New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default A wizard did it! (playing with a random generator)

I recently discovered The Monster Parts generator which generates an assortment of various hacked off bits of creatures. I'm wondering how many people would be interested in designing creatures which use a grab bag of these pieces as a new form of "A wizard did it"

I'll fill in some of my own here soon.
    Having trouble writing up hard stat blocks but I'm doing a lot of sharing ideas and soft mechanics lately.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: A wizard did it! (playing with a random generator)

So like...a creature created through a ritual that used these parts? This could be an extremely odd and interesting project. I'm in!
    Come post a magic item to show that not all unique items are immensely powerful tools of the gods!
    Jester of The Rudisplorkers Guild!!

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    ..What have I done..? What have you done? That poor lantern archon..

trophies
    The photo got removed, but I'm a silver trophy winner of Pathfinder Grab Bag XII: of Dungeons and Dragons

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I'm always up for random generators! Count me in.

Are there any rules, or do we just go wild? It might be fun if one person generates a set of parts (maybe like 5 or 10), then the next poster frankensteins them and leaves another set of parts, etc.
    Last edited by Ninja_Prawn; 2015-07-29 at 04:55 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Sounds interesting.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

A new Junkyard Wars round is up! Come join Weapon Bond + Weapon Specialization - Fighter!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    I'm always up for random generators! Count me in.

Are there any rules, or do we just go wild? It might be fun if one person generates a set of parts (maybe like 5 or 10), then the next poster frankensteins them and leaves another set of parts, etc.
    Just go wiled. It's not a contest (though if we like it a contest may come later.)

I think that people grabbing some combinations that they think are interesting for other people to snag would be awesome as well but that will be an optional thing I think.
    Having trouble writing up hard stat blocks but I'm doing a lot of sharing ideas and soft mechanics lately.

6. - Top - End - #6

Even with an insane work schedule this week I have come up with some ideas, though I have yet to fully crunch them out.

Landbound Tribes (the generator came up with Dryad hearts and a load of humanoid detritus)
    I'm thinking that sacrificing a dryad and forcing the heart to be fed to a humanoid, monstrous humanoid, or animal will force them to remain in an area determined at the time of the ritual for a set number of generations. Details are still a little sketchy in my head but I like the concept.

I also came up with Arrowhawk brains and a whole mess of teeth and claw options which I want to combine into an aggressive ball of slashing death that flies. With three layers of stats based on the three ages of Arrowhawk.

Blink Dog Heart + Lion Brain + Arrowhawk Feathers + Dragon Teeth

The heart providing the blinking ability (though limited somehow) with a Lion's thought patterns and the negative weight of arrowhawk feathers providing a slight lift (enough to fly slowly), I'm torn on studding the teeth throughout the length of a snake skeleton and giving it an awesome constrict ability or just putting a dragon head on the thing and rocking an extra-large bite attack.

Wereboar Brains packed in Alligator Blood + Hill Giant Blood + Bugbear Heart AKA Goblins are surprisingly good surgeons.

The Hill Giant and Alligator blood mix to produce a steroid on goblinoid physiology, when the Bugbear heart transplant is added to the combo the former goblin becomes a terrifying juggernaut among his otherwise weak race. However the brain transplant was only a partial success, leaving these goblins little more intelligent than wild pigs (which are surprisingly smart for those who don't know), they are mostly kept contained and then unleashed either at invaders to their land or sent to kill anything soft and squishy in lands that they wish to inhabit later. The retrieval of such things is more trouble than it's worth though and they are usually hunted down or forced into a pit where they are allowed to starve to death when their purpose has been filled.

Bulette Tremorsense organs + Giant Squid Tentacles + Bison brains

Vast herds of tentacles that migrate across the prairies. This was a thought that really freaked out my girlfriend when I told her the concept and I feel like it could be a really good horror monster if presented well.

I have two other good generations that I'm going to put more thought into as there's more than one monster coming out of them.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

Wasn't it dragon's teeth, in mythology, that could be scattered on the ground so they'd grow into soldiers? I'm thinking a summoning ability.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

The experiments begin... *evil laugh*

So, first off, I'm combining parts in groups of five. I'll provide descriptions of the results, a name and stats to represent them (in D&D 5th edition).

Experiment 1: The Morhorric
    Components: centaur hooves, golden ammonite beaks, troglodyte musk oil, a coffer of merfolk scales, cockatrice spittle.

Method: Being provided with such a vast quantity of merfolk scales, I was immediately minded to sew them together into a scaly hide. This proved challenging, due to their being so small and delicate, but eventually I was able to produce a full coat of scales, which shimmered with bright blue and purple, even in the smoky light of the laboratory. This coat was affixed to a standard quadrupedal structure of assorted muscles & bones, and tied off into a fluke of a tail, such as may be useful for swimming.

Affixing the centaur hooves was far simpler and should give the beast formidable traction on land. I dread to think how these were obtained.

Great care was taken with the two... fluid parts. First, the musk oil was implanted into the beast's flanks. This was so unutterably foul that I was forced to suspend work on the project and persuade Tallina to research a spell to combat the stench. Her notes are included as an appendix to this report, should anyone be interested in replicating the spell. Once the musk was in place, a head and mouth was assembled using the bony ammonite beaks, whose sharp edges are impregnated with the cockatrice's petrifying spittle. As you can tell from the fact I am writing this, there were no mishaps here.

Results: The morhorric looks like a blue, scaly horse, except for its tail, which resembles that of a whale. Its head, which is crowned with bony plates, is thin and elongated like an anteater's, and ends in a circular beak. Its tentacle-like tongue drips with toxic spittle and the monster stinks like rotten fish and manure. It likes to eat fish and small rodents.

Spoiler: Stats
    Show
    Morhorric
    Large monstrosity, unaligned

Armour Class 11
    Hit Points 60 (8d10 + 16)
    Speed 50 ft., swim 40 ft.

STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
    16 (+3) 12 (+1) 14 (+2) 3 (-4) 10 (+0) 5 (-3)

Condition Immunities Petrified, Poisoned
    Senses darkvision 30ft., passive Perception 10
    Languages -
    Challenge 2 (450 XP)

Amphibious. The morhorric can breathe air and water.

Charge. If the morhorric moves at least 30 feet straight toward a target and then hits it with a hooves attack on the same turn, the target takes an extra 10 (3d6) bludgeoning damage. This ability can only be used on dry land.

Stench. Any creature other than a morhorric that starts its turn within 5 feet of the morhorric must succeed on a DC 12 Constitution saving throw or be poisoned until the start of the creature's next turn. On a successful saving throw, the creature is immune to the stench of all morhorrics for 1 hour.

Actions

Multiattack. The morhorric makes two attacks: one with its bite and one with its hooves.

Beak. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d6 + 3) piercing damage and the target must succeed on a DC 12 Constitution saving throw against being magically petrified. On a failed save, the creature begins to turn to stone and is restrained. It must repeat the saving throw at the end of its next turn. On a success, the effect ends. On a failure, the creature is petrified for 24 hours.

Hooves. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 10 (2d6 + 3) bludgeoning damage.

Ink Cloud (Recharges after a Short or Long Rest). A 5-foot radius cloud of ink extends all around the morhorric if it is underwater. The area is heavily obscured for 1 minute, although a significant current can disperse the ink. After releasing the ink, the morhorric can use the Dash action as a bonus action.

Spoiler: New Cleric Spell
    Show
    Zone of Sweet Air
    3rd-level Abjuration

Casting Time: 1 action
    Range: 60 feet
    Components: V, S, M (a silk handkerchief)
    Duration: 10 minutes

You create an invisible magical zone that eliminates noxious airs in a 15-foot-radius sphere centred on a point of your choice within range.

All poisonous or otherwise damaging gases of natural or magical origin, except those created by breath weapons, are blocked by this spell and cannot enter the zone. Fresh air passes into the zone without hindrance. If any fumes are present when the spell was cast, or created inside the area of protection, they are instantaneously purged from it.
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

9. - Top - End - #9

Let's not take too many. I'm taking 3.

*Dwarf hearts in centaur blood
    *A jar of dire rat blood
    *Duergar hearts in Aether

Hm. So, the result is clearly some kind of dwarf. Centaur blood sounds like strength or speed. Dire rat blood is digging, dexterity, stealth, as are duergar. Aether could be all kinds of things, could be alchemy, could be ethereal. In any case, a kind of stealth creature.

Ak-Karva

Created by the Duergar as shock-troops in their subterranean wars, especially against other dwarves, the Ak-Karva is a horribly mutated creature, combining an equine leg and lower body, wickedly curved claws and a muzzled face only vaguely recognizeable as humanoid.

Ak-Karva

Medium monstrous humanoid (dwarf)
    4d8+8 (26 hp)
    Initiative +6
    Speed: 50 ft., Burrow 20 ft.
    Armor class: 18 (+2 dex, +2 natural, +4 armour (chain shirt))
    Base attack/grapple: +5/+5
    Attack: Claw +5 (1d4+1)
    Full attack: 2 claws +5 (1d4+1)
    Special attacks: Phase claw
    Special Qualities: Darkvision 120 ft, duergar traits, Phase jump, spell-like abilities, Scent (30 ft.)
    Saves: Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +4
    Str 13, Dex 15, Con 14, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 4
    Skills: Hide +5, Move silently +9, Listen +3, Spot +3
    Feats: Improved Initiative, Weapon Focus: claw
    Challenge rating: 3-ish?

Phase claw (su): once per minute, as a swift action, the Ak-Karva can channel its ethereal powers into its claws, making them phase through even the toughest armor. Until the end of its turn, all attacks made with its claws are resolved as touch attacks.

Phase jump (su): As a move action, the Ak-Karva can become ethereal to move through obstacles. This allows the Ak-Karva, as part of the same move action, to move up to 30 ft., while ethereal, before become corporeal again.

Duergar traits:
    Immunity to paralysis, phantasms, and poison.
    +2 racial bonus on saves against spells and spell-like abilities.
    Light Sensitivity: Ak-karva are dazzled in bright sunlight or within the radius of a daylight spell.
    +4 racial bonus on Move Silently checks.
    +1 racial bonus on Listen and Spot checks.
    Stonecunning, armor movement (as a dwarf)
    Ak-karva do not gain stability

Spell-like abilities:
    1/day: invisibility, blink. 3/day: disguise self (dwarf or duergar only)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Experiment 2: The Death Snail
    Components: forest troll bone meal, ettercap tongues, giant eagle blood, efreet horns, goblin bone meal.

Method: After seeing the volume of the first shipment (I still have a barrel-full of beaks, if anyone wants them), the second was quite a disappointment. It left little to work with, though I believe I have created a creature of genuine utility, by a method easily replicated by any journeyman-arcanist.

First, you mix the blood and bone meal into a paste. Both giant eagles and forest trolls are magical creatures, and when mixed in this way, the echoes of their animating spirits will ignite, creating a sort of ersatz soul. Now you must act quickly, for the paste will try to escape from the mixing bowl. Before it does, pour it into a hollowed-out efreet horn and seal it shut with an ettercap tongue.

You will now see the creature writhe around uncontrollably for some minutes. I have determined the cause of this to be a sort of philosophical struggle between the goodness in the creature's blood and the evil that is ingrained in all of its other parts. Once the struggle is resolved, the snail will tend to attack any living creature it sees (I am not yet sure how it is able to see, but it very clearly does). Therefore it is advisable to imprison them as soon as the writhing commences.

Results: A death snail's appearance varies depending on the horn it was made from. Some are long and thing, others stubby and yet others curled into spirals. Regardless of shape, all are resistant to fire (despite their bodies being made from trolls), because their shells are made from efreet horn. Most are between 6 and 10 inches long. They possess a malign intellect, but desire only to bring death to all things. Death snails are vicious, attacking anyone they meet with their venomous tongues.

Death snails feed on blood, in much the same way as leeches.

Show
    Death Snail
    Tiny monstrosity, neutral evil

Armour Class 14 (natural armour)
    Hit Points 16 (3d4 + 9)
    Speed 10 ft., climb 10 ft.

STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
    14 (+2) 6 (-2) 16 (+3) 10 (+0) 11 (+0) 6 (-2)

Damage Resistance Fire
    Senses blindsight 30ft. (blind beyond this radius), passive Perception 10
    Languages -
    Challenge 1/4 (50 XP)

Actions

Leech. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 4 (1d4 + 2) piercing damage plus 4 (1d8) poison damage. The target must succeed on a DC 13 Constitution saving throw or be poisoned for 1 minute. The creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.

Quite pleased with this one. It's partly inspired by a monster from Shadow Hearts: Covenant - that's where the name comes from. I believe the stat block above is roughly on par with the options for Find Familiar / Pact of the Chain as well, which is an added bonus if anyone wants a creepy, psychotic snail familiar.
    Last edited by Ninja_Prawn; 2015-08-02 at 05:16 AM.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm posting my first one! I also wanted to point out to Eldan that he was correct on his beast's CR, I came up with a 2.9 using the formula I use. So 3 is perfect.

Components: A cask of giant nautilus bones, A component pouch of troll bone dust, a firkin of toad bile [just googled firkin, that's quite a bit!]

Batrachian Abomination

Size/Type: Huge Aberration
    Hit Dice: 16d8+112 (184 hp)
    Initiative: 3
    Speed: 60 ft (12 squares), swim 50ft
    Armor Class: 22 (-2 size,-1 dex, +15 natural ), touch 7, flat-footed 22
    Base Attack/Grapple: +12/+29
    Attack: Bite +19 melee (2d6+9)
    Full Attack: Bite +19 melee (2d6+9) and 10 Tentacles +14 melee (1d6+4)
    Space/Reach: 15ft,10ft (20ft with tentacles)
    Special Attacks: Constrict, Improved grab
    Special Qualities: Regeneration 10 (fire/acid), Amphibious
    Saves: Fort +14, Ref +6, Will +9
    Abilities: Str 29, Dex 8, Con 24, Int 1, Wis 9, Cha 4
    Skills: Jump +31, Tumble +1
    Feats: , Great fortitude, Improved initiative, Lightning reflexes, Power attack, Skill focus (jump), run
    Environment: Any non-arctic
    Organization: Solitary (Unique)
    Challenge Rating: 12
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Neutral
    Advancement: no (unique)
    Level Adjustment: -
    In the distance you see something tremendous and froglike, as it hops towards you in great bounds, it's true features have become apparent. It's skin is a sickly greenish grey, it's mouth is adorned with many spike tipped tentacles, and it seems extremely hungry

The batrachian abomination is...unique, this is fortunate as most that cross it's path die rather quick. The beast is nearly impossible to sedate, and it's flesh seems to regrow even if it is killed temporarily.

Combat
    The creature lunges at whatever it can and attempts to eat it.

Constrict (Ex):
    Those grappled by the Batrachian Abomination take 2d6+9 damage per round as they are constricted by the tentacles coming from it's mouth.

Improved Grab (Ex):
    The Batrachian Abomination can, as a free action try to start a grapple if it has hit with one of it's tentacles
    Last edited by inuyasha; 2015-08-03 at 02:50 PM.
    Come post a magic item to show that not all unique items are immensely powerful tools of the gods!

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

trophies
    The photo got removed, but I'm a silver trophy winner of Pathfinder Grab Bag XII: of Dungeons and Dragons

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Experiment 3: The Winged Haunter
    Components: harpy bile, nymph blood, purple worm digestive juice, dire wolf urine, howler spinal fluid.

Method: Having been provided with a diverse array of carafes, decanters and beakers filled with reeking juices, I was immediately minded to combine them into some kind of ooze or jelly. In particular, I was keen to make use of the highly potent purple worm acid to create a stronger variety of ooze.

Unfortunately, I left the mixture unattended overnight and Rasan, one of my apprentices, mistook it for an experimental potion. At least, that is what I have inferred from the subsequent developments.

Results: I believe that Rasan died within moments of ingesting the mixture - the purple worm acid will surely have eaten away his innards and inflicted various other grisly tortures. The creature continues to live, however. Therefore, I conclude that it is an undead, animated either by the enchantments I placed on the mixture, or by some spell cast by Rasan before he died.

Now this monster prowls the rooftops by night - for it has sprouted feathered wings and developed a hunger for flesh (unless there was more to Rasan than I realised). Its vocalisations are most distinctive, being a sort of cross between a piercing howl and a seductive siren-song. Those who hear it are subjected to a powerful psychic effect that leaves them stunned and confused for several minutes.

The townsfolk have taken to calling it the Winged Haunter, presumably because of its eerie song. Those who have sighted it claim that it is covered in dark brown fur, and that it prefers to hunt human babies.

I remain hopeful that this episode will end well, however. The Haunter's legend has already begun to spread and should draw all manner of adventuresome folk to the region, who will surely be able to supply me with more monster components for my experiments!

Show
    Winged Haunter
    Medium undead, chaotic evil

Armour Class 12
    Hit Points 45 (7d8 + 14)
    Speed 30 ft., fly 40 ft.

STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
    15 (+2) 15 (+2) 14 (+2) 10 (+0) 11 (+0) 12 (+1)

Skills Perception +2, Stealth +4
    Damage Resistances Acid, Necrotic, Poison
    Senses darkvision 60ft., passive Perception 12
    Languages Common, Infernal
    Challenge 2 (450 XP)

Innate Spellcasting. The winged haunter's innate spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 11; +3 to hit). The winged haunter can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:

At will: Chill Touch, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, Ray of Frost
    1/day: False Life, Fog Cloud, Magic Missile

Actions

Multiattack. The winged haunter makes two attacks with its claws.

Claws. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (2d4 + 2) slashing damage.

Haunting Song. The winged haunter sings a magical melody. Every humanoid within 100 feet of the haunter that can hear the song must succeed on a DC 11 Wisdom saving throw or be incapacitated and have its movement speed halved until the song ends. The haunter must take a bonus action on its subsequent turns to continue singing, though it can stop singing at any time. The song ends if the winged haunter is incapacitated.
    A creature subjected to this effect may repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns. If the saving throw is successful, the effect ends on it. A target that successfully saves is immune to the haunter's song for the next 24 hours.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

13. - Top - End - #13

I don't see how the Batrachian Abomination could be such a high CR, really. Yes, I know, giants and such go that high too, but this thing doesn't actually do much, does it? It's big and strong, but it has no powers, no magic, no ranged attacks, it can't even fly.

14. - Top - End - #14

I like the experimental description style. Allow me to steal it.

Day 1
    I today subscribed to a service delivering monster parts for do-it-yourself fleshcrafting, run by The Mentalist, which struck me as a rather strange name for a biothurge, but we'll see what comes of that.

Day 2
    Prompt delivery, even if I suspect I got what are probably leftovers. Delivery includes:
    1 (one) jar of powdered basilisk spine
    1 (one) pouch of giant bee pollen
    1 (one) cask of powdered frost giant bone meal

Three powders, no flesh. I'll start tomorrow, this will get interesting.

Day 3
    I was tempted to cast the bone powders into a mold to try and cast a skeleton that way, but curiosity got the better of me. Instead, I carefully mixed the powders with three ounces of vis vitae and six drops of quintessence, before connecting it to a six-stack battery in a lead-glass container.

Day 4
    Seems promising. The powder has formed a small cloud, perhaps fist sized. It emits a buzzing sound and shows some response to movement and heat.

Day 5:
    It seems my vis vitae is spoiled, as the creature is clearly undead. There are now frost flowers in the tank, as the creature seems to emit a chilling aura. To prevent further growth, I have disconnected the batteries. Experimentally, I tried feeding a mouse to the dust. At first, nothing happened, but then the visibly terrified mouse inhaled some of the dust and, over the course of several minutes, was turned to stone. Interestingly, a rather nice-looking white lily then began to bloom on the stone, I assume a relic of the bee pollen used in the creation.

Bonedust Haunt
    Size/Type: Diminutive undead (Swarm, cold)
    Hit Dice: 3d12 (19 hp)
    Initiative: +2
    Speed: 5 ft. (1 square), fly 40 ft. (good)
    Armor Class: 16 (+4 size, +2 Dex), touch 14, flat-footed 12
    Base Attack/Grapple: +2/—
    Attack: Dust (1d6 cold and petrifying)
    Full Attack: Swarm (1d6 cold and petrifying)
    Space/Reach: 10 ft./0 ft.
    Special Attacks: Distraction, petrification
    Special Qualities: Blindsense 20 ft., immune to weapon damage, low-light vision, swarm traits, gaseous
    Saves: Fort +3, Ref +7, Will +3
    Abilities: Str 3, Dex 15, Con --, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 4
    Skills: Listen +11, Spot +11
    Feats: Alertness, Lightning Reflexes
    Environment: Cold or underground
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: 3
    Alignment: Always neutral evil
    Advancement: None

Petrification: Any target hit by the bonedust haunt's swarm attack takes one point of dexterity damage in addition to the normal cold damage. If a creature's dexterity is reduced to 0 this way, it is petrified. If the creature is still petrified 24 hours later, white lillies will begin to grow on the stone.

Distraction (Ex) Any living creature that begins its turn with a swarm in its space must succeed on a DC 11 Fortitude save or be nauseated for 1 round. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Blindsense (Ex) A bonedust haunt notices and locates creatures within 20 feet. Opponents still have total concealment against the swarm (but swarm attacks ignore concealment).
    Last edited by Eldan; 2015-08-02 at 10:52 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Experiment 4: The Sylvan Colossus
    Components: cask of elf tears, pouch of pixie dust, sack of powdered unicorn horn, camel livers preserved in gnoll blood, bugbear bone meal.

Method: Another curious shipment. Exquisite quality, but even I have some reservations working with elves' tears and unicorn horn. Who is the Supplier? What do they want? I shall make inquiries.

Results: I discarded the camel livers straight away. Worth more as fodder for the other experiments than a component for this. As I had predicted, however, the recent influx of adventurers has glutted the market with monster components (and attracted a number of rivals... I shall deal with them shortly). I was able to procure a stone giant carcass, whole, from a band of half-orcs - and at a laughable price, due to my laboratory being the only one big enough to handle it!

Rather than raise the giant as a zombie, I transfused a serum based on the elf tears and unicorn horn into its veins. Using some of the pixie dust instead of my usual focus, I then animated the giant, avoiding any necromancy. The rest of the dust was poured into the giant's braincase (which had been cut open by some barabaric slashing implement), while the bugbear bonemeal was used to repair some damaged bones. Fearing that the repairs would not be sufficient to support the giant's bulk, I supplemented them with magical enchantments.

Included below is a sketch of the giant. I find the background somewhat fanciful, but I suppose it would not be so terrifying to my enemies if they saw it chained up in a dungeon.

Postscript: I finally tracked down Rasan's remains yesterday. He will be buried with due respect in my mausoleum.

Spoiler: Sketch
    Show

Show
    Sylvan Colossus
    Huge giant, chaotic neutral

Armour Class 18 (natural armour)
    Hit Points 138 (12d12 + 60)
    Speed 40 ft.

STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
    23 (+6) 17 (+3) 20 (+5) 10 (+0) 13 (+1) 12 (+1)

Skills Athletics +12, Perception +4, Stealth +9
    Senses darkvision 60ft., passive Perception 14
    Languages Giant, Sylvan
    Challenge 8 (3,900 XP)

Magic Resistance. The sylvan colossus has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.

Magic Weapons. The sylvan colossus' weapon attacks are magical.

Swamp Camouflage. The sylvan colossus has advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks made to hide in swampy terrain.

Innate Spellcasting. The sylvan colossus' innate spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 12; +4 to hit). It can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:

At will: Dancing Lights, Druidcraft
    1/day: Confusion, Conjure Woodland Beings, Cure Wounds III (self only), Detect Thoughts, Entangle, Pass Without Trace, Phantasmal Force, Teleport

Actions

Multiattack. The sylvan colossus makes two attacks with its fist.

Fist. Melee Weapon Attack: +9 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 19 (3d8 + 6) bludgeoning damage.

Javelin. Ranged Weapon Attack: +9 to hit, range 60/240ft., one target. Hit: 27 (6d6 + 6) piercing damage.

Superior Invisibility. The sylvan colossus magically turns invisible until its concentration ends (as if concentrating on a spell). Any equipment the colossus wears or carries is invisible with it.
    Last edited by Ninja_Prawn; 2018-02-28 at 10:47 AM.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Updates have been made to the Batrachian Abomination, CR is reduced to 12, and it has 20ft. reach with it's tentacles instead of 10.

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

trophies

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Wow, the generator is amazing, let's see what other abominations we can come up with!

18. - Top - End - #18

Got a weird one though I lost most of the page to an accidental refresh. It came up with a barrel of ogre testes preserved in alcohol, half an hour later after some light research I came up with this. Bear in mind these are a lot of the effects of testosterone amped up for a fantasy setting.

Giant Egged [Acquired Template]
    This template may be added to any animal, humanoid or monstrous humanoid of medium size or smaller. Apply the following changes to the base creature.

+2 Strength and Constitution per 3Hit Dice
    Grow a thick coat of hair across most of the body as well as very dense bones granting a +1 Natural Armor bonus per 2 Hit Dice
    The creature may Rage as a Barbarian of its Hit Dice as well as gaining a Haste effect while doing so.
    +1 morale bonus on opposed rolls based on Strength, Dexterity or Constitution for every 2 Hit Dice of the base creature.

-1 Wisdom and Charisma for every 3 HD

Will probably be doing more graft style ones in future. Have Treant leaves/bark and phoenix feathers on the other tab right now.

19. - Top - End - #19

You should put a minimum on that wisdom. Also, a penalty per HD seems a bit strange.

20. - Top - End - #20

Shipment: Vial of kraken tears, ultroloth eyes, an entire barrel of dragon's blood, a solid rainbow, and a pickled aboleth tentacle.

So I, uh, stink at making monsters, so if anyone else wants to make something with this, the suggestion is there.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

*What follows is the last entry from the diary of Fongledoon "Pinkie" Moffic, recovered from the ruins of his laboratory.*

Experiment 5: Ayaretu
    Components: Vial of kraken tears, ultroloth eyes, an entire barrel of dragon's blood, a solid rainbow, and a pickled aboleth tentacle.

Method: What a shipment! Such rare and powerful components... it will be the greatest chimaera in history!

Started with the solid rainbow. Had to call in a smith to hammer it out, in the end, as it was unresponsive to my magics. Anyway. Formed it into a giant tube, like a serpent. Filled it with dragon blood. The thing sprouted wings, all on its own! Attached the aboleth tentacle (slimy business, that. recommend leather gloves +2 as a minimum). A second one grew spontaneously!

Monster is moving now, but I must press on! Built a head out of scraps, added three ultroloth eyes, filled the sockets with kraken tears. It is growing now, with no input from myself...

Results: I must record this, before it destroys the laboratory! So hard to focus, though... I can hear it screaming, silent.

Ayaretu

It is a rainbow-wyrm... at least 30 feet long... two wings, four tentacles.

It wants... she wants... I understand now. The supplier... he planned it al______

*The rest of the page is filled with indecipherable scrawlings and eldritch symbols of unknown meaning. There is no trace of the monster, save a trail of destruction.*

Show
    Ayaretu
    Gargantuan aberration, chaotic evil

Armour Class 23 (natural armour)
    Hit Points 402 (25d20 + 140)
    Speed 40 ft., fly 80 ft. (hover)

STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
    21 (+5) 16 (+3) 25 (+7) 20 (+5) 15 (+2) 23 (+6)

Saving Throws Dex +10, Con +14, Wis +9, Cha +13
    Skills Intimidation +13, Perception +9, Persuasion +13
    Damage Resistances acid, cold, fire, lightning, poison, bludgeoning, piercing and slashing from nonmagical weapons
    Condition Immunities charmed, frightened, petrified
    Senses truesight 60ft., darkvision 120ft., passive Perception 19
    Languages Common, Deep Speech, Draconic, Primordial, Telepathy 120 ft.
    Challenge 23 (50,000 XP)

Legendary Resistance (3/day). If Ayaretu fails a saving throw, she can choose to succeed instead.

Magic Resistance. Ayaretu has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.

Magic Weapons. Ayaretu's weapon attacks are magical.

Actions

Multiattack. Ayaretu makes five attacks: one with her bite and four with her tentacles.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +12 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 18 (3d8 + 5) bludgeoning damage.

Tentacle. Melee Weapon Attack: +12 to hit, reach 10ft., one target. Hit: 12 (2d6 + 5) bludgeoning damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 22 Constitution saving throw or become diseased. The disease has no effect for 1 minute and can be removed by any magic that cures disease. After 1 minute, the diseased creature's skin becomes translucent and slimy, the creature can't regain hit points unless it is underwater, and the disease can be removed only by Heal or another disease-curing spell of 6th level or higher. When the creature is outside a body of water, it takes 6 (1d12) acid damage every 10 minutes unless moisture is applied to the skin before 10 minutes have passed.

Tail. Melee Weapon Attack: +12 to hit, reach 10ft., one target. Hit: 15 (3d6 + 5) bludgeoning damage.

Prismatic Breath (Recharge 5-6). Ayaretu exhales a 90-foot cone of multicoloured light. Each creature in that area must make a DC 22 Dexterity saving throw. For each target, roll a d8 to determine the effects.
    1. Red. The target takes 23d6 fire damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
    2. Orange. The target takes 23d6 acid damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
    3. Yellow. The target takes 23d6 lightning damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
    4. Green. The target takes 23d6 poison damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
    5. Blue. The target takes 23d6 cold damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
    6. Indigo. On a failed save, the target is restrained. It must then make a Constitution saving throw at the end of each of its turns. If it successfully saves three times, the spell ends. If it fails its save three times, it permanently turns to stone and is subjected to the petrified condition. The successes and failures don’t need to be consecutive; keep track of both until the target collects three of a kind.
    7. Violet. On a failed save, the target is blinded. It must then make a Wisdom saving throw at the start of your next turn. A successful save ends the blindness. If it fails that save, the creature is transported to another plane of existence of the DM’s choosing and is no longer blinded. (Typically, a creature that is on a plane that isn’t its home plane is banished home, while other creatures are usually cast into the Astral or Ethereal planes.)
    8. Special. The target is struck by two rays. Roll twice more, re-rolling any 8.

Hypnotic Gaze. Ayaretu's eyes sparkle with opalescent light as she targets one creature she can see within 30 feet of her. If the target can see Ayaretu, it must succeed on a DC 21 Wisdom saving throw against this magic or be charmed until the end of Ayaretu's next turn. The charmed target is stunned. If the target's saving throw is successful, the target is immune to Ayaretu's gaze for the next 24 hours.

Legendary Actions

Ayaretu can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature's turn. Ayaretu regains spent legendary actions at the start of her turn.

Detect. Ayaretu makes a Wisdom (Perception) check.

Fly. Ayaretu flies up to 40 feet in any direction.

Tail Swipe. Ayaretu makes one tail attack.

Wing Attack (Costs 2 Actions). Ayaretu beats her wings. Each creature within 15 feet of Ayaretu must succeed on a DC 20 Dexterity saving throw or take 12 (2d6 + 5) bludgeoning damage and be knocked prone. Ayaretu can then fly up to half her flying speed.

Question for 5e folks:
    Do you agree with the CR on this? I'm a little concerned that it doesn't take into account the disease, hypnosis, wing attack or violet ray...
    Last edited by Ninja_Prawn; 2015-08-05 at 06:45 AM.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

22. - Top - End - #22

New ingredient shipment:

-A child's favorite stuffed bear
    -Lion claws
    -Ghoul tears
    -A complete skin of elf
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

I gotcha man!

Spoiler: Story
    Show
    Simple...sweet...innocent...and emotional. The spirit of a child pried from his favorite possession should make the perfect infiltrator into the little society of winthorp. The fey spirits should elevate it to great magical power, granting it grace beyond what is normal. As fey are hard to locate, the skin of an elf should do...The child's return to the mortal coil will be weak, so the sharp claws of the lion should grant it vim and vigor! To bind it as my creation from beyond the grave I shall add these tears of a ghoul...
    This was the original thought of a foul necromancer, the first person to ever create a deathsprite.

Show
    Deathsprite

Size/Type: Small Undead (Evil)
    Hit Dice: 4d12+0 (26 hp)
    Initiative: 3
    Speed: 30 ft (6 squares), fly 20ft(Perfect)
    Armor Class: 18 (+1 size,+3 dex, +4 natural), touch 14, flat-footed 15
    Base Attack/Grapple: +2/-1
    Attack: claw +4 melee (1d6+1)
    Full Attack: 2 claws +4 melee (1d6+1) and bite -1 melee (1d8+0 plus Paralysis)
    Space/Reach: 5ft/5ft
    Special Attacks: Rend, Paralysis
    Special Qualities: DR 5/cold iron, SR 12, Immune to cold, Vulnerable to fire, fey-like form
    Saves: Fort +1, Ref +4, Will +5
    Abilities: Str 12, Dex 16, Con -, Int 11, Wis 13, Cha 9
    Skills: Hide +14, Intimidate +6, Jump +8, Move Silently +10, Tumble +5
    Feats: Power attack, ability focus (paralysis)
    Environment: Any
    Organization: Solitary, Group (3-5), party (6-10)
    Challenge Rating: 4
    Alignment: Always neutral evil
    Advancement: 5-12 HD small
    Level Adjustment: -
    As you turn the corner, you find a room which is in complete and utter discombobulation, many children are around the room excitedly throwing birthday party for a child in the middle. You notice all of their backs are turned, then they begin to turn and look at you. Their forms are pale, their nails are long, blackened and sharp a their faces are smooth with desiccated mouths that seem to stretch much too large.

Combat:
    Deathsprites seem physically like they would be ill suited for combat, anyone who fights such a creature however, immediately disagrees with their previous thought.

Rend (Ex):
    If a Deathsprite hits with both claw attacks, it's powerful claws latch on and tear at flesh, dealing 2d6+1 points of damage automatically.

Paralysis (Su):
    Those hit by a Deathsprite's bite attack must make a fortitude save (DC 13) or be paralysed for 1d4+1 rounds.

Fey-like form (Ex):
    For all intents and purposes a Deathsprite counts as a creature of the fey type, this includes for the purposes of spells, feats, magic items, and favored enemy bonuses, the interaction of positive and negative energy on one is like that of an undead however.

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

trophies

24. - Top - End - #24
    Halfling in the Playground

Chimera

A new wizards guild seems to have set up shop in your area!

It seems they have some spare... "parts" for your... "purposes."

a barrel of Wyvern blood
    a small chest of phoenix feathers
    a cask of Wyvern claws packed in steel filings and powder
    a basket of leopard bones packed in pistachio shells
    a keg of cloud giant brains preserved in brine
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Firbolg in the Playground

And it's time for my namesake alchemist character (who built creatures without magical skills) to take a crack at this.

I'm going to take half an entire generation (15 items total) and use what it generates in packets of 3-5 items (picked from those present) at a time. Meaning you'll see about 3-5 creatures here.

Spoiler: Monster Parts
    Show
    1) a jar of powdered Dragon tooth

2) a leather sack of powdered ogre bone meal

3) a canister of powdered chuul chitin

4) a large glass jar of giant bee reproductive organs preserved in clear gelatin

5) a barrel of remorhaz scales packed in rice

6) a small bottle of solar blood

7) a cask of nymph blood

8) a large bottle of aranea eyes preserved in alcohol

9) a keg of hobgoblin brains preserved in alcohol

10) a small chest of giant eagle feathers

11) a large glass jar of kobold hearts preserved in ether

12) a wineskin of destrachan blood

14) a sample tube of troglodyte urine

15) A small chest of goblin hair

Spoiler: Overly Elaborate Creation Process and Fluff for Combination #1
    Show
    2) a leather sack of powdered ogre bone meal
    4) a large glass jar of giant bee reproductive organs preserved in clear gelatin
    8) a large bottle of aranea eyes preserved in alcohol
    15) A small chest of goblin hair

With a sigh, the half-elf known as Edro unloaded the carts, his first creation aiding him in the task, the small, imp-like undead he called Velik. A few yards away was his lab, where the various creature parts were destined to go and be worked into creature form.

"Velik, leave the chest on the lab table, I have an idea for those hairs," he called out to his assistant, who was munching on yet another bug that had found its way into his mouth "The bone meal and eyes too."

That said, he paid the deliverer and went into the lab, Velik putting the bone meal onto the table next to the chest and bottle of eyes. The table was covered in glassware, like any alchemist's lab table would be, but half of it was cleared for now, allowing Edro to work. And so he did. Grabbing a mortar and pestle, he took five of the preserved eyes and placed them in the stone bowl, lighting them to diffuse the alcohol that preserved them, before mashing them into a paste while the flames still burned. The heat singed the hairs on his hand, but was quickly extinguished as the fuel burned away and the vitreous of the eyeballs being ground extinguished the rest. The flames cleansed the vitreous for alchemical purposes, distilling the magic inherent in the beast to a purer state.

He poured off the liquid from the remaining solids and set the solids over a low flame to dry for the time being. The dark, but transparent, liquid that was aranea vitreous was mixed with two drops of an alchemical reagent that would empower the magic without aligning it in any particular way as well as a drop of quicksilver.

A few minutes to properly clean and dry his mortar and pestle and he took five measures of the ogre bone meal, adding it to the mortar with a single measure of the now desiccated and powdered eye solids and three measures of bloodcap spores. A few drops of morning dew and hallowed sap from a thousand year willow easily mixed together to form a thick paste that was then added to the vitreous. After mixing it was far thinner. Letting the mixture sit for the moment, Edro began to extract and untangle the goblin hairs in the chest.

"Velik, please bring over the jar of bee organs and the syringe," he called to the bone imp as he worked to sort the hairs. This was a simple, but labor intensive aspect of this particular bit of fleshcraft, but it would work. Hopefully.

Taking the jar and syringe from Velik, Edro plunged the needle through the gelatin and extracted some of the juices from the bee reproductive organ, which was then identified as a bee egg, unfertilized. That was... disappointing. Edro sighed and cut the organ out of the jar, then in half, extracting one of the few eggs unmarred by the process, though still marred by time. That was easily fixable. Using a different syringe, Edro injected a single drop of the Elixir of Life, a potion that extended the human lifespan by a year, however, a single drop would cure disease and revitalize almost anything, including the egg. The rest were extracted, similarly treated, and set with the other.

The next step would have been something else if not for the eggs, but Edro used a third syringe to inject a small amount of the vitreous and bone meal mixture into each of the giant bee eggs, most of which went into an incubator, but one of which stayed behind as he took on the most time consuming aspect of this operation. Painstakingly dipping each and every goblin hair into the vitreous and bone meal mixture and braiding it into a set of strings, then woven into yarn, then cord, then finally rope. Then came the remaining bee egg. Applying a weak solvent to the outside, it was liquefied and mixed with a starch. The resulting mixture was then used to treat the rope of goblin hair, seeming to melt it all together and form a waxy coating, before expanding into a new, black egg.

This black "egg" was placed into an incubator, separate from the rest of the bee eggs.

Days later, the bee eggs showed signs of growth, but the black egg dwarfed them, it was already "hatching", the creature that had formed from it finally uncoiling the shell of keratin strands, which had taken on a slight blue coloration with time. It was still dark enough to mistake for black however.

It got into the incubator with the bee eggs and ate every last one a few days after it emerged, decimating the creatures, but seeming to take on traits of what the eggs would have been. Now roughly the size of Edro's head, the larval creature showed a strong resemblance to a combination of bee and spider, except where its abdomen would be were the keratin strands that were previously nothing more than goblin hair, flexible enough to use for fine manipulation and hard enough to act as a shield in a pinch, and it could weave more. Edro had already collected enough thread to make an entire suit from the fibers. The magic from the aranea had seemingly infused into the fibers, magically reinforcing them.

Spoiler: First Creation: Keramite
    Show
    Size/Type: Tiny Magical Beast
    HD: 3d10+3 (19 hp)
    Init: +2
    Spd: 30ft, Climb 20ft
    AC: 16 (+2 Size, +2 Dex, +1 Natural, +1 Shield), Touch 14, Flat-Footed 14
    BAB/Grp: +3/-7
    Attack: Threads +5 Melee (1d4)
    Full Attack: Bite +5 Melee (1d3-2 plus Poison) and 2 Threads +0 Melee (1d4)
    Space/Reach: 2 - 1/2ft / 0ft (5ft with Threads)
    SA: Poison
    SQ: Darkvision 60ft, Keramite Threads, Low-Light Vision
    Saves: Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +2
    Abilities: Str 6, Dex 15, Con 13, Int 3, Wis 13, Cha 11
    Skills: Balance +2, Climb +10, Craft (Weaving) +4, Hide +10, Jump +2, Listen +1, Move Silently +10, Spot +5, Survival +1, Swim -2
    Feats: , Weapon Finesse*
    Environment: -
    Organization: Solitary (Unique)
    CR: 2
    Advancement: 3-6 (Tiny), 7-9 (Small)
    LA: -

*Bonus Feat

Keramite is the creation of the alchemist Edro Grimshell in a well documented process. Since the first, nearly a dozen more such creatures have been created for the threads they produce, however, not all were as friendly as the Keramite their predecessor had created, leading to their escape into the wild. More have been spotted, but it is speculated that Keramite breed slowly, a good thing as they have proven quite the challenge for some.

Combat
    Keramite is a gentle creature, but dangerous when provoked. Keramite uses its strands for offense, but will dart in with its poison bite to weaken foes.

Keramite Threads (Ex): Keramite is defending by strands of exceptionally tough, alchemically reinforced keratin, granting it a +1 shield bonus as it defends with these strands and acting as natural weapons. These strands can be used for fine manipulation just as human hands can.

Keramite also weaves and sheds these strands with time. Clothing made from Keramite's strands are highly resilient, increasing their hardness by 2 and granting a +1 armor bonus that stacks with other forms of armor.

Poison (Ex): Injury, Fortitude DC 12, initial damage 1d3 Dex and secondary damage 2d3 Dex. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Keramite poison can be harvested with a DC 15 Intelligence Check and refined with a DC 20 Craft (Poisonmaking) check. The refining process increases the DC to 13 and makes the poison degrade slowly enough to be stored for a few months before being rendered useless. Harvesting poison from a keramite removes this ability for 24-hours.

Skills: Keramite has a +4 racial bonus to Spot checks and a +8 racial bonus to Climb and Move Silently checks. Keramite can always choose to take 10 on Climb checks, even if rushed or threatened. Keramites has a +8 racial bonus to Craft (Weaving) checks. Keramite uses its Dexterity modifier instead of its Strength modifier for Climb and Jump checks.
    Last edited by EdroGrimshell; 2015-09-01 at 04:23 PM.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by GFawkes View Post
    You didn't poke fate with a stick. You set fate on fire, then whacked it with a 2x4 several times.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackwind1kaze View Post
    good thing they did body attribute instead of Physical attribute, otherwise the stats would look like:

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

The Hub, for PTA & PTU community building. If you're interested, take a look.