New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Exclamation The end is nigh!

Gods are voting to destroy the world and the 1000. episodes is close.
    So it's pretty obvious in 999 the gods will vote YES and in 1000. the final episode they destroy the world.

Run you fouls! (and get yourself a Gate scroll)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: The end is nigh!

No way. See the Geekademia Interview, Part 5, point 5J:
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Some people are all "he's gonna plan to end it at strip 1000." Absolutely not. It will go way past strip 1000 because we're already at 833 and we're not done with this book yet, and there's at least two more books left.
    So save your doomsday panic for book 7.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Troy View Post
    No way. See the Geekademia Interview, Part 5, point 5J:

So save your doomsday panic for book 7.
    Dave Sim trolled his readership in exactly this way, in issue 183 of Cerebus. He had said, for decades, that Cerebus would be a single 300-issue story, but then wrote, via his authorial stand-in Viktor Davis:

That night, Viktor Davis decided that Cerebus would not run for three hundred issues. He decided that Cerebus would run for two hundred issues. Viktor Davis decided to keep this a secret, telling no one for fourteen years.

He would not announce it until issue one hundred and eighty-three, a year and five months before the end: November 1995.
    It later turned out he was lying/joking/trolling, and Cerebus went on to issue 300. Of course, this came as Sim was descending into overt misogyny and paranoia; I would not want to draw any comparisons between Sim and Rich, and don't think Rich would resort to this kind of trickery.

It's a shame; the first ~150 issues of Cerebus were a monumental work of genius, and by the time he made this "announcement" a lot of readers greeted the news that it might end at issue 200 with relief rather than disappointment. I never did read the last hundred issues.
    Last edited by jere7my; 2015-08-14 at 10:12 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4

Your forgetting the conspiracy theorists. Even after we get past strip 1000 and this story arc, some people will still be claiming that it really did end at 1000, but the "new ones" are not real because they were faked in a drawing program on a computer.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Humanist View Post
    Your forgetting the conspiracy theorists. Even after we get past strip 1000 and this story arc, some people will still be claiming that it really did end at 1000, but the "new ones" are not real because they were faked in a drawing program on a computer.
    The entire Godsmoot is a lie.

Remember, it's not allowed to be reproduced or recorded in any way. So this is obviously just a figment of the author's imagination.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jere7my View Post
    Dave Sim trolled his readership in exactly this way, in issue 183 of Cerebus. He had said, for decades, that Cerebus would be a single 300-issue story, but then wrote, via his authorial stand-in Viktor Davis:

It later turned out he was lying/joking/trolling, and Cerebus went on to issue 300. Of course, this came as Sim was descending into overt misogyny and paranoia; I would not want to draw any comparisons between Sim and Rich, and don't think Rich would resort to this kind of trickery.

It's a shame; the first ~150 issues of Cerebus were a monumental work of genius, and by the time he made this "announcement" a lot of readers greeted the news that it might end at issue 200 with relief rather than disappointment. I never did read the last hundred issues.
    I'm trying to imagine a OOTS descending into overt misogyny and paranoia...and I am failing utterly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Humanist View Post
    Aren't they supposed to still be trapped in the illusion?
    Last edited by Sylian; 2015-08-15 at 01:53 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

well, i would sort of expect the possibility of the world ending and the story just resolving in a big "rocks fall, everybody dies" being the subject of some in-comic jokes. But ultimately, it would be utterly anticlimatic. I really don't think rich would do something like that. Not unless he suddenly got bored and wanted to do something else. AND he also suddenly inherited big money, or won the lottery, because ending oots like that would likely cost him most of his readership, and his health issues would hinder any chance at finding a normal job.
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

In other words, suddenly ending the strip at #1000 doesn't give any plotline "A SATISFYING RESOLUTION" and will be "A TERRIBLE ENDING", to quote Tarquin.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by _Jarlaxle_ View Post
    Gods are voting to destroy the world and the 1000. episodes is close.
    So it's pretty obvious in 999 the gods will vote YES and in 1000. the final episode they destroy the world.

Run you fouls! (and get yourself a Gate scroll)
    A fascinating theory.
    If it were the 1st of april, you may even be right .
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    I'm trying to imagine a OOTS descending into overt misogyny and paranoia...and I am failing utterly.
    And thank the Twelve Gods for that.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

What? He's a dwarf!
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jere7my View Post
    There are a lot of gems in with the kookery of the second half of Cerberus, and it's pretty easy to avoid the latter (skip all text sections!). The stuff he did with the Three Stooges is priceless.

Edit: Not the Marx Brothers.
    Last edited by Fitzclowningham; 2015-08-18 at 10:49 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

"Look, we evacuate your spirits to the afterlife, we repair the damage to the container to the thing that could eat your souls, then we remake the world, you reincarnate on the planet with new lives, free of charge."