A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Beyond the Wall & Other Adventures: The Band of the Phoenix

Nestled uncomfortably between the Gloomwoods and the Troll Mountains is the village of Tathor. The farthest outpost of Baron Marshall's fiefdom, it is where you grew up hearing tales of adventure and magic. You saw adventurers come to town seeking to make names for themselves... some returned with stories... others returned on their shields... some didn't return at all. Now you've come of age and you feel the call of adventure in your bones. Will you answer it?

The Band of the Phoenix is a short campaign I'm looking to run for Flatland Games' Beyond the Wall & Other Adventures set in David Bezio's sandbox, The Phoenix Barony. I'm looking for at least three players who are willing to post at least every other day for the game to keep things going; the maximum number of players I'm looking for is 6-7.

The system is a lightweight, D&D-esque RPG that doesn't try to reinvent the wheel. It focuses on adventures more in the vein of young adult fantasy by such authors as Lloyd Alexander's Prydain Chronicles and Ursula K. LeGuin's Earthsea novels. To make start-up quick, characters and their histories can be created with playbooks found in the rulebook as well as at DriveThruRPG.

Character races include humans, dwarves, elves, halflings and gnomes; character generation will be done in the OOC thread to build ties between characters and add to the background of the game. All character supplements are on the table since they're free to download, as is any material available on the Flatland Games website.

A player's guide for the setting can be found here.

The compiled playbooks can be found here. Please note, the 11 playbooks after "The Retired Veteran" in this PDF are player-created and will be allowed only with GM approval.

Recruiting will remain open until the remaining 3-4 slots are filled.
    Last edited by Sylvre Phire; 2015-08-22 at 10:58 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Beyond the Wall & Other Adventures: The Band of the Phoenix

I'll give it a go. This one was cheap, and seems like something right up my alley.

EDIT: I know we aren't rolling characters yet, but just out of curiosity, what supplements are allowed? Since most of them are free, I sort of assume... all of them? But worth asking. Also, I can't find the Phoenix Barony anywhere, except in posts telling me it used to be free at Lulu. It doesn't even seem to be on there anymore. Is there somewhere else I could find it? I just like knowing a little about settings before I play in them.
    Last edited by Griffith!; 2015-08-15 at 02:55 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3

WolfInSheepsClothing

Okay, as Griffith! noted in his own thread, we're joining forces to cooperatively GM this game. The two of us will alternate playing and GMing.

Pax et bonum,

Dale
    Last edited by Sylvre Phire; 2015-08-16 at 04:10 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

I would love to play!

5. - Top - End - #5

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by lilcookie View Post
    I would love to play!
    Welcome aboard, Lily! We'll start chargen sometime tomorrow evening online. Looks like it's going to be just the three of us. Maybe if we get the game going we can get more people interested that way.

Pax et bonum,

Dale

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Potentially interested, but I'm not going to spend money on a game I only might play. What're the fundamental mechanics of the system?
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

7. - Top - End - #7

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    Potentially interested, but I'm not going to spend money on a game I only might play. What're the fundamental mechanics of the system?
    It's a barebones mix of D&D editions - attacks are d20+BAB roll high, saves are d20 roll-under. If you want consistency in rolling high, they do have alternate rules for the three saves (Will, Reflex, and Fortitude). The classes are simple - mage, rogue, warrior; the character's background, traits, and skills fill in the details, expanding their role into any number of the game's version of the standard classes (bard, paladin, cleric, wizard, etc). The playbooks for the game allow for accelerated chargen, so they're not as rigid as Dungeon World's playbooks (in my opinion). Interested?

Pax et bonum,

Dale
    Last edited by Sylvre Phire; 2015-08-22 at 06:35 AM. Reason: Added an addendum regarding saving throws.

8. - Top - End - #8

WolfInSheepsClothing

Just so everybody's aware, I'll open up the OOC thread for chargen later tonight. I've got a game to run @ 7 pm CST for my Star Wars group.

Pax et bonum,

Dale

9. - Top - End - #9

WolfInSheepsClothing

The OOC thread can be found here! :)