New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Last, Best Hope for the Hollow [IC]

Odétte laughs abruptly, as she heads towards the window and begins to climb in. "most amusing, monsieur!... " as she continues to speak in Giant to nobody in particular.
    Spoiler: Mr. DM
    Show
    do I need a check for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Jette View Post
    If you write gibberish in common, even comprehend languages won't turn it into a sonnet.
    P.Z. - gamer; friend; royalty. 'Tis a pleasure.
    <<Cynthia the Witch by me. she's a nice gal, I promise!

My player Resume, for potential DMs to read over.

My Extended Signature

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ettin in the Playground

Kaytu already has the door pushed halfway open to see whether the coast is clear when Kim and Odette each contribute their own wildly different ideas.

If Odette is in no immediate danger yet, she turns to Kim and makes an inviting gesture to the door, silently wondering how the so-called adventuring parties of the world ever get anything done.
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2016-07-17 at 05:45 PM.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Barbarian in the Playground

With Murklur and Sophia keeping an eye out for any further trouble, Kim edges towards the door as Odette disappears around the side of the hut. As he carefully pushes the door open, the pale light from the lamp above it reveals the hut’s interior in an eerie monochrome. Papers, vials and various sundries are scattered in their dozens across the floor and a coating of dust lies across much of the single small room.

Spoiler: PZ
    Show
    Nah, you’re good. It’s a bit of a squeeze though.

A small thud and a puff of dust announces Odette’s slightly ungainly arrival through the small window as she lands on the floor by a dining table stacked with a mass of papers and a couple of piles of used crockery. The small bed has been slept in, and while the smell could only charitably be described as “musty”, some of the plates appear to have been recently used.

Of Mimi however, there is no sign. Nothing moves within the cramped little hut save for the trio from Falcon’s Hollow.
    Playing: Lord-Captain Adama Nasterion (Stars Like Diamonds), Zerak (Ultimum Temporum)
    Running: Last, Best Hope for the Hollow

A thousand thanks to Prince Zahn for my sorcerous avatar.

4. - Top - End - #274

ClericGuy

Kylan rode up to the corpse that had attacked Murklur and dismounted, looking at it, and backing farther away at the sight of the dead grass, but getting a glance at it. "What the... Pargalore, over here!" Kylan summoned his new... companion, from his position about twenty feet back. "These beasts were killed by weapons, and there's dead grass all around them. We need to hurry and make sure those ahead of us are ok. What say you?" Kylan turns to his... ally, and waits for an answer, his fave both thoughtful and concerned.

"Seriously, what the heck?! What kills grass by leaking out?!? And what MAKES something that leaks out of a crocodile??? The grass... was almost like something an undead might cause with negative energy. Maybe.... Kylan was by no means an expert, but he did know that the crocodile was not a good sign for the group ahead of them.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Bugbear in the Playground

Pargalore Treven(!) dismounts and strides over to where Kylan called. He stoops down to examine the crocodile.

"My word! Such a terrible thing to happen to any creature! Alas, noble beast. But look! These wounds are fresh, and there are no humanoid corpses nearby. Whoever put this creature out of its misery must be nearby. Let us join them quickly, and offer what assistance we may. Onward!"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I, uh, might have forgotten to use some of my starting gold to buy a mount . Permission to pick up a mule, a riding saddle, and saddle bags before we head out?
    Last edited by BilltheCynic; 2016-07-20 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Messed up rolls. Re-doing them in OOC
    Why yes, my avatar is a gelatinous cube swashbuckler. It is from the excellent webcomic Rusty and Co.

I'm two magic items!

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ettin in the Playground

"Well, she's not home. That could be a good thing, given the circumstances... but with things like that black ooze around, I don't think we can exactly wait for her to get back. Sophia, do you think we can find a hint as to which way she went?"

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Kim steps in, giving an imperceptible wince at Odette's noisy entry. "Where could she have gone?" he asks the (mostly) empty room as he notices his own footprints in the dust. "She does not seem to have planned her departure, perhaps something will tell us, what do you think mistress?" He directs the last line to Odette.

Spoiler: Search check
    Show

(1d20+8)[14]
    To know that just one life has breathed easier because you have lived, that is to have succeeded.

Wonderful Faithatar by smuchmuch

My meager homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    Chivalry (n): A willingness to find excuses to beat people up.

8. - Top - End - #278

ClericGuy

"Of course."

Kylan swiftly mounts his horse, shifts uncomfortably in the humidity as he waits for Pargalore to prepare himself to move, and rides in the direction of Mimi's cottage, hoping that nothing has yet happened.

9. - Top - End - #279

At Kaytu’s suggestion, Sophia begins to cast around in search of any sign of where Mimi might have gone, while Murklur keeps a solitary vigil.

After a couple of minutes, shortly after Kim concludes his search of the interior, she enters the hut, shaking her head in puzzlement, “I don’t understand it," she points to the floor,"there’s a really obvious trail in the dust leading to the door, then as soon as she stepped outside there’s nothing.” She sighs, “It’s like she walked out the door and just vanished.”

She glances at Kim, “Did you-”

“Company!”

Poking his head through the door, Murklur delivers the warning in a harsh whisper. “Couple a’ fellas on horseback comin' down the trail.”

He pushes the door shut while unslinging his shield and readying one of his javelins.

Show
    Bill, that's fine, Pargalore now has a mount.

Play nice now kids.
    Playing: Lord-Captain Adama Nasterion (Stars Like Diamonds), Zerak (Ultimum Temporum)

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Kim pockets some of the notes for further perusal and gives a start as he lifts up the pillow he slowly turns and shows it to the party. Bloodstains on the bottom. At Murklur's announcement he readies his staff, the pillow can wait.
    To know that just one life has breathed easier because you have lived, that is to have succeeded.

My meager homebrew

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ettin in the Playground

"Hmm." Kaytu raises her hand to her chin. Kim's and Sophia's findings each point toward something awful, but taken together they frustratingly don't add up.

Her gaze follows Murklur's pointing finger out the window to the newcomers. Upon realizing the direction they're coming from, she darts for the door and throws it open again.

"Hey! You two didn't touch the black alligator or the poison leaking out of it, did you?" She widens her eyes and examines their hands and legs from this distance. They're not obviously contaminated. That's good.

12. - Top - End - #282

Pargalore(!) remounts his mule and continues down the road. A house shortly becomes visible, and an elf throws open the door and calls out to them.

Pargalore(!) responds, "Nay, fair elf! I, Pargalore Treven(!) (Gentleman Adventurer) and my taciturn sidekick Kylan are far too savvy to touch that odious liquid. In fact, we have traversed many miles seeking the services of the healer Mimi to help combat such loathsome diseases. Perchance, is that Mimi's abode?"
    Why yes, my avatar is a gelatinous cube swashbuckler. It is from the excellent webcomic Rusty and Co.

I'm two magic items!

13. - Top - End - #283

ClericGuy

Kylan sighed as Pargalore named him sidekick, and nodded in agreement with the rest of his statement. As they near the house, Kylan dismounts and walks the last thirty feet or so, trying to demonstrate his peaceable intentions, with his freehand's palm facing outward, away from his sword. As he approaches the door, Kylan begins to speak, offering his hand to Kaytu.

"My... associate* is correct, though I also have other matters to converse with Mimi about. I would be happy to assist you, Ms...?"

*=This is said with hesitation, but not distaste.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ettin in the Playground

Kaytu sighs. "Yes, this would be her place. Unfortunately, it seems something beat us to her. Here, we'll get you caught up - we need to find her quickly, and we can use the help."

She ushers the new guys inside to show them what little evidence the team has so far.

"I do remember some rumors about a serial killer back in Fjared's Landing, though I am not sure what difference it would make even if it's related."
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2016-07-25 at 10:29 PM.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Kim bows to the newcomers, impressed with their obvious martial ability and bearing. "Greetings sahib, my name is Kim, it is my honor to meet you sirs Pargalore and Kylan."

With introductions finished and at Kaytu's mention of a serial killer, Kim proffers the bloodstained pillow. "I fear she may have been a victim. The fire is warm and some papers disturbed, but all else is long covered in dust. Do any of you recognize this tongue?" He holds up some papers pulled from the floor with his other hand.
    Last edited by SilentNight; 2016-07-26 at 06:35 AM.

My meager homebrew

16. - Top - End - #286

After nodding a greeting to Pargalore, Sophia haltingly introduces herself to Kylan.

Show
    I'm guessing she and Pargalore would know each other.

When Kim holds one of his gathered scraps out for general perusal, Murklur squints at it for a long moment before moving closer to peer more closely. After a pregnant pause during which an astute observer would notice the dwarf’s lips moving as his brow furrows in concentration he speaks, though much more hesitantly than usual for those who are familiar with the taciturn fellow.

“This is… I think it’s Auld Dwarven.” He pauses for a moment, eyes scanning down the page before he shakes his head in frustration, “Some o’ the runes are similar to ones I know, but I’ve no idea what it all means.”

Sophia peers over his shoulder, bemusement plain on her face as she attempts to make sense of the angular, scrawled characters, “I see what you mean. I was never all that good at runes, but I’m not sure I can pick out a single word.”

17. - Top - End - #287

Pargalore Treven(!) dismounts and steps insides. His eyes widen as Kaytu explains what is going on.

"Mimi missing? How terrible! Our greatest hope to combat the plague is gone, and it seems foul play is at foot. But who or what would want to take Mimi, and with such mysterious methods? "

To Sophia Pargalore(!) smiles widely and says, "Ah Sophia, is it good to see you again! I only wish we had met in a less ominous setting. You say there is an obvious trail that disappears at the door? Of course, it is obvious now; whatever is responsible for Mimi's disappearance could fly!"

Pargalore(!) seems quite please with himself for making this conclusion. He then walks over to Murklur and looks over the note. "Hmm. Who would leave a note in a language that hasn't been spoken here in a century, and even then by only by highly insular mountain clans? Or perhaps Mimi wrote it to safeguard what she wrote? I see we search this place for journals, letters, or other written information that we would know Mimi wrote and compare the handwriting. The game is afoot!"

Show
    Search check: [roll]1d20+2[/roll
    Knowledge (History): (1d20+7)[11] What happened to the mountain clan that caused Auld Dwarven to become an effective dead language in this area?
    Knowledge (Local): (1d20+7)[26] Is there anyone around here who might be able to understand and translate Auld Dwarven?

I'm two magic items!

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ettin in the Playground

"Could fly," Kaytu closes her eyes impatiently, "or climb, or slither, or simply cover its tracks. Or teleport, for all we know."

Kaytu considers the papers for a moment, but shakes her head. "No, I believe we need answers that we are not going to find here. I'd suggest we start searching the area..."

She looks out through the window. That desecrating sludge is still spreading.

"...but, as long as you are searching... could someone please help me find a rug or a tarp? I can't just leave that thing out there leaking into the water."

19. - Top - End - #289

ClericGuy

Kylan follows Pargalore inside the small cottage, observing the disarray within.

Kylan smiles, and greets Sophia in turn. "It is a pleasure to meet you, Miss Sophia. I do wish it had been under better circumstances though."

Yeah... circumstances better than my potential teacher's murder. thought Kylan.

"I'll help you, Miss...?" Kylan pauses here for Kaytu to provide a name. "I would like to observe this... ooze again. And I'm afraid I know nothing of languages, or investigation."

20. - Top - End - #290

While Kaytu contemplates the various explanations for the sudden lack of a trail, Murklur sighs in exasperation, "When you've figured out what we should be doin', you let me know. I'll be outside keepin' an eye out," he scratches his recently healed leg absent-mindedly, "Don't fancy gettin' surprised again."

With that he heads outside, seating himself on the edge of the small porch, javelin near to hand.

Sophia exits just behind the dwarf, muttering something about "flying pests" as she starts casting around for tracks on the ground once more.

As Pargalore begins to systematically root through the papers strewn about the small room, the light shed by the small stone floating by his head lightens the previously gloomy interior, allowing those inside to see it clearly. The miscellaneous assortment of objects strewn across the floor are matched by a similarly varied, if somewhat more orderly, collection on the various shelves around the room including a mixture jars containing everything from what looks like simple water to pickled animal specimens to bizarre oily fluids that refract the scant light in dark rainbows in addition to pots of varying shapes and sizes and, on a slightly macabre note, a human skull. In addition to the fairly obvious trail in the dust leading to the door, the surface of the dining table visible beneath the piles of papers, the bed, and the pot in the small fireplace and the floor between them are also relatively clear.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ettin in the Playground

"Hm? Oh, Kaytu Marthanai-ki." Her Elven accent is most pronounced as she says her name; otherwise most people wouldn't notice it. "It's nice to meet you, Kylan. That I wish it were under different circumstances should go without saying."

Sheets in hand, she leads Kylan back out to help roll up the rotting croc. "We need to be careful. Whatever this substance is, it has a spiritual taint normally reserved for intelligent beings. I can only assume it has its own evil volition, somehow. I don't suppose you've heard of anything like this?"
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2016-08-02 at 07:20 PM.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

Odétte seemed mostly detached from the events around her as she regained her composure,she didn't look around, but rather, mumbling to the air, as if someone was speaking with her.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentNight View Post
    " perhaps something will tell us, what do you think mistress?" Kim directs the last line to Odette.
    She did not respond at first but perked up, as if nudged into attention. She smiled, she liked being the object of flattery.
    "ah, Oui - tere must be oter clues. here, she could not simply vanished.

She heard hollering from the company Murklur warned, she quickly cowered to hide underneath the desk,and nearly knocked over the crockery atop it.
    She mostly listened to the conversation and peeked, hoping that if the are witch hunters, they won't notice her.

But those witch hunters are rather handsome...

While they discuss some dusty Auld foreign document, Odétte snapped her fingers and interjected. " La solution is simple, mes Amis, "

With a pause, she resumed, We just go to le mont clans, find un old d'warf, older tan mourkloure, even, Et request for a translatione, maybe even a spell, if le d'warves are old enough!" Odétte smiled confidently, expecting the others will admire the solution.

Seeing the handsome strangers, she smiled and introduced herself, not Making an effort to be secretive to these strangers she hid from moments before.
    "Ahem! Lady Odétte De Mont of Aerdie, daughter to Earl Francis De Mont, Enchanté. "
    she offered her hand to Kylan and Pargalore most proper, the way her mother taught her. "Et vous?"
    If you write gibberish in common, even comprehend languages won't turn it into a sonnet.

My Extended Signature

23. - Top - End - #293

Pargalore Treven(!) shakes his head at Kaytu's question. "Nay, Kaytu. Though I have had many stunning, heart stopping adventures against the forces of evil, in none of them have I heard of this vile substance."

Pargalore(!) then notices the fair young noble-woman striding towards them and offering her hand. Pargalore(!) smiled; though he had always hated politics, he had a fondness for the noble protocol, and he would be remiss to let his ignore his manners now. The muscular man delicately takes her hand in his and formally kisses the back of it.

"Charmed, Lady De Mont. I am Pargalore Treven (Gentleman Adventurer), here in search for a cure to the plague that ails my wife. Though your suggestion to find translators in the hill clan is sound, there may be an easier way to solve this conudrum. Though these beautiful muscles and my astounding archery skills are magnificent in fighting evil, I have learned in my travels not to underestimate the versatility of magic. Perhaps we could find someone with enough talent in the arts to discern the meaning."
    Last edited by BilltheCynic; 2016-08-05 at 05:09 AM. Reason: Messed up roll again

I'm two magic items!

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

"Always an answer, always an answer," Kim mutters to himself in response to Odette. ""No matter, time is of the essence and we must hurry if we are to save Mimi," Kim says, leaving the newcomers to attend to their own matters while he joins Sophia outside.

My meager homebrew

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

"Yes, is it true." Odétte nods at pargalore's wisdom, trying to practice more of the common tongue, "howeverre, we pas know la source of le message, to understand le contexte, un magicien might send us tere anyway."
    She pokes at Kim's shoulder, before he joins Sophia, "Kim, ave we any orientation wherre to go next?"

Eventually she exits through the door as well, swapping cold, sharp glares at the door frame.
    Last edited by Prince Zahn; 2016-08-25 at 12:41 AM.

My Extended Signature

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Kim shakes his head. "Someone who is learned in Auld Dwarven, unless the new gentlemen have any leads?" He looks expectantly at Pargalore and Kylan, almost pleadingly.

My meager homebrew

27. - Top - End - #297

As Kaytu and Kylan busy themselves wrapping the crocodile’s ruined carcass in an effort to prevent its foulness from spreading any further, the rest of the company are left milling around the hovel.

Lurking in the shade of the trees that surround the hut, Murklur lights his pipe and puffs away nervously, eyes darting around the murky surroundings. Sophia meanwhile, creeps through the surrounding vegetation searching doggedly for any signs of a trail.

As the last of the dark filth is contained, a shout comes from the back of the hut, “I’ve got something!” Sophia’s head pops up at the back window, “There’s a faint trail leading away from the house from this window. I thought I’d seen movement when we arrived, looks like something small, a dog or a cat maybe, ran off into the swamp. I think-” a low animal call from outside cuts her off, joined quickly by several more.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ettin in the Playground

Kaytu cleans off her hands as best she can and thanks Kylan for his help containing the fallen beast, just in time for Kim's and Pargalore's ideas, Sophia's report and the screaming of a bunch of cats.

"...do you think it might be something like that?" she asks as she looks out the window.

For the sake of caution, she draws her sword and refocuses on Ehlonna's magic before proceeding toward the sounds, in case she should again lay eyes on that which so offends the goddess' sight. "Barring the hill dwarves, this might be our only lead. Let's go."

29. - Top - End - #299

Pargalore Treven(!) immediately readies his bow and nocks two arrows on the string. "At last! The game is afoot. Let us see if this creature can lead us to some answers. Sophia, guide us to this foul being!"

He sets off at a quick pace, just behind Kaytu and on the watch for any evil doers who may try to hinder their noble quest.

Show
    Perception: (1d20+8)[15]

I'm two magic items!

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Kim nods, relieved he wouldn't be on point, although the allure of being right always tugged at him. No matter, there was a mission at hand. Kim takes a deep breath and proceeds around the side of the house to follow Sophia.

My meager homebrew