New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Looking to build/find a backstory check system

I came across a site years ago that had a list of about 100 or so questions as a way to test how much effort was put into a characters backstory. I plan to make something like this and will be posting the questions I have so far here, and would gladly welcome any input from others on what questions they feel would be needed. I hope to make it a generic test applicable to a wide variety of gaming groups, although not all of the questions will be able to be applied to every setting obviously. I will be dividing the questions into three categories: General backstory; childhood; present and future.

Spoiler: General Backstory
    Show

1. What is your characters full name?
    2. What is your characters gender and orientation?
    3. What species is your character?
    4. What is your characters primary hand (Or other appendage)?
    5. What does your character look like? Is this their natural look, or have they had it modified in some way?
    6. Does your character have a generally optimistic or pessimistic view?
    7. Does your character have any major weaknesses, physically or mentally? Were they born with it, or did it occur later in life?
    8. Does your character share the views of the general public or government? If not, in what ways are their views different?
    9. Does your character have any living family? If not, how did they die?
    10. What does your character generally have in their pockets?

Spoiler: Childhood
    Show

11. Did your character have a normal childhood?
    12. Does your character often look back at a specific moment(s) of their childhood?
    13. Who was your characters best friend during childhood?
    14. What was your characters education like? Did they attend normal schooling? What was normal for their region?
    15. What were your characters parents like? Abusive? Absent? Supportive? Overbearing?

Spoiler: Present and Future
    Show

16. What is your characters biggest life goal(s)?
    17. What is your character doing to reach their goal?
    18. Does your character have any other goals currently preventing them from obtaining their life goal(s)?
    19. Is your character religious? Is their religion the norm?
    20. What is your characters financial situation?
    Last edited by flame12; 2015-07-20 at 02:05 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Looking to build/find a backstory check system

"Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mutazoia View Post
    Was mostly hoping to build a list instead of buy. Partially because both I and my group are cheap.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by flame12 View Post
    Was mostly hoping to build a list instead of buy. Partially because both I and my group are cheap.
    I would suggest doing a google search for it...you can find the PDF versions pretty dirt cheap.
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."