New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: A New Bard Handbook - First Draft Complete. Thoughts?

Is there any argument that you can replace inspire competence with song of the heart? I had a few people tell me that I could replace it a while back, and I never caught the requirement that Gabrosin pointed at.

I'd really like to be able to replace inspire competence with song of the heart. Is there any argument, or is Gabrosin simply right?

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Not sure why whirling blade is red. I get alot of damage out of that one, especially when IC is pumping out +7/+7 or more or DFI is adding +6d6 and you get to add your CHA to hit and damage (which should be relatively high for a bard) and bladeweave is active (forcing multiple will saves vs dazed). Also song of the heart requires inspire competence so barring a really generous dm you're stuck.
    Last edited by Theodred theOld; 2015-07-10 at 02:46 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaD View Post
    Is there any argument that you can replace inspire competence with song of the heart? I had a few people tell me that I could replace it a while back, and I never caught the requirement that Gabrosin pointed at.

I'd really like to be able to replace inspire competence with song of the heart. Is there any argument, or is Gabrosin simply right?
    Hey man, I'd really like it if that were the case too. But it seems pretty clear.

Quote Originally Posted by PHB 87
    A character can’t use a feat if he or she has lost a prerequisite.
    Even if you were allowed to make the swap, not having inspire competence means you don't gain the benefits of the feat. You can ask your DM for an exception, but that's all it would be.

On the flip side, if you intend to trade out suggestion anyway, there's little reason not to trade out fascinate as well. And your DM might let you sub Song of the Heart for a crappy song from a bardic prestige class if you feel the need to keep suggestion. Either way, you're probably not getting it as a freebie until sixth level at the earliest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    ... See, that's classy. Super classy. You're not just taking Body of the Sun and turning it into a source of walking destruction; you're taking Body of the Sun and an unwitting pawn and combining them into a source of walking destruction and comedy. That's evil genius, right there.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaD View Post

People want to be able to do it. the origin is probably this from ECS:
    Quote Originally Posted by ECS p. 34
    A bard can take these feats any time she would normally gain a feat, or can choose one of them as a bonus feat instead of gaining a new form of bardic music at 3rd, 6th, 9th, 12th, 15th, or 18th level.
    These bard feats are Haunting Melody, Music of Growth, Music of Making, Song of the Heart, and Soothe the Beast.
    So you can take it as a bonus feat instead of any bardic music you gain, except the prerequisite of Inspire Competence. So you could take it instead of Suggestion at 6th level.
    Last edited by Hiro Quester; 2015-07-10 at 04:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    This. This sooooo much. I wasn't expecting *two* thread wins from you.
    Spoiler: Avatar & Iron Chef Awards
    Show
    Awesome Dragonfire Bard Avatar by Oneris. A detailed version is here.
    Iron Chef awards:
    IC C Swiftblade: Honorable Mention for Pahika Kanikani, the Wardancer
    IC CII Blade Dancer: Silver for Hu Tiaowu, the Jungle Guardian

5. - Top - End - #35
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Yup, that's what did me in. I'll have to fix the handbook (and my current character ) soon. Thanks guys.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Improved the formatting a ton tonight. Will be incorporating the changes you guys pointed out soon.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Pixie in the Playground

I am building a bard and I just have to say, THANK YOU for this!! Still useful all these years later. :)
    Last edited by Windaar; 2024-03-23 at 04:44 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

Metamagic Mod: Thread Necromancy
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)