-granted ability for the purpose of using it with the Focus Surge and MultiAssault features.

1fp - Diving Fins (Requires Swift Fins) - Otherwise same ability.

TIII:
    1fp – Blitzing Fins (Requires Swift Fins) [Neo Sprinting Fins]
    You may, once per turn as an action, gain additional movement for one turn. This increase equals twice your speed, after applying any modifiers. This ability counts as using the Dash action for the purpose of other abilities and effects (such as Razor Fins). You can only use this ability on your turn, and only then if you are not wearing heavy armor.

Furthermore, whenever you use this alteration to gain additional movement you also gain the following benefits until the end of the current turn:
    • Enemy creatures have disadvantage on opportunity attacks made against you.
    • If you damage a creature with an attack or ability granted by a Fin trait alteration, such as by attacking with a fin, you may add twice your proficiency modifier to the damage dealt. You may only add this damage once per turn. If the ability damaged multiple creatures (e.g Razor Fins), choose one creature to take the additional damage.

1fp – Flexible Fins (Requires Whirling Fins) [Replaces Unfettered Motions]
    Your ability to instinctually tweak your movements and musculature to make the most of your motions is further enhanced; when you fail to hit an opponent with a fin, you gain +2 on the next attack roll you make with a fin against that opponent on the same turn. If that attack hits, the struck foe takes an additional 1d4 damage.

Furthermore, your body can contort and shift itself with a degree of flexibility that strains the notion of what is physically possible. You have advantage on ability checks and saving throws made to escape from grapples and physical restraints. In addition, you can squeeze through openings as though you were half of the size you actually are.

1fp - Eternal Rhythm (Requires Specialized Organs)
    Your body is utterly efficient in its motions, and is capable of resting in a manner reminiscent of some sharks and marine mammals. You automatically succeed on constitution saving throws made to move for long periods of time and can rest while moving. In addition, you can remain partially conscious while sleeping. While in this state you have disadvantage on all ability checks, cannot speak, and are incapacitated, but can still use your movement and vaguely sense your surroundings.

Furthermore, as an action, you can regain all expended uses of the ability granted by the Specialized Organs alteration.

Wings – No change

I also thought of a better way of handling the level 6 bonus damage alterations – specifically the two-weapon fighting aspect. Just don’t let the off-hand weapon get the bonus damage, done. That brings Ozodrin damage more in line with other attack suites. Also tweaking some other things with those.

Spoiler: Neo Deadly/Dire/Energy Gen
    Show

2fp – Deadly Limbs
    You can more skillfully combine shaping and wielding, taking advantage of being able to tweak every twitch from thought to strike for maximum lethality. Your tentacles deal an additional 1d6 damage. This bonus damage does not apply to tentacles wielded as off-hand weapons; when you use two-weapon fighting the extra attack only deals 1d6 (not 2d6).

Furthermore, you can form tentacles that are especially well-suited for crushing foes. Such tentacles may be more defined limbs such as pincers or arms complete with humanoid hands. This allows you to form tentacles that deal bludgeoning damage instead of slashing damage.

Finally, your limbs can wield weapons, and can treat attacks with such weapons as alteration-granted attacks for the purpose of using them with the MultiAssault feature. Such attacks do not count as Tentacle trait alteration-granted attacks, nor any other trait, and thus cannot be used with the Focus Surge feature. This ability does not grant you proficiency with any weapons.

2fp – Energy Generating Flesh
    Choose one of the following damage types when making this alteration: Fire, Cold, Acid, Lighting, Thunder. As a bonus action on your turn you may wreathe yourself in energy; Any creature you successfully shove, grapple, or score a hit against with a melee weapon that's a part of your body (e.g. your slam attack) takes 1d4 damage of the chosen type each time. This effect lasts until the end of your turn. Any creature already touching you (such as a snake constricting you or a foe held in your jaws) when you use this ability takes 2d4 damage of the chosen type.

Furthermore, as an action, you can perform any minor effect small amounts of the chosen energy could accomplish (using your flesh in place of a match or stove, a bag of ice, a small spark, a vial of acid, a tiny whistle, etc).

Finally, as an action, you can change the chosen damage type. Once you’ve changed the damage type in this way you may not do so again until you’ve finished a short or long rest.

2fp – Dire Consumption
    You can more skillfully combine shaping and wielding, taking advantage of being able to tweak every twitch from thought to strike for maximum lethality. Your bite and/or spit attacks deal an additional 1d6 damage. This bonus damage does not apply to bites wielded as off-hand weapons; when you use two-weapon fighting the extra attack only deals 1d6 (not 2d6).

Furthermore, if you have made the Ravenous Maws alteration you may dedicate yourself even more intensely to extracting every bit of vitality from your dining. Whenever you are granted temporary hit points by your Esurient Craze, you may choose to gain an additional amount equal to your proficiency modifier (for a total of 1d4 + twice your proficiency modifier). If you do, all other creatures have advantage on attack rolls made against you until the beginning of your next turn.

Edit: I still haven't made the Fin changes, but I have tweaked several other things. Mostly along the lines of taking the early alterations with more lackluster/niche abilities and adding a second minor ability that is at-will if the original ability was limited in use, or limited in use if the original ability was at-will. Some other tweaks and buffs as well. Although they are different from their suggestions, you can draw a line between some of these changes and the playtest results / critique given by that all-ozodrin group. Do continue to make your voice heard, random person reading this~
    Last edited by Magikeeper; 2021-08-31 at 12:19 PM.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

Though I'm still not confident in judging numbers, I do very much like the idea of the new fin stuff.
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

11. - Top - End - #191

@Qwertystop: I was hoping for your thoughts, and with that the Fin changes have been made! Well, they were made after your response with this post being a few days afterword.. *anyway*

In addition to the Fin overhaul, and some recent puppet changes, the Eye trait was overhauled this morning/last night! Most of the Eye trait has been tweaked to some degree. This was a side effect of trying to make Tier I/II Eye more interesting to play. I had also felt the Tier IV Eye was kind of lackluster and less thematic than some of the other Tier IV traits. I am iffy about the new version of Delving Sight though, as it is very wordy right now and I'm not sure what it does is worth the text wall.

I'm also iffy about the (reworked) "Time" option for Eldritch Sight. It's an extremely niche ability that is generally going to do nothing or provide a fast solution to something that might have been more interesting to figure out the long way. Aside from that, it's mostly just useful for snooping on someone you were afraid to get too close to but the 10 minute limit probably isn't enough for that. But making it longer would dramatically increase its potential to mess up any kind of whodunit type plot. It might help in a chase sequence? Maybe?

Edit: I'm thinking of replacing Time with:
    Spoiler: NeoTimeOption
    Show
    [*]Time. Choose one object, section of wall, corpse, etc, or willing creature you can see within 60' of you that occupies no more than a 100’ cube worth of space. Then choose a period of time, such as “100 years”. You see how the target looked at that period of time. If the target did not exist at the chosen time, you feel a brief sense of pain and the attempt fails. This effect lasts until the end of your next turn.

Spoiler: OLD TIME
    Show
    [*]Time. You gaze up to 10 minutes into the past as if you were standing at your current location at that time, beginning at the most distant point in time you wish to view and perceiving time from that point onward. You remain aware of your surroundings in the present while viewing the past, and can make Wisdom(Perception) checks, but are otherwise Incapacitated for the duration of the effect. If you’ve made the Heightened Senses alteration you can hear the past as well as see it. This effect lasts for 10 minutes or until you choose to end it on your turn.

Neo Time is also super niche but has more random "fun" or at least interesting uses and when it does come up it is unlikely to be automatically resolving a challenge.

Edit: The first version of time originally gave the possibility of seeing much farther into the past (DM discretion) but was kind of clunky and "the DM can use you to exposition dump if they feel like it otherwise this does nothing"-y.
    Last edited by Magikeeper; 2021-09-08 at 12:57 PM.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Pixie in the Playground

This class makes me wish I could find a 5E game to get into (and the time to play).
    I do have a couple of questions, though.
    First of all: what AC does a swallowed creature attack against? RAW would seem to suggest the same AC for people attacking from outside, but how would your scale mail (for example) protect someone's insides? Maybe it could use Unarmored Defense, with the excuse of the ozodrin's stomach being just that eldritch and protean? Also, in the interests of helping Swallow remain relevant at higher levels: does Stomach Realm permit the ozodrin to form natural weapons internally to deal extra damage? This could possibly be another Advanced Alteration, so those dedicated to using Swallow as a combat strategy would be investing more into boosting its effectiveness.
    Also: Many of the base alterations permit the creation of additional body parts but no limit is mentioned. This probably matters most for puppet, which (rules as written) permits infinite Toy puppets capable of carrying 1 pound each. Presumably the DM'd veto carrying off the entire dungeon this way, but where's the cutoff point?

13. - Top - End - #193
    Halfling in the Playground

Building a level 16 ozodrin for a Halloween one-shot and noticed something. Tier 4 orifice ability Gluttonous Rift allows you to potentially swallow gargantuan targets, but it technically doesn't increase the size of your stomach to hold them. The original swallow allows for two large sized, so I'm assuming this would become 2 gargantuan. Perhaps add in the following in between the first and second sentence of the ability description of Gluttonous Rift. "Your stomach can now hold up to two Gargantuan creatures, with smaller creatures counting as ½ the next highest level (i.e., your stomach can hold 4 huge creature, 8 large creatures, 16 medium creatures, 32 small creatures, or 64 tiny creatures)."
    One edition to find them all, and in the basement bind them.

14. - Top - End - #194

Responses!

@ Swallow AC: A good question! I suppose I'll be needing to make the swallow description even longer to specify. Hrm.. how to best handle this.. having it not include worn armor creates the situation where someone wearing armor would.. have a lower stomach AC than someone not wearing armor (and thus benefiting from unarmored defense??)? That doesn't make sense either. I'll think about it this weekend.

@ Internal weapons: I've assumed yes, since it's a part of your body, but perhaps it should be more directly specified..?

@ Body Part limit: Given how 5E abstracts the taking of actions having it be arbitrarily large isn't a big deal... except for toy puppet. I'll tweak toy puppet this weekend to stop it from increasing your carrying capacity. Otherwise unlimited as there isn't a mechanical benefit for having every strand of hair be a separate tentacle and the like.

@ Stomach Size: I'll figure something out this weekend. IIRC it used to be 1x of the largest thing you could swallow but got changed to specifying 2x large (i.e., 1x Huge). In the meantime, assume you can hold a gargantuan creature in your stomach should it come up.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Pixie in the Playground

Hello, I know you were working out some kinks on the orifice and puppet traits recently, but did you see an end in sight as far as major edits to class features go? I know that as far back as May last year you were considering some version of the pdf.

Spoiler: Old Comment
    Show

The other two/three things I want to do are:

> Greatly revamp the puppet trait. Right now puppet is.. rough... and not all that great as a primary. It has some things going for it but aside from novelty I don't see people choosing it as a primary more than once if at that. It's not all that exciting at low levels. I have no playtest data for puppet primaries, because that's how unpopular it is. Also the Tier IV ability True Spawn, although very cool, causes setting issues (As it allows for a single ozodrin to eventually spawn an entire - albeit no that strong and infertile - race by itself. It'd take a long time, but high level Ozodrin don't die of old age soooo....). I feel that might stop the class from getting into games.
    ^This is actually almost done, I have a re-write of the entire trait ready to go, I suppose I could do the swap this weekend.

> Do something with the tier IV fin alteration "Grand Charge" - It's also cool, but under very specific conditions that are unlikely to ever come up in a game it allow an ozodrin to slaughter thousands in one round. It's not really a big deal - you'd need the enemy to line up an entire army just right and if you pull that off you've practically earned the charge - but I fear the possibility of it also hindering game acceptance.

> I have also been very seriously considering moving "unarmored defense" to level 2 as the current Ozodrin is a super-strong 1-level dip but a fairly reasonable 2-level dip. I'm not sure this is the change I want to make, but the sheer power of a 1-level dip concerns me even with the con/cha 13 restriction.

IIRC I had some other tiny tweaks as well but most of those were clarifying how abilities worked and such.

After that I should start posting it more places, I agree. The art just isn't going to be available anytime soon and I should just accept that.

I think you've done a lot of what you said you still had to do at the time, commendations for that by the way, so if a PDF version is on the horizon I'd be really excited to hear it.

16. - Top - End - #196

I still need to get to the puppet/orifice stuff.

That said, it is unlikely that I'll have the time to properly get into the Ozodrin updating mindset until late this month or sometime next month. I'll answer the "how much longer until it is PDF time?!" once I've properly gone over the class again.

Edit: Some tweaks made. More probably.. in a week or two.
    Edit: Or the next day, sure. More tweaks likely to come.
    Last edited by Magikeeper; 2022-02-01 at 11:48 PM.

17. - Top - End - #197

So! I've been making some more tweaks recently. Of the issues others brought up in the comments above, I believe the pdf and doing >something< with the fluff of Abstract Flesh's symbol are the only things left.

If anyone has more playtest information to share, comments, etc, please do so~

Edit: Some recent changes (updated less frequently than the update log):
    Spoiler: Some recent changes
    Show

[1/28/2022]
    FIN - Nerfed Whirling Fins (Bonus damage is now conditional)
    PUPPET - Toy Puppet Carrying Capacity Exploit Fixed.
    STOMACH - Stomach has an AC total now, and specifies your other alterations can affect it.

[1/30/2022]
    TENTACLE - Coiling Tentacle grapple now takes a reaction.
    STOMACH - Digestive Rift can disrupt teleports, Swallow nerfed to trigger con save at 15->10 damage, Glutenous Rift doubles stomach size / stomach realm size.

[2/1/2022]
    STOMACH - Refined Palate reworked to be less INT-dependent.
    - Windswept Maw's Exhale has been changed (again) to be less complicated.

[2/3/2022]
    Spike - Replaced Flickering Spikes with the stronger Distorted Implements. The advantage on melee attacks was lost in exchange for a few passive benefits and an increase to 3 uses of the bonus action instead of 2.

[2/6/2022]
    Spike - Increased Bone Hedge damage to 3d8.
    - Added a longevity extension to Carved Spikes and added a few more example creations. 1hr->4hr is a pretty big deal, imo.
    EYE - Focal reduced to 1fp.

[2/9/2022]
    EYE - Daunting's Despair option also gives advantage to Insight(Wisdom) now.
    MAIN CLASS - Removed "Survival" from skills, added "Sleight of Hand" and "Performance". What Survival does in 5e doesn't have much of a thematic tie to Ozodrin.

[2/10/2022]
    FLESH - Blending Flesh replaced with Discrete Flesh, because I finally did a careful read-through of the Hiding rules for 5E. The old wording didn't even make sense in 5E terminology! How did that survive as one of the longest never-changed alterations?! It's because Primary(Flesh) was unpopular for many years and this is a Tier III alteration whose intent could be easily grasped, isn't it...? >.>
    - Magic Consuming Flesh -> Unearthly Flesh. Now includes "evasion for Con saves" on top of the limited spell eating.

Eh, I didn't note it anywhere but "do something with Blending Flesh" has been on my mental checklist for quite some time so I guess it wasn't really getting a bye.
    Last edited by Magikeeper; 2022-02-10 at 07:57 PM.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Ooh, very fun, very cool! Glad to see this still being combed through and fiddled with!

19. - Top - End - #199

Thanks!

------

I've noticed most of the spell/martial/etc systems have an "Initiate"-type feat

I had discarded the notion before, as it's hard to give limited access to Ozodrin abilities, but I think I got one:

Spoiler: Protean Initiate
    Show
    Protean Initiate
    Choose one of the Traits of the ozodrin class (Tentacle, Flesh, Spike, Eye, Orifice, Fin, or Puppet). You gain access to the base alteration of that Trait, and can freely use it as a bonus action on your turn.

Furthermore, choose two Tier I advanced alterations of your selected Trait that do not have any prerequisites. As an action, you can gain the benefits of one of the chosen advanced alterations for 10 minutes. After using this ability, you must finish a long rest before using another action this way.

----

I'm likely going to change Base Alterations such that they can only be altered as a bonus action. The situations where you would want to alter them as an action are fairly niche, I think? Has this actually come up in anyone's game?

----

I am also considering swapping the levels of Worldly Guise and Focus Surge (lv3 and lv2).

----

I've also noticed that WotC has moved away from having any new abilities be based on short rests for some time now. The thought that WotC is going to remove short rests in the 2024 PHB has some merit. :/
    Last edited by Magikeeper; 2022-02-22 at 01:04 AM.

20. - Top - End - #200

Given the likeyhood of WotC changing short rests somehow in 2024, I've started looking into how to minimize the Ozodrin's usage of them. In some cases (Focus Surge) I'm not going to change anything until I see exactly what WotC is planning there.

The main limiter, though, is Malleable Form. Without MF there's nothing in the core class that forces the Ozodrin alterations to stick to short rest mechanics. I also compiled a list of all alterations with short rest recharges.. it's not a large list. Eye and Spike are mostly the only issues. Anyway, idea for replacing Malleable Form.

New lvl9 idea:
    Spoiler: Overwrought Form
    Show

Overwrought Form
    At 9th level, you become capable of warping your body beyond its limits, for a time. Upon gaining this ability, choose 3fp worth of Tier I advanced alterations you have access to. You can remake this choice whenever you reach a level in this class that grants the Ability Score Improvement feature, and starting at 12th level you can also choose Tier II alterations from your Primary and/or Secondary traits when you do so.

You can meditate for one minute in order to gain the benefits of one or more of these chosen alterations for one hour without using any form points. For each chosen alteration, you only gain its benefits if you both meet its prerequisites and have not already added it to your current form. In addition, if the alteration has a usage limit, the limit is reduced to a single use (e.g. “twice per long rest” → “once per long rest”) when you gain its benefits in this way. Once you use this feature you must complete a long rest before doing so again.

Old:
    Spoiler: Malleable Form
    Show
    Starting at 9th level, you may redistribute up to 5 of your form points when you finish a short rest. Once you’ve redistributed a total of 5 form points this way, over one or more short rests, you must finish a long rest before doing so again.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Magikeeper; 2022-03-06 at 01:31 AM.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Seems more interesting; I like "temporary capbreaker" more than "limited early respec".
    My Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #202

Went with overwrought form.

----

I am considering changing the Form Point progression:
    - 1fp at level 1
    - Everything else is the same (3fp at level 2, 4 at 3rd, etc)

Every trait has at least 2 1fp alterations. I feel this would bring Ozodrin level 1 more in line with the first level of other classes. In fact, I think I'll just do that now..

EDIT: As that change made lvl 1 kind of miserable for some traits, changed it back to 2fp at level 1 and moved choosing secondary traits to level 2. It makes the rules text a bit clunky but reduces the amount of 'stuff' level 1 Ozodrin get without nuking their combat ability.
    Last edited by Magikeeper; 2022-03-24 at 10:40 AM.

23. - Top - End - #203

SPIKE OVERHAUL

I combined Carved Spikes with Clashing spikes, moved a new version of Poisonous Spikes to Tier 1, added Noxious Spikes to T2 and reworked Deleterious Existence. I also moved the 4hr duration to the base alteration.

The end result, I believe is:
    - Level 1->5 Spike is more interesting in combat. Deciding what alterations to make is also more difficult (well, especially since you can't grab everything at level 5 anymore). Low level spike has to actually make difficult choices now.
    - The poison mechanics in general are more interesting, and you can finally make a toxic cloud even if it isn't very strong (so as to avoid needing to add a save to it).
    - Clashing Spikes Bone Implements feels more like a significant choice.
    - The fluff is tighter.

The major downside is that the most dip-able alteration spike had, carved spikes, now comes packaged with two other spike types (Goring/Quills) that some of the other traits likely have little or no use for.

On the other hand, the new poison is 1fp and very dip-able now. Which.. might not be a good thing either.. I have some concerns about the "Addled" option. The at-will ability disadvantage, while good, is likely fine. Hex already gives that, although it can't keep switching the chosen ability it's rare that you'd want to do so anyhow (at least when it is tied to hitting with an attack like the poison is).

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Magikeeper; 2022-03-31 at 10:30 PM.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Pixie in the Playground

I quite enjoy the changes to spike. Folding carved spikes in with a few other abilities helps me better parse the list of spike alterations, and having the option to use an actually decent poison ability is rather novel in 5e as far as I am aware. Even if it is a little too powerful, it’s filling a niche that is neglected enough that I don’t really mind. Poison is also rather notorious in 5e for being underpowered, with way too many monsters immune to poison damage and the poisoned condition, so allowing it to be powerful allows the times when it does work to shine and makes up a bit for the many times it just won’t work.

25. - Top - End - #205

Well, it's good that it is liked!

On the power though, it's less "I see a way that this is unbalanced" and more "Addled in particular, while simple, is so unusual that I'm wondering if there is a way to abuse it I haven't thought of". There are cantrips that reduce movement speed on a hit, most forms of enemy self-heal have a way to halt it for a round (and +2 dmg is fine). If anything it's currently a collection of individually niche effects. It's possible the differences from Hex results in the at-will ability check debuff being used in a larger variety of ways, but that's still rather niche - the main use would just be helping allies grapple/shove and maybe stop illusions from being discovered. Even then, it competes for the bonus action slot so even multiclass builds would get limited use from the at-will effect.
    Last edited by Magikeeper; 2022-04-01 at 08:15 PM.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Pixie in the Playground

Will this thread be receiving any more updates soon? I understand if the answer is no, it’s been a difficult time recently and I can understand having other priorities. I wish OP and everyone else who might read well.

27. - Top - End - #207

I am considering updating the Ozodrin for D&D 5.5e/ 6e / "One D&D", and having that be the PDF.

Then again, I should perhaps make a new thread for the D&D 6 version?

... oh the previous comment was made in August. Well, that continues the trend of people posting in this thread as soon as I stop checking for awhile. >.>

------

As for other updates... I'll go over it again but I don't recall there being anything besides needing to organize it into a PDF. Of course, I will almost surely find some things to tweak/refine in the process of doing that. If anyone has playtest feedback they'd like to share, by all means do so.
    Last edited by Magikeeper; 2022-10-31 at 06:01 PM.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Pixie in the Playground

I am considering updating the Ozodrin for D&D 5.5e/ 6e / "One D&D", and having that be the PDF.

Then again, I should perhaps make a new thread for the D&D 6 version?
    Has the OGL drama changed your plans at all? Are you still going to continue, and will you still be working on a One D&D version? I’d still enjoy having a pdf version of the ozodrin despite everything going on with WoTC, but would understand if things had been a bit soured for you. I wish you well muddling through our weird wide world.

29. - Top - End - #209

Quote Originally Posted by sallyisgreat View Post
    Has the OGL drama changed your plans at all? Are you still going to continue, and will you still be working on a One D&D version? I’d still enjoy having a pdf version of the ozodrin despite everything going on with WoTC, but would understand if things had been a bit soured for you. I wish you well muddling through our weird wide world.
    First off, how did I not see this for two days? I have been tweaking some stuff / actively checking this thread the past couple... ah, I see, you slipped in right after a check. Figures. :P

OGL drama hasn't changed anything currently, given the rollback.

---

Currently I'm dealing with what may be the main hurdle for a One D&D version - the split between Warrior/Mage/Priest/Expert. Most Ozodrin fit Warrior, but then you have Eye/Puppet and a few other builds that are iffy.

Puppet: If I changed Parasite to being a dex-based saving throw (for attaching, still Cha for charm) that would help... but its still iffy, I think? Puppet really needs a way to attack in the event its the party's only frontliner and didn't grab tentacle as a secondary, but that's hard to fit in. Could rework puppet self some more, I guess.

Eye: Might need to be overhauled to fit that box, tbh. Has anyone played an Eye-Primary Ozodrin in an extended campaign? I feel like it is the least popular/playtested trait (as a primary, at least). Been working on Eye recently as it is, although those changes were for other reasons. I like the new middle option for Framing Gaze although the name "Duplicate Motion" could use some work...

On another note, I made a few eye changes recently. I also very recently made a puppet change I'm more iffy on:

Spoiler
    Show
    I changed Puppet Self to replace the +5 max hp with something that would still help with surviving but would scale better while being less powerful at level 1 (bonus action, sac any amount of non-temp HP to gain twice as much temp HP until start of next turn).
    Last edited by Magikeeper; 2023-02-12 at 03:07 AM.

30. - Top - End - #210

About to make a massive overhaul of the Eye trait.

Changes:
    - All the clarity stuff is gone, with the involved alterations re-worked. Especially the mind effecting ones.
    - Eye is now more a little more warrior-y (mostly due to tweaks to T1 alterations). At least once I change Ozodrin to having prof in all simple weapons.
    - I didn't have any place to put the sound-sight so that's gone too, alas.
    - Telepathy is now T2.

Spoiler: NEW EYE
    Show
    Tier I Advanced Alterations:

1fp – Rattling Eyes
    You can, as an action, magically do one of the following:
    • Splintering Glare. One of your eyes unleashes a ray with the appearance of warped, shimmering air. Make a ranged spell attack roll (Proficiency Bonus + Charisma modifier) against a creature within 60’. On a hit, it takes 1d8 + your charisma modifier Psychic damage as a cracking pain rattles its mind. You may choose for this effect to be non-lethal. If you do, any creature that would be killed by this attack is instead rendered unconscious and stable at 0hp instead.
    • Screaming Glare. - You can attempt to rely on your eyes' disruptive emanations in place of might or nimbleness to land a blow. Choose a melee weapon that you are both wielding and proficient with, such as a sword or tentacle. You can then make a melee attack with that weapon against a creature, using Charisma instead of Strength for the attack roll. If you're using a finesse weapon, you may also use Charisma instead of Strength for the damage roll.
    • Disorienting Glare. Choose a creature you can see within 60' of you. The targeted foe is disoriented until the beginning of your next turn. While disoriented, it has disadvantage on the first attack roll it makes during its turn. In addition, it has disadvantage on any opportunity attack rolls and Dexterity ability checks it makes.

1fp – Focal Eyes
    Your Eye trait alteration-granted abilities that would normally have a range of 60' have a range of 120' instead.

Furthermore, as an action you may focus your vision in one of the following ways:
    • Telescopic. You can determine the fine details of any creatures and/or objects you can see, regardless of distance, until the beginning of your next turn.
    • Magnifying. You have advantage on ability checks made to inspect or appraise items that are small or highly detailed until the beginning of your next turn.
    • Brushing. Your eyes magically take in, modify, and project back out light in order to paint up to 5 square feet of any unattended surface you can see within 120'. This paint, formed from light, lasts up to four hours before fading away (duration chosen when you use this ability). If you are in bright light the paint can be any color(s), otherwise the paint must be greyscale.

1fp – Cerebral Vault
    You can recall, with perfect accuracy, anything you have seen within the last hour. In addition, as an action you may reach further back into your memories, recalling a specific piece of visual information with perfect accuracy regardless of the amount of time that has passed (you must, however, already know what you're trying to recall).

Furthermore, you gain a limited ability to interact with the memories of others, as well. When a creature dies or falls unconscious within 60’ of you, or when a willing creature allows you to do so, you may use your reaction to acquire its last 10 minute’s worth of visual memories.

Finally, as bonus action on your turn, you may telepathically share your visual memories, including what you are currently looking at and any acquired memories, with one or more creatures you can see within 60’.

2fp - Blurring Eyes (Requires Cerebral Vault)
    Your eyes become even more keenly adapted to magically entwining your existence with that of others. You may, as a bonus action on your turn, choose a willing creature you can see within 60’. Until the beginning of your next turn, you may use your reaction to do any combination of the following, space rippling as a faint echo of your eye(s) overlap the target:
    • Until the end of the current turn, you can see from the target’s location in all directions as though you were there yourself. You may also share your vision with the target.
    • Until the end of the current turn, you and the chosen target gain resistance to all damage. While under this effect, when one of you takes damage the other takes the same amount with one difference. This difference is that the damage dealt to the second creature ignores temporary hit points.

Furthermore, you may, as a bonus action on your turn, choose a creature you can see within 60' of you. If the creature is unwilling, it must make a Constitution saving throw. On a success, this effect does nothing. Otherwise, you and the chosen target swap locations. If either of you are restrained, grappled, and/or if there isn't enough space for the swap (e.g. you attempt to swap places with a dragon while hiding in a little hole) this teleportation effect does nothing.
    Once you attempt to swap locations three times, you must finish a short or long rest before doing so again.

2fp – Heightened Senses
    Your enhanced capability to handle sensory information grants you proficiency in the Perception skill. If you’re already proficient in it, your proficiency bonus is doubled for any check you make with it. This doubling does not stack with Expertise.

Furthermore, you can use the base alteration of the Eye trait to form eyes capable of sensing both light and sound. This allows you to use the bonus action granted by the base alteration of the Eye feature to make both visual and auditory Wisdom(Perception) checks.

Finally, you may, as an action, analyze a target you can see within 60’. You have advantage on the next attack roll you make against that target before the end of your next turn. If the attack successfully damages the target, it deals an additional 2d4 damage.

Tier II Advanced Alterations:

2fp – Hungry Eyes (Requires Rattling Eyes)
    Your Splintering Glare deals an additional 1d6 damage.

Furthermore, whenever you use your Splintering Glare, you may choose to have it rend the physical existence of a target instead of its mind. If you do, it deals Force damage instead of Psychic damage and cannot be non-lethal. In addition, you draw sustenance from your foes, their dissolved essence instantly sucked through the ray of warped air like it were a straw. Every 10 points of Force damage dealt by your Splintering Glare in a single attack gives you a day's worth of nourishment.

Finally, when you score a hit with your Screaming Glare on your turn, you may use a bonus action to deal an additional 1d4 Psychic damage to the struck foe.

1fp – Eldritch Perception (requires Heightened Senses)
    You may, as an action, visually focus on a single creature or object you can see within 60’ of you to determine whether it bears magic or not. This effect does not reveal the school of magic, only whether or not magic is present. Any opaque barrier blocks this ability.

Furthermore, you may, as a bonus action on your turn, magically extend your sight in one of the following ways:
    • Space. Choose one creature, object, section of wall, etc you can see within 60' of you that occupies no more than a 5’ cube worth of space. Until the beginning or your next turn, you can see past the chosen target as though it did not exist. For example, you could target a small dresser to see all of its contents without opening it.
    • Time. Choose one object, section of wall, corpse, etc, or willing creature you can see within 60' of you that occupies no more than a 100’ cube worth of space. Then choose a period of time, such as “100 years”. You see how the target looked that far in the past. If the target did not exist at the chosen time, you feel a brief sense of pain and the attempt fails. This effect lasts until the beginning of your next turn.
    • Layer. Until the beginning of your next turn, you can see up to 60' into the Ethereal Plane. Within this range you can also see invisible creatures and objects as though they were visible.

All of these uses count as divination effects, their benefits relying on shifting and interpreting the flow of magic that suffuses the multiverse. Once you have used three bonus actions to extend your vision in this way, you must finish a short or long rest before doing so again.

2fp - Daunting Glare
    You gain proficiency in the Intimidation skill. If you’re already proficient in it, your proficiency bonus is doubled for any check you make with it. This doubling does not stack with Expertise.

Furthermore, as an action you can force a creature within 60’ you can see, that is not immune to the Frightened condition, to make a Wisdom saving throw. Each creature can only be targeted by this ability once per turn. On a failure, you magically impose one of the following effects:
    • Scram. The creature has disadvantage on all attack rolls it makes against you. If it moves towards you, each 1ft it moves takes 2ft of movement. This effect lasts until the beginning of your next turn.
    • Engage. The creature gains disadvantage on all attack rolls it makes against creatures other than you. In addition, if the creature moves away from you each 1ft it moves takes 2ft of movement. These effects lasts until the beginning of your next turn.
    • Despair. The creature has disadvantage on all ability checks. This effect lasts until the end of your next turn. In addition, the first attack roll made against the targeted creature before this effect ends has advantage.

2fp – Murmuring Gaze (Requires Cerebral Vault)
    The abilities granted by your Cerebral Vault alteration now include all sensory information (sounds, smells, etc).

Furthermore, you may telepathically communicate with any creature that you can see, regardless of distance. If you do not share a language with the creature you can still communicate using simple concepts, emotions, and images.

Finally, as an action you can attempt to magically slip an illusionary thought into a creature’s mind. Choose a creature you can see within 60’. The chosen target must make an Intelligence saving throw. On a success, the target passively resists this effect without notice and becomes immune to further attempts for 24 hours. Otherwise, the target experiences an illusionary thought and/or gut instinct of your choice, such as “something is watching me” or “That pie would taste real good right now”, that sounds as if they had thought or felt it themselves. Especially absurd notions, out-of-character thoughts, and any thought related to a secret the target is keeping are still rejected outright, causing the effect to end. If the thought doesn’t concern a secret, and is at least somewhat plausible, it lingers like a song stuck in the target’s head until they finish a short rest or perform an action that should make it stop (Such as eating that pie). The target is NOT compelled to obey this thought, and simply reacts to it as they would any other nagging thought. You only know whether or not the thought lingered.
    Once you attempt to insert an illusionary thought three times you must finish a short or long rest before doing so again.

Tier III Advanced Alterations:

2fp – Vehement Eyes
    Whenever you deal Psychic damage to a creature you can see within 60’ you may use your reaction to intensify the effect, dealing it an additional 1d4 Psychic damage and giving it disadvantage on Intelligence and Wisdom-based ability checks until the beginning of your next turn.

Furthermore, whenever you deal Force damage to a creature you can see within 60’ you may use your reaction to intensify the effect, dealing it an additional 2d4 Force damage.

Finally, you may, as a bonus action on your turn, gain an additional reaction that lasts until the beginning of your next turn. This additional reaction cannot be used the same turn you use any other reaction, and can only be used to make attacks of opportunity and use Eye trait reaction-based abilities.

2fp - Nous Sight
    You gain 20 feet of blindsight. This blindsight works via your eyes emitting subtle pulses of non-visible psychic energy and then interpreting the echo. Your blindsight can also differentiate between nonthinking objects, emotionless but thinking entities, and emotional entities. In addition, you can roughly sense the mood of emotional beings. If a thinking being is actively trying to conceal itself and/or hide their real emotional state within the range of your blindsight you must beat their Stealth and/or Deception check as normal but you have advantage on your Perception and/or Insight check to do so.

Furthermore, your blindsight can sense telepathic links and telepathic auras, along with the emotions of the ones currently communicating through it. You cannot otherwise sense the contents of the messages.

1fp – Encroaching Gaze (Requires Murmuring Gaze)
    Your ability to acquire memories now acquires the prior 24 hours instead of just 10 minutes.

Furthermore, as an action, you may magically connect your mind to that of a chosen creature you can see within 300’. If the target not both aware of this effect and willing, they must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a Success, this effect fails, you take 5d6 Psychic damage, and the creature becomes aware that something attempted to infiltrate its mind. Otherwise, you can telepathically communicate with the target across any distance and share its senses. You can choose to leave an unaware target unaware of the link, but if you do it becomes unstable. An unstable link ends the moment the target would actively wish to conceal what it is sensing and/or doing from others. All links otherwise last until you take any kind of damage, finish a short or long rest, 24 hours have passed, or you use an action to end the effect, whichever comes first. You can have up to 8 links at the same time.

Finally, when you use an action to end a link made with a target that is still unaware it, you may modify any memories the target formed while the link persisted. For example, if the link lasted an hour you could alter the memory, erase it, allow it be recalled with perfect detail, or replace it with up to an hour of something else entirely. The target fills in the blanks themselves without you needing to explain every detail. That said, if a falsified event is nonsensical, feels too out of character, etc., the target may reject it entirely and simply have no memory of the altered period of time. A Remove Curse or Greater Restoration spell cast on the target breaks the link (if it still exists) and restores any altered memories.

1fp – Decentralized Perception
    You can, as an action, visually sense the surroundings of any part of your body (cut hair, severed limb, etc) within 1000 feet of you as though you were there. You cannot see through objects (e.g., if a bit of your hair is in a box you can only see the insides of the box). If you have made the Heightened Senses alteration this sense also includes hearing.

If you have the Decentralized Existence feature, this ability can instead be used across any distance. If you have the Reified Image feature, anything that counts as a part of your body for it also counts as a part of your body for this alteration.

Tier IV Alterations

2fp – Unbound Perception (Requires Decentralized Perception)
    Your senses extend beyond your current existence; you cannot be surprised. Furthermore, whenever you make an attack roll, ability check, or saving throw, or whenever an opponent makes an attack roll against you, you may use your reaction to roll an additional d20. You may choose to use this roll instead of the one that would normally be used for the attack roll, ability check, or saving throw. You can use this ability after the original roll, but before the outcome is revealed.

If you use this ability on a roll that an opponent is using the Lucky feat to manipulate, the two abilities cancel each other out, resulting in no additional dice as the inexplicable luck unravels and is unraveled by a deeper insight.

1fp – Piercing Vision (Requires Eldritch Perception)
    When you attempt to see through an illusion, you can use Wisdom(Perception) instead of Intelligence(Investigation). In addition, you may count doing so as an Eye-trait granted ability for the MultiAssault and Focus Surge features.

Furthermore, as an action you can make a Wisdom(Perception) check opposed by the Charisma(Deception) check of a creature you can see. If you succeed, you determine whether or not the creature is in its true form (but not what that form is). If you fail, you sense that your attempt was inconclusive and cannot reattempt the check against that creature until you finish a short or long rest.

Finally, you may use the bonus action granted by your Eldritch Perception alteration any number of times without needing to finish a short or long rest.

1fp – Curator’s Vision (Require Blurring Eyes)
    As action, you can choose yourself, another creature, or an unattended object you can see within 60’. Each creature or object can only be targeted by this ability once per turn. An unwilling creature must make a Charisma saving throw. On a success, this effect does nothing. Otherwise, you magically impose one of the following effects:
    • Reject. You partially remove a target from your sight - and existence itself. The target becomes partially intangible until the end of your next turn. While in this state, the target has resistance to all forms of damage, their weight is reduced to 1/100th of what it would normally be, and all damage they deal to other creatures and/or objects is halved (this does not stack with resistance).
    • Accept. You intensify the existence of the chosen target, causing it to become hyper-real and impossibly vivid. Until the beginning of your next turn, the chosen target’s weight and carrying capacity (if any) are multiplied by 10, it has advantage on all saving throws if it is a creature, and it is immune to any new effect that would transform it (like a Polymorph or Flesh to Stone spell). Furthermore, any transformative effect already on the target (such as an already cast Polymorph) that would end before the beginning of your next turn lasts until the beginning of your next turn instead, at which point it immediately ends as normal.

Once you use this ability on two non-object targets, you must finish a short or long rest before using it on a non-object target again.

1fp – History Defining Eyes (Requires Encroaching Gaze)
    You can, as a bonus action on your turn, choose a willing creature you can see within 60’. Until the beginning of your next turn, you can automatically tell whether or not the creature is telling you the truth. This reveals both the truth of words, and the truth of visual indicators such as body language.

Furthermore, your ability to acquire memories, when used on a creature that has fallen unconscious due to hit point damage within 60’ of you, can also attempt to more forcefully interact with the target’s mind. The target must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a success, this effect does nothing and the target becomes immune to this effect for one week. Otherwise, you may do one of the following:
    • Declare. Pick any statement and insert it into the target’s mind. The target’s memories will then revise themselves to be consistent with both the fact itself and how they know about it. For example, if you declared you were the target’s parent then they will remember finding out they were adopted. Each time the target encounters a situation that conflicts with their revised memories they can attempt another Wisdom saving throw. On a success, their former memories are restored. A Remove Curse or Greater Restoration spell cast on the target restores their former memories. There is no limit on how far back the altered memories can be, but you do not learn what alterations were made to memories farther back than 24 hours. You do, however, learn any recent revisions in addition to the original memories within the usual 24 hour period.
    • Reveal. Pick any question that can be given Yes/No/Unsure answer. You learn the truthful answer to that question from the target’s perspective. If the target would consider the one-word answer misleading, the answer also includes a short explanation to resolve the issue.

Once you have attempted to more forcefully interact with two minds this way, you must finish a short or long rest before doing so again.

Old version:
    Spoiler: OLD EYE
    Show
    Tier I Advanced Alterations:

1fp – Clear Reception
    You gain a clarity usage pool that consists of 3 motes of clarity. You regain all expended motes of clarity when you finish a short or long rest. As a reaction, you may spend 1 mote of clarity to gain advantage on an initiative check, or spend 2 motes of clarity to gain advantage on an attack roll or a Wisdom(Perception) check.

Furthermore, you can enter a state in which you continuously take in your surroundings and magically force yourself out of the way of danger. When you benefit from the Unarmored Defense feature, you may, as an action, have your armor class become 10 + your Wisdom modifier + your Charisma Modifier instead of the usual benefit of your Unarmored Defense feature. This effect lasts until you would no longer benefit from the Unarmored Defense feature, complete a short or long rest, or use an action to end the effect.

1fp – Ferocious Glares
    You can, as an action, do either of the following:
    • Splintering Glare. One of your eyes unleashes a magical ray with the appearance of warped, shimmering air. Make a ranged spell attack roll (Proficiency Bonus + Charisma modifier) against a creature within 60’. On a hit, it takes 1d8 + your charisma modifier Psychic damage as a cracking pain rattles its mind. You may choose for this effect to be non-lethal. If you do, any creature that would be killed by this attack is instead rendered unconscious and stable at 0hp instead.
    • Disorienting Glare. Choose a creature you can see within 60' of you. The targeted foe is magically disoriented until the beginning of your next turn. While disoriented, it has disadvantage on the first attack roll it makes during its turn. In addition, it has disadvantage on any opportunity attack rolls and Dexterity ability checks it makes.

1fp – Focal Eyes
    Your Eye trait alteration-granted abilities that would normally have a range of 60' have a range of 120' instead.

Furthermore, as an action you may focus your vision in one of the following ways:
    • Telescopic. You can determine the fine details of any creatures and/or objects you can see, regardless of distance, until the beginning of your next turn.
    • Magnifying. You have advantage on ability checks made to inspect or appraise items that are small or highly detailed until the beginning of your next turn.
    • Recycling. Your eyes magically take in, modify, and project back out light in order to create a 2-dimensional image on any unattended surface you can see within 120'. Using this ability is similar to painting the surface, albeit with light instead of physical paint. The painting must fit within a 5' radius circle. The painting instantly vanishes if you are no longer within sight of it. Otherwise, the painting fades at beginning of your next turn unless you use another action to maintain it. If you are in bright light the painting can be in color, otherwise the painting must be greyscale.

2fp – Framing Gaze (Requires Clear Reception)
    You can recall, with perfect accuracy, anything you have seen within the last hour. In addition, as an action you may reach further back into your memories, recalling a specific piece of visual information with perfect accuracy regardless of the amount of time that has passed (you must, however, already know what you're trying to recall).

Furthermore, by spending a mote of clarity as an action, you can choose yourself or another creature you can see within 60’ of you. If the creature is unwilling, it can make a Constitution saving throw. On a success, this effect does nothing. Otherwise, until the beginning of your next turn, you may use your reaction(s) to magically do one of the following:
    • Restore Position. At the end of the current turn, the target is teleported to where it was at the start of the current turn. For example, if it was the target's turn and it moved 30’ it would return to where it was before it used its movement. This effect works across any distance, even across planes, but fails if the return destination is currently occupied.
    • Duplicate Pattern. At the end of the current turn, choose one non-spell melee attack, ranged attack, or ability check the target performed during that turn. If the chosen attack/check has any kind of per-rest or daily limit (e.g. smite, ki points, 1/day, etc.) this effect does nothing. Otherwise, a mirror image of the target appears at the location of your choice within 60' and repeats the chosen attack/check before fading away. For example, if the target made two claw attacks that turn you could have the mirror image make a single claw attack against any target within 60' (including itself). The image benefits from any ongoing effects on the copied target (bless, rage, etc), even if the effects themselves would not qualify for this ability.
    • Portrait Swap. At the end of the current turn, if you or the target took any damage during that turn, you may transfer up to 2d8 + your Charisma modifier points of that damage to yourself or the target. You can choose to transfer less than the result of the roll. This damage cannot be reduced or prevented, and bypasses temporary hit points. If both you and the target could fit in each other's space, you may choose to also swap locations with the target.

Finally, the size of your clarity usage pool is increased by 1.

2fp – Heightened Senses
    Your enhanced capability to handle sensory information grants you proficiency in the Perception skill. If you’re already proficient in it, your proficiency bonus is doubled for any check you make with it. This doubling does not stack with Expertise.

Furthermore, you can use the base alteration of the Eye trait to form eyes capable of both hearing and vision. This allows you to use the bonus action granted by the base alteration of the Eye feature to make both vision and hearing-based Wisdom(Perception) checks.

Finally, you can, as an action or reaction, alter your vision to perceive sound as light. From your perspective, a shouting human casts bright light in a 30-foot radius and dim light for an additional 30 feet, while a softly talking human would only shed dim light in a 5-foot radius. The faint glow of even more subtle noises may be visible in dark, quiet environments. This allows you to see in dark but noisy areas, even in magical darkness, and quickly locate the sources of loud noises as though they were flashing lights. This effect lasts until you dismiss it as a part of any action on your turn.

Tier II Advanced Alterations:

2fp - Consuming Glare (Requires Ferocious Glares)
    Your Splintering Glare deals an additional 1d6 damage.

Furthermore, whenever you use your Splintering Glare, you may choose to have it rend the physical existence of a target instead of its mind. If you do, it deals Force damage instead of Psychic damage and cannot be non-lethal. Furthermore, you draw sustenance from your foes, their dissolved essence instantly sucked through the ray of warped air like it were a straw. Every 10 points of Force damage dealt by your Splintering Glare in a single attack gives you a day's worth of nourishment.

1fp – Eldritch Perception (Requires Clear Reception)
    You may, as an action, visually focus on a single creature or object you can see within 60’ of you to determine whether it bears magic or not. This effect does not reveal the school of magic, only whether or not magic is present. Any opaque barrier blocks this ability. This action does not expend clarity.

Furthermore, you may, as an action, expend a mote of clarity to magically extend your sight in one of the following ways:
    • Space. Choose one creature, object, section of wall, etc you can see within 60' of you that occupies no more than a 5’ cube worth of space. Until the end of your next turn, you can see past the chosen target as though it did not exist. For example, you could target a small dresser to see all of its contents without opening it.
    • Time. Choose one object, section of wall, corpse, etc, or willing creature you can see within 60' of you that occupies no more than a 100’ cube worth of space. Then choose a period of time, such as “100 years”. You see how the target looked that far in the past. If the target did not exist at the chosen time, you feel a brief sense of pain and the attempt fails. This effect lasts until the end of your next turn.
    • Layer. Until the end of your next turn, you can see up to 60' into the Ethereal Plane. Within this range you can also see invisible creatures and objects as though they were visible.
    All of these uses count as divination effects, their benefits relying on shifting and interpreting the flow of magic that suffuses the multiverse.

Finally, the size of your clarity usage pool increases by 1.

2fp – Murmuring Gaze (Requires Clear Reception)
    Your mind has been tweaked to more easily sync with the thoughts of others. You have advantage on any ability check made to understand what creatures within your sight are trying to convey to you and/or others.

Furthermore, by spending a mote of clarity as an action, you may choose a creature you can see within 60’ of you. If the creature is not both aware of this effect and willing, it must make an Intelligence saving throw. On a success, this effect remains unnoticed but has no other effect (the target passively resisted it). Otherwise, until the beginning of your next turn, you may use your reaction(s) to magically do one of the following:
    • Whisper. The target mentally hears an illusionary thought and/or gut instinct of your choice (such as “something is watching me” or “A pie would taste real good right now”) that sounds as if they had thought or felt it themselves. The target is not compelled in any way to obey this thought, but someone thinking about how great a pie would be right now might be more easily convinced to buy one and many a close decision has come down to a “gut feeling”. Especially absurd thoughts, like “I should swear eternal loyalty to this random stranger”, may still cause suspicion of foul play. The target is not otherwise aware of what has happened unless you want them to be.
    • Whelm. The target is flooded with a cacophony of illusionary sights, sounds, etc, rending it effectively be blinded, deafened, and unable to use special senses such as blindsight until the end of the current turn. The target becomes aware that you invaded its mind and gains advantage on further saving throws against this ability for 1 minute.
    • Wonder. The link between yourself and the target is partially reversed, causing you to hallucinate sights and sounds related to whatever the creature is currently thinking about. This effect lasts until the end of the current turn. The target becomes aware that you invaded its mind.

2fp - Daunting Glare
    You gain proficiency in the Intimidation skill. If you’re already proficient in it, your proficiency bonus is doubled for any check you make with it. This doubling does not stack with Expertise.

Furthermore, as an action you can force a creature within 60’ you can see, that is not immune to the Frightened condition, to make a Wisdom saving throw. Each creature can only be targeted by this ability once per turn. On a failure, you magically impose one of the following effects:
    • Scram. The creature has disadvantage on all attack rolls it makes against you. If it moves towards you, each 1ft it moves takes 2ft of movement. This effect lasts until the beginning of your next turn.
    • Engage. The creature gains disadvantage on all attack rolls it makes against creatures other than you. In addition, if the creature moves away from you each 1ft it moves takes 2ft of movement. These effects lasts until the beginning of your next turn.
    • Despair. The creature has disadvantage on all ability checks, and all other creatures have advantage on Wisdom(Insight) checks made against the target. This effect lasts until the end of your next turn. In addition, the first attack roll made against the targeted creature before this effect ends has advantage.

Tier III Advanced Alterations:

2fp - Parallel Pathways
    You may, as a bonus action on your turn, use an ability granted to you by an Eye trait alteration that would normally require an action to use.

Furthermore, you may, as a bonus action on your turn, gain an additional reaction that lasts until the beginning of your next turn. This reaction can only be used for abilities granted by Eye trait alterations that would normally take a reaction to use.

Finally, you may count the Search action as an Eye Trait alteration-granted ability for the purposes of using it with this alteration, the Focus Surge feature, and/or the MultiAssault feature.

2fp - Nous Sight
    You gain 20 feet of blindsight. This blindsight works via your eyes emitting subtle pulses of non-visible psychic energy and then interpreting the echo. Your blindsight can also differentiate between nonthinking objects, emotionless but thinking entities, and emotional entities. In addition, you can roughly sense the mood of emotional beings. If a thinking being is actively trying to conceal itself and/or hide their real emotional state within the range of your blindsight you must beat their Stealth and/or Deception check as normal but you have advantage on your Perception and/or Insight check to do so.

Furthermore, your blindsight can sense telepathic links and telepathic auras, along with the emotions of the ones currently communicating through it. You cannot otherwise sense the contents of the messages.

1fp – Encroaching Gaze (Requires Murmuring Gaze)
    You may telepathically communicate with any creature that you can see, regardless of distance. If you do not share a language with the creature you can still communicate using simple concepts, emotions, and images.

Furthermore, by spending a mote of clarity as an action, you may magically connect your mind to that of a chosen creature you can see. If the target is unwilling, they can make a Wisdom saving throw. On a Success, this effect does nothing. Otherwise, you can telepathically communicate with the creature across any distance and see what it sees. This effect lasts until you unmake this alteration, finish a short or long rest, or 24 hours have passed.

1fp – Decentralized Perception
    You can, as an action, sense the surroundings of any part of your body (cut hair, severed limb, etc) within 1000 feet of you as though you were there. This includes hearing, vision, and any other senses you posses, although you cannot see through objects (e.g., if a bit of your hair is in a box you can only see the insides of the box).

If you have the Decentralized Existence feature, this ability can instead be used across any distance. If you have the Reified Image feature, anything that counts as a part of your body for it also counts as a part of your body for this alteration.

Tier IV Alterations

2fp – Unbound Perception (Requires Decentralized Perception)
    Your senses extend beyond your current existence; you cannot be surprised. Furthermore, whenever you make an attack roll, ability check, or saving throw, or whenever an opponent makes an attack roll against you, you may use your reaction to roll an additional d20. You may choose to use this roll instead of the one that would normally be used for the attack roll, ability check, or saving throw. You can use this ability after the original roll, but before the outcome is revealed.

If you use this ability on a roll that an opponent is using the Lucky feat to manipulate, the two abilities cancel each other out, resulting in no additional dice as the inexplicable luck unravels and is unraveled by a deeper insight. This ability does not stack with itself; if you have two reactions you cannot apply it to the same roll twice.

2fp – Profound Reception (Require Clear Reception)
    If you have less than half your clarity usage pool remaining, you can meditate for 5 minutes in order to regain 1 expended mote of clarity.

Furthermore, when you expend a mote of clarity you can, as an action, gain an additional reaction that lasts until the beginning of your next turn. This reaction can only be used for abilities granted by Eye trait alterations that would normally take a reaction to use. This benefit stacks with the ability granted by the Parallel Processing alteration.

1fp – Curator’s Vision (Requires Framing Gaze)
    You can use Wisdom(Perception) instead of Intelligence(Investigation) when attempting to see through an illusion.

Furthermore, as an action you can make a Wisdom(Perception) check opposed by the Charisma(Deception) check of a creature you can see. If you succeed, you determine whether or not the creature is in its true form (but not what that form is). If you fail, you sense that your attempt was inconclusive and cannot reattempt the check against that creature until you finish a short or long rest. This action does not expend clarity.

Finally, by spending 2 motes of clarity as an action, you can choose yourself, another creature, or an unattended object you can see within 60’. Each creature or object can only be targeted by this ability once per turn. An unwilling creature must make a Charisma saving throw. On a success, this effect does nothing. Otherwise, you magically impose one of the following effects:
    • Reject. You partially remove a target from your sight - and existence itself. The target becomes partially intangible until the end of your next turn. While in this state, the target has resistance to all forms of damage, their weight is reduced to 1/100th of what it would normally be, and all damage they deal to other creatures and/or objects is halved (this does not stack with resistance).
    • Accept. You intensify the existence of the chosen target, causing it to become hyper-real and impossibly vivid. Until the beginning of your next turn, the chosen target’s weight and carrying capacity (if any) are multiplied by 10, it has advantage on all saving throws if it is a creature, and it is immune to any new effect that would transform it (like a Polymorph or Flesh to Stone spell). Furthermore, any transformative effect already on the target (such as an already cast Polymorph) that would end before the beginning of your next turn lasts until the beginning of your next turn instead, at which point it immediately ends as normal.

Furthermore, the size of your clarity usage pool is increased by 1.

1fp – Delving Sight (Requires Murmuring Gaze)
    You can, as a bonus action on your turn, gain advantage on Wisdom(Insight) checks you make against other creatures until the end of your turn. This ability is a divination effect, and using this bonus action does not expend clarity.

Furthermore, by spending a mote of clarity as an action, you can attempt to mentally question a creature you can see that shares a language with you. If the creature is not both aware of this effect and willing, it must make an Intelligence saving throw. On a success, this effect remains unnoticed but has no other effect (the target passively resisted it). Otherwise, you magically do one of the following:
    • Request. You mentally request the answer to a question. If the creature considers the answer something they actively wish to conceal from someone – anyone at all – this effect fails. The effect also fails if the creature cannot understand the question or feels that they are not the one to ask (e.g. lack of confidence, chain of command, they’re not one to gossip, etc). Otherwise, you receive what they consider to be an honest answer to the question. Either way, the creature remains unaware of the mental probing.
    • Demand. You attempt to forcefully wrest the answer to a question from the target’s mind. The creature becomes aware of the mental probing, knows what question is being asked of them, and can choose to make a Wisdom saving throw. If they are proficient in Deception they have advantage on the save. On a success, this effect fails. Otherwise, you receive what the target considers to be the most informative, honest answer it can give (even if that answer is “I don’t know”). Either way, the creature becomes immune to this ability for one week.
    • Hearken. You learn the question the creature most strongly wishes to ask you, or static noise if it doesn’t want to ask you anything. The creature remains unaware of the mental probing.
    If the chosen effect fails for any reason, you receive static noise but do not know precisely why the failure occurred. This ability counts as a divination effect.

Furthermore, the size of your clarity usage pool is increased by 1.

Edit: Buffed Vehement Eyes self-use, removed ability to trigger off of outside sources.
    Edit 2: Heightened Senses analysis range 15->60.
    Not fond of Existential Blur, tbh, but duplicate pattern would be too strong at-will.
    Edit 3: Replaced Existential Blur with Blurstrike, which greatly improves Framing Gaze's combat usability (by having a default "well, if I didn't need anything else I guess I'll just attack..." option).
    Edit 4: Reworked Blurring Eyes to be balanced around bonus action usage.
    Edit 5: Screaming Glare allows for Cha to damage if you're using it with a Finesse weapon.
    Edit 6: Reworked Recycling option of Focal to be... better. Simpler, as well.
    Last edited by Magikeeper; 2023-02-22 at 02:06 AM.