A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DwarfClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Kastidril (PEACH)

    Kastidril
    (I wanted to call them gravelocks, but pretty sure there's a copyright on that)
    A Kastidril is family of the golbin. Not that long ago they became two races. The Kastidrils aren't often as evil as goblins, and Kastidrils are very tough. Where many goblins live in the woods, you can find Kastidrils in deserts and grasslands. About 500 years ago, the Kastidrils became three subraces. The Yellow Kastidril is often evil, and sometimes they live in the wood with goblins, Yellow Kastidrils and goblins have many things in common. Green Kastidrils and Sundrils live in deserts or grasslands, sometimes together, sometimes not. They all live in holes in the ground.

    Kastidril traits
    Ability score increase: Your constitution score increases by 2.
    Age: Kastidrils mature when they're around 15, on average, they live about 80 years.
    Alingment Most Kastidrils are neutral, they like to be far away from other races, but they don't place themself above other races. Yellow Kastidrils are often evil, but they aren't often chaotic, as goblins are.
    Size Kastidrils stand between 3 and 4 feet tall and average about 45 pounds, your size is small.
    Speed Kastidrils are very little, but thanks to their paranoid they can run very fast. Your base walking speed is 30ft.
    Darkvision You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. There are sundrils without darkvision, but most of them have darkvision as described here.
    Kastidril combat training You have proficiency with the rapier, shortsword and shortbow. You attack with slings deal 1d6 instead of 1d4 damage.
    Child of nature You find twice as many food, if you search for food.
    Languages You know goblin and common
    Subraces In the world of D&D, there are Green Kastidrils, Sundrils and Yellow Kastidrils, all described below.

    Green Kastidril
    Green Kastidrils know a little magic, they often use poison to kill their enemies.
    Ability score increase Your wisdom increases by 1.
    Poisonous origin You know the poison spray cantrip, your spellcasting ability for this cantrip is wisdom.
    Poison life You get resistance to poison damage, and proficiency with the poisoner's kit.

    Yellow Kastidril
    Instead of learning magic, you learned how to fight with your claws and how to use acid to fight even better with them.
    Ability score increase Your dexterity score increases by 1.
    Acid body You have resistance to acid damage
    Acid claws Your unarmed strikes deal 1d4 slashing damage. One per long rest when you make an attack with your claws, you deal an extra 1d4 acid damage, and if the target is a creature he makes a constitution saving throw (DC: 8+prof. modifier+dexterity modifier) or the target gets at the end of its turn an extra 1d4 acid damage, until it uses its bonus action to make the saving throw again. The effect stops on a succesful saving throw. The extra damage you directly deal becomes 2d4 at lv. 6, 3d4 at lv. 11 and 4d4 at lv. 16.

    Sundril
    A Sundril often lives in the desert, that doesn't mean they can survive the sun longer than the other Kastdrils, but they are at the middle of the day sleeping in their holes. They use magic they gain from the sun to have light and to kill enemies.
    Ability score increase Your inteligence score increases by 1
    Sundril magic You know the firebolt cantrip, once you reach 3rd level you can cast the burning hands spell once a day as a 2nd-level spell. Once you reach 5th level, you can also cast the continual flame spell once per day. Inteligence is your spellcasting ability for these spells.

    You can play a Sundril without darkvision, those know the light or the dancing lights cantrip.
    Last edited by PoeticDwarf; 2015-07-20 at 10:42 AM.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Inevitability's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Planes of Law

    Default Re: Kastidril (PEACH)

    Sundril seem quite balanced to me. Perhaps make a slightly different one with no darkvision, seeing you mentioned those kinds of Sundril exist?

    Green Kastidril seem balanced too.

    Yellow Kastidril, however, I am not too sure about. Acid Claws is hard to rate because to certain people (wizards) it is useless, while others (monks) will use it all the time. Having to spend your entire turn to remove what is essentially some acid doesn't seem very logical to me. Maybe allow people to make the saving throw as a bonus action? And by the way, claws usually deal slashing damage, not piercing.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

    Extended signature!

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DwarfClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Kastidril (PEACH)

    Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    Sundril seem quite balanced to me. Perhaps make a slightly different one with no darkvision, seeing you mentioned those kinds of Sundril exist?

    Green Kastidril seem balanced too.

    Yellow Kastidril, however, I am not too sure about. Acid Claws is hard to rate because to certain people (wizards) it is useless, while others (monks) will use it all the time. Having to spend your entire turn to remove what is essentially some acid doesn't seem very logical to me. Maybe allow people to make the saving throw as a bonus action? And by the way, claws usually deal slashing damage, not piercing.
    The yellow Kastidril is the one I'm not sure about, I'm going to make it a bonus action and I was thinking about the crawling claw, but you're right, it has to be piercing. I will change that also.
    His claws now have 1d4 slashing, is that in balance or not?

    I'm going to change the sundril a little bit either.


    Any other feedback????
    Last edited by PoeticDwarf; 2015-07-20 at 07:57 AM.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    WhiteWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2015

    Default Re: Kastidril (PEACH)

    Why 1d6 sling damage, but not sling proficiency? That isnt that logical. It isnt OP, but weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by RodrigoAlves
    Once a player almost fell into a trap full of spikes. He asked me "how much damage would a spike do?"
    I said "Instant death"
    Then, he grabbed a spike and used it as a weapon for the rest of the adventure.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    JNAProductions's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Avatar By Astral Seal!

    Default Re: Kastidril (PEACH)

    With the "once per rest" change, all seems balanced to me.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

    Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

    Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DwarfClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Kastidril (PEACH)

    Quote Originally Posted by ImSAMazing View Post
    Why 1d6 sling damage, but not sling proficiency? That isnt that logical. It isnt OP, but weird.
    Because every class has already sling proficiency, and why would it be OP, I don't want to make an OP race.

    You get sling prof. but you have in anyway isn't logical.
    Last edited by PoeticDwarf; 2015-07-21 at 02:27 AM.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    WhiteWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2015

    Default Re: Kastidril (PEACH)

    Let me get thru the options using the Race Homebrew Companion:

    Base Kastidril(Total of 4 points):
    ASI Constitution 2 points for the +2 bonus

    Darkvision(60 feet) 0.5 point for the Darkvision
    Kastidril Combat Training 1 point for the combat training
    Child of Nature 0.5 point because it is mostly fluff.

    Green Kastidril(Total of 2,5 points):
    ASI Wisdom 1 point for the +1 bonus
    Poisonous Origin 1 point for the cantrip
    Poison Resistance 0.5 Point for the resistance

    ]Yellow Kastidril(Total of 2,5 points):

    ASI Dex 1 point for the +1 bonus
    Acid Body 0.5 Point for the resistance
    Acid Claws 1 point for the Claw feature

    Sundril(Total of 2,5 points):
    ASI Int 1 point for the +1 bonus
    Sundril Magic 1.5 points for the Innate Spellcasting


    So, the total score of all Kastidrils is 6.5. That is slightly above average(5.5), but still weaker then a Dwarf(7.5-8). It is equalevant(sorry if I misspelled the word) to the Half-Elf race. It is balanced.
    Last edited by ImSAMazing; 2015-07-24 at 06:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RodrigoAlves
    Once a player almost fell into a trap full of spikes. He asked me "how much damage would a spike do?"
    I said "Instant death"
    Then, he grabbed a spike and used it as a weapon for the rest of the adventure.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DwarfClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Kastidril (PEACH)

    Quote Originally Posted by ImSAMazing View Post
    Let me get thru the options using the Race Homebrew Companion:

    Base Kastidril(Total of 4 points):
    ASI Constitution 2 points for the +2 bonus

    Darkvision(60 feet) 0.5 point for the Darkvision
    Kastidril Combat Training 1 point for the combat training
    Child of Nature 0.5 point because it is mostly fluff.

    Green Kastidril(Total of 2,5 points):
    ASI Wisdom 1 point for the +1 bonus
    Poisonous Origin 1 point for the cantrip
    Poison Resistance 0.5 Point for the resistance

    ]Yellow Kastidril(Total of 2,5 points):

    ASI Dex 1 point for the +1 bonus
    Acid Body 0.5 Point for the resistance
    Acid Claws 1 point for the Claw feature

    Sundril(Total of 2,5 points):
    ASI Int 1 point for the +1 bonus
    Sundril Magic 1.5 points for the Innate Spellcasting


    So, the total score of all Kastidrils is 6.5. That is slightly above average(5.5), but still weaker then a Dwarf(7.5-8). It is equalevant(sorry if I misspelled the word) to the Half-Elf race. It is balanced.
    But I know it's balaced if you look to that. But 1 point for an +1 ASI and the same for things like combat training isn't correct, I think. I don't use that often. I mean, halflings can't use heavy weapons (-1) but they don't have a strenght bonus so they aren't going to anyway.

    The green one gets +1 for knowing poison spray, but if you're a high elf you get +1 for knowing a wizard cantrip OF YOUR CHOICE.
    Last edited by PoeticDwarf; 2015-07-24 at 08:41 AM.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Midwest, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Kastidril (PEACH)

    Quote Originally Posted by ImSAMazing View Post
    Let me get thru the options using the Race Homebrew Companion:
    If you are going to reference it, why not quote the numbers correctly?

    Kastidril Combat Training, and Poisonous Origin are each worth .5 points according to Musicus' source, and I agree with that.

    Musicus would deduct another .5 points for being Small (disadvantage with Heavy Weapons), but I consider that ballanced by the stuff a small creature can do that a medium can't-- for instance ride a medium mount.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DwarfClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Kastidril (PEACH)

    Quote Originally Posted by eleazzaar View Post
    If you are going to reference it, why not quote the numbers correctly?

    Kastidril Combat Training, and Poisonous Origin are each worth .5 points according to Musicus' source, and I agree with that.

    Musicus would deduct another .5 points for being Small (disadvantage with Heavy Weapons), but I consider that ballanced by the stuff a small creature can do that a medium can't-- for instance ride a medium mount.
    But as halfling you can't ride a large mount, right? That's how we do that in our games.
    Last edited by PoeticDwarf; 2015-07-27 at 02:03 AM.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Inevitability's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Planes of Law

    Default Re: Kastidril (PEACH)

    Quote Originally Posted by EnderDwarf View Post
    But as halfling you can't ride a large mount, right? That's how we do that in our games.
    That would be a weird rule. Humans can ride of elephants too, can't they? The halfling-horse size difference is no bigger than the human-elephant one.
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2015-07-27 at 05:00 AM.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

    Extended signature!

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DwarfClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Kastidril (PEACH)

    Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    That would be a weird rule. Humans can ride of elephants too, can't they? The halfling-horse size difference is no bigger than the human-elephant one.
    I ask for an acrobatics check.
    Roll you little halfling.

    I know I'm going to lose this discussion...
    Last edited by PoeticDwarf; 2015-07-27 at 05:50 AM.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Midwest, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Kastidril (PEACH)

    Quote Originally Posted by EnderDwarf View Post
    But as halfling you can't ride a large mount, right? That's how we do that in our games.
    It's not a rule in the PHB.

    I would consider it reasonable to impose disadvantage if it isn't a specially designed saddle for Small creatures, but that's just me.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DwarfClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Kastidril (PEACH)

    Quote Originally Posted by eleazzaar View Post
    It's not a rule in the PHB.

    I would consider it reasonable to impose disadvantage if it isn't a specially designed saddle for Small creatures, but that's just me.
    You're right, I messed some rules up. Sorry for that, disadvantage sounds like a good idea if there isn't a special saddle.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •