Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Last, Best Hope for the Hollow [IC]

The back room of Roots and Remedies is, to put it mildly, cramped. Boxes, jars bushels and barrels line the walls and cover much of the floor, many full of herbal ingredients but a few quite obviously running low. After leading you here, Nomett, Laurel’s youngest son, busied himself making a pot of tea which he left in the centre of the large table before offering an apologetic smile and hurrying off to help with another of the hundred or so tasks that need doing before the day is out.

The smells of the herbs combine to create an effect that, while somewhat overwhelming, is not unpleasant. Hints of pine and mint overlay other more earthy smells and make the air a little fresher than the single small window by the back door would normally allow.

The oak table in the centre of the room seems to do double duty as a workbench and a dining table, various herbs and the tools for their preparation are scattered around, swept hurriedly aside by Nomett to make space for the enormous teapot. He promised as he left that she would be with you as soon as she could, but you can’t help but suspect that even if Laurel doesn’t arrive until dusk, there is absolutely no chance of anyone going thirsty.

A dozen chairs and stools are scattered around the room, and aside from the occasional coughing fit audible from the front room and the ever-present birdsong outside, the room is quiet. It seems that for now you have little to do but wait.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Feel free to RP a bit here. No shortage of places to sit or tea to drink, but I wouldn’t recommend nibbling on any of the things in barrels.

Might be an idea to come up with obvious things you want to know about the plague, town, cure etc. and I’ll address them in the next post when Laurel arrives.

By the way, does anyone know Laurel personally in their backstories? Just for flavour.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Last, Best Hope for the Hollow [IC]

Murklur sits gruffly on a stool at the edge of the room, as only a dwarf of his age and experience can, somehow conveying his perpetual grouchiness and bad attitude with his body position. Flanking his body on either hip are his waraxe and dagger, each sharper than the other. His scale mail armor is also well maintained and polished. He is a creature who takes good care of his tools, a care which does not extend to his person or appearance. Anyone close enough to smell him can detect the unmistakable odors of sweat and alcohol, each competing to overpower the senses, and when he opens his mouth to let out a loud and derisive laugh at the idea of tea, a wary observer can detect graying teeth and swollen gums, hallmarks of poor dental hygiene to match his beliefs about bathing. Beneath his armor his clothing appears ragged and torn at the joints, and when he raises his left arm to scratch his armpit with his right hand, the same wary observer might note the thicket of wiry hair poking through a whole in his shirt at the pit of his arm, just above the armor. "Damnit, Nomett," he barks, "I've been waiting long enough. Tell Laurel if she wants my help, she'd best make herself apparent, and quick."
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Sophia sits down as far away from the rather... fragrant, dwarf as she can without appearing rude. She catches hold of Odétte's tunic and glares at the younger woman until she sits down as well. Leaning forward, she reaches for the tea pot and beings to pour.

"Does anyone else want some?"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

"Yes, thank you," Kaytu replies, standing up straight to watch over the other visitors. On the one hand, it's clearly a dangerous group, but between her green and gold belt-sheath and the bow strapped to her pack on the floor, she is in no position to criticize anyone for being armed to the teeth.

Though not wanting to reward the dwarf's impatience, she does share some of his concern. "I saw the crowd outside... are you sure your mother doesn't need help out there, Nomett?"
    Mina, Lynera, Ajax, Vena.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Odétte sits next to Sophia without argument, eager to free her Tunic from her best friend's grasp as she looks back at her. Odéttes glare is sharp when challenged, perhaps even coming off as a tad vindictive.
    Suddenly, her face softened and she smiled before the others, a courtesy suitable of a fine lady."Ouais, a cup for me, s'il vous plaît."
    --------------
    As she sips her tea, Lady De Mont casually inquires.
    "So, tis plague... How long has it been here, and what happens to people who get it?"
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Jette View Post
    If you write gibberish in common, even comprehend languages won't turn it into a sonnet.
    P.Z. - gamer; friend; royalty. 'Tis a pleasure.
    <<Cynthia the Witch by me. she's a nice gal, I promise!

My player Resume, for potential DMs to read over.

My Extended Signature

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

"Yes please, sahib," Kim says, bowing to Sophia. He sips his tea and listens to the woman with the Giant accent. "Yes, I have heard very little, does anyone know? Also what might I call all of you honored sirs and madams?"
    To know that just one life has breathed easier because you have lived, that is to have succeeded.

Wonderful Faithatar by smuchmuch

My meager homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    Chivalry (n): A willingness to find excuses to beat people up.

7. - Top - End - #7

Nomett pauses at the door back to the passage and shop floor, “Mama said she’ll be with you as soon as she can Master Swiftfoot,” he says addressing Murklur. At Kaytu’s interjection, his little face breaks into a toothy grin, “Mama said you’d say that Mistress Marta... Maath,” his mouth works wordlessly for a moment before he blurts out, “Miss Kaytu!” Looking slightly bashful, he continues, “She said, you gotta spend a little time sitting down drinking tea, I’ll go help her.”

With that, said with the self-importance only young children can muster, he scampers off, leaving you alone. The noise of the crowd in the front room intrudes for a moment as he squeezes through the door, but then fades, leaving you in relative peace and quiet.

Five, maybe ten minutes go by, before the door slams open again, a tall woman marches through, shouting back over her shoulder, “I don’t care what yer old mother told ya silly old bodger! It ain’t flu, and even if it was we used up the last of our honeyroot last week! Now you stand in line with all the other nice folk and wait yer damn turn! Elsie’ll get to you soon enough!” She spins away from the door, slamming it shut behind her and stomps into the room like some sort of genial hurricane, herbs and scraps of root and bark scattering in her wake.

Laurel Thatcher was never a small woman, even now in her fifties she still holds herself upright just a hair short of six feet in height. What was once golden blond hair is beginning to turn white at the temples, and age is beginning to put lines on what is still a handsome face, but if her unfortunate customer was anything to judge by, Laurel will only get sharper as she gets older.

Seeing the tea pot brings her up short, and she rubs her forehead, “Oh, that little angel...” she trails off, and retrieves a mug from the shelves before pouring her own tea and taking a deep draught. You can almost see tired muscles relax as she sighs happily and sits heavily on one of the free chairs. Without preamble, she begins addressing you, “I’m sorry I kept you all waiting, this whole week has been nothing but one long panic. We’ve now got two hundred and sixteen people confined to their beds, and gods know how many more sick and not showing yet.”

She puts her mug down and leans her elbows on the table, holding her head in her hands, “I don’t know how much you’ve heard already,” she nods to Kaytu, “you probably have a better idea than the rest.” Taking a deep breath, she continues, “Whatever this sickness is, to start with we just thought it was a bout of summer flu or something, but I’ve never known flu like this. One day, you’re up and about, minding your own business, the next, WHAM!” she slams the table for emphasis. “Suddenly you can barely walk straight, you’re fit for little more than maybe a little knitting. A couple days later and your bedridden. After that...” she looks up and around the assembled faces, “they just get worse and worse.”

She stands and walks to the back door, peering outside before closing it carefully, turning back to the room, you can see tears trickling down her face, “Thirty people are already dead and we don’t even know why, we don’t even...” she stops, struggling to find the words. “Nobody ever gets better,” she states flatly, “they only ever get worse.” She stares from face to face, allowing that to sink in for a moment.

She shakes her head to clear it, “I did my training with an old woman from Fjared’s Landing; she still comes into the market there from time to time. She knows more about healing than anyone I know. If anyone can help us, she can. She’s got magic too, more than any of us and quite frankly we’re out of other ideas.” She draws a slightly grubby envelope from a pocket and throws it on the table, “Find her, give her that letter, tell her...” she pauses, searching for the right words, before finishing in a resigned tone, “tell her Laurie really needs some help.”

Show
    Fjared’s Landing is a slightly larger town situated to the north, along the river. Barges carry lumber there before it’s shipped north to the heartland. It’s build on what might be the only solid bit of lowlands for a hundred miles, surrounded as it is on the north, east and west by an enormous swamp.

Oh, and for those who know her personally, Laurel much prefers to be called "Laurie".

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Having done a bit of research Laurel before he entered town, Kim pipes up, "We can most certainly do this Laurie Sahib, how long of a journey shall it be? Can we be of any assistance here? From whence do you think the sickness has come?"
    To know that just one life has breathed easier because you have lived, that is to have succeeded.

My meager homebrew

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

"It's not very far, Kim," Kaytu interjects. The group had at least managed to get each others' names while they were waiting for Laurel. "We would just need to follow the north road along the river."

Kaytu feels a splatter of hot tea on her hand and winces before brushing it off. She at least had the sense to sit down and set her cup on the table when not in use, but she can only avoid the inevitable for so long.

"As for where it came from, it's hard to say, especially since it looks so similar to a flu or simple fatigue at first. If this disease has been seen anywhere else, I've not heard of it."

"Anyway, Laurie, that sounds like a plan; as you say, we're tapped out ourselves. Who are we looking for, exactly?"
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2015-08-06 at 07:43 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Sophia cringes a little at Odétte's words. Despite knowing the other girl cares and considers her a friend, her... careless attitude gets on Sophia's nerves from time to time. She knows perfectly well she's already told Odétte about the plague, and that her parents have both sickened. She isn't really surprised that Odétte has forgotten (or simply wasn't listening in the first place), but it still hurts. She nods as Laurel speaks, but doesn't say anything herself.

11. - Top - End - #11

Murklur is similarly silent, waiting for the response to Kaytu's question before asking, "And if she's not at the market, where else do you want us to look?"
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

12. - Top - End - #12

Nodding as Kaytu responds to the young man’s question, Laurie elaborates, “That’s right. You’d be faster not following the bridle path the whole way though, the Knot Road avoids most of the meanders in the lowlands. It’s a fair few days travel by wagon, but on foot you should be able to manage a quicker pace, even faster with horses. As for where this damn disease is from,” she shrugs, before letting both arms flop to her sides, “Kaytu has the right of it. It took us this long to figure out that it wasn’t something we’d seen before. If it is anywhere else, I hope those folks have a better fix than we do.”

Smiling at his offer of help, she shakes her head sadly, “Believe me, if there was anything you could do here, you’d have been told already. We’re at our wits’ end, and everyone else we can get our hands on is already doing double shifts or more to keep things hanging together. The best thing the five of you can do right now is to go and find help from elsewhere.”

Nodding towards Kaytu, she continues, “My teacher’s name was Mimi, Mimi DeFou. She doesn’t live in the town itself. If I remember right she’s right out on the edge of The Lows, but I don’t know where. I saw her the last time I was at market, a few months back, but she doesn’t come in every week, sometimes not for months. Anyway, market day was only a couple days ago so you’ll have to go find her anyway I should think, we really can’t afford to wait. I’d start at the Haughty Pioneer, she always stays there when she’s in town, see if anyone there knows anything.”

Show
    The Lows is the name of the huge swamp/estuary that surrounds Fjared's Landing, I'll chuck a map in the OOC with more details on this stuff.

The Haughty Pioneer is one of the bigger inns in Fjared's Landing.

Oh, and a jar of internet cookies if you get the rerence in the teacher's name.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Odétte raised an eyebrow. From what she read of the Haughty Pioneer, it was not a place for a lady of high standing, what with such a seedy past and questionable activity. It did not occur to her that she was not a prime example to talk about suspicious activities.
    "Te Haughtie Pionie? I think I read about tat place before. Tey ran a grande smuggling cartelle a long time ago, ouais? 100 years ago, I tink."
    Last edited by Prince Zahn; 2015-08-08 at 05:12 AM.
    If you write gibberish in common, even comprehend languages won't turn it into a sonnet.

My Extended Signature

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

"I have as well, a good place to find bad men, I hope Mimi knows it. Laurie sahib, before we go, my sister helped a man with this disease a month ago, it may not have started as recently as your honored self has heard. Does that change thing?" Kim asks inquisitively.

My meager homebrew

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Odétte spies that her friend is deeply troubled by something...
    Show
    you know, up until now, (until Odétte), I had no problem letting my fellow players look into my character's head and "voice" his/her/it's thoughts. But I don't think I will do THIS with Lady De Mont. My apologies for the inconvenience, but I do not think making my character predictable will make her any more fun for you guys, so unless I have a vestige around, I will probably not be using "thought bubbles".

She takes another sip from her tea before setting it down, slightly burning her tongue due to distraction. She chooses to suffer this routine agony in silence, as her papa taught her.
    She taps Sophia on her shoulder.
    "Em, Sophie, mon Ami - may I have a word with you dans le couloir, plise?*?"
    As she spoke, she intoned her voice and nudged her head and eyes slightly towards the doorway. The word "please " seemed a tad fumbled, but somewhat potentially Charming to others. To Odétte, it strikes a dissonance like a word that does not flow elegantly in a poem.
    Show
    I'm not sure I like Odétte using the word "please", she and I would much prefer she said it in Giant, for some reason she insisted that it was necessary.

My Extended Signature

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Kaytu's teacup rattles from her reaction when Kim mentions his sister's incident. "A month ago? Where was this?"

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

"The local temple sahib. I believe the man, he was local." Kim replies.
    Last edited by SilentNight; 2015-08-09 at 07:05 AM.

My meager homebrew

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Dragged out of her introspection, Sophia startles slightly at Odétte's words. She frowns slightly at the use of 'please', it's not a word Odétte uses very often and only when the girl is upset, annoyed, or offended. Or all three. "Of course," she says, once she's worked her way slowly through Odétte's use of Giant and figured out what the other girl wants. Sophia sits her teacup on the table, and rises, glancing around self-consciously as she does. "Excuse us, please."

Show
    Hopefully, this post doesn't constitute putting words in Odétte's mouth (or thoughts in her mind). I agree that keeping her unpredictable will be way more fun, but I also figured Sophia would know her better... besides, Sophia's thoughts on how and when Odétte says 'please' are entirely her own assumptions and may in fact, have utterly no bearing on the truth (having said that, if I have inadvertently done what you'd rather I didn't, please let me know and I'll modify my post and be more careful in future )

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Moreta View Post
    Hopefully, this post doesn't constitute putting words in Odétte's mouth (or thoughts in her mind). I agree that keeping her unpredictable will be way more fun, but I also figured Sophia would know her better... besides, Sophia's thoughts on how and when Odétte says 'please' are entirely her own assumptions and may in fact, have utterly no bearing on the truth (having said that, if I have inadvertently done what you'd rather I didn't, please let me know and I'll modify my post and be more careful in future )
    You probably would know better than others, yes. I'll keep some of that in mind, but I have no intentions of spelling Odétte out for anyone anymore. If you make guesses, though, like in your post, Moreta, I don't mind as much. In fact I welcome the speculation :3

Go answer your question. Yes, being upset, annoyed and offended are among the reasons for why Odétte would say "please", instead of her more natural "s'il vous plaît" . And while it is an acceptable word in common tongue, she does not like to use it.

Lady De Mont led Sophia into the hallway/stairway (if there is a staircase, she sits down on one and requests Sophia did the same.)
    Spoiler: Sophia
    Show
    Odétte closed her eyes, furrowing her brow as her tongue was sore.
    "Sophia..." she whispered, her eyes briefly glimpsing towards the conversation being held in the other room before focusing back to an eye to eye conversation. She frowns, and gives a very concerned look. "Em, I...Vous are my best friend, you know tis, oui? she pauses for a moment. "I came to vous when I was in trouble, and vous helped me more ten vous know when we found a place pour moi to hide from les wiches hunteres. Tat must be what friends can do pour each otterre...
    "But vous know, I can help vous, too. I had a gut feeling for a while now, not as bie-em, not as good as yours, Sophie, but someting is troubles vous, more ten normallie. You have to tell moi what is le... Te matterre? Did I say tat right?"
    as Odétte whispers, shushing Sophia's interruptions, if any, she holds her friend's arm. She's nervous. Her voice gradually feeling uncertain and shaky. Sophia knows that Odétte is prone to having mood swings, but there's something about her today, she's actually behaving less...balanced, than usual.
    "What is te matterre, Sophie?"
    Show
    I came up with all that by rolling Sense Motive checks. I hope you don't mind I rolled one for you, too, but I find it helpful sometimes when deciding my course of action, at least in PbPs or when I DM...

My Extended Signature

20. - Top - End - #20

"Alright then. See ya, Lor." Murklur says, standing and turning to leave. "Anything else y'all want to ask, ask it. Otherwise, save the chatter for the road. There'll be plenty of time to play grab-ass when we get out there." He then departs, to find his mule and ready her for travel.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

"Ah... well, if you're sure that the patient had the same illness we're dealing with, it might be interesting to know where that man had been from an epidemiology standpoint." She sets down her cup and saucer one last time and gets up from her chair. "Still, Mr. Murklur is right; we should get moving as soon as possible. Laurie, do you think you could look into that while we're out looking for Ms. DeFou?"

22. - Top - End - #22

Shocked into silence by Kim’s revelation, Laurie simply stands there as Odette and Sophia step out the back door. When Murklur takes his leave, she manages an absent, “OK,” and a small wave that hangs in the air as the implications continue to sink in. Only when Kaytu addresses her directly does she shake herself out of her reverie.

“Yes, I certainly will. If this is true then we may be in more trouble than...” suddenly, realisation dawns, and an uncharacteristic expression of panic appears on her face. “By all the gods I just remembered! A group of lumber barges went down the river three weeks ago! We hadn’t thought anything of it, but if you’re right and this plague has been here a month, they could have carried it down river already!” She rubs her forehead and sighs, “You have to warn them. We hadn’t sent word yet, it’s only this week we realised how serious it was but if they know what to look for they might have a better chance than we did. Tell the mayoress, she’ll know what to do.”

She flops back into her chair and blows out her cheeks, a long moment passes before she speaks again, “Oh, I forgot with all the excitement,” she begins, a rueful smile reasserting itself as she talks, “Gauros Kreed of all people came by earlier. Was in a fouler mood than usual, I haven’t a clue why. He said if any of you need a horse to get to town quicker you can drop by the lumber yard stables and take one of theirs.” She shakes her head, as though confused, “Sometimes you wonder if that man is as thick as he seems, then he goes and surprises you.”

She barks a short, harsh laugh before draining the rest of her tea, “You’d better see yourselves out. Don’t worry about the mugs, one of the kids’ll get to them later.” She rises once more, sets her shoulders and strides back towards the shop, “I’d better go and keep these idiots from starting a war.”

Show
    Hallis Moncheau is the mayoress of Fjared’s Landing, although “mayoress” is a rather grand word for someone who does little more than chair meetings. Her day job is to manage the stockyards that store goods going to and from the coast.

There’ll be more on this going up in the OOC once I’ve typed it up, but the Kreed brothers (Gauros and Tulon) own the town’s lumber mill. They inherited it from their father a few years ago, and local opinion is that they’ve been running it into the ground.

As such, they aren’t well-liked, although Gauros is generally thought of as the lesser of two evils. He’s a relatively straightforward woodsman, albeit with a short temper and less intelligence than he’d like to think. His younger brother Tulon is the brains of the outfit, and is the one who most think actually runs the business. While he is charming, his business decisions are making life difficult for the townsfolk, as many rely on the barges to transport goods to and from Fjared’s Landing, and he views this as a prime opportunity to turn a profit.

Getting anything from them for free (even temporarily) could be considered a minor miracle.

If there’s anything you need to do before you leave town, post or PM me about it. Once everyone’s ready we'll hit the road.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

"Oh! I see..." the elf considers the barge-related information. "Well, if that is the case, I hope that Ms. DeFou can help with it. We'll just have to find out when we get there and deliver the warning. Miss DeMent, Miss Wessyn!" she calls into the other room, "Come along now, we're leaving for the stables!"
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2015-08-10 at 08:27 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Sophia & Odétte
    Show
    "Yes, that's right," Sophia murmurs, responding to a plea for help from Odétte, of any kind is automatic now. She frowns, Odétte is being more unsettled than normal, but she seems genuinely confused and Sophia starts to wonder if in fact, she did tell her friend what was going on. She shakes her head slightly, doubting reality (or being confused by it) is more Odétte's thing than hers.

"My parents," she begins shakily, "they're sick. They have... whatever this sickness is. Didn't I-? I'm sure I told you!" Her last sentence comes out as more of a plea for confirmation that she's not going crazy, than an accusation.

Show
    I have no problems with you rolling sense motive for me. It helps me actually, now I know (from the horse's mouth as it were) something that Sophia knows about Odétte

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

"I will see you there my friends," Kim says, "I must first perform the rite of departure to ensure our good fortune." Kim gathers his belongings and sets off to see if there is a local shrine, if not he'll construct one on the side of the road.

My meager homebrew

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

"Very well. I should probably leave a note or something at the temple, too..."

With that, Kaytu nods to all present and ducks out the door to warn Ehlonna's other local acolytes of her impending absence. Her elven parents didn't mind when she would randomly go missing for weeks at a time, but humans usually do.
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2015-08-11 at 07:01 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Odétte and Sophia
    Show
    "Oh merde... I-I am so sorrie pour vous, Sophie!" Lady De Mont gave Sophia a sympathetic hug. "And to ti- to tink all tis ti-time, vous had such troubles of your own." Odétte chokes up and starts to mewl. "Vous don't deserve tis. Sophie. Not any of tis." Odétte starts to sob audibly, leaving tears on sophia's shoulder as she is still holding her friend.

Show
    do you want them to be able to hear my character overreact? should I offer a ListenPerception check? I'm not doing anything without consent though.

My Extended Signature

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Odétte and Sophia
    Show
    Sophia looks startled for a second, her entire frame going rigid; then abruptly she relaxes and wraps her arms around Odétte. This is familiar ground now, Odétte overreacting, bursting into tears, beating herself up, it's all familiar territory. She murmurs nonsensical words of comfort for a while, then slowly draws back, Odétte hadn't answered her initial question, and Sophia can't help but wonder. For once, she needs to know.

"Odétte?" she murmurs. "Odétte, did I tell you about my parents?"

29. - Top - End - #29

With the preparations made, you reconvene an hour later at the Kreed compound. This is the oldest area of the village, growing up as it did around the lumber camp. As such the initial log stockade still exists today: it separates the mill, the stockyards and the family’s mansion from the rest of the village, in addition to forming a significant part of the current village’s outer perimenter. The watchman at the gate waves you through when you explain your business and points you in the direction of the stables, a short walk along the inside of the compound’s wall.

The mill dominates the centre of the compound, a large squat building from which the constant grating and whirring of the machinery can be heard. The mansion itself sits apart from the rest of the buildings at the western side of the compound, behind a set of cast-iron gates and a matching fence. The effect is a little incongruous, like an old country home got lost in the middle of a slum.

To the other side of the mill are the stockyards and docks, where under normal circumstances barges would be being loaded and sent downriver. With the discovery of the plague though, the village council have decreed that no barges will leave, despite the loud protestations of Tulon Kreed. All around you, villagers come and go about a thousand small tasks. The compound is a hive of activity, and it seems that even the plague has done little to diminish that.

A young girl greets you briskly at the entrance to stables, bobbing a curtsy as she does so, “Good morning madams, sirs. Master Gauros said you could have the pick of any of our animals. We’ve got tack you can borrow but I’m afraid most of them are pretty big for riding.” That last comes with an almost embarrassed grin. Once inside you can see she wasn’t kidding. The horses kept here are all large draft animals, ridable perhaps but you might end up walking strangely for a while afterwards.

Show
    Feel free to ad lib picking out a horse if you’d like and discuss plans for the trip/what you do when you arrive. Mechanically there’s not much to this, it’s a heavy horse plus riding saddle, enjoy it.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Sophia & Odétte
    Show
    Odétte continues to sob, breathing unsteadily. Not making much of a response. Until eventually making a break out for the back door, wailing in tears.

Odétte supposedly left separately, and eventually meets the gang again shortly after they rendezvous at the stables. How she knew to meet everybody there heaven only knows. She seems a little more calm then she was earlier today. She appears a little more lively than she did before. Her headkerchief now folded and tied to hear face, concealing nose to neck like a veil. Nothing people who know Odétte are usually concerned about, however.

"Bonjour!" She said, her rising cheeks hinted at a smile. "Why tank You. Such a fine lady you are, as Master Gauros must b--- SACRE BLEU!".
    Odétte sees the enormous steeds. Her eyes widen and her jaw drops, thinking how wild the ride would be. "Tell me, mademoiselle! do you breed tiese stallionnes pour war?"

My Extended Signature