New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Rizban's 1Page Game - Tiny RPG designed in an afternoon, looking for input

So, yesterday, I had some extra time and no internet. I decided to see if I could design an entire RPG system that included Races, Classes (with the ability to gain experience and meaningful levels), and equipment, then fit the entire game system, including the character sheet, onto one side of a single page. I even laid it out so that you can easily fold it up and stick it in your pocket to take with you and still be able to easily access all the relevant information to play the game.

I have yet to do any actual play testing or balancing, and there's definitely a few areas that could use some polish. Still, I'm fairly happy with the result after only an afternoon of work on it and wanted to share it and hear any thoughts or suggestions that others might have.

Better quality image.
    I'll provide a PDF later if there's any interest in it.

Now, I do have to make a slight disclaimer here. I pulled the ideas for the stats and basic dice mechanics from a system I helped design some 15 or so years ago and the class names and themes from my D&D E6 system posted here on the forum. So, the material isn't 100% original to this project, but it's being used in a new way and is different enough from its source material as to be almost unrecognizable mechanically.
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Aldhaven - May 27, 2010 and ongoing.
    Aldhaven Rules and Homebrew (aldhaven.com)

Character Repository
    Homebrew List
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Rizban's 1Page Game - Tiny RPG designed in an afternoon, looking for input

Can't post much now, but: I like it. It's very streamlined, since it only uses the d6. You went back to DnD's roots with the "roll 3d6 and place in order", heheh. I also like the example of "Staunch" being Mal Reynolds

What constitutes an action? It's like regular DnD where Move and Attack are two separate actions, I assume; which means one can't move and attack in the same round in this system, correct? Just wanted to clarify.

Will there be more to come on Equipment, like armor and weapons and whatnot?

More to come as I read on it and have the time.
    Saber avatar courtesy of Prime32

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Rizban's 1Page Game - Tiny RPG designed in an afternoon, looking for input

Quote Originally Posted by Thokk_Smash View Post
    Can't post much now, but: I like it. It's very streamlined, since it only uses the d6. You went back to DnD's roots with the "roll 3d6 and place in order", heheh. I also like the example of "Staunch" being Mal Reynolds
    It actually uses the d4, d8, and d12 as well in the classes themselves. I wanted to limit it to just d6s at first, but the variable dice sizes made things a lot easier. I went with 3d6 for checks rather than a d20, because the bell curve on rolls keeps this system more stable.

What constitutes an action? It's like regular DnD where Move and Attack are two separate actions, I assume; which means one can't move and attack in the same round in this system, correct? Just wanted to clarify.
    Anything you and the DM/group agree is an Action. I didn't define that too specifically, but the system assumes movement and attacking are separate actions. Basically, anything you do that takes some amount of time is an action. Except talking. Talking is always a free action in every game.
    (The Brawler, however, has an ability to move and attack as a single action).

Will there be more to come on Equipment, like armor and weapons and whatnot?
    I hadn't planned to expand it beyond the basic classifications given under the Combat heading. Anything more (specific items, magic, etc.) is the purview of the DM/players. The basic rules actually assume this is a group run RPG rather than being run by a DM. So, anything your group agrees is good is fine. I took the old school approach of rulings rather than rules. Go with what works for your group!

More to come as I read on it and have the time.
    I look forward to it!
    Last edited by Rizban; 2015-08-06 at 05:15 PM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Ooh, very nice. I especially love that it doesn't require a DM, and I really like the race system. Having a set of archetypes like that is actually going to come in handy for the campaign world I'm working on.

I'm tempted to try and draw up a little one page adventure to go with it.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pelican View Post
    I'm tempted to try and draw up a little one page adventure to go with it.
    That sounds great. I'd like to see that.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, just noticed under HP it says "Add your current level to might to determine hitpoints"
    While the top left box states that HP is "might + level x2"
    Thanks to Kurien for drawing my avatar, and NightWolf16a for coloring it.

Spoiler: The master lurker
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Renen View Post
    Oh, just noticed under HP it says "Add your current level to might to determine hitpoints"
    While the top left box states that HP is "might + level x2"
    Changed one and forgot to change the other. Thanks. It should definitely be twice level to HP.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground

This game looks awesome! I love that the character sheet is also the core rule book (no need for quick reference sheets ).

How does a ranged weapon work in contrast to a melee weapon? what keeps a player from just using a ranged weapon for everything?

I think this would work great for gaming on the road or away from home.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Noje View Post
    This game looks awesome! I love that the character sheet is also the core rule book (no need for quick reference sheets ).
    Thanks!

How does a ranged weapon work in contrast to a melee weapon? what keeps a player from just using a ranged weapon for everything?
    I suppose it'd work essentially the same way as a melee weapon. You still only get one action per turn, so you can't move and shoot (usually). Even with a ranged weapon, you'd like only get one or two shots before the enemies closed in on you. But, really, it's just going to be up to your group. If you want to play a group of gunslingers, then go for it! Just have the enemies pack pistols as well.

I think this would work great for gaming on the road or away from home.
    That's part of what I designed it for!
    If I was willing to use the back of the page, I could cover ranged weapons, more about powers/magic, vehicles, and who knows what else. Still, I really like only having it be one-sided and hate trying to line things up to print double. Maybe I'll make an expansion for this some day that uses the back of the page.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Got some updates done to the game. I fixed the one error pointed out and cleaned up some of the language in several places to make things a bit more clear. I also added a missing explanation that needed to be there, specifically the "Main Class Die" which is used for in few different areas.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

This is really cool!

That being said, however, I'm still a little lost on what the Class Die actually do, and why it matters that they come in different sizes. I get that you can spend them to activate powers, but don't understand when you would actually roll a class die outside of the description for magic/psi/ect.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Class Dice are used to activate class abilities.
    Powers run entirely on them.
    Weapon Damage is determined by Main Class Die.
    Initiative is Main Class Die + Agility.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

It looks very interesting. I might use it to give my non-RPG inclined friends a taste of what it's like!

Does the Magus get double class die daily? (Assuming straight Magus)
    Last edited by Sliver; 2015-08-13 at 01:44 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

More thoughts (a week later, I know; sorry for the delay):

I like how magi are actually able to wear armor, even if it is light. Nice change of pace from DnD

So, everything's based on main class die. That means the class die are refluffed into whatever attack fits the class, right? For instance, a magus' spell deals Class Dice (1d4) damage if it beats the enemy's defense.
    • Connected to that: Augurs and Magi can only cast spells by spending Class Die? Otherwise they can only attack with weapons or otherwise? (Just realized you kinda answered this two posts up)

Re: poisons, enchantments, fear, etc: what is the opposed roll that governs these? Resisting poison or enchantments would be a Might or Presence check, but what's the DC (for lack of a better term)? Would it just be the rolls of whoever used the poison or enchantment? (Although I suppose enchantment would be more of an opposed check than poison would be)
    Last edited by Thokk_Smash; 2015-08-13 at 01:56 PM.
    Saber avatar courtesy of Prime32

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
    It looks very interesting. I might use it to give my non-RPG inclined friends a taste of what it's like!

Does the Magus get double class die daily? (Assuming straight Magus)
    Yes, it does; however, that only applies that Magus Class Dice. A multiclass Magus doesn't get bonus Class Dice for any other classes the character might possess. (Unless, of course, that's the way you want to do things *shrug*. I don't recommend it though.) The Magus has increased ability to use Powers and class features due to its inability to use weapons of any kind.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2015-08-13 at 01:56 PM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

So a level 1 Magus will have 2 class dice a day. If he uses one to use a power, he could do something like deal 1 damage to d4 enemies, or deal 1d4 damage to one enemy? Alternatively, he could do something like debuff 1 enemy for d4 rounds? Regardless of what he does, he can only do it twice a day?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

As written, yeah, pretty much. I'd probably let him use a club or staff or something to fight untrained once he's out of Class Dice, but it'd grant no Weapon Bonus and might even have an attack or damage penalty. Magus is pretty wimpy at low levels but can become incredibly powerful as it levels up. Perhaps suggest a Magus player multiclass a level or two elsewhere? Expert would be a good dip. It gives a weapon proficiency and has some overlap on major stat. Sentinel would also be good for the armor/weapon and +1 HP/Def.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I'd suggest that the magus, similar to the soldier, have level (or 1/2 level) to spell damage rolls as one of their base abilities, and choose something else to give them at 5+.

Alternatively, maybe something entirely different, like
    Magic Missile: When attacking, ignore target defense, deal 1d4 damage with successful Genius Check.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Soldier gets level to attack, not damage.

I'll think about the magus. Not sure how to "fix" it...
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

This looks like fun and I'm definitely going to have to try it with you Riz the next time we meet IRL.

I think I'm gonna print it off and see about my sisters and I giving it a run through when they get here this weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderML View Post
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Yurhzorg is a nuclear warhead disguised as a playable character
    Much thanks to Ceika for the poketar!

I'll be away from the internet from 1/3-1/8 2019. I swear I'm not disappeared.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Halfling in the Playground

This is awesome! I have been looking for something like this for a looooong time.I love the system!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by planswalker View Post
    This looks like fun and I'm definitely going to have to try it with you Riz the next time we meet IRL.

I think I'm gonna print it off and see about my sisters and I giving it a run through when they get here this weekend.
    I look forward to hearing the report of live play.

Quote Originally Posted by Hexblade View Post
    This is awesome! I have been looking for something like this for a looooong time.I love the system!
    Great! Let me know what you think after using it and any suggestions or ideas you might have.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

hm... I just tried printing out the higher quality image and after switching it to landscape to print, the whole thing ended up being about 2 lines over one page and I had to shrink the document to 90% original size to make it all fit on one page. Dunno if it's an artifact of printing from my browser or what, but I think a pdf version that's definitely exactly 1 page and doesn't have to worry about formatting issues causing text to run over would be nice.
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by planswalker View Post
    hm... I just tried printing out the higher quality image and after switching it to landscape to print, the whole thing ended up being about 2 lines over one page and I had to shrink the document to 90% original size to make it all fit on one page. Dunno if it's an artifact of printing from my browser or what, but I think a pdf version that's definitely exactly 1 page and doesn't have to worry about formatting issues causing text to run over would be nice.
    All I can say is, every printer is different. It prints out fine on mine with no overhang. The real issue is how small of a margin your printer is capable of handling.

For the pdf version, I'll include as much margin as I can get in there without losing the text.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

fair enough. As you know, I know next to nothing when it comes to anything computer-related.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Looks pretty good! I'd love to try this out. Start up a forum game!
    Homebrewer's extended signature

Trophies and Awards
    Spoiler
    Show
    Click an award to see the entry.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

I am in awe. Creating a one page system is something I've wanted to attempt but never really got to. Although I have a printer that does double sided pages quite well, so it was actually two pages.

Anyways my longer system currently uses a modified 3d6 roll low system and originally had some special rules on 3 and 18 but I cut them out. Because they almost never came up. You will actually get a crit (in your system) less than 1 in 100 times. Now what you make of that is up to you but since I had the numbers worked out I thought I would share them with you.

Spoiler: 3d6 Table
    Show

Roll 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    = 0.5% 1.4% 2.7% 4.6% 6.9% 9.7% 11.6% 12.5% 12.5% 11.6% 9.7% 6.9% 4.6% 2.8% 1.4% 0.5%
    <= 0.5% 1.9% 4.6% 9.3% 16.2% 25.9% 37.5% 50.0% 62.5% 74.1% 83.8% 90.7% 95.4% 98.1% 99.5% 100%

Also does your name come from Fizban?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cluedrew View Post
    I am in awe. Creating a one page system is something I've wanted to attempt but never really got to. Although I have a printer that does double sided pages quite well, so it was actually two pages.

Anyways my longer system currently uses a modified 3d6 roll low system and originally had some special rules on 3 and 18 but I cut them out. Because they almost never came up. You will actually get a crit (in your system) less than 1 in 100 times. Now what you make of that is up to you but since I had the numbers worked out I thought I would share them with you.

Spoiler: 3d6 Table
    Show

Roll 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    = 0.5% 1.4% 2.7% 4.6% 6.9% 9.7% 11.6% 12.5% 12.5% 11.6% 9.7% 6.9% 4.6% 2.8% 1.4% 0.5%
    <= 0.5% 1.9% 4.6% 9.3% 16.2% 25.9% 37.5% 50.0% 62.5% 74.1% 83.8% 90.7% 95.4% 98.1% 99.5% 100%
    Thanks.

Yeah, I debated whether or not to include it, but I had the space for the words and like the concept, so I put it in there. It may be very rare, but it's still possible. If there was something more important that couldn't be squeezed in elsewhere, I'd likely remove it for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cluedrew View Post
    Also does your name come from Fizban?
    Since I don't know what or who that is, I'm going to have to say no. It's a made up name I gave myself when I was 9 or 10 and we were running around pretending to be adventurers from the fantasy video games we played after our parents made us go outside. I was Rizban, the kid down the street was Naven (Evan, his name, spell backwards with an extra 'N'), the kid across the street was Ryan the Amazing (he wasn't terribly creative), and the other kid who played with us just used his normal name (he wasn't creative at all ). I've used the name for the 20 or so years since. It did alternate spellings between Rizban and Risban for awhile, but I settled on the 'z' spelling when I was about 14, because "'z' is cooler than 's'."
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Your welcome. And Fizban is... lets just say he is they type of guy could name an avatar after.

A couple little things about the character sheet. For health & classes do you think you could fit in two boxes each? One for the maximum and one for the currant value (of health or remaining class dice). Similarly you might want to include a spot for people to write down their main class die and total level, you can calculate these from the other values on the sheet but they might be worth writing down anyways. The final one is a way to indicate your "race", even if it is just lightening the race icons to match the class icons so if you can put a mark on your selection and have it stand out.

Now I too haven't actually played it or even looked at a physical copy but I think those things might be good.

Question, do you have any knowledge of anyone actually playing this yet?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

I'll be playtesting it later today, actually. By a coincidence of events, Riz and I are going to be meeting IRL today for something else and so I decided at 1am this morning that I'm going to be printing off a couple copies and bringing them with me.