A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 228
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Pretoria, South Africa
    Gender
    Male

    Default Ruins of Myth Drannor

    Shadowdale

    Through circumstances and travel you find yourselves in a small tavern in the town of Shadowdale. It's inhabitants a mixture of races, mostly human with the odd elf. Despite the time that has past since the fall of Myth Drannor the area has not full recovered. The mood inside seems rather sombre, rumours abound of brigands attacking caravans and even brash enough to take on armed patrols.

    You catch snippets of whispered conversations.

    ".... I think the drow are behind it, they must be paying off...."

    "New supplies are supposed to be arriving next week, lets hope they are not delayed...."

    "...outskirts of Myth Drannor... thing growing wild..."

    "This ale is horrid, I hope they get some new stuff soon."

    An abrupt silence takes over the room as a cloaked figure enters. The heavy footfall and bulk of the figures body gives all the indication of a man. The hood pulled far over his head reveals almost nothing of his facial features. Heads rise from their drinks and eyes track his movement across the room to the section of the wall which serves as a general notice board. With a simple movement he withdraws a piece of parchment from beneath his robe and tacks it to the wall. He departs as he arrived, without word.

    Most patrons slowly return to their drinks and the talk begins once more. A couple people get up from the table to look at the notice. They all turn shaking their heads to themselves and returning to their tables, "...madness, bloody madness.."

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground
     
    AvatarVecna's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2014

    Default Re: Ruins of Myth Drannor

    Fargor rises from where he's been drinking alone and stalks over to the message board; a job's a job, no matter how crazy, and you never know when you might stumble across a diamond hiding amongst the droppings. As he makes his way over, he makes note of every other person rising to do the same, trying to size them up as he makes his way over; could they be the capable kind of adventurers, or just punk kids trying to play at being tough and worldly? No way to know for sure...

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Passive Perception (keeping any eye on the other patrons): 20
    Insight (Judging the competence of the others who are getting up to go see): (1d20+7)[12]
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2015-07-03 at 08:00 AM.


    Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Book Wombat's "The Tarot Club"

    Avatar by AsteriskAmp

    Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ruins of Myth Drannor

    In the opposite corner of the common room, a tough-looking gnome gal, bright amber eyes and fiery streaks in her hair, was getting seriously agitated. But she isn't drunk at all, simply very passionate about brewing.

    "YOU CALL THIS ALE?!?"


    Nyx throws her mug in disgust and leaps off her chair. She quickly gathers the handful of knucklebones spread on the table and stores them safely inside her bag. Before leaving, she addresses the ragtag lot sitting at the table, one of which had just barely dodged a flying beer mug...

    "Don't worry boys, I'll be back next time to win all your gold all over again!"

    She then manoeuvers around the patrons, catching glimpse of conversation, spitting at the mention of drow. Nyx finally makes her way to the board sporting a brand new parchment note. She frowns.

    "So, what's this about, eh? Not another one of those wererat sightings, I hope. If it is I swear to Moradin that I'll..."

    At that moment she stops herself and gives a good look at the others approaching the board.
    Last edited by Kaiser Omnik; 2015-07-02 at 09:18 PM.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2015

    Default Re: Ruins of Myth Drannor

    Covered in the rocky dust of mortar and stone, the bronzed, dusky Hill Dwarf Baelic enters the tavern with a tired face, but an excited glint in his eye. After spending most of his day trying to reinforce the walls of Shadowdale to help protect its people from the raiding brigands, his arms and body were tired. Still, his true passion, his excitement for being in this town, may have just been rekindled with the stranger who left mere moments ago.

    Despite just leaving the temple of Marthammor Duin a little over two years ago, Baelic had developed a taste for adventuring. But his excitement did not rest in glory or fame, but rather the end goal - money paid and loot won. Rewards which would greatly help those of both his temple as well as those suffering greatly in this town.

    Baelic's heart went out to these people of the town since his arrival - suffering from the cruelness of others, the commoners were the ones most affected by tragedy. For decades, his only ability had been to help such people rebuild - with his hands and skill in masonry to rebuilding homes and security, and with his magic, rebuilding the bodies and health of those most hurt. But when his temple, seeing his muscles and magic grow strong with practice, sent him out on his first adventure in the world, he found the material wealth he was able to bring in with one month of adventuring could outpace a year of his normal charitable work.



    With that in mind, he looked around the tavern for a sign of adventuring work. Knowing this would be the most likely place to recruit a party, after his day of manual work to improve what safety he could provide, he came into the tavern night after night, waiting for a quest or a job to go up. Seeing the figure enter with what appeared to be a notice and leaving abruptly, Baelic's heartbeat grew quickly, sensing the beginning of an adventure and the chance to serve his higher calling to his god and the people of the world.



    Baelic walks up and examines the notice, searching for any details about the task at hand.
    Last edited by Fast Jimmy; 2015-07-03 at 01:11 PM.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ruins of Myth Drannor

    The Earth Genasi was all alone in the tavern, and that suited him fine. Many found his new appearance... unsettling. Where he had once the easy grace of a high Elf, there was only the hefty bulk of an earth elemental. True, the arcane explosion that caught the soldier was equal parts blessing and curse - had the transformation never occured, Zerus would have been killed along with the other defenders of Myth Drannor. All history now, but still the wounds fester in the Paladin.


    The hushed silence ironically interrupts the genasi's train of thought, as he sees a hooded man attach something to the wall. His curiousity piqued, Zerus lumbers over to read it, but only after he opens up his senses for anything profane.


    Spoiler
    Show
    Use Divine Sense to detect evil. Read the notice.
    Now Playing

    Zarron Gemblossom (Half-Elf Bard): IC | OOC
    Zuu Greenbrook (Half-Elf Warlock 7): IC | OOC

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Pretoria, South Africa
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ruins of Myth Drannor

    As a few of you rise from your seats you get a mixed bag of looks. Baelic and Fargor get barely a look blending in with most of the locals. One or two locals unfamiliar with Zerus give him a bit of a startled look realising he's far from human.

    A loud grunt echoes through the tavern as a patron ducks the thrown keg, followed by a round of grumbling as they see their money walking out.

    From the bar a loud voice shouts out, "Gnome I don't think you can do any better with what we're stuck with here!"



    Spoiler: Notice
    Show

    For those brave souls, who dare to brave the elven forests.
    The chance to earn great reward.
    Meet me this evening beneath the twisted tower.


    Spoiler: Fargor
    Show

    Everyone seems to have returned to their drinking, though are paying attention to anyone approaching the board, mostly out of interest than any malice.
    Most who got up seem to be simply interested artisans. One or two carried the swagger of someone who had confidence in a fight but would most likely run at the sight of an ogre without backup.


    Spoiler: Zerus
    Show

    You get no sense of evil intent.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2015

    Default Re: Ruins of Myth Drannor

    "The chance to earn great reward."

    Baelic reads that and instantly heads out the door, ignoring any others who were shuffled around the notice. Not usually rude and unsocial, he wanted to be one of the first to arrive and make sure he would have a spot.

    He hurries off into the night, heading to the Twisted Tower to seek the chance at reward, reward which would help those in his temple for years to come.
    Last edited by Fast Jimmy; 2015-07-03 at 04:06 PM.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground
     
    AvatarVecna's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2014

    Default Re: Ruins of Myth Drannor

    "Well then, to the twisted tower go I," Fargor thought bemusedly. The elven forests were nothing to worry about if you kept your head, and were decently competent; combined with the promise of great reward, this screamed "easy money" to him. As he made his way towards the door, he noticed another fellow all but running out to catch up with the stranger. A smirk crossed his face; no harm in messing with the other man just a little bit...and racing was something Fargor was very good at. As he exited the building, tossing a few coins in pay towards the barkeep, he began making his way towards the twisted tower at full speed.

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    I have a 45 ft move rate, bonus action Dash, Athletics +6, and Acrobatics +8. Sure, it's kinda petty racing somebody there when I'm not worried about missing out, but it's a harmless little trick.


    Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Book Wombat's "The Tarot Club"

    Avatar by AsteriskAmp

    Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ruins of Myth Drannor

    Nyx grins to herself while reading the notice. She then turns towards the barman:

    "Do not fear, things are only going to get better. Soon you'll be able to taste the most perfect brew!"

    As she prepares to leave for the twisted tower, however, she's almost TRAMPLED TO DEATH* by a very impolite dwarf.

    "HEY!", she yells in impeccable dwarvish. "What the devil!? What's gotten into him?"

    Nyx continues mumbling as she follows the road to the tower.

    *Exaggeration brought to you by Nyx Smirvnavlinathr, the one and only gnomish brewmistress!

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Irish Musician's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    A Pub Near You
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ruins of Myth Drannor

    Kennis Hedeker, Half-Elf Warlock
    Kennis sits at the end of the bar, her armor turned to look like a very nice looking evening dress. Her glass of wine sits in front of her as she sips on it looking around the room. She studies the people and what they are all about, their mannerisms, how drunk they are, and which ones she might be able to take back to her room and steal all their stuff.

    However, a cloaked and hidden individual steps through the door. He walks straight to the board, pins something on it, and then is gone just as quick as he is here. As intrigued as she is, she stays put for the moment. She sees a few people look at the boards, but then noticed 4 individuals that seems to catch her eye more than the others. A very feisty gnome, she liked her immediately, an elf, a very weird rock looking thing that she assumed was an elemental of some sort, and a typical (said grumpy) dwarf, all of which seemed to be heading out the door.

    Kennis smiles, That would prove to be an interesting group. She finishes her wine and once all of them seemed to have left she goes up to the board and reads the notice. Twisted tower huh?, she thinks to herself. "Well, had no prospects here, might as well check it out." She turns and walks out of the bar, and as she does her nice clothes seem to shimmer and turn into studded leather armor and adventuring clothes. She gives the nearest man a wink and walks out the door.
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

    DMing:

    Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

    My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

    LGBTA+ Ally

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Pretoria, South Africa
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ruins of Myth Drannor

    Kennis gets a few wolf whistles as she stands and walks over to the board. "I've got all the adventure you need right here baby." They come to an abrupt halt as her clothing shimmers back to armour.

    Baelic is in the lead heading towards the tower when a shadowy figure dashes past at an almost unnatural speed going in the same direction.

    Eventually all five of you are gathered in the shadow of the Twisted Tower. Despite it's name and it's twisted design, the gardens surrounding it are rather pleasant and surrounded with a neat hedged fence. Despite the chill of the autumn evening the garden seems warmer. The door of the tower opens and the man from the tavern exits. He pulls back the hood of his cloak, revealing a young human. He has long black hair and alert green eyes. A hawk-like nose protrudes from his face.

    "Ah good evening, thank you for sparing your time. My name is Eladar," he says pleasantly, "There is a journal I would like recovered. I believe it is located in a grove outside of the ruins of Myth Drannor."

    "I will of course make it worth your time. You may of course keep whatever other treasure you find."

    "The grove is protected by a rather powerful illusion causing most to simply turn away or travel in circles till their death, I have a scroll containing a spell to nullify the spell for long enough to enter and retrieve the book but you shall not have long before you need to escape."

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground
     
    AvatarVecna's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2014

    Default Re: Ruins of Myth Drannor

    How long is 'not very long'?" Fargor asked. Would we be talking days, hours...minutes? An important distinction, I'm sure you'll agree."


    Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Book Wombat's "The Tarot Club"

    Avatar by AsteriskAmp

    Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Pretoria, South Africa
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ruins of Myth Drannor

    "You'll have about two hours, I cannot guarantee any more time than that, it should be sufficient to discover the journal as long as you do not waste time."

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Irish Musician's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    A Pub Near You
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ruins of Myth Drannor

    Kennis Hedeker, Half-Elf Warlock
    As they all wait for the man to appear, Kennis juggles some sparks as she starts to get bored. Finally the man shows up and he tells his tale of what he needs from them. A book, huh? Doesn't seem to be too hard, and then he gets to the part about the magical illusion. Ah, there's the catch, she thinks and a smirk grow on her face. "So, what kind of monsters or things might we run into in this grove? It isn't exactly like it is a normal place." She looks at the man in the eyes, matching his gaze.
    Last edited by Irish Musician; 2015-07-03 at 05:12 PM.
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

    DMing:

    Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

    My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

    LGBTA+ Ally

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Pretoria, South Africa
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ruins of Myth Drannor

    "You will find almost anything living within the forest these days, from the usual beasts to vicious devils. I would advise avoiding the city itself. The grove is sufficiently outside of the city that you should not run into any of it's more dangerous inhabitants."

    "I would suggest caution should you run into other groups, there are many who pray on those who seek the ruins treasures."

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ruins of Myth Drannor

    Zerus was not quite sure why he was here - in truth he probably got caught up in the competition despite his apparent disinterest in "the chance to earn great reward."


    But still, if that great reward would bring him more tools to ensure Myth Drannor's reconstruction...


    "Why do you want the journal?" the Earth Genasi asks the young man bluntly.


    Spoiler
    Show
    Insight on any deceitfulness/ill intent: (1d20+3)[22].
    Cast "Find Steed" to summon a Pegasus (if DM allows it. If not, then a warhorse.
    Now Playing

    Zarron Gemblossom (Half-Elf Bard): IC | OOC
    Zuu Greenbrook (Half-Elf Warlock 7): IC | OOC

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Pretoria, South Africa
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ruins of Myth Drannor

    "The journal belonged to a mage who lived in the early days of Myth Drannor. While it contains little magical knowledge it contains much about the early history."

    Spoiler: Zerus
    Show

    You sense no ill intent or deceit.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ruins of Myth Drannor

    "What interest have you in Myth Drannor's early history? It is nothing but..." something catches in Zerus' throat, which he proceeds to hide with a cough.

    "But a memory."
    Now Playing

    Zarron Gemblossom (Half-Elf Bard): IC | OOC
    Zuu Greenbrook (Half-Elf Warlock 7): IC | OOC

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Pretoria, South Africa
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ruins of Myth Drannor

    "My interest is my own, but the knowledge will not go to waste if that is your concern."

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ruins of Myth Drannor

    Nyx's eyes grow wide at the mention of the journal. She would kill to get her hands on such a relic from ages past. Not even for the magical knoweldge, but all the stories and thoughts coming from a person following an arcane tradition similar to her own, in a time of legends and wonders!

    "A powerful illusion you say? Bah, I would never get trapped in one of those. But if we're all to go as a group, your nullifying spell would certainly come in handy. I would prefer if we all came back from this. Could I get a look at this scroll?"

    As she speaks, a chocolate-colored long-tailed weasel appears out of thin air on the wizard's shoulder.
    Last edited by Kaiser Omnik; 2015-07-03 at 10:16 PM.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Pretoria, South Africa
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ruins of Myth Drannor

    The man chuckles when the weasel appears, he gives him a quick scratch before passing the scroll to him.

    "A word of caution though, the journal belonged to a rather powerful mage and even though it is simply a journal, it may still contain some rather strong defensive magic."


    Spoiler: Nyx
    Show

    Arcana: (1d20+7)[10]
    You recognise some of the patterns and word forms on the scroll. They match those similar to spells design to dispel or disrupt magic.
    It is beyond your current level of understanding.
    Last edited by Tashio; 2015-07-04 at 06:21 AM.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2015

    Default Re: Ruins of Myth Drannor

    Baelic had been watching this interaction with quiet, but rapt, attention.

    "You mentioned we should be cautious around other groups... do you have any reason to suspect there would be others out searching the area?"


    Baelic felt there was much not being told to the group of characters... which, given the rough-around-the-edges appearance of those who showed up, made Baelic a little nervous.
    Last edited by Fast Jimmy; 2015-07-04 at 09:48 AM.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Pretoria, South Africa
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ruins of Myth Drannor

    "The city holds many treasures, some brave the walls to find those treasures, others pray on those who have ventured in trying to catch them wounded and low on resources. The elven forest is not a safe place."

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Irish Musician's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    A Pub Near You
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ruins of Myth Drannor

    Kennis Hedeker, Half-Elf Warlock
    Kennis leans on her quarterstaff, listening to the man and all his explanations of their new mission. "So what, pray tell, is in it for us to retrieve this amazing book of history?" She juggles her sparks still and at the end of her speaking, claps her hands and the sparks snuff out.
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

    DMing:

    Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

    My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

    LGBTA+ Ally

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground
     
    AvatarVecna's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2014

    Default Re: Ruins of Myth Drannor

    "Didn't you hear?" Fargor asks, sarcasm dripping off his every word. "We can have whatever else we find of value or use! And hey, it's an ancient ruin in a magical forest, so of course, there will be magic items almost literally growing on trees."


    Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Book Wombat's "The Tarot Club"

    Avatar by AsteriskAmp

    Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ruins of Myth Drannor

    "This looks like the real deal. Good. I just hope it doesn't blow up in my face. Scrolls sometimes do that. Especially when gnomes are involved. For some reason."

    Nyx takes her eyes off the scroll for a moment to study Fargor's facial expression. She then turns to Eladar wondering what his reaction will be.
    Last edited by Kaiser Omnik; 2015-07-04 at 12:53 PM.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Irish Musician's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    A Pub Near You
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ruins of Myth Drannor

    Kennis Hedeker, Half-Elf Warlock
    Kennis shoots a fiery look at the elf, "Oh I planned on keeping whatever I find of use out there.....but that's no guarantee that there is even anything out there we will find. If I am going to risk my life for some damned book, I need a promise of some sort of guaranteed payment." She scowls at the elf, Pretentious elves......, she thinks.
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

    DMing:

    Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

    My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

    LGBTA+ Ally

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Pretoria, South Africa
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ruins of Myth Drannor

    Eladar's eyes flick back and forth between everyone as they speak out.

    "Now now ladies and gentlemen," Eladar says with an almost elderly tone.

    "Don't worry little lady, that scroll will work. Gnomeproof in fact," he says with a gentle smile.

    More seriously, "Along with the scroll that will grant access to the grove, I am willing to pay the sum of 2000 gold each, I trust that will satisfy your need."

    "Now if you have no further questions I have other matters I need to attend to." He reaches into his robe and withdraws a rolled up scroll of paper. "A map."

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ruins of Myth Drannor

    "It's a deal!"

    Nyx rolls the scroll and stores it safely in her Handy Haversack. She takes the weasel in her hands and pets it gently.

    "One last thing Eladar. What's the dead guy's name?"

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Pretoria, South Africa
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ruins of Myth Drannor

    Turning back from the door, "I believe it belongs to one of the archmages from early Myth Drannor, which one is a bit of a mystery, but one that may be solved when it's found."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •