A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Post Pathfinder to 5e Monster Converter

I've been working diligently on creating a monster converter for Pathfinder to 5e: 5e Monster Converter

I have based my converter off these conversion rules.

The goal of this converter is to give a pretty solid guestimate of all the basic features of creatures and as many advanced features as possible.

How it works: Copy a whole stat block from either PFSRD or an adventure path book into the textarea. It will automatically convert. If it does not please open your console (F12) and let me know what error you got.

The converter currently does all these basic things:
    • Size, Type, alignment
    • AC
    • HP, HD
    • Speed
    • Abilities (Str, Dex, Con)
    • Skills
    • Senses
    • Languages
    • Challenge
    • Traits (some)
    • Multiattack
    • Attacks
    • Special Attacks (some)

Some items that I'd love some help on:
    AC, Challenge, Traits, Special Attacks, Immunities.

AC: I currently use either the armor listed under "gear" or "other gear" or the formula in this google doc. I have tested 161 creatures comparing their pathfinder version to their 5e version and seeing how close my formula got. The formula isn't perfect so please let me know if you have any better ideas.

Challenge: I calculate the average HP and compare it to the table on DMG 274 (I find the middle of the range and compare to that). I determine a defensive CR based on that. I then calculate the damage per round from all attacks (including multiattack) and compare that to the same table (I find the middle of the range and compare to that) to get the offensive CR. I then average those two numbers to get an overall CR - just as prescribed. If anyone has any suggestions for how to improve this please let me know.

Traits: I currently process some items based on the SQ field from pathfinder. I'll be adding more over time. I'm currently working through Skull & Shackles monsters to see how they compare to the ones I did manually (up to book 3). Please let me know if you know of a common one that should be added and preferably the 5e wording for it.

Special Attacks: Same as traits really, just from the special attack(s) field.

Resistances & Immunitites: For the most part 5e got rid of 50% of the ones from PF. It will be quite difficult to make this work in a general way.

I appreciate any feedback that you give

Example Stat block:
    Otyugh CR 4
    XP 1,200
    N Large aberration
    Init +0; Senses darkvision 60 ft., scent; Perception +9
    DEFENSE
    AC 17, touch 9, flat-footed 17 (+8 natural, -1 size)
    hp 39 (6d8+12)
    Fort +3, Ref +2, Will +6
    OFFENSE
    Speed 20 ft.
    Melee bite +7 (1d8+4 plus disease), 2 tentacles +3 (1d6+2 plus grab)
    Space 10 ft.; Reach 10 ft. (15 ft. with tentacle)
    Special Attacks constrict (tentacle, 1d6+2)
    STATISTICS
    Str 18, Dex 10, Con 13, Int 5, Wis 13, Cha 6
    Base Atk +4; CMB +9 (+13 grapple); CMD 19 (21 vs. trip)
    Feats Alertness, Toughness, Weapon Focus (tentacle)
    Skills Perception +9, Stealth +2 (+10 in lair); Racial Modifiers +8 Stealth in lair
    Languages Common
    Last edited by Kryx; 2015-07-22 at 03:59 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Default Re: Pathfinder to 5e Monster Converter

This is awesome, exactly what I was looking for for covnerting some PF adventure apths to D&D5, as I am very rapidly beginning to prefer the latter due to its far less combersome ruleset

Have you put any thought into how to convert things like x/day Spell-Like abilities out of curiosity? It's possible it does so already and I'm just inputting the formatting wrong...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Spells work. Take Lich for example:
    Code:
    Lich	CR 12
    XP 19,200
    Human lich necromancer 11
    NE Medium undead (augmented humanoid)
    Init +2; Senses darkvision 60 ft., life sight*; Perception +24
    Aura fear (60-ft. radius, DC 18)

DEFENSE

AC 23, touch 14, flat-footed 21 (+4 armor, +2 deflection, +2 Dex, +5 natural)
    hp 111 (11d6 + 55)
    Fort +6, Ref +7, Will +11
    Defensive Abilities channel resistance +4; DR 15/bludgeoning and magic; Immune cold, electricity, undead traits
    OFFENSE
    Speed 30 ft.
    Melee touch +5 (1d8+5 plus paralyzing touch)
    Special Attacks grave touch* (9/day), paralyzing touch (DC 18), power over undead* (9/day, DC 18)
    Spells Prepared (CL 11th)

6th—circle of death (DC 22), globe of invulnerability, maximized fireball (DC 19)
    5th—cloudkill (DC 21), cone of cold (DC 21), quickened magic missile, waves of fatigue 
    4th—dimension door, enervation, fire shield, wall of ice (2)
    3rd—dispel magic (2), fireball (DC 19), suggestion (DC 19), vampiric touch (2)
    2nd—darkness, extended mage armor (already cast), false life (already cast), scorching ray (2), see invisibility, spectral hand
    1st—magic missile (3), ray of enfeeblement (2), shield (2)
    0th—bleed (DC 16), detect magic, ray of frost, read magic

Prohibited Schools illusion, transmutation
    *Necromancer power

STATISTICS

Str 10, Dex 14, Con —, Int 22, Wis 14, Cha 16
    Base Atk +5; CMB +5; CMD 25
    Feats Craft Wondrous Item, Defensive Combat Training, Extend Spell, Improved Lightning Reflexes, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Maximize Spell, Quicken Spell, Scribe Scroll, Toughness
    Skills Craft (alchemy) +20, Intimidate +17, Knowledge (arcana) +20, Knowledge (planes) +20, Linguistics +20, Perception +24, Sense Motive +24, Spellcraft +20, Stealth +24; Racial Modifiers +8 Perception, +8 Sense Motive, +8 Stealth
    Languages Abyssal, Aklo, Aquan, Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Gnome, Goblin, Ignan, Infernal, Orc, Undercommon
    There are some edge case bugs like the hp from false like breaking it and this doesn't pick up the special abilities, but the core works.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Okay, awesome, good to know that spells work, but what about Spell-Like abilities for an example I used the Grig as initially presented in the Kingmaker adventure Path (which is what I'm looking to convert, which has the following PF stats:

Code:
    Grig	CR 1
    XP 400
    NG Tiny fey
    Init +4; Senses low-light vision; Perception +5
    DEFENSE
    AC 17, touch 17, flat-footed 12 (+4 Dex, +1 dodge, +1 size)
    hp 4 (1d6+1)
    Fort +1, Ref +6, Will +3
    OFFENSE
    Speed 20 ft., fly 40ft. (poor)
    Melee short sword -1 (1d3-3/19-20)
    Ranged longbow +6 (1d4-3/x3)
    Space 2 1/2 ft.; Reach 0 ft.
    Spell-Like Abilities (CL 3rd; concentration +5)
    3/day—disguise self (DC 12), entangle, invisibility (self only), pyrotechnics
    STATISTICS
    Str 5, Dex 18, Con 13, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 14
    Base Atk +0; CMB +2; CMD 10 (18 vs. trip)
    Feats Dodge
    Skills Acrobatics +8, Escape Artist +8, Fly +8, Perception +5,
    Perform (string) +6, Stealth +16
    Languages Common, Sylvan
    The SLAs don't seem to convert and I'm trying to locate an example creature in the 5e MM that has similar-ish abilities to see how 5e presents them.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Ya, I didn't import SLA. I'll fix this within a day or two.

For now just follow the spell format.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

This is awesome! I was just trying to figure out the stats for a Shoggoth, so this is a lifesaver.
    l have a very specific preference when it comes to TTRPGs. If you have a different preference, that's fine, but I just want you to know you're having fun wrong.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by balfuset790 View Post
    Okay, awesome, good to know that spells work, but what about Spell-Like abilities for an example I used the Grig as initially presented in the Kingmaker adventure Path (which is what I'm looking to convert, which has the following PF stats:

Code:
    Grig	CR 1
    XP 400
    NG Tiny fey
    Init +4; Senses low-light vision; Perception +5
    DEFENSE
    AC 17, touch 17, flat-footed 12 (+4 Dex, +1 dodge, +1 size)
    hp 4 (1d6+1)
    Fort +1, Ref +6, Will +3
    OFFENSE
    Speed 20 ft., fly 40ft. (poor)
    Melee short sword -1 (1d3-3/19-20)
    Ranged longbow +6 (1d4-3/x3)
    Space 2 1/2 ft.; Reach 0 ft.
    Spell-Like Abilities (CL 3rd; concentration +5)
    3/day—disguise self (DC 12), entangle, invisibility (self only), pyrotechnics
    STATISTICS
    Str 5, Dex 18, Con 13, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 14
    Base Atk +0; CMB +2; CMD 10 (18 vs. trip)
    Feats Dodge
    Skills Acrobatics +8, Escape Artist +8, Fly +8, Perception +5,
    Perform (string) +6, Stealth +16
    Languages Common, Sylvan
    The SLAs don't seem to convert and I'm trying to locate an example creature in the 5e MM that has similar-ish abilities to see how 5e presents them.
    Hey,

You're going to want to look for creatures with "innate spellcasting" to use as your yardstick for this one. Off the top of my head, I know that Pixies serve as a good example, as do certain Devils and Demons (though I'm away from book and can't name the best examples right now).
    Homebrew!
    5e: Expanded Inspiration Uses

Spoiler: 3.5/P Stuff. Warning: OLD
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

So, that's what yo been doing lately!
    That's some impressive work you've done!

Many thanks from all of us who wants to use their PF adventures without spending too much prep time.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DanyBallon View Post
    So, that's what yo been doing lately!
    That's some impressive work you've done!

Many thanks from all of us who wants to use their PF adventures without spending too much prep time.
    You're welcome! This was done actually back in July. There was more feedback on the enworld post of it if you want to see the updates since then.

Balancing Damage Spells (Math based) was my most recent project here. I've got another project going for online players, but it'll be a while before that sees the light of day.

I'll fix the few issues brought up here within a few days. Not tonight.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

FYI updated this to cover more types of spells and also fixed lich's hp issue. Still haven't covered spell-like abilities.