New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

Default Augmented Soldier Homebrew (PEACH)

Hello again all! I run an early renaissance magitech campaign, and I decided to get around to statting out a couple of properly augmented enemies. This is my first real stab at monster homebrew, so I thought I'd run them by the forum to see if my CR ratings were even remotely right. PDF here.

There are three homebrew monsters, each on its own page because I am Bad At FormattingTM.
    Last edited by Flashy; 2015-08-14 at 07:51 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Augmented Soldier Homebrew (PEACH)

I am checking CRs now. Will update when done.

Ok, following the DMG rules, I get slightly different CRs to you.

Scarred Champion: DEF 1, ATK 3 = 2. This doesn't take into account their hypnosis thing; the DMG doesn't think that's worth anything. Maybe it is worth a bump from 2 to 3.
    Necromancer Orderly: DEF 1/4, ATK 1/2 = 1/2. I always round up with CR, to be safe. You should consider giving it Ray of Frost, so that it has something to do once it's blown its spell slots.
    Augmented Commander: DEF 5, ATK 5 = 5. I agree with you on this one. Kind of surprised not to see any damage resistance though.
    Last edited by Ninja_Prawn; 2015-08-14 at 07:37 AM.
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: Augmented Soldier Homebrew (PEACH)

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    Scarred Champion: DEF 1, ATK 3 = 2. This doesn't take into account their hypnosis thing; the DMG doesn't think that's worth anything. Maybe it is worth a bump from 2 to 3.
    The hypnosis is literally just Hypnotic Pattern centered on themselves with constitution as the casting ability. I went one high just because I was worried a 3rd level spell might be too much in a CR3 package. It's probably a pretty safe bet at 2.

Necromancer Orderly: DEF 1/4, ATK 1/2 = 1/2. I always round up with CR, to be safe. You should consider giving it Ray of Frost, so that it has something to do once it's blown its spell slots.
    I actually originally had Ray of Frost, but replaced it with prestidigitation because I was worried it didn't feel medic-y enough. I'll add it back on and definitely bump the CR up to 1/2

Augmented Commander: DEF 5, ATK 5 = 5. I agree with you on this one. Kind of surprised not to see any damage resistance though.
    It's a good point. I'll adjust the hitpoints down to 75 and throw resistance to nonmagical physical damage on instead.

EDIT: Updated the first post
    Last edited by Flashy; 2015-08-14 at 07:52 AM.