Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Doom Dark Assassin (Prestige Class) (PEACH)

Hello everybody,
    Here is the 5th prestige class I am putting up for critiquing. I'm trying to accomplish a shadow based assassin. Something sneaky and exceptionally good at assassinating.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

P.S. I'm also terrible at placing the ability tags like Su and Ex. I'd appreciate help with it!

Doom Dark Assassin
    Hit Die
    d6

Requirements
    Alignment: Non-Good
    Deity: Noct
    Skills: Hide 12 Ranks and Move Silently 12 Ranks.
    Special: Sneak Attack +4d6

Class Skills
    The Doom Dark Assassin’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disable Device (Int), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Forgery (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock (Dex), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), Use Magic Device (Cha), and Use Rope (Dex).

Skill Points at Each Additional Level
    6 + Int modifier.

Level Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Class Features
    1st +0 +0 +2 +0 Pierce the Veil
    2nd +1 +0 +3 +0 Sneak Attack +1d6
    3rd +2 +1 +3 +1 Cutthroat
    4th +3 +1 +4 +1 Sneak Attack +2d6
    5th +3 +1 +4 +1 Hide in Plain Sight
    6th +4 +2 +5 +2 Sneak Attack +3d6
    7th +5 +2 +5 +2 Blind the Opposition
    8th +6 +2 +6 +2 Sneak Attack +4d6
    9th +6 +3 +6 +3 Shadow Jump 30ft
    10th +7 +3 +7 +3 Touch of Noct, Sneak Attack +5d6

Class Features
    All the following are Class Features of the Doom Dark Assassin prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
    Doom Dark Assassins gain no armor or weapon proficiencies.

Pierce the Veil (Su)
    At 1st level, a Doom Dark Assassin gains the ability to see through even magical darkness.

Sneak Attack (Ex)
    At 2nd level, a Doom Dark Assassin begins to progress sneak attack like a rogue.

Cutthroat (Su)
    At 3rd level, a Doom Dark Assassin is the epitome of silent killing. 3 times per day, a Doom Dark Assassin may channel the spell silence through his weapon. This effects only the target and has a will save to negate it of 10 + the Doom Dark Assassin's class level.

Hide in Plain Sight (Ex)
    At 5th level, a Doom Dark Assassin can use the Hide skill even while being observed. As long as they are within 10 feet of some sort of shadow, a Doom Dark Assassin can hide their self from view in the open without anything to actually hide behind. They cannot, however, hide in their own shadow.

Blind the Opposition (Su)
    At 7th level, once per day, a Doom Dark Assassin can cast Deeper Darkness.

Shadow Jump (Su)
    At 9th level, a Doom Dark Assassin gains the ability to travel between shadows as if by means of a dimension door spell. The limitation is that the magical transport must begin and end in an area with at least some shadow. A Doom Dark Assassin can jump up to a total of 15ft per class level each day in this way; this may be a single jump or many smaller of 10 feet each. This amount can be split among many jumps, but each one, no matter how small, counts as a 10-foot increment.

Touch of Noct (Ex)
    At 10th level, Noct blesses his assassins with a piece of his essence. The Doom Dark Assassin is granted the effects of the Shadow template.
    Last edited by LoyalPaladin; 2015-07-17 at 03:10 PM.
    If purple is evil, bold gray is lawful good.

Extended Signature & Homebrew Signature

Check out my Celestial Compendium!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Doom Dark Assassin (Prestige Class) (PEACH)

Ninth-level entry. Huh. Not common, but also not a bad thing.

With a skill list that big, average BAB, and only a good Reflex, it should probably give 6+Int skills.

Pierce the Veil is good. It would be nice if they had more ways to get magical darkness, though.

Cutthroat is nice. Would be better if the DC scaling were 10 + class level or 10 + 1/2 character level.

HiPS is good. Level 14 is a good point to get it.

Blind the Opposition is a source of magical darkness, but it's got that icky 1/day. Maybe instead they get darkness 1/day at 1st level, an additional use at each odd level, and at 7th level they can cast it as deeper darkness instead?

Shadow Jump doesn't provide enough distance. I'd make it a total jump distance per day equal to 10 or 15 ft per class level.

Touch of Noct is nice, but you should instead say that they gain all the effects of the Dark template without actually gaining the template itself, so they don't have to take on the level adjustment.

Overall, this is probably my favorite or second favorite of the ones you've posted so far, along with Moonlight Hunter. I'd play it if I liked playing rogue types in 3.5, but I don't

Also:

Quote Originally Posted by LoyalPaladin View Post
    A shadowdancer can jump up to a total of 50 feet each day in this way
    Heh.
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    Ninth-level entry. Huh. Not common, but also not a bad thing.
    Should it be a different level?

With a skill list that big, average BAB, and only a good Reflex, it should probably give 6+Int skills.
    This is doable!

Pierce the Veil is good. It would be nice if they had more ways to get magical darkness, though.
    I'll look into more magical darknesses!

Cutthroat is nice. Would be better if the DC scaling were 10 + class level or 10 + 1/2 character level.
    I think I like the 10 + class level.

HiPS is good. Level 14 is a good point to get it.
    Good! I thought it was fitting.

Blind the Opposition is a source of magical darkness, but it's got that icky 1/day. Maybe instead they get darkness 1/day at 1st level, an additional use at each odd level, and at 7th level they can cast it as deeper darkness instead?
    Hmmm. that seems fair. 5/day seems a little much though... maybe make it every third level?

Shadow Jump doesn't provide enough distance. I'd make it a total jump distance per day equal to 10 or 15 ft per class level.
    That's fair enough. 100 or 150ft per day isn't crazy!

Touch of Noct is nice, but you should instead say that they gain all the effects of the Dark template without actually gaining the template itself, so they don't have to take on the level adjustment.
    That makes total sense. I'll do that.

Overall, this is probably my favorite or second favorite of the ones you've posted so far, along with Moonlight Hunter. I'd play it if I liked playing rogue types in 3.5, but I don't
    Hooray! That's another victory in my book!

Heh.
    Doh. You caught me.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Interesting, a neat blend of Shadowdancer and Assassin. But the name, eugh, that name! That sounds like something from a cheesy eighties comic book.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    It's like Amazon.com around here; free 2-day shipping on all orders no matter how trivial.
    Quote Originally Posted by u/s_SoNick
    Dr Mog: Hey, spiffy new threads you got there Tyro.

Tyro: Pie jesu domine smacks book against forehead Dona eis requiem

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Jurai View Post
    Interesting, a neat blend of Shadowdancer and Assassin. But the name, eugh, that name! That sounds like something from a cheesy eighties comic book.
    I was going to use "Utterdark Assassin". But it turns out that is WotC material and I am making this for a homebrew setting that I hope to eventually publish for all the good people of the world.

Edit:
    Also, some of us were raised on nothing but cheesy eighties comic books!
    Last edited by LoyalPaladin; 2015-07-02 at 04:45 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Why not call it Nulmoon Assassin?
    It's like Amazon.com around here; free 2-day shipping on all orders no matter how trivial.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

So basically anyone can make the save against Cutthroat. 10 + level is 13. It is not the same as 10 + 1/2 HD and + ability modifier.

Also, hide in plain sight references shadowdancer.

What shadow template do you gain at 10th level? There are several.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2015-07-17 at 03:07 PM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    So basically anyone can make the save against Cutthroat. 10 + level is 13. It is not the same as 10 + 1/2 HD and + ability modifier.

Also, hide in plain sight references shadowdancer.

What shadow template do you gain at 10th level? There are several.

Debby
    You think 10 + 1/2 HD + Int (or the like) would be better? I would think that by 10th level DDA that is a save of 20 and isn't exactly easy.

I fixed the shadowdancer reference.

This template.

Thanks bringing my attention to all these things.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Supernatural abilities generally use Charisma as their basis, but Intelligence would work.

Since you have to be at least level 9th level to enter this class, a 3rd level DDA is at least a 12th-level character. It's only a silence spell, so even failing the save isn't terribly detrimental.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm assuming you mean Spell-Like Abilities, Debihuman. Supernatural Abilities can use whatever Ability Score is most appropriate, hence True Dragon Breath Weapons being Constitution based, Nymph's Stunning Glance and Blinding Beauty being Charisma based, &c.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Supernatural Abilities (Su)
    Supernatural abilities are magical and go away in an antimagic field but are not subject to spell resistance, counterspells, or to being dispelled by dispel magic. Using a supernatural ability is a standard action unless noted otherwise. Supernatural abilities may have a use limit or be usable at will, just like spell-like abilities. However, supernatural abilities do not provoke attacks of opportunity and never require Concentration checks. Unless otherwise noted, a supernatural ability has an effective caster level equal to the creature’s Hit Dice. The saving throw (if any) against a supernatural ability is:

10 + ½ the creature’s HD + the creature’s ability modifier (usually Charisma)
    Even Supernatural abilities usually key off Charisma. Emphasis mine. A nymph's supernatural abilities are all Charisma-based. However, there are exceptions, like a dragon's breath weapon, which is Constitution-based. Which is why I said generally and not always.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2015-07-17 at 07:02 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

The abilities here aren't remotely strong enough to justify such a high-level entry. I would definitely lower the entry requirements to Hide/Move Silently 8 ranks and Sneak Attack +2d6, so you can take your first level at the standard ECL 6.

Save DCs should be adding an ability modifier. You can pick whatever ability score you think is most appropriate, but since it's a Rogue prestige class, I recommend either Dex, Int, or Cha.

Shadow Jump is such a high-level ability that I don't think it needs to have a daily limit at all. Just set the maximum distance per jump based on class level and make it usable at will.

The capstone ability is the coolest part of the class IMO. You should probably specify whether the template's usual LA is waived (which it should be).

I feel like Doom-Dark should be hyphenated.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    The abilities here aren't remotely strong enough to justify such a high-level entry. I would definitely lower the entry requirements to Hide/Move Silently 8 ranks and Sneak Attack +2d6, so you can take your first level at the standard ECL 6.

Save DCs should be adding an ability modifier. You can pick whatever ability score you think is most appropriate, but since it's a Rogue prestige class, I recommend either Dex, Int, or Cha.

Shadow Jump is such a high-level ability that I don't think it needs to have a daily limit at all. Just set the maximum distance per jump based on class level and make it usable at will.

The capstone ability is the coolest part of the class IMO. You should probably specify whether the template's usual LA is waived (which it should be).

I feel like Doom-Dark should be hyphenated.
    I like all these recommendations. I'll get to work on them this afternoon!