New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default At what level does a typical D&D class can outsell a dragons of other fiction

Typical generic dragon of most western fantasy, not the magic wielding one. Just winged lizard with firebreath and steel scale

2. - Top - End - #2
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: At what level does a typical D&D class can outsell a dragons of other fiction

Pretty unanswerable, given the wide disparity between the various classes, editions, and legendary dragons.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: At what level does a typical D&D class can outsell a dragons of other fiction

Putting aside how it's not even clear exactly what is being asked here - "outsell" doesn't make a whole lot of sense in this context - there's a lot of variation. There is no singular typical fire breathing dragon, and there's a titanic distance between what is basically a small alligator which happens to fly and breathe fire intermittently and a city sized behemoth that wouldn't be out of place in a Godzilla movie.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Level 1. Most fire-breathing monstrosities aren't allowed into marketplaces.

More seriously, probably around level 10 or so for most classes, and level 5 or 6 for full casters.
    Last edited by Morcleon; 2015-07-27 at 12:47 PM.
    Avatar of Furude Setsuna, by Telasi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephit View Post
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akagi
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

It's a bit unclear what the OP is asking, but...

The point where you start being expected to kill monsters large enough to ride that fly around and throw mean projectiles at you from the sky, one on one, is about level 5.

The prime example? Manticores (CR5). They are big enough for dragonriders, they fly, they throw spikes that are about as deadly as dragonbreath in some fantasy, and have natural armor that's as tough as steel armor.

Things can of course get more challenging by making the dragon bigger, breath fire better (longer, hotter, better arc, etc), or just how thick those steel scales are.
    Last edited by LudicSavant; 2015-07-27 at 11:40 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

it also depends on how you build the creature I have seen Conan depicted as level 6 and I have seen him at level 30 there both supposed to be depicting the same character with the same abilities but the various designers depicted him at vastly different levels. So one person might say well the dragon breathes fire, fire deals d6 dam therefore he has a breath weapon that deals d6 dam. Another person might say well the hero would have been instantly killed if the dragon breathed on him in the story so therefore the dragon should deal 100d10 fire dam.

Its the same dragon with the same capabilities in theory but one is much easier to kill then the other.
    Last edited by awa; 2015-07-28 at 08:30 PM.