New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Getting back into RPGs after a year, which one though?

Hey, I havent played RPGs in a year, and I was thinking, since I'm so rusty with what I was doing before (mutants and masterminds, with like, a couple dnd 3.5 games) that I have a uniqe opportunity to objectively decide what game I should play. SO, most games online i've seen are either 3.5 or pathfinder, (which is pretty impressive, considering how old 3.5 is now) but im open to getting into 5e or something.

So, for someone who has zero nostolgia for, or grudges against any edition what should I get into?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: Getting back into RPGs after a year, which one though?

What are you looking for in a game? The three most recent editions - Pathfinder, 4E, and 5E - are all quite different and are all good games depending on your specific interests/tastes and those of your players.

So, if you post what you're looking for in a game, I'm sure we can give you some good ideas.
    Cheers
    Scrivener of Doom

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I suggest Fate, because it is simple, and free. Also, really well put together.

Other than that, my list of suggestions is as broad as it can be, so do you have more specific requirements?
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Take a moment to decide what you want to play before you pick a system.

For instance if you don't want to play a fantasy game, all of the D&D + Pathfinder options become much less viable. If you want to play a really quick rules light game then again many main stream options also become less appealing.

In fact I think your main three decisions before picking a system are (in no particular order):
    • Setting (Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Modern...)
    • Tone (Heroic, Gritty, Cinematic...)
    • Rules (Rules light - Rules Heavy)

If you can fill those in you should have a much better chance of getting a system you will enjoy.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Thanks for replying guys! I realize now that it was foolish of me not to post more detials than I'm rusty and entering with an open mind. So, here's what I'm looking for;

1: Tis in the fantasy genre.

2: If possible, I would like the tone to be fairly GM flexible. my favorite games have always been heroic with a little grit and darkness put in to keep it from being polymorphed into cheese.

3: Rules light VS rules heavy wise, I dont like complication for its own sake, but if more rules corrospond with benifits (like a more balanced game, or cooler charecters, or something) than I'm all for it. Im a fan of lots of source material, but the overall qoulity of the game it more important.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KOVAV View Post
    Tis a broad genre, of all the games I own the ones that fit are:
    AD&D 2e
    D&D 3.5
    D&D 4e
    Ars Magical
    Vampire: The Masquerade
    Mage: the Ascension
    Wraith: the Oblivion
    Vampire: the Requiem
    Scion
    Shadowrun (possibly my favourite setting)

Ones I own that aren't:
    Eclipse Phase
    Dark Heresy
    GURPS

So do you have a more specific flavour of fantasy you want?

2: If possible, I would like the tone to be fairly GM flexible. my favorite games have always been heroic with a little grit and darkness put in to keep it from being polymorphed into cheese.
    This is hard, as tone is generally baked into assumptions, for example early D&D is about crafty scoundrels at low levels and big dam heroes at high levels, later D&D dropped the first part, while Ars Magical has a tone of 'academic disputes' in practice (no, I wanted that paper!). Your favourites seem to be what I like, so I'd suggest D&D or GURPS based on that.

3: Rules light VS rules heavy wise, I dont like complication for its own sake, but if more rules corrospond with benifits (like a more balanced game, or cooler charecters, or something) than I'm all for it. Im a fan of lots of source material, but the overall qoulity of the game it more important.
    Key thing here is that older games will tend towards less balanced many rules while newer games tend towards better balance, but sometimes at a cost of rules.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

D&D 5e is easy to get into and flexible, I personally love it. Really though, you should ask yourself what kind of game you want to play, and pick the best system for that job. A campaign I'd run with Shadowrun I wouldn't run with Legend of the Five Rings, for example.
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KOVAV View Post
    Thanks for replying guys! I realize now that it was foolish of me not to post more detials than I'm rusty and entering with an open mind. So, here's what I'm looking for;

You might like both the AGE system (it was originally made for a Dragon Age RPG, and is basically a lighter version of D&D with a bit lower power cap that hits heroic with a little grit and darkness to a T) and REIGN (which is just a really solid fantasy system which gets a huge amount of mileage out of its rules).

As for lots of source material, if you refer to having setting material available in particular then REIGN is really your game. It's got a fairly unique setting with some seriously cool ideas in it, and even if you don't like the setting as a whole you can pilfer the fun parts. It also has a bunch of online supplements that were released with a "ransom" model, which basically means that a bunch of people who were interested in them paid up for them to be made, but now they are free for everyone.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I'll come in and second fate. It's generic at a base, but there are a number of fantasy hacks available in varying levels of crunch, and most are pay what you want, and it's a great system that will reward you for learning its tricks and let make any game you want.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm going to recommend 2nd Ed AD&D. Because SPELLJAMMER!
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

D&D 5th should work for you. It's hot, rules-lite (compared to most previous editions), and finding a group should be easier.
    Wrath of the Righteous! (Alpha)
    Wrath of the Righteous! (Bravo)
    Emerald City Nightmare!
    The Blood Answers
    Emerald City ICONS
    Seven of Spades
    All my games are on hiatus. I need to (per my editor) take some time for my book. I will return - hopefully in 2-4 weeks.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Colossus in the Playground

I wouldn't dive straight into any game. Instead, try a bit of everything and see which one you like best. 5e has the least material of all the popular games, so it's a decent choice. If you decide that the characters are too unbalanced, fragile, or lack options in combat, try 4E. If you decide that the characters are samey and boring to build, or don't feel like they are actually getting more powerful over time, try 3.5 or Pathfinder. If you decide that 20 is too many sides on a die, try FATE or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

Numenera of course! Game is simple astounding.
    They say hope begins in the dark, but most just flail around in the blackness...searching for their destiny. The darkness... for me... is where I shine. - Riddick

Exile

Deny a monochrome future!!! -Radio Gosha-