A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

biggrin 3E Warlock vs 5E Warlock, in pictures

What I like best about the 3E Warlock:

What I like best about the 5E (Tome) Warlock:

Flexibility is awesome, but I'd sacrifice that spellbook in a heartbeat to be a 24-7 flying hentai apocalypse demon.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: 3E Warlock vs 5E Warlock, in pictures

Now whenever I think of 5e, I will imagine the entire party as kindergartners in dinosaur costumes casting spells and swinging weapons going 'grawr'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by foobar1969 View Post
    Flexibility is awesome, but I'd sacrifice that spellbook in a heartbeat to be a 24-7 flying hentai apocalypse demon.
    Truly one of the most quotable sentences to ever come out of this forum.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, I'd put that in my sig if the owner of the quote was okay with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven777 View Post
    Sorcerers are also based on Charisma. If a Wizard studies the cheat codes to reality, the Sorcerer literally just glares or winks at the universe. And the universe listens.
    Quote Originally Posted by foobar1969 View Post

First Eternal foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Thumbs up Re: 3E Warlock vs 5E Warlock, in pictures

LOL, thanks. As Sirius Cybernetics Corporation would say, "Share and Enjoy!"

It would be pretty ridiculous for someone who posted a meme mashup to complain about being quoted.
    Last edited by foobar1969; 2015-07-16 at 06:48 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Meanwhile, in 4e...

"Okay, you can make pacts with Demons, Fey, the very Stars, Historical Figures, stuff below the Earth, Magical Hitlers or natural disasters."
    Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    The Joker is supposed to be a nightmarish figure, the culmination of all things despicable and horrible about mankind. Of course he's a hipster.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    Meanwhile, in 4e...

"Okay, you can make pacts with Demons, Fey, the very Stars, Historical Figures, stuff below the Earth, Magical Hitlers or natural disasters."
    Don't forget the feat where you get any two of those. Ah, good old Extra Pact...
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Extended signature!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    Don't forget the feat where you get any two of those. Ah, good old Extra Pact...
    So basically having an affair? Or are the patrons just kinky like that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    "Just because the DM lets you break the game, doesn't mean the game is broken."
    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    "My Patron is Steven Spielberg"
    Quote Originally Posted by CNagy View Post
    For some reason this feels really fitting; I got a mental image of a bunch of psions setting up a LAN party.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    Ever since 5e came out I've just discovered more about 4e that I love and wish I had the chance to play it. Where is this feat!?

I wonder if it can be used to represent weird pacts, what entities would a give a Star/Fey pact or Fey/Infernal one?

Also, is there an abyssal pact?
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

It's right there: Infernal. They use it to designate any denizens of the Lower 7. Quasits are a familiar option for Infernal Chainlocks.
    Why yes, Warlock is my solution for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    Active Abilities are great because you - the player - are demonstrating your Dwarvenness or Elfishness. You're not passively a dwarf, you're actively dwarfing your way through obstacles.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Joe the Rat View Post
    It's right there: Infernal. They use it to designate any denizens of the Lower 7. Quasits are a familiar option for Infernal Chainlocks.
    Sorry, was referring to 4e. I'm fine with Infernal being any of the lower planes in 3.X and 5e, but Demons and the Abyss are significantly different from Devils and Baator in default 4e (not that I don't plan to put the great wheel back in at some point, but I'm talking about options for when I'm a PC, not DM).

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Ever since 5e came out I've just discovered more about 4e that I love and wish I had the chance to play it. Where is this feat!?

I wonder if it can be used to represent weird pacts, what entities would a give a Star/Fey pact or Fey/Infernal one?

Also, is there an abyssal pact?
    Dragon Magazine. Twofold Pact. Dragon Magazine Annual 2009 has it IIRC, and many other fun things for Warlocks. Paragon (11+) level, however.

4e's a godsend to DMs because Points of Light, the default setting, has pieces of lore thrown around throughout everything, and it is very loose. There isn't one, but you can create one!

No, but there's a reffufflabe Dark Pact (with Underdark - aka where Drows live - entities), which came out in the Forgotten Realms Player's Guide alongside the Swordmage, who's a Defender (alongside Wardens, Fighters, Paladins and Battleminds), Eberron brought us the Artificer, a Leader (alongside the Shaman, the Bard, the Warlord, the Cleric and the Ardent), and Dark Sum brought us Themes (mini-classes of sorts) and options for Shaman, Warlock, Battlemind and Fighter.
    The Joker is supposed to be a nightmarish figure, the culmination of all things despicable and horrible about mankind. Of course he's a hipster.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Colossus in the Playground

I, sadly, lack the resources to do this, but I was hoping this would be a thread full of such pictures. Can I request that we put pictures labeled "3e, 4e, 5e" in juxtapositions to illustrate these three kinds of warlocks?

And, just because I'm contractually obligated (*cough*)...
    Meanwhile, in 4e...

"...and their powers let you play a swordsage."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Explain, please, that flew over my head.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Colossus in the Playground

Explain, please, that flew over my head.
    If you meant me, it's just me expressing my frustration with 4e's class mechanics that make them all use the Martial Adept subsystem rathre than having a unique subsystem for a bunch of different sources of power. Feel free to ignore it; you can disagree that it's the case, even. This really isn't the thread to revive the debate. (For the record, I liked several things 4e did with the underlying core system mechanics. But their classes just...didn't feel like D&D anymore, to me, and so I couldn't have fun with them when I'm supposed to be playing a D&D game.)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    If you meant me, it's just me expressing my frustration with 4e's class mechanics that make them all use the Martial Adept subsystem rathre than having a unique subsystem for a bunch of different sources of power. Feel free to ignore it; you can disagree that it's the case, even. This really isn't the thread to revive the debate. (For the record, I liked several things 4e did with the underlying core system mechanics. But their classes just...didn't feel like D&D anymore, to me, and so I couldn't have fun with them when I'm supposed to be playing a D&D game.)
    I thought you meant that 4e gave Warlocks (more) melee powers.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

They only really have Eldritch Strike and the Sorcerer-King Pact powers in that regard.

They're great for Warlock|Leader Hybrids, though, especially Warlock|Warlords.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

They only really have Eldritch Strike and the Sorcerer-King Pact powers in that regard.

They're great for Warlock|Leader Hybrids, though, especially Warlock|Warlords.
    Lock Lords?

Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes.

The most optimized build for that is Behind Her Blue Flame, which goes with a bit of Invoker as well. So it's Martial Leader, Arcane Striker and Divine Invoker mixed into one.

While 4e is more standardized, each class feels different to play, which is what I find more important.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Thumbs up Re: 3E Warlock vs 5E Warlock, in pictures

Agree that although it had faults, 4E offered quite a few improvements to the game, many of which have been quietly incorporated into 5E. Also, when 5E's first splatbook comes out, I hope it includes Warlord as a base class.

But I never liked the 4E Warlock, which is why I didn't make pictures about them.